Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WEEKEND IN BOXING:OLYMPICS, SHO/BOXNATION
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Cheesey1
Olympic boxing officially starts. George Groves returns to the ring and Robert Guerrero wants to show that he can quickly become an elite welterweight. Hank Lundy continues his campaign for the big time matches. Orlando Salido’s back, with plans to keep his excellent run of form, (which included two stunning victories over Juan Ma Lopez) going. If I can find it somewhere, there’s also Paulus Moses looking to rebound from his loss to Ricky Burns.
Weekend in Boxing - 27th & 28th July

FRIDAY 27th JULY:

Friday Night Fights: ESPN America/ ESPN2/ESPN3 – 10.00 p.m. ET/ 03.00 GMT.

‘Hammerin’ Hank Lundy (22-1-1) vs. ‘Sugar’ Raymundo Beltran (25-6-0). Lightweights, 10 rounds.

- Hank Lundy’s back on FNF as he continues his campaign to land a big fight. I enjoyed his last bout against Dannie Williams and am interested to see what happens when he gets into the ring with Raymundo Beltran. Beltran’s recently gone the distance against well-regarded and undefeated prospects, Sharif Bogere and Luis Ramos Jr.

Richard Pierson (11-2-0) vs. Farah Ennis (19-1-0). Super middleweights, 10 rounds.

- Ennis is the slightly younger boxer, but conversely has more pro. experience. Neither guy’s been up against noteworthy opposition and this might be one where we’ve got two boxers looking to increase their exposure at the other guy’s expense. Super middleweight is a great division,

SATURDAY 28TH JULY:

Olympic Boxing - BBC (they said that they’ll be showing every venue, but on which BBC channel is the boxing?) / CNBC: 13.30 GMT / 8.30 a.m. ET; 15.00 GMT /10 a.m. ET; 20.30 GMT /3.30 p.m. ET; 22.00 GMT / 5.00 p.m.

- Men’s bantam (56kg) & middle (75kg). Every four years, we get to see the best amateurs in the world compete. Saturday’s action includes the bantam and middle divisions. If history’s any indication, then some of these amateurs will go on to be great pros. This is also the first Olympics that will feature women’s boxing.

BoxNation/Showtime Extreme – 02.00 GMT (Sunday morning) / 9.00 p.m

‘Saint’ George Groves (14-0-0) vs. Francisco ‘Panchito’ Sierra (25-5-1). Super middleweights, 10 rounds.

- The past year’s been an inactive one for the undefeated George Groves. He finally makes his ring return against the credible, but less talented, Francisco Sierra. Groves already has a high profile Wembley Arena bout lined up for September, so hopefully he won’t look past Sierra and has also gotten the ring rust off. Sierra isn’t about to let Groves walk all over him and has already proven that he’s definitely a warrior.

BoxNation/Showtime: - 03.00 GMT / 10.00 p.m ET

Robert ‘the Ghost’ Guerrero (29-1-0) vs. Selcuk Aydin (23-0-0). Welterweights, 12 rounds.

- This is Robert Guerrero’s first match as a welterweight. He’ll be facing the undefeated ‘natural’ welterweight Selcuk Aydin. In spite of that, Guerrero’s the favourite based on his superior C.V. Guerrero’s last loss was in 2005. If Aydin wins, then he improves his credibility quite a bit. Guerrero’s mentioned Floyd Mayweather’s name a lot and if he wins, he might continue to do that.

Shawn ‘Showtime’ Porter (19-0-0) vs. Alfonso Gomez (23-5-2). Welterweights, 10 Rounds.

- Shawn Porter picked the right nickname for this weekend’s televised appearance. He’s the young, undefeated prospect and Gomez is arguably his best competition to date. In 2011, while at light middleweight, Gomez was stopped by Saul Alvarez, but he still has very respectable ring credentials. Should be a good test for the younger boxer.

Mexico Azteca – 10pm ET / 03.00 GMT

Orlando ‘Siri’ Salido (38-11-2) vs. Moises Gutierrez (21-4-0). Super featherweights, 10 rounds.

- Orlando Salido’s won his last four bouts by way of TKO. Two of those stoppages were over previously undefeated, Juan Ma Lopez. Just prior to that, Salido lost a decision to Yuriorkis Gamboa. This Saturday sees him facing a boxer who’s also been fighting well recently. It should certainly be noted that Gutierrez has faced a much lower level of opposition, but he’s won 8 of his last 10 and five of them in a row. Not exactly a stroke of genius to consider Salido to be the clear favourite, but if you can watch this one, why not?

Telefutura – Solo Boxeo - 11 p.m. EST / 04.00 GMT

Ronny Rios (18-0-0) vs. David Rodela (16-6-3). Super featherweights, 10 rounds.

- Rios is the undefeated prospect looking to keep his career. Rodela normally competes at lightweight. Might he be weight drained, to further compound his inferior record, or be the naturally stronger guy?

Julio ‘the Kidd’ Diaz (38-7-0) vs. Henry Aurad (14-4-1), 10 rounds, welterweights.

Windhoek, Namibia. – Not sure if SuperSport will be showing this, or some other local channel.

Cassius ‘Mr. Shy Guy’ Baloyi (37-6-1) vs. Paulus ‘the Hitman’ Moses (28-2-0). Lightweights, 12 rounds.

- Paulus Moses wants to get the train back on the tracks after his tough decision loss to Ricky Burns in March. Cassius Bayoli is a former champion and has lost three of his last 5.

Paulus ‘the Rock’ Ambunda (18-0-0) vs. William Prado (19-1-1). Bantamweights, 12 rounds.

Isaac Hlatshwayo (30-4-1) vs. Bethel Ushona (25-2-1). Welterweights 12 rounds.
mrchitown
I'm looking forward to the Olympic boxing more then the rest
Cshel86
Checkin' in! Cheesey must be in the headlock or somethin'. LOL

Anyhow, nice body work by Ennis in the first...so far. Pierson did nothing but keep his hands up high.
Cshel86
Nothing from Pierson in the 2nd...I have it 2-0 so far...
Cshel86
Nothing from Pierson once again...dude is just in there tonight. He tried a combination at the last 20 seconds, but to no avail...

3-0 Ennis
Cshel86
Wow, that was a pretty good 4th round. I still gave it to Ennis, but Pierson landed 2 big counter right hands.
Cshel86
Shit! Big right hand by Pierson to start the 5th...
Cshel86
I wouldn't feel bad about giving Pierson the 5th as a comparative round, from that big right hand. he never followed up and not much happened...both guys were waiting to counter.
Cshel86
I gave Pierson the 6th for that counter right uppercut, but again...not much happened. Both guys were sitting there waiting to counter each other.
Cshel86
Nothing in the 7th...guess I'll give it to Ennis. The pace picked up a bit, and most of the punches were thrown by Ennis.
Cshel86
The 8th goes to Ennis, he picked up the pace and started going back to the body. Pierson is pissing me off...he's waiting too damn long.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:14 PM) *
Checkin' in! Cheesey must be in the headlock or somethin'. LOL

Anyhow, nice body work by Ennis in the first...so far. Pierson did nothing but keep his hands up high.

Hey man. Ha! Headlocks are a biatch!

I just tuned in and yeah it doesn't look like these guys have been throwing a lot

I stand corrected, as you said, Pierson's the one posing for a photo.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:43 PM) *
Hey man. Ha! Headlocks are a biatch!

I just tuned in and yeah it doesn't look like these guys have been throwing a lot.

Haha!

Unless Pierson is trying to pull a "Bailey", he needs to do something....and with desperation...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 27 2012, 09:18 PM) *
I'm looking forward to the Olympic boxing more then the rest

I've set my alarm!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Haha!

Unless Pierson is trying to pull a "Bailey", he needs to do something....and with desperation...

Yeah. Ennis is making the most of his time on ESPN.
Cheesey1
I'm looking forward to Lundy/Beltran.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:52 PM) *
I'm looking forward to Lundy/Beltran.

Me too! I was laughing at his story about watching his mom beat up some chicks when he was a child. LOL. Cool stuff!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:58 PM) *
Me too! I was laughing at his story about watching his mom beat up some chicks when he was a child. LOL. Cool stuff!

I missed that bit.

I forgot that Beltran's one of Pacquaio's regular sparring partners.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:06 PM) *
I missed that bit.

It was during his last fight.

I think I've seen Beltran on ShoBox...or maybe it was FNF.
Cshel86
Who did Judah fight at 154??? I have no recollection of that...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:07 PM) *
It was during his last fight.

I think I've seen Beltran on ShoBox...or maybe it was FNF.

Cagey and close first round. I missed some of it. From what I saw, Lundy had the slight edge.

Beltran started off the 2nd nicely. Beltran looks relatively bigger.
Cshel86
Im laughing my ass off because of how funny Beltran is built up. Dude has a HUGE ass head. laugh.gif

Im not feeling how Lundy lands, then backs straight up. Hope he doesn't get countered...we've seen it before.

The Ring is total shit...I dont believe in their rankings at all. Fuck 'em...
Cheesey1
Lundy threw more in the latter half of the 2nd. Gave that round to Beltran though for how he started and having moments when Lundy was coming on. Lundy's trying with that uppercut.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:17 PM) *
Im laughing my ass off because of how funny Beltran is built up. Dude has a HUGE ass head. laugh.gif

Im not feeling how Lundy lands, then backs straight up. Hope he doesn't get countered...we've seen it before.

The Ring is total shit...I dont believe in their rankings at all. Fuck 'em...

Yeah.

Damn, they both landed lefts. That body shot by Beltran started it.
Cshel86
WHOA! That "head in the chest" style is nothin' to fuck with! Good round for Beltran, and good luck to Lundy for the remaining seconds left on the clock. Lucky bastard...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:21 PM) *
WHOA! That "head in the chest" style is nothin' to fuck with! Good round for Beltran, and good luck to Lundy for the remaining seconds left on the clock. Lucky bastard...

Yup.

Lundy's caught Beltran with a couple of nice counters this round (that last right hook was pretty crisp), but Beltran's taken them.

Beltran was catching Lundy after Lundy threw his jab. Better movement from Lundy just then when he ducked that left and moved.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:26 PM) *
Yup.

Lundy's caught Beltran with a couple of nice counters this round (that last right hook was pretty crisp), but Beltran's taken them.

Beltran is taking too many jabs...and that doesn't help that cut of his, though its not major. I would like to see him move that block head of his. He let Lundy get back in the fight.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:29 PM) *
Beltran is taking too many jabs...and that doesn't help that cut of his, though its not major. I would like to see him move that block head of his. He let Lundy get back in the fight.

The jab is definitely doing its job in the 6th round. I think that Lundy got himself back in this one. Even though he escaped a K.O, he also rocked Beltran big time.

Lundy also switched stances in the 6th.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:34 PM) *
The jab is definitely doing its job in the 6th round. I think that Lundy got himself back in this one. Even though he escaped a K.O, he also rocked Beltran big time.

Beltran let him back in the fight...bad move, especially since a guy has better skills than you.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:35 PM) *
Beltran let him back in the fight...bad move, especially since a guy has better skills than you.

I gave Beltran Rds 2 to 4 and Lundy the other four rounds.

Lundy just takes the 8th rd. I disagree with the Facebook scoring.

Rd. 9 - Lundy's jab is making water spray from Beltran's head.

Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:38 PM) *
I gave Beltran Rds 2 to 4 and Lundy the other four rounds.

Man Im in here stomping my feet and yelling at Beltran to not only walk him down, but throw more. Feels like Im watching the first fight again. A KO would be nice this evening...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:42 PM) *
Man Im in here stomping my feet and yelling at Beltran to not only walk him down, but throw more. Feels like Im watching the first fight again. A KO would be nice this evening...

Ha!

Beltran isn't throwing recklessly because he knows that Lundy can counter him and that left in rd. 3 let him know that Lundy can hurt him.

Gonna be a solid 10th (Beltran has no choice),

The facebook scoring just showed why fans are to be seen and not heard...

Good stuff by both guys. Both guys were hurt at the end of the 3rd. Close fight, but for me, Lundy definitely won.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:45 PM) *
The facebook scoring just showed why fans are to be seen and not heard...

LMAO! Great way to put it Cheesey!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:51 PM) *
LMAO! Great way to put it Cheesey!

Thanks, but the judges agreed with the retards. Oh well, the professional boxer agreed with me.
Cheesey1
Full day of boxing tomorrow. Nice!!!

Bonus..I'll be headlock free!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:55 PM) *
Thanks, but the judges agreed with the retards. Oh well, the professional boxer agreed with me.

LMAO! I had Lundy edging it, but hey, it's their word against ours.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 28 2012, 12:03 AM) *
LMAO! I had Lundy edging it, but hey, it's their word against ours.

Yeah man. We know more...

Cheesey1
Overslept. Missed the first hour. Damn it.

Watching bantamweights - Nevin (Ireland) vs. (Ceylan) Denmark. Nevin's won the first two rounds. Throwing the jab and the right. Landed some big rights. Nevins' also faster than Ceylan
Cheesey1
So far in bantamweights, countries that have advanced to the round of 16 are Cuba, America, Russia and Ireland.

Abutalipov (Kazakhstan) vs. Slamana (Syria) on now. First round messier than the earlier bout. Abutalipov looking like the better boxer. Takes the first round. Second round active, but hardly any jabbing. Still sort of messy. Slamana landed more in the second, but the man from Kazakhstan probably took the second. (I'll leave the actual point tabulating to the judges).

After the third, Abutalipov wins.

Now it's Thapa (India) vs. Valdez (Mexico).
Cheesey1
Thapa's probably winning the first so far. Landing more. Valdez has improved towards the end. Landed more, but I'd give the first round to Shiva.

Apparently Valdez was awarded the first. Disagree, but whatever.

Valdez trying to be first to the punch now. Valdez would be more successful if he advancing behind the jab, but it looks like he's landing at a nice rate. Thapa's moving and landing, which matters, but Valdez is definitely landing the cleaner punches.

Thapa wins the 2nd. I can see that, although I thought that Valdez actually had a better 2nd rd. than 1st and Thapa's 1st was better than the 2nd.

By a score of 14 points to 9, Valdez wins.

Other early bantamweight action - Campbell (GB) and Yunusov (Tajikistan) both advance on byes.
Cheesey1
Middleweights - Ogogo (GB) vs. Castillo (Dominican Republic)

Rd 1. This is a nice one. Both guys are throwing, using the jab.

2nd round, missed most of it.

3rd round - Castillo waded in and threw several punches. So far Castillo's busier. Can he make up the difference in points?
Cheesey1
Yo, BFF, good morning. Start the day with boxing, end the day with boxing!
Cheesey1
Anthony Ogogo wins it and advances to the round of 16.
Cheesey1
Middleweights continue with O'Neill (Ireland) vs. Akanji (Nigeria).

Rd. 1 - Akanji's much taller and is landing around O'Neill's gloves. Not all cleanly though. Akanji's not using his jab as much as he should. O'Neill covering up nicely. It'll be interesting to see how this round is scored.
- they gave that round to O'Neill. Fair enough, he landed more cleaner punches.

Rd. 2 - O'Neill continues to connect with clean lefts to the body. A left and right to the body from O'Neill. Akanji's hurt, but makes it out of the 2nd. Unless Akanji stops O'Neill, I don't see how he can win this one.

Rd. 3 - Looping left from O'Neill connects. Did it connect cleanly enough for Olympic scoring? O'Neill probably accumulated enough points to maintain his lead. O'Neill wins and there was nothing lucky about it (get it "luck of the Irish"...).
Cheesey1
Hartel (Germany) vs. Collazo (Puerto Rico) - middleweight.

Rd. 1 - Hartel's jab looks more powerful and will probably be scored most of the time that it lands. Collazo's showing the better overall handwork.

Rd. 2 - Collazo using his jab more, but Hartel's jab is clearly stronger. As Teddy is saying, Hartel's using some nice punch selection. Collazo's no slouch, but Hartel's looking solid.

This one will also be interesting to score from an Olympics perspective. Hartel's probably (clearly?) doing more damage, but Collazo's using his superior hand speed.

Hartel gets the nod and advances to the round of 16.
Cheesey1
Kasuto (Namibia) vs. Nazarov (Takjikistan)

Rd. 1 - Hard to score so far. Nice left by Nazarov, which was proceeded by some nice offence from Kasuto.

After 3 rounds, Kasuto wins the decision and advances to the round of 16.
Cheesey1
Middleweights continue with Espinoza (Venezuela) vs. Harcsa (Hungary).

So far Espinoza looks to be winning it. Rd. 3. Harcsa goes to ground, but it's ruled a trip.

Some nice moments from Harcsa. As Teddy Atlas said, Espinoza's more stationery this round. This one was close.

Harcsa wins 16-13.
Cheesey1
Miginitov (Azerbaijan) vs. Hikal (Egypt).

Rd. 1 - Tough one to score in an Olympics stylee. Miginitov was awarded that one.

Rd. 2 - missed it.

Rd. 3 - Miginitov started off strongly. Nice right by Hikal, but Mignitov's got to be ahead.

Miginitov wins and advances to the next round.

That's it for the first session of bantamweight and midlleweight. Next session begins in 3hrs. 30min, with bantamweights.
Cshel86
Is the Boxing part over? I tuned into the Olympics and saw them swimming this morning.
Cheesey1
What's up CShel? I'm loving life. No threat of headlocks for me today! Finally, God was listening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.