Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo vs Mayweather almost finalized for Cinco de Mayo weekend?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Kratza
According to Canelo's facebook page this fight is almost finalized and we could see the two face off on May 4th which is a Mexican holiday.
What do you guys think about it?

EDIT: Schaefer has spoken about the matchup skip to the 3 minute mark to hear
mitukczuk
Canelo is not ready. As all Floyd's opponents, hes got only that punchers chance. Until I hear something official - preferably from Floyd, I am not gonna pay any extra attention to that.
daprofessor
this is going to be interesting.
Franchize
I think Canelo has far more than a puncher's chance. In fact, while I think Mayweather is the best fighter in the world, I think he may be making a mistake by having THIS fight be his comeback fight (if there's any truth to it). I think people are selling Canelo's skills short because of his opponents. He is very talented IMO.
aTYpicalTYrant
I am surprised he's willing to fight this kid this early. It makes sense monetarily but this is a rather dangerous fight. While GBP's Foghorn Leghorn is well protected he is still much younger, naturally bigger, and believes in body shots. I'm not saying I believe the kid wins. But he has one hell of a punchers chance if FmJ is the victim of ring rust.
Plah
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I rather see him face Canelo than Guerrero to be honest. I know Canelo hasn't done anything to deserve a chance to fight Floyd. But at 154, who has? (I know Floyd hasn't done shit at 154 either). And it's better to face Canelo in his comeback fight than lets say... Sergio.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 14 2012, 01:32 PM) *
I think Canelo has far more than a puncher's chance. In fact, while I think Mayweather is the best fighter in the world, I think he may be making a mistake by having THIS fight be his comeback fight (if there's any truth to it). I think people are selling Canelo's skills short because of his opponents. He is very talented IMO.

I swear had I read your post I wouldn't have responded with the same exact words lol
daprofessor
canelo, like cotto...is able to apply intelligent pressure. if floyd doesn't utilize lateral movement and his superior footwork and chooses to lay on the ropes, canelo will have his moments. at this stage in his career canelo is a much more effective body puncher than cotto was when he faced floyd. his defense leaves a lot to be desired and that ultimately will be the difference. cotto made floyd miss more than we've ever seen floyd miss. canelo can't/won't do the same in that department. if canelo can't break floyd down to the body to set up the clean head shots early...he's going to be in for a long night. he has to set a pace that i don't believe he's capable of setting. he likes to fight in spots. if u give floyd time to think...you're in trouble.
daprofessor
i guess my question is, how do u follow this up? who is next? sergio?
VJones
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 03:04 PM) *

I think he fights Sergio at 160 for another title/weight-class in September or May 2014 and calls it quits. Or maybe I'm dreaming.
sduck
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 14 2012, 01:32 PM) *

^ this. Don't understand all the hate for Canelo, he's very solid.
Kratza
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 14 2012, 08:53 PM) *
^ this. Don't understand all the hate for Canelo, he's very solid.

For sure, people gotta remember he's still young, 22 years old and hes already a very solid fighter, maybe even an elite caliber fighter although he hasn't face the type of opposition that could put him in that category
jvo1800
This is a very dangerous fight IMO, but it is also a high risk/high reward fight at the same time. Its obvious that Floyd is more skilled as a fighter, but it's also a credible fight because Canelo is far from being a scrub so i think Floyd wont have to worry about the criticism of opposition in this bout. Cinco de mayo is the perfect day to have this fight against a Mexican opponent in order to maximize the money that could be generated. I see Floyd picking him apart, but he definitely cant get caught flush on the chin or do that lean against the ropes bullshit he did against Cotto
daprofessor
QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 14 2012, 03:41 PM) *
I think he fights Sergio at 160 for another title/weight-class in September or May 2014 and calls it quits. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

that would be a dream come true and win or lose...a major statement by a guy trying to be the best ever.
VJones
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 05:50 PM) *
that would be a dream come true and win or lose...a major statement by a guy trying to be the best ever.

Agreed. Major statement!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 02:04 PM) *

it depends how many times he fights
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Dec 14 2012, 05:18 PM) *
it depends how many times he fights

he said 2 more according to one of the articles on the front page.
Hotsauce
is this true?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Dec 14 2012, 05:20 PM) *
is this true?

no. we're making this up. laugh.gif

Marcus
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 14 2012, 01:42 PM) *
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I rather see him face Canelo than Guerrero to be honest. I know Canelo hasn't done anything to deserve a chance to fight Floyd. But at 154, who has? (I know Floyd hasn't done shit at 154 either). And it's better to face Canelo in his comeback fight than lets say... Sergio.

What more do you have to do when you beat the number one ranked JMW and arguably top 10 P4P fighter in the division? lol

I think this will be another JCC Jr. vs. Martinez display. The nurtured veal will get eaten by the experienced bull. I dont think Floyd has the power to KO Canelo, but Canelo will get exposed and tagged badly. Floyd will most likely be training with Big Floyd again to so i dont think he'll fuight in the pocket again like he did with Cotto. He will make it as pretty as possible and capitalize on Canelo's every mistake. I think Floyd's a lot hungry then people think. And for some reason i think he's been putting in work under the radar. Floyd's not dumb. He's watched fighter rise and fall.

Canelo is definitely coming to win as well too though. So this will be an exciting fight.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 05:22 PM) *

lol im saying this could be premature
BigFightFan
Canelo is the one, he might just take Floyd's 0. I'm going with youth, size, and power in this fight. All of that coupled with the fact that Canelo has a lot of confidence. FMW is in trouble!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Dec 14 2012, 06:09 PM) *
lol im saying this could be premature

i think it is...

i can't see floyd coming back to fight canelo in may. i think it's more likely that he'll face guerrero then canelo in september should everything go according to plan.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 14 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Canelo is the one, he might just take Floyd's 0. I'm going with youth, size, and power in this fight. All of that coupled with the fact that Canelo has a lot of confidence. FMW is in trouble!

Canelo is a solid fighter. But what did he do to earn a fight against Floyd? Nothing imo. Ortiz had the youth, size and power too...and he is a southpole..and look how Floyd tagged the shit outta him. Everyone keeps talking about Floyd being slower and using less footwork..personally I don't see any dramatical changes.

Anyway...Canelo is not ready. Not yet.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Kratza @ Dec 14 2012, 11:30 AM) *
According to Canelo's facebook page

Fuck him!
Musashi100
i think floyd win easy over canelo. only think that can change my mind is if he goes against austin trout. that fight will show me weather hes ready for floyd or not.
Jovi
Marquez showed how even at 39 that age isn't a factor if you prepare properly. I see Mayweather has been working out, and he seems to have gotten bigger, so maybe he isnt as small compared to canelo as before, and Mayweathers punches are so crispy. When people fight him its like they are fighting a CPU on very hard in a video game, if he actually got alil bit more power for 1 punch KO?!?! He may have just gotten that much better.

I didnt think before and he would be moving up to fight Canelo and Martinez, those are the 2 most dangerous and marketable opponents that he would actually get alot of credit for beating. But if he has gotten bigger I dont see why he wouldnt. Pacquiao im sure would get beat by Mayweather now so not as dangerous but still obviously very marketable. The rest of Floyd's fights should be for his legacy first and money second. But if he has gotten bigger, and better, then he might just be unstoppable.

Mayweather would pick apart canelo easily. Slowly but surely. Canelo is pretty strong and is getting better but he will get hit too much, and when he gets aggressive and misses he will get hit some more. His jab isn't as good as Cotto's and he isnt southpaw, he may try to push Mayweather on the ropes, but Mayweather should gonna be circling him all night . Mayweather has good defense when he is on the ropes, so when he is on the ropes and canelo opens up, he will eat that right hand. Mayweathers right hand probably wouldn't look better than on this fight. UD or TKO for mayweather

Martinez and Mayweather, dammmm mirror match. Martinez is taller. I think what mayweather should do for this match that would F with Martinez badley is go in south paw too. Throw martinez off and by the time he is given to adjust, Mayweather decimates in probably 6 to 8 rounds. Martinez has ok guard, he mostly goes off reflexes, mayweather better keep that guard high and his right hook solid. It would be Genius.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao..haaha Easy TKO, mayweather hits him with a few right hands. Pacquiao gets aggressive, Pacquiao gets caught multiple times. it depends how long pacquiao can take it for.
Genius
If the fight happens, I'm laying money down on Canelo. He wins by controversial decision...all he has to do is make it competitive.
promo
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 14 2012, 06:22 PM) *

I think Canelo is more than a solid fighter he definitely is a dangerous opponent. He hits hard and does damage when he releases his hands. I think Floyd did good and this time he's fighting young talent. Not the easiest fight for floyd but the best fight for canelo. I like both fighters but I think canelo can take this fight if he fights smart. Weather is a difficult opponent and this will be a good fight.
CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Dec 15 2012, 07:52 AM) *
Canelo is a solid fighter. But what did he do to earn a fight against Floyd? Nothing imo. Ortiz had the youth, size and power too...and he is a southpole..and look how Floyd tagged the shit outta him. Everyone keeps talking about Floyd being slower and using less footwork..personally I don't see any dramatical changes.

Anyway...Canelo is not ready. Not yet.

My thoughts exactly. Experience beats Youth.
MaxPayne
How hard or easy this fight is for Floyd totally depends on what style he chooses to adopt. Stay on the outside and box ? Easy work.

Mix it up on the inside ? I think he still owns, but he'll have to take some punishment for his troubles.
sduck
Anyway. Canelo is solid, this will not be an easy fight for Floyd in any way. This would be hard like the Cotto fight, not the same fight, but hard.
checkleft
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Dec 15 2012, 08:47 AM) *
How hard or easy this fight is for Floyd totally depends on what style he chooses to adopt. Stay on the outside and box ? Easy work.

Mix it up on the inside ? I think he still owns, but he'll have to take some punishment for his troubles.

I think he will have to take punishment in either style

QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 15 2012, 12:28 PM) *
Anyway. Canelo is solid, this will not be an easy fight for Floyd in any way. This would be hard like the Cotto fight, not the same fight, but hard.

yes and Canelo will impose his size like cotto did.
Kratza
QUOTE (Marcus @ Dec 14 2012, 10:59 PM) *
What more do you have to do when you beat the number one ranked JMW and arguably top 10 P4P fighter in the division? lol

I think this will be another JCC Jr. vs. Martinez display. The nurtured veal will get eaten by the experienced bull. I dont think Floyd has the power to KO Canelo, but Canelo will get exposed and tagged badly. Floyd will most likely be training with Big Floyd again to so i dont think he'll fuight in the pocket again like he did with Cotto. He will make it as pretty as possible and capitalize on Canelo's every mistake. I think Floyd's a lot hungry then people think. And for some reason i think he's been putting in work under the radar. Floyd's not dumb. He's watched fighter rise and fall.

Canelo is definitely coming to win as well too though. So this will be an exciting fight.

When did Canelo beat a number one ranked JMW and top 10 P4P fighter? I hope you're not talking about Mosley or Josesito Lopez because Mosley wasn't even top 100 P4P when he fought Canelo and Lopez? What did he do to deserve P4P recognition?
BoxingStill#1
Heres the kicker folks, Canelo gets hit..... Floyed has his way with him from lets say rnd 7 on...
mgrover
Floyd outboxes this amatuer
sduck
Yall really hate Canelo.
Kratza
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 16 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Yall really hate Canelo.

I don't see why either?
Kratza
What do you guys think to this aswell?
He talks about the fight around the 3 minute mark on the video
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 16 2012, 11:55 AM) *
Yall really hate Canelo.

Dont hate Canelo by any means.. its just Floyed isnt the punching bag he use to fighting..

He got skills no doubt
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 16 2012, 11:55 AM) *
Yall really hate Canelo.

I just hate how GBP is insulting our intelligence with these numerous smoke screens in using other fighters' name to build him up, then put him in there with a lesser opponent.

There aren't any top 154 lbers, but to try and make us believe that this dude is, when they're only building his name and denying us the right to see how good he really is, is a blatant insult to our intelligence.

This dud hasn't fought anybody with a pulse or anybody that's a TRUE Jr. MW, but yet, GBP is making it look like guys really need to fight him, when in fact, it should be the other way around. I hated how they went about the whole Cotto/Trout situation.

They were too much of a chickenshit to put him in there with Trout. Doesn't this sound weird..."Canelo is sitting ringside, waiting for the winner of Cotto/Trout". Shouldn't it be the other way around??? Shouldn't Cotto have been sitting ringside for the winner of Canelo/Trout? I know that Cotto's team picked Trout, but GBP should've just kept quiet and had Canelo face someone else, until the Cotto/Trout fight happened and the results subsided.

I blame Cotto's team for being dumb and putting him in there with a guy like Trout...who had ALL of the physical advantages coming into the fight. Now GBP (being the vultures that they are when it comes to Canelo), decides to come in, make Canelo look more than what he truly is (at Cotto's expense), and start their nonsense about a big fight...not even mentioning Trouts name, but rather giving Cotto a chance to heal after a beating, and still yelling Mayweather's name.

Canelo is becoming a star, and he IS a fighter, so Im sure he wouldn't mind fighting anybody. GBP is making him look like a real chickenshit right now. It's funny they make him seem like "the man to beat" when they go on about the "Canelo sweepstakes" and so forth, but as soon as a Lara, Trout, or any other dangerous guy is mentioned, "suddenly" they backtrack and say that they're moving him along slowly.

They are mentioning these big names (Floyd and Cotto), because Cotto was staring at the face of a bad matchup in Trout, and Floyd was nowhere to be found (as usual). That sounds like a real safe play, if you ask me. Watch Floyd come back and possibly pick someone other than Canelo, then they'll put Canelo in there against K-9 or some other bum on the undercard of that fight. They want no parts of Molina, Lara, Golovkin, or anybody else.
mgrover
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 16 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Yall really hate Canelo.

I have literally nothing against him, but my fucking days he needs to fight at least a top ten JMW cause this shit is embarassing, and the way WBC say nothing is even worse. People like to blame Top Rank for doing shit like this when GB aren't any better.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 16 2012, 04:51 PM) *
I have literally nothing against him, but my fucking days he needs to fight at least a top ten JMW cause this shit is embarassing, and the way WBC say nothing is even worse. People like to blame Top Rank for doing shit like this when GB aren't any better.

Great post. At least chavez Jr beat one top guy in his division before getting in the ring with the top guy. Me and my friends always jokingly say that Canelo is trying to clean out the lower divisions, so when we saw him ringside at the Khan fight I was like "uh oh looks like Canelo is gonna get the winner as his next opponent".

For gods sake they were considering MAIDANA for his next fight! At that point Canelo has to realize he brings the money, he is the one who is going to be looking like a joke, he needs to put his foot down and say "I want to earn some respect by fighting top fighters in my division". What's gbp gonna say? Sorry but no? We would rather lose out on your money and risk you sitting out for a lengthy period of time?
MaxPayne
I agree 100%.

I think Canelo has talent, pretty good skills and a great chin.

Having said that, he really hasn't beaten legitimate competition at 154 lbs.

He should have fought Trout for sure and the winner of that fight should have fought Cotto. Cotto earned that much by losing a good fight to Floyd.

Had Canelo and Trout fought, I believe Canelo would have won a by split decision robbery because no one wants to stop the gravy train, least of all judges. However, I would rather that we had that kind of a fight where we can see that one guy clearly won, etc. Hell, at least it sets up intrigue for a rematch and a possible Marquez still KOTFO scenario.

Why not fight Bundrage or Carlos Molina ? Those are 2 guys who are ranked and have looked good in their last few fights.

The more you think about it, the more you realize why an argument can be made that Canelo is not an elite fighter, period. Just because people THINK he beats other fighters in his division doesn't mean shit would go down that way.

Get in the ring and make some believers damnit.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 16 2012, 03:52 PM) *
I just hate how GBP is insulting our intelligence with these numerous smoke screens in using other fighters' name to build him up, then put him in there with a lesser opponent.

There aren't any top 154 lbers, but to try and make us believe that this dude is, when they're only building his name and denying us the right to see how good he really is, is a blatant insult to our intelligence.

This dud hasn't fought anybody with a pulse or anybody that's a TRUE Jr. MW, but yet, GBP is making it look like guys really need to fight him, when in fact, it should be the other way around. I hated how they went about the whole Cotto/Trout situation.

They were too much of a chickenshit to put him in there with Trout. Doesn't this sound weird..."Canelo is sitting ringside, waiting for the winner of Cotto/Trout". Shouldn't it be the other way around??? Shouldn't Cotto have been sitting ringside for the winner of Canelo/Trout? I know that Cotto's team picked Trout, but GBP should've just kept quiet and had Canelo face someone else, until the Cotto/Trout fight happened and the results subsided.

I blame Cotto's team for being dumb and putting him in there with a guy like Trout...who had ALL of the physical advantages coming into the fight. Now GBP (being the vultures that they are when it comes to Canelo), decides to come in, make Canelo look more than what he truly is (at Cotto's expense), and start their nonsense about a big fight...not even mentioning Trouts name, but rather giving Cotto a chance to heal after a beating, and still yelling Mayweather's name.

Canelo is becoming a star, and he IS a fighter, so Im sure he wouldn't mind fighting anybody. GBP is making him look like a real chickenshit right now. It's funny they make him seem like "the man to beat" when they go on about the "Canelo sweepstakes" and so forth, but as soon as a Lara, Trout, or any other dangerous guy is mentioned, "suddenly" they backtrack and say that they're moving him along slowly.

They are mentioning these big names (Floyd and Cotto), because Cotto was staring at the face of a bad matchup in Trout, and Floyd was nowhere to be found (as usual). That sounds like a real safe play, if you ask me. Watch Floyd come back and possibly pick someone other than Canelo, then they'll put Canelo in there against K-9 or some other bum on the undercard of that fight. They want no parts of Molina, Lara, Golovkin, or anybody else.

isn't this what oscar did with his own career? he often dangled names like trinidad(the rematch), winky wright and vernon forrest to promote himself. he's just repeating the formula.

i agree that canelo should have fought trout or lara for a shot at cotto. cotto's own ambition did him in on that one...but i have to give him props for facing the guy everyone is avoiding. imo...trout has now become the man to beat at 154.
Hotsauce
you have a lot of people saying canelo is a threat to floyd.

we know what people are going to say if floyd beats him.
daprofessor
it makes no sense for floyd to fight canelo on cinco de mayo and then fight guerrero in september on mexican independence day. i think the reverse will happen.
Marcus
QUOTE (Kratza @ Dec 16 2012, 08:21 AM) *
When did Canelo beat a number one ranked JMW and top 10 P4P fighter? I hope you're not talking about Mosley or Josesito Lopez because Mosley wasn't even top 100 P4P when he fought Canelo and Lopez? What did he do to deserve P4P recognition?

I wasn't talking about Canelo. I was referring to Floyd and addressing Plah's comment " (I know Floyd hasn't done shit at 154 either)"

Floyd moved up from his division and beat the #1 JMW (Cotto). He doesn't really have to do anything in the division. He has nothing to prove. That says a lot. Canelo on the other hand hasn't done shit but beat a 140 pounder and a 40 year old mosley that hasn't won his last 3 fights at WW.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 14 2012, 01:42 PM) *

Floyd moved up to 154 and set PPV records twice...not only that, but he landed the highest guaranteed payday in boxing history at $32M in the Cotto fight. I believe he did enough...but from a competition standpoint (which Im sure you're making a point of)...no, he hasn't done anything. Is there any true, record-breaking, challenge at 154 for ANY fighter?
Plah
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 17 2012, 11:03 PM) *
Floyd moved up to 154 and set PPV records twice...not only that, but he landed the highest guaranteed payday in boxing history at $32M in the Cotto fight. I believe he did enough...but from a competition standpoint (which Im sure you're making a point of)...no, he hasn't done anything. Is there any true, record-breaking, challenge at 154 for ANY fighter?

Doing something at '54 for me is.. fighting and beating the majority of these guys: Trout, Lara, Molina, Cotto, Canelo, Kirkland, etc. I know at that time Cotto was the only money fight... but doing something in a division for me is clearing the division. Andre Ward style. I don't know how these commissions allow people new to the division to fight for titles... shouldn't you be unranked? then, after beating some top 10 guys at that division, you get your title shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.