Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broner Fans...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
I will openly admit that this "Broner plague" has some ass-chapping symptoms...it makes you dislike him because of how much of a douche he can be, but it makes you talk more and more about him...even if it's against your will. I believe he will have a pretty good career though. He wins from that standpoint...

Overall, the chief reason that makes it hard to like him, is because of his "out of the woodwork" super fans that have plastered the fuckin' net. Seriously man, you can spot them from a mile away, and smack them with the "you're not a real boxing fan" stick.

People are already saying that he's going to be the next big PPV star along with some other witless accolades that remain to be seen. That's how you know that they really dont know the sport, because anybody with two brain cells to rub together, knows how much is needed to get to that point.

It's almost like the "Johnny Come Lately" Floyd superfans (not the rational fans of old) have found a new host. Floyd got here the hard way of course, while this dude is obviously riding his name, personality, fighting style, etc. I bet some of these new fans believe in unicorns, pink elephants, and the tooth fairy as well no2.gif

It's not that I dislike this guy, don't get me wrong, but his fans are killing me. I'm not knocking any fighter that has fans, that's how they become big. It's okay to support your favorite fighter, but at least be rational about it.

Am I being a hater, or is it that these new fans have aimlessly dived in yet, another realm of nuthuggery?
mitukczuk
Broner got a new fan in me when he said "I know where my place is" meaning he is aware of the fact the hardest part of the road is still ahead of him. I like the fact he gave credit to Floyd and to be honest, it's nice to see someone appreciating Floyd's skills for a change. (Just saying, I don't want to make a Floyd thread out of this) But again, he is using Floyd to get a recognition...it's a different kind of piggybacking...the one that is not full of bullshit (Pac), but full of admiration and comparison..which at the end of the day, kind of hurts my ears seeing how far Broner is from Floyd...

However , I know what you mean....There has been a lot of buzz surrounding Broner these past few days. However, it's highly premature to call him "The next big thing" . He is yet to face a SERIOUS competition, his boxing does have flaws and his chin hasn't been checked.

On the other hand, I like to see a new guy with a potential and charisma, emerging from the bunch of young "false hopes" (Ortiz, Berto, Khan).
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jul 24 2012, 12:02 PM) *
he is using Floyd to get a recognition...it's a different kind of piggybacking...

He's Floyd's clone at this point...it's dead obvious. Piggybacking, would be Floyd and Manny using each other's names and so forth, promote their fights.

Floyd's persona is worn out, but somebody else coming along and milking it, is a bit much. It works for Floyd and Floyd only. How many times have we seen fighters over the past few years, trying to use their '0' to get ahead in the sport? Now we have a guy whose trying to be EXACTLY like him no2.gif
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 24 2012, 11:15 AM) *
He's Floyd's clone at this point...it's dead obvious. Piggybacking, would be Floyd and Manny using each other's names and so forth, promote their fights.

Floyd's persona is worn out, but somebody else coming along and milking it, is a bit much. It works for Floyd and Floyd only. How many times have we seen fighters over the past few years, trying to use their '0' to get ahead in the sport? Now we have a guy whose trying to be EXACTLY like him no2.gif

I got you, C'.
However, as you can see...it works for him. Whatever he does - milking, nutthugging,using Floyd's name or whatever..., it works, because I keep hearing Broner's name wherever I turn. It sucks, it's not original, it's kind of terrible to look at but it works...This thread is a proof of that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jul 24 2012, 12:30 PM) *
it works, because I keep hearing Broner's name wherever I turn. It sucks, it's not original, it's kind of terrible to look at but it works...This thread is a proof of that.

I KNOW man! It's a plague I tell ya, it's a plague! laugh.gif
BigFightFan
I like the entertainment value Broner brings when watching a telecast he is headlining. He can drop the Floydisms and do just as well with the goofy shit he be saying. The Can-Man rant was classic in my opinion and it had nothing to do with being like Floyd.

Let's not look past his performance though.I thought he looked well, but he has some holes in his game. He throws that lead left hook from to far of a distance, which could be countered or set up if the opponent uses a good faint. Also he was 2 repetitive with the jab to the body, Escobedo knew it was coming but wasn't fast enough to counter. If he continues to win and mature he will find himself and maybe become a star(ppv draw)
checkleft
Everyone piggybacks some more than other. But he performs in the ring, ya some of his fans are annoying but every fighter has at least one of those fans.
mrchitown
I've been a fan of Broner's for quite some time, the same goes for Russell Jr and others. But what I don't get is this meteoric appointment as the heir apparent. I've stated that he and Russell jr and Ward, Donarie, etc. could be the next wave of stars to carry the sport. Broner has the talent in the ring and his humor is appealing though at sometimes it seems forced. He has potential to be a big star and a standout fighter but as one of my former coaches told me, potential doesn't mean shit if you don't capitalize on it. He needs to carve out his own lane and stop biting the Mayweather script
Cshel86
Juuuust when I thought I was over this whole Broner thing, it comes back with a vengeance. NOW, I cant read anything hearing his name and so forth. This is gonna be an ugly wave of delusionally-based "wins", cleaning out of divisions, huge PPV numbers, blah blah blah.

It's official, Broner zealots are on the rise. It's almost worse than the rapture...it's full of pain and destruction, but it's necessary for the better of the world. With that compared to boxing, Broner is loved/hated, his fans bring destruction with their wild accolades, but at the end of the day, it's good for boxing because the sport does need more stars.

Im confused...I like the guy now...but again, his fans are the worse, already.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 26 2012, 08:44 AM) *
Juuuust when I thought I was over this whole Broner thing, it comes back with a vengeance. NOW, I cant read anything hearing his name and so forth. This is gonna be an ugly wave of delusionally-based "wins", cleaning out of divisions, huge PPV numbers, blah blah blah.

It's official, Broner zealots are on the rise. It's almost worse than the rapture...it's full of pain and destruction, but it's necessary for the better of the world. With that compared to boxing, Broner is loved/hated, his fans bring destruction with their wild accolades, but at the end of the day, it's good for boxing because the sport does need more stars.

Im confused...I like the guy now...but again, his fans are the worse, already.

laugh.gif

i'm torn too...i don't know if i like the guy....but his skills are undeniable. i think he's going to be around for a while.
BrutUalBK
Well, it's one thing to like and appreciate Broner but it is a whole nother business dealing with his insane fans-this kind of reminds me of Pac's fans.<<<<<Most of them are not true boxing fans either, they're just here until Pac loses badly then they'll disappear.

Unfortunately because of Broner's swag he will attract a new genre of fans who'll carry a lot of disrespect and flair for the dramatic but this should not be blamed on Adriene, personally i think Broner will bring a freshness to the game but it won't be anything you haven't seen already-just a guy trying to make his mark in this sport.
Slumpage
Until i see him in with some actual live opposition, I find it hard to see him as anything more special than Berto when he was the undefeated Al Haymon Floyd 2.0.
I think Al sees the blue print Floyd created and tries to find similar style fighters who can try continue milking that particular niche. Thing is, with Berto and now Broner, they were acting like Floyd does NOW, although they have yet to accomplish even a tiny % of what he has and had at their age?! As someone else here said, Floyd had to come up the ranks fighting real contenders, the same can't be said for these guys. I just feel guys like Broner are tryna run before they really got that walk down pat. Hard to knock it tho cos it's getting em paid handsomely. I just prefer to see a Gary Russel Jr type, hone his craft, beat some people I've heard of, THEN talk shit to boost sales or whatever...
checkleft
I can't agree with the Gary Russell comparison because he hasn't really honed any craft and has been against even lesser opposition than broner.. by now I figured he would at least be fighting decent competition and out of 6-8 round fights because its obvious the guy has skill.

But here's the twist in this topic. Not too long ago Russell did call donaire out vaguely, so let's put it in this perspective when mayweather started boxing he was highly touted robbed out of gold in the Olympics had a fighting family name and had one of the top promoters in the business so it was easy for him to pull the big names early in his career. Fast forward to today where its much harder to make a name for yourself, would you as a big/recognized name or mid/top fighter get in the ring with a guy such as broner who has little to offer financially has all the talent and athletic ability in the world and could basically emberrass you in front of a worldwide audience.

Not defending anyone just trying to give a different prospective
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 26 2012, 07:15 PM) *
I can't agree with the Gary Russell comparison because he hasn't really honed any craft and has been against even lesser opposition than broner.. by now I figured he would at least be fighting decent competition and out of 6-8 round fights because its obvious the guy has skill.

But here's the twist in this topic. Not too long ago Russell did call donaire out vaguely, so let's put it in this perspective when mayweather started boxing he was highly touted robbed out of gold in the Olympics had a fighting family name and had one of the top promoters in the business so it was easy for him to pull the big names early in his career. Fast forward to today where its much harder to make a name for yourself, would you as a big/recognized name or mid/top fighter get in the ring with a guy such as broner who has little to offer financially has all the talent and athletic ability in the world and could basically emberrass you in front of a worldwide audience.

Not defending anyone just trying to give a different prospective

there's more than one way to become build ur name.

u can beat a bunch of no hopers in impressive fashion and try and maintain a decent record waiting for ur shot....

or u can challenge the best and beat them...or at the very least give them a run for their money so that the networks bring u back.

the first way takes money and a very good promoter/management.

the second way envolves educated risks...but u also need a good manager at the very least.

sergio martinez is the last guy i can think of that has done it the 2nd way. paul williams was on the track before him. i have all the respect in the world for them and fighters like them. they are a rare breed.
checkleft
Yes they are i don't understand how people can hate on fighters like that. Guys like johnson Williams Martinez molina Winky are so avoided and even if they get a big win it makes them even more avoidable and they end up having to settle for either each other or dangerous unknowns like macklin or ishida.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.