Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Merchant leaving HBO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
sduck
http://www.bing.com/search?q=larry+merchant&form=msnwis

What do you guys think? Good or bad news?
BigFightFan
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 15 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Bad news! First Emanuel steward now Larry merchant is stepping away, shit will not be the same. I can't agree with everything merchant says but he is very entertaining. Although he is leaving, he will continue to announce the big bouts.
Genius
He was great back in the day, got worse over the years but he always said funny shit. Max tries hard to come up with witty stuff ala Larry, but I'm sure he'll get better with time.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 15 2012, 11:36 AM) *
Bad news! First Emanuel steward now Larry merchant is stepping away, shit will not be the same. I can't agree with everything merchant says but he is very entertaining. Although he is leaving, he will continue to announce the big bouts.

Where did you see that he will continue to announce big bouts? I read that he will continue to write about boxing major events, but this Saturday will be the last fight that Larry will cover for HBO. Love him or hate him, Larry brought a personified image of calling it like it is, not seen since the days of Howard Cosell calling big boxing matches in the days where Pay-Per-View caliber fights today were broadcast on commercial TV. He was far less of a cheerleader for HBO than the others on the team, and did not care if his opinion was a dissenting one from the network. (i.e "Delahoya's enterence music sucks) which got him suspended for one telecast. Could you imagine Lamply or Kellerman saying that? LOL!

However, in the later years, especially the last five, Larry seemed increasingly bored at HBO and seemed to care less and less about being there. Only when a fight was a thriller did he seem to care anymore. He is probably stepping down at the right time and will be missed for the unquire qualities he brought to the network for 35 years!

Jack
Cheesey1
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 15 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Christmas came a bit early this year.
mitukczuk
Mhm...well, what can I say. Sometimes, straight up shit came out of his mouth. But I will miss him behind that microphone, thats for sure. What I will not miss is his smart dissrespectful ass asking questions as if the fighters were descendants of Socrates himself. His ego was writing checks his ass couldn't cash.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 15 2012, 01:36 PM) *
Where did you see that he will continue to announce big bouts? I read that he will continue to write about boxing major events, but this Saturday will be the last fight that Larry will cover for HBO. Love him or hate him, Larry brought a personified image of calling it like it is, not seen since the days of Howard Cosell calling big boxing matches in the days where Pay-Per-View caliber fights today were broadcast on commercial TV. He was far less of a cheerleader for HBO than the others on the team, and did not care if his opinion was a dissenting one from the network. (i.e "Delahoya's enterence music sucks) which got him suspended for one telecast. Could you imagine Lamply or Kellerman saying that? LOL!

However, in the later years, especially the last five, Larry seemed increasingly bored at HBO and seemed to care less and less about being there. Only when a fight was a thriller did he seem to care anymore. He is probably stepping down at the right time and will be missed for the unquire qualities he brought to the network for 35 years!

Jack

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=8744910

In this article on espn he says he has it in his contract to parachute in out when something occurs.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 15 2012, 02:22 PM) *
http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=8744910

In this article on espn he says he has it in his contract to parachute in out when something occurs.

Like "Fan Man!" hahahahahaha!!!

Jack
BigDDatHomey
The It's almost as if Mayweather has gone from Hip Hop to Rap...really?

Peace out Larry...don't come back
BigFightFan
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Dec 15 2012, 07:28 PM) *
The It's almost as if Mayweather has gone from Hip Hop to Rap...really?

Peace out Larry...don't come back

Lol! He had to be running out of material when used that line.
HaydelHammer
Won't miss him at all. Guy was critical of great boxers for years live on air and praised zero defensive slug fest between two cans expending themselves in a way HE saw fitting. To him that was boxing. To me it was stupid.

He criticized guys who mastered the art of boxing because they didn't fight the way HE wanted them to fight.

So long ....GTFO..won't be missed here at all. Guy did ZERO for boxing the last decade PLUS imo. He was nothing more than a fan bitching about how he didn't like (majority of the time) or liked(rarely) something according to him and what HE liked.

BYE!!!!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Dec 15 2012, 08:38 PM) *
Won't miss him at all. Guy was critical of great boxers for years live on air and praised zero defensive slug fest between two cans expending themselves in a way HE saw fitting. To him that was boxing. To me it was stupid.

He criticized guys who mastered the art of boxing because they didn't fight the way HE wanted them to fight.

So long ....GTFO..won't be missed here at all. Guy did ZERO for boxing the last decade PLUS imo. He was nothing more than a fan bitching about how he didn't like (majority of the time) or liked(rarely) something according to him and what HE liked.

BYE!!!!

Perfectly said. Ironically I have an article just waiting to go that's going to deal with that. Merchant isn't the only one making a mockery of the sport.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 15 2012, 02:19 PM) *
Christmas came a bit early this year.

laugh.gif

His presence will be missed in big fights, but his bullshit has ran it's course. He obviously had ringside seats to David vs Goliath, so if he doesn't see a guy's organs hanging out during a fight, then he deems it boring.
MaxPayne
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Fuck Merchant and his mama.
Amandla
About time. He had a fair innings and has laid down the gauntlet.

Kellerman sucks, Lampley is worse...get Tyson trained up, sit him next to RJJ....Im happy.

sduck
Tyson on commentary? Da fuk?
HaydelHammer
Roy is good. Tarver is good. Kevin Kelly also.

Shane Mosley ...ehhhh..not good imo. Like to see Paul Malignaggi live call one or two to judge him. Zab was ok the couple fights I saw his call, not bad imo. James Toney..NOPE. Bernard was ok.

Larry won't be missed at all IMO.
Jovi
Kellerman is the best of the white boys

RJJ is great with the fighter's input, George Foreman is great too.

Fuck Merchant, I miss Steward sad.gif, i wish he could have seen Marquez/Pac 4.

My favorite 3 for announcing a fight were Kellerman, Steward, and RJJ. Foreman for RJJ is acceptable...There's just something about Jim lampely that makes me wanna spar him haha, and if Merchant were to give me my after fight interview, he might have gotten hit a few times. Merchant was too critical for some people but then would back off of others, going through mayweather's fights, i see how annoying he can is.

Teddy atlas should be on one of the big networks, i like him announcing in FightNight Champion.
daprofessor
larry merchant's departure is long overdue. his opinion, blatant disrespect, pompous, arrogance and disdain for highly skilled boxers had no place on hbo imo. his miseducation of the viewers and journalists has done damage to the sport he claims to love. george foreman put it best...."you see boxing larry...i know boxing."
Franchize
I guess this is the part where I talk about his good qualities and act like he'll be missed even though we didn't always agree with his ways. Sorry. Used all that when Steward passed. Other than the fact that he's become synonymous with major Boxing events, there is nothing I will miss about that man's commentating. It took years for his words to come out his mouth, and when they did, often times they probably should have stayed in. Thank you HBO for this early Xmas gift. My birthday is in February. I expect to see Lampley gone by then lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 17 2012, 09:04 AM) *
I guess this is the part where I talk about his good qualities and act like he'll be missed even though we didn't always agree with his ways. Sorry. Used all that when Steward passed. Other than the fact that he's become synonymous with major Boxing events, there is nothing I will miss about that man's commentating. It took years for his words to come out his mouth, and when they did, often times they probably should have stayed in. Thank you HBO for this early Xmas gift. My birthday is in February. I expect to see Lampley gone by then lol

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 16 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Tyson on commentary? Da fuk?

if u can get past the lisp and occasional misuse/abuse of the english language....tyson is a boxing historian and truly an expert on the sport. under cus d'amato...with jim jacobs and bill clayton as his managers...he had access to the worlds largest fight film collection and was able to study film daily with cus. in comparison to guys like lampley and merchant, he is seriously over qualified to do their jobs.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 17 2012, 09:04 AM) *
It took years for his words to come out his mouth, and when they did, often times they probably should have stayed in.

Classic Franchize wordplay! laugh.gif
sduck
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 17 2012, 01:36 PM) *
if u can get past the lisp and occasional misuse/abuse of the english language....tyson is a boxing historian and truly an expert on the sport. under cus d'amato...with jim jacobs and bill clayton as his managers...he had access to the worlds largest fight film collection and was able to study film daily with cus. in comparison to guys like lampley and merchant, he is seriously over qualified to do their jobs.

i'll eat your children
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 17 2012, 10:58 PM) *
i'll eat your children

i'm cut from the same cloth as jack dempsey and sonny liston...my style is impetious...my defense in impregnable...yada, yada, yada...praise be to allah!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.