Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez/Martinez sells over 13,000 tickets???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
I've been reading this over the past week on different sites, and I must say, Im amazed. Sounds like this fight is doing pretty good...wonder how the PPV numbers will play out.

Whose really selling these tickets, Sergio or Julio? Should I be stoned to death for even asking that question???

Thoughts?
checkleft
I heard reports of this too, very surprised especially since the Canelo fight is on the same date. So I guess we know what fight the majority is watching.
mgrover
two streams ftw
daprofessor
chavez/martinez is going to do some really good numbers. jr has come into his own....and i know here in cali...he has a shit load of fans. ppl who don't normally talk boxing with me have been asking me about this fight since it was announced.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 24 2012, 03:58 PM) *
chavez/martinez is going to do some really good numbers. jr has come into his own....and i know here in cali...he has a shit load of fans. ppl who don't normally talk boxing with me have been asking me about this fight since it was announced.

I'm actually pretty surprised, I'm from cali too and a few years back I went to tge hatton Canelo fight in anaheim and he pulled in about 13000 seats too. At that time it seemed like chavez was losing steam maybe because of his competition level or whatever it may be, but your right he has come into his own. And lately it seems alvarez has taken a hit because of that whole street fight and his level of competition
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2012, 03:08 PM) *
I'm actually pretty surprised, I'm from cali too and a few years back I went to tge hatton Canelo fight in anaheim and he pulled in about 13000 seats too. At that time it seemed like chavez was losing steam maybe because of his competition level or whatever it may be, but your right he has come into his own. And lately it seems alvarez has taken a hit because of that whole street fight and his level of competition

alvarez is going to take a bigger hit when he fights lopez even if he wins. it's a no-win situation for him.

i think chavez is going to beat martinez...but even if he loses...u know it'll be a war and chavez will go out on his shield. that equals more fans with mexicans.
checkleft
Can't disagree with that, I don't see chavez backing down win or lose so this fight is basically a win win for him. While as you mentioned Canelo is gonna hear it for constantly not fighting top competition. I don't really buy the whole "oh we were gonna fight top guys but they dropped out" excuse. Because you have Lara, molina, even vanes even though he's not my favorite guy by any means.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Can't disagree with that, I don't see chavez backing down win or lose so this fight is basically a win win for him. While as you mentioned Canelo is gonna hear it for constantly not fighting top competition. I don't really buy the whole "oh we were gonna fight top guys but they dropped out" excuse. Because you have Lara, molina, even vanes even though he's not my favorite guy by any means.

absolutely...there were more credible opponents available...they chose to duck them. molina would have been my first choice...but lara, vanes, rosado and bundrage were all acceptable/available/qualified foes.
sduck
This is the must see fight of the year. Mayweather-Pacquiao of middleweights. I know some casual fans I wonder if they're aware of this fight.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (sduck @ Jul 24 2012, 05:26 PM) *
This is the must see fight of the year. Mayweather-Pacquiao of middleweights. I know some casual fans I wonder if they're aware of this fight.

Fuck no! Casual fans are not aware of this fight. The only time anyone talks boxing in my office is when the ppv kings fight. I'm taking Chavez over Martinez and Canelo over Lopez. Seems like top rank is about to serve Golden Boy a big plate of fuck you.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 24 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Fuck no! Casual fans are not aware of this fight. The only time anyone talks boxing in my office is when the ppv kings fight. I'm taking Chavez over Martinez and Canelo over Lopez. Seems like top rank is about to serve Golden Boy a big plate of fuck you.

Well worded!

In the meantime, Im about to shit my pants, because it looks like these tickets are almost sold out. If I cant find any reasonably priced tickets by Friday, then the living room it is!
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 24 2012, 05:06 PM) *
Well worded!

In the meantime, Im about to shit my pants, because it looks like these tickets are almost sold out. If I cant find any reasonably priced tickets by Friday, then the living room it is!

Have you looked at any other ticket companies? Most times they can overcharge the hell out of you but sometimes you can find a gem if your researching hard enough. I wnet to Mayweather-Ortiz and though I bought the ticket through ticketmaster the company who actually sold me the ticket was called bostonian tickets. I paid $216 for my fight ticket and that was pretty reasonable. I got my tickets to Ward-Dawson through them too
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 25 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Have you looked at any other ticket companies? Most times they can overcharge the hell out of you but sometimes you can find a gem if your researching hard enough. I wnet to Mayweather-Ortiz and though I bought the ticket through ticketmaster the company who actually sold me the ticket was called bostonian tickets. I paid $216 for my fight ticket and that was pretty reasonable. I got my tickets to Ward-Dawson through them too

Thanks man. I saw another website (about a week ago), that tickets were a bit cheaper than the UNLV site. Just want to make sure they aren't some fraud site. LOL, at you going to the Hopkins/Dawson fight...I remember you talking about it in a thread last year. cool.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2012, 11:39 AM) *
Thanks man. I saw another website (about a week ago), that tickets were a bit cheaper than the UNLV site. Just want to make sure they aren't some fraud site. LOL, at you going to the Hopkins/Dawson fight...I remember you talking about it in a thread last year. cool.gif

No prob. I'm never going to live down that Hopkins/Dawson fight..I guess that's one of the reasons I'm going to the Ward/Dawson fight...he owes me my money's worth lol. Your right, it's so many fake sites out there, you have to be careful. I know if you call ticketmaster they will give you a list of ticket resellers who they work with and that's how I got my tickets. I hate paying that xtra fee that they always want to add onto the tickets
OneOne
That fight has NOT sold 13,000 tickets. Not a chance.

C'mon guys. Unless you just started watching boxing yesterday, you should know better than to believe anything that comes out of Arum's mouth.
Cshel86
QUOTE (OneOne @ Jul 26 2012, 02:35 PM) *
That fight has NOT sold 13,000 tickets. Not a chance.

C'mon guys. Unless you just started watching boxing yesterday, you should know better than to believe anything that comes out of Arum's mouth.

I can agree with you a bit on this one, because most of the time when it's announced that "ticket sales are doing great", there ends up being seats left. On the other hand, I've checked the website, and there are only tickets ranging from $600 and up.

Jack 1000
I don't believe that. 13,000 tickets,

I call BS on Arum!

They should move Alvarez-Lopez to the following week.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 26 2012, 04:31 PM) *
I don't believe that. 13,000 tickets,

I call BS on Arum!

I agree. I was juuuuust looking for some tickets, and there are still 50 and 75 dollar tickets left. NOW, about a week ago, all I saw was $600 tickets left, so in my eyes, not only was the fight selling 13k tickets, but it was also sold out. Cshel translation: $600 tickets = SOLD OUT laugh.gif
Franchize
They needed a fight on the same card against different opponents to maximize this fight...Or at least, Chavez Jr needs a signature win. I know every Mexican and their mother may watch but I don't know if casual fans outside of that identify with Chavez. Andy Lee isn't exactly a marquee name and that's probably his biggest fight. I think this fight will do respectable numbers...just not HUGE braggin rights numbers. I think Canelo makes out like a bandit from this too. He'll steal fans from this fight AND he won't have to do it by fighting a huge name. One of the setbacks with getting Ortiz or a bigger name is that you're wasting your big PPV on a split audience. No, he gets to have a split audience but doesn't have to waste that marquee matchup on it. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 27 2012, 03:01 PM) *
They needed a fight on the same card against different opponents to maximize this fight...Or at least, Chavez Jr needs a signature win. I know every Mexican and their mother may watch but I don't know if casual fans outside of that identify with Chavez. Andy Lee isn't exactly a marquee name and that's probably his biggest fight. I think this fight will do respectable numbers...just not HUGE braggin rights numbers. I think Canelo makes out like a bandit from this too. He'll steal fans from this fight AND he won't have to do it by fighting a huge name. One of the setbacks with getting Ortiz or a bigger name is that you're wasting your big PPV on a split audience. No, he gets to have a split audience but doesn't have to waste that marquee matchup on it. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

Makes perfect sense to me sir!

To be honest, though Andy Lee wasn't a Marquee name...who is? Of course, us hardcore fans know all of these guys, but the rest of the world doesn't. Im not sure either of these PPVs will do more than 300k, if ot does more than 400k, then that's a big step, being the fact that neither 4 of the fighters in the main events have headlined a PPV card.

You're ABSOLUTELY right about Canelo making it out like a bandit. Nobody's expecting either of these two fights to do huge numbers, since this is a trial run for both of the cards. As you said, Canelo doesn't have to fight Ortiz (who can headline his own card in the future for GBP to make money), so Lopez is a good start for his projected PPV success in the future.

All people will know, is that Canelo is fighting on his first PPV, so knowing who will watch it because of that, is a pretty good sign. Chavez on the hand, has to dance with Martinez on this one, and both of their names are on the line. With the names Chavez and Martinez, this fight was supposed to have happened when the hype was built to maximum capacity...too bad that truly isn't the case here.

With that said, I somewhat understand why Arum kept Chavez away from Martinez. If this shit tanks (number wise), or pans out to be a shitty fight, then we will be revisiting Bradley/Alexander. I want those two to fight again, simply to make up for the shitty promotion put into that fight...I felt bad for both guys in that aspect.

Did I mention that I JUST bought tickets to Chavez/Martinez today? They were $75, so I'll bring extra tissue, just in case my nose bleeds. God thing about this conflicting PPV is, in the event that one of the fights get cancelled, I'll still be in Vegas to attend the one that still stands. GBP and TR bickering and cat fighting actually worked in favor this time around. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.