Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NBC Sports Proposes 67 Second Between Round Rule?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
The Association of Boxing Commissions, at next week's annual meeting will hear a request proposed by NBC Sports to increase the rest time from 60-seconds between rounds to 67 seconds between rounds. The producer of the popular Fight Night Series says that they have to run to 30-second commercials, and there is not enough time to show replay action of exciting rounds or controversial issues in rounds. NBC Sports thinks it will aid the production better, because it won't be rushed.

Opponents say no. Networks have worked well with the traditional 60 Second rest rule throughout commissions and championship federations for years. They claim a "slippery slope argument" that if 7 seconds is added to the break for more commercials, hypothetically, what's next? Reducing rounds from 3:00 to 2:30 to get more advertising?

So far, I would oppose the 67 round rest. Networks running boxing on commercial TV, there is a solution, shorter commercials! (Which most people DVR though on Fast-Forward anyway.)

The feelings among ABC delegates are split. Pros and cons will be discussed at the next meeting:

http://www.boxingscene.com/abc-decide-on-n...-request--55136

Jack
daprofessor
there's already a delay in broadcast just in case someone swears during a telecast. how does that delay play into all of this? they should let the fight stay the same....and use their delay to do whatever it is they need to do for advertisers. don't switch up my beloved sport to appease some b.s. corp trying to sell some bullshit we don't need.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 19 2012, 12:39 AM) *
there's already a delay in broadcast just in case someone swears during a telecast. how does that delay play into all of this? they should let the fight stay the same....and use their delay to do whatever it is they need to do for advertisers. don't switch up my beloved sport to appease some b.s. corp trying to sell some bullshit we don't need.

I agree with you professor,

The main argument that I would have is it hasn't been a problem for say, ESPN for years, so why is this an issue now? I think that with SKILLED PRODUCTION, they might be able to make the transitions better. I have seen many commercial telecasts go to commercials at the bell just as a guy gets knocked down, or there is some after-the-bell melay. I remember from 1983 the Chacon-Boza Edwards II fight on NBC Sportsword, there was a knockdown by Chacon in the closing seconds of round 1, and NBC quick cuts to an Insurance Commercial of a house burning and we missed the live call of the count in one of the most two-sided fights, with multiple knockdowns that year. (It was a WAR!)

I blame sloppy production values on the rushed element when action is not properly captured for the audience. Adding rest time I am not convinced is going to make for a better presentation. I would assume that none of this would apply to non-commercial Premium Channel and PPV telecasts. I would welcome further study and debate on this topic, but right now, I am moving towards 'No." Keep the one minute rest period as it is for all boxing matches, and advertisers keep working to manage your commercial time appropriately as in the past.

Jack
Franchize
I think it taints the playing field. If everyone isn't fighting under the same parameters, then the sport becomes inaccurate. Besides, it's a competitive disadvantage for fighters who come on late and/or rely on outworking or tiring out their opponent.
pacco_diablo
Well here lies the double edge sword. We're wanting to see more boxing on broadcast television yet not willing to budge on what would most effectively make the broadcast better. I work in television/video production so maybe I'm a bit more biased to the understanding of how it all works. I'm not sure if anyone notices but occasionally on ESPN the round it cut into a bit coming back from commercial break. Changing the spot time for advertisers is simply not a possibility. These commercials are not made for just one network.

I cant say that I'm a fan of changing from 60 to 67 sec. officially though either, however there is already a delay from the time of "seconds out" to the point of which the fight starts already.

Pick your poison...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 19 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Well here lies the double edge sword. We're wanting to see more boxing on broadcast television yet not willing to budge on what would most effectively make the broadcast better. I work in television/video production so maybe I'm a bit more biased to the understanding of how it all works. I'm not sure if anyone notices but occasionally on ESPN the round it cut into a bit coming back from commercial break. Changing the spot time for advertisers is simply not a possibility. These commercials are not made for just one network.

I cant say that I'm a fan of changing from 60 to 67 sec. officially though either, however there is already a delay from the time of "seconds out" to the point of which the fight starts already.

Pick your poison...

And there is also a sinking economy and the move to infomercials to fill air time, rather than have the quality memorable commercials of the past. The demographics and economics of commercial TV today, requires that more ad-time be sold to compensate for the loss of sponsored commercials. Advertisers may be a little more willing to support boxing on a commercial network if they can get their ads in.

At least we might have less chaos of getting seconds out of the ring on time, and maybe those few extra seconds would make everyone feel not so rushed. If the ABC passes it, they better put a FIRM time on it. It might not go through though. It seems to be very split.

Good points, much as us traditionalists may like it, advertisers in this shit economy are not going to want to cut back ad time.

With skilled production we may not even notice the difference.

Jack
daprofessor
it wasn't a problem in the past. tv ppl are just being lazy. they need to step up their game.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 19 2012, 12:39 AM) *

+1

I think the only time an extended break should be allowed if they were to do so should and would be for the benefit of a seriously injured fighter who required a little bit more of an indepth examine by a doctor to determine if the fighter be allowed to carry on but never for the benefit of some stupid advertiser(s).
BoxingStill#1
Much to be said about this.

But overall, 7 seconds of extra recovery time can and will change the outcome of any fight

The problem is this. In other networked sports there has always been a moment when they can break away and shoot a quick commercial or two. Football for example have reviewed plays, challenged calls and so forththe, not to mention all the time between plays. Basketball same thing. Granted these sports have periods and ennings,.. broken down into simple timed game.

Boxing is however a combat sport, and unpredictable one that one punch changes the enire outcome. Perhaps the networks can bank on a low blow and all of a sudden we have 5 minutes to run a series of commercials in. Next thing you know we'll have refs calling low blows every fight and networks not showing replays. Making the penalty a mandatory 5 minute wait and 1 point deduction.

Rambling at this point, but one thing is for sure, there really isnt an effective way to play full 30 second commercials without interupting the broadcast or ultimately detrimentally changing the sport

Idk, in my opinion, yes, I do want more exposure to boxing, but not at such a cost
BoxingStill#1
Wait, does anyone know the average amount of commercials played in about an hour long program?

I know if they wanted they can squeeze in one commercial at the end of every round? I mean thats roughly 11 commercials? Plus prefight commentary?

After more thought I just dont see the problem.. and as Jack mentioned, with proper production I dont see what the problem is?
BrutUalBK
I think most of the people responding are only looking at this as though it is simply about the fighter (as in if he got hurt badly and was allowed extra time/7 seconds to recover) but most of us understand that this is being suggested for the sake of advertising and not for the hurt fighter's benefit.

Like I said before, "the only time this rule should be instituted is if the injured fighter required more time for a Doctor's examination to determine whether or not the fighter could continue".

Here's an example: If one fighter picks up another fighter and slams him on the canvas and the slammed fighter gets a broken collar bone, jaw or whatever, I would think an extra 7 seconds for the Doctor to examine the fighter wouldn't hurt anything, if Doc says he can fight then it's on, if the fighter elects to quit-then so be it and the other fighter wins or it goes to the scorecards.

Never for the benefit of the advertisers though, never and I'm one of the firm belief that all commercials should be presented at the end of a fight or movie/tv program so if anyone wants to watch then they can so they do not interrupt the regular programming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.