Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can people hate on Broner for fighting bums yet praise Rigo?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
I know Rigo can fight. Anybody with 2 eyes can see that but doesnt he have to do it in the ring first? Isnt that what we say about Broner? Or does Broner suffer from the Mayweather Syndrome where all contradictions apply?
checkleft
Idk what the story is with Rigo but your right he should be fighting better opposition.. but I have a feeling the top guys are staying away from him.

But what I don't get is why people don't say the same thing about Russell Jr. People talk about him like he's fighting top ten fighters, with Rigo I understand its harder for him to get a big fight because hes not very marketable but Russell has the team behind him he has a buzz and he has an entertaining style.
Cshel86
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jul 25 2012, 05:29 PM) *
does Broner suffer from the Mayweather Syndrome where all contradictions apply?

Broner should be ready for all Mayweather-related scrutiny...
daprofessor
rigondeaux beat a belt holder while broner fought an unknown for a vacant belt.

rigondeaux wants to fight the best but the best are acting like he doesn't exist.

broner has an advisor who will get him to the top in no time.

ridondeaux has a promoter who signed him to protect his other interests. (donaire)

both have skills worthy of praise. neither have faced top notch competition just yet.
Slumpage
Not to mention G-Rig kinda has an impressive amatuer pedigree, 2x Olympic Gold medalist an that...
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 25 2012, 02:28 PM) *
rigondeaux beat a belt holder while broner fought an unknown for a vacant belt.

rigondeaux wants to fight the best but the best are acting like he doesn't exist.

broner has an advisor who will get him to the top in no time.

ridondeaux has a promoter who signed him to protect his other interests. (donaire)

both have skills worthy of praise. neither have faced top notch competition just yet.

Broner dont want to fight the best? You make it sound like hes out there making his own fights and running his own carreer. Hes a fighter and he fights who GBP puts in front of him.
Slumpage
G-Rig isn't much of a draw at the mo, thus presents a high risk to low reward ratio for many fighters. So his lack of high level pro competition is understandable and not really his fault. Whereas Broner IS a draw (thanks in large part to his self promotion, but his people put him in a position to be able to market himself), thus presenting a relatively higher reward and possibly lower risk ratio for other fighters. So whenever he takes on a low quality opponent, we know he/his team chose that guy over a more accomplished dude. In the case of G-Rig, if he's fighting a "bum" its prob cos the other guy *cough Donaire, cough* doesn't wanna face him and so has to fight a lesser opponent.

Although i'm ready to see Mares get tossed in there with him already...
sduck
I think it might because Rigo is an impressive southpaw, something rare.
Franchize
I'm going to wait until a fighter turns at least 24-25 before I start complaining about him ducking and dodging competition. Just my general rule of thumb.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jul 26 2012, 07:13 AM) *
Broner dont want to fight the best? You make it sound like hes out there making his own fights and running his own carreer. Hes a fighter and he fights who GBP puts in front of him.

rigondeaux has been calling out the best since the beginning.

broner just called out the best after his last fight.

let's see what happens.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Jul 26 2012, 08:31 AM) *
G-Rig isn't much of a draw at the mo, thus presents a high risk to low reward ratio for many fighters. So his lack of high level pro competition is understandable and not really his fault. Whereas Broner IS a draw (thanks in large part to his self promotion, but his people put him in a position to be able to market himself), thus presenting a relatively higher reward and possibly lower risk ratio for other fighters. So whenever he takes on a low quality opponent, we know he/his team chose that guy over a more accomplished dude. In the case of G-Rig, if he's fighting a "bum" its prob cos the other guy *cough Donaire, cough* doesn't wanna face him and so has to fight a lesser opponent.

Although i'm ready to see Mares get tossed in there with him already...

he has 2 wins over mares in the amateurs. mares says he wants to fight rigondeaux eventually...but like everyone else, he wants donaire.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 26 2012, 11:35 AM) *
I'm going to wait until a fighter turns at least 24-25 before I start complaining about him ducking and dodging competition. Just my general rule of thumb.

i don't think he's dodging or ducking anyone. i do believe he has the skill set to step up his competition though. he's one of those guys that could have hit the ground running. the fact that they matched him with ponce so early in his career tells me they had faith in him.
Slumpage
@DaProfessor, yeah I knew he'd beat Mares once in the Ammys, didn't know it was twice tho. I gave Mares a lot of credit for even mentioning G-Rig an saying he wants the fight, especially considering he KNOWS what kind of a hype facing him is. GBP I think have kinda put the brakes on that whole thing I reckon tho. Donaire has disappointed me man, I never had him down as a fighter who'd dodge a challenge, but I think it's pretty clear he has no intention of facing El Chacal anytime soon... Mares will get the fight with Donaire tho, let's hope he can get a win and then just maybe G-Rig can get a nice payday fight.

As for Broner, I think that Ponce fight let his handlers know he wasn't quite ready to "hit the ground running", however now I'd say he's definitely up to pace and ready to start taking on some top opposition.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Jul 26 2012, 06:33 PM) *
@DaProfessor, yeah I knew he'd beat Mares once in the Ammys, didn't know it was twice tho. I gave Mares a lot of credit for even mentioning G-Rig an saying he wants the fight, especially considering he KNOWS what kind of a hype facing him is. GBP I think have kinda put the brakes on that whole thing I reckon tho. Donaire has disappointed me man, I never had him down as a fighter who'd dodge a challenge, but I think it's pretty clear he has no intention of facing El Chacal anytime soon... Mares will get the fight with Donaire tho, let's hope he can get a win and then just maybe G-Rig can get a nice payday fight.

As for Broner, I think that Ponce fight let his handlers know he wasn't quite ready to "hit the ground running", however now I'd say he's definitely up to pace and ready to start taking on some top opposition.

i think at this point donaire is really trying to maximize his earning potential...and from a fighter/business standpoint...i can't be mad at him for that. he took a risk to avenge his brothers loss to darchinyan and that paid dividends. now he's with top rank and riding the wave of that montiel ko. that wave has ran it's course so now he's facing arce. i don't believe arce is going to present a real challenge...but u never know. of all the opponents available to him...it's the smartest option. arce is probably the most beatable, definitely the most recognizable of everyone available. he'll get a decent pay day and footage for his highlight reel. hopefully after that he'll face at least one of the top guys. i'd be happy with any of the following...mares, rigo, moreno or agbeko. i think they all beat him...his best chances are against agbeko. it's unfair to ask him to fight them all. floyd didn't fight them all. he sat back and waited for things to sort themselves out. smart move on his part. it pissed fans off...but he's still on top undefeated with big money. expect plenty of guys to try and follow this formula from now on. it sucks for the fans....but it keeps their earning potential up.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 26 2012, 09:19 PM) *
i think at this point donaire is really trying to maximize his earning potential...and from a fighter/business standpoint...i can't be mad at him for that. he took a risk to avenge his brothers loss to darchinyan and that paid dividends. now he's with top rank and riding the wave of that montiel ko. that wave has ran it's course so now he's facing arce. i don't believe arce is going to present a real challenge...but u never know. of all the opponents available to him...it's the smartest option. arce is probably the most beatable, definitely the most recognizable of everyone available. he'll get a decent pay day and footage for his highlight reel. hopefully after that he'll face at least one of the top guys. i'd be happy with any of the following...mares, rigo, moreno or agbeko. i think they all beat him...his best chances are against agbeko. it's unfair to ask him to fight them all. floyd didn't fight them all. he sat back and waited for things to sort themselves out. smart move on his part. it pissed fans off...but he's still on top undefeated with big money. expect plenty of guys to try and follow this formula from now on. it sucks for the fans....but it keeps their earning potential up.

Good post..

Nuf said
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.