Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: if u were a fighter....
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
promoter? manager? trainer...etc.

and why?
KOpower
If I were elite...I wouldn't sign with anyone. These crooks like King, Haymon, etc wouldn't get a dime of my money.

You know what I do? I go after a REALLY smart lawyer. Someone that is smart and NOT in the boxing business. Golden Boy? LoL. Top Rank? LoL. Give me someone that isn't a crook.
mrchitown
I'd do it the Sugar Ray Leonard way..the same way Sugar Ray Robinson did it, B hop has done it, Floyd is doing it and Joe Frazier did it with "Cloverlay" somewhat. The problem with most fighters is the same problem with most people who want to entertain or be in an industry for big bucks, they get hooked on the "Big" companies. I like the idea more of being a self contained unit and contracting others businesses out. It's a proven method and it is still working today i.e. Floyd Mayweather jr
checkleft
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jul 19 2012, 08:52 PM) *
If I were elite...I wouldn't sign with anyone. These crooks like King, Haymon, etc wouldn't get a dime of my money.

You know what I do? I go after a REALLY smart lawyer. Someone that is smart and NOT in the boxing business. Golden Boy? LoL. Top Rank? LoL. Give me someone that isn't a crook.

Lawyer = Crook lol

BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 19 2012, 08:57 PM) *
promoter? manager? trainer...etc.

and why?

My promoters, trainers, and managers would be......Larry Merchant....cuz he's starting to look like and old ass Bob Barker...and we could do it...if the price is right...Mike Tyson...and Roger Mayweather. ....
We would be.called the WTF? Crew....nobody would know.what the hell is going on with us.......
And when we reeeeeeeeeally want to just.have a meltdown....just outta nowhere. ...I'll have none other..than MR and MRS MELTDOWN themselves.....Zaaaaaaaaab Judaaahhhhhh....and Vicious..Missez. .Orrrtiiizzzzz
Franchize
Goossen, Al Haymon, Roger Mayweather or Virgin Hunter
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Jul 19 2012, 10:09 PM) *
My promoters, trainers, and managers would be......Larry Merchant....cuz he's starting to look like and old ass Bob Barker...and we could do it...if the price is right...Mike Tyson...and Roger Mayweather. ....
We would be.called the WTF? Crew....nobody would know.what the hell is going on with us.......
And when we reeeeeeeeeally want to just.have a meltdown....just outta nowhere. ...I'll have none other..than MR and MRS MELTDOWN themselves.....Zaaaaaaaaab Judaaahhhhhh....and Vicious..Missez. .Orrrtiiizzzzz

laugh.gif good shit.
mgrover
I really have no idea, I'd just make sure not to get into a long contract
BrutUalBK
Before I'd sign with anyone I'd go and trademark my name and ensure that nobody can actually buy it without paying me royalties on it, then I'd probably sign with an up and coming company like Mayweather Promotions because even though they have a famous Promoter (Floyd) behind their name the fact remains that they are a new and undeveloped company with only one true Cashcow to rake in their dough and keep the company name relevant.

An up and coming successful fighter with one punch KO power can easily stimulate the senses and bring excitement to a company that would be virtually unknown and basically no big names signed, last but not least, i would ensure that my contracts were only for no more 1 year and no more than 3 fights per year with Free Agency whenever the contract ends<<<this guarantees that I will not become a Slave to the Promoter.

Shaw's production could use a boost and then there's the ubiquitous Muhammad who desperately needs a comeback kid, whoever it would be they would have to understand that I'm not with them for the long haul, especially if they have been shady in their dealings with their other fights.
KOpower
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 19 2012, 10:07 PM) *
I'd do it the Sugar Ray Leonard way..the same way Sugar Ray Robinson did it, B hop has done it, Floyd is doing it and Joe Frazier did it with "Cloverlay" somewhat. The problem with most fighters is the same problem with most people who want to entertain or be in an industry for big bucks, they get hooked on the "Big" companies. I like the idea more of being a self contained unit and contracting others businesses out. It's a proven method and it is still working today i.e. Floyd Mayweather jr

Not someone outside of the boxing game. You go to a big firm and pay them money to represent you and they sure as hell won't rob you. Their reputation as a firm is far more important than trying to swindle a few million from some boxing chump.

I wouldn't want ANYONE that makes boxing their everything. If promoting fights/fighters is their primary source of income/fame...then you are far more likely to fatten your pockets that way.
mrchitown
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jul 21 2012, 11:15 AM) *
Not someone outside of the boxing game. You go to a big firm and pay them money to represent you and they sure as hell won't rob you. Their reputation as a firm is far more important than trying to swindle a few million from some boxing chump.

I wouldn't want ANYONE that makes boxing their everything. If promoting fights/fighters is their primary source of income/fame...then you are far more likely to fatten your pockets that way.

Unfortunately you are somewhat incorrect. Independence is an assured route for those who have the wherewithall to see it all the way thru and has a great product. Have you ever worked in entertainment before? I got my start in marketing thru a company called Chrewd who just so happened to be the biggest marketing firm in Chicago and it was by marketing movies, sports, music releases and all other forms of entertainment.

You will not find one BIG artist who will tell you that they prefer a "firm" over doing it their own way. I find people who depend on others to make them or to assist them have what I call the lazy gene. Who is going to push your career better then you? a firm? LOl that's ridiculous.

Rapper 50 cent =independent, he had a gold album before he blew up and people don't even know that. You look at a Spike Lee or a Tylerr Perry=Self contained and independent, all they do is use a studio for distribution. Some of the best boxers to lace'em up have done it this way. I think Sugar Ray Leonard did it the best. He used different promoters and contracted them out to promote the fight. He set up the venues his self, the purse splits all went thru him, etc. (ring a bell?)..I bet if you aks Larry Holmes which he prefers he'd definitely say independent lol

One of my best friends who turned pro a little over a year ago does it this way and he's doing quite well for himself. He's a middleweight by the name of Byron Traylor, he used to train with Paul Williams in D.C., he has a team of investors and he makes more money fighting thru that system then he would with a promo boxing company
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.