Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing and CBS official
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sunni6Killer
Oscar De La HoyaVerified ‏@OscarDeLaHoya

@GoldenBoyBoxing @SHOsports CBS HISTORY in the making. Boxing back on network T.V.

Dan RafaelVerified ‏@danrafaelespn

#Boxing on network TV: @GoldenBoyBoxing working w/ CBS & @SHOsports & will put on cards 10/14 & 12/15 featuring Olympian pro debuts on CBS.
daprofessor
very nice!!!

on a different note....change ur damn screen name.
checkleft
Just read about this too. This is awesome, one thing though, I wish they were looking at all fighters and not just team USA
Sunni6Killer
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2012, 01:53 PM) *
Just read about this too. This is awesome, one thing though, I wish they were looking at all fighters and not just team USA

They want to highlight American talent.
Non-American Boxers will be in high demand with promoters in their respected countries.
mrchitown
This is a good look for boxing. Kinda taking back to the SRL, Spinks Bros days. I'm looking forward to it
Franchize
I think this is great as long as they don't make it corny with a whole bunch of advertising and gimmicks. Stay true to the sport and I think this will take off excellently.
Jack 1000
Good for boxing to have more boxing on commercial networks!

But, its dollars to donuts that they will put the Olympians in with bums just to pom-pom the "Smiling Sweethearts." (i.e Fuck! I can hear Lamply now!!!!) I'd rather have more of what NBC Sports is doing, good two-sided competitive fights and wait till the Olympians are 22-0 and within six months of a title shot. Until then, spar us from their "bum of the month road show."

Jack
Sunni6Killer
You want people to jump on the wagon early, build a fan base for fighters.
Nothing wrong with getting to see prospects early in their career.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 25 2012, 12:17 PM) *
Good for boxing to have more boxing on commercial networks!

But, its dollars to donuts that they will put the Olympians in with bums just to pom-pom the "Smiling Sweethearts." (i.e Fuck! I can hear Lamply now!!!!) I'd rather have more of what NBC Sports is doing, good two-sided competitive fights and wait till the Olympians are 22-0 and within six months of a title shot. Until then, spar us from their "bum of the month road show."

Jack

this to me is a problem with fans and the lack of understanding on what it takes to transition and develop a fighter from the amateurs into the pro ranks. not everyone can come out guns a blazing....they need to be brought along properly to ensure future success in the pro ranks. sometimes/most times....that means putting them in with soft touches so they can become accustomed to fighting without headgears in front of hostile crowds. some fighters take longer than others...but this is a process that must be done strategically. while the fighters may appear as bums...each opponent serves it's purpose if it's done properly. once in a while, u get a leonard or a mayweather who comes into the pro ranks and they hit the ground running. those are extremely rare cases. while agree nbc's approach to the fights is much more entertaining...i really enjoy watching talent develop.

i remember when andre ward turned pro...i was not impressed at all. he looked like a poor man's roy jones. his defense sucked. if my memory serves me correctly, i believe he was dropped early in his career. then all the naysayers came out in full force. the best thing ward's ppl did was to pull him from the hbo cards so that they could have more say on who they faced to develop ward. he disappeared from television. while he was off television...he went to school. i got to see him in some of those fights live...here in cali...and i can tell u he really learned his craft. now today...some years later...he's one of the best in the sport. not every fighter develops at the same pace. i think cbs' approach can serve to educate fans that these guys aren't born great....it's a process.
boxingloner
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 25 2012, 11:20 AM) *
this to me is a problem with fans and the lack of understanding on what it takes to transition and develop a fighter from the amateurs into the pro ranks. not everyone can come out guns a blazing....they need to be brought along properly to ensure future success in the pro ranks. sometimes/most times....that means putting them in with soft touches so they can become accustomed to fighting without headgears in front of hostile crowds. some fighters take longer than others...but this is a process that must be done strategically. while the fighters may appear as bums...each opponent serves it's purpose if it's done properly. once in a while, u get a leonard or a mayweather who comes into the pro ranks and they hit the ground running. those are extremely rare cases. while agree nbc's approach to the fights is much more entertaining...i really enjoy watching talent develop.

i remember when andre ward turned pro...i was not impressed at all. he looked like a poor man's roy jones. his defense sucked. if my memory serves me correctly, i believe he was dropped early in his career. then all the naysayers came out in full force. the best thing ward's ppl did was to pull him from the hbo cards so that they could have more say on who they faced to develop ward. he disappeared from television. while he was off television...he went to school. i got to see him in some of those fights live...here in cali...and i can tell u he really learned his craft. now today...some years later...he's one of the best in the sport. not every fighter develops at the same pace. i think cbs' approach can serve to educate fans that these guys aren't born great....it's a process.

Yea i second your post. Just because you are an Olympian doesnt mean you will come out and be the next ODLH, Mayweather or Roy Jones Jr. In fact our U.S. Olympians when they turn pro hardly ever pan out to what people expect. Since 1988 the only Olympians that have made real noise in boxing are ODLH, Roy jones Jr, Mayweather and now Ward. Thats not many and IMO its due to there development or lack of. So it's necessary to bring them along at a slow and reasonable pace to maximize the full potential. There will be one or maybe two guys every now and then that will be blazing and can climb the ranks faster but for the most part they need to transition. Like you Professor i enjoy watching guys develop. It good to see their flaws and how they overcome them and correct them through the years. I'll watch these fighters on CBS and see them grow and see what may come of them.
Jack 1000
Good points above by Boxingloner and Professor,

Yea, you don't want them rushed too fast. Trying to think of some Olympians that had a hard fist time out. Holyfield had a tougher than expected fight in his pro-debut with a guy named Lional Byarm. Holyfield won 6-0, 5-1, and 4-2. and Michael Carbajal won a SD in a tough fight with Will Grigsby.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.