Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who was the more popular fighter world wide
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
oscar
floyd
pacquiao

can someone turn this into a poll for me?
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 8 2013, 02:00 PM) *
oscar
floyd
pacquiao

can someone turn this into a poll for me?

Professor that is a hard question. Oscar in his time was the man but I don't think he was that big overseas. Pacquiao has the Asian countries and Floyd has a big following in England and other countries as well. He isn't liked here but he is still popular. Tough picks but I guess I will be biased in this decision and say Mayweather.
daprofessor
i think it's pacquiao...not only was he famous in the u.s. and the philippines....it's seems to me that he was very popular among the asian population as well.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 8 2013, 06:54 PM) *
Professor that is a hard question. Oscar in his time was the man but I don't think he was that big overseas. Pacquiao has the Asian countries and Floyd has a big following in England and other countries as well. He isn't liked here but he is still popular. Tough picks but I guess I will be biased in this decision and say Mayweather.

i will say that floyd is definitely popular in the uk but i think pac may be equally as popular if not more.
BigFightFan
In order as I see it

1. Pacquiao

2. Oscar

3. Mayweather
Cshel86
Have to go with Pacquiao on this one. Dude is playing all of his cards right.

1. Poor kid from a 3rd world country
2. Came to the U.S. and worked his way to the top
3. Had his ups and down (though always covered up by the media) with infidelity, substance abuse, affairs...the usual for a man in power.
4. He's basically a Humanitarian/God in his country
5. Chose to run for Congress and give back to his country
6. Currently playing the religion card (or he may be serious)

All of these factors, coupled by the fact that most of his fans, the media, etc. believes that he can do no wrong...well, that's all that needs to be said.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 8 2013, 07:56 PM) *

3. Had his ups and down (though always covered up by the media) with infidelity, substance abuse, affairs...the usual for a man in power.

All of these factors, coupled by the fact that most of his fans, the media, etc. believes that he can do no wrong...well, that's all that needs to be said.

more than anything....it's the whole rags to riches story that puts pac up top imo.

i agree with dlh being second. his story about his mom prior to the olympics...and him winning gold really set the tone for his paved way in the pro ranks.

floyd probably had to work harder than both to get where he is...but that's not to say he isn't huge. talent wise...he stands alone in the last 20-30 yrs in boxing.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 8 2013, 06:00 PM) *
more than anything....it's the whole rags to riches story that puts pac up top imo.

i agree with dlh being second. his story about his mom prior to the olympics...and him winning gold really set the tone for his paved way in the pro ranks.

floyd probably had to work harder than both to get where he is...but that's not to say he isn't huge. talent wise...he stands alone in the last 20-30 yrs in boxing.

Most boxers are from rags to riches. Look at Chavez Sr. he came from 0 to hero. Look at Tyson. he had nothing!
mgrover
thats because for a lot of boxers boxing is a way out
Plah
Pac for sure.
BrutUalBK
Since the KO then I'd definitely say Pac but prior to then I would've said Floyd. Some people confuse being liked/loved with being popular, many people hated Ali and Mayweather but it did not take away from the popularity of either boxer.

Now that Pac has been put to sleep face-first there has been a zillion jokes, paintings, GIFs, videos and songs poking fun at his nose-dive into the canvas, this definitely raised his popularity much in the way it did for Roy Jones.
mitukczuk
I am giving it to Manny Pacquiao. Solely based on the fact people that have nothing to do with boxing recognize him easily.

Oscar was known mainly in the US.

Floyd is 2nd behind Pacquiao...not by much.
aTYpicalTYrant
I'm rolling with Pac on this one..... The overall amount of love he has received from fans and non-fans is JUST too great. He is revered by some .I consider Floyd more infamous lol. Oscar was hella popular in his day but I don't believe his populariTY is as great as Pac's or Floyd's notorieTY.
Dolimite
Outside of his country and other Asian countries and the US is he big in Europe, I know he doesn't have love in South America so I am trying to figure out exactly what countries he is most popular in. Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him? Floyd is popular because well of Floyd. Oscar because of his looks and fighting everyone.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 11:36 AM) *
Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him?

What is this myth that you keep talking about?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 11:36 AM) *
Outside of his country and other Asian countries and the US is he big in Europe, I know he doesn't have love in South America so I am trying to figure out exactly what countries he is most popular in. Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him? Floyd is popular because well of Floyd. Oscar because of his looks and fighting everyone.

i live in socal...and there are a shit load of asians here. i can tell u this....all asians love that dude. chinese, korean, japanese...and filipinos. not sure if u know this or not...but there are a shit load of asians on this planet. like someone else said...even ppl who don't follow boxing know who pac is...and i believe he eclipsed oscar in popularity. we have european members on this board...ask them who's more popular in europe. i know when i was in the uk last year...they definitely had love for pac. floyds fighting style may be more appreciated there.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:29 AM) *
What is this myth that you keep talking about?

8 weight class and beating guys bigger than he. Granted they were but it came with asterisks. Plus the myth that he would actually beat Mayweather. And background story, it all played perfect for him. If and I am sure you have heard HBO salivate over his "great" accomplishments and the way he destroys all his opponents only helped. Again, he is a great fighter when he was a feathweight and he had great wars with all the aforementioned fighters but Clottely and Margarito I scratch my head at.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 11:06 AM) *
i live in socal...and there are a shit load of asians here. i can tell u this....all asians love that dude. chinese, korean, japanese...and filipinos. not sure if u know this or not...but there are a shit load of asians on this planet. like someone else said...even ppl who don't follow boxing know who pac is...and i believe he eclipsed oscar in popularity. we have european members on this board...ask them who's more popular in europe. i know when i was in the uk last year...they definitely had love for pac. floyds fighting style may be more appreciated there.

Professor I am from Los Angeles, I lived in Temecula (Vietnamese and Filipino haven) Garden Grove (every Asian ethnicity imaginable) and Long Beach and Artisa so I know about Asians in So Cal. I am not going to even touch San Francisco area. I am very familiar about Asians in Cali. Well I never been to Europe and I know that he isn't popular in South America. But I guess Pac is more popular than Mayweather. I know Mayweather gained a wider audience when he did the WWF and Dancing with the Stars, I do think that he is known outside of boxing but not in the positive light.

The question that daunts me is Mayweather and Oscar created their own superstardom. Their fighting and personality is what made them top of their food chain. Is Pacquiao popular because of the machine that pushed him or is he popular because of the fights he gave? People started talking about Pac widely after Oscar and then it went into hypermode after he Mannied Hatton (lol) but again looking at how he won and the stipulations on how he won gives me room to wonder was this hype because look what happen happened since then. I will concur that with all the given information I would say Pac is an international super star but will that star fade when he leaves or is he keeps losing or are people really in love with tthis guy to the point no matter what he does they still love him?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 02:33 PM) *
Professor I am from Los Angeles, I lived in Temecula (Vietnamese and Filipino haven) Garden Grove (every Asian ethnicity imaginable) and Long Beach and Artisa so I know about Asians in So Cal. I am not going to even touch San Francisco area. I am very familiar about Asians in Cali. Well I never been to Europe and I know that he isn't popular in South America. But I guess Pac is more popular than Mayweather. I know Mayweather gained a wider audience when he did the WWF and Dancing with the Stars, I do think that he is known outside of boxing but not in the positive light.

The question that daunts me is Mayweather and Oscar created their own superstardom. Their fighting and personality is what made them top of their food chain. Is Pacquiao popular because of the machine that pushed him or is he popular because of the fights he gave? People started talking about Pac widely after Oscar and then it went into hypermode after he Mannied Hatton (lol) but again looking at how he won and the stipulations on how he won gives me room to wonder was this hype because look what happen happened since then. I will concur that with all the given information I would say Pac is an international super star but will that star fade when he leaves or is he keeps losing or are people really in love with tthis guy to the point no matter what he does they still love him?

oscar didn't create his super-stardom...bob did. he has spoken publicly about paying women to scream at press conferences and weigh ins and stuff. a lot of that was orchestrated and spread like wildfire.

pac burst onto the scene when he beat barrera imo. then the trilogy with morales and the first fight with jmm really accelerated his popularity. the dlh and hatton fights made him legendary...but yeah, i agree...everything over 135 has been smoke and mirrors. in regards to stipulations...none of that info will see the light anytime soon and the general public has been duped. history is going to remember him kindly because the media pretty much painted him a golden child and continues to do so. floyd on the other hand doesn't get the same treatment from the media and i believe that's because of a few reasons. he chose to portray himself as the bad guy....it worked. he's prone to putting his foot in his mouth when he speaks publicly so he does himself no favors. his troubles with the law really sealed the deal for him. it is what it is...
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 07:22 PM) *
Again, he is a great fighter when he was a feathweight and he had great wars with all the aforementioned fighters but Clottely and Margarito I scratch my head at.

why them two?
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 9 2013, 02:30 PM) *
why them two?

Clottely simply because that is when the fight with Mayweather was suppose to happen. Instead of getting tested Olympic style he decided to fight Clottely! And he could not knock hm out even though stone feet stood directly in front of him the entire freaking fight! And if you looked at Pac's face it actually looked as if he was in a semi battle. He took a far lesser and dangerous opponent at that point Pacquaio was in the elite level of boxing...

Margs because he just got his ass handed to him by Shane Mosley and given Margarito did have a BS win over Roberto Garcia Margarito was done. And there are some others but you understand.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 12:23 PM) *
oscar didn't create his super-stardom...bob did. he has spoken publicly about paying women to scream at press conferences and weigh ins and stuff. a lot of that was orchestrated and spread like wildfire.

pac burst onto the scene when he beat barrera imo. then the trilogy with morales and the first fight with jmm really accelerated his popularity. the dlh and hatton fights made him legendary...but yeah, i agree...everything over 135 has been smoke and mirrors. in regards to stipulations...none of that info will see the light anytime soon and the general public has been duped. history is going to remember him kindly because the media pretty much painted him a golden child and continues to do so. floyd on the other hand doesn't get the same treatment from the media and i believe that's because of a few reasons. he chose to portray himself as the bad guy....it worked. he's prone to putting his foot in his mouth when he speaks publicly so he does himself no favors. his troubles with the law really sealed the deal for him. it is what it is...

Professor you honestly know your shit and do your homework because I honestly did not know that. Professor when Pac was fighting at the lower weights I was a fan hands down! Once he started to become popular and I saw what he was doing to his opponents as an advantage when fighting them I lost all interest. I think the media and history has to be honest with Pac. What happens if he loses his 3rd straight fight then what? Will the smoke and mirrors be lifted? Mayweather is at times his own worse enemy. He played and is playing the bad boy role to perfection. I think that when Mayweather is telling stories about boxing and when he was younger are great, I think if he was a little eloquent and more polished with his words and expressing himself he would be far better understood. The legal trouble I have my issues with simply Mayweather and Josie Harris happened to be hanging out together at the same strip club after he got out of prison. Go figure. However I think history will not deny Mayweather's superiority in the ring.
mikE11
I don't think Pacquiao or Floyd have reached the level of Oscar in the US and Mexico has more people than the Phillippines.

Plus, Oscar had the female contingent.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:11 PM) *
I don't think Pacquiao or Floyd have reached the level of Oscar in the US and Mexico has more people than the Phillippines.

Plus, Oscar had the female contingent.

But it is being said that Pac is receiving love from more than just the Phillipines. Several people have said that he is popular with most Asians they know. If that includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korea that's a boatload of people. BTW Pacific Islanders exist in more places than just the Phillipines.
Franchize
I'm a big Mayweather fan and I know a lot of PActards ....*cough* I mean Pacquiao fans...but I gotta go De La Hoya. He became Beiber-esque at one point. It got to the point where women were tuning in just to see him. He had like a Macho Camacho following without the people turned off from his lifestyle and cockiness.
neophyte7
How much does Mayweather earn for his 24/7 idea? Is he not the one who gave the idea to HBO?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Professor you honestly know your shit and do your homework because I honestly did not know that. Professor when Pac was fighting at the lower weights I was a fan hands down! Once he started to become popular and I saw what he was doing to his opponents as an advantage when fighting them I lost all interest. I think the media and history has to be honest with Pac. What happens if he loses his 3rd straight fight then what? Will the smoke and mirrors be lifted? Mayweather is at times his own worse enemy. He played and is playing the bad boy role to perfection. I think that when Mayweather is telling stories about boxing and when he was younger are great, I think if he was a little eloquent and more polished with his words and expressing himself he would be far better understood. The legal trouble I have my issues with simply Mayweather and Josie Harris happened to be hanging out together at the same strip club after he got out of prison. Go figure. However I think history will not deny Mayweather's superiority in the ring.

thanks. i think a lot of the truth about pac is lost on casual fans....and they don't really care.

as for floyd...i'm a die hard fan and his personal life means absolutely nothing to me. his abilities as a fighter are what i've always been amazed by and there is no denying his superiority on that. history can paint him however they choose...but the film will tell a different story to those who understand what it is they are seeing.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 10 2013, 11:41 AM) *
thanks. i think a lot of the truth about pac is lost on casual fans....and they don't really care.

as for floyd...i'm a die hard fan and his personal life means absolutely nothing to me. his abilities as a fighter are what i've always been amazed by and there is no denying his superiority on that. history can paint him however they choose...but the film will tell a different story to those who understand what it is they are seeing.

That is interesting simply because that is what people like to highlight when it comes to Floyd. My favorite Floyd fight was Emmanuel Burton after I saw that fight I knew Mayweather was the real deal. Anyway, I notice when it comes to Pac's personal like people skip over it and only want to focus on his accomplishments they do not do the same for Mayweather. They even protected Oscar's little coke problem and being a complete man whore. Which is in his right but when you want to be Mr. Clean and you are dirty and the media covers it up but they want to highlight Mayweather as being a douche bag because of all his short comings and out the ring issues and shit on his boxing skills as well as opponents that's when I become really sour. Great post as usual professor
mikE11
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jan 10 2013, 05:25 AM) *
But it is being said that Pac is receiving love from more than just the Phillipines. Several people have said that he is popular with most Asians they know. If that includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korea that's a boatload of people. BTW Pacific Islanders exist in more places than just the Phillipines.

Yeah, Pacquiao might be more popular worldwide than dlh was, but I'm pretty sure he isn't in the usa.

Post-Tyson era, dlh dominated the popularity scene in the sport. I'm guessing Pacquiao controls the Philippines scene, but they were already boxing fans. (Luisito Espinosa, for example). A large portion of Oscar's fans no longer exist--females.

I'm reading 'popular' to mean 'known' and not 'liked'. Otherwise, Floyd wouldn't be in consideration.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 10 2013, 08:22 PM) *
Yeah, Pacquiao might be more popular worldwide than dlh was, but I'm pretty sure he isn't in the usa.

Post-Tyson era, dlh dominated the popularity scene in the sport. I'm guessing Pacquiao controls the Philippines scene, but they were already boxing fans. (Luisito Espinosa, for example). A large portion of Oscar's fans no longer exist--females.

I'm reading 'popular' to mean 'known' and not 'liked'. Otherwise, Floyd wouldn't be in consideration.

most of pacquiao's fans don't even know who luisito espinosa is. i was in S.F. a few years back and they announced him...he went totally unrecognized and got a very weak applause from the boxing crowd at the event i was at. it was really sad.

when i say popular....i guess it's a combination of known/liked.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 10 2013, 02:00 PM) *
That is interesting simply because that is what people like to highlight when it comes to Floyd. My favorite Floyd fight was Emmanuel Burton after I saw that fight I knew Mayweather was the real deal. Anyway, I notice when it comes to Pac's personal like people skip over it and only want to focus on his accomplishments they do not do the same for Mayweather. They even protected Oscar's little coke problem and being a complete man whore. Which is in his right but when you want to be Mr. Clean and you are dirty and the media covers it up but they want to highlight Mayweather as being a douche bag because of all his short comings and out the ring issues and shit on his boxing skills as well as opponents that's when I become really sour. Great post as usual professor

Yeah, it's funny how they seem to magnify any negativity on Floyd but then they'll excuse and even minimalize Pac's shortcomings; no big deal was made of Pac (who claims to be some type of Christian Saint) when he was womanizing/cheating on his wife, doing Cocaine, and now as a so called "Christian" he is selling Liquor in his commercials.

So much for the so called "Christian" Pac who can do no wrong.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2013, 08:12 PM) *
Yeah, it's funny how they seem to magnify any negativity on Floyd but then they'll excuse and even minimalize Pac's shortcomings; no big deal was made of Pac (who claims to be some type of Christian Saint) when he was womanizing/cheating on his wife, doing Cocaine, and now as a so called "Christian" he is selling Liquor in his commercials.

So much for the so called "Christian" Pac who can do no wrong.

You left out the "harboring the fugitive" part.
mikE11
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 10 2013, 07:37 PM) *
most of pacquiao's fans don't even know who luisito espinosa is. i was in S.F. a few years back and they announced him...he went totally unrecognized and got a very weak applause from the boxing crowd at the event i was at. it was really sad.

when i say popular....i guess it's a combination of known/liked.

If they don't know who Espinosa was, that's because:

1. They are too young to know; or

2. They live in the US.

It's not because he wasn't popular.

Espinosa had the largest crowds for a boxing event all all-time. He probably still does.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/other-boxing...he-proper-stage

"For example, Luisito Espinoza versus Cesar Soto in 1996 drew an estimated 300,000 people to Luneta Park in the Philippines while 136,274 poured into Azteca Stadium in Mexico City to see Julio Cesar Chavez destroy Greg Haugen in five rounds. "

mgrover
Does this really need explaining for the billionth time, Mayweather paints himself as a prick, so the media helps that along
daprofessor
QUOTE (mikE11 @ Jan 16 2013, 06:15 PM) *
If they don't know who Espinosa was, that's because:

1. They are too young to know; or

2. They live in the US.

It's not because he wasn't popular.

Espinosa had the largest crowds for a boxing event all all-time. He probably still does.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/other-boxing...he-proper-stage

"For example, Luisito Espinoza versus Cesar Soto in 1996 drew an estimated 300,000 people to Luneta Park in the Philippines while 136,274 poured into Azteca Stadium in Mexico City to see Julio Cesar Chavez destroy Greg Haugen in five rounds. "

never knew that. impressive. i'd guess it was an age thing.
CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 9 2013, 08:56 AM) *

Agreed. It's all staged!

BTW love your signature. Where is Philippians located?? And who is Caleno?? Hahahaha
Dolimite
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Jan 19 2013, 08:25 AM) *
Agreed. It's all staged!

BTW love your signature. Where is Philippians located?? And who is Caleno?? Hahahaha

What kills me most boxers come up from the rough side of the mountain. Peter Q was homeless, Mayweather had serious issues in homelife, Tyson (enough said), Pavilik grew up in Youngstown which is a shitty area in Ohio, Hopkins had a hard knock there are plenty of boxers who had it worse than Manny and no one is praising them as the savior of their state. Manny played the good role and it paid off. Unfortunately he wasn't really a good guy. He gambles, bangs hookers, has children out of wedlock, he is a crappy congressman by all accounts and he can't sing or act for shit but hey the world loves him just like they thought Jeremy Lin was the second coming of Jordan! HA. Now they are going to hype the Filipino Flab... I hope that sack of Flab moves up to Featherweight so Chris John can smoke him!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.