Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Kirkland fires team???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Problems coming from the Kirkland camp, alotta things to be ironed out considering the accusation being thrown in from this interview from theboxingvoice.com radio show... Check it out.

http://thaboxingvoice.com/?p=2958

"When I fought Carlos Molina I was offered two black pills in the fight. They said 'Kirkland, take these 2 black pills.' I took them because you're thinking that your coach and your manager got your best interests at heart. As soon as I took those pills, maybe 10 minutes into preparing for that fight, I felt like I was high as a kite...I was so delirious and so messed up that I couldn't even put forth any effort into pressing because my timing was off, my equilibrium was off, my movement is off pace. I couldn't perform like I needed to perform...After all that hard work of pressing and pressing I either sweat that stuff out or it worked through my system. Then, I was able to punch the way I can punch and boom, I dropped him."

"I don't know if everybody knows, but I fired everybody in my team just recently," Kirkland said. Aside from the drugging accusations, the fighter claimed that his people just didn't seem to have his best interests at heart. Kirkland did leave the door open to working with trainer Ann Wolfe, though, but said that he wouldn't sign any binding contract with her.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Aug 18 2012, 10:12 PM) *
Problems coming from the Kirkland camp, alotta things to be ironed out considering the accusation being thrown in from this interview from theboxingvoice.com radio show... Check it out.

http://thaboxingvoice.com/?p=2958

"When I fought Carlos Molina I was offered two black pills in the fight. They said 'Kirkland, take these 2 black pills.' I took them because you're thinking that your coach and your manager got your best interests at heart. As soon as I took those pills, maybe 10 minutes into preparing for that fight, I felt like I was high as a kite...I was so delirious and so messed up that I couldn't even put forth any effort into pressing because my timing was off, my equilibrium was off, my movement is off pace. I couldn't perform like I needed to perform...After all that hard work of pressing and pressing I either sweat that stuff out or it worked through my system. Then, I was able to punch the way I can punch and boom, I dropped him."

"I don't know if everybody knows, but I fired everybody in my team just recently," Kirkland said. Aside from the drugging accusations, the fighter claimed that his people just didn't seem to have his best interests at heart. Kirkland did leave the door open to working with trainer Ann Wolfe, though, but said that he wouldn't sign any binding contract with her.

Wow. Interesting stuff. If it's true, then how many other trainers and managers give their fighters what seem to be illegal substances?
mrchitown
I wonder why he hasn't brought this up sooner. Nonetheless if his allegations are true then this is yet another black eye for boxing this year
checkleft
Sounds like an excuse and I heard something similar when he fired his last trainer about "not having his best interests". If I remember right Ann Wolfe wouldn't take her back because of his legal problems and not being clean, he practically had to beg to get her back.. Hmmm I wonder if chavez Jr took those same black pills before he fought molina too? (Sarcasm)
BigFightFan
You never know! This could be true, I remember George Forman said he was giving a weird tasting water bottle to drink before the fight with Ali that he thought was some type of substance. I understand why someone would try to weaken George in a big fight against Ali, but Kirkland vs Molina baffles me.

Kirkland's next move will be getting away from Golden Boy promotions since they have been trying to throw him to the wolves( Angulo, Alvarez) for peanuts. TMT may be interested in signing him, but Top Rank would be a better fit for Kirkland because TR is good at building a fighter.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Aug 19 2012, 07:25 AM) *
You never know! This could be true, I remember George Forman said he was giving a weird tasting water bottle to drink before the fight with Ali that he thought was some type of substance. I understand why someone would try to weaken George in a big fight against Ali, but Kirkland vs Molina baffles me.

Kirkland's next move will be getting away from Golden Boy promotions since they have been trying to throw him to the wolves( Angulo, Alvarez) for peanuts. TMT may be interested in signing him, but Top Rank would be a better fit for Kirkland because TR is good at building a fighter.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said about TR 'building a fighter,' but from what I've seen, the way they do that is to a large degree, protecting a fighter.
Jovi
wow, respect. He needs to get with the money team smile.gif
Cshel86
Man these fighters' teams are on more bullshit than these promoters no2.gif Not sure how much of this story is 110% truth, but damn, some of it has to hold some weight. No matter what the situation is...hurt or not, illegal substance or not, Molina worked his ass, and that's a hard truth that he can't get around.
daprofessor
sad part of it all....no one but anne wolf will get the best out of him.
Cshel86
He just put GBP out there, and its the truth, they're shitting on him big time. Like he said, "they're fighting this guy (Canelo) every 2 months, as soon as he's done with a fight, they have him ready for another fight. Then they sit me out for 4-5 months, and try to stick me in there with him". (paraphrasing)

He basically validated the point of Golden Boy trying to cash him out, even in the Angulo fight. Wow, and to think that he didn't have any sparring time for the Angulo fight. Dude was really hurt by this GBP situation, and from my guess, if your ass aint Hispanic or a black fighter whose a million dollar powerhouse (FMJ), then they dont give a fuck about you.

Cant help but to feel bad for the guy and his situation...he's too damn honest and loyal, in a business full of backstabbing, loathsome, fucks.Surely things will come together for him, and to think that GBP actually cared about their fighters. Pfff...

BTW, these radio hosts sounds like retards, I just couldn't go on without mentioning that. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 19 2012, 05:11 PM) *
He just put GBP out there, and its the truth, they're shitting on him big time. Like he said, "they're fighting this guy (Canelo) every 2 months, as soon as he's done with a fight, they have him ready for another fight. Then they sit me out for 4-5 months, and try to stick me in there with him". (paraphrasing)

He basically validated the point of Golden Boy trying to cash him out, even in the Angulo fight. Wow, and to think that he didn't have any sparring time for the Angulo fight. Dude was really hurt by this GBP situation, and from my guess, if your ass aint Hispanic or a black fighter whose a million dollar powerhouse (FMJ), then they dont give a fuck about you.

Cant help but to feel bad for the guy and his situation...he's too damn honest and loyal, in a business full of backstabbing, loathsome, fucks.Surely things will come together for him, and to think that GBP actually cared about their fighters. Pfff...

BTW, these radio hosts sounds like retards, I just couldn't go on without mentioning that. laugh.gif

yeah...gbp, much like top rank...is not going to look out for the best interest of black fighters. tmt will take care of that. hopefully 50 and floyd get some good match makers who can help them develop young talent.

i agree on the radio host thing. we should start up our own radio show. smile.gif
pesticid
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 19 2012, 05:11 PM) *

I'll disagree with that. Kirkland was fighting like every 3 weeks it seemed right after he got out of jail. He was always on HBO, why would GBP want him to lose against Molina, it makes no damn sense. As far as Angulo, I don't get it either. It was a toss-up fight, how was GBP sacrificing him to anybody? Next thing I'll hear is that they sacrificed him to Ishira. Kirkland is a felon who's gotten a second chance and his whole team stood behind him, now he's accusing everybody. There are just not that many black fighters that are popular and the two with the biggest ratings (Floyd and Broner) are promoted by...that's right, GBP. How about Bhop and his career after he signed with GBP, it sure skyrocketed and they made him a lot of money. How about Mosley getting fights against Cotto, Margarito and Floyd. I guess they were trying to sacrifice him for Top Rank fighters and Floyd. Common now! It's ok to call out promoters on their bs but let's be real, the few promoters known to promote black fighers - Gary Shaw and Goosen suck at making their fighters popular and Bob Arum just doesn't believe in black fighters since he had Foreman I think. Now Golden Boy, just look what they are doing or Al Hayman is doing with Broner, getting him tomato cans on prime TV and generating crazy numbers. Spending enormous amount of money on the promotion of Floyd' fights. They gave Mosley a lot of fights. Bernard's late career has been nothing short of amazing. The unhappy guys are Winky Wright, Shane Mosley and Kirkland. Winky got a chance against PWill and he got beat up bad. Then he had a chance against Peter Quilin (another black fighter promoted by GBP) he lost again. Nobody wants to see Winky anyway. Mosley is shot and nobody wants to see him fight either and Kirkland, I mean they offered him over a mil for the Canelo fight, Bhop ain`t getting 2.5 mil against Dawson how is Kirkland thinking he is deserving of that money. Unless you`re Cotto, Floyd, Pacquiao, Marques, Alvarez and Jr you ain`t making 2.5.
Tehy also promote Danny Jacobs and they really had no interest in him getting knocked out by Pirog. In other words, GBP has been promoting the most African-American fighters on their cards and they have had great success with them. Nobody else comes even close.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Aug 19 2012, 07:25 AM) *

The problem here is we arent supposed to be building this guy anymore.

In fact, at this point he should be mentioned with nemes like Floyed and Pac and Canelo,... but he is ruining himself and crippling his career imo..

I mean between the jail time, knockout loss, swiching trainers, life or death in recent fights Im starting to wonder why we are still hyping him...

Dont get me wrong, Im a fan of James... Ive spole with Wolf personally about him.. Wolf is as real as they come but she isnt gonna hold his hand... he needs to exhibit himself more...

Doesnt matter with who,... we need to see him in the ring.. H

I use to think he would be the one fighter nobody would want to fight but would have to because the world woould make it happen.. but fans are losing interest.

At this point a year and a half ago or so I dreaded a Cotto fight because I didnt wanna see my mans head laying in the stands... but now I see Cotto beating this shit outta this guy in a good fight..

Lets go James, leave all this drama for the press and promoters... get in there and do your job and kock some heads off
mrchitown
I don't see how GBP has had success with black fighters, just because you sign'em don't mean you made'em. GBP got with B Hop and Sugar Shane after they beat the DOG shit out of ODLH, kinda like when kids fight and the boy who loses wants to be friends afterwards lol. Shane and Bernard's careers "skyrocketed" after they beat Oscar. GBP aint had the success that you try to make it seem with them. And let's not act like Bernard doesn't call his own shots. He been calling his own shots since before he became a partner in GBP. and as far as Kirkland fighting every 3 weeks once he got out of jail, I can agree with that but his whole team supported him? I remember Oscar vouching for him in court but I don't remember shit about no team supporting him.

You say let's be real, okay..Shaw and Goosen even Dibella may have not had the "success" you speak of in terms of getting their fighters the exposure that they should but the Ward's, Dirrell's, etc would beat the breaks off of some of these fighters getting pushed by the big 2 boxing powerhouses. The boxing market has drifted towards hispanic's, which is fine, I;m a hard core fan, I could give two shits what a casual fan or where the market necessarily drifts two. But the african american demographic in boxing has been sorely stepped over. I remember Floyd yrs ago speaking on some of his issues with Arum, he said he had a meeting with Arum about the direction of his career and he wanted to be promoted to the black community and the hip hop demographic, he said Arum told him they don't buy ppv's lol.

the black fighters who GBP have that you speak of...why is it that their all or all except probably 2 or 3 managed by the powerful Al Haymon. Haymon has more power then GBP by his damn self. they may put the fights on but Haymon is pulling those strings. It's a reason that people (especially black fans) are excited about TMT, and one of those reasons is that people are hoping that they promote and properly nurture the careers of black fighters. It's been many articles on the lack of promo and exposure for black fighters in the last 6 months alone. Don't believe me? Go over to eastside boxing and read the article they wrote on how TMT can help the exposure of black fighters.

You are correct that Kirkland doesn't deserve the cash they were going to pay him for a Canelo bout. But there is some truth to what he's saying. When he beat Angulo, they were cashing him out. Angulo was in line for a shot at Canelo, why didn't Canelo fight him then?? Isn't it funny how Canelo was going to fight Kirkland coming off of a fight that he technically was going to lose? I agree that he probably added some shit to his story but he has some truth mixed up in there. And GBP hasn't been successful with promoting black fighters, Haymon has lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 19 2012, 07:23 PM) *
The problem here is we arent supposed to be building this guy anymore.

In fact, at this point he should be mentioned with nemes like Floyed and Pac and Canelo,... but he is ruining himself and crippling his career imo..

I mean between the jail time, knockout loss, swiching trainers, life or death in recent fights Im starting to wonder why we are still hyping him...

Dont get me wrong, Im a fan of James... Ive spole with Wolf personally about him.. Wolf is as real as they come but she isnt gonna hold his hand... he needs to exhibit himself more...

Doesnt matter with who,... we need to see him in the ring.. H

I use to think he would be the one fighter nobody would want to fight but would have to because the world woould make it happen.. but fans are losing interest.

At this point a year and a half ago or so I dreaded a Cotto fight because I didnt wanna see my mans head laying in the stands... but now I see Cotto beating this shit outta this guy in a good fight..

Lets go James, leave all this drama for the press and promoters... get in there and do your job and kock some heads off

The unfortunate part I see for Kirkland is that Wolfe was the perfect fit for him, he's not going to get the same results from another trainer like he got from her. He needs to stop blaming all these different elements on other or other issues when he loses or doesn't look good in fights. Who knows though? He could be telling the truth, I don't think he's outright lying here, but to fire his whole team is a bit harsh in my view
Cshel86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 19 2012, 06:49 PM) *
Kirkland was fighting like every 3 weeks it seemed right after he got out of jail.

Of course he was fighting every 3 weeks after he got out of jail, because he needed money. Money was the chief reason that he fought that many times, but let's be real, who cant fight bums every 3 weeks??? Out the bums (with the exception of Ishida), do you remember any of their names? Didn't think so...

He was always on HBO, why would GBP want him to lose against Molina, it makes no damn sense.

Those bums fight weren't even televised, they just recapped them. As for them cashing him out to Molina, that fight had a huge style difference that wasn't in favor of James. Had he lost to Molina (which was well on the way to happening, before the knockdown), then there's no way he could've asked for more money in his next fight. To think about it, his next fight was more than likely going to be Canelo anyway, so why not expose his flaws against a busy guy like Molina (whether he knocked him out or not), so that people would predict him losing to Canelo and feel that he doesn't deserve the money that he would've asked for?

As far as Angulo, I don't get it either. It was a toss-up fight, how was GBP sacrificing him to anybody?

Yeah it was a toss-up fight, but think about it, Angulo left Gary Shaw on a bad note, and GBP had pretty much promised to do great things with his career, more than likely because of his Mexican heritage, and finding it easy to promote him. When I say "great things with his career", I meant a Canelo fight. GBP was banking on Kirkland being KO'd again, since he went out so easily in the Ishida. Too bad that he was training in Vegas with hell of distractions, and wasn't with Wolfe, and fighting at MW. Dude was waaaay out of shape, but little did they know, James was going to be in tip-top shape for the Angulo fight, and we all know how it ended...

Next thing I'll hear is that they sacrificed him to Ishira.

It's Ishida, and if anything, Ishida was supposed to be James' sacrifice, because we all know that he wasn't supposed to lose that fight.

Kirkland is a felon who's gotten a second chance and his whole team stood behind him, now he's accusing everybody.

Comments like this, do nothing to help your post, and its the same reason that James feels that he hasn't got a fair shot a big fight. Hell, it's not like he lost the Molina fight. He was losing, but almost scored a KO, but hell, we will never know how that fight would've panned out. NOW, had he fired his whole team after the Ishida loss, or in the event that he lost to Angulo, then your point would've been somewhat valid. Yet, you have guys like Khan, Hatton, and few others, who get KTFO and switch trainers/teams, and get little to no grief from causal fans. We usually hear something to the tune, "They did what was best for their careers".

There are just not that many black fighters that are popular and the two with the biggest ratings (Floyd and Broner) are promoted by...that's right, GBP.

You're right about there not being many African Americans fighters out there who are big draws in the sport. What you're wrong about, is Floyd and Broner. Floyd, Broner, and ratings shouldn't even be in the same sentence because there's no comparison. If I ask 10 people on the street who Floyd Mayweather is, I'd get about 5 to 8 people who know him....cant say the same if I did that for Broner. Mayweather does PPV numbers, Broner does ratings...one equates to big money, the other equates to "potential" money in the future. Just because 3M+ people watched Broner's last fight, doesn't mean that he's will do the same, or even remotely close those PPV numbers. Anyhow, Golden Boy DOES NOT promote Floyd's fights, they handle the logistics for the PPV, pressers, and so forth, for a flat fee. If Mayweather Promotions had nothing to do with any of that process, then Floyd may as well be signed to GBP. Who cares about Broner?

How about Bhop and his career after he signed with GBP, it sure skyrocketed and they made him a lot of money.

There's a difference between signing with a promotional company, and owning a part of it. Can you guess which one Hopkins did?

How about Mosley getting fights against Cotto, Margarito and Floyd. I guess they were trying to sacrifice him for Top Rank fighters and Floyd.

Again, as I said about Hopkins, Mosley had a big hand in GBP, because he owned a share of it as well. Why wouldn't he be able to get those big fights? Again, being signed to a promotion company and owning a percentage of it, gives you a bit more say-so. Agree?

Cshel86
It's ok to call out promoters on their bs but let's be real, the few promoters known to promote black fighers - Gary Shaw and Goosen suck at making their fighters popular and Bob Arum just doesn't believe in black fighters since he had Foreman I think.

Who does? Most African American fighters who have the gift of gab and the skill to back it, rarely even need promoters. Kinda reminds me of this guy named Floyd Mayweather. Most aren't successful at what he did in regards to making that type of business move, but it surely opened up fighters options of being a free agent, rather than being feeble-minded and searching for someone to take their money aka promote them.

Now Golden Boy, just look what they are doing or Al Hayman is doing with Broner, getting him tomato cans on prime TV and generating crazy numbers.

You had it right, look what all Haymon is doing with African American fighters. GBP does the same thing, but they only do it good with Hispanic fighters. Generating crazy premium television numbers, is a light-years away from generating crazy PPV numbers. Get back with me when Broner does those types of PPV numbers.

Spending enormous amount of money on the promotion of Floyd' fights. They gave Mosley a lot of fights. Bernard's late career has been nothing short of amazing.

Again, Mosley and Hopkins had first dibs on those big fights that they pretty much had their hands in from jump.

Kirkland, I mean they offered him over a mil for the Canelo fight

No, Kirkland asked for that much money, no way in hell GBP offered him that much money. If Mosley (whose a name in the sport), only managed to get 650k to fight Canelo, then just how much do you think they offered James. It sure as hell wasn't over a million, maybe less than what Mosley made.

In other words, GBP has been promoting the most African-American fighters on their cards and they have had great success with them. Nobody else comes even close.

Excluding Mosley, Hopkins, and them handling Floyd's logistics, name some African Americans fighters that they had "success" with. I'll wait...
checkleft
I'm just not buying it dude, could be true, but just not buying it. What about Ann she told this motherfucker back after he went to jail, he practically begged for her service again and she took him back and this is the thanks she gets? Even if he "might" take her back this is gonna affect her rep. All I've heard from kirkland since he you out of jail is a shit load of excuses and he has taken no responsibility for anything. And I've seen him fight live before I thought he was ready for big things but when he got out of jail fighting every couple weeks I remember on a tecate card one of those tomatoes nearly knocked him down like a fight before ishida. Wolfe needs to get the fuck away because I think she's a decent trainer and this guy seems toxic
pesticid
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 19 2012, 08:49 PM) *
I don't see how GBP has had success with black fighters, just because you sign'em don't mean you made'em. GBP got with B Hop and Sugar Shane after they beat the DOG shit out of ODLH, kinda like when kids fight and the boy who loses wants to be friends afterwards lol. Shane and Bernard's careers "skyrocketed" after they beat Oscar. GBP aint had the success that you try to make it seem with them. And let's not act like Bernard doesn't call his own shots. He been calling his own shots since before he became a partner in GBP. and as far as Kirkland fighting every 3 weeks once he got out of jail, I can agree with that but his whole team supported him? I remember Oscar vouching for him in court but I don't remember shit about no team supporting him.

You say let's be real, okay..Shaw and Goosen even Dibella may have not had the "success" you speak of in terms of getting their fighters the exposure that they should but the Ward's, Dirrell's, etc would beat the breaks off of some of these fighters getting pushed by the big 2 boxing powerhouses. The boxing market has drifted towards hispanic's, which is fine, I;m a hard core fan, I could give two shits what a casual fan or where the market necessarily drifts two. But the african american demographic in boxing has been sorely stepped over. I remember Floyd yrs ago speaking on some of his issues with Arum, he said he had a meeting with Arum about the direction of his career and he wanted to be promoted to the black community and the hip hop demographic, he said Arum told him they don't buy ppv's lol.

the black fighters who GBP have that you speak of...why is it that their all or all except probably 2 or 3 managed by the powerful Al Haymon. Haymon has more power then GBP by his damn self. they may put the fights on but Haymon is pulling those strings. It's a reason that people (especially black fans) are excited about TMT, and one of those reasons is that people are hoping that they promote and properly nurture the careers of black fighters. It's been many articles on the lack of promo and exposure for black fighters in the last 6 months alone. Don't believe me? Go over to eastside boxing and read the article they wrote on how TMT can help the exposure of black fighters.

You are correct that Kirkland doesn't deserve the cash they were going to pay him for a Canelo bout. But there is some truth to what he's saying. When he beat Angulo, they were cashing him out. Angulo was in line for a shot at Canelo, why didn't Canelo fight him then?? Isn't it funny how Canelo was going to fight Kirkland coming off of a fight that he technically was going to lose? I agree that he probably added some shit to his story but he has some truth mixed up in there. And GBP hasn't been successful with promoting black fighters, Haymon has lol

Shane Mosley lost the second fight and he was on steroids. How was Bernard promoted under Don King? Exactly! He was served as a sacrificial lamb to Tito.
Slumpage
Man... I'm still waiting to hear what the hell is going on with the "black pill" thing Kirkland be talking about. I'm guessing that's a major reason to be firing your whole team if what he's claiming is true. Not sure if it ties in to the whole "GBP career sabotage" subtext you man are debating. Anyone got more info on this?

James Kirkland given 2 black pills before the Molina fight! [Loaded Gloves]
Slumpage
Another thing... IF he did take some dodgy pills, why the hell did he take em for? I don't care about "best interests" when you ever heard about fighters taking pills right before the fight? I'd be mad suspicious at that shit...
checkleft
Now he is suing everyone. Gbp, managers, Wolfe.
Franchize
If he didnt include Anne Wolfe in it, maybe I'd believe it. But to include her in the "didn't have my best interest at heart" club seems fishy. Anne Wolfe loves that boy.
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 20 2012, 02:23 PM) *
If he didnt include Anne Wolfe in it, maybe I'd believe it. But to include her in the "didn't have my best interest at heart" club seems fishy. Anne Wolfe loves that boy.

Exactly
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 20 2012, 03:23 PM) *

if she was the one that gave him the pills...she's suspect.
Cshel86
The fact that he couldn't even provide a urine sample before the fight, still bothers me a bit. He explained it in the interview, but I didn't get much clarity from it. His team should've known that the commission was going to be pressing him for a urine sample after the fight, so I dont know why anyone would risk giving him an unknown substance...but who knows.

Maybe they WERE planning to ditch him in the event that he got busted. It's still a bit blurry from this end guess we'll have to hear what everybody else has to say.
mrchitown
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 20 2012, 07:48 AM) *
Shane Mosley lost the second fight and he was on steroids. How was Bernard promoted under Don King? Exactly! He was served as a sacrificial lamb to Tito.

I agree he lost but is that W still on his record??..yep, so technically that's an L for Oscar. And Hopkins was NOT promoted under DKP, he was involved in that middleweight tournament that Don King put together where he unified the belts. I know King is known for getting options on fighters' next fights if they beat those in his stable, so that could've happened. But Do some fact checking, Hopkins was and has been calling his own shots for a very long time now. And I remember as far back as last yr that Hopkins and King were talking about putting a tourney together at 175. I guess he's going to be under DKP if that happens to right?

He, much like RJJ back then decided who he fought, purse splits, etc. If you don't believe that, go read up on Joe Calzaghe's interviews from back then and the book he put out where he went into great detail about how hard it was to deal with Hopkins, HBO wanted the fight yrs ago and Hopkins kept changing his demands. Lamont Peterson is a free agent and decides who he fights as well but he fought Khan and GBP promoted that fight but he's not "under" any promotional company, much like Hopkins wasn't

You have not shown one piece of proof to validate any of your assertions...especially when it pertains to GBP or TR having success with black fighters. At the gym I train at we have a saying "The next time you point a gun at somebody, make sure you got bullets in it". Dig a little deeper into the truth before you attribute something as fact next time
pesticid
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 20 2012, 10:49 PM) *
I agree he lost but is that W still on his record??..yep, so technically that's an L for Oscar. And Hopkins was NOT promoted under DKP, he was involved in that middleweight tournament that Don King put together where he unified the belts. I know King is known for getting options on fighters' next fights if they beat those in his stable, so that could've happened. But Do some fact checking, Hopkins was and has been calling his own shots for a very long time now. And I remember as far back as last yr that Hopkins and King were talking about putting a tourney together at 175. I guess he's going to be under DKP if that happens to right?

He, much like RJJ back then decided who he fought, purse splits, etc. If you don't believe that, go read up on Joe Calzaghe's interviews from back then and the book he put out where he went into great detail about how hard it was to deal with Hopkins, HBO wanted the fight yrs ago and Hopkins kept changing his demands. Lamont Peterson is a free agent and decides who he fights as well but he fought Khan and GBP promoted that fight but he's not "under" any promotional company, much like Hopkins wasn't

You have not shown one piece of proof to validate any of your assertions...especially when it pertains to GBP or TR having success with black fighters. At the gym I train at we have a saying "The next time you point a gun at somebody, make sure you got bullets in it". Dig a little deeper into the truth before you attribute something as fact next time

Golden boy is a young company but so far they've promoted Floyd, Shane, Bhop, Mosley, Kirkland, Devon Alexandre, Erislanda Lara, Garry Russel Jr, Winky Wright, Peter Quilin, Adrien Broner, Danny Jacobs among others. Now it's undeniable that Floyd, Shane and Bhop who are the biggest names in boxing have had the best promotion under GBP. Is that a fact enough for you or are you gonna try to weasel your way out somehow again?

I never said anything about Top Rank being successful nowadays with black fighters, quite the contrary actually!
mrchitown
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 24 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Golden boy is a young company but so far they've promoted Floyd, Shane, Bhop, Mosley, Kirkland, Devon Alexandre, Erislanda Lara, Garry Russel Jr, Winky Wright, Peter Quilin, Adrien Broner, Danny Jacobs among others. Now it's undeniable that Floyd, Shane and Bhop who are the biggest names in boxing have had the best promotion under GBP. Is that a fact enough for you or are you gonna try to weasel your way out somehow again?

I never said anything about Top Rank being successful nowadays with black fighters, quite the contrary actually!

Kirkland...leaving. Who the fuck outside of hardcore fans knows Danny Jacobs? Lara? Quillin? Hell even Devon. After that stink fest with Bradley, it's some hardcore fans that still don't watch Devon to this day. Lara a good fighter who they can barely find fights for. And they let TR win the purse bid for his title eliminator vs Vanes. What good job are you taking about clown? And don't take days to respond next time either.

When's the last time you saw Jacobs fight? and how is GB young when they been around for a decade? I'll give you Broner and Russel jr, I'm fans of both and they can both achieve massive success if GB promotes them right. But every time I look on twitter, Broner is screaming TMT lol. I bet when his contract is up he bolts. I guess Kirkland and possibly Broner leaving for no reason right?

Floyd contracts GB out for a "flat fee" you can save that promo shit because Floyd sells himself as far as boxing goes. He did however become the PPV king fighting De La Hoya, but I guess the Mayweather promotions banner been hanging in the rafters during his fights for nothing. Bhop and Shane(up until 2010) have a piece of GB, so isn't that like them promoting themselves with "their" company

As I stated Haymon is responsible for the success of the black fighters, especially under GB. Don't act like GB doesn't "push" their hispanic fighters into title shots and other fights i.e. Canelo, Garcia, they even got Morales a 2nd fight with Garcia and he aint did shit to earn it? show me some solid proof that they have had the success you speak of. Cuz the way you talk you think they "owe' something to GB for promoting them
pesticid
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 24 2012, 06:35 PM) *
Kirkland...leaving. Who the fuck outside of hardcore fans knows Danny Jacobs? Lara? Quillin? Hell even Devon. After that stink fest with Bradley, it's some hardcore fans that still don't watch Devon to this day. Lara a good fighter who they can barely find fights for. And they let TR win the purse bid for his title eliminator vs Vanes. What good job are you taking about clown? And don't take days to respond next time either.

When's the last time you saw Jacobs fight? and how is GB young when they been around for a decade? I'll give you Broner and Russel jr, I'm fans of both and they can both achieve massive success if GB promotes them right. But every time I look on twitter, Broner is screaming TMT lol. I bet when his contract is up he bolts. I guess Kirkland and possibly Broner leaving for no reason right?

Floyd contracts GB out for a "flat fee" you can save that promo shit because Floyd sells himself as far as boxing goes. He did however become the PPV king fighting De La Hoya, but I guess the Mayweather promotions banner been hanging in the rafters during his fights for nothing. Bhop and Shane(up until 2010) have a piece of GB, so isn't that like them promoting themselves with "their" company

As I stated Haymon is responsible for the success of the black fighters, especially under GB. Don't act like GB doesn't "push" their hispanic fighters into title shots and other fights i.e. Canelo, Garcia, they even got Morales a 2nd fight with Garcia and he aint did shit to earn it? show me some solid proof that they have had the success you speak of. Cuz the way you talk you think they "owe' something to GB for promoting them

Nobody owes nobody nothing! You said that GBP didn't have success with black fighters and I proved you wrong. Now take a seat and be quiet!
mrchitown
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 24 2012, 08:41 PM) *
Nobody owes nobody nothing! You said that GBP didn't have success with black fighters and I proved you wrong. Now take a seat and be quiet!

HAHAHA I had to laugh at this, I guess your definition of success is different from mine. But I guarantee if you take a poll, you'd be in the minority. You didn't prove anything, you tried to call me out after Shels schooled yo and you came at me thinking it was the lesser of 2 evils. He basically said the same thing I said in my initial post to you. You brought up fighters who only the most loyal fans would know and you think you got a W under your belt lmao. That's not success fool. What black fighter did they turn into a star? I'll wait? It wasn't anyone...not even Floyd who when he fought De La Hoya was a promotional free agent. Not B Hop, Not Shane. Name who they've been successful with.

In the words of my Chitown brethren Kanye west "STFU before I embarrass you"
pesticid
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 24 2012, 10:51 PM) *
HAHAHA I had to laugh at this, I guess your definition of success is different from mine. But I guarantee if you take a poll, you'd be in the minority. You didn't prove anything, you tried to call me out after Shels schooled yo and you came at me thinking it was the lesser of 2 evils. He basically said the same thing I said in my initial post to you. You brought up fighters who only the most loyal fans would know and you think you got a W under your belt lmao. That's not success fool. What black fighter did they turn into a star? I'll wait? It wasn't anyone...not even Floyd who when he fought De La Hoya was a promotional free agent. Not B Hop, Not Shane. Name who they've been successful with.

In the words of my Chitown brethren Kanye west "STFU before I embarrass you"

How old are you, 16? You sound pretty immature.. Cshel didn't school anybody. He said that GBP didn't care about promoting black fighters so I challenged him on that with examples, same I did with you. Again, how many starts are there in boxing aside from Mayweather and Pacquiao in the US, and you're asking me to name a black boxing star promoted by Golden Boy. They don't even have a Hispanic one yet. There really aren't stars in the US except for Mayweather and Pacquiao.

GBP promotions have been promoting as many African-American as Hispanics, and they don't really have a star of either colour. Just cause Kirkland is unhappy and is suing everybody doesn't mean that GBP doesn't care about their fighters. Bernard Hopkins is a part owner of the company, you don't think he has a say in promoting a lot of these black fighters on their roster. I repeat nobody outside of GBP is promoting more black fighters. They are getting young guys like Quilin, Alexandre, Gary Russel Jr, Broner and Lara great exposure. These are guys with very little following yet GBP is promoting the hell out of them.
mrchitown
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 25 2012, 11:21 AM) *
How old are you, 16? You sound pretty immature.. Cshel didn't school anybody. He said that GBP didn't care about promoting black fighters so I challenged him on that with examples, same I did with you. Again, how many starts are there in boxing aside from Mayweather and Pacquiao in the US, and you're asking me to name a black boxing star promoted by Golden Boy. They don't even have a Hispanic one yet. There really aren't stars in the US except for Mayweather and Pacquiao.

GBP promotions have been promoting as many African-American as Hispanics, and they don't really have a star of either colour. Just cause Kirkland is unhappy and is suing everybody doesn't mean that GBP doesn't care about their fighters. Bernard Hopkins is a part owner of the company, you don't think he has a say in promoting a lot of these black fighters on their roster. I repeat nobody outside of GBP is promoting more black fighters. They are getting young guys like Quilin, Alexandre, Gary Russel Jr, Broner and Lara great exposure. These are guys with very little following yet GBP is promoting the hell out of them.

There really is no arguing with a fool, I guess I'll just agree to disagree here. See it how you want and I'll assess the situation in my own way
mrchitown
http://www.boxingscene.com/kirkland-legal-...ets-ugly--56449

Looks like things will get worse before they start to get better
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 25 2012, 12:21 PM) *

russell, broner and lara are al haymon advised fighters who are with gbp on a fight by fight basis. while they may be promoting them now...that may not last. i get the feeling tmt was developed to bring it all in house. only time will tell.

on the flip side....gbp's treatment of hopkins and mosley wasn't exactly the way u want to treat guys of that caliber. both had great wins in their careers....hopkins over pavlik (career defining) and mosley over margarito (again, career defining) and gbp shelved them for their amazing efforts. hopkins didn't get another meaningful fight for 2 yrs off that win and mosley was pretty much shelved for a over a year before he got the mayweather fight...a fight which he should have got a long time ago but took back seat to his 'promotional partner' dlh. hell...mosley let it be known he wanted pacquiao as well....and dlh pushed jmm instead. mosley had to leave gbp to get that fight and when he left what did gbp give him for his part in helping to build gbp? $1000. they said that's all his share of the promotional company was worth.
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 28 2012, 10:39 PM) *
]russell, broner and lara are al haymon advised fighters who are with gbp on a fight by fight basis. while they may be promoting them now.[/b]..that may not last. i get the feeling tmt was developed to bring it all in house. only time will tell.

on the flip side....gbp's treatment of hopkins and mosley wasn't exactly the way u want to treat guys of that caliber. both had great wins in their careers....hopkins over pavlik (career defining) and mosley over margarito (again, career defining) and gbp shelved them for their amazing efforts. hopkins didn't get another meaningful fight for 2 yrs off that win and mosley was pretty much shelved for a over a year before he got the mayweather fight...a fight which he should have got a long time ago but took back seat to his 'promotional partner' dlh. hell...mosley let it be known he wanted pacquiao as well....and dlh pushed jmm instead. mosley had to leave gbp to get that fight and when he left what did gbp give him for his part in helping to build gbp? $1000. they said that's all his share of the promotional company was worth.

Can't argue with that, the point is GBP is still promoting them just like Goosen is promoting Arreola and used to promote Paul Williams who are with Al Haymon also. Al Haymon is a great adviser and he used to be a great promoter in R & B but the fact of the matter is that we still have GBP promoting a lot of black fighters.

As far as Mosley they gave him Margarito. They were getting him to fight Berto (a very meaningful fight) but Berto cancelled it. I don`t see how they put him on the shelf when Berto cancelled their much anticipated fight. Next they gave him Floyd, then they gave him Mora and he stank it up.

They wanted to give Marquez a fight over Mosley for known reasons, he was more deserving, a better match-up and better business as proven by Pacman vs Dinamita 3. They still gave Mosley the Alvarez fight after despite the bad blood. Mosley was a fading product, Marquez is still a fighter that a lot of people want to see fight. Nobody wanted to see Mosley vs Pacman and it didn't do good entertainment wise and money wise.

As far as his shares being worth only $1000, then that`s what you get. Should he have received extra money because he decided to go with Top Rank, how is that for loyalty. I understand Shane, he wanted his 2 mil against Pacman and he did what he had to do but I understand GBP too. This is business and if your shares are worth $1000 that`s what you get.

Now speaking of Bhop, he has gotten the most meaningful fights since he got with GBP - Dawson twice, Pascal twice, Kelly Pavlik, Joe Calzaghe, Antonio Tarver, Jermain Taylor twice. Anybody that was there to fight in his division, those fights got made. You`re nitpicking here. BHop`s career under GBP has been nothing short of spectacular compared to what it was under King where he fought Joppy and Hakar after his destruction of Tito.
checkleft
QUOTE (pesticid @ Aug 31 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Can't argue with that, the point is GBP is still promoting them just like Goosen is promoting Arreola and used to promote Paul Williams who are with Al Haymon also. Al Haymon is a great adviser and he used to be a great promoter in R & B but the fact of the matter is that we still have GBP promoting a lot of black fighters.

As far as Mosley they gave him Margarito. They were getting him to fight Berto (a very meaningful fight) but Berto cancelled it. I don`t see how they put him on the shelf when Berto cancelled their much anticipated fight. Next they gave him Floyd, then they gave him Mora and he stank it up.

They wanted to give Marquez a fight over Mosley for known reasons, he was more deserving, a better match-up and better business as proven by Pacman vs Dinamita 3. They still gave Mosley the Alvarez fight after despite the bad blood. Mosley was a fading product, Marquez is still a fighter that a lot of people want to see fight. Nobody wanted to see Mosley vs Pacman and it didn't do good entertainment wise and money wise.

As far as his shares being worth only $1000, then that`s what you get. Should he have received extra money because he decided to go with Top Rank, how is that for loyalty. I understand Shane, he wanted his 2 mil against Pacman and he did what he had to do but I understand GBP too. This is business and if your shares are worth $1000 that`s what you get.

Now speaking of Bhop, he has gotten the most meaningful fights since he got with GBP - Dawson twice, Pascal twice, Kelly Pavlik, Joe Calzaghe, Antonio Tarver, Jermain Taylor twice. Anybody that was there to fight in his division, those fights got made. You`re nitpicking here. BHop`s career under GBP has been nothing short of spectacular compared to what it was under King where he fought Joppy and Hakar after his destruction of Tito.

This. Mosley had it good up until he left gbp... Hopkins has been treated very well too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.