Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manny Steward
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mitukczuk
Boxing has lost yet another another legend.

What are your best memories of Emanuel Steward guys ? For me there are three - his now memorable yelling during the 9th round of Ward vs. Gatti I, his "OH MY GAWD" during the 6th round of Ortiz vs. Berto and of course his chit chat with Lampley when the camera was pointed on Ms. Jackson's more than revealing dress during Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight...."That dress" !

How do you think Wlad will cope with the situation in the ring ?

RIP !
checkleft
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Oct 25 2012, 09:24 AM) *
Boxing has lost yet another another legend.

What are your best memories of Emanuel Steward guys ? For me there are three - his now memorable yelling during the 9th round of Ward vs. Gatti I, his "OH MY GAWD" during the 6th round of Ortiz vs. Berto and of course his chit chat with Lampley when the camera was pointed on Ms. Jackson's more than revealing dress during Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight...."That dress" !

How do you think Wlad will cope with the situation in the ring ?

RIP !

He passed away?!?
Gambit808
RIP
pimpfighterROQ
Holy fuck! Wasn't he just commentating on the Ward vs Dawson fight? that was a month ago! Damn. R.I.P. Sad day for boxing.
BigFightFan
It's sad to see Emanuel go, I enjoyed his knowledgeable commentary on HBO. My best memory if him was working the corner during the Tyson/Lewis bout." Knock that MFer out" it was classic and I had never seem him so hype in the corner.
HBO will have a tough time finding someone to fill his shoes.
Cshel86
Damn this hit home, and I'm really gonna miss this dude.

I miss his 11th hour predictions, made-up words, and his overall ruling of the fight. No matter how much I made fun of him, it was still something to look forward to during fights.

Wow, this is a big loss in the boxing community. This one really hit me harder than the other untimely deaths over the past year or so.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 25 2012, 11:53 AM) *
Damn this hit home, and I'm really gonna miss this dude.

I miss his 11th hour predictions, made-up words, and his overall ruling of the fight. No matter how much I made fun of him, it was still something to look forward to during fights.

Wow, this is a big loss in the boxing community. This one really hit me harder than the other untimely deaths over the past year or so.

I agree. Sad.....very sad.

He was the only one that made any sense when we have to deal with Lampley and Merchant...He was the only ones whos opinion I would actually listen to.

Unless Roy Jones or Teddy Atlas is around HBO commentary just went from a Rap artist to a Hip Hop artist with the Worlds greatest Phantom Punch caller.
BigFightFan
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/emanuel-ste...eports-of-death

Stewart's sister says he hasn't passed away. Not sure what is going on
mitukczuk
Let's just hope it realy isn't true. I dig through the internet for more information before I created this, but nothing about the statement not being true.

Man, that would be good news. Let's wait for something official !
Cheesey1
I hope that he hasn't but if he has, R.I.P. Condolences to his family and friends. Always seemed to me to be a true gentleman and a boxing strategist of the highest order. A great ambassador for the sport.
checkleft
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Oct 25 2012, 12:10 PM) *
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/emanuel-ste...eports-of-death

Stewart's sister says he hasn't passed away. Not sure what is going on

I heard this too, that's why I was asking.. why would someone like his protege fuck around and say something like this if he hasn't passed yet?
Franchize
I'm so confused. So many conflicting reports. So much irresponsible journalism going on.
mitukczuk
Its strange seeing all these statements from people that are close to him. Klitschko borthers said its true, then deleted the statement. Steward's sister now says it's not true. I am confused...
sduck
And I came to say RIP....
Cshel86
Man the internet has killed off a slew of public figures/celebrities in the past couple of years. laugh.gif

Hope this isn't true.
mitukczuk
I think I may as well take the statement from his sister as the true official one. Let us hope he will get through his illness then.
sduck
It's been confirmed, he passed away. RIP Manny
The Original MrFactor
Well, we knew he was sick because Wlad had to replace him as his chief trainer for his upcoming bout. My heart goes out to the Steward family.
Franchize
While I didnt always agree with his strategies as a trainer or his opinions as an analyst, Steward was a boxing savant. Especially in this era where any good samaritan wiy access to local talent can pick up mitts and call themselves a trainer,Mannys Kronk gym put the science in sweet science. Back in the days where your clout as a trainer was earn through your boxing knowledge and not by you having a rising star fighter. God rest his soul. Condolences to his loved ones.

Between losing him n Bert Sugar, boxing is truly losing its historians and champions for the purist side of the sweet science. While Jim Lampley aggravates me, Ive always admired his unapologetic stance for wearing his heart on his sleeve when a loved one is lost. I can only imagine he may be a wreck on their next broadcast...and rightfully so. Sad day for boxing.
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 25 2012, 05:56 PM) *
While I didnt always agree with his strategies as a trainer or his opinions as an analyst, Steward was a boxing savant. Especially in this era where any good samaritan wiy access to local talent can pick up mitts and call themselves a trainer,Mannys Kronk gym put the science in sweet science. Back in the days where your clout as a trainer was earn through your boxing knowledge and not by you having a rising star fighter. God rest his soul. Condolences to his loved ones.

Between losing him n Bert Sugar, boxing is truly losing its historians and champions for the purist side of the sweet science. While Jim Lampley aggravates me, Ive always admired his unapologetic stance for wearing his heart on his sleeve when a loved one is lost. I can only imagine he may be a wreck on their next broadcast...and rightfully so. Sad day for boxing.

Couldn't agree more. He is very good at saying farewell to boxings lost ones, I don't think theres anyone better for this job. He and lampley did many events together.... If Jim can even get through his farewell. Boxing has taken a big hit
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 25 2012, 03:24 PM) *
Man the internet has killed off a slew of public figures/celebrities in the past couple of years. laugh.gif

Hope this isn't true.

YEAH....INCLUDING HIP-HOP!
daprofessor
this saddens me deeply. i have always admired manny steward. he was much more than just a great trainer. his contribution to the world of boxing will never be forgotten. he's done so much for so many....there will be a huge void in his absence but his spirit will live on through me and the many lives that he has touched in the boxing world. my condolences to his family, friends and fans. may he rest in peace.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Oct 25 2012, 12:00 PM) *

He was the only one that made any sense when we have to deal with Lampley and Merchant...He was the only ones whos opinion I would actually listen to.

Unless Roy Jones or Teddy Atlas is around HBO commentary just went from a Rap artist to a Hip Hop artist with the Worlds greatest Phantom Punch caller.

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Oct 25 2012, 07:08 PM) *
YEAH....INCLUDING HIP-HOP!

Agreed!

This dude has done waaaay too much for the boxing community, to go this soon. Dudes like Merchant and Arum, just stick around, but I guess it's true about those that you dont like, never go anywhere.

Just listening to Steward reminisce about shit during fights, dude has trained A LOT of these guys when they were amateurs, known them since they were kids, and hell, he probably gave most of them rides to the gym. LOL

This dude will be missed, especially by him losing it during those Gatti/Ward fights, and the recent Berto/Ortiz fight last year when he TOTALLY lost his shit! "Awwww my GOD!" laugh.gif

PS: Let's not act like that 12th round of Toney/Jirov didn't make you a fan of Manny, let alone pay more attention to that fight. It literally gave life to that fight.
Jovi
Trade steward for Arum. sad.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Oct 25 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I doubt teddy will be allowed anywhere near an hbo commentary table lol. He keeps it "real", Dave chappelle real.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Rest In Peace. Emanuel Steward will be forever in the hearts of boxing fans.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 25 2012, 09:03 PM) *
Agreed!

This dude has done waaaay too much for the boxing community, to go this soon. Dudes like Merchant and Arum, just stick around, but I guess it's true about those that you dont like, never go anywhere.

Just listening to Steward reminisce about shit during fights, dude has trained A LOT of these guys when they were amateurs, known them since they were kids, and hell, he probably gave most of them rides to the gym. LOL

This dude will be missed, especially by him losing it during those Gatti/Ward fights, and the recent Berto/Ortiz fight last year when he TOTALLY lost his shit! "Awwww my GOD!" laugh.gif

PS: Let's not act like that 12th round of Toney/Jirov didn't make you a fan of Manny, let alone pay more attention to that fight. It literally gave life to that fight.

That "awwww my God" moment was arguably my most memorable Manny moment. That and when he said "that dress" the night Floyd fought Cotto. Lmao

Theres something very unfair about the fact that we lost Dundee, Sugar and Manny but Merchant, King and Arum are alive and well. I think its God testing us. Are we going to let corruption kill the sport or will the purity in boxing resurface? We need to begin uplifting the sport via the very principles that made it so great to begin with.
Jack 1000
RIP Manny,

You are one of the greatest trainers and legends of our great sport. A true humanitarian and great friend to all the great fighters you taught and inspired.

Remembered forever.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ Oct 25 2012, 11:01 PM) *
Trade steward for Arum. sad.gif

THIS

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 26 2012, 01:50 AM) *
That "awwww my God" moment was arguably my most memorable Manny moment. That and when he said "that dress" the night Floyd fought Cotto. Lmao

Theres something very unfair about the fact that we lost Dundee, Sugar and Manny but Merchant, King and Arum are alive and well. I think its God testing us. Are we going to let corruption kill the sport or will the purity in boxing resurface? We need to begin uplifting the sport via the very principles that made it so great to begin with.

Lol, yes. Steward does have a way of standing out, whether he loses his shit, make up words, or make wild comments that you wont catch the first time around. Though Merchant usually tells bad jokes and gives bad analogies, it usually adds some type of weird spice to big fights.

I've appreciated Steward's analysis for fights, whether they're on point or at the 11th hour.
BoxingFan86
RIP
mgrover
this is bad, people say boxings dying because of MMA, bullshit, its slowly fading because things like this happen, and people are to forget the ancestors of the sport.
BrutUalBK
While I'm not trying to piss on the man's grave, you have to say the good along with the bad to have the true measure of a man. With that said then here goes:

Steward was the Father of the most bogus excuses for losing a fight, he came up with the "Weight Drained" theory (after TH was KO'd by SRL in their first fight) and the "Vaseline" theory (after Klits was KO'd by Brewster).

He often did the Uncle Tom shuffle when before fights when he was asked to pick a winner but he would never do so when there is a fighter that Merchant and Lampley preferred, he'd always say something like "I'm in a mess on trying to pick a winner in this bout" or "we'll just have to wait and see".

It seems he was often afraid to pick the over fighter over the HBO house fighter but I'll always recognize him as a great Trainer despite his waffling on picking a winner and his manufactured/evented excuses whenever his best fighters lost a fight.
Franchize
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 31 2012, 03:20 PM) *
While I'm not trying to piss on the man's grave, you have to say the good along with the bad to have the true measure of a man. With that said then here goes:

Steward was the Father of the most bogus excuses for losing a fight, he came up with the "Weight Drained" theory (after TH was KO'd by SRL in their first fight) and the "Vaseline" theory (after Klits was KO'd by Brewster).

He often did the Uncle Tom shuffle when before fights when he was asked to pick a winner but he would never do so when there is a fighter that Merchant and Lampley preferred, he'd always say something like "I'm in a mess on trying to pick a winner in this bout" or "we'll just have to wait and see".

It seems he was often afraid to pick the over fighter over the HBO house fighter but I'll always recognize him as a great Trainer despite his waffling on picking a winner and his manufactured/evented excuses whenever his best fighters lost a fight.

I will say, I was in the minority of people that agreed with Floyd when he called Manny and Uncle Tom. In retrospect, that is a bit harsh of a comment. That said, Manny did pander to the HBO agenda. The stories of how he and Floyd Jr's beef started were the catalyst for me looking at Manny in a different light. From what I hear, Manny wanted to train Floyd after Floyd Sr went to jail. When Floyd decided to stick with his uncles, Manny's pride was hurt and he continued to slander Mayweather's name every chance he got.

Anyone know the specifics of his problems with Floyd Sr.?
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 1 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I will say, I was in the minority of people that agreed with Floyd when he called Manny and Uncle Tom. In retrospect, that is a bit harsh of a comment. That said, Manny did pander to the HBO agenda. The stories of how he and Floyd Jr's beef started were the catalyst for me looking at Manny in a different light. From what I hear, Manny wanted to train Floyd after Floyd Sr went to jail. When Floyd decided to stick with his uncles, Manny's pride was hurt and he continued to slander Mayweather's name every chance he got.

I've heard that too but never saw anything concrete on it so I can't say for sure but it was evident that there was some sort of tension there between them though Steward always respected Floyd's abilities in the ring.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 31 2012, 02:20 PM) *

1. never heard that theory from him....but it happens.

2. that was wlad's story....not manny's. i remember manny speaking against that theory.

3. most of the time he did that...i shared his view on the matter. there are tough fights sometimes and picking a winner isn't always clear cut. u know if fighter A does this...then he should win...but if fighter B does this...he's got a shot too. he used to look at and cover all bases. it's what trainers do. i can't call that waffling....or uncle tom shuffle.

as for him being afraid...i don't know about that...but he would say what he thought....then lampley or merchants over-powering/over-bearing personalities would try to shoot down his view or offer theirs...i think he just agreed to keep things going instead of arguing like big george used to do.

what i found funny was his...."this is exactly how i thought it was going to go...." i am guilty of that sometimes. as a trainer....and a fighter....u play out several scenarios and map out your plan accordingly. if i've done that the way i'm supposed to, because there are soooo many variables in a fight...one of those scenarios is bound to be right....so, "this is exactly how i thought it would go!" laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 1 2012, 12:48 PM) *

never heard floyd(jr or sr) say anything bad about manny....or vice versa.

i do recall james toney speaking harshly about him though....but that's what jt does. laugh.gif he talks shit 24/7.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 27 2012, 04:24 PM) *
this is bad, people say boxings dying because of MMA, bullshit, its slowly fading because things like this happen, and people are to forget the ancestors of the sport.

boxing is not dying. mma has absolutely nothing to do with boxing and vice versa.

i do agree that old timers passing on is bad for the sport. but in manny's case....he's passed on what he knows to sooooo many ppl and they are carrying on his legacy i'm sure. there are a ton of guys who have worked with him that we have never even heard of that will emerge in the future as disciples of manny whether they claim it or not. there is lineage in all of this just like martial arts. i myself have never fought pro...but i have worked with several trainers that i learned several things from over the years. i've also befriended old timers just to benefit from their knowledge. i know if i've done this....i cannot be the only one. i won't say the sport is dying....because even in manny's passing....his legacy still lives on in the lives he's touched both near and far.

ppl forget....but he didn't bring andy lee up from the amateurs. lee was the product of KRONK GYM IRELAND!!!! he sought out manny from ireland to make that connection happen. what that tells me is that this man's reach was that great during his life time. there's no question that his memory will live on.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 2 2012, 07:24 PM) *
never heard floyd(jr or sr) say anything bad about manny....or vice versa.

i do recall james toney speaking harshly about him though....but that's what jt does. laugh.gif he talks shit 24/7.

They had a big time beef for years. That's why it was so surprising when he came out and hugged both Manny and Lampley after the Cotto fight.

As for Manny and Sr's beef, there was a story on the main page a few days back about them squashing their beef. I never knew what theres was about.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 5 2012, 09:13 AM) *
They had a big time beef for years. That's why it was so surprising when he came out and hugged both Manny and Lampley after the Cotto fight.

Maybe he was just happy about that whopping $32M that he racked up before he left the locker room. I know I'd be happy if the fight was over and I was able to spend that kind of money...I know the excitement I feel about my measly check every other week (measly compared to Floyd's of course) cool.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 6 2012, 08:34 AM) *
Maybe he was just happy about that whopping $32M that he racked up before he left the locker room. I know I'd be happy if the fight was over and I was able to spend that kind of money...I know the excitement I feel about my measly check every other week (measly compared to Floyd's of course) cool.gif

there's also that happiness of coming out on the winning end of a really tough fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.