Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IS ADRIEN BRONER HBO'S NEW FLOYD??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutUalBK
Did any of you see the special that HBO (Home Boys Only) did on Broner? It appears that they (HBO) are anticipating the departure of Floyd earlier than expected and are grooming or promoting the next one likened to him from the younger generation.

What are your thoughts on Broner and on this move by HBO?

I think they need their next gen Floyd and are setting the tone in case Floyd retires earlier than expected?

Thoughts??

Discuss!!
Cshel86
Dude is nothing more than a bama ass, watered-down, version of Floyd...I cant get with it. It's almost like he tries waaay too hard. That 2 Days segment should be for opponents that are challenge, and I dont see Eloy Perez as a formidable opponent for someone at Broner's skill level.

Now, I see why things seemed so intense for Donaire's segment of 2 Days, but Broner's was somewhat of a joke. He was calling Perez a bum and he truly is, so that didn't give Broner much credit for beating him. I got tired of hearing Floyd's dialogue being regurgitated by him.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 17 2012, 09:17 AM) *
Dude is nothing more than a bama ass, watered-down, version of Floyd...I cant get with it. It's almost like he tries waaay too hard. That 2 Days segment should be for opponents that are challenge, and I dont see Eloy Perez as a formidable opponent for someone at Broner's skill level.

Now, I see why things seemed so intense for Donaire's segment of 2 Days, but Broner's was somewhat of a joke. He was calling Perez a bum and he truly is, so that didn't give Broner much credit for beating him. I got tired of hearing Floyd's dialogue being regurgitated by him.

I agree to some degree that he is a watered down version of Floyd but HBO is finding success promoting him as the new generation of Floyd's photocopies, he did a good job on Ponce De Leon so I guess this is where most of the hype is coming from.

He still has a long way to go IMO before he should even begin to be compared to Floyd but time will ultimately tell if he belongs in the company of Mayweather, for now though it is too early to tell.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 17 2012, 10:30 AM) *
I agree to some degree that he is a watered down version of Floyd but HBO is finding success promoting him as the new generation of Floyd's photocopies, he did a good job on Ponce De Leon so I guess this is where most of the hype is coming from.

He still has a long way to go IMO before he should even begin to be compared to Floyd but time will ultimately tell if he belongs in the company of Mayweather, for now though it is too early to tell.

Agreed. He's just putting the carriage in front of the horse, talking about buying Bugattis and so forth. Now we ALL know that these guys dont make THAT kind of money this soon. People also forget that after these guys get paid, the following people get their cut:

1. Uncle Sam
2. Promoter (2 in his case)
3. Managers
4. Trainer
5. Other assistants
6. Bills, bills, bills, bills, bills, bills
7. Children or child support
8. Family members that are suddenly financially incapable when you start making decent money
9. Food and clothing
10. Let's not forget about the mighty tax bracket that changes when you start making more money.

After all of this paid for, it's hard to believe that these guys are making the money that they're bragging about. Hell, Khan's a bigger star than Broner, and he only made $950K in his last fight, so that should tell us something.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 17 2012, 10:38 AM) *
Agreed. He's just putting the carriage in front of the horse, talking about buying Bugattis and so forth. Now we ALL know that these guys dont make THAT kind of money this soon. People also forget that after these guys get paid, the following people get their cut:

1. Uncle Sam
3. Managers
4. Trainer
5. Other assistants
8. Family members that are suddenly financially incapable when you start making decent money
9. Food and clothing
10. Let's not forget about the mighty tax bracket that changes when you start making more money.

After all of this paid for, it's hard to believe that these guys are making the money that they're bragging about. Hell, Khan's a bigger star than Broner, and he only made $950K in his last fight, so that should tell us something.

Fake it til you make it! These dudes stay talking about caviar life sTYles with spam dividends. GTFOH lol

Cshel I see you said Bama Ass! You gotta be from the DMV or NY or my home states slang has spread out for real
Cshel86
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jul 17 2012, 11:22 AM) *
Fake it til you make it! These dudes stay talking about caviar life sTYles with spam dividends. GTFOH lol

Cshel I see you said Bama Ass! You gotta be from the DMV or NY or my home states slang has spread out for real

Ha! Pops is from Southeast D.C. and that word is a regular in his arsenal. laugh.gif

Im under the assumption that these guys are leasing these cars and hell, maybe their jewelry. As average citizens, our annual income doesn't mean that we live off of that. Hell, I've been an assistant for a book keeper, and I've seen people making about $50k/annually, and only living off of under $20k, smh. It happens.

Everything that I listed takes a toll on your income. Hell, people with those high levels of education can forget it because student loans and such. Im wondering how some of these fighters live off of their purses, and fight 4-8 months at a time, while taking care of themselves, families, etc.

Sorry about the financial tangent...but if he wants to be like Floyd, cool....just dont try to copy his financial habits.
bMaK
Dude obviously wants to be Floyd, but I don't mind him as a fighter. He's exciting to watch and he's got skills. I'm not really with the outside the ring shit, don't care how dude gets down or what he does to get attention. Just keep performing.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 17 2012, 09:38 AM) *

1. Uncle Sam
3. Managers
4. Trainer
5. Other assistants
9. Food and clothing

Agreed! I guess he's being told by HBO's PR people to lay it on thick so that he can build the kind of fanfare that Floyd has, even Mayweather isn't acting as brash as he used to so I guess they need a controversial figurine to build the hype off of and Broner has that Swag they're looking for.
BoxingFan86
Broner is Floyd's biggest fan. Hell, he said so himself. Ol' boy even goes as far as callin' Floyd his "big brother," no lie. In 1 of his interviews, when asked if he watches tapes of his opponents, he stated that he only watches tapes on Mayweather...ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!
checkleft
Of course he is because rumor is Floyd is going to showtime.

But who cares hes a talented fighter, I like watching him. I'm not gonna crush on the guy I just like watching these dudes fight.
daprofessor
it happens every generation....

ray robinson wanted to be joe louis....

ali wanted to be ray robinson....

leonard wanted to be ali....

and so on and so forth. i've heard ali given credit for saying things that i know robinson said first....and i remember leonard even trying to emulate ali in how he spoke when he was coming up....so it comes as no surprise that bradley and broner use a lot of what floyd says in their own dialogue. it just shows a lack of character and depth imo.

on a different note....what's with the colorful ass socks he was rockin? i must be gettin old as fuck because them shits look like something little girls wear. laugh.gif
checkleft
^^ that had me going Haha
Franchize
The kid can fight. Dont get me wrong. I think he will be more than just a flash in the pan. He has some serious talent. That being said, watching that 2 days thing just annoyed me. Its worse than when Kobe first came in the league imitating Jordan. He is trying so hard to be Floyd its pathetic. Guys like Roy, Floyd, Ali just oozed personality. Whether you liked them or not, they were just naturally charismatic and intriguing. This kid just seems so scripted. Its like he writes down slogans and things to do befire he walks out the door. Knock it off.

I admittedly used to where girly socks. Theyre super comfortable :-( Dont judge me.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 17 2012, 06:08 PM) *
I admittedly used to where girly socks. Theyre super comfortable :-( Dont judge me.

*Cshel reads this and slowly steps away from the keyboard*

laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 17 2012, 05:08 PM) *
The kid can fight. Dont get me wrong. I think he will be more than just a flash in the pan. He has some serious talent. That being said, watching that 2 days thing just annoyed me. Its worse than when Kobe first came in the league imitating Jordan. He is trying so hard to be Floyd its pathetic. Guys like Roy, Floyd, Ali just oozed personality. Whether you liked them or not, they were just naturally charismatic and intriguing. This kid just seems so scripted. Its like he writes down slogans and things to do befire he walks out the door. Knock it off.

Yes its pretty annoying. But he has had flashes of creativity and originality, but its too little. Like the chacha he pulled in the last fight, his whole can man thing I had never heard before, and the "I should have fought with my chain on because I don't think I got touched" made me chuckle.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 17 2012, 11:00 PM) *

pretty much everything i wanted to say
Franchize
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 17 2012, 07:02 PM) *
Yes its pretty annoying. But he has had flashes of creativity and originality, but its too little. Like the chacha he pulled in the last fight, his whole can man thing I had never heard before, and the "I should have fought with my chain on because I don't think I got touched" made me chuckle.

That little doe c doe he did and Eloy's bow was quite entertaining lol. It was like Dancing with the Stars lol

Shel man... Dont judge my socks. It was a face. I had a pair with sheep n clouds that felt divine on my feet.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 17 2012, 05:00 PM) *

and so on and so forth. i've heard ali given credit for saying things that i know robinson said first....and i remember leonard even trying to emulate ali in how he spoke when he was coming up....so it comes as no surprise that bradley and broner use a lot of what floyd says in their own dialogue. it just shows a lack of character and depth imo.

on a different note....what's with the colorful ass socks he was rockin? i must be gettin old as fuck because them shits look like something little girls wear. laugh.gif

Yeah, apparently that Lil Wayne skin-tight skinny jeans stuff with dudes wearing their hair long like girls is in nowadays, they call it their Swag!

Whatever though!! LOL

I like Broner though, the kid has got mad skills and he is definitely a player in the future of this sport.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 17 2012, 08:05 PM) *
Shel man... Dont judge my socks. It was a face. I had a pair with sheep n clouds that felt divine on my feet.

Ha! I may have had a pair of Scooby Doo socks, who knows...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 17 2012, 08:39 PM) *
Ha! I may have had a pair of Scooby Doo socks, who knows...

Are we still on the "Bama" topic?

Bahahahahah..lls
Musashi100
i don;t got no problem with him, he provides a good laugh every now an than. hes just building himself up, hopefully one day i can buy a ppv fight of his.
mrchitown
In the end it's good for tv and it grabs attention...I like Broner and I think he's going to carry the sport along with the likes of Ward and a few others when Mayweather and Manny eventually retire. My only issue with him is the Mayweather like phrases, I;ve said time and time again that he and Bradley need to find their own lane and stick with that. Bradley is even worse because after he got the Pacquiao fight, he started saying 28 tried and 28 failed. These dudes blatantly bite Mayweather and keep a straight face.

Broner is young and is obviously gifted. I don't see many challenges to him in his division for the next few yrs actually. He'd have to move up to face stiffer competition. I think Broner like Mayweather is appealing to the hip hop market and I can't be mad at that because that is an exploited market by everyone but blacks for the most part/ Floyd didn't hit it big until he beat Oscar but his image, brand is rooted in the black market, he proved that their is a lane out there for the hip hop demographic and he cakaed up because of it. But back to Broner...he should be himself because when he does and says the things he does, it seems forced
The Original MrFactor
Broner is a good fighter, thus far. His persona rubs me the wrong way. He seems a bit immature. What happened to the ray leonard's and Thomas hearns' of the world. They answer questions like men and carry themselves like me. That whole brushing his hair and ghetto fab hoodrat stuff sucks. It doesnt make me want to watch him win.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 18 2012, 03:44 AM) *
Broner is a good fighter, thus far. His persona rubs me the wrong way. He seems a bit immature. What happened to the ray leonard's and Thomas hearns' of the world. They answer questions like men and carry themselves like me. That whole brushing his hair and ghetto fab hoodrat stuff sucks. It doesnt make me want to watch him win.

That's just what they were>>>the good ol days when men were men, nowadays everybody is just trying to be like someone else or everyone else, copycats/carbon copies and they call it their "Swag" and if you say something that is against it then they attack you for your opinion.

Broner is a little immature only when he's playing up the "Swag" part of his persona when HBO's cameras are on him but I've heard him speak very intellectually when the moment calls for it so he can show a certain maturity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.