Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *HELL YEAH FULL* Chavez Jr vs Martinez *FACE OFF* (Full video Post #40/Poll Added)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
daprofessor

maaaaaan....i cannot wait to see this fight!!!!
daprofessor
i think someone else in this forum mentioned it before...but i'm starting to agree....this fight is going to play out like cotto/margarito 1. and like that fight....i get a strong feeling that neither guy is going to come out the same. i think this is one of those fights that both will sacrifice their futures to win. hopefully...they both take long lay offs and recuperate properly after the fight. maybe take on some soft touches just to rejuvenate. whatever the case....i am super excited about this fight. this is 1a to ward/dawson's 1b. man i love boxing!!!
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 11:06 PM) *
i think someone else in this forum mentioned it before...but i'm starting to agree....this fight is going to play out like cotto/margarito 1. and like that fight....i get a strong feeling that neither guy is going to come out the same. i think this is one of those fights that both will sacrifice their futures to win. hopefully...they both take long lay offs and recuperate properly after the fight. maybe take on some soft touches just to rejuvenate. whatever the case....i am super excited about this fight. this is 1a to ward/dawson's 1b. man i love boxing!!!

really think Martinez will gas?
sduck
This fight is sooo hype!!!
BigFightFan
That's the best face off I have seen in a while, that shit was intense. I'm taking Jr. in this one
The Original MrFactor
A fight between 2 dopers. Somebody may get killed in the ring. Either way, they both dont come out the same at the end.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 21 2012, 05:45 PM) *
really think Martinez will gas?

go back and look at some of his fights. he typically takes a break around the 5th or 6th round before he gets his second wind. chavez is going to pressure him intelligently because pressure is what he does. he'll cut the ring and throw high percentage body shots that will take their toll on sergio. if martinez doesn't get his respect early...yes, he's going to gas. at some point he's going to have to step in the pocket and tie chavez up or at least put him on his heels so that he can rest...if he doesn't do this, it'll play out like cotto/margarito 1 with sergio breaking down in the last rounds. to sergio's credit...he usually finishes really strong...but he hasn't had to deal with this kind of pressure since he fought williams the first time. he lost that fight but it was close. williams was a different kind of pressure fighter and he wasn't as big or as strong as chavez. the other time he had to deal with that pressure was against margarito. we all know what happened in that one. martinez has more miles on him now. it's going to be very interesting watching this fight play out. the bull vs the matador. classic match up. both guys have animosity for each other. i cannot wait!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Aug 21 2012, 06:29 PM) *
That's the best face off I have seen in a while, that shit was intense. I'm taking Jr. in this one

was it me? or did jr have a crazed look on his face that seemed to intimidate sergio?
neophyte7
Chavez Junior in my view ain't shit.. Sergio should box and then take his one dimensional face fighting cruiser weight ass out. I hope Sergio puts his ass in hospital...
Cshel86
Professor, before I watch this video...did you really just post "OMG" 3 times in the sub topic like a high school valley girl???

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 21 2012, 07:57 PM) *
Professor, before I watch this video...did you really just post "OMG" 3 times in the sub topic like a high school valley girl???

i've been out in cali too long. laugh.gif
BigFightFan
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 07:57 PM) *
was it me? or did jr have a crazed look on his face that seemed to intimidate sergio?

Exactly! He is in a zone and Martinez is in trouble
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 07:57 PM) *

That look on his face, actually made my hair stand up on the back of neck. I swear he looks like a vampire, the day-walker type though.

Anyhow, Sergio is of course, a small MW, and he'll have to make his movement count. He only has a 1 inch reach advantage (24 in), but Chavez has that 3 inch height advantage. The pressure will tell the story in this fight.

As some have already noticed and mentioned, Sergio takes off a round or two during his fights, and Im sure Julio will be warmed up and acclimated to Sergio's punches at that point.

This is a unification bout, but Arum more than likely pulls the strings in this one, which could effect the size of the ring. Its weird because Im sure they wouldn't have pout Julio in this fight, if they didn't think he could win. Either that, or Arum is trying to pay him back for attempting to sit out his contract this past summer.

With all of this said, Im sure they pressed for a smaller ring, to insure that Sergio doesn't have the room he needs to avoid that extra pressure of being cornered. This one will become interesting in the middle rounds...ooowee Chavez looks like he dont give a fuuuuck. In the back of my mind, Sergio may have bitten off more than he can chew in this one...
mrchitown
I caught this earlier in the day and I am extremely excited about this fight. Chavez jr and Martinez had those "shit just got real" faces on lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 21 2012, 09:16 PM) *
That look on his face, actually made my hair stand up on the back of neck. I swear he looks like a vampire, the day-walker type though.

Anyhow, Sergio is of course, a small MW, and he'll have to make his movement count. He only has a 1 inch reach advantage (24 in), but Chavez has that 3 inch height advantage. The pressure will tell the story in this fight.

As some have already noticed and mentioned, Sergio takes off a round or two during his fights, and Im sure Julio will be warmed up and acclimated to Sergio's punches at that point.

This is a unification bout, but Arum more than likely pulls the strings in this one, which could effect the size of the ring. Its weird because Im sure they wouldn't have pout Julio in this fight, if they didn't think he could win. Either that, or Arum is trying to pay him back for attempting to sit out his contract this past summer.

With all of this said, Im sure they pressed for a smaller ring, to insure that Sergio doesn't have the room he needs to avoid that extra pressure of being cornered. This one will become interesting in the middle rounds...ooowee Chavez looks like he dont give a fuuuuck. In the back of my mind, Sergio may have bitten off more than he can chew in this one...

i know that look very well. laugh.gif it's about to go down!
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 10:00 PM) *
i know that look very well. laugh.gif it's about to go down!

Yep, looked like he was banging 7 gram rocks, and has been awake for the past 3 days. Dude has this weird, carnivorous look in his eyes, like he wanted to eat Sergio's organs. Weird stuff...
C.Alarid1
It's just really hard for me to imagine Chavez beating Martinez. A few years ago a lot of people were saying that Chavez was runnign from Martinez and now people are choosing him to beat Maravilla. Although I am Mexican, I wont know who to root for until the day of the fight. Part of me wants Martinez to win because he came from a poor childhood and family and I love seeing those people succeed. But we'll see the day of the fight.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 21 2012, 08:57 PM) *

LMAO I felt the same way. Then I watched the video and felt....the same way lol. I'm fuckin amped. I hope in the real thing Max Kellerman doesnt look as clueless as he does in this preview. They either need a translator or a host who knows spanish for this one. Max looks liek the lame entourages in rap battles lol
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 21 2012, 08:45 PM) *
I caught this earlier in the day and I am extremely excited about this fight. Chavez jr and Martinez had those "shit just got real" faces on lol

Martinez was mean lol, and chavez looked like he had been awake for days. The way sergio was talking it sounds like he really wants to hurt him
daprofessor
QUOTE (C.Alarid1 @ Aug 21 2012, 11:38 PM) *
It's just really hard for me to imagine Chavez beating Martinez. A few years ago a lot of people were saying that Chavez was runnign from Martinez and now people are choosing him to beat Maravilla. Although I am Mexican, I wont know who to root for until the day of the fight. Part of me wants Martinez to win because he came from a poor childhood and family and I love seeing those people succeed. But we'll see the day of the fight.

ppl forget that chavez had zero amateur career and was developing as a pro. when martinez was calling him out i thought it was bullshit because he knew chavez wasn't ready for him. i also knew it would be a matter of time because i saw him improving from fight to fight. his last three have really shown his growth. while i know none of those guys are on martinez' level....i still think chavez has what it takes to beat him. i won't be rooting for either...i'll just sit back and enjoy a great fight and will be content no matter who wins.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 22 2012, 10:51 AM) *
LMAO I felt the same way. Then I watched the video and felt....the same way lol. I'm fuckin amped. I hope in the real thing Max Kellerman doesnt look as clueless as he does in this preview. They either need a translator or a host who knows spanish for this one. Max looks liek the lame entourages in rap battles lol

i knew i wasn't alone! laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 21 2012, 10:36 PM) *
Yep, looked like he was banging 7 gram rocks, and has been awake for the past 3 days. Dude has this weird, carnivorous look in his eyes, like he wanted to eat Sergio's organs. Weird stuff...

he definitely has a crazed look about him. i know a few ppl with that same crazy ass look and they are real life killers. martinez is going to have to knock him out to win.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 22 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Martinez was mean lol, and chavez looked like he had been awake for days. The way sergio was talking it sounds like he really wants to hurt him

martinez came off a little scripted in the beginning....chavez took it all in stride.

sidenote: is this not the best idea for boxing!? a face off....we are analyzing and reading into shit that may not even be there but it definitely spurs interest in fights. it's good shit and has replaced the classic staredown that i remember from the 70's and 80's that used to get me amped about fights. if i wasn't a fan...and i saw that....it would make me want to see this fight. spread the word gentlemen....this fight will be one for the ages!!!
Hotsauce
chavez gon win
mgrover
i cant wait for the 24/7
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 22 2012, 01:36 PM) *

Yep, he was, especially when he kept bringing up Chavez sr. That's when the whole mood changed in that room. Kellerman didn't want no parts of that convo lol. I don't see this fight going the distance. Somebody gon get KTFO.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 22 2012, 10:51 AM) *
I hope in the real thing Max Kellerman doesnt look as clueless as he does in this preview. They either need a translator or a host who knows spanish for this one. Max looks liek the lame entourages in rap battles lol

THIS! I was just as confused as Max, but the difference was, my "stupid" face was not on national television. laugh.gif

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 22 2012, 02:41 PM) *
he definitely has a crazed look about him. i know a few ppl with that same crazy ass look and they are real life killers. martinez is going to have to knock him out to win.

I cant disagree with this one...Martinez has some heavy lifting to do.
bnoles4life
Lookin' crazy and being crazy are two different animals. I'm STILL going w/ Martinez and wouldn't be surprised if Junior walked into something he didn't see coming and temporarily has some Elvis going on his legs. I know it's fashionable to doubt Martinez, but I think dude has some pretty good skills and can get the job done against Junior. My biggest concern is, Sergio usually takes his "union smoke break" 'round the 6th or 7th round and if he doesn't play it smart, he could be in some trouble (as Jr. could be 180+ in that ring come fight night).
Cshel86
LMAO at "union smoke break"...
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Aug 23 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Lookin' crazy and being crazy are two different animals. I'm STILL going w/ Martinez and wouldn't be surprised if Junior walked into something he didn't see coming and temporarily has some Elvis going on his legs. I know it's fashionable to doubt Martinez, but I think dude has some pretty good skills and can get the job done against Junior. My biggest concern is, Sergio usually takes his "union smoke break" 'round the 6th or 7th round and if he doesn't play it smart, he could be in some trouble (as Jr. could be 180+ in that ring come fight night).

Can't disagree

And the fact that chavez has been complaining about leg cramps has me thinking late stoppage. This kid hasn't tasted a punch like sergios yet. And the speed he puts on it just spells more trouble for chacha.

Either way chavez can't lose in this scenario, if he loses he was suppose to, if he wins he proves himself (with the advantages in his favor but non the less)
Franchize
First thing I thought after seeing this:

neophyte7
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Aug 23 2012, 07:28 PM) *

Yeah.. looks of craziness don't win boxing matches... I just don't see how Chavez can beat Sergio... Sergio has boxing ability and power. If Sergio boxes and uses angles I don't see how he loses to Chavez who is as one dimensional as they come. At some point with his face fighting style he is going to get his chin cracked...
BoxingEinstein

Chavez by TKO in 11th. Martinez is slowing down and his age is catching up to him. Chavez is a dirty fighter with the weight flux but his dedication to his body attacking technique is almost second to none in boxing. On top of that Chavez has an iron chin, I mean i thought he was going to get KO'd by Rubio or Andy Lee but got damn he's a tough son of a legend. He attacks nonstop and knows how to effectively cut off the ring. People say Martinez's speed and power will stop Chavez in his tracks; I just don't buy it. Andy Lee and Rubio I think hit harder than Martinez but Chavez never was hurt. I like Martinez but lets be realistic, we wont truly know till fight night. Chavez is a walking redwood and I think Martinez would be wise to not get dragged into a brawl. If Martinez boxes, stays behind that beautiful jab of his and uses his angles and great footowork then he can win but I don't see it. I think Chavez loses all rounds but gets Martinez into a brawl and stops him late. #boxing
daprofessor
like i said before...if martinez doesn't get respect early and back chavez up...it's going to be a long night. yeah, martinez can outbox chavez...but can he do it for 12 rounds? i seriously doubt it. he's not had to face the kind of pressure that chavez brings in quite a while. he isn't any younger....and like a few have said...chavez can take a punch. ppl are saying that chavez is one dimensional..but what happens when martinez runs out of realestate? i don't believe he has the skills to fight on the inside. all he can do is box and when chavez cuts that ring on him and forces him into trench warfare the fight will swing chavez' way. he's going to take away those legs.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 23 2012, 09:09 PM) *
LMAO at "union smoke break"...

Shelly...you know I'm not lyin'. Like any train in the city, that "smoke break" is ALWAYS on time.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Aug 24 2012, 10:53 PM) *
Shelly...you know I'm not lyin'. Like any train in the city, that "smoke break" is ALWAYS on time.

You aint lyin' at all bro...the analogy is what killed me! laugh.gif I remember being in Savannah during the Martinez/Macklin fight, and reading that round by round thread was hilarious! Yall were wild!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Aug 21 2012, 08:05 PM) *
Chavez Junior in my view ain't shit.. Sergio should box and then take his one dimensional face fighting cruiser weight ass out. I hope Sergio puts his ass in hospital...

JCC Jr. has definitely improved, but I agree with you (except for the hospital part, but a royal beat down, yes). JCC Jr's only hopes are that the smaller ring pays off (didn't they go with a smaller ring?) and he can corner Martinez. IMO, that's his only chance.
Cshel86
Since this is the preview thread, we can keep everything in this thread about the whole Face-Off, which will air tonight. At midnight, we'll have episode 1 of Dawson/Ward 24/7, next comes 2 Days segment (JCC Jr. before the Lee bout, I presume), and the full Face-Off will afterwards. This is about the first big night we've had in boxing all month...and there's not even a fight tonight. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 25 2012, 08:56 PM) *
Since this is the preview thread, we can keep everything in this thread about the whole Face-Off, which will air tonight. At midnight, we'll have episode 1 of Dawson/Ward 24/7, next comes 2 Days segment (JCC Jr. before the Lee bout, I presume), and the full Face-Off will afterwards. This is about the first big night we've had in boxing all month...and there's not even a fight tonight. laugh.gif

word.

i just watched it. it wasn't intense the whole way through but it worked for me. martinez definitely won the verbal warfare...but chavez did not look shook up by any of that. mexicans aren't typically big shit talkers. chavez said it best...."u'll find out what kind of fighter i am on sep 15th."

still excited about the fight.
BlueMercury

PRO PREDICTION

Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 26 2012, 12:45 AM) *
word.

i just watched it. it wasn't intense the whole way through but it worked for me. martinez definitely won the verbal warfare...but chavez did not look shook up by any of that. mexicans aren't typically big shit talkers. chavez said it best...."u'll find out what kind of fighter i am on sep 15th."

still excited about the fight.

yea but actions speak louder than words
mitukczuk
One of the best Face Offs I have ever seen. True bad blood between those two...I like the attitude that Julio is bringing to the table. Young, hungry, cheeky sob showing little or no respect. Sergio is being a good counter-part - reserved, chooses words wisely. I want sergio to win, but I don't like the way he fights - doesn't care about balance and gets KD too often after making stupid mistakes. Julio can exploit that and capitalize. However, Sergio is fast and I think he will win the same way he did against Pavlik. In and out, fast combinations. I am not affraid that he will gas out. Damn he was a cyclist, his stamina is great.
mgrover
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Aug 26 2012, 09:45 AM) *
One of the best Face Offs I have ever seen. True bad blood between those two...I like the attitude that Julio is bringing to the table. Young, hungry, cheeky sob showing little or no respect. Sergio is being a good counter-part - reserved, chooses words wisely. I want sergio to win, but I don't like the way he fights - doesn't care about balance and gets KD too often after making stupid mistakes. Julio can exploit that and capitalize. However, Sergio is fast and I think he will win the same way he did against Pavlik. In and out, fast combinations. I am not affraid that he will gas out. Damn he was a cyclist, his stamina is great.

sure he was a cyclist but theres a big difference i think between conventional stamina and endurance and that transferring into the ring
bnoles4life
I like how this whole thing went down. Both seem hell bent on the fight playing out in their terms. After seeing this, I'm firmer in my decision to pick Sergio. **famous last words**
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 26 2012, 06:55 AM) *
sure he was a cyclist but theres a big difference i think between conventional stamina and endurance and that transferring into the ring

True story, but the aerobic foundation he has, due to cycling, likely enhances his ability to train longer and more effective, as his heart rate nears or reaches capacity. Moreover, he maybe more efficient with his VO2 max as a result. <----Allows him to maintain his "wits" while fatiguing or exertion.
Plah
I forgot how dumb Chavez was. Motherfucker cant have an original thought. As Sergio said, I just don't see how Julio can win that fight.
BoxingStill#1
I disagree with Serg on Julio not being on the same level as Pavlik tho..

Julio is a much more well rounded fighter
leonthegee
Sergios jealous of Chavez. They are basically the same except Serg doesnt have a hall of fame father. Both started late and had little or no ameuter background. Both were fed bums on their way to the top. The difference is Jr had a built in fanbase while Serg ate cheese sandwiches on his way to the top. That whole Faceoff reeked of jealousy to me.
Cshel86
If this goes to the cards, then Sergio can consider himself fucked. There's waaaay more that can be done with Julio's career, rather than Sergio's. When it comes down to these two, the sport of boxing will turn its back on Sergio, just to see how far Julio goes.

If you think about it...Sergio is not that far removed from being fucked during fights...

1. The circus events that happened during the Cintron fight
2. The ugly decision in the first Williams fight
3. The "knockdown" counted in the Pavlik fight
4. The "knockdown counted in the Macklin fight
5. The stripping of his title before Julio fought Zbik for it

The list goes on, but point is, Sergio needs to go for the knockout. "I'm the new Julio Cesar Chavez" came out of Julio's mouth, and as we've all seen, that's what people in the sport are pushing for.

If Julio's style gives Martinez a hard fight, or he happens to beat him (my official prediction of a TKO on JCC's favor), then he will have the boxing world's attention for sure. Hell, he had my attention in the Manfredo fight, not so much in the Rubio fight, and definitely in the Lee fight.

Mark my words here...Sergio could easily box and turn Julio all night, but Sergio's need to please the fans, coupled by his emotions and drive for revenge, will have him in a fight that he doesn't want to be in...all it takes is one moment. Seriously, Julio knows that he cant really catch Martinez, so every opportunity that he has to hit him, he will make it count. Martinez is quick, but he aint no Mayweather.
The Original MrFactor
One thing I noticed was that Chavez seemed a bit fat in the FACE OFF. I think he's one of those guys that balloons between fights. At some point thats got to catch up to him. You dont want that time to be against Martinez, who will take him into deep waters. I still dont think that Chavez has been in with the same calibur of guys that Martinez has soundly beaten. Andy Lee may have been Chavez' best opponent to date. Was Andy Lee really that good?? No. This appears to be the fight that many are gauging their hero worship on. I have no doubt that Martinez would have stopped Andy Lee too. I think Martinez will stop Chavez. However, I wouldnt be surprised to see some funny business go on here. I hope its a level playing field. That always needs to be questioned with Chavez.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.