Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez/Martinez and Dawson/Ward 24/7 Segments...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
From what I've been reading, there will be a 2-part 24/7 segment for Chavez/Martinez and Ward/Dawson. I cant remember if HBO announced the 24/7 for Julio and Sergio...cant really remember.

I wonder how this helps all 4 of these fighters, being the fact that there's a language barrier for both Chavez and Martinez (Dawson too)...and Dawson and Ward combined, don't really have that persona that jumps out at you?

How will these 24/7s play out?
flazi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 7 2012, 11:41 AM) *
being the fact that there's a language barrier for both Chavez and Martinez (Dawson too)...

lmao thanks i now have a yerba mate stain on my white shirt
mgrover
isn't it better than a Mayweather 24/7 now, or a Pacman 24/7 because we know how they go and there boring as fuck. I don't mind 24/7 being used to introduce fighters to the public more and more. But for fucks sake they shouldn't milk it.
daprofessor

it's going to open with the usual song...duh da dun dun dun dun dun...duh da dun dun dun dun dun... camera pans to ward hitting a speed bag rapidly....strikes it with a cross hook combination...turns to the camera....announcer says....'this is 24/7 ward/dawson.' roll the script...cut to pics of ward in his childhood.

"it began years ago when andre wards dad took him to the gym....little did they know where this road would take them...blah, blah, blah..."

yada yada yada....blase-ay skip-ay...and so on and so forth.....

then they cut to chad dawson in connecticut....

"mean while....across the country in a small gym in an unsuspecting location....blah, blah, blah....chad says something with a lisp....

cut back to scenes of both doing mitt work...neither guy has anything bad to say about the other. both coach's are good guys...but virgil hunter starts to test the limits a little....

barely anything worth covering...everyone will be pissed on the boards and will bitch and moan about how floyd is the best for 24/7... blah, blah, blah....

no one will remember that hbo fired the guy who won all the awards for those amazing documentaries he put together. casual fans won't appreciate the inside look at camps of guys who are the 2 of the best in all of boxing because casual fans don't know their asses from a whole in the ground. they will label both as boring and will totally miss the great knowledge that will be passed on from the simplist things. the classiness of both will go unnoticed because in today's world controversy sells and the public needs to see and hear ppl being total asses....disrespectful....and down right shameful...otherwise, it's boring.

i will thoroughly enjoy it and wish they did at least 2 more episodes so i can get insight on all the brains involved.

chavez/martinez 24/7 will be some of the same except there will be plenty of subtitles....someone will play a practical joke and they'll go on about this how "we do this every camp....we like to have fun and loosen things up"....blah,blah,blah....yada, yada, yada....so on and so forth...
Cshel86
QUOTE (flazi @ Aug 7 2012, 03:22 PM) *
lmao thanks i now have a yerba mate stain on my white shirt

laugh.gif

I cant deal with Dawson's stuttering and horrible selection of simple words needed to complete a sentence...it's frustrating.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 7 2012, 05:06 PM) *
isn't it better than a Mayweather 24/7 now, or a Pacman 24/7 because we know how they go and there boring as fuck. I don't mind 24/7 being used to introduce fighters to the public more and more. But for fucks sake they shouldn't milk it.

Yes it better MG, I couldn't agree more. I like the idea of them introducing new fighters, and I've never been against it...wished they did it more often. Some guys just bomb (fluke) in front of the camera though, especially the "I'm just ready to get in there and fight" type of guys.

I think I find it more offensive and frustrating, when those same guys get mad at the world for paying attention to guys like Mayweather, who they say are "ignorant" and so on, but you give them a chance in front of the cameras, and all they can say is, "I'm just ready to get in there and fight". Some even go as far as saying, "I don't need all of these cameras and stuff", meaning that they just want big names. Sad thing is, if you a big name fighter, but nobody knows who you are, then it never pans ot in their favor.

Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 7 2012, 06:50 PM) *

it's going to open with the usual song...duh da dun dun dun dun dun...duh da dun dun dun dun dun... camera pans to ward hitting a speed bag rapidly....strikes it with a cross hook combination...turns to the camera....announcer says....'this is 24/7 ward/dawson.' roll the script...cut to pics of ward in his childhood.

"it began years ago when andre wards dad took him to the gym....little did they know where this road would take them...blah, blah, blah..."

then they cut to chad dawson in connecticut....

"mean while....across the country in a small gym in an unsuspecting location....blah, blah, blah....chad says something with a lisp....

cut back to scenes of both doing mitt work...neither guy has anything bad to say about the other. both coach's are good guys...but virgil hunter starts to test the limits a little....

barely anything worth covering...everyone will be pissed on the boards and will bitch and moan about how floyd is the best for 24/7... blah, blah, blah....

no one will remember that hbo fired the guy who won all the awards for those amazing documentaries he put together. casual fans won't appreciate the inside look at camps of guys who are the 2 of the best in all of boxing because casual fans don't know their asses from a whole in the ground. they will label both as boring and will totally miss the great knowledge that will be passed on from the simplist things. the classiness of both will go unnoticed because in today's world controversy sells and the public needs to see and hear ppl being total asses....disrespectful....and down right shameful...otherwise, it's boring.

i will thoroughly enjoy it and wish they did at least 2 more episodes so i can get insight on all the brains involved.

chavez/martinez 24/7 will be some of the same except there will be plenty of subtitles....someone will play a practical joke and they'll go on about this how "we do this every camp....we like to have fun and loosen things up"....blah,blah,blah....yada, yada, yada....so on and so forth...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! This is it, in a nutshell. Gladly, both of these will only be 2 episodes. I feel that they will throw Chavez Sr.'s old, hard-to-look at, disrespectful ass in there and make up for some of Julio's segment. Actually, I think will be better than Sergio's, since we already knows that he helps bullied kids, plays 180 mins of soccer and does a triathlon in the same day.

As for Ward and Dawson's part, that's what concerns me the most. Both guys have already thanked each other enough for the opportunity, though Ward has the most to lose in the situation. Hopefully, Chad's homotions will bring a bit of fire to the segment, but other than that, I don't see much coming from it.
checkleft
I actually enjoy hearing ward talk boxing. Hes very intelligent, and Martinez seems like a very genuine dude but like you said that doesn't sell.

If were lucky though we might see chavez sr sniffing a line with members of the Mexican mafia while Jr is downing a whole rack of ribs.

mrchitown
I'm looking forward to the new blood being shown on 24/7 but Chad's voice and just the way he talks is annoying. They should give Ward 27mins and give the last 3mins to Chad lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 7 2012, 09:04 PM) *
we might see chavez sr sniffing a line with members of the Mexican mafia

With the shape that Sr.'s nose is in...I'm sure he can Charlie Sheen some coke with no troubles...
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 7 2012, 11:55 PM) *
With the shape that Sr.'s nose is in...I'm sure he can Charlie Sheen some coke with no troubles...

Let's hope he doesn't relapse lol
Jovi
I'm looking forward to both, Dawson/Ward especially. I don't want Dawson to start acting up on camera, i just want them to be real. Ward is an Olympic gold medalist and when i saw the special's on ward before it really got me to respect him after i seen the fights too.. This show will really show their characters, and i cant wait for it.

Chavez is already a mexican star trying to come in and build off his father's legacy, Martinez is just the new bad man in town, the whole idea he walked in a boxing gym at 20 and all that. They seem to be talking a lot of shit to each other too which is always entertaining for tv. just going to have to be reading subtitles for this one. I think this one is only going to be the 3 episode special though.
Cshel86
Good stuff Jovi!

I forgot how much shit Chavez and Martinez have been talking over the past month...so the subtitles should be interesting! I still dont see the point of a Dawson/Ward fight, other than entertainment and bragging rights.

I guess bragging rights is the sole purpose here. If Ward wins, then he'll just be beating a possibly drained Dawson (whether Chad admits it or not), and if Dawson wins, then he'll just be beating a slightly smaller Ward...though Andre did fight at 175 in the Oympics and the amateurs.

Anyhow, am I the only one that thinks this shit should've been on Showtime, rather than HBO. Dawson needs this fight more than Ward, so why couldn't it be on Ward's home network? I'm already having a hard time getting my ears adjusted to hearing Jim Lampley and Emmanuel Steward call this fight, knowing little to nothing about Ward as a big fighter on Showtime.

Im sure they'd be more than happy to hug the nuts of those fairies (Donaire, Khan, Pacquiao, and few others) who fight on their network, rather than a crafty fighter in Ward, from Showtime.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 7 2012, 06:52 PM) *
HAHAHAHAHA!!! This is it, in a nutshell. Gladly, both of these will only be 2 episodes. I feel that they will throw Chavez Sr.'s old, hard-to-look at, disrespectful ass in there and make up for some of Julio's segment. Actually, I think will be better than Sergio's, since we already knows that he helps bullied kids, plays 180 mins of soccer and does a triathlon in the same day.

As for Ward and Dawson's part, that's what concerns me the most. Both guys have already thanked each other enough for the opportunity, though Ward has the most to lose in the situation. Hopefully, Chad's homotions will bring a bit of fire to the segment, but other than that, I don't see much coming from it.

chavez sr is definitely the wild card and he will talk shit. i'm looking forward to it. laugh.gif

i get the feeling sergio is fired up and will unleash some verbal assault at some point...especially with the ol' man prodding him. should be interesting.

ward is not bhop so he's not going to question dawson's heart....he ain't talking no prison b.s. and chad is going to appear very docile. he's not really a man of very many words. expect those segments to be very tamed.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 8 2012, 02:31 PM) *
chavez sr is definitely the wild card and he will talk shit. i'm looking forward to it. laugh.gif

i get the feeling sergio is fired up and will unleash some verbal assault at some point...especially with the ol' man prodding him. should be interesting.

ward is not bhop so he's not going to question dawson's heart....he ain't talking no prison b.s. and chad is going to appear very docile. he's not really a man of very many words. expect those segments to be very tamed.

I cant stand Chavez Sr., but I must admit that his trash talk makes a difference. To me, he just never seem to give guys credit for the shit that he used to do (boxing). Not only that, but he looked so good winning, that he absolutely fuckin' sucked at losing...maybe because he didn't know when to hang 'em up.

Sergio has had words for Jr. for over a year now, so he better not pump the brakes for 24/7. I'm happy for obvious reasons, that Dawson isn't a man of many words...
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 8 2012, 06:32 PM) *
I cant stand Chavez Sr., but I must admit that his trash talk makes a difference. To me, he just never seem to give guys credit for the shit that he used to do (boxing). Not only that, but he looked so good winning, that he absolutely fuckin' sucked at losing...maybe because he didn't know when to hang 'em up.

Sergio has had words for Jr. for over a year now, so he better not pump the brakes for 24/7. I'm happy for obvious reasons, that Dawson isn't a man of many words...

I wouldn't worry about Martinez toning it down, I read an article on boxingscene today where he said he'd do "damage" to Chavez jr. It should be some good back and forth trash talk leading up to the fight
checkleft
Found a very interesting article on Martinez on the ny times today. Good insight

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sports/s...?pagewanted=all
Franchize
I think the 24/7 for Ward/Dawson will be boring because they are pretty much str8 forward family guys. I think the actual fight is gonna be a barn burner though. "Can't Wait"
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 8 2012, 11:12 PM) *
Found a very interesting article on Martinez on the ny times today. Good insight

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sports/s...?pagewanted=all

great piece. i had no idea he was paid outside of boxing. that says a lot about the guy! i've always been a fan. he's a class act...but he's going to be against it when he faces chavez jr. i'm calling jr by late round stoppage...but i could see martinez winning too. either way...i know it's going to be a war.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 9 2012, 11:30 AM) *
I think the 24/7 for Ward/Dawson will be boring because they are pretty much str8 forward family guys. I think the actual fight is gonna be a barn burner though. "Can't Wait"

i get the feeling there's going to be a lot of posturing and feinting before the actual fight breaks out...if it breaks out at all. this to me is boxing on it's highest levels...and like george foreman used to say...it's like jazz...the better it gets, the less ppl like it. fortunately for me, a die-hard/purist....i'm going to thoroughly enjoy this one.
Cshel86
Not sure if this is the proper thread to make this announcement, but my Chavez/Martinez tickets came in the mail today daaaawg!!! <Tommy from Martin voice>

Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 9 2012, 04:21 PM) *
i get the feeling there's going to be a lot of posturing and feinting before the actual fight breaks out...if it breaks out at all. this to me is boxing on it's highest levels...and like george foreman used to say...it's like jazz...the better it gets, the less ppl like it. fortunately for me, a die-hard/purist....i'm going to thoroughly enjoy this one.

I agree. Sure I live to see a good, all out brawl every once in a while. That said, I enjoy the meeting of the minds fights also. Fights where you can almost feel the fighters thinking. Cotto vs Mayweather, while it was entertaining, was very much like that. The ebb and flow came purely off of each fighter making adjustments to one another. That usually doesn't happen anymore because fighters dn't have the boxing IQ they used to. The adjustments they make and their next move comes strictly from what their trainer tells them to do between rounds. As you and I know, you don't always get the next round to adjust. You may be going to your corner to sit and your trainer might be hugging you head saying "it's ok" while a ring doctor has 2 fingers in your face, asking you if you know where you are. I think Dawson and Ward have the mental capacity and ring savvy to make this super entertaining for purist like yourself. I'm sure I'll be very into it also. I love the sweet science behind boxing but I'm too modest to call myself a purist quite yet lol.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 10 2012, 09:41 AM) *
I agree. Sure I live to see a good, all out brawl every once in a while. That said, I enjoy the meeting of the minds fights also. Fights where you can almost feel the fighters thinking. Cotto vs Mayweather, while it was entertaining, was very much like that. The ebb and flow came purely off of each fighter making adjustments to one another. That usually doesn't happen anymore because fighters dn't have the boxing IQ they used to. The adjustments they make and their next move comes strictly from what their trainer tells them to do between rounds. As you and I know, you don't always get the next round to adjust. You may be going to your corner to sit and your trainer might be hugging you head saying "it's ok" while a ring doctor has 2 fingers in your face, asking you if you know where you are. I think Dawson and Ward have the mental capacity and ring savvy to make this super entertaining for purist like yourself. I'm sure I'll be very into it also. I love the sweet science behind boxing but I'm too modest to call myself a purist quite yet lol.

laugh.gif i was labeled a purist by many of my boxing friends. it's a badge i wear with honor. smile.gif u don't have to call yourself a purist...i'll do it for u!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.