Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *HELL YEAH FULL* Chavez Jr vs Martinez *FACE OFF* (Full video Post #40/Poll Added)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
BoxingEinstein

That was intense!!! Martinez brings vengeance for having his hard earned title stripped from him and given to Jr. Then to be ducked for 2 years as a mandatory challenger to a belt that is yours. He is that late bloomer fighter that polishes their skill late in their careers at a time where time is their enemy.

Chavez Jr. Brings a huge chip on his shoulder in the form that he is cast in the shadow of his legendary father.
He will forever be compared, contrasted, and critiqued by the example his father has already set.
He is also a late bloomer fighter like Martinez in which it took 40+ fights for him to show signs of significant improvement.

Martinez takes this fight by either late 12 TKO if he boxes in and out all rounds.
Or Chavez Jr. Takes it by 10 TKO if he uses the same strategy he used against both Zbik and Lee. Also if Martinez slugs it out with him too much.

daprofessor
i was under the impression that martinez was made 'champion emeritus' and that the 'regular' championship was made vacant by the wbc...

i get his hostility...but why wasn't he as vigilant about the other titles at middleweight? why not target pirog or golovkin? i totally agree that there is jealousy in his heart over this. jealousy, like envy and hate are emotions that will not serve him well in the ring. jr has grown. he's not the same pup that martinez was calling out a short while ago. i didn't see any fear or concern on jr's part in this face off. he had a confident arrogance about himself. he didn't seem swayed by anything sergio said. he stood his ground so to speak. the fight will be no different. martinez will not be able to box him for the whole 12 rounds. he'll have to be able to back chavez up at some point. if he doesn't get his respect early...i see jr taking over in the mid to late rounds and possibly winning by stoppage. on the flipside, i do believe sergio has a chance to stop him early. either way...this is going to be a fight for the ages. i can't wait!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Aug 26 2012, 03:38 AM) *
yea but actions speak louder than words

no doubt. i totally agree.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 26 2012, 08:50 PM) *
i was under the impression that martinez was made 'champion emeritus' and that the 'regular' championship was made vacant by the wbc...

i get his hostility...but why wasn't he as vigilant about the other titles at middleweight? why not target pirog or golovkin? i totally agree that there is jealousy in his heart over this. jealousy, like envy and hate are emotions that will not serve him well in the ring. jr has grown. he's not the same pup that martinez was calling out a short while ago. i didn't see any fear or concern on jr's part in this face off. he had a confident arrogance about himself. he didn't seem swayed by anything sergio said. he stood his ground so to speak. the fight will be no different. martinez will not be able to box him for the whole 12 rounds. he'll have to be able to back chavez up at some point. if he doesn't get his respect early...i see jr taking over in the mid to late rounds and possibly winning by stoppage. on the flipside, i do believe sergio has a chance to stop him early. either way...this is going to be a fight for the ages. i can't wait!

Doping could be the reason for the confidence. It looked to me like the "I'm privileged, the deck will be stacked in my favor. I dont have to stay in shape between fights to beat the the likes of you," look. He's confident because he knows he wont be tested for PEDs. He'll be allowed to come in at 200lbs and wear offensive lineman gloves for the fight and no one will question it. If they do question it, then the WBC and Arum will come up with some bullshit to keep the kid's shit smelling like roses to the Mexicans audience. I'll say, I think this boy is a fraud. Always have thought it. he's a novelty act that will dry up once he faces the cream of the crop at his real weight class of at least 168.

Dont be surprised if funny business goes on and Martinez does the smart thing and shuts the whole thing down and refuses to fight because Chavez doesn't make weight or doesn't piss or doesn't wear the right weight gloves. This fight still may not happen.
checkleft

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2012, 06:20 PM) *
One thing I noticed was that Chavez seemed a bit fat in the FACE OFF. I think he's one of those guys that balloons between fights. At some point thats got to catch up to him. You dont want that time to be against Martinez, who will take him into deep waters. I still dont think that Chavez has been in with the same calibur of guys that Martinez has soundly beaten. Andy Lee may have been Chavez' best opponent to date. Was Andy Lee really that good?? No. This appears to be the fight that many are gauging their hero worship on. I have no doubt that Martinez would have stopped Andy Lee too. I think Martinez will stop Chavez. However, I wouldnt be surprised to see some funny business go on here. I hope its a level playing field. That always needs to be questioned with Chavez.

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Doping could be the reason for the confidence. It looked to me like the "I'm privileged, the deck will be stacked in my favor. I dont have to stay in shape between fights to beat the the likes of you," look. He's confident because he knows he wont be tested for PEDs. He'll be allowed to come in at 200lbs and wear offensive lineman gloves for the fight and no one will question it. If they do question it, then the WBC and Arum will come up with some bullshit to keep the kid's shit smelling like roses to the Mexicans audience. I'll say, I think this boy is a fraud. Always have thought it. he's a novelty act that will dry up once he faces the cream of the crop at his real weight class of at least 168.

Dont be surprised if funny business goes on and Martinez does the smart thing and shuts the whole thing down and refuses to fight because Chavez doesn't make weight or doesn't piss or doesn't wear the right weight gloves. This fight still may not happen.

Perfectly put
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2012, 09:08 PM) *

i know vegas is about as upstanding as it gets for commissions and that's not really saying much. i'm not saying the kid hasn't had favor...or that rules haven't been bent in his favor. i get that. but beneath it all, the kid can fight. the kid can take a shot. martinez could have asked for testing...he chose not to. let's be honest...there aren't too many 40 yr olds that look like martinez. is here reason to suspect him? both fighters will have the chance to inspect gloves. if there is reason for concern, martinez and his camp should bring it to light. come fight night...each fighter will have the final say. i'm not sure martinez gave anything up or not to make this fight happen, but it's evident to me he has no intention of leaving it up to the judges.
checkleft
Dope or no dope on both sides, chavez strengths rely on the significant size advantage he brings to the ring. His chin and strength are all dependant on him coming in as a god Damn light heavyweight on fight night. I get he's the son of a legend but its hard to respect someone who is clearly milking his dads name to gain advantages in the boxing world.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 26 2012, 09:59 PM) *
i know vegas is about as upstanding as it gets for commissions and that's not really saying much. i'm not saying the kid hasn't had favor...or that rules haven't been bent in his favor. i get that. but beneath it all, the kid can fight. the kid can take a shot. martinez could have asked for testing...he chose not to. let's be honest...there aren't too many 40 yr olds that look like martinez. is here reason to suspect him? both fighters will have the chance to inspect gloves. if there is reason for concern, martinez and his camp should bring it to light. come fight night...each fighter will have the final say. i'm not sure martinez gave anything up or not to make this fight happen, but it's evident to me he has no intention of leaving it up to the judges.

Absolutely!! I've said on here on a few occassions that I think Martibnez dopes too. The difference will be, he may be the only one tested for this fight. I can easily see him flunking a test and Chavez jr not even being tested.
Franchize
Man I think Cshel swayed e. Im starting to think Chavez mightbeat Sergio. Either way, I always thought Sergio would win he early rounds fairly convincingly. I just think Julio is starting to become a tank at this weight and Sergio might shoot his load trying to throw the kitchen sink at the young champ. I don't knowman. I'm so amped. I'm just nervous because all of the fights I've been excited for this year got cancelled.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 27 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Man I think Cshel swayed e. Im starting to think Chavez mightbeat Sergio. Either way, I always thought Sergio would win he early rounds fairly convincingly. I just think Julio is starting to become a tank at this weight and Sergio might shoot his load trying to throw the kitchen sink at the young champ. I don't knowman. I'm so amped. I'm just nervous because all of the fights I've been excited for this year got cancelled.

Lol, I hope I didn't, but honestly...I didn't want to be swayed by his performance in the Manfredo and Lee fights, but that shit surely happened. I can describe the feeling, as nothing more than that empty feeling that you get after losing a bet and forking over your money to some fucktard with the "I told you so" attitude. Lol

Dude has really shown improvement over the past 8-9 months, and as much as I didn't wanna give him credit, it's pretty much due at this point. Is he a world beater? Nope. Can he beat Sergio? More than likely, yes. To be honest, this can possibly be THAT fight where Sergio more than likely beats himself.

Look at Sergio, he's been hit by some not-so-quick punchers, as of late. Honestly, I feel like his 15 mins are up, if not in this fight, then at least in the next 1-2 fights. If Barker was able to eat him up with right hands while barely moving, then a stalking Julio is gonna hit him with something. Sergio DOES get hit more than usual, it's just like Pacquiao getting hit in fights, it's not always blatantly obvious until you go back and watch the fight.

Hell, Macklin hit Sergio with a few good shots, that was some odd shit. I haven't seen Sergio hurt lately, if ever, but he does make himself too damn available at times. He moves a lot, but shit, sometimes, I thinks it works against him. He's been fighting smaller MWs or at least guys his size, but fighting a guy who will more than likely tower over him and have the size (weight) to take his punches, is another thing to look at.

Remember how he fought in both Williams fights? He had to punch high and often because Paul threw a lot, but a MW WIillams' chin, along with those other guys that he fought in his size range, cannot be compared to Julio. Now, If Sergio just wants to go for the gold like he did in the Williams rematch, then he may have more success, if not a late KO. Maybe he can catch Chavez cold...he should exercise his options.

If Julio takes those punches (which Im sure he already knows that he HAS to take because he isn't that fast), then Sergio will HAVE to circle and box. Not sure how long he can do that over the course of 12 rounds, but Im almost sure he will fold and end up getting walked down. Why? His emotions will be in the way and cause him to do something that he doesn't have to do...kinda like the Khan/Garcia fight.

As we all know, Khan could've won that one fairly easily. Because he felt that he could hurt Danny, that millisecond too long during an exchange, caused him to take a punch that he didn't have to take, which ultimately caused him the fight. Sergio has made it abundantly clear that he wants to HURT Julio, which Im sure he can only do by staying close to him...result, less stalking for Julio, and more opportunities to land punches. As we all know, if you go into a fight looking for a KO, then there's always a possibility that you'll end up on the receiving end of what you were trying to dish out.

Oh yeah, if you look at how Julio's opponents shit their pants when he's walking them down and bobbing and weaving/swaying that big ass head of his, that almost always results in a guy getting cornered. This happens because he takes a few punches, or more than people expect, then SUDDENLY he starts using head movement...that's like guys getting used to Floyd only throwing 1 or 2 punches, and SUDDENLY, he starts throwing combinations. I haven't seen many guys walk straight to Sergio, except Margarito, and we ALL know that he feels like head movement is a crime. Lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 27 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Lol, I hope I didn't, but honestly...I didn't want to be swayed by his performance in the Manfredo and Lee fights, but that shit surely happened. I can describe the feeling, as nothing more than that empty feeling that you get after losing a bet and forking over your money to some fucktard with the "I told you so" attitude. Lol

Dude has really shown improvement over the past 8-9 months, and as much as I didn't wanna give him credit, it's pretty much due at this point. Is he a world beater? Nope. Can he beat Sergio? More than likely, yes. To be honest, this can possibly be THAT fight where Sergio more than likely beats himself.

Look at Sergio, he's been hit by some not-so-quick punchers, as of late. Honestly, I feel like his 15 mins are up, if not in this fight, then at least in the next 1-2 fights. If Barker was able to eat him up with right hands while barely moving, then a stalking Julio is gonna hit him with something. Sergio DOES get hit more than usual, it's just like Pacquiao getting hit in fights, it's not always blatantly obvious until you go back and watch the fight.

Hell, Macklin hit Sergio with a few good shots, that was some odd shit. I haven't seen Sergio hurt lately, if ever, but he does make himself too damn available at times. He moves a lot, but shit, sometimes, I thinks it works against him. He's been fighting smaller MWs or at least guys his size, but fighting a guy who will more than likely tower over him and have the size (weight) to take his punches, is another thing to look at.

Remember how he fought in both Williams fights? He had to punch high and often because Paul threw a lot, but a MW WIillams' chin, along with those other guys that he fought in his size range, cannot be compared to Julio. Now, If Sergio just wants to go for the gold like he did in the Williams rematch, then he may have more success, if not a late KO. Maybe he can catch Chavez cold...he should exercise his options.

If Julio takes those punches (which Im sure he already knows that he HAS to take because he isn't that fast), then Sergio will HAVE to circle and box. Not sure how long he can do that over the course of 12 rounds, but Im almost sure he will fold and end up getting walked down. Why? His emotions will be in the way and cause him to do something that he doesn't have to do...kinda like the Khan/Garcia fight.

As we all know, Khan could've won that one fairly easily. Because he felt that he could hurt Danny, that millisecond too long during an exchange, caused him to take a punch that he didn't have to take, which ultimately caused him the fight. Sergio has made it abundantly clear that he wants to HURT Julio, which Im sure he can only do by staying close to him...result, less stalking for Julio, and more opportunities to land punches. As we all know, if you go into a fight looking for a KO, then there's always a possibility that you'll end up on the receiving end of what you were trying to dish out.

Oh yeah, if you look at how Julio's opponents shit their pants when he's walking them down and bobbing and weaving/swaying that big ass head of his, that almost always results in a guy getting cornered. This happens because he takes a few punches, or more than people expect, then SUDDENLY he starts using head movement...that's like guys getting used to Floyd only throwing 1 or 2 punches, and SUDDENLY, he starts throwing combinations. I haven't seen many guys walk straight to Sergio, except Margarito, and we ALL know that he feels like head movement is a crime. Lol

couldn't have said it better myself. good shit.
sduck
Idk, I think Sergio can pull it off

Yeah I definitely got Sergio on this. End of Chavez Jr's career.
Jack 1000
Chavez by decision fair or foul. This is Top Rank's, the WBC's, and Jim Lamply's next pom-pom child. Dibella's guys always seem to get the short end of the stick in these kinds of situations. I know, the judges amazingly all had Lee ahead in a close fight at the stoppage, but they went the other way against favoritism because of the fight being so close to Bradley-Pacquiao's controversial call.

The HBO fan boys will be out in full force. Steward will mumble his way through an explanation of how Martinez is not effective enough in sports and will give Chavez full credit for close rounds that to the untrained eye Marquez could win in an impartial situation, but he won't. Merchant will be working on his drunken soliloquy favoring Chavez. Kellerman will try to be the best at objectivity, if he hasn't been brainwashed by the higher-ups at HBO to also share the pom-poms for Chavez. They will have it close to try to prevent a really bad call. But this is a 115-113 twice, and a two-wide for Chavez card the other way at like 117-111. In reality most impartial observers will think the fight should have been a draw to a 115-113 for Sergio.

Is there a rematch clause? I just can't see Arum and the WBC letting Chavez Jr lose, just because he is Julio's kid getting less than a draw on the cards. Watch this shit being decided on a head-butt cut that benefits Julio Jr. in some way. The powers that be just have to try to get this to be not terrible like Bradley-Pacquiao, but just enough to make sure that Julo's kid does not lose. That's what I see, and you didn't have to pay $59.95 to find out.

Jack
Hotsauce
chavez talking shit on 24/7
Jack 1000
There still might be too much WBC and Bob Arum politics in this fight for Martinez to be treated fairly on the cards. We do have good judges though:

Martinez-Chavez Jr.: referee Tony Weeks, judges Stanley Christodoulou, Adalaide Byrd, Dave Moretti.

This is very good. Is there a rematch clause?

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 7 2012, 08:53 PM) *
Martinez-Chavez Jr.: referee Tony Weeks, judges Stanley Christodoulou, Adalaide Byrd, Dave Moretti.

The referee is the only fair portion of this line-up. Byrd and Moretti...they're a bit up-and-down at times, and this cat with the long last name spells trouble for me...just a hunch that I have, that wont seem to go away. Sergio better "Paul Williams" Julio, or else.
wolterb
oh...people think chavez will give martinez a fight?

the sound of deflation will be overwhelming come saturday
daprofessor
QUOTE (wolterb @ Sep 9 2012, 12:13 PM) *
oh...people think chavez will give martinez a fight?

the sound of deflation will be overwhelming come saturday

i know i voted chavez by ko...i think cschel is the other one....i don't know about deflation because i think the fight can go either way but i'm thinking jr is going to get sergio. we'll see what happens.
Cshel86
From the looks of it, this fight is "sold out", if not completely sold out (as DuBoef mentioned), then it should be close enough. Cant wait! I'll be flying out there Thurs morning, wish I was flying out tomorrow.

I have to finish up the day at work tomorrow...that means one more day that I cant talk myself into giving a flying f*ck, lol.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 11 2012, 07:45 PM) *
From the looks of it, this fight is "sold out", if not completely sold out (as DuBoef mentioned), then it should be close enough. Cant wait! I'll be flying out there Thurs morning, wish I was flying out tomorrow.

I have to finish up the day at work tomorrow...that means one more day that I cant talk myself into giving a flying f*ck, lol.

nice! this is a good fight to catch in vegas. have fun! and try not to get too drunk...i've been trying to delay that intervention for quite some time now... laugh.gif
Hotsauce
chavez by decision or martinez by stoopage
Cshel86
Guys...Im at the airport in LV, and when I tell you there are a SHITLOAD of Mexicans here! There are more than a few Argentinians here...all I know is, everybody's speaking different languages!

Im chillin at airport for a few, until the Hard Rock opens, so I can get my tickets to the Vargas fight tonight. Not sure if my room will be ready in 20 mins like they mentioned. I'll give them about an hour or so...I dont believe anybody can thoroughly clean a room in 20 mins...especially for a stranger. Lol
daprofessor
freddie roach: “We got the work in, I just wasn’t 100% happy with where we did the work,” Roach says to FightNews while stating that the cameras weren’t allowed to film the two training at Chavez’ house. “I’d rather have him in the boxing ring so I can show him how to cut the ring off and not follow his opponent around. It’s hard to do that when you’re training somebody in the living room.” huh.gif
Hotsauce
i hope they show the fight night weight
checkleft
Chavez looked frail at the weigh in. Extremely thin
Hotsauce
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 14 2012, 06:37 PM) *
Chavez looked frail at the weigh in. Extremely thin

he should be 180+ tomorrow night
checkleft
Think his leg cramps will come back if he gets taken to deep waters because of this?
Hotsauce
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 14 2012, 07:15 PM) *
Think his leg cramps will come back if he gets taken to deep waters because of this?

that will be an excuse, if he loses
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.