Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where did they go
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Run and Gun Game Calls
For those of us old enough to remember, at one time the Olympic Games was where the general public was introduced to many of the future professional champions they would follow. I remember the anxiety when an American fighter went against a Cuban, or Soviet top ranked olympian. It dripped nationalism, the cold war was indeed played out right in front of our eyes. Then as we took all of this for granted, our tribe, our warriors, our champions fighting against the evil empires of the world ( it just felt that way ya know?), it is suddenly gone. Did it happen overnight? No I dont think so, but it sure does feel like it. It was the highlight of the Olympics. We often worry about the future of American Boxing on here, and I have to be honest, after looking at this crop of Olympians.....We should.

Recognise anyone?
checkleft
Wouldn't you run away to different sports? The US sucks at keeping track of their Olympic boxers and they suck even more at getting their training staff together. They treat the team like a joke now
mrchitown
I didn't get into Olympic boxing until 96, I was stuck on the dream team in 92 lol. I think there are many contributing factors to why the landscape looks the way it does. Networks don't show amateur boxing anymore, the coverage is horrendous.

This Olympic year is actually the first time I've seen such exetnesive coverage of Olympic boxing in quite some time. It's unfortunate that the USA men's team didnt medal and quite frankly it's embarrassing. There were many fights that I felt the Americans got the short end of the stick, there have been controversial decisions all over these boxing Olympics. I blame AIBa and there bullshit for that

And as far as kids running to different sports, I think that's more the risk-reward factor. Who wants to get punched in their face for cash when you can go pick up a basketball and stand in the corner and shoot 3's and be over paid. These kids today for the most part, I don't think embody the mental makeup to succeed in boxing. They'd much rather play football or basketball, not saying those sports don't require mental toughness but anybody who's trained or competed in boxing knows it takes ultimate focus.

The amateur system today doesn't reflect how the fighters would be in the pros, I thi the American team will produce so e pretty good fighters.I think Diaz, Ramirez, Spence jr are going to win titles at the pro level. I used to think Rau'shee was going to be a force to be reckoned with when he turned pro but Atlas vrout ip a good point about him, he has mental lapses at times and doesn't fight the fight the way he should. He's a physical fighter who more times then not doesn't fight physical.a fighter tom loom out for is Jesse Hart, he could've went to the olympics but turned pro, TR signed him.

The amateur and Olympic system as a whole doesn't fit our fighters. Once they do away with head gear and the point system, which thankfully is after these games, I think we'll see USA dominance again
mgrover
i watch a few shows in the UK but its mostly grass root level stuff and some casual seniors that are old mates, i never really cared for the olympics let alone the boxing, but probably because the head coach treated me like shit years back and i never looked at the england team the same again, but we do have some decent amatuers like jack bateson and connor loftus, there still young about 17 i think, but they already have those important fundementals
Cshel86
The whole "olympic pride" just isn't there anymore, hands down. It's sad, and the fighters seem to just be happy to be there. as evidenced by the way some of them fought. Some kept the pressure early on and brought the fight to their opponent, then they suddenly got comfortable and let the fight drift away...knowing how fickle the scoring system is.

Anyhow, the whole "olympic pride" just sticks with me for some reason....it's just that missing element.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 8 2012, 08:52 AM) *
The whole "olympic pride" just isn't there anymore, hands down. It's sad, and the fighters seem to just be happy to be there. as evidenced by the way some of them fought. Some kept the pressure early on and brought the fight to their opponent, then they suddenly got comfortable and let the fight drift away...knowing how fickle the scoring system is.

Anyhow, the whole "olympic pride" just sticks with me for some reason....it's just that missing element.

I think it has a lot to do with the coaches and trainers. I mean look at the US basketball program, they don't run no mess. They want the absolute best with the right attitudes too. People say the US didn't have any centers because of injury, that's BS. Bynum didn't get invited because of his attitude and cousins got invited but got sent home for his antics.

If they surrounded the athletes with the right staff that would hold them accountable and send their asses packing if the pulled some shit instead of putting together a rinky dink one weeks before competition I think the program and the athletes would be faring much better.

And thought the scoring system is a problem its also the fighters faults, just like with basketball the international game is different then the pros and you have to adjust. The same thing applies to Olympic boxing amateur and pros, you would think that these boxers who train for years trying to make the Olympics would adjust their game as well so that they can get used to Olympic style boxing.

But chels I agree with the whole pride thing. It seems like its a lost value, I mean did you hear about those athletes that defected from Cameroon while in London? You go representing you country on the biggest stage of all and you take advantage and defect? Lol that had me going
daprofessor
when i was a kid i remember there being more than one organization for amateur boxing in the u.s. i believe there was the a.b.a or a.b.f? i have spoken to a lot of old timers on this subject and they also talked about being able to have 'smokers.' those were fights where kids were allowed to fight without it going into the record books. it was great because u could really develop a kid by keeping him very active. i partipated in several of those as a kid and i learned plenty. there are very few places that do it like that today. participating in smokers is against the rules for u.s.a boxing. if they find out an athlete or coach has participated they can ban or suspend them from participating in tournaments. it's all set up to "protect" the boxers...and i get it.

the other thing that has changed is that the coaches aren't as knowledgeable as they used to be. very few serve apprenticeships. very few have actual boxing experience. a lot of boxing knowledge has gone to the grave with some of the old school coaches. it's unfortunate...but i believe things like youtube and old school fight footage has really helped a lot of trainers/boxers come a long way.

something to consider about olympic boxing vs amateur boxing in the u.s. :

it's really 2 different things. here in the u.s. u can go to any national tournament and see glaring differences in the way things are viewed. the u.s. national championship is the closest thing to olympic boxing. the refs and judges score very similarly to the olympics...but all the other tournaments do not. the golden gloves, the p.a.l's...etc..etc. at those tournaments those kids fight more like professionals and tend to brawl and mix it up more than box. so when our 'best' are getting to the top...the systems they've operated in are not the same as the olympics. therefore, when they get there....they're lost. they don't understand. the months they spend in camp with olympic coaches that do not know them very well is not enough time for them to gel. the cookie cutter approach is not working.

one simple look at the worlds best...and u'll see the difference. cuba and the former soviet bloc adjusted to the new scoring system and they continued to win medals. the u.s. did not and as a result...we haven't won shit. i've spoken with top coaches in the u.s who are all very dismissive of the scoring system and i think that attitude has been unfortunate for our athletes.

improvise/adapt/overcome

all of this is going to change. the '16 olympics will see the scoring system change and boxers will not be wearing headgears.
Franchize
I think they should start opening up academies on a larger scale and start using famous faces to promote it. Msot casual fans don't even know guys like Floyd or Roy fought for our country. Get them out there doing commercials and stuff. In today's world, where everything happens within seconds, you need that visual stimulation. Nobody is going to get their face smashed in so they can be like Errol Spence Jr. They will to be like Floyd Mayweather Jr though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.