Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who would you like to see Cotto fight in december?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkleft
So cotto has msg saved by golden boy for December but no opponent yet, who would you guys like to see him in there with?

Me, I have two hypotheticals. Molina if he wins Friday could find himself in there or it could be the winner of alvarez and lopez.
You could also put kirkland in the mix and angulo would definitely get the Mexican PC rivalry going and he does share a lot of characteristics of margarito except he probably hits harder.

I know I'm forgetting people that could be in the mix so what are your thoughts?
BigFightFan
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 15 2012, 06:28 PM) *
So cotto has msg saved by golden boy for December but no opponent yet, who would you guys like to see him in there with?

Me, I have two hypotheticals. Molina if he wins Friday could find himself in there or it could be the winner of alvarez and lopez.
You could also put kirkland in the mix and angulo would definitely get the Mexican PC rivalry going and he does share a lot of characteristics of margarito except he probably hits harder.

I know I'm forgetting people that could be in the mix so what are your thoughts?

I think it will be either k9 or Kirkland who will get the assignment. I think Cotto will stop Kirkland in 10 and maybe stop Bundrage earlier because of his stamina
checkleft
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Aug 15 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I think it will be either k9 or Kirkland who will get the assignment. I think Cotto will stop Kirkland in 10 and maybe stop Bundrage earlier because of his stamina

Good post. I think he might be able to finish kirkland faster, but I still believe its a risky fight because of kirklands punching power. But hes just such a sucker for the straight and one of cottos best punches is his straight
mgrover
joshuaaaaaa the craaabbb clotteyyyyyy
BigFightFan
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 15 2012, 08:08 PM) *
joshuaaaaaa the craaabbb clotteyyyyyy

First we will have to put out an APB to find Clottey
checkleft
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Aug 15 2012, 08:40 PM) *
First we will have to put out an APB to find Clottey

Why would anyone want to find clottey lol
Cshel86
Good stuff Check!

Honestly, Molina would be a good choice for the winner of Alvarez/Lopez. I dont think he would be a good fit for Miguel. Had Kirkland done something impressive ala beat Molina, then I would consider him. Im not saying that beating Molina would've put James up there for a Cotto fight, but the point was for him to look good in his last fight.

Angulo lost his chance after getting clobbered by Kirkland, so no for him. I would've been great to see the winner of Canelo/Williams face Cotto in Dec., but we know what happened with that. Ho

At this point, Canelo would be the only person that could make Cotto some money. I wonder how GBP will work this out, because it's too damn soon to say that the Lopez/Alvarez winner will face Cotto in Dec. If that announcement is made, and Lopez happens to beat Canelo, then he will be definitely be looking for his shot against Miguel (payday). I dont see this being a huge payday for Miguel, unless Lopez shocks the world and knocks out Canelo.

Maybe it's possible that GBP will find an opponent for Miguel by shopping with DiBella or Shaw. Bob Arum may still be a bit butthurt by Cotto not resigning, so we can probably rule out a TR opponent. We shall see...
checkleft
K9 did just win a fight and gbp did say that angulo would be fighting before the year ends but who knows if it will be cotto because of angulos visa issues

Almost forgot about vanes and Lara but I think they are fighting each other, correct me if I'm wrong.
mgrover
well cotto seemed to get roughed up by clottey in there first fight, a fight at 154 could be great, or it could be terrible due to nobody knowing clottey, and if they do all they remember is the pacman fight, and the lay off could take its toll since he was a fairly athletic fighter.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 15 2012, 09:14 PM) *
K9 did just win a fight and gbp did say that angulo would be fighting before the year ends but who knows if it will be cotto because of angulos visa issues

Almost forgot about vanes and Lara but I think they are fighting each other, correct me if I'm wrong.

If anything, Angulo would get a K-9 fight. I know it sucks for him to get a title shot after being KO'd by Kirkland last year, but K-9 really doesn't deserve a big fight. If he's smart, then he'd take an Angulo fight in Mexico, but knowing his delusional ass, he will call himself "sitting out" for a big money fight, while acting like that IBF title means something. laugh.gif See where it got him thus far, nothing more than a Spinks rematch. That's evidence enough...

Im not sure about that Vanes/Lara fight, that is a TR/GBP thing. Vanes said that he signed a contract, but I dont think it holds much weight if the other party hasn't signed. Now that I think about it, if a TR fighter (Vanes) has signed it, then 90% of the teeth-pulling has been, so that fight may just happen.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 15 2012, 09:23 PM) *
well cotto seemed to get roughed up by clottey in there first fight, a fight at 154 could be great, or it could be terrible due to nobody knowing clottey, and if they do all they remember is the pacman fight, and the lay off could take its toll since he was a fairly athletic fighter.

I dont see it being such a bad fight, but Clottey has nothing to lose, so Miguel may want to think twice. I haven't seen the first fight in a while, but I remember watching it, and Cotto had a rough night.

Clottey has had only 1 fight since the Pac fight (Calvin Green on the Chavez/Rubio untelevised card), but I still think he gives Cotto a rough night. If they promote this fight well, then it wont be such a huge step backwards. Im wishing that Clottey would have done something notable this year, to even be mentioned for a Cotto rematch, but something's telling me that its too late.
checkleft
After the whole "arum gave me "incentives" to make pac look good" debacle id be happy never seeing him fight again.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 15 2012, 09:47 PM) *
After the whole "arum gave me "incentives" to make pac look good" debacle id be happy never seeing him fight again.

I didn't know he made that comment and I'm sure Bob is punishing his ass by sitting him on the sidelines. Seriously though Clottey could be a good test for fighters like Alvarez/Lara/Kirkland/k-9 etc... I would love to see him back in the ring more often
mrwigi
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 15 2012, 08:58 PM) *
Why would anyone want to find clottey lol

HAHA.....+1
mrwigi
I think it would have been good to see him in there with Martinez who says he can make 154. I think we can almost all agree that after the Floyd fight, Cotto proved he is not a shot fighter, and that he is smarter than your average bear. Kirkland is one of those high risk, low reward kind of fights so im not sure about that. Hell, he might as well fight K9. At least he can get a belt outta that.
Franchize
I think it should be Martinez. I think it would be a great fight too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Victor Ortiz though. Seems like a quality tune-up to a Canelo fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 16 2012, 09:54 AM) *
I think it should be Martinez. I think it would be a great fight too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Victor Ortiz though. Seems like a quality tune-up to a Canelo fight.

Yeah, a Martinez fight wouldn't be bad. It's not like he wont need another payday after Chavez wipes the floor with him. laugh.gif As for an Ortiz fight, it may still have a bit of luster to it, despite Victor losing to Lopez. The fact that he was even considering moving up to 54 for a Canelo fight, adds more reality to a Cotto fight happening.
BoxingStill#1
I have reserve for all the fighters mentioned above so idk care who it is...

As long as its not at 160lbs
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 16 2012, 11:53 AM) *
I have reserve for all the fighters mentioned above so idk care who it is...

As long as its not at 160lbs

For a while I was suspecting pirog would be it after he got "injured" because I heard some rumors and cotto has interest in winning a title at 160 and that would probably be his easiest route
leonthegee
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 15 2012, 06:43 PM) *
If anything, Angulo would get a K-9 fight. I know it sucks for him to get a title shot after being KO'd by Kirkland last year, but K-9 really doesn't deserve a big fight. If he's smart, then he'd take an Angulo fight in Mexico, but knowing his delusional ass, he will call himself "sitting out" for a big money fight, while acting like that IBF title means something. laugh.gif See where it got him thus far, nothing more than a Spinks rematch. That's evidence enough...

Im not sure about that Vanes/Lara fight, that is a TR/GBP thing. Vanes said that he signed a contract, but I dont think it holds much weight if the other party hasn't signed. Now that I think about it, if a TR fighter (Vanes) has signed it, then 90% of the teeth-pulling has been, so that fight may just happen.

I dont see it being such a bad fight, but Clottey has nothing to lose, so Miguel may want to think twice. I haven't seen the first fight in a while, but I remember watching it, and Cotto had a rough night.

Clottey has had only 1 fight since the Pac fight (Calvin Green on the Chavez/Rubio untelevised card), but I still think he gives Cotto a rough night. If they promote this fight well, then it wont be such a huge step backwards. Im wishing that Clottey would have done something notable this year, to even be mentioned for a Cotto rematch, but something's telling me that its too late.

I disagree I think K9 does deserve a shot at Cotto. Hes 39 and hes paid his dues. If anything to get that IBF title from around his waist. Thats the only value chip he has and he clinches it they way I clinch my dick when im lonely. I want to see more unifications in the weight classes. If Floyd vacates the WBA there could be 2 belts up for grabs. Thats a start.
daprofessor
with the creation of tmt and cotto choosing to remain a free agent..i think it's safe to say cotto/floyd 2 won't be happening. neither will cotto/pac for obvious reasons.

i'd welcome matches with k-9 and molina. kirkland and angulo eh...

martinez at 154, if he can get by chavez ...or maybe canelo. those are all good fights. cotto has paid his dues and deserves whatever fight he chooses.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 15 2012, 09:47 PM) *

who made this comment?
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 16 2012, 03:35 PM) *
who made this comment?

clottey
xxxxxx
It really just depends on what Cotto is looking for. Is he looking for another superfight or just a regular hbo fight to stay active before next year. He's got a lot of options for either road he wants to take. I read that K-9 could be an option or maybe even Kirkland. If he wants to go big again he's got Alvarez,Pacman or Mayweather. Its hard to see him against a Martinez or Chavez, but those are possibilities either. He's got numerous options and is in a great place in his career.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Aug 16 2012, 05:29 PM) *
clottey

i thought his official excuse was that he had 'diarhea' (ch-ch)

laugh.gif
Cshel86
Im actually feeling like Alvarez is going to break his neck to get this fight. GBP may be smart enough not to announce the winner of Alvarez/Lopez getting a shot at Miguel in November, which is enough time to get prepared.

Even if Ortiz had beat Lopez back in June and fought Alvarez in Sept., getting ready for a Cotto fight in December would've been too much for him, or anybody...that's a pretty tough schedule for the last 6 months of the year.

I still think the winner of Alvarez/Lopez will get it...GBP just doesn't want to speak up too quick and fuck themselves....
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 16 2012, 09:02 PM) *
Im actually feeling like Alvarez is going to break his neck to get this fight. GBP may be smart enough not to announce the winner of Alvarez/Lopez getting a shot at Miguel in November, which is enough time to get prepared.

Even if Ortiz had beat Lopez back in June and fought Alvarez in Sept., getting ready for a Cotto fight in December would've been too much for him, or anybody...that's a pretty tough schedule for the last 6 months of the year.

I still think the winner of Alvarez/Lopez will get it...GBP just doesn't want to speak up too quick and fuck themselves....

u would think they would have learned their lesson by now...but i wouldn't be shocked if the cat gets out the bag again. laugh.gif

Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 16 2012, 09:07 PM) *
u would think they would have learned their lesson by now...but i wouldn't be shocked if the cat gets out the bag again. laugh.gif

Maybe I just let it out. Oscar and Richard have always been straight up-and-down guys...there's no method to their madness. Too damn predictable...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 16 2012, 04:35 PM) *
with the creation of tmt and cotto choosing to remain a free agent..i think it's safe to say cotto/floyd 2 won't be happening. neither will cotto/pac for obvious reasons.

i'd welcome matches with k-9 and molina. kirkland and angulo eh...

martinez at 154, if he can get by chavez ...or maybe canelo. those are all good fights. cotto has paid his dues and deserves whatever fight he chooses.

Sig bet says 50 gets the Floyed/ Pac fight done!!....lmao..

I would like to see him in there with kirkland.. winnable for both guys and borderline crossroads ..
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 17 2012, 07:46 AM) *
Sig bet says 50 gets the Floyed/ Pac fight done!!....lmao..

I would like to see him in there with kirkland.. winnable for both guys and borderline crossroads ..

at this point i have zero interest in floyd/pac. it lost all of it's appeal after jmm schooled pac. i'm not interested enough in it to make a sig bet on it.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 16 2012, 08:02 PM) *

december
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Aug 17 2012, 11:11 PM) *
december

laugh.gif

Shut up Hotsauce! My mistake. Whats up man?
neophyte7
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 16 2012, 02:23 PM) *
For a while I was suspecting pirog would be it after he got "injured" because I heard some rumors and cotto has interest in winning a title at 160 and that would probably be his easiest route

... Pirog would be handful for Cotto at 160.... not an easy night at all.. Tall.. rangy... all wrong for Cotto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.