Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: please don't go...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
i just want to get this off my chest and let my filipino brothers know that there is more to boxing than pacquiao. i know he's fallen...but u still have donaire. i never really had faith in mercito gesta...sorry. but seriously, there are plenty of other great boxers that aren't filipino. become a fight fan...not a fighter fan. there is so much to love about boxing. educate yourselves on the sport! don't abandon it...or the boards for that matter. feel free to ask questions and i will be more than happy to help you find answers. boxing is beautiful. stick around!!!
Plah
+1, But I personally think they'll leave when he retires. Post this too when Floyd suffers his first L (if he loses).
daprofessor
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 11 2012, 05:18 PM) *
+1, But I personally think they'll leave when he retires. Post this too when Floyd suffers his first L (if he loses).

floyd fans are typically band wagoners that have been around for a while. a lot of those guys were roy fans previously. broner is in the que for them...they won't be leaving anytime soon. laugh.gif
Gambit808
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 06:46 PM) *
floyd fans are typically band wagoners that have been around for a while. a lot of those guys were roy fans previously. broner is in the que for them...they won't be leaving anytime soon. laugh.gif

And That's the Double Truth... Ruth! (Samuel L. Jackson voice)

It seem to me like these fans were on a decline since the 3rd fight with Marquez, then they had something to balk about in the Bradley fight, and NOW THIS......

(sigh) I'm gonna miss those overly animated excuses with a typo in every sentence fans lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 11 2012, 06:56 PM) *
And That's the Double Truth... Ruth! (Samuel L. Jackson voice)

It seem to me like these fans were on a decline since the 3rd fight with Marquez, then they had something to balk about in the Bradley fight, and NOW THIS......

(sigh) I'm gonna miss those overly animated excuses with a typo in every sentence fans lol

how to think like a pactard: remove logic/reason....add a dash of homotions....presto!!!! laugh.gif
Gambit808
Wus up with Skip Bayless though (speaking of excuses) if there 1 sport espn should not have Skip touch on, is any combat sports. I don't even wanna hear him talk about WWE lol
Gambit808
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 06:58 PM) *
how to think like a pactard: remove logic/reason....add a dash of homotions....presto!!!! laugh.gif

Exactly lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 11 2012, 07:00 PM) *
Wus up with Skip Bayless though (speaking of excuses) if there 1 sport espn should not have Skip touch on, is any combat sports. I don't even wanna hear him talk about WWE lol

why would anyone even listen to that guy? it's clear he doesn't know shit about boxing. if i'm watching espn...the only guy who i respect his opinion is teddy atlas...or any of their guess commentators like bhop or ward. other than that....the rest of them fools haven't got a clue.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 04:47 PM) *
i just want to get this off my chest and let my filipino brothers know that there is more to boxing than pacquiao. i know he's fallen...but u still have donaire. i never really had faith in mercito gesta...sorry. but seriously, there are plenty of other great boxers that aren't filipino. become a fight fan...not a fighter fan. there is so much to love about boxing. educate yourselves on the sport! don't abandon it...or the boards for that matter. feel free to ask questions and i will be more than happy to help you find answers. boxing is beautiful. stick around!!!

Ever talked to a brick wall???
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2012, 08:05 PM) *

laugh.gif

i'm hoping that in their moment of desperation...they hear me.
wiley
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 06:46 PM) *

So true, I am one of these guys... Although I am a previous fan of Ali, SRR, SRL, Hagler, Herns, Duran, Tyson, Holyfield, etc... However I do love the sweet science and always will.
daprofessor
QUOTE (wiley @ Dec 11 2012, 08:25 PM) *
So true, I am one of these guys... Although I am a previous fan of Ali, SRR, SRL, Hagler, Herns, Duran, Tyson, Holyfield, etc... However I do love the sweet science and always will.

i'll be the first to say that i am a fan of all of those great fighters as well...but over the years, i've come to realize that i am a fan of boxing more than i am a fan of any of them. sure...they led me to love the sweet science....but i do not believe any of them (collectively or individually) are bigger than the sport itself.

welcome to the forum! smile.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 11 2012, 08:15 PM) *
laugh.gif

i'm hoping that in their moment of desperation...they hear me.

I hope they do too. You have my support here sir!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2012, 08:05 PM) *

Leave it to Shelly!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 11 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Leave it to Shelly!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

fuck.gif

I hope Filipino fans are better than those MC Hammer fans. Man, when that dude went broke and flopped, people flaked and acted like he was a disgrace to music. Surely Manny's fans are more loyal to him and the sport as a whole.
checkleft
Im guilty of being a huge Floyd fan but my favorite fighter right now is Martinez. The way he has accomplished what he has just demands respect... Ive been fine when Floyd has been gone and ill be fine when he retires. I watch Lo pro fights for the hell of it any time they are on I even really enjoy watching sparring. When Floyd and manny are gone I will be perfectly fine, they gave me many memorable moments. But I will always be a bigger fan of boxing than of a fighter. That's probably where my dislike for pac started in recent years, everybody made him seem like he was bigger than the sport no matter what he did or what he was potentially covering up.
sduck
I'm guessing this is a troll thread lol

Also, everyone is a fan of fighters, anyone that denies this is full of it.
Franchize
QUOTE (wiley @ Dec 11 2012, 08:25 PM) *

Guilty as charged as well. Although I was never a Leonard fan.

Before Floyd, I was a big Roy Jones fan. I was also a fan of Whitaker and Toney. I also liked Manny back in the No Fear fire trunks days lol

And for a period of time I was a big Jeff Lacy fan (hangs head in shame)

I'll enjoy boxing post Floyd but I wont lie like it won't be the same. More than his skill, I admire Floyd's intellect in the ring. Hopefully Broner will bring that but I just dont see fighters think like Floyd does much anymore. I'm a big Andre Ward fan and have been for a while. Him and Floyd are a dying breed. I kinda like the kid Bryant Jennings, even though I think he's more suited as a cruiserweight.

To the original topic. I'll take it a step further. I don't think Manny is done by any means. Let's face it. Their aren't too many fighters with the ring IQ of a Marquez, that will take advantage of Manny's gaping holes in his fight game. I think Manny has 2 solid years of fights in him and I think it's a shame that so many people, especially Filipinos, turned their back on him after all he's done for their culture both in the Phillipines and in the US. Guys get knocked out. It happens.
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 12 2012, 05:33 AM) *
I'm guessing this is a troll thread lol

Also, everyone is a fan of fighters, anyone that denies this is full of it.

i am a fan of some fighters more than others....

but if ur grandma has an amazing jab with good head movement and can counter punch the shit out of a crack head...i'm watching.
duwdu
QUOTE (wiley @ Dec 11 2012, 09:25 PM) *

This your list is so true of me as well, wiley.

As for daprof's original statement on the emerging lineage, I'm not quite sold on Broner as yet...he's quite good, but he hasn't blown me out yet, even with the DeMarco fight (to me, he was missing a lot of his punches in that fight.) And the comparison by some of that fight to Gatti-Mayweather is way out of line, IMO. Having said that, I still don't know who else takes over from Mayweather other than Broner in the current dispensation, when it comes to the style of boxing that I truly admire.

P34c3
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 12 2012, 02:34 PM) *
i am a fan of some fighters more than others....

but if ur grandma has an amazing jab with good head movement and can counter punch the shit out of a crack head...i'm watching.

laugh.gif

Only you Professor! I'd watch granny too, but I'd seriously be at the edge of my seat, hoping that she doesn't get hit with a flush shot.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2012, 02:52 PM) *
laugh.gif

Only you Professor! I'd watch granny too, but I'd seriously be at the edge of my seat, hoping that she doesn't get hit with a flush shot.

then it's not only me! laugh.gif i know a few others that are the same way. anyone remember that chick that got dropped by the bus driver? me and all my friends critiqued the shit outta that video. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.