Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should hbo just reel in jim lampley
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
scdrking2
Problem is you guys see things as fans of the sweet science who study boxing, read articles, watch you tubes of old fights etc. You are not the target market for HBO nor where they make money. The casual fan drives views and two guys slugging each other in the head and Lampley yelling Bang Bang Bang like John Witherspoon in Boomerang is compelling television.
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 8 2013, 08:09 PM) *
I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, I just said it wouldn't work for the masses (mainly b/c we're too lazy to interpret our own opinions). I, for one, routinely turn off sound (unless it's Roy commentating, b/c he's funny w/ his plain text or down home talk. Not enough REAL fight fans to push HBO to steer toward that....especially, if it means getting rid of LAMEly.

Btw, yes, I've been to a few live fights and I admit, it's "electric" in comparison.

RJJ be looking like he back on set of his debut hip-hop video when Lampley be asking him questions, he be on the money but it's funny how far he'll go to prove he knows what he's talking about lol

Nah, that's a corny ass idea, if I don't wanna hear sound I'll mute the TV. A live fight is definitely better but I'd feel like a retard watching a fight on TV and no commentary. IDK that's just corny to me, if I felt it got that bad I just wouldn't watch...what I do a lot of the times is go on youtube and watch or re-watch the fight without sound. Sometimes you see things you didn't notice before because of commentary. The last time I muted a fight was the 3rd and 4th fights between Manny and JMM because the shit was unbearable the way they rallied for Manny. I do it all the time with basketball games though, them commentators are lame lol
emd01
At least Lampley got rid of those granny glasses he was wearing. Bad enough listening to him without having to listen to him with them shits on.

Roy is a great commentator imo. You can always tell when he's not as impressed with what Lampley and Co. are watching because while theyre cheerleading you hear crickets where Roy is sitting laugh.gif .
emd01
They should bring James Toney in as guest commentator one night. Now that shit would be funny.

Lampley: So what do you think about our action tonight James?

Toney: Humma wha. Na homma mona nomina. Aminnna abba daga...Blitchko sishters.

laugh.gif That dude has a serious case of parkinsons.
checkleft
QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 8 2013, 11:19 PM) *
They should bring James Toney in as guest commentator one night. Now that shit would be funny.

Lampley: So what do you think about our action tonight James?

Toney: Humma wha. Na homma mona nomina. Aminnna abba daga...Blitchko sishters.

laugh.gif That dude has a serious case of parkinsons.

Sad thing is he's always talked like that laugh.gif
Jack 1000
HBO. Or rather Jim Lamply, HBO's Pom-pom shaking Pied Piper who leads the gullible public into believing what HBO wants the viewer to believe. Have "HBO" stars fight C+ grade competition to avoid major risk-taking by such fighters. I think the HBO crew feels compelled to kiss Top Rank's ass. They lose them, they don't have many major players left as they have jumped ship for Showtime.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 9 2013, 05:08 PM) *
HBO. Or rather Jim Lamply, HBO's Pom-pom shaking Pied Piper who leads the gullible public into believing what HBO wants the viewer to believe. Have "HBO" stars fight C+ grade competition to avoid major risk-taking by such fighters. I think the HBO crew feels compelled to kiss Top Rank's ass. They lose them, they don't have many major players left as they have jumped ship for Showtime.

Jack

Exactly Jack, what choice does HBO have at this point? Besides, who's the king of matching cash cows with C+ fighters, to make them look good? Oh yeah, that Top Rank for ya. I cant say that GBP does any better, because it seems like they just dig guys up for their key players to pummel. Sad thing is, Golden Boy's had to swallow a few upsets while doing that, unlike TR, whose bum fights go exactly as planned.

Since you're the "judge expert" nowadays (thanks to that 114-114 card and overall fuckery that you predicted on Ross's behalf), whose gonna officiate JMM/Bradley? I haven't seen anything on it yet.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 10 2013, 10:34 AM) *
Exactly Jack, what choice does HBO have at this point? Besides, who's the king of matching cash cows with C+ fighters, to make them look good? Oh yeah, that Top Rank for ya. I cant say that GBP does any better, because it seems like they just dig guys up for their key players to pummel. Sad thing is, Golden Boy's had to swallow a few upsets while doing that, unlike TR, whose bum fights go exactly as planned.

Since you're the "judge expert" nowadays (thanks to that 114-114 card and overall fuckery that you predicted on Ross's behalf), whose gonna officiate JMM/Bradley? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

I will put the officials in the Preview Thread. They have been named!

Jack

daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 8 2013, 08:09 PM) *
I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, I just said it wouldn't work for the masses (mainly b/c we're too lazy to interpret our own opinions). I, for one, routinely turn off sound (unless it's Roy commentating, b/c he's funny w/ his plain text or down home talk. Not enough REAL fight fans to push HBO to steer toward that....especially, if it means getting rid of LAMEly.

Btw, yes, I've been to a few live fights and I admit, it's "electric" in comparison.

i guess i give the ppl the benefit of the doubt sometimes. they're really not intelligent...you're right. i just think...given the experience...it should be an option. i don't know how viable it is. they do one in english...and one in spanish. one without commentary seems possible.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 8 2013, 10:33 PM) *
RJJ be looking like he back on set of his debut hip-hop video when Lampley be asking him questions, he be on the money but it's funny how far he'll go to prove he knows what he's talking about lol

Nah, that's a corny ass idea, if I don't wanna hear sound I'll mute the TV. A live fight is definitely better but I'd feel like a retard watching a fight on TV and no commentary. IDK that's just corny to me, if I felt it got that bad I just wouldn't watch...what I do a lot of the times is go on youtube and watch or re-watch the fight without sound. Sometimes you see things you didn't notice before because of commentary. The last time I muted a fight was the 3rd and 4th fights between Manny and JMM because the shit was unbearable the way they rallied for Manny. I do it all the time with basketball games though, them commentators are lame lol

u think anything i say is corny. laugh.gif stop hatin man!!!

i'm just saying....keep the crowd noise...mic the ring so we can hear the punches landing....it's just like being at a fight! how is that corny? minus the drunk muhfuckas behind u talking shit...or someone trying to push up on your girl. laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 11 2013, 12:47 AM) *
u think anything i say is corny. laugh.gif stop hatin man!!!

i'm just saying....keep the crowd noise...mic the ring so we can hear the punches landing....it's just like being at a fight! how is that corny? minus the drunk muhfuckas behind u talking shit...or someone trying to push up on your girl. laugh.gif

Here we go again with you overestimating your value, we've been through this already lmao....and I think the idea is corny, not what you said lol

I get your point but I don't know how well that would work in Boxing, maybe in other sports it could gain some traction but as far as Boxing I'm not sold on it. If it did come ti fruition I'd give it a try though, I'm not close minded and if I liked it then I'd support it
checkleft
I didn't have Hbo commentary for last Saturday, did they keep their usual routine of trashing bradleys pac win and tarnishing jmm banned substance free career?
Jack 1000
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 15 2013, 02:44 AM) *
I didn't have Hbo commentary for last Saturday, did they keep their usual routine of trashing bradleys pac win and tarnishing jmm banned substance free career?

From what I remember watching the Bradley-Marquez replay, Max was annoying because he kept reminding everyone that "We aren't going to get a war." But one punch could change things", trying to bring Marquez one shot KO of Pacquiao into perspective. What seems to be happening, with regularit, is that HBO commentary has had a need to preface a tactical boxing match as a possible boring fight. One wonders how W. Klitchko-Provetkin got approved. Give everyone a pass on that fight because that match was a POS! There was a time on HBO when Kamply and Crew respected the boxer-stance. The commentary never criticized slick boxing when Jones, Whittaker or Delahoya fought on HBO. Even when, especially in Roy's case, he fought guys too far past their prime to be a threat or bums. Lamps is now always quick to mention Ward-Gatto's trilogy in almost every fight telecast. They were waiting for Rios-Alverado to be a war, and it was a war in spots. When there was some boxing, Max would say, "When this isn't a war and Mike is boxing, it may not be as exciting as some would like, but Alverado's doing what he should be doing to win."

Max has become a Lamply suck-up and a Merchant wanna-be in post-fight interviews. When he started at HBO he was his own man, sort of like how Roy Jones or Andre Ward can be when they want to be that way. But, they are also easily influenced by Lamply to shake the pom-poms together, and go into "House Fighter, Group Think Love" if Ward or Jones goes too far off the beaten path.

The whole production has become second tier. A fight has to be a Rocky movie or have a media darling personality opponent against a C+ grade opponent that they can go "Ga Ga" over.

I am now giving Jim a new pseudo name to show his commentary bias in favor of house fighter brawlers, "Bang Bang Bang." Yup, Jim "Bang Bang Bang" Lamply!!! hahaha!

Jack
mrchitown
Jack, I think your going to have to get approval from John "bang bang bang" Witherspoon first laugh.gif
HyyerBlaze
Max is super annoying.Wish Larry Merchant would still do all the post fight interviews
Franchize
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Nov 3 2013, 04:12 PM) *
Max is super annoying.Wish Larry Merchant would still do all the post fight interviews

Cshel86
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Nov 3 2013, 03:12 PM) *

This is a "pick your poison" type of situation. Max, for one, is a wordy smurf...he just uses waaay too much dialogue to get his point across. GGG is somewhat easy to understand, though his English is choppy, but Max just overdid it and GGG sounding like Pootie Tang last night.

Merchant on the other end, was fuckin horrible. Thing is, he would ask the hard questions, regardless of who you were. Max is starting to do it, but he usually seems to get punked out of his agenda, when the fighter simply runs away from the question.

Anyhow, I'd rather have wordy smurf Max, then grumpy asshole Merchant. Lol
Jack 1000
In assessing Lampley and the who HBO slugger agenda thing,

There is a point the HBO's boxing management wants to draw the younger demographic to the sport. What is being seen today is shorter attention spans in today's Pro Wrestling/MMA crowd. I think an issue is that this makes up such a huge crew that critics have called "the skateboarding mentality." This 15-25 year old demographic, in order to get them away from MMA and Wrestling, interested in boxing, HBO feels compelled to push a "Rocky Movie" agenda. It's not just HBO. Years ago, Max Kellerman was brought in by ESPN to replace Al Bernstien for their Friday Night Fights to appeal to a younger demographic.

The historians that followed this sport from the Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali days for the most part are either retired or have died. The younger kids don't have the people with the knowledge of the business to teach them, show them why defensive boxing can and used to be a part of the game that was respected. There's not much you can do about it to change the mindset of this younger demographic. Maybe Arum and HBO figure that a war agenda is needed in boxing, because if it isn't there, these less educated than in the past younger kids will flock back to wrestling and MMA. It seems with these younger kids, they only appreciate boxing if a fight is a war. Lampley and Kellerman have planted and pounded that agenda into their heads for the past several years. Even the classic HBO graphics and feel of the whole production, looks like it was put together by college AV majors, if that.

The question than becomes is "Lamply's "Bang" "Bang" Bang" war agenda there because higher ups at HBO are telling him to do this to draw a younger demographic to boxing? Sadly, when you have an older demographic that is retired or dying, you have to bring in new fans from somewhere. Do you think that Ken Hershman is also playing a part in telling Jim Lamply and Max Kellerman how to commentate, if not, whom?

Jack
Franchize
Max seems like he's trying to emulate Merchant for some reason with the whole painting pictures and long, drawn out analogies. He blew it trying to go in depth with GGG. His English isn't very good. You could tell that from jump. Why continue to pry? After the first question, he should have kept it simple. GGG sounded like Borat chopped and screwed last night. It was painful. I like ESPN FNF Max. This new, HBO agenda coerced Max is becoming a little annoying. It's a shame because the guy knows his stuff and could be a torch bearer for the younger generation for his boxing knowledge. He's really letting Jim "three big booms" Lampley cramp his style.
HyyerBlaze
Lol I know everyone hates him.I like him though..asks the hard questions and always makes entertaining interviews.

Jim Gray is probably the worst out of the three though.Hate that dude.
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 3 2013, 03:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 3 2013, 06:04 PM) *
Max seems like he's trying to emulate Merchant for some reason with the whole painting pictures and long, drawn out analogies. He blew it trying to go in depth with GGG. His English isn't very good. You could tell that from jump. Why continue to pry? After the first question, he should have kept it simple. GGG sounded like Borat chopped and screwed last night. It was painful. I like ESPN FNF Max. This new, HBO agenda coerced Max is becoming a little annoying. It's a shame because the guy knows his stuff and could be a torch bearer for the younger generation for his boxing knowledge. He's really letting Jim "three big booms" Lampley cramp his style.

Max has his moments but they are very few and far between.

I thought merchant was drunk 90% of the time he was on air (which he probably was). Yea he asked some tough questions but he constantly demeaned the fighters disrespected them and cut them off, i mean why bother asking questions if your gonna cut the guy off when he's giving you an answer..
Jack 1000
Classic quote on Lamply!

It's in the Pacquiao-Bradley II thread, but I HAD to reproduce it here!

Jack

I just watched HBO's coverage of the fight. (I had a stream on fight night). My goodness. Jim Lampley is worse than Merchant now. I had Merchant on the stream unfortunately. He wasn't nearly as bad as Merchant. Jim Lampley is suck a dick rider. In fact, in between the 5th and 6th, Joel Diaz said "you're making him miss. I know Jim Lampley is over there probably saying he landed every fucking punch." And that's exactly what happened lol. Furthermore, every time Roy Jones and Max Kellerman said something good about Bradley, Lampley felt it imperative to counter it with a compliment to Pacquiao and downplay whatever they said. Manny definitely won the fight, but he was wildly inaccurate and I had Bradley winning 5 rounds. By no means was it a dominant performance as many suggested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.