Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attack of the Boxing Pundits: Are They Hurting Our Sport?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
I try to take the good with the bad (or the bad with the good, however it goes), but in boxing there's a lot of bad when it comes to pundits.
Is it something that boxing fans should just accept as part of life, or start calling it for what it is?

Attack of the Pundits / Writers.
wolterb
great read! i think the first step to resolve the problem is to identify it - the article does that. its a step in the right direction. but i think bad boxing pundits are as prevalent as bad writers, and they been around for a looooong time lol
thx for the read again. ima gonna have to start frequenting the uk site
Cshel86
WOW! Cool stuff Cheesey!

I must admit, I had to reach for my dictionary a few times, but that's just my rusty vocabulary getting the best of me. Lol

I see waaaay too many journalists playing the spin doctor role, mostly because they are too much of a fan for a particular fighter, or trying their best to become a road writer for a promotional company.

Some of them can count the corn in some of these fighters' stool, but cant tell you the first thing about a fight from a technical standpoint. From another standpoint, some writers (very few) will dig deep to research and get readers to understand the whole spectrum (mostly the business side) of the sport, rather than having everything being geared towards their agenda.

For instance, I read a couple of articles after the Khan/Garcia fight, and a few writers subtly (but perfectly) described Garcia's left hook as a "lucky punch", when in all truth, he was throwing that punch for the whole fuckin' fight.

Problem is, those writers were Khan fans and they got personal, to the point that you thought they were the angry promoters who were riding on Khan winning so they could continue the "chase for Mayweather". Agenda?

Cheesey1
QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 19 2012, 07:54 AM) *
great read! i think the first step to resolve the problem is to identify it - the article does that. its a step in the right direction. but i think bad boxing pundits are as prevalent as bad writers, and they been around for a looooong time lol
thx for the read again. ima gonna have to start frequenting the uk site

I agree.

You're welcome and thanks for reading it.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2012, 09:20 AM) *
WOW! Cool stuff Cheesey!

I must admit, I had to reach for my dictionary a few times, but that's just my rusty vocabulary getting the best of me. Lol

I see waaaay too many journalists playing the spin doctor role, mostly because they are too much of a fan for a particular fighter, or trying their best to become a road writer for a promotional company.

Some of them can count the corn in some of these fighters' stool, but cant tell you the first thing about a fight from a technical standpoint. From another standpoint, some writers (very few) will dig deep to research and get readers to understand the whole spectrum (mostly the business side) of the sport, rather than having everything being geared towards their agenda.

For instance, I read a couple of articles after the Khan/Garcia fight, and a few writers subtly (but perfectly) described Garcia's left hook as a "lucky punch", when in all truth, he was throwing that punch for the whole fuckin' fight.

Problem is, those writers were Khan fans and they got personal, to the point that you thought they were the angry promoters who were riding on Khan winning so they could continue the "chase for Mayweather". Agenda?

Thanks. That's funny about the dictionary.

Yup, too many of these pundits/writers have bullshit agendas.
daprofessor
best piece i've read in quite some time! to the point and expressed very well. if more writers had your intelligence/understanding, this sport would be looked upon more favorably. instead we get fluff pieces written by shills trying to create controversy where there is none. thanks for sharing!!!
mgrover
i really want to hear what skip bayliss has to say now haha
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 20 2012, 09:27 PM) *
i really want to hear what skip bayliss has to say now haha

i heard that guys name for about 2 years before i finally got to see him in a short clip that someone posted. why anyone would listen to that guy about anything concerning boxing is beyond understanding. he is a fool who is obviously talking out of his ass. laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 20 2012, 07:10 PM) *
best piece i've read in quite some time! to the point and expressed very well. if more writers had your intelligence/understanding, this sport would be looked upon more favorably. instead we get fluff pieces written by shills trying to create controversy where there is none. thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks and you're welcome.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 21 2012, 01:39 AM) *
i heard that guys name for about 2 years before i finally got to see him in a short clip that someone posted. why anyone would listen to that guy about anything concerning boxing is beyond understanding. he is a fool who is obviously talking out of his ass. laugh.gif

he really is right, i swear the amount of shit he chats is just incomparable to anyone else in the sport, but the thing is am curious how he'd talk his out out of the Pac situation haha you know what they say can't bullshit a bullshitter
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 21 2012, 07:26 AM) *
he really is right, i swear the amount of shit he chats is just incomparable to anyone else in the sport, but the thing is am curious how he'd talk his out out of the Pac situation haha you know what they say can't bullshit a bullshitter

I was wondering how that would go down too. I made a point to try to tune in to see that and I was able to. The guy's completely, absolutely and proudly delusional. It might be on youtube. He was discussing with Stephen A. Smith and I believe it was the Monday after the decapitation.
Plah
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 21 2012, 11:36 AM) *
I was wondering how that would go down too. I made a point to try to tune in to see that and I was able to. The guy's completely, absolutely and proudly delusional. It might be on youtube. He was discussing with Stephen A. Smith and I believe it was the Monday after the decapitation.

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kdBWoUotm8
daprofessor
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 21 2012, 01:48 PM) *

in this video...i don't believe either guy is qualified to speak on boxing. both clearly have no clue although i will say skip is exponentially more clueless than the other dude.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 21 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Thanks.
mgrover
i couldn't bring myself to watch it all. Why are these clowns allowed to represent boxing. Are they actually that stupid or are they just paid to run around the cage like monkeys throwing shit at each other.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 22 2012, 01:55 PM) *
i couldn't bring myself to watch it all. Why are these clowns allowed to represent boxing. Are they actually that stupid or are they just paid to run around the cage like monkeys throwing shit at each other.

laugh.gif

I must admit, the video was funny as hell! That face that Bayless was making, had "priceless" written all over it!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 22 2012, 01:55 PM) *

Both, stupidity and paid to make a mockery of the sport. As said already, Bayliss is by far the worst of the two.

I watched a few minutes of it when it was on TV and I'll never get those minutes of my life back.
wolterb
What is disheartening is that Skip Bayless probably represents the common sports' fan perception of boxing...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 23 2012, 10:04 AM) *
What is disheartening is that Skip Bayless probably represents the common sports' fan perception of boxing...

As they say "therein lies the rub." The common sports fan's perception is shaped by dimwits like Bayliss.
Cshel86

laugh.gif

I couldn't agree more!
Franchize

Its incredibly disheartening. I think ppl dont realize how detrimental it is to the sport. It all goes back to the irresponsible journalism Ive been preaching for the last two years. ESPN has boxing analysts yet how many times have you seen Dan Rafael, Teddy Atlas or BJ Flores on First Take? So essentially, your allowing Skip Bayless, who probably only watches Pacquiao fights, formulate the opinion of millions of casual fans. Its a huge black eye on the sport. Its the reason Mayweathers image has been tarnished. Its the birthplace of Pactard nation. Its the reason Marquez wont ever get the credit he deserves for the win. Its the reason people wont appreciate how great Cotto is. Its the reason why guys like Andre Ward dont get the recognition he deserves. All because of ESPN, its irresponsible journalism and its laziness to allow a guy like Skip Clueless to repeatedly and demonstratively speak on shit he has no clue about.

If you didnt see that Marquez vs Pacquiao fight, youd think Manny was dominating him and Manny just got caught with a lucky shot. When in fact, he was eating counters all night and got knocked down FOR THE SECOND TIME and simply could not get up. Not to mention, Skip joined Lampleys butthurt clan and is pushing this foul play conspiracy. Yet neither has mentioned the fact that Roach has had numerous fighters pop for PEDs and his only reasoning against stricter testing is because Manny wasnt willing to do it himself.
mgrover
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 24 2012, 03:41 PM) *
he was eating counters all night

more or less describes the fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 24 2012, 10:41 AM) *
Its incredibly disheartening. I think ppl dont realize how detrimental it is to the sport. It all goes back to the irresponsible journalism Ive been preaching for the last two years. ESPN has boxing analysts yet how many times have you seen Dan Rafael, Teddy Atlas or BJ Flores on First Take? So essentially, your allowing Skip Bayless, who probably only watches Pacquiao fights, formulate the opinion of millions of casual fans. Its a huge black eye on the sport. Its the reason Mayweathers image has been tarnished. Its the birthplace of Pactard nation. Its the reason Marquez wont ever get the credit he deserves for the win. Its the reason people wont appreciate how great Cotto is. Its the reason why guys like Andre Ward dont get the recognition he deserves. All because of ESPN, its irresponsible journalism and its laziness to allow a guy like Skip Clueless to repeatedly and demonstratively speak on shit he has no clue about.

If you didnt see that Marquez vs Pacquiao fight, youd think Manny was dominating him and Manny just got caught with a lucky shot. When in fact, he was eating counters all night and got knocked down FOR THE SECOND TIME and simply could not get up. Not to mention, Skip joined Lampleys butthurt clan and is pushing this foul play conspiracy. Yet neither has mentioned the fact that Roach has had numerous fighters pop for PEDs and his only reasoning against stricter testing is because Manny wasnt willing to do it himself.

You made a great point about why Atlas, Rafael (ughh), and Flores aren't on these daytime shows, when they cover boxing. It sucks that FNFs comes on so late, and is rarely replayed or covered throughout the course of the day. If you not up at 9 or 10 PM, then you'll miss pertinent boxing info. As much as I dont care for Rafael, I'd pick him unenthusiastic ass any day, over Bayless.
daprofessor

amen.
Cheesey1

Yes man.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that sooner, rather than later, Pacquaio will retire and people like Skip Clueless (I like that one) will move on.

I'm optimistic for 2013 and beyond. We have more promoters in the mix., which should result in more boxers getting deals and more places to watch quality boxing (still not as it was years ago, but it's improving). More boxers are starting their own promotional companies and a lot of great young boxers are coming up.
The P.E.D issue is being discussed more often now.
I'd still like to see a boxers union, but I'm not holding my breath. Apart from that, I think things are now moving in the right direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.