Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should hbo just reel in jim lampley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.

laugh.gif

max sucks these day...so i disagree with the last statement.
Dolimite
I have detested Jim ever since he divorced Bree Walker. She made that asshole and the moment he got on top he left her. The question is who would they get to replace him with? They could try to yank Teddy Atlas from ESPN but Teddy would tell Max to shut the fuck up ( rightly so) and then we would have issues. I honestly feel that Jim has started to believe his own shit. He is a disgruntle asshole. He has lost his zest and his boxing show sucks. He is losing ground and to be honest I can not wait for the day he leaves. I use to be a Cowboy fan but until they get rid of that fucking choke artist of a QB I will never cheer for Dallas. This is how I feel about HBO until they get fans of the sport to announce these fights I am riding with Showtime!
Jack 1000
I know a guy where a comment of Jim's pissed him off to no end!

It was the week after HBO did a PPV fight, showing the tape delay on "Regular HBO." Lamply would always say, "Let's go back to the way I CALLED IT", with Larry Merchant and (whoever else tended the broadcast.) I never thought about that again until this post, but Jim's comment "the way I called it" does imply a level of aggrogence or concietedness that we have been discussing in this thread.

But speaking of arrogance, Teddy Atlas is much top conceited He's worse than anybody at HBO, is an opinionated SOB who thinks his shit doesn't stink, and thinks like he knows everything. He's very over-rated and is not this boxing czar that he claims to be. The only defense that I will give Teddy is that as pompous as he is, his beliefs are very genuine. Teddy will NEVER be a team player, and would literally come to blows with anyone at HBO, who want the public in a "Yes Men, We can all get along mentality." Jim and Larry have their own arrogance and agenda's, but do it in more group think ways. Teddy could beat somebody up if arguing got bad enough and would be shown the door. I know he once punched a cameraman at ESPN.

Teddy and Max at ESPN back in the Friday Night Fight days, just would not STFU!. Teddy talks too much now as it is.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 26 2013, 11:09 PM) *
I have detested Jim ever since he divorced Bree Walker. She made that asshole and the moment he got on top he left her. The question is who would they get to replace him with? They could try to yank Teddy Atlas from ESPN but Teddy would tell Max to shut the fuck up ( rightly so) and then we would have issues. I honestly feel that Jim has started to believe his own shit. He is a disgruntle asshole. He has lost his zest and his boxing show sucks. He is losing ground and to be honest I can not wait for the day he leaves. I use to be a Cowboy fan but until they get rid of that fucking choke artist of a QB I will never cheer for Dallas. This is how I feel about HBO until they get fans of the sport to announce these fights I am riding with Showtime!

i try to tune him out when i watch hbo...it's really hard to do it though.

showtime has been the shit for a while and their commentary team is tight minus the wrestling dude. he's annoying. i miss tarver and gus johnson but malignaggi is an excellent replacement. so is trout.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 11:28 PM) *
I know a guy where a comment of Jim's pissed him off to no end!

It was the week after HBO did a PPV fight, showing the tape delay on "Regular HBO." Lamply would always say, "Let's go back to the way I CALLED IT", with Larry Merchant and (whoever else tended the broadcast.) I never thought about that again until this post, but Jim's comment "the way I called it" does imply a level of aggrogence or concietedness that we have been discussing in this thread.

But speaking of arrogance, Teddy Atlas is much top conceited He's worse than anybody at HBO, is an opinionated SOB who thinks his shit doesn't stink, and thinks like he knows everything. He's very over-rated and is not this boxing czar that he claims to be. The only defense that I will give Teddy is that as pompous as he is, his beliefs are very genuine. Teddy will NEVER be a team player, and would literally come to blows with anyone at HBO, who want the public in a "Yes Men, We can all get along mentality." Jim and Larry have their own arrogance and agenda's, but do it in more group think ways. Teddy could beat somebody up if arguing got bad enough and would be shown the door. I know he once punched a cameraman at ESPN.

Teddy and Max at ESPN back in the Friday Night Fight days, just would not STFU!. Teddy talks too much now as it is.

Jack

teddy can be annoying...but the thing that separates him imo is that he actually educates the viewers. lampley and max mis-educate them.
Jack 1000
HBO Commentary Agendas

I echo the sentiments of what has been expressed around the Internet boxing community. HBO, once the boxing leader in sports boxing broadcasts has for the last several years pushed an agenda to “Build Stars Against C-grade competition” instead of working to produce the most exciting, or often two-sided matches.

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-poms to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Punch Stat and HBO’s inherent favorable bias for the fighters in their network also in recent years shows the commentary, both Lamply and Larry Merchant have a dislike for slick scientific boxers on their network. Floyd Mayweather left HBO we believe because he felt he was not getting the proper respect from the network. The series of Gatti-Ward fights, the first fight being outstanding, but the next two fights WAY over hyped by Jim Lamply, Larry Merchant and crew created an illusion that became more and more real over the last decade. HBO caters to sluggers over boxers for the fights on their network.

My take is that this is not necessarily a bad thing, but is a ratings grabber for the shorter attention spans of today’s generation. They want brawls. They want all fights to be “Rocky Movies.” If they aren’t Rocky movies, today’s “I want to be entertained now!” generation, falls back on Mixed Martial Arts. The respect for The Sweet Science is nowhere near what it was in the past.

Jack
VJones
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 27 2013, 07:27 PM) *
teddy can be annoying...but the thing that separates him imo is that he actually educates the viewers. lampley and max mis-educate them.

Agreed, Prof! Sometimes I'm like...okay Teddy, we get it...but he's the only one I trust to give us what he whole-heartedly believes to be the truth. And he definitely brings a love and plethora of knowledge about The Sweet Science.

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 29 2013, 12:56 AM) *
HBO Commentary Agendas

I echo the sentiments of what has been expressed around the Internet boxing community. HBO, once the boxing leader in sports boxing broadcasts has for the last several years pushed an agenda to “Build Stars Against C-grade competition” instead of working to produce the most exciting, or often two-sided matches.

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-poms to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Punch Stat and HBO’s inherent favorable bias for the fighters in their network also in recent years shows the commentary, both Lamply and Larry Merchant have a dislike for slick scientific boxers on their network. Floyd Mayweather left HBO we believe because he felt he was not getting the proper respect from the network. The series of Gatti-Ward fights, the first fight being outstanding, but the next two fights WAY over hyped by Jim Lamply, Larry Merchant and crew created an illusion that became more and more real over the last decade. HBO caters to sluggers over boxers for the fights on their network.

My take is that this is not necessarily a bad thing, but is a ratings grabber for the shorter attention spans of today’s generation. They want brawls. They want all fights to be “Rocky Movies.” If they aren’t Rocky movies, today’s “I want to be entertained now!” generation, falls back on Mixed Martial Arts. The respect for The Sweet Science is nowhere near what it was in the past.

Jack

Great stuff, Jack!
BrutUalBK
HBO Commentary Agendas

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-"to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Jack

+1 and then some!! Especially the last part about this fast food generation we live in today. Like I said; "HBO hates technical fighters like Hopkins and Mayweather, my suspicion is that this will not change as they have obviously forced TB into being a Caveman type fighter like Gatti, Margo, Alvarado and Rios who simply come forward and throw punches.

I hope that fighters on their network finally figure out that this type of fighting kills any thought of longevity in this sport before it's too late.
daprofessor
HBO Commentary Agendas

Jack

i totally disagree. it's a very bad thing. forget the ratings....it's an attempt to compromise our sport!!! i never particularly cared for the rocky series because they are a caricature of what boxing truly is!!! today's generation is fucked because of their lack of focus/short attention spans. boxing should not compromise itself to appease some idiots. let them have mma.
daprofessor
QUOTE (VJones @ Mar 29 2013, 02:06 AM) *
Agreed, Prof! Sometimes I'm like...okay Teddy, we get it...but he's the only one I trust to give us what he whole-heartedly believes to be the truth. And he definitely brings a love and plethora of knowledge about The Sweet Science.

i was watching a great documentary on cus d'amato and teddy atlas last night. it was great and reminder that guys like teddy and cus are rare these days.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 02:23 PM) *
i totally disagree. it's a very bad thing. forget the ratings....it's an attempt to compromise our sport!!! i never particularly cared for the rocky series because they are a caricature of what boxing truly is!!! today's generation is fucked because of their lack of focus/short attention spans. boxing should not compromise itself to appease some idiots. let them have mma.

I agree with that, but I do not agree that all people who follow MMA are idiots and neither are the fighters. MMA is a very technical sport, especially when it comes to the ground game Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling but I do get your drift as it appears many who do not appreciate the technical aspects of boxing tend to lean towards that sport.

It is sad that today when you mention the word "boxing" to most people in this generation what they think of is two guys just slugging it out, they have no appreciation whatsoever of the real skill a true Master Boxer displays like Floyd and Hopkins.

daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 29 2013, 02:53 PM) *
I agree with that, but I do not agree that all people who follow MMA are idiots and neither are the fighters. MMA is a very technical sport, especially when it comes to the ground game Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling but I do get your drift as it appears many who do not appreciate the technical aspects of boxing tend to lean towards that sport.

It is sad that today when you mention the word "boxing" to most people in this generation what they think of is two guys just slugging it out, they have no appreciation whatsoever of the real skill a true Master Boxer displays like Floyd and Hopkins.

i was at a place of business last week and i was wearing a boxing t-shirt. the guy at the register and i had a brief conversation about boxing and how he really loved the sport. i shared his sentiment but a woman standing behind me chimed in and expressed her opinion almost in disgust...'how can you support such a savage sport where the goal is for two men to beat each others brains out?' i smiled and replied..."i understand why a casual observer would describe it that way....but there is definitely more to it than meets the eye! boxing takes intelligence to succeed. yeah, to some extent, there are some in the sport who aren't as skillful as others...but on the highest levels...it takes extreme intelligence to be the best. boxing is a thinking persons sport. it's like chess. every move has to be calculated just right in fractions of a second...and if you get it wrong...u get punched in the face." i went on to say...."and it's not just a sport for men, our last gold medal winner for the u.s. was a woman!!! and 2 of the heavyweight champions in men's pro boxing are doctors who speak 7 languages!!! there's a lot more to the sport than you realize." she replied....'well when you put it like that, you make me want to watch it!!!' i turned to the guy at the register and said..."my work here is done. take care." laugh.gif

part of the problem that exists today is that the people who cover our sport don't truly understand it...so how are they to educate the public? most of the fans i see in boxing regurgitate the same bullshit spewed by some of the arrogant/pompous commentators or some hack website so called journalist. we have to take it upon ourselves to educate the fans if they won't.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 08:27 PM) *
i was at a place of business last week and i was wearing a boxing t-shirt. the guy at the register and i had a brief conversation about boxing and how he really loved the sport. i shared his sentiment but a woman standing behind me chimed in and expressed her opinion almost in disgust...'how can you support such a savage sport where the goal is for two men to beat each others brains out?' i smiled and replied..."i understand why a casual observer would describe it that way....but there is definitely more to it than meets the eye! boxing takes intelligence to succeed. yeah, to some extent, there are some in the sport who aren't as skillful as others...but on the highest levels...it takes extreme intelligence to be the best. boxing is a thinking persons sport. it's like chess. every move has to be calculated just right in fractions of a second...and if you get it wrong...u get punched in the face." i went on to say...."and it's not just a sport for men, our last gold medal winner for the u.s. was a woman!!! and 2 of the heavyweight champions in men's pro boxing are doctors who speak 7 languages!!! there's a lot more to the sport than you realize." she replied....'well when you put it like that, you make me want to watch it!!!' i turned to the guy at the register and said..."my work here is done. take care." laugh.gif

part of the problem that exists today is that the people who cover our sport don't truly understand it...so how are they to educate the public? most of the fans i see in boxing regurgitate the same bullshit spewed by some of the arrogant/pompous commentators or some hack website so called journalist. we have to take it upon ourselves to educate the fans if they won't.

Wow, if I didn't have any sense, I'd think that she was ready to pounce you sir.

The reason that you weren't more of a creepy opportunist is this situation (as my creepy ass would've been), I have no idea. Think about it Professor, women love it when you make them stfu in an intelligent manner...for some reason they feel less embarrassed and more turned on. What a weird species they are.

laugh.gif
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 07:27 PM) *

Very well stated, I'm sure she thought about it even more when she hears the word boxing for now on.
scdrking2
HBO Commentary Agendas

Jack

Your comments here rang in my ear while watching the undercard of the Rios-Alvarado fight. You had a young fighter on short notice taking a step up in weight and competition who put on a boxing clinic, but was booed by the crowd who came to see a blood filled slug fest in the main fight.
Franchize
Lampley is only good for fights like Rios v Alvarado now. One can't deny. The guy has an epic voice for this sport. That being said, the actual CONTENT of what he's saying is way out of wack #1 Because he, after all these years, still can't accurate detect punches landed and punches blocked or dodged. #2 Because he's so disgustingly biased it is not only ridiculous but completely unprofessional.

Roy Jones is saving the commentary on HBO. Kellerman, much like Dan Rafael at ESPN, knows a lot but will sit back idly and let bias dwarf his better judgement. In other words, rather than saying "hey Jim, STFU this is a good boxing match" or "hey Jim, this slugger isn't all that skilled and none of these flurries he's throwing are landing"...Kellerman just shuts the fuck up. I got on Dan Rafael on his Facebook page about his irresponsibility at ESPN. He allows clowns like Skip Bayless to have the loudest opinion on sports most visible network when Bayless admits to not even knowing who Canelo Alvarez is. He cowardly deleted my post. It's time the REAL boxing savants have the loudest voice in the sport, and the guys simply there for their voice and personality sit and just provide us with some melodic oohs and ahhhs. I'm tired of the fighters and trainers, who put the extra time in to master the mental aspect of the sport, being penalized socially.

If you want an opinion on Boxing on TV, most casual fans usually turn to HBO and ESPN. You get "The Fight Game" from HBO and First Take from ESPN (their boxing show with Brian Kenny gets no advertisement push). So, essentially, the casual fan is looking to Jim Lampley and Skip Bayless to help formulate their opinion on a very complex sport.

I say this all the time but there's a big difference between Boxing and Fighting. Pretty much everyone has had some form of a fight. Not everyone can. There are some very irresponsible clowns that are blurring that difference. It's called the Sweet Science and they are trying to turn it into Mathematics. How many big punches did you throw?
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 31 2013, 11:53 AM) *
Lampley is only good for fights like Rios v Alvarado now. One can't deny. The guy has an epic voice for this sport. That being said, the actual CONTENT of what he's saying is way out of wack #1 Because he, after all these years, still can't accurate detect punches landed and punches blocked or dodged. #2 Because he's so disgustingly biased it is not only ridiculous but completely unprofessional.

Roy Jones is saving the commentary on HBO. Kellerman, much like Dan Rafael at ESPN, knows a lot but will sit back idly and let bias dwarf his better judgement. In other words, rather than saying "hey Jim, STFU this is a good boxing match" or "hey Jim, this slugger isn't all that skilled and none of these flurries he's throwing are landing"...Kellerman just shuts the fuck up. I got on Dan Rafael on his Facebook page about his irresponsibility at ESPN. He allows clowns like Skip Bayless to have the loudest opinion on sports most visible network when Bayless admits to not even knowing who Canelo Alvarez is. He cowardly deleted my post. It's time the REAL boxing savants have the loudest voice in the sport, and the guys simply there for their voice and personality sit and just provide us with some melodic oohs and ahhhs. I'm tired of the fighters and trainers, who put the extra time in to master the mental aspect of the sport, being penalized socially.

If you want an opinion on Boxing on TV, most casual fans usually turn to HBO and ESPN. You get "The Fight Game" from HBO and First Take from ESPN (their boxing show with Brian Kenny gets no advertisement push). So, essentially, the casual fan is looking to Jim Lampley and Skip Bayless to help formulate their opinion on a very complex sport.

I say this all the time but there's a big difference between Boxing and Fighting. Pretty much everyone has had some form of a fight. Not everyone can. There are some very irresponsible clowns that are blurring that difference. It's called the Sweet Science and they are trying to turn it into Mathematics. How many big punches did you throw?

Very well stated and I agree that many of today's so called TV Journalist or Sportscasters are too biased on their favorite fighters to simply comment objectively, it's almost as though they are telling us what we should believe or see during a fight or about a certain fighter(s). On DHB there was a certain boxing pundit who claims to be a Journalist but yet he displayed no objectivity whatsoever when it came to speaking about MP, I went to war with that clown and just like Rafael did to you this guy did the same to me (he shut me out/blocked my posts so he couldn't read them) and now he's supposedly some highly respected Journalist for boxing.

The guy hung out all day long at the Wildcard Gym and defended anything you said about MP, FR or Bob Arum and I labeled him a Top Rank Shill for which he had no defense whatsoever and yet the blinded PacTARD faithful hangs on to this guy's every word as though it is the gospel truth especially when he speaks about MP or against Floyd Mayweather.

I won't name him but I guarantee that Da Professor knows who I'm talking about. These are all the clowns we have representing the sport that the unsuspecting public now listens to on a regular basis, it's no wonder why they booed in the Prescott fight last night. Go figure!!
Jack 1000
The one plus for Lamply and it is HUGE as stated above, He's got the best voice for a "Boxing Brawl." It draws the viewer into the action. However, there's not really a lot of other positives about him. I noted LESS favoritism, in fact very little last night because HBO loved both guys for brawling the first time, so you really had a good reasonably objective call.

But if it's "One of HBO's contracted fighters against a C+ type opponent, that C+ type opponent has to damn near kill the "HBO guy" for guys like Lamply to acknowledge them. And even when their "smiling sweethearts" make their millions on the network against lessor known guys, HBO commentary will bend over backwards, to make love to their contracted fighters.

The house bias started with Roy Jones, got very nauseating with Delahoya, and than the same with Gatti than Pacquiao, and now Rios and Alverado. Note that when the house fighters brawl against other house fighters, this is where HBO shows the least bias. The thing is though Jones was not a natural brawler, and neither was Delahoya, but Jim would just blush, coddle and coo at the mention of Delahoya's name. Larry Merchant was once suspended for a boxing telecast by saying "Delahoya's entrance music sucked." I wonder who made that decision? I think there has been for a very long time, higher ups at HBO telling the pom-pom shakers for whom to shake them.

Since Mayweather and Hopkins are master boxers in their prime, I believe that they don't really have the likable personality. Over time, these factors made the higher-ups at HBO lose respect for them. Floyd's always been more hated than loved by anybody. I think his strong ratings might also be attributed to those who just want to see him lose no matter what. Hopkins is street-wise, but very bitter and opinionated. He doesn't fall into the "Can't we all get along and love our fighters flagship model at HBO." Woman worshipped Delahoya even though Oscar almost always lost his big fights, and perhaps somebody at HBO as a producer, wanted to parade Delahoya to make him more appealing to woman, even though most woman don't like boxing. They might have watched HBO just to see Delahoya.

The model for HBO boxing in order to be respected by the current commentary and production team is the following:

1.) Any brawler who can engage in two-sided wars that can create excitement from fight to fight. Get two brawlers who do that as often as they can, this yields great fights. OR

2.) A Pretty Boy boxer, but he must have a likeable, charismatic personality. If he doesn't have that, HBO thinks, "Not worth our time."

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 31 2013, 12:53 PM) *
I got on Dan Rafael on his Facebook page about his irresponsibility at ESPN.

I would've paid to read that. laugh.gif
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 31 2013, 09:22 PM) *
I would've paid to read that. laugh.gif

He deleted it too. I actually felt honored lol That a world renowned boxing journalist not only took the time to read it, but to get rid of it rather than match me wit for wit lmaooooo I've heard of "If you can't beat em join em." but never "If you can't beat em, delete em." laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 1 2013, 09:13 AM) *
He deleted it too. I actually felt honored lol That a world renowned boxing journalist not only took the time to read it, but to get rid of it rather than match me wit for wit lmaooooo I've heard of "If you can't beat em join em." but never "If you can't beat em, delete em." laugh.gif

LOL

I bet he did delete it. Dude's the most unenthusiastic boxing writer known to mankind. He just sucks the life out of everything, and his Jabba the Hut appearance help matters at all. Maybe I'm just tired of looking at fat people who refuse to lose weight...lose some weight dammit!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 29 2013, 09:26 PM) *
Wow, if I didn't have any sense, I'd think that she was ready to pounce you sir.

The reason that you weren't more of a creepy opportunist is this situation (as my creepy ass would've been), I have no idea. Think about it Professor, women love it when you make them stfu in an intelligent manner...for some reason they feel less embarrassed and more turned on. What a weird species they are.

laugh.gif

i'll take your word on that one. i'm not going to pretend i have them figured out. i just left before she could get in the last word. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 30 2013, 05:20 PM) *
Very well stated, I'm sure she thought about it even more when she hears the word boxing for now on.

hopefully.
daprofessor
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 31 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Your comments here rang in my ear while watching the undercard of the Rios-Alvarado fight. You had a young fighter on short notice taking a step up in weight and competition who put on a boxing clinic, but was booed by the crowd who came to see a blood filled slug fest in the main fight.

same here. jack was on point with that.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 31 2013, 11:53 AM) *

solid post. i disagree with you about dan rafael being knowledgeable. kellerman used to be...but these days he's sounding like an ass. roy jones clearly saves the day for hbo 'son.' laugh.gif i don't watch skip bayless enough to be upset about the dude...but i'm not sure why anyone would listen to an ass clown like that to be honest.

daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 31 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Very well stated and I agree that many of today's so called TV Journalist or Sportscasters are too biased on their favorite fighters to simply comment objectively, it's almost as though they are telling us what we should believe or see during a fight or about a certain fighter(s). On DHB there was a certain boxing pundit who claims to be a Journalist but yet he displayed no objectivity whatsoever when it came to speaking about MP, I went to war with that clown and just like Rafael did to you this guy did the same to me (he shut me out/blocked my posts so he couldn't read them) and now he's supposedly some highly respected Journalist for boxing.

The guy hung out all day long at the Wildcard Gym and defended anything you said about MP, FR or Bob Arum and I labeled him a Top Rank Shill for which he had no defense whatsoever and yet the blinded PacTARD faithful hangs on to this guy's every word as though it is the gospel truth especially when he speaks about MP or against Floyd Mayweather.

I won't name him but I guarantee that Da Professor knows who I'm talking about. These are all the clowns we have representing the sport that the unsuspecting public now listens to on a regular basis, it's no wonder why they booed in the Prescott fight last night. Go figure!!

i'm so far removed from their small world. you remind me of their existence with posts like these. laugh.gif do they represent the sport? i never thought they did. does the public listen to them? if so, they deserve the misinformation.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 1 2013, 08:13 AM) *

you're giving him way too much credit.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 31 2013, 03:59 PM) *
The one plus for Lamply and it is HUGE as stated above, He's got the best voice for a "Boxing Brawl." It draws the viewer into the action. However, there's not really a lot of other positives about him. I noted LESS favoritism, in fact very little last night because HBO loved both guys for brawling the first time, so you really had a good reasonably objective call.

But if it's "One of HBO's contracted fighters against a C+ type opponent, that C+ type opponent has to damn near kill the "HBO guy" for guys like Lamply to acknowledge them. And even when their "smiling sweethearts" make their millions on the network against lessor known guys, HBO commentary will bend over backwards, to make love to their contracted fighters.

The house bias started with Roy Jones, got very nauseating with Delahoya, and than the same with Gatti than Pacquiao, and now Rios and Alverado. Note that when the house fighters brawl against other house fighters, this is where HBO shows the least bias. The thing is though Jones was not a natural brawler, and neither was Delahoya, but Jim would just blush, coddle and coo at the mention of Delahoya's name. Larry Merchant was once suspended for a boxing telecast by saying "Delahoya's entrance music sucked." I wonder who made that decision? I think there has been for a very long time, higher ups at HBO telling the pom-pom shakers for whom to shake them.

Since Mayweather and Hopkins are master boxers in their prime, I believe that they don't really have the likable personality. Over time, these factors made the higher-ups at HBO lose respect for them. Floyd's always been more hated than loved by anybody. I think his strong ratings might also be attributed to those who just want to see him lose no matter what. Hopkins is street-wise, but very bitter and opinionated. He doesn't fall into the "Can't we all get along and love our fighters flagship model at HBO." Woman worshipped Delahoya even though Oscar almost always lost his big fights, and perhaps somebody at HBO as a producer, wanted to parade Delahoya to make him more appealing to woman, even though most woman don't like boxing. They might have watched HBO just to see Delahoya.

The model for HBO boxing in order to be respected by the current commentary and production team is the following:

1.) Any brawler who can engage in two-sided wars that can create excitement from fight to fight. Get two brawlers who do that as often as they can, this yields great fights. OR

2.) A Pretty Boy boxer, but he must have a likeable, charismatic personality. If he doesn't have that, HBO thinks, "Not worth our time."

Jack

lampley could have the voice of fergie/jesus....but with the shit he says...it doesn't matter. he kills it for me. i can't listen to his commentary.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 03:26 PM) *
i'll take your word on that one. i'm not going to pretend i have them figured out. i just left before she could get in the last word. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Had you stuck around, you'd saw the wrath of a woman who couldn't decisively get the last word in. Lol
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 03:42 PM) *
you're giving him way too much credit.

I don't think so. I'm not saying he's good. I'm saying he's globally known. Let's face it, ESPN is BY FAR the biggest sports outlet in America...possibly the world. He's their go to guy.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 3 2013, 10:29 AM) *
I don't think so. I'm not saying he's good. I'm saying he's globally known. Let's face it, ESPN is BY FAR the biggest sports outlet in America...possibly the world. He's their go to guy.

i guess i'm giving too much value to the term "world renowned"

crack and meth are 'world renowned' doesn't make them good though. laugh.gif
Franchize
So I'm up late last night, as usual, and can't sleep. I turn to Showtime, and they're replaying Ortiz vs Lopez for some reason. So I decide, ahhh wtf, let me watch it. Gus and Al were calling the fight. I couldn't help but notice how well Gus Johnson not only called the fight (which is no surprise because he may be one of the greatest sports announcers of all time already) but how accurate he saw landed blows. I mean he was seeing stuff I didn't see and needed a replay to catch. Then, I said to myself here is a guy who's covered tons of sports from MMA, to boxing, to the NBA, to college basketball. He also has been the voice for Madden. Clearly, his focus isn't solely on boxing. Yet Jim Lampley primarily does this for a living and has been longer than I've been alive. This motherfucker has even summoned the aid of what I believe to be 3D glasses lol. Yet this motherfucker still has ZERO clue about punches landed and punches blocked or missed. So I leave you with this one question: What the Fuck!?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 5 2013, 09:21 AM) *
So I'm up late last night, as usual, and can't sleep. I turn to Showtime, and they're replaying Ortiz vs Lopez for some reason. So I decide, ahhh wtf, let me watch it. Gus and Al were calling the fight. I couldn't help but notice how well Gus Johnson not only called the fight (which is no surprise because he may be one of the greatest sports announcers of all time already) but how accurate he saw landed blows. I mean he was seeing stuff I didn't see and needed a replay to catch. Then, I said to myself here is a guy who's covered tons of sports from MMA, to boxing, to the NBA, to college basketball. He also has been the voice for Madden. Clearly, his focus isn't solely on boxing. Yet Jim Lampley primarily does this for a living and has been longer than I've been alive. This motherfucker has even summoned the aid of what I believe to be 3D glasses lol. Yet this motherfucker still has ZERO clue about punches landed and punches blocked or missed. So I leave you with this one question: What the Fuck!?

Man...I would tell you to cut and paste this shit and open a thread, but I forgot that we're already in the Lampley thread. laugh.gif

Gotta love Gus Johnson! He even calls it when the favored fighter gets hit good or hurt...something that Lampley refuses to do. Since we're talking about fights, I watched Chavez/Martinez last night, and oh my freakin' goodness, the whole announcer's table (aside from Roy), gave Sergio the biggest blowjob ever.

I mean the whoooole fight consisted of Martinez accolades. Even when Sergio got dumb for the last 3 rounds and was getting wacked, Lampley just accept it. Sergio almost got dropped after an exchange and Lampley starts praising him for fighting back and not holding. As soon as he got dropped and got up, you can hear it in Lampley's voice...nothing but sorrow and false hope.

I hate that guy nowadays. The senseless accolades throughout the fight, made me hate Sergio for about 30 of those 36 minutes...and I like Sergio. The way they were praising him was ridiculous. Chavez should've just came to the fight, went down on a jab, and not even try to make the count. Up until the 11th round, i asked myself, why is Chavez even here man?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 5 2013, 08:21 AM) *

laugh.gif

i didn't like johnson in the beginning because of his voice...but he grew on me. showtime needs to make him a regular and get rid of the wwe/mma guy. he sucks.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Man...I would tell you to cut and paste this shit and open a thread, but I forgot that we're already in the Lampley thread. laugh.gif

Gotta love Gus Johnson! He even calls it when the favored fighter gets hit good or hurt...something that Lampley refuses to do. Since we're talking about fights, I watched Chavez/Martinez last night, and oh my freakin' goodness, the whole announcer's table (aside from Roy), gave Sergio the biggest blowjob ever.

I mean the whoooole fight consisted of Martinez accolades. Even when Sergio got dumb for the last 3 rounds and was getting wacked, Lampley just accept it. Sergio almost got dropped after an exchange and Lampley starts praising him for fighting back and not holding. As soon as he got dropped and got up, you can hear it in Lampley's voice...nothing but sorrow and false hope.

I hate that guy nowadays. The senseless accolades throughout the fight, made me hate Sergio for about 30 of those 36 minutes...and I like Sergio. The way they were praising him was ridiculous. Chavez should've just came to the fight, went down on a jab, and not even try to make the count. Up until the 11th round, i asked myself, why is Chavez even here man?

lampley is all that is wrong with hbo. seriously...they need to get rid of him before it's too late. let him keep his crappy show that i don't watch. let him keeps is bullshit 'gatti award' for praising fighters that fight foolish and wrecklessly. dude is an ass clown...and if hbo wants to be respectable again...they get rid of him.
Jack 1000
Found some good shit about the annoying Lamply over on Boxing Scene. Including a funny (in a disgusting way) video of his love for Manny "Bang!" "Bang!" Pacquiao:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598518

Jack
mrchitown
I hope they do grow the balls to get rid of him. I think they should utilize people who've actually been in the sport
I miss hearing big George call fights
klonopinz
i also miss george. he was at his best during a trinidad fight. man he loved trinidad! you could just tell, and he made me love trinidad even more. nobody at hbo i have any respect for anymore. after steward passed. the last person who kept people listening to hbo moved on, and thats when we said fuck it. Now they have nothing but fake ass wannabes. hell even roy jones i dont care that much for, just because he has tainted his career so much i guess, and i love ward, but i feel he shuldnt be wasting energy doing this, he should be fighting. commentary is for afterward
Jack 1000
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 14 2013, 12:32 AM) *
i also miss george. he was at his best during a trinidad fight. man he loved trinidad! you could just tell, and he made me love trinidad even more. nobody at hbo i have any respect for anymore. after steward passed. the last person who kept people listening to hbo moved on, and thats when we said fuck it. Now they have nothing but fake ass wannabes. hell even roy jones i dont care that much for, just because he has tainted his career so much i guess, and i love ward, but i feel he shuldnt be wasting energy doing this, he should be fighting. commentary is for afterward

But what I remember during Trinidad-Delahoya, not once did anyone (including George) compliment Trinidad. The pom-poms were in full force for Delahoya that night. I do remember George messing up the name and said, "There's a right by Oscar Trinidad!" LOL! Sometimes George could say stupid shit, and I don't think Merchant and he got along too well. I agree with you. The leadership is gone. Or the leadership serves ONLY to promote the HBO contracted fighter worse than in the past. EVEN IF HE LOSES!

Jack
Dolimite
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 14 2013, 02:00 AM) *
But what I remember during Trinidad-Delahoya, not once did anyone (including George) compliment Trinidad. The pom-poms were in full force for Delahoya that night. I do remember George messing up the name and said, "There's a right by Oscar Trinidad!" LOL! Sometimes George could say stupid shit, and I don't think Merchant and he got along too well. I agree with you. The leadership is gone. Or the leadership serves ONLY to promote the HBO contracted fighter worse than in the past. EVEN IF HE LOSES!

Jack

See Donaire! Got his ass beat and he gets a fight before Rigondeaux. George has his promotional hat on and he is working with his son's boxing career. They could try to pull Teddy Atlas from ESPN and see how that goes. But Teddy is not a yes man so that could be problematic. I could see Max and Teddy going back and forth. Right now Showtime has the right formula. Announcers that are actually fans of the sport. Paulie M. announcing was a brilliant thing to do. He brings energy and he knows his shit.
Franchize
When are the going to change the title of the Fight Game to We Hate Floyd TV?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 16 2013, 03:09 PM) *
When are the going to change the title of the Fight Game to We Hate Floyd TV?

other names to consider:

fight spin...

wdksab...

the fight game...a homotional diatribe by jim "bang, bang, bang!" lampley

laugh.gif

Jack 1000
I found this interesting article today,

By an overwhelming majority consensus, most of our community believes that there are too many boxing commentators who talk too much. Especially Lamply and my personal groans against Teddy Atlas-not just for his arrogance and "thinks he knows everything agendas." Just let the fighters fight and STFO. Some have suggested should there be an option to Mute commentary in boxing, where all you hear would be crowd noise. Well in December of 1980, NBC tried this with a football game and NO commentators, because the CEO at the time thought they "Talked too much."

I wonder what they would think if they heard Lamply or Atlas today. where talk too much takes on a new meaning. Here is the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

You wonder how well or not well this would work for boxing?

Jack
Franchize
Jim Lampley single-handedly annihilated any Terrence Crawford buzz amog casual fans. Granted, the fight wasn't exciting nor impressive, but there are ways a journalist can embellish and otherwise lack luster situation. Kellerman and RJ Jr tried their best to do so. Harold Letterman even hyped up Crawford's jab output. Jim Lampley, who is solely there for his theatrical sound effects and certainly not for his boxing knowledge, obliterated the telecast. He kicked the entire night while it was down lol Time for him and his 3D glasses to go gentle into that good night.
Cshel86
This thread is a lifer! It never dies....

cool.gif
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 7 2013, 12:25 PM) *
This thread is a lifer! It never dies....

cool.gif

Much like Larry Merchant lmao
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 7 2013, 02:53 PM) *
Much like Larry Merchant lmao

Larry had ringside seats to David vs Goliath...I'm convinced. That dude is ancient.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 7 2013, 12:22 AM) *
I found this interesting article today,

By an overwhelming majority consensus, most of our community believes that there are too many boxing commentators who talk too much. Especially Lamply and my personal groans against Teddy Atlas-not just for his arrogance and "thinks he knows everything agendas." Just let the fighters fight and STFO. Some have suggested should there be an option to Mute commentary in boxing, where all you hear would be crowd noise. Well in December of 1980, NBC tried this with a football game and NO commentators, because the CEO at the time thought they "Talked too much."

I wonder what they would think if they heard Lamply or Atlas today. where talk too much takes on a new meaning. Here is the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

You wonder how well or not well this would work for boxing?

Jack

Nope, won't work, mainly b/c fans (even those who say they know the most about boxing) need someone to tell them what they're seeing. No one will admit that, but that's the truth......as far as I see it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 7 2013, 04:17 PM) *
Nope, won't work, mainly b/c fans (even those who say they know the most about boxing) need someone to tell them what they're seeing. No one will admit that, but that's the truth......as far as I see it.

I disagree. Have u been to a live fight? What would be better than having that experience in the comfort of your living room??? I've been a huge advocate of HBO giving us the option of shutting Jim up or teaching him to mime during telecasts. The guy is horrible for boxing IMO. Nothing he says or does is good. Kellerman is becoming merchant. It's all gone horribly wrong.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 7 2013, 07:35 PM) *
I disagree. Have u been to a live fight? What would be better than having that experience in the comfort of your living room??? I've been a huge advocate of HBO giving us the option of shutting Jim up or teaching him to mime during telecasts. The guy is horrible for boxing IMO. Nothing he says or does is good. Kellerman is becoming merchant. It's all gone horribly wrong.

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, I just said it wouldn't work for the masses (mainly b/c we're too lazy to interpret our own opinions). I, for one, routinely turn off sound (unless it's Roy commentating, b/c he's funny w/ his plain text or down home talk. Not enough REAL fight fans to push HBO to steer toward that....especially, if it means getting rid of LAMEly.

Btw, yes, I've been to a few live fights and I admit, it's "electric" in comparison.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.