Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT):Rios/Alverado-Donaire/Nishioka-SPOILERS
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Plah
What a motherfucking lame excuse!!!!! LOL
Gambit808
Don't like the way either fight ended premature (IMO), but I take my hat off to the fighters and the event.

It was entertaining.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 13 2012, 11:42 PM) *
am out theres no point of a video to this. am off back to bed

Later.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Plah @ Oct 13 2012, 11:43 PM) *
What a motherfucking lame excuse!!!!! LOL

That it was. Probably from the Bobfather's press kit.
Cshel86
Fuck Pat Russell! Cant stand that incompetent piece of shit motherfucker. Tried to give a damn speech after the fight, but after he dicked up the Dawson/Hopkins decision, you couldn't find his stankin' ass...dude fled the scene.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 13 2012, 11:52 PM) *
Fuck Pat Russell! Cant stand that incompetent piece of shit motherfucker. Tried to give a damn speech after the fight, but after he dicked up the Dawson/Hopkins decision, you couldn't find his stankin' ass...dude fled the scene.

Is this going to be another one where you regret what you posted the morning after?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Oct 13 2012, 11:56 PM) *
Is this going to be another one where you regret what you posted the morning after?

Im well on my way. laugh.gif

Im done with this dude though. Pat sucks...

Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 13 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Im well on my way. laugh.gif

Im done with this dude though. Pat sucks...

Ha!
fightscoreollector
How did you all have the Donaire fight at the time of stoppage??

I had it 79-72 Donaire
Jack 1000
Rios-Alverado! All-time classic little war!!!! This is the fight you show MMA people who say boxing is dead! Yea right! These guys did their best Ward-Gatti/Corrales-Castillo in there with one of the greatest give and takes we have seen in YEARS! I thought Mike was ahead, but in a fight like that, no losers! REMATCH!!!!

Jack

PS. I fast forwarded through the Donaire Nishida fight. hahahaha! Rios-Alverado should have been the main event!
mgrover
Rios already calling out Pac? Smart move? Probably since he'll be likely to get it, who'd you think would win that?
Jack 1000
Great article on THE FIGHT!!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--brand...e-alvarado.html

Jack
MaxPayne
This fight made Donaire real for me. I really expected Nishioka to give him a very hard time with his boxing ability and his chin, but Nonito was too fast and too strong.

I can't see Abner Mares beating Nonito Donaire to be honest. Even Orlando Salido, who I think is a bad, bad man probably can't hang with the speed and the angles that Nonito would bring. Celestino Caballero might have some success with the jab and movement because of his length, but I'm not sure.

In that range of opponents, I believe Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Chris John would be the guys who could conceivably beat Nonito.

Regarding Rios, well, he's basically all but confirmed to be Pacquiao's opponent next April no matter what. Even if he loses to JMM, they'll put together the Rios fight because it's a fight that will do a good number of buys.

I actually look forward to that fight. I feel like Rios will talk a lot of shit and will probably do that stuff where they make fun of Freddie Roach. Robert Garcia also looks like the type to talk some smack, so it'll likely be entertaining.

Of course, Pacquiao will strafe Rios with punches until someone has the sense to throw in the towel and spare us the brutality.
Jack 1000
Here's a link to "World War III" My title for the Rios-Alverado fight for those who haven't seen it!

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-o...-mike-alvarado/

I have told people about this fight who aren't even boxing fans! They will be after seeing this classic, which will be remembered for a lifetime!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 14 2012, 07:07 AM) *
This fight made Donaire real for me. I really expected Nishioka to give him a very hard time with his boxing ability and his chin, but Nonito was too fast and too strong.

I can't see Abner Mares beating Nonito Donaire to be honest. Even Orlando Salido, who I think is a bad, bad man probably can't hang with the speed and the angles that Nonito would bring. Celestino Caballero might have some success with the jab and movement because of his length, but I'm not sure.

In that range of opponents, I believe Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Chris John would be the guys who could conceivably beat Nonito.

Regarding Rios, well, he's basically all but confirmed to be Pacquiao's opponent next April no matter what. Even if he loses to JMM, they'll put together the Rios fight because it's a fight that will do a good number of buys.

I actually look forward to that fight. I feel like Rios will talk a lot of shit and will probably do that stuff where they make fun of Freddie Roach. Robert Garcia also looks like the type to talk some smack, so it'll likely be entertaining.

Of course, Pacquiao will strafe Rios with punches until someone has the sense to throw in the towel and spare us the brutality.

I agree. Mke and Brandon were earth-shatteringly amazing in this fight. But taking shots from Alverado in a life and death brawl and taking shots from Manny Pacquiao (or even Juan Marquez) are two different things. The only outside shot of a competitive fight for Brandon with the winner, and it's maybe a 4-1 shot is if Manny or Juan has gotten old overnight. Rios I think would have a slightly better chance against Marquez than against Manny. It's hard to believe that this is the same Brandon Rios who got his ass kicked by the opinion of all but two judges against Richard Abril!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2012, 07:19 AM) *
Here's a link to "World War III" My title for the Rios-Alverado fight for those who haven't seen it!

I have told people about this fight who aren't even boxing fans! They will be after seeing this classic, which will be remembered for a lifetime!

Jack

On rematch of "World War III" (Rios-Alverado) I had it 58-58 at the stoppage.

1.10-9 R
2.) 9-10 A
3.) 10-10
4.)9-10 A
5.) 10-10
6.) 10-9 R

Jack
mgrover
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2012, 01:19 PM) *

Jack

<3 no homo
Franchize
Great slug fest! I had Alvarado winning slightly at the time of the stoppage. I thought the stoppage was a tad bit early but I can't be mad at Pat Russell. I just thought, given the fighters and the type of fight, he should have given Alvarado a little longer. Rios is the Chris Arreola of the 140 division lmao Exciting fighter for sure but completely devoid of any type of actual skill lol He's a warrior and will provide some exciting fights until he runs into a skilled boxer...then he'll get schooled just like Chavez Jr.

P.S. Robert Garcia is an overrated trainer!
Cshel86
I think Alvarado should've studied that Abril tape a little longer. That shoulder roll of his was hilarious, so say the least. He REALLY showed the world how ineffective the shoulder roll is, when you dont use it properly.

As we all agreed on, Mike took waaay too many left hands for my liking, and Rios totally mindfucked him on more than a few occasions when he leaped and landed hooks. I assumed that Mike was trying to regroup after the clinches were broken up (or after they punched their way out), but Rios was on his ass more than he may have anticipated.

Alvarado's face was not able to sustain those punches, and I knew for a fact that Rios wasn't going to lose any power on his trip to 140. I found it funny that Rios mentioned after the fight, that he'll "carry his power up to 147" (paraphrasing)...hmmm. You can see in his eyes that he already new what his next assignment would be.

C'mon guys, had Alvarado won, do you REALLY think that he would've been a formidable opponent for Manny? Translation: A ticket seller. If anything, Alvarado's popularity is enough land him fights with guys like JMM and Bradley, but not Manny. Regardless of whether or not JMM wins in Dec., this Rios/Pacquiao fight has been in the works for at least a year...reminiscent of Bradley's trip to TR for a Pac fight, which was evident early in '11.

Alvarado will land a few more good fights, but I believe the public (including myself) gave him too much credit for the Prescott win, in which Prescott did most of the work of beating himself (gassing out). I wont lie, I thought that Rios would lose this fight, initially, but I almost forgot how tough this dude can be. Those last couple of outings with the shitty weight situations, led me to think that.

I dont see Rios fighting guys that we want him to fight, like Maidana, Matthysse, and Ortiz. Speaking of Ortiz, how many times is GBP going to carry this dude, after he dicks up big opportunities? How long does he have left on his contract? Me thinks that GBP is going to give him the boot when his time is up. The only guys I can see Rios fighting, is Lamont Peterson, maybe Jessie Vargas, JMM, and of course Manny.

Being the fact that the Vanes/Lara fight is happening, we may see signs of reconciliation from TR and GBP....well, it looks good, if the fight isn't too big. If the big fight is, then Im sure purse splits, dates, and venues will kill negotiations.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 14 2012, 02:22 PM) *
I think Alvarado should've studied that Abril tape a little longer. That shoulder roll of his was hilarious, so say the least. He REALLY showed the world how ineffective the shoulder roll is, when you dont use it properly.

As we all agreed on, Mike took waaay too many left hands for my liking, and Rios totally mindfucked him on more than a few occasions when he leaped and landed hooks. I assumed that Mike was trying to regroup after the clinches were broken up (or after they punched their way out), but Rios was on his ass more than he may have anticipated.

Alvarado's face was not able to sustain those punches, and I knew for a fact that Rios wasn't going to lose any power on his trip to 140. I found it funny that Rios mentioned after the fight, that he'll "carry his power up to 147" (paraphrasing)...hmmm. You can see in his eyes that he already new what his next assignment would be.

C'mon guys, had Alvarado won, do you REALLY think that he would've been a formidable opponent for Manny? Translation: A ticket seller. If anything, Alvarado's popularity is enough land him fights with guys like JMM and Bradley, but not Manny. Regardless of whether or not JMM wins in Dec., this Rios/Pacquiao fight has been in the works for at least a year...reminiscent of Bradley's trip to TR for a Pac fight, which was evident early in '11.

Alvarado will land a few more good fights, but I believe the public (including myself) gave him too much credit for the Prescott win, in which Prescott did most of the work of beating himself (gassing out). I wont lie, I thought that Rios would lose this fight, initially, but I almost forgot how tough this dude can be. Those last couple of outings with the shitty weight situations, led me to think that.

I dont see Rios fighting guys that we want him to fight, like Maidana, Matthysse, and Ortiz. Speaking of Ortiz, how many times is GBP going to carry this dude, after he dicks up big opportunities? How long does he have left on his contract? Me thinks that GBP is going to give him the boot when his time is up. The only guys I can see Rios fighting, is Lamont Peterson, maybe Jessie Vargas, JMM, and of course Manny.

Being the fact that the Vanes/Lara fight is happening, we may see signs of reconciliation from TR and GBP....well, it looks good, if the fight isn't too big. If the big fight is, then Im sure purse splits, dates, and venues will kill negotiations.

The way I see it this was a win win for arum. If rios lost he could have had a rematch, and if he won he looks good for pac. Either way I think if he fights pac it will be reminiscent of margarito pac. If he fights marquez I think it will resembles dias marquez.

Nishioka was everything I thought he would be. He was off for a year and hes an old champion that just came for a paycheck. He didn't fight until he was forced to and then got baited into a simple right hand counter. The one thing that surprised me was how much bigger donaire looked. If he isn't gonna fight the top prime fighters in the division them he should probably move up. But even if he does he will probably be like "Gamboa needs to get me excited, ill get bored" and proceed to take easier fights even though he insists he wants the best.

End note, what's up w/ hbo interrogating the ref for a GOOD stoppage? Alvarado was past ready to go, was not defending well and eating monster shots. That ref saved alvarado from some swelling of the brain

And how about dlh tweeting something to extent of "I dare rios to fight matthysse"
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 14 2012, 02:22 PM) *
I think Alvarado should've studied that Abril tape a little longer. That shoulder roll of his was hilarious, so say the least. He REALLY showed the world how ineffective the shoulder roll is, when you dont use it properly. As we all agreed on, Mike took waaay too many left hands for my liking, and Rios totally mindfucked him on more than a few occasions when he leaped and landed hooks. I assumed that Mike was trying to regroup after the clinches were broken up (or after they punched their way out), but Rios was on his ass more than he may have anticipated.

lmao he was shoulder rollin INTO the punches. Rios isnt very skilled, but he certainly has power. Therefore, I dot know what the fuck was going onin Alvarado's camp that made them decide to ue their biggest exposure fight to experiment with being a real boxer lol It was like watching James Toney footage in rewind while the fighter is fighting in fast forward. He put up a spirited effort but I think the fight was the battle of the bad trainers lol Alvarado's trainer was telling him "throw the right hand and step around." I was like, how about he get his fucking hands up and dodge a punch first lmao
Jack 1000
I wish we could have head Lamps and Larry last night instead of Bob Papa and Max Kellerman. Jim would have created the kind of amazing commentary that this fight deserves. And Larry would care because it was a classic!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 14 2012, 02:52 PM) *
The way I see it this was a win win for arum. If rios lost he could have had a rematch, and if he won he looks good for pac. Either way I think if he fights pac it will be reminiscent of margarito pac. If he fights marquez I think it will resembles dias marquez.

Nishioka was everything I thought he would be. He was off for a year and hes an old champion that just came for a paycheck. He didn't fight until he was forced to and then got baited into a simple right hand counter. The one thing that surprised me was how much bigger donaire looked. If he isn't gonna fight the top prime fighters in the division them he should probably move up. But even if he does he will probably be like "Gamboa needs to get me excited, ill get bored" and proceed to take easier fights even though he insists he wants the best.

End note, what's up w/ hbo interrogating the ref for a GOOD stoppage? Alvarado was past ready to go, was not defending well and eating monster shots. That ref saved alvarado from some swelling of the brain

And how about dlh tweeting something to extent of "I dare rios to fight matthysse"

Arum always wins. The only loses I remember him taking, is Oscar and Floyd leaving him. Also, the results of that first Salido/Lopez fight (where Lopez was supposed to dust Salido), as well as the rematch where cards were fixed, but Lopez got his clock cleaned.

I dont even want to talk anymore about that the Donaire fight, and his recent hesitant opponents. The only one who made a gallant effort, was Vasquez Jr. I cant stand Donaire, and I dont feel sorry for his jacked up opponent selection, thanks to Arum.

If nobody here remembers, Nonito got the big nuts last year and tried to jump ship from TR. His ass could've been on the shelf, but Bob is being nice and giving him opponents who are afraid to fight back. That was sarcasm of course, because Donaire's opponents are making him look bad. Nice one Bob, nice one. Suck it up Nonito.

You already know how I feel about Pat Russell, and maybe JBO was interrogating him because of the vivid memories of him messing up the Dawson/Hopkins shenanigans last October. As for Oscar, maybe he's doing his best to reach out to Bob to make business moves. Think about it, Matthysse isn't a big ticket seller yet, so Im sure GBP wouldn't ind being on the lesser end of negotiations with Bob for a Rios fight.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 14 2012, 05:28 PM) *
lmao he was shoulder rollin INTO the punches. Rios isnt very skilled, but he certainly has power. Therefore, I dot know what the fuck was going onin Alvarado's camp that made them decide to ue their biggest exposure fight to experiment with being a real boxer lol It was like watching James Toney footage in rewind while the fighter is fighting in fast forward. He put up a spirited effort but I think the fight was the battle of the bad trainers lol Alvarado's trainer was telling him "throw the right hand and step around." I was like, how about he get his fucking hands up and dodge a punch first lmao

laugh.gif

Yep, bad idea to experiment in this fight...especially with a guy who doesn't care about being behind on the cards. That shoulder roll stunk, and that big ass block head of Alvarado's was getting popped with those lefts, like it was nobody's business. His corner sounded like John Scully in the Dawson fight, and Tony Morgan in Berto's corner for the Ortiz fight. Too many voices, pure panic, and underlying frustration after some rounds.

If anything, he should've been stepping to Brandon's left to take some sting off of that left hand that he fell in love with getting hit with. Dude was a sucker that left hand. Well damn, Mike's trainer did say "throw the right and step around"...which meant that Mike's punch would've land on Rios's LEFT side, then he was supposed to step around to Rio's LEFT. Ohhhhh...so the motherfucker wasn't listening then. Okay cool, I get it now. LOL.

I was looking for you on here last night to talk about his trainer, though I dont quite know if he is a hometown trainer. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I wish we could have head Lamps and Larry last night instead of Bob Papa and Max Kellerman. Jim would have created the kind of amazing commentary that this fight deserves. And Larry would care because it was a classic!

I agree Jack! I cant stand Jim and Larry, but Papa and his lack of enthusiasm (until a knockdown happens) and his untrained eyes, just blows it every time. I got this weird pain in my side when I heard his voice at the beginning of the program.
daprofessor
i guess i'm alone on the rios/alvarado fight. it wasn't that spectacular. what i saw(again) was how easily rios can be out boxed by very basic boxing skills. alvarado's imitation shoulder roll was pathetic. it was clear that rios was stronger and getting the better of the inside exchanges. if alvarado stood behind that jab...things might have turned out different. both alvarado and rios will be easy work for pac or jmm. i can't see rios beating many at 140. this was his high point. he won't beat bradley, jmm, pac...and arum won't serve him up to garcia, matthysse or judah. cashing him out against pac...and getting pac back to the "top" seems to be the idea. i called this months ago. toprank....send me my check!!!
daprofessor
oh yeah...nishioka turned out to be better than i thought. he gave donaire way too much respect. i think he should have let his hands go. he landed some decent shots after the first knockdown. he's a solid puncher and knows how to exploit mistakes. waiting for donaire to make one was a mistake. he should have forced exchanges to get that mistake. sure he would have put himself in harms way sooner...but it would have been worth the gamble.

donaire is very disappointing. this talk of not being able to get up for rigondeaux reminds me of roy before he got ko'd by tarver. i don't want to see donaire fight another no hoper who i've never heard of. i've known of rigondeaux since the amateurs and i would argue that he is more popular and skilled that donaires last 4 opponents. the only acceptable opponents for donaire at this point are mares, moreno, agbeko or rigondeaux. i don't want to hear any more talk of him being pound for pound anything until he proves that he's the best in his own division.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 14 2012, 06:05 PM) *
Arum always wins. The only loses I remember him taking, is Oscar and Floyd leaving him. Also, the results of that first Salido/Lopez fight (where Lopez was supposed to dust Salido), as well as the rematch where cards were fixed, but Lopez got his clock cleaned.

I dont even want to talk anymore about that the Donaire fight, and his recent hesitant opponents. The only one who made a gallant effort, was Vasquez Jr. I cant stand Donaire, and I dont feel sorry for his jacked up opponent selection, thanks to Arum.

If nobody here remembers, Nonito got the big nuts last year and tried to jump ship from TR. His ass could've been on the shelf, but Bob is being nice and giving him opponents who are afraid to fight back. That was sarcasm of course, because Donaire's opponents are making him look bad. Nice one Bob, nice one. Suck it up Nonito.

You already know how I feel about Pat Russell, and maybe JBO was interrogating him because of the vivid memories of him messing up the Dawson/Hopkins shenanigans last October. As for Oscar, maybe he's doing his best to reach out to Bob to make business moves. Think about it, Matthysse isn't a big ticket seller yet, so Im sure GBP wouldn't ind being on the lesser end of negotiations with Bob for a Rios fight.

laugh.gif

Yep, bad idea to experiment in this fight...especially with a guy who doesn't care about being behind on the cards. That shoulder roll stunk, and that big ass block head of Alvarado's was getting popped with those lefts, like it was nobody's business. His corner sounded like John Scully in the Dawson fight, and Tony Morgan in Berto's corner for the Ortiz fight. Too many voices, pure panic, and underlying frustration after some rounds.

If anything, he should've been stepping to Brandon's left to take some sting off of that left hand that he fell in love with getting hit with. Dude was a sucker that left hand. Well damn, Mike's trainer did say "throw the right and step around"...which meant that Mike's punch would've land on Rios's LEFT side, then he was supposed to step around to Rio's LEFT. Ohhhhh...so the motherfucker wasn't listening then. Okay cool, I get it now. LOL.

I was looking for you on here last night to talk about his trainer, though I dont quite know if he is a hometown trainer. laugh.gif

I agree Jack! I cant stand Jim and Larry, but Papa and his lack of enthusiasm (until a knockdown happens) and his untrained eyes, just blows it every time. I got this weird pain in my side when I heard his voice at the beginning of the program.

My issue is, dont start talking to him about his footwork if he isnt even doing the most elementary thing in boxing to defend himself. I agree, he was circling the wrong way. He also failed to create space once his combinations were done. He also squared up his body when he was throwing his jab. But damn all that. You can tell him that later. Just tell him to get his fuckin hands up lmaoooooooo The way that fight was going, the first fighter that employed any sort of quality defense would have won the fight.

I hate to admit it. While I like Bob Papa, Lampley's enthusiasm was needed for that fight. I wont concede Larry Merchant though. I cant think of oe scenario where him being around is a good thing lol.
The Original MrFactor
Is Donaire beating good fighters and making them look like they are overmatched OR is he beating guys that are truly overmatched?
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 14 2012, 06:48 PM) *
i guess i'm alone on the rios/alvarado fight. it wasn't that spectacular. what i saw(again) was how easily rios can be out boxed by very basic boxing skills. alvarado's imitation shoulder roll was pathetic. it was clear that rios was stronger and getting the better of the inside exchanges. if alvarado stood behind that jab...things might have turned out different. both alvarado and rios will be easy work for pac or jmm. i can't see rios beating many at 140. this was his high point. he won't beat bradley, jmm, pac...and arum won't serve him up to garcia, matthysse or judah. cashing him out against pac...and getting pac back to the "top" seems to be the idea. i called this months ago. toprank....send me my check!!!

I like this analysis. I felt the announcers were forcing it with the whole instance classic approach. It was a nice slugfest but honestly I got more amped during the ajose Lucas fight. I would have loved Emmanuel to call this fight, his emphasis is never forced and his energy when he does get excited is very genuine but he has the cancer treatment going on =\.... The fact that arum was saying the tailor made winner would get pac might have played into it too
Jack 1000
Some good points,

I think some may be reluctant to put Rios-Alverado in classic fight status because neither of these guys are skilled. But for me, to be honest, I love a brawl like this, and will always prefer to watch this type of fighter over a masterful boxer. The brawler fighter. Two brawler fighters are just more exciting to me. This is the kind of stuff you show to MMA naysayers of boxing who think boxing is dead. And considering some of the disappointing fights we have had in recent years, thank you Brandon and Mike for giving us this great thriller. It wasn't scientific, it wasn't pretty, but it was beautiful. Boxing needs more fights like this to get the general public interested in the sport again!

I don't know if Arum will do a rematch, as much as I would love to see one! He will look to give Rios to the Pacquiao-Marquez IV winner, and unless Manny or Juan has aged over-night , Rios will be stopped on a TKO most likely around the 10th round. I would rather see a Rios-Alverado II. In the old days of boxing, Rios-Alverado would have a trilogy easily. Could you imagine if this fight had been on prime time commercial TV!? I would rather see great brawls like this between two evenly matched fighters rather than using one guy as a stepping stone for a millionaire fighters payday. It's better for the fans to give them the best fights who will produce two sided action. Most important, Rios-Alerado has the general public talking about boxing again, in a positive way, and (for once) it doesn't involve Manny or Floyd. And trying to get the general public to talk about boxing in a positive way these days is like pulling teeth. Brandon Rios and Mike Alverado gave us an incredible fight, and that's what is most important.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 14 2012, 10:50 PM) *
I like this analysis. I felt the announcers were forcing it with the whole instance classic approach. It was a nice slugfest but honestly I got more amped during the ajose Lucas fight. I would have loved Emmanuel to call this fight, his emphasis is never forced and his energy when he does get excited is very genuine but he has the cancer treatment going on =\.... The fact that arum was saying the tailor made winner would get pac might have played into it too

the ajose/lucas fight was pretty damn good!!! i'd like to see ajose again but i think that fight took a lot out of him. matthysse destroys rios. yeah...steward is usually more genuine when he isn't letting lamps and merch steer him. i wish him well...because he is missed on the telecast. i'm serious...arum needs to cut us a check!!! we are responsible for reviving pacs career if he can get past jmm. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Some good points,

I think some may be reluctant to put Rios-Alverado in classic fight status because neither of these guys are skilled. But for me, to be honest, I love a brawl like this, and will always prefer to watch this type of fighter over a masterful boxer. The brawler fighter. Two brawler fighters are just more exciting to me. This is the kind of stuff you show to MMA naysayers of boxing who think boxing is dead. And considering some of the disappointing fights we have had in recent years, thank you Brandon and Mike for giving us this great thriller. It wasn't scientific, it wasn't pretty, but it was beautiful. Boxing needs more fights like this to get the general public interested in the sport again!

I don't know if Arum will do a rematch, as much as I would love to see one! He will look to give Rios to the Pacquiao-Marquez IV winner, and unless Manny or Juan has aged over-night , Rios will be stopped on a TKO most likely around the 10th round. I would rather see a Rios-Alverado II. In the old days of boxing, Rios-Alverado would have a trilogy easily. Could you imagine if this fight had been on prime time commercial TV!? I would rather see great brawls like this between two evenly matched fighters rather than using one guy as a stepping stone for a millionaire fighters payday. It's better for the fans to give them the best fights who will produce two sided action. Most important, Rios-Alerado has the general public talking about boxing again, in a positive way, and (for once) it doesn't involve Manny or Floyd. And trying to get the general public to talk about boxing in a positive way these days is like pulling teeth. Brandon Rios and Mike Alverado gave us an incredible fight, and that's what is most important.

Jack

the naysayers never knew what they were talking about and i stopped paying them mind years ago. u either love boxing...or u don't. i think we've had some great fights over the last few years. it was a thriller...in the rocky balboa sense i guess.
Jack 1000
I am confident in saying this:

The six and a half rounds of Rios-Alverado were equal in their intensity to the opening round of Hagler-Hearns. Rios-Alverado was six and a half rounds of the first round of Hagler-Hearns!

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 15 2012, 05:46 PM) *
I am confident in saying this:

The six and a half rounds of Rios-Alverado were equal in their intensity to the opening round of Hagler-Hearns. Rios-Alverado was six and a half rounds of the first round of Hagler-Hearns!

Jack

equal in intensity...no doubt. equal in skill...hardly. i think what made hagler/hearns so special is that they were considered very high skill/high caliber fighters. no disrespect to rios or alvarado...but neither guy fits either category.
Cshel86
I love how the commentators were REALLY trying to put us in the mind of Gatti/Ward laugh.gif I mean seriously, we were already expecting a barn burner, no need to shove it down our throats.

Still laughing at that poo-poo shoulder roll of Alvarado. LOL
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 15 2012, 08:53 PM) *
I love how the commentators were REALLY trying to put us in the mind of Gatti/Ward laugh.gif I mean seriously, we were already expecting a barn burner, no need to shove it down our throats.

Still laughing at that poo-poo shoulder roll of Alvarado. LOL

it looked like something he was experimenting with. his trainer let him know immediately..."this shit is not working (mimicking the shoulder roll) get those hands up!" so i'm guessing he wasn't the one responsible for teaching him. the smallest adjustments would have made a world of difference for him...but apparently they didn't have that knowledge.

i used to like max...but lately i'm starting to grow tired of him. his over the top fake enthusiasm and trying to create controversy where there is none is just plain annoying. he's still a little easier on the ears than lamps and merch though. laugh.gif

flazi
alvarado did not listen to his corner. they told him angles and he provided none.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 16 2012, 02:19 PM) *
it looked like something he was experimenting with. his trainer let him know immediately..."this shit is not working (mimicking the shoulder roll) get those hands up!" so i'm guessing he wasn't the one responsible for teaching him. the smallest adjustments would have made a world of difference for him...but apparently they didn't have that knowledge.

i used to like max...but lately i'm starting to grow tired of him. his over the top fake enthusiasm and trying to create controversy where there is none is just plain annoying. he's still a little easier on the ears than lamps and merch though. laugh.gif

I watched it again last night, and everybody and their ancestors were in Mike's corner telling him to step to the side. As big as his head is, you'd think he had some room up there to retain simple instructions, but I guess not.

He TOTALLY played into Rios's fight, and I honestly believe that he was playing into the whole idea of the fight being the next big slugfest for boxing fans. Just threw some great punches, but he stood there and waited for Rios to return fire, and return fire he did.

I don't have a problem with Kellerman, but I admit, I used to despise this guy. I didn't start liking his commentary, til the Morales/Maidana fight. I think Bob Papa just brings down the whole crew when he calls fight...his very existence during the telecast stinks. When I see him, I immediately get in the mindset that the fight wasn't taken seriously by the network. Am I the only one that feels that way?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 16 2012, 03:10 PM) *
I watched it again last night, and everybody and their ancestors were in Mike's corner telling him to step to the side. As big as his head is, you'd think he had some room up there to retain simple instructions, but I guess not.

He TOTALLY played into Rios's fight, and I honestly believe that he was playing into the whole idea of the fight being the next big slugfest for boxing fans. Just threw some great punches, but he stood there and waited for Rios to return fire, and return fire he did.

I don't have a problem with Kellerman, but I admit, I used to despise this guy. I didn't start liking his commentary, til the Morales/Maidana fight. I think Bob Papa just brings down the whole crew when he calls fight...his very existence during the telecast stinks. When I see him, I immediately get in the mindset that the fight wasn't taken seriously by the network. Am I the only one that feels that way?

i don't mind papa but i think he doesn't really add excitement. he seems more suited for baseball or golf. laugh.gif i guess he's there to pitch everyone else meatballs. he usually asks roy very good questions to get roy talking...so i kind of like that combo.
BoxingEinstein

Rios will be a force in 140 division. He can beat Garcia, Khan, Peterson. Only threats to him are Lucas and Marquez. I see Rios Marquez being made before Pacquiao and Rios.

Donaire did what I expected, don't know how people thought Nishioka had a great chance. Knew he would respect Donaire's power way too much. The last guy who fought Donaire had his jaw broken in two places.

Let's get Rios vs Marquez win or lose vs Manny or Rios vs Garcia.

Donaire vs Rigo/Mares vs Moreno winner
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 16 2012, 02:18 PM) *
i don't mind papa but i think he doesn't really add excitement. he seems more suited for baseball or golf. laugh.gif i guess he's there to pitch everyone else meatballs. he usually asks roy very good questions to get roy talking...so i kind of like that combo.

I think Bob tries, but he's light years from Lamply. And I know, people hate Lamps for shaking the pom-poms for the HBO contracted fighter for the last several years. However, pom-pom shaking for this war would have made it even MORE electric. If HBO is not using the original broadcast team for most BAD cards, I assume it is because of a money saving plan. I think Ross Greenberg put the plan in effect that Larry, Jim and Emanuel were gonna be the traditional guys doing some cards for HBO boxing and Papa, Kellerman, and Jones were gonna do the B.A.D cards. I also suspect that because Larry and Lamps are getting old, that who knows, they may have asked for less time. I think HBO is trying to appeal to a younger demographic with Papa, Max, and Roy on cards and its not working.

Or even better, could you imagine Col. Bob Sheridan working for HBO and calling that fight!!!!?? That fight was heart attack type excitement. Lamps or Col. Bob could provide that. Bob Papa can't. I mean Bob sure he was excited, but it wasn't Jim Lamply or Bob Sheridan excitement. The only thing is, Col Bob sucks up to Don King's fighters and the alphabet belts. He'll always give close rounds to King's fighter and try to persuade the audience that this is the case when it isn't. What was the fight where he had King's fighter way ahead, and he was so off-base? And the judges had it really close like it should have been? I can't think right now what that fight was.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 16 2012, 04:27 PM) *
I think Bob tries, but he's light years from Lamply. And I know, people hate Lamps for shaking the pom-poms for the HBO contracted fighter for the last several years. However, pom-pom shaking for this war would have made it even MORE electric. If HBO is not using the original broadcast team for most BAD cards, I assume it is because of a money saving plan. I think Ross Greenberg put the plan in effect that Larry, Jim and Emanuel were gonna be the traditional guys doing some cards for HBO boxing and Papa, Kellerman, and Jones were gonna do the B.A.D cards. I also suspect that because Larry and Lamps are getting old, that who knows, they may have asked for less time. I think HBO is trying to appeal to a younger demographic with Papa, Max, and Roy on cards and its not working.

Or even better, could you imagine Col. Bob Sheridan working for HBO and calling that fight!!!!?? That fight was heart attack type excitement. Lamps or Col. Bob could provide that. Bob Papa can't. I mean Bob sure he was excited, but it wasn't Jim Lamply or Bob Sheridan excitement. The only thing is, Col Bob sucks up to Don King's fighters and the alphabet belts. He'll always give close rounds to King's fighter and try to persuade the audience that this is the case when it isn't. What was the fight where he had King's fighter way ahead, and he was so off-base? And the judges had it really close like it should have been? I can't think right now what that fight was.

Jack

honestly, i would love telecast with absolutely zero commentary....just the ring and crowd noise with mic's in the corners. maybe mic some ringside observers just to hear their response to the action...but not much more. it would give u the affect of actually being there...minus the drunk assholes spilling their drinks and shouting in your ears. laugh.gif the network that does this first will become my favorite!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Oct 16 2012, 04:13 PM) *
Rios will be a force in 140 division. He can beat Garcia, Khan, Peterson. Only threats to him are Lucas and Marquez. I see Rios Marquez being made before Pacquiao and Rios.

Donaire did what I expected, don't know how people thought Nishioka had a great chance. Knew he would respect Donaire's power way too much. The last guy who fought Donaire had his jaw broken in two places.

Let's get Rios vs Marquez win or lose vs Manny or Rios vs Garcia.

Donaire vs Rigo/Mares vs Moreno winner

rios may be able to beat khan and possibly peterson. he beat the other brother....but i think garcia, matthysse, marquez, pac, bradley all beat him by ko or lopsided decision. he's going to make pac look like a beast again if pac can get past marquez.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 16 2012, 04:57 PM) *
it would give u the affect of actually being there...minus the drunk assholes spilling their drinks and shouting in your ears.

There's fun in it, if you don't get to see this at a fight....just make sure the shoe isn't on the other foot. Lol
Jack 1000
Good post-fight article here:

https://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/slow-...arado-stoppage/

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 16 2012, 07:12 PM) *

great article. never questioned his judgment. that was a very good stoppage. i was actually with his call in the bhop/dawson 1 fight too.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 16 2012, 07:12 PM) *

Great article, Pat Russell made the right move. It was a great night for boxing and put Bam Bam right in the mix at 140.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 16 2012, 05:01 PM) *
rios may be able to beat khan and possibly peterson. he beat the other brother....but i think garcia, matthysse, marquez, pac, bradley all beat him by ko or lopsided decision. he's going to make pac look like a beast again if pac can get past marquez.

I don't know how you absolutely think Garcia can beat him. Them looping punches won't help him when Rios makes it an inside fighting game. Khan doesn't hit nowhere near as hard as Rios but within 3 rounds he made Garcia's face look like it went through a cat fight. Rios stop Danny within 10 rounds, Stops Peterson within 12. I think Matthysse beats him by tko late. Marquez would be a close fight and I'm leaning towards Rios by late stoppage. Pacquiao would stop Rios within 11 rounds or win by decision. Bradley UD's him. Luckily Bradley or Pac isn't in his weight class...neither is Marquez.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Oct 16 2012, 07:59 PM) *
I don't know how you absolutely think Garcia can beat him. Them looping punches won't help him when Rios makes it an inside fighting game. Khan doesn't hit nowhere near as hard as Rios but within 3 rounds he made Garcia's face look like it went through a cat fight. Rios stop Danny within 10 rounds, Stops Peterson within 12. I think Matthysse beats him by tko late. Marquez would be a close fight and I'm leaning towards Rios by late stoppage. Pacquiao would stop Rios within 11 rounds or win by decision. Bradley UD's him. Luckily Bradley or Pac isn't in his weight class...neither is Marquez.

khan was fast and i've seen him drop ppl with single shots. i've not seen rios do that to anyone so i don't get how u think rios' big, wide, slow shots will catch danny. danny is as solid as they come and can actually box. as alvarado proved with the very little bit of boxing skills he has...u can outbox rios easily. danny has heavy hands. i can't see rios going the distance in that one especially after all the punishment he took in this last fight.

lamont is a lot better than anthony...but he does like to fight in the pocket so he'll give rios some opportunity.

rios doesn't see round 6 against matthysse...same with jmm and pac.

bradley schools him easily and may stop him mid to late rounds.

rios, like his buddy margarito, only has a size and strength advantage...against guys his own size with real skill, he's going to get eaten up.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 16 2012, 07:19 PM) *
i was actually with his call in the bhop/dawson 1 fight too.

God I hope you're kidding.
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Oct 16 2012, 06:59 PM) *

I thought Danny got headbutted on the Khan fight..? He looked pretty beaten up against morales tho. I think Danny is underratted but I wouldn't mind seeing him against rios
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.