Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FNF: Glen Johnson vs Andrezej Fonfara
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Just need my boxing fix until the fights tomorrow...
BigFightFan
Glen is looking like someone's granddaddy, not sure what he can do in the ring.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 13 2012, 10:08 PM) *

Ha! Glen 'the Road Grandfather' Johnson.
Cheesey1
That left by Jose Luis Castillo looked like it accumulated a bit. A right caught Popoca too.
BigFightFan
Castillo might Have punch himself out
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 13 2012, 10:08 PM) *

No Castillo looks like somebody's granddaddy...
Cshel86
Man both of these guys dont have any pop on their punches. Looks like Castillo is punching with resistance bands. laugh.gif
Cheesey1
Aaargh, missed the KD. Castillo's looking more than decent. I don't think that he's punched himself out (ha, at least not yet).
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:23 PM) *
Aaargh, missed the KD.

Me too, smh. I forgot that I had paused the tv earlier, so I FF right past it.

Man Castillo's left hand was symbolic in that round!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:24 PM) *
Me too, smh. I forgot that I had paused the tv earlier, so I FF right past it.

3rd round. Is this where youth might come into play?
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:23 PM) *
Aaargh, missed the KD. Castillo's looking more than decent. I don't think that he's punched himself out (ha, at least not yet).

Popoca can't slip a punch to save his life. Castillo proved me wrong, I thought he would have gassed out
Cheesey1
If Popoca doesn't start trying to take Castillo's legs away with some bodywork, then Castillo's 3 rounds in the bag so far will obviously be an issue on the cards.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 13 2012, 10:28 PM) *
Popoca can't slip a punch to save his life. Castillo proved me wrong, I thought he would have gassed out

You're right. I thought so as well. You can tell that Castillo's legs aren't all there anymore...no leverage on his punches.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 13 2012, 10:28 PM) *

If Popoca starts to go to the body, then he should start wearing Castillo down. I gave Castillo the first three. The fourth is close, maybe Popoca because of activity.

That blood in Popoca's eyes is definitely an opportunity for the old man. Castillo stopped jabbing as much in that round.
Cshel86
These cuts that Popoca are wearing, are about to tell the story...
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:30 PM) *
If Popoca starts to go to the body, then he should start wearing Castillo down. I gave Castillo the first three. The fourth is close, maybe Popoca because of activity.

He is head hunting is not a good idea when you don't have power.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:34 PM) *
These cuts that Popoca are wearing, are about to tell the story...

Yup, if they start f'ing up Popoca's vision, then definitely.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 13 2012, 10:36 PM) *
He is head hunting is not a good idea when you don't have power.

Looks like Popoca's got more heart than ring intelligence...

Nice match though.

Two decent rights to the body in a row by Castillo. Make that three, if not four. Crafty geezer...

Ahh that's why, 'coz Castillo's left hand is injured.

Castillo still won that round.

Nice showing by Castillo, but hopefully he retires very soon.
Cshel86
Looks like Popoca's jaw is fractured or broken...maybe he's just swollen up. That was a decent stoppage...could've stopped it a couple of rounds ago though.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:50 PM) *
Looks like Popoca's jaw is fractured or broken...maybe he's just swollen up. That was a decent stoppage...could've stopped it a couple of rounds ago though.

The Sweet Science A.K.A the Brutal Science.
Cshel86
This 2nd round is nice for both guys!
Cheesey1
So far Johnson's thrown a mix of some nice some crisp punches, but Fonfara's a big S.O.B.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:15 PM) *
This 2nd round is nice for both guys!

Yup.

Fonfara's hooks look pretty strong. I stand corrected, the "looping" lefts and rights look strong.
Cshel86
Nice 3rd round for Fonfara! You're right Cheesey...he's a big SOB!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:22 PM) *
Nice 3rd round for Fonfara! You're right Cheesey...he's a big SOB!

Yeah man. The Road Warrior isn't shook though.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:23 PM) *
Yeah man. The Road Warrior isn't shook though.

Not at all. Im sure Fonfara is secretly shitting his pants...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:24 PM) *
Not at all. Im sure Fonfara is secretly shitting his pants...

Ha!

Surprisingly, Johnson's jabs are looking better than the taller guy. Earlier on GJ also threw a nice left to the body and head.

At the end of the rounds though, Johnson looks tired. This one is close. I'd give the Road Warrior the edge so far.

Johnson should do more body work, but I guess those looping rights and lefts might be dissuading him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:29 PM) *
Ha!

Surprisingly, Johnson's jabs are looking better than the taller guy. Earlier on GJ also threw a nice left to the body and head.

At the end of the rounds though, Johnson looks tired. This one is close. I'd give the Road Warrior the edge so far.

He does look a bit winded, it could be because of the coming up and down in weight coupled with age. He knows his way around the ring for sure. Fonfara could be doing a lot more, but Johnson's experience may be stopping him from doing so.

WTF is up with Fonfara leading with that left hook? He's asking to be knocked out...I dont advise most fighters to lead with that punch...especially of they dont have the speed.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:36 PM) *
He does look a bit winded, it could be because of the coming up and down in weight coupled with age. He knows his way around the ring for sure. Fonfara could be doing a lot more, but Johnson's experience may be stopping him from doing so.

WTF is up with Fonfara leading with that left hook? He's asking to be knocked out...I dont advise most fighters to lead with that punch...especially of they dont have the speed.

True.

Maybe Fonfara doesn't fear Johnson's right hand?

I just changed channels to Telemundo. It's in between rounds and all I understood was cabeza (cabeca?).

Johnson should've done some more body work, because if Fonfara wasn't still energetic, then Johnson would be roughing him up.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:40 PM) *
I just changed channels to Telemundo. It's in between rounds and all I understood was cabeza (cabeca?).

laugh.gif

Johnson does look spent...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:44 PM) *
laugh.gif

Fonfara's age has made the difference in the last four rounds.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:44 PM) *
laugh.gif

Yup. Johnson really and truly is the Road Warrior.

Nice right by Johnson. More pressure from Fonfara.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:47 PM) *
Yup. Johnson really and truly is the Road Warrior.

I dont see him winning this one...

Great fight for Johnson, but he didn't really do enough to take it. His body wouldn't allow him to. Funny thing is, had Johnson fought a "name" opponent on HBO or Showtime, he proably would've shown up.

It's something about guys fighting on FNF after a long career, that puts this damper on their performance and makes it look like it's the end of their careers. I've seen the "FNF effect" retire more than a few fighters.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:51 PM) *
I dont see him winning this one...

Great fight for Johnson, but he didn't really do enough to take it. His body wouldn't allow him to. Funny thing is, had Johnson fought a "name" opponent on HBO or Showtime, he proably would've shown up.

It's something about guys fighting on FNF after a long career, that puts this damper on their performance and makes it look like it's the end of their careers. I've seen the "FNF effect" retire more than a few fighters.

Agreed that Fonfara won, but Castillo looked good. Definitely an old guy, but he looked good. I also thought that Johnson looked decent, but he's an old guy who has been in battles and I think that even if he was on a bigger stage against a strong, young opponent his age would show.
Cheesey1
Time to brush up on my Spanish, courtesy of Boxeo Telemundo!!! (the exclamation marks were because everything is so dramatic on Spanish speaking channels).
Cheesey1
Ouch. Rivera caught Jimenez with a wicked right. I missed the first few rounds, but so far it looks close.
Cshel86
Oh sheesh, I thought it was a swing bout. I forgot that you watching the spanish channel. Lol
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 14 2012, 12:04 AM) *
Oh sheesh, I thought it was a swing bout. I forgot that you watching the spanish channel. Lol

Haha, yeah man. She went out, so I can watch boxing until I'm blue in the face!!!
Cheesey1
The punch count has dropped quite a bit. The rounds that I've watched are definitely see-saw rounds.

Thudding right to the body by Jimenez. Ay caramba!!!

Apart from that punishing right hand earlier on in the fight, based on the rounds that I've seen so far, I've got Jimenez slightly ahead.

Rivera just landed a nice uppercut. This one is definitely close.

10th round to Rivera (maybe) because he landed the bigger punches, but this one is still close.

Maybe it's just a stylistic preference, but so far I've got Jimenez eking this one. It would help if I'd watched the first few rounds...
Cshel86
I dont even believe I have that channel, smh...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 14 2012, 12:22 AM) *
I dont even believe I have that channel, smh...

Really? That sucks. Did you check your cable provider's site to see if you have it?
Cheesey1
Jimenez is the busier boxer in the 12th, but Rivera's advancing.

Great last 20 seconds. Based on what I saw, I could easily score it a draw, or slight advantage to Jimenez.

El nuevo Campion...Rivera. Maybe he led in the earlier rounds. Decent match. A bit rudimentary at times, but not bad overall.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 14 2012, 12:24 AM) *
Really? That sucks. Did you check your cable provider's site to see if you have it?

Is this the Tyson Marquez and Fernando Lumacad bout?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 14 2012, 12:34 AM) *
Is this the Tyson Marquez and Fernando Lumacad bout?

No, that one was Edgar ‘Power’ Jimenez (15-6-1) vs. Julian ‘Chicano’ Rivera (11-6-1). Flyweights.

The other one that I'm waiting for is Pablo ‘Pokemon’ Farias (20-2-0) vs. Alvaro ‘Pantera’ Enriquez (11-10-2). Super middleweights.

Whatever's in 'Weekend in Boxing', I try to watch.

The one that you mentioned wasn't on my radar. I just looked it up and it looks like it might be decent. There's some boxing in Japan on either Sat./Sunday (serious time difference) which I'll try to catch. I think that the boxer of interest's name is Uchiyama. I've forgotten his first name
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.