Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should hbo just reel in jim lampley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jack 1000
Lamply has become the WORST fucking pom-pom shaker for the HBO contracted fighter!!! Regarding Pacquiao-Marquez IV, I saw the HBO PPV on a stream. They were really on Manny's dick the whole time! I like Manny, and it is kind of sad that he lost like that. But my correspondents at Fight Hype watched the international feeds and they said the commentary was so much fairer. I don't understand a word of Spanish, but I think I might start watching HBO Latino which has different commentators and interviewers just to get away from the HBO nut-hugging!

That shit I believe started some with Roy Jones and got worse around 2000-2002 when Delahoya was fighting. The Lamply of 10-15 years ago was far more objective than what he is now. Merchant is getting so bad with his lack of enthusiasm. You can sense that he doesn't want to be their anymore. Showtime is much more objective in their commentary.

Jack
mgrover
they were really on manny dicks, but what can ya expect
daprofessor
i missed his bullshit. i was watching in a crowded/noisy sports bar.
Gambit808
I have no Problems with Lampley besides his skeptically homo assertion to fighters body parts... SMH... That and the glasses make for a good laugh. Other than that his intensity added with Knock downs and back and forth action makes the fight that more exciting to watch IMO... U know one of his famous quotes actually contributed to Me and My girls sex life the other night, now on occasion when it get rough in the bedroom I let her know like "BODY ShOT, BODY SHOT, BANG BANG BANG BANG! HERE I COME! BANG! U GONNA THROW BACK SOMETIME! BANG! kEEP COMIN! BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG! Lmao
Cshel86
You know shit is serious when Jack bumps an old thread! laugh.gif

Yall are crazy, especially Gambit's silly ass! You're right, Lampley does "ride the fence" when he talks about these fighters' body parts, especially the comment about Seth Mitchell's "substantial butt". Oh Lord...Jim pushed it on that one, but seriously, there are only a few dudes (few being the operative word here), who can actually say some borderline homo mess, and get away with it.

I wont lie, nowadays, I look forward to Lampley's homo observations just to see how far he'll go before somebody calls him out on it. The whole ringside gets quiet, but somebody usually changes the subject quick! laugh.gif

That's crying at the end was uncalled for though. I was like, "Damn Jim, Manny is alive. He got up, he's walking around, get over it man. Seriously man, chill out".
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2012, 07:52 PM) *

Yall are crazy, especially Gambit's silly ass! You're right, Lampley does "ride the fence" when he talks about these fighters' body parts, especially the comment about Seth Mitchell's "substantial butt". Oh Lord...Jim pushed it on that one, but seriously, there are only a few dudes (few being the operative word here), who can actually say some borderline homo mess, and get away with it.

I wont lie, nowadays, I look forward to Lampley's homo observations just to see how far he'll go before somebody calls him out on it. The whole ringside gets quiet, but somebody usually changes the subject quick! laugh.gif

That's crying at the end was uncalled for though. I was like, "Damn Jim, Manny is alive. He got up, he's walking around, get over it man. Seriously man, chill out".

did he cry!? dammit!!! i missed it! laugh.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2012, 06:52 PM) *

Speaking of Lamp's Homo observations. I seem to recall one time that he interviewed Delahoya and got all giddy and lovey with him like a little middle school girl's first crush! I think his voice went up like three octaves in response to Oscar's answer to his question! LOL!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 11 2012, 06:32 PM) *
I have no Problems with Lampley besides his skeptically homo assertion to fighters body parts... SMH... That and the glasses make for a good laugh. Other than that his intensity added with Knock downs and back and forth action makes the fight that more exciting to watch IMO... U know one of his famous quotes actually contributed to Me and My girls sex life the other night, now on occasion when it get rough in the bedroom I let her know like "BODY ShOT, BODY SHOT, BANG BANG BANG BANG! HERE I COME! BANG! U GONNA THROW BACK SOMETIME! BANG! kEEP COMIN! BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG! Lmao

Lamply: OOing Pacquiao............."Look at those thighs!!" LOL!!!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 07:54 PM) *
did he cry!? dammit!!! i missed it! laugh.gif

Yep...got choked up like Manny had gone to the afterlife after the KO.

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 12 2012, 12:54 AM) *
Speaking of Lamp's Homo observations. I seem to recall one time that he interviewed Delahoya and got all giddy and lovey with him like a little middle school girl's first crush! I think his voice went up like three octaves in response to Oscar's answer to his question! LOL!

Jack

laugh.gif

That's Lampley for ya! I remember the clip of the fighter meeting that they had with Seth Mitchell last month. When Seth was talking, Lampley had this wide smile on his face, like he was watching a kid sing a Christmas carol. I was like, "Damn Lampley, so go and sit in his lap already". He has some ways about himself, but I wouldn't know what to do if he wasn't on the telelcast anymore...Im practically used to him.
Franchize
Anybody have any footage of Lampley after the fight? I didnt have HBO's telecast.

Yea I streamed the fight! So what? lol
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 12 2012, 10:00 AM) *
Yep...got choked up like Manny had gone to the afterlife after the KO.

Yup he did...what the hell was that all about? I joked that maybe he put the house up on Manny to win by KO in the 6th round, but damn u would've thought he was from the Philipines.

Did u hear the DEFINING SILENCE from Larry Merchant both times Manny hit the deck? Lol. This is why I like the HBO commentators (besides Bob Papa) better than Showtime. Even when they tend to side with a fighter that loses in the way that Manny did, it makes it that much more funnier to watch IMO. They should've had a "reaction-cam" in slow motion right on the commentators faces the 2 times Manny went down. What sight that would be lol.
mgrover
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 12 2012, 04:22 PM) *
Yup he did...what the hell was that all about? I joked that maybe he put the house up on Manny to win by KO in the 6th round, but damn u would've thought he was from the Philipines.

Did u hear the DEFINING SILENCE from Larry Merchant both times Manny hit the deck? Lol. This is why I like the HBO commentators (besides Bob Papa) better than Showtime. Even when they tend to side with a fighter that loses in the way that Manny did, it makes it that much more funnier to watch IMO. They should've had a "reaction-cam" in slow motion right on the commentators faces the 2 times Manny went down. What sight that would be lol.

they were still in denial i think, they werent sure he was out cold with his dick in hand and all
Gambit808
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 12 2012, 11:23 AM) *
they were still in denial i think, they werent sure he was out cold with his dick in hand and all

Yup, hesitation and all. So much so that they immediately wanted to talk about Marquez's "New Muscle".
Gambit808
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 12 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Anybody have any footage of Lampley after the fight? I didnt have HBO's telecast.

Yea I streamed the fight! So what? lol

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvq7wk_ma...rt#.UMivcfF5mSN

Thank Jack 1000
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 12 2012, 11:22 AM) *

I tried to give Lampley the benefit of the doubt and thought that he was thinking of Emanuel Steward missing the epic ending of the fight. Im sure there will be a camera angle of the announcer's table during the replay this Saturday night. Anybody notice Lampley and RJJ stand up when Manny got KO'd? It was CRAZY, coupled with Roy's long reaction of "OHHHHHHHHH!!!" laugh.gif

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 12 2012, 11:23 AM) *

LMAO! Leave it to MG!

I wont lie though, it was hard to watch Manny get floored like that. I think everybody in the arena was shook up by it. I was, until I thought about how much he was getting paid for the fight, then my pity subsided.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 12 2012, 11:22 AM) *

hearing them get it wrong constantly is what my enjoyment has been reduced to. laugh.gif adding a reaction cam would make their bullshit slightly bearable.
VJones
"He's not getting up Jim! He's not getting up, Jim! He's not getting, Jim!"

Roy's reaction. Favorite part. I'm pretty spent with these guys, minus Roy. I enjoy Roy on the broadcast for clarity and real boxing knowledge. I detest Lampley and Merchant. Utter worthlessness. And Max has become increasingly annoying.

Lampley crying was just pathetic. Smh. Merchant's Alzheimer's and general cantankerousness was at an all time high on Saturday.

Most of the time, we mute them. Or mock them. Either works.
Franchize
I found it. It was absolutely disgusting. 1st of all, Marquez the smartest counterpuncher in boxing? Did Floyd Mayweather die? lol Secondly, when you can't hide your bias to the point where you are crying like a little kid because your boo boo loss, you need to be fired. PERIOD! He should be ashamed of himself. Thirdly, even in his description of what Marquez did to Pacquiao, it was more of a eulogy for Manny than praising Marquez. Manny was not dominating that fight until that point. He'd already gotten dropped. I actually thought Marquez was winning the 6th. He was countering Manny with some sneaky right hands ALL NIGHT LONG. I was waiting for The Mary Jane Girls to come out singing everytime he got hit. Knock it off Lampley. Nothing impossible happened other than the fact that you came to the realization that the praise you were giving Manny was much too overexaggerrated.
Jack 1000
Maybe a bunch of us should contact HBO over Jim's biases in favor of the contracted fighters. He is REALLY turning me off with this type of commentary!

Jack

PS. And yes, I had the fight even at 47-47 at the stoppage. Jim, you probably only gave Marquez the round in which he scored a knockdown. Your biased commentary is just as bad as bias in judging and even "corrupt judging." There is corrupt commentary too as well as Punch Stats, where many times they did not tell the story of the fight that the judges saw.

Franchize
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 12 2012, 11:29 AM) *

Thanks a million Jack1000!
Franchize
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 12 2012, 11:40 PM) *
Maybe a bunch of us should contact HBO over Jim's biases in favor of the contracted fighters. He is REALLY turning me off with this type of commentary!

Jack

PS. And yes, I had the fight even at 47-47 at the stoppage. Jim, you probably only gave Marquez the round in which he scored a knockdown. Your biased commentary is just as bad as bias in judging and even "corrupt judging." There is corrupt commentary too as well as Punch Stats, where many times they did not tell the story of the fight that the judges saw.

I agree and I also had the fight even. I felt Marquez was actually winning the round. Manny had flurries but if you look close, he was missing a lot of shots.

These sports media don't realize the impact they have on sports. Sports used to be mostly consumed by the die hard fan and financially supported by the casual fan. Now, it's DOMINATED by casual fans that formulate their opinions not based on what they see and understanding the sport but what Skip Bayless and Jim Lampley say is happening. It's sickening.

In the past year we've seen the my Knicks nearly ship away our best player to build around Jeremy Lin who's probably average at best. We've seen arguably the best fighter in the world get labeled "scared". We've seen locker rooms in football have turmoil simply because of "anonymous sources."We see celebrity lives get ruined based on rumors. It's about time someone stand up to irresponsible journalism and media. For Jim Lampley to have been a captivating orator for some of the most epic moments in the sport, and completely do a 180 merely because of bias shows he simply prefers his agenda over the glorious sweet science. For that, I can't respect him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 12 2012, 03:57 PM) *
I found it. It was absolutely disgusting. 1st of all, Marquez the smartest counterpuncher in boxing? Did Floyd Mayweather die? lol Secondly, when you can't hide your bias to the point where you are crying like a little kid because your boo boo loss, you need to be fired. PERIOD! He should be ashamed of himself. Thirdly, even in his description of what Marquez did to Pacquiao, it was more of a eulogy for Manny than praising Marquez. Manny was not dominating that fight until that point. He'd already gotten dropped. I actually thought Marquez was winning the 6th. He was countering Manny with some sneaky right hands ALL NIGHT LONG. I was waiting for The Mary Jane Girls to come out singing everytime he got hit. Knock it off Lampley. Nothing impossible happened other than the fact that you came to the realization that the praise you were giving Manny was much too overexaggerrated.

LMAO! classic Franchize post!

I didn't get the whole "best counterpuncher in boxing" part either. The whole eulogy for Pacquiao, goes back to an episode of The Fight Game after the Bradley loss. Suddenly when Manny gets robbed, something has to be done about. Suddenly when Manny makes out with the canvas, better PED suspicions and better testing needs to take place.

Quick question, just how in the fuck was the athletic commission's backwater testing standards good enough when Manny was miraculously wacking guys from left to right, but now it isn't good enough when Marquez cleans Manny's clock. I just HATE HBO (mostly Lampley and Merchant) because of their bias, and I pray to God that this stupid megafight is down the shitter, so they can get their acts together.

Just listening to Roach in the post-fight presser, he seemed to have this whole, "yeah, they got us this time" attitude and this stupid smirk on his face. It wasn't like one of those, "yeah Marquez was the better man tonight" attitudes, it was one of those "yeah, he got past the commission with this shit in his system, and got us" type of attitude.

I agree, NOTHING impossible happened last Saturday night, it was just about WHO is happened to, rather than the actual KO itself. Had JMM been flattened like that, Manny would've been the best fighter ever, and blah, blah, blah. Lampley really killed me that, and the media has been giving Marquez shit about drugs and so forth, but nobody uttered a peep about Manny.

I believe Arum pulled that defamation bullshit on GBP and the Mayweathers for a reason...to make sure nobody uttered a peep about Manny being doped up, just long enough for him to make money off of him. Marquez doesn't have that type of public relations protection/support, so people openly took their shots at him.

Hahahahaha!!!! Suddenly the world is "concerned" about enhancement drugs and the safety of fighters, when the right motherfucker gets knocked out...shows you how much they care about all fighters. I like Manny, but I HATE his fans and the media that supports him. With that in mind, I'm GLAD he got floored, and I hope to see him go through the ropes next time.

His stupid fans kill me, and I cant wait for them to leave the sport for good. It's clear that there will never be another Manny Pacquiao or anything close it...Donaire sucks ass and Gesta is just a napkin in the wind. Most of Manny's fans are all about the pride of their country...but could give two shits about the sport itself. Im done with it.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 10:18 AM) *
LMAO! classic Franchize post!

I didn't get the whole "best counterpuncher in boxing" part either. The whole eulogy for Pacquiao, goes back to an episode of The Fight Game after the Bradley loss. Suddenly when Manny gets robbed, something has to be done about it. Suddenly when Manny makes out with the canvas, better PED suspicions and better testing needs to take place.

Quick question, just how in the fuck was the athletic commission's backwater testing standards good enough when Manny was miraculously wacking guys from left to right, but now it isn't good enough when Marquez cleans Manny's clock. I just HATE HBO (mostly Lampley and Merchant) because of their bias, and I pray to God that this stupid megafight is down the shitter, so they can get their acts together.

Just listening to Roach in the post-fight presser, he seemed to have this whole, "yeah, they got us this time" attitude and this stupid smirk on his face. It wasn't like one of those, "yeah Marquez was the better man tonight" attitudes, it was one of those "yeah, he got past the commission with this shit in his system, and got us" type of attitude.

I agree, NOTHING impossible happened last Saturday night, it was just about WHO is happened to, rather than the actual KO itself. Had JMM been flattened like that, Manny would've been the best fighter ever, and blah, blah, blah. Lampley really killed me that, and the media has been giving Marquez shit about drugs and so forth, but nobody uttered a peep about Manny.

I believe Arum pulled that defamation bullshit on GBP and the Mayweathers for a reason...to make sure nobody uttered a peep about Manny being doped up, just long enough for him to make money off of him. Marquez doesn't have that type of public relations protection/support, so people openly took their shots at him.

Hahahahaha!!!! Suddenly the world is "concerned" about enhancement drugs and the safety of fighters, when the right motherfucker gets knocked out...shows you how much they care about all fighters. I like Manny, but I HATE his fans and the media that supports him. With that in mind, I'm GLAD he got floored, and I hope to see him go through the ropes next time.

His stupid fans kill me, and I cant wait for them to leave the sport for good. It's clear that there will never be another Manny Pacquiao or anything close it...Donaire sucks ass and Gesta is just a napkin in the wind. Most of Manny's fans are all about the pride of their country...but could give two shits about the sport itself. Im done with it.

That was my biggest problem with the Bradley/Pacquiao fight. We had TONS of robberies in the last 2 years of boxing. Where was the public outcry and uproar from Jim when Lara got robbed. What about Campillo? Those fights were WAY more lopsided than PAcquiao vs Bradley. Then think of historically, guys who couldnt catch a break. Lara, Clottey,Marquez, Augustus (Burton) etc. Guys that routinely get the shitty end of the stick when it comes to judges. Where's the witch hunt then?

As far as the drugs are concerned....they can all suck a dick. I'm still waiting to hear Floyd flat out say "Manny Pacquiao is on steroids." He hinted it. He's joked about it. He's suggested it but he never said Manny was. He said he's suspicious. Freddy Roach flat out said he thinks Juan Manuel Marquez is on steroids. THAT'S defamation! But ultimately, if thats what you think...so be it. But they made Floyd into this idiotic villian for "havin the nerve" to try to imply the great Manny Pacquiao may be dirty. Having the nerve to suggest boxing needs stricter drug testing. But then what happened? Boxers started popping left and right. I also noticed, it seems like fighters were fighting less often than before the OSDT trend got steam. There was no "well I guess Floyd had a point after all". Nope. It got swept under the rug and nobody said anything about it. Berto and Peterson just waltz back into boxing as if they were on vacation. Just like the unfair judging, nothing happened and nobody cared....... UNTIL IT HAPPENED TO MANNY!

Arum pulled that defamation bullshit because he knows Manny was considered "the good guy" and Floyd was the villian. What better way to cash in and promote this notion that Floyd is scared than to act as if you're so outragd by these ridiculous alegations?

Alas, the only thing we learned Saturday night is that "Pactards" have become an endangered species but their leader is undoubtedly Jim Lampley
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 13 2012, 02:22 PM) *
That was my biggest problem with the Bradley/Pacquiao fight. We had TONS of robberies in the last 2 years of boxing. Where was the public outcry and uproar from Jim when Lara got robbed. What about Campillo? Those fights were WAY more lopsided than PAcquiao vs Bradley. Then think of historically, guys who couldnt catch a break. Lara, Clottey,Marquez, Augustus (Burton) etc. Guys that routinely get the shitty end of the stick when it comes to judges. Where's the witch hunt then?

As far as the drugs are concerned....they can all suck a dick. I'm still waiting to hear Floyd flat out say "Manny Pacquiao is on steroids." He hinted it. He's joked about it. He's suggested it but he never said Manny was. He said he's suspicious. Freddy Roach flat out said he thinks Juan Manuel Marquez is on steroids. THAT'S defamation! But ultimately, if thats what you think...so be it. But they made Floyd into this idiotic villian for "havin the nerve" to try to imply the great Manny Pacquiao may be dirty. Having the nerve to suggest boxing needs stricter drug testing. But then what happened? Boxers started popping left and right. I also noticed, it seems like fighters were fighting less often than before the OSDT trend got steam. There was no "well I guess Floyd had a point after all". Nope. It got swept under the rug and nobody said anything about it. Berto and Peterson just waltz back into boxing as if they were on vacation. Just like the unfair judging, nothing happened and nobody cared....... UNTIL IT HAPPENED TO MANNY!

Arum pulled that defamation bullshit because he knows Manny was considered "the good guy" and Floyd was the villian. What better way to cash in and promote this notion that Floyd is scared than to act as if you're so outragd by these ridiculous alegations?

Alas, the only thing we learned Saturday night is that "Pactards" have become an endangered species but their leader is undoubtedly Jim Lampley

Exactly! Where tha hell were they when Campillo got robbed by John Amos (Cloud)? Guess he isn't a big enough name to even care about. These outcries are getting down right ridiculous, when it comes to Manny. Let's not forget to throw Molina into that group of guys who cant catch a break.

This enhancement drug crap against Marquez is silly and unprofessional on everybody's part especially the media. ESPN straight tried to make a fool of Marquez, as if Manny was this God. As well know, God walked on water. No way in hell you can walk on water, if you can't walk through a 2-inch punch...sorry Manny.

It's not that dont like Manny, but the media and his fans just make me want to see him do worse. These allegations are crazy, but shit, boxing fans are as fickle as all outdoors, so whose surprised? From the media standpoint, it's like, "Okay our guy lost, now we can start up the PED accusations".

Bob's PED umbrella of protection was for EVERYBODY to take head to, not just the Mayweathers and GBP. Notice, NO ONE in the media shared their thoughts on Manny possibly being on PEDs...the closest could've been Teddy Atlas, and he said it in so many words. Marquez doesn't have that umbrella of protection, and he just put a favored fighter to sleep, so now everyone's ass is hurting.

Bob made a statement with the defamation case..."Don't utter a word about PEDs and fuck up my money (Manny) while he's fighting these larger carefully matched opponents". That's some pimp shit...if anybody messes with their hookers, then they're messing with their money...somebody's gotta pay. Floyd and GBP can afford those court fees...average writers and reporters cant...Im sure they'd much rather be paying court fees for a crime of their choice.

It wasn't that hard to make Floyd into some idiotic villain...he makes it quite easy. Sad thing is, he started a movement. Dudes were getting popped left and right. Seems like guys (promoters) are trying to stay away from those strict tests...no need to cancel an event (lose money) because somebody came up hot. Boxing is a nasty business, and people will keep their mouth shut for a payday...why do you think Floyd was the only one to refuse the fight because on non-compliance with strict testing? Manny's other opponents NEEDED that $5M salary cap...not sure if all of them made that $5M, but that's the cap for a Manny fight.

HBO sucks, and they're reaping what they'e sown, while Showtime is getting the better cards. Good point about fighters seeming to "fight less often" after the PED stuff took off. I'll have to check some fighters' fight dates and research your point....unless you feel like elaborating, lol. I never looked at it that way until now.
Gambit808
Well it looks like they'll be reeling in Larry Merchant according to yahoo this Saturday will be his last.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/larry-merchan...38080--box.html
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:26 PM) *
Well it looks like they'll be reeling in Larry Merchant according to yahoo this Saturday will be his last.

there is a God and prayer works. smile.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:26 PM) *

He's senile as all get-out, but he's okay when he doesn't seem all disgruntled. I'm actually gonna miss the guy being there, but something told me over the past few years, that he didn't really wanna be there anymore. Much luck to him though.
VJones
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 11:12 PM) *
He's senile as all get-out, but he's okay when he doesn't seem all disgruntled. I'm actually gonna miss the guy being there, but something told me over the past few years, that he didn't really wanna be there anymore. Much luck to him though.

Guess I'll be the meanie! Good riddance, Merchant! Lol

1 down, Lampley to go! biggrin.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 13 2012, 10:17 PM) *

laugh.gif

Cant say I wasn't thinking the same thing! I've been a bit of a douche this week, so I'm practicing being politically correct.
VJones
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 11:32 PM) *
laugh.gif

Cant say I wasn't thinking the same thing! I've been a bit of a douche this week, so I'm practicing being politically correct.

Lol. I'll carry the banner this once. That's how much I dislike Merchant and Lampley (aka Bang).

So we'll call me "the nicest mean girl" ?
duwdu
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 11:12 PM) *

^^^This sums it up for me.

Good luck to the old man going forward, tho', and hope he becomes less resentful as a person.

P34c3
Jack 1000
Watch this video!!!!

HBO= Heavily Biased Opinion!!! The Network of NUTHUGGERY!!! Starring "Jim "I sleep with HBO Contracted Fighters" Lamply!

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-o...hbo-nuthuggery/

Jack

PS. Sometimes there is an annoying banner ad that shows up at this site. I recommend the Firefox browser and the Ad Block Plus plug in from Mozilla to block it.
Franchize
I was going to vividly and poetically describe the majestic tear of joy that trickled down my cheek when I heard that decrepit old fart was calling it quits, in honor of all the useless mental pictures he tried to paint after each broadcast. Then I read CShel's post where he called Tavaris Cloud John Amos and now I'm crying from tears of laughter! laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 13 2012, 10:17 PM) *

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 13 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Lol. I'll carry the banner this once. That's how much I dislike Merchant and Lampley (aka Bang).

So we'll call me "the nicest mean girl" ?

laugh.gif

cschel...one door closes...another one opens. laugh.gif
VJones
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 14 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Watch this video!!!!

HBO= Heavily Biased Opinion!!! The Network of NUTHUGGERY!!! Starring "Jim "I sleep with HBO Contracted Fighters" Lamply!

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-o...hbo-nuthuggery/

Jack

PS. Sometimes there is an annoying banner ad that shows up at this site. I recommend the Firefox browser and the Ad Block Plus plug in from Mozilla to block it.

Wow. Good share, Jack. That was pretty bad. Madness.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 14 2012, 02:11 PM) *
I was going to vividly and poetically describe the majestic tear of joy that trickled down my cheek when I heard that decrepit old fart was calling it quits, in honor of all the useless mental pictures he tried to paint after each broadcast. Then I read CShel's post where he called Tavaris Cloud John Amos and now I'm crying from tears of laughter! laugh.gif

Lol...good stuff.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 02:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

Lol...I'm only mean to Merchant and Lampley. I promise smile.gif Okay, well also (he's not HBO), but Raphael (ESPN.com)...kinda got a near hatred for that one. Jk...I don't hate him. But he's so biased its ridiculous. But I think what's most irritating is he doesn't see his own bias. He thinks he's a "real" journalist. I think he's just a columnist. There's a huge difference.
daprofessor
QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 14 2012, 04:41 PM) *
Wow. Good share, Jack. That was pretty bad. Madness.

Lol...good stuff.

Lol...I'm only mean to Merchant and Lampley. I promise smile.gif Okay, well also (he's not HBO), but Raphael (ESPN.com)...kinda got a near hatred for that one. Jk...I don't hate him. But he's so biased its ridiculous. But I think what's most irritating is he doesn't see his own bias. He thinks he's a "real" journalist. I think he's just a columnist. There's a huge difference.

join the club! lampley, merchant, compubox, rafael...and a bunch of shill sites/writers that don't deserve mention. smile.gif

VJones
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 05:54 PM) *
join the club! lampley, merchant, compubox, rafael...and a bunch of shill sites/writers that don't deserve mention. smile.gif

Ah...good...I'm among friends! smile.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 14 2012, 01:11 PM) *

laugh.gif

I was waiting to hear your reaction to Merchant leaving!

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 01:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

Right...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 14 2012, 07:28 PM) *
Right...

she seems a lot more knowledgeable though. sorry almenjoi. laugh.gif
Jack 1000
Some people claimed that Larry Merchant was a Howard Cosell wanna be. Maybe so. But I think that Cosell always brought out the pom poms for Ali and Leonard, but not as much when other fighters were fighting. But seriously, if Ali or Leonard took a shit, Cosell would be there to showcase it.

Lamply USED to be good fifteen years ago. But now it's like he never says anything negative about the HBO contracted fighter and would even bring out the pom-poms if one of their house fighters took a shit. Cosell did it for Ali and Leonard. Lamps does it for ANY "house fighter" on HBO.

Why can't boxing just go back to one guy calling the fights like Don Dunphy did in boxing's broadcast haydey? Lamply and HBO have at least four to six people on every telecast. I believe three is a crowd and six is a mob.

Do you guys think Lamply is doing the pom-poming on his own, or is someone at HBO guiding him? Who? Let's see how much his commentary might change with the big name fighters at HBO moving to Showtime.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 25 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Some people claimed that Larry Merchant was a Howard Cosell wanna be. Maybe so. But I think that Cosell always brought out the pom poms for Ali and Leonard, but not as much when other fighters were fighting. But seriously, if Ali or Leonard took a shit, Cosell would be there to showcase it.

Lamply USED to be good fifteen years ago. But now it's like he never says anything negative about the HBO contracted fighter and would even bring out the pom-poms if one of their house fighters took a shit. Cosell did it for Ali and Leonard. Lamps does it for ANY "house fighter" on HBO.

Why can't boxing just go back to one guy calling the fights like Don Dunphy did in boxing's broadcast haydey? Lamply and HBO have at least four to six people on every telecast. I believe three is a crowd and six is a mob.

Do you guys think Lamply is doing the pom-poming on his own, or is someone at HBO guiding him? Who? Let's see how much his commentary might change with the big name fighters at HBO moving to Showtime.

Jack

i'm convinced there is some dumb ass that is directing the ass clowns from the ear piece. i think they all have their heads up their asses. i used to like kellerman but he's become merchant jr. lampley has been bad since the days of de la hoya. it's time for new blood there. i've heard that george foreman is coming back. that is good news. i enjoy roy jones and andre ward. a two man team is enough. they need a guy ringside and a guy to go into the ring after the fights.

on a side note...this thread should be pinned until they get rid of lampley. laugh.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 04:01 PM) *
i'm convinced there is some dumb ass that is directing the ass clowns from the ear piece. i think they all have their heads up their asses. i used to like kellerman but he's become merchant jr. lampley has been bad since the days of de la hoya. it's time for new blood there. i've heard that george foreman is coming back. that is good news. i enjoy roy jones and andre ward. a two man team is enough. they need a guy ringside and a guy to go into the ring after the fights.

on a side note...this thread should be pinned until they get rid of lampley. laugh.gif

LOL!!! Pin the thread till they get rid of Lamply! No, we only do the pin-ups for round by round stuff and important site issues. However, I agree. Forman and Merchant are coming back on that HBO 2 card from China, and Tim Ryan, who used to do color commentary for CBS. I would like to see Lamply retired, seriously. Comments about Kellerman as Mrchant Jr. are brilliant!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 05:01 PM) *

That shit will be pinned up forever...JUST because we want to see him go so bad. It may outlive the Mayweather/Pacquiao megathread.

laugh.gif
Jack 1000
The thng is though if HBO seriously gets rid of Lamply, what's to stop another HBO pom-pom shaking commentator from taking his place? For the last 15 years or so, I believe that HBO had a agenda, I would suspect, started by Ross Greenberg where they wanted to build "stars." That's why they "went Ga-Ga " even when Roy Jones fought a school teacher or garbageman. I believe that Mr. Greenberg saw the fighter as the star himself and that was more important than the most two-sided competitive fights. The most two-sided competitive fights were due to Lou Dibella's brain-trust at the network with the development of the HBO ORIGINAL Boxing After Dark Series that all but guaranteed thrilling matches that were by all accounts, jaw-dropping amazing.

Lou Dibella is a boxing man. Ross Greenberg is a business man, and somewhere between Lou leaving HBO the network gradually transcended into "build a star" against C+ competition and establish long term relationship promotional contracts with the promoter allowing the HBO fighter to do what he wanted, when he wanted, and how he wanted. In Lamply's defense, the pom-pom shaking was not all his fault. It was a bi-product of the system.

If Jim was under a knowledgeable boxing department at HBO, he could be "reeled in." and I would be happy if he stayed. However, Dibella isn't there anymore, and even Ross Greenberg who started the "build a star" against C grade fighters is now over at Showtime thanks to the Mayweather deal.

Jim represents the bigger problem of HBO, who has a pom-pom shaking agenda for the star fighter, regardless of opposition. Remember, early Jim Lamply was not like that. He could have changed, but political and personnel changes in the shell of what used to be a great boxing department, in addition to Jim's advancing age, have basically forced him into a "build a star" mode at HBO for the rest of his tenure with them. Max Kellerman will just become the new pom-pom shaker when Jim retires from HBO.

In thinking about this more, it's not Jim that is so much the problem, it's the business management system at HBO with how fighters are promoted and marketed in the present day.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 02:41 PM) *
The thng is though if HBO seriously gets rid of Lamply, what's to stop another HBO pom-pom shaking commentator from taking his place? For the last 15 years or so, I believe that HBO had a agenda, I would suspect, started by Ross Greenberg where they wanted to build "stars." That's why they "went Ga-Ga " even when Roy Jones fought a school teacher or garbageman. I believe that Mr. Greenberg saw the fighter as the star himself and that was more important than the most two-sided competitive fights. The most two-sided competitive fights were due to Lou Dibella's brain-trust at the network with the development of the HBO ORIGINAL Boxing After Dark Series that all but guaranteed thrilling matches that were by all accounts, jaw-dropping amazing.

Lou Dibella is a boxing man. Ross Greenberg is a business man, and somewhere between Lou leaving HBO the network gradually transcended into "build a star" against C+ competition and establish long term relationship promotional contracts with the promoter allowing the HBO fighter to do what he wanted, when he wanted, and how he wanted. In Lamply's defense, the pom-pom shaking was not all his fault. It was a bi-product of the system.

If Jim was under a knowledgeable boxing department at HBO, he could be "reeled in." and I would be happy if he stayed. However, Dibella isn't there anymore, and even Ross Greenberg who started the "build a star" against C grade fighters is now over at Showtime thanks to the Mayweather deal.

Jim represents the bigger problem of HBO, who has a pom-pom shaking agenda for the star fighter, regardless of opposition. Remember, early Jim Lamply was not like that. He could have changed, but political and personnel changes in the shell of what used to be a great boxing department, in addition to Jim's advancing age, have basically forced him into a "build a star" mode at HBO for the rest of his tenure with them. Max Kellerman will just become the new pom-pom shaker when Jim retires from HBO.

In thinking about this more, it's not Jim that is so much the problem, it's the business management system at HBO with how fighters are promoted and marketed in the present day.

Jack

i hear what you are saying and i do not agree. jim and larry have a disdain for fighters. i hear it in the words they say...i see it in the interviews. there is a pompousness about them that does not belong in my beloved sport. the build-a-star movement didn't start with greenburg. he wasn't in place when larry started his love affairs with the arturo gatti's of boxing. he wasn't the boss when larry was shitting on good fighters either. jim, larry and now max are a cancer that should be removed. they don't even realize how they hurt the sport. they think they are everything that is right with the sport. i don't tune in to see jim, larry or max. i tune in to see the fighters fight.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 26 2013, 02:17 PM) *
i hear what you are saying and i do not agree. jim and larry have a disdain for fighters. i hear it in the words they say...i see it in the interviews. there is a pompousness about them that does not belong in my beloved sport. the build-a-star movement didn't start with greenburg. he wasn't in place when larry started his love affairs with the arturo gatti's of boxing. he wasn't the boss when larry was shitting on good fighters either. jim, larry and now max are a cancer that should be removed. they don't even realize how they hurt the sport. they think they are everything that is right with the sport. i don't tune in to see jim, larry or max. i tune in to see the fighters fight.

Interesting!

You're take is than when Larry started praising the brawlers and the sluggers, Jim also expanded on that idea, and in their commentary over time, the general public got to perceive that boxers who were masterful at their craft and skilled in defense were "boring." And fighters who had tremendous records and longevity with the sport like the Klitschko brothers weren't good enough for HBO, because dominance be damned according to HBO execs, especially in the case of Wlad, he keeps winning, but he's not exciting, so did Jim and Larry create this perception of in their minds that if two guys aren't in there ripping their heads off, it's not a good fight?

I agree you could say yes with regards to that question with Merchant in later years. He was BORED with scientific boxers, and boxers HAD to have a war in order for Larry to want to be there. But Lamply, he had a love relationship with Roy Jones regardless of opponent and Delahoya, regardless of opponent, so I think there are some differences there. I know Larry never got along well with Hopkins, and the same with Floyd and he. Merchant, I think will more or less speak his mind. Lamply will speak more on what the network wants him to say. Now, with Merchant gone, Max is trying to be Larry with the questions, controversy, and control. He's not Larry, and doesn't have Larry's experience, but I think he's just glad he found a home. Max is going to do what HBO wants him to do, because he doesn't have the longevity in the business to say "no" to higher-ups. HBO knows that if they can get Max shaking the pom-poms for the house fighter enough, there will be a smoother transition, which I think the network could look to replace Lamply with Kellerman.

You know, appeal to the younger demographic. And getting the younger demographic excited, it could be theorized that they would rather see brawls than boxing. HBO's looking for new blood and ratings appeal after losing Floyd and Oscar in promotions. The model may not work, but I can see what HBO is doing here.

Jack
BrutUalBK
Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.
checkleft
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.

He does have some very nice quotes he shoots out every once and a while.

"Fighting Floyd mayweather is a cold dose of reality" one of my favorites
Also when berto and ortiz had their round 6 him and Emanuels excitement and screaming was so genuine it gave me goosebumps lol. They have some decent one liners every once in a while

Maxs "we just saw a very good young fighter lose to a great old fighter" is a good one also from marquez diaz 1
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Interesting!

You're take is than when Larry started praising the brawlers and the sluggers, Jim also expanded on that idea, and in their commentary over time, the general public got to perceive that boxers who were masterful at their craft and skilled in defense were "boring." And fighters who had tremendous records and longevity with the sport like the Klitschko brothers weren't good enough for HBO, because dominance be damned according to HBO execs, especially in the case of Wlad, he keeps winning, but he's not exciting, so did Jim and Larry create this perception of in their minds that if two guys aren't in there ripping their heads off, it's not a good fight?

I agree you could say yes with regards to that question with Merchant in later years. He was BORED with scientific boxers, and boxers HAD to have a war in order for Larry to want to be there. But Lamply, he had a love relationship with Roy Jones regardless of opponent and Delahoya, regardless of opponent, so I think there are some differences there. I know Larry never got along well with Hopkins, and the same with Floyd and he. Merchant, I think will more or less speak his mind. Lamply will speak more on what the network wants him to say. Now, with Merchant gone, Max is trying to be Larry with the questions, controversy, and control. He's not Larry, and doesn't have Larry's experience, but I think he's just glad he found a home. Max is going to do what HBO wants him to do, because he doesn't have the longevity in the business to say "no" to higher-ups. HBO knows that if they can get Max shaking the pom-poms for the house fighter enough, there will be a smoother transition, which I think the network could look to replace Lamply with Kellerman.

You know, appeal to the younger demographic. And getting the younger demographic excited, it could be theorized that they would rather see brawls than boxing. HBO's looking for new blood and ratings appeal after losing Floyd and Oscar in promotions. The model may not work, but I can see what HBO is doing here.

Jack

the fans shit on the klitschko brothers because hbo was trying to force feed them to the public. if the public wasn't so vocal and in unison about their opinions of the klitschkos...they might still be on the hbo airwaves.

jim followed larry's lead. monkey see, monkey do.

jim seems to be in love with fighters...seriously. so him speaking lovingly of dlh or rjj is not a surprise. he cried for cotto...remember?

max is another example of monkey see, monkey do. he's content with having a job and doesn't realize he's ruining his own reputation.

the younger demographic doesn't know shit about boxing. it's the older heads job to educate them on the matter. that is not just a major problem in boxing...it's a major problem in all of society.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.