Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Alexander? Not Guerrero? (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mitukczuk
My man Floyd Money Mayweather will probably get into the ring with Devon Alexander in the WBA IBF unification bout.

From recent post on his official Facebook page:

"The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It'd be a unification bout at welterweight."

Nothing set in stone yet but how do you feel about it?

I am kind of leaning towards liking this fight. Alexander is boring, his head is his third arm BUT he is technically sound boxer imo. Seeing Floyd Sr/Uncle Roger in the corner against Cunningham promises some sparks as well. Especially in 24/7. Devon is a good guy, Floyd will play the villain as usual, cornermen will be exchanging verbal blows and come fight night it should be a good boxing match..........with Floyd eventually prevailing.
Marcus
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 6 2013, 04:05 AM) *
My man Floyd Money Mayweather will probably get into the ring with Devon Alexander in the WBA IBF unification bout.

From recent post on his official Facebook page:

"The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It'd be a unification bout at welterweight."

Nothing set in stone yet but how do you feel about it?

I am kind of leaning towards liking this fight. Alexander is boring, his head is his third arm BUT he is technically sound boxer imo. Seeing Floyd Sr/Uncle Roger in the corner against Cunningham promises some sparks as well. Especially in 24/7. Devon is a good guy, Floyd will play the villain as usual, cornermen will be exchanging verbal blows and come fight night it should be a good boxing match..........with Floyd eventually prevailing.

Yo it's so funny because Someone mentioned Floyd Vs. Brook and it turns out they were right! Unfortunately Devon had an injury but Floyd would've face the winner of that fight if it were to materialize. Many boxing fans are outraged claiming Floyd is cherry picking and ducking Guerrero but I'm satisfied. Alexander deserves a Mayweather fight more than any other welter eight besides Bradley. He's been a world champion since 22 I believe and his opposition is WAY better than Guerrero's from 140-147. The only thing that kills the marketability of this fight is the fact that Devon has no personality and his style is boring. But I'm glad Floyd is giving a young black fighter a chance. I'm Glad he's supporting his own. It will be a pure boxing match. For Floyd to have made this decision. There must be Broner/Canelo on the undercard because many people are not happy...
mgrover
i can see how this plays out. Floyd will go on about how Devon is undefeated and didn't really lose to Bradley and then talk trash to his face. I just hope this isn't the clinch fest Alexander vs Maidana will be, or the snooze fest that Alexander vs Bailey will be, sure Mayweather is neither, but he's Mayweather so Alexander will be intimidated by that.
Jovi
Well played Floyd. I just wanted a better fight than Guerrero. Alexander is more interesting in my eyes. Its gonna be a good chance for Mayweather to shine, and 24/7 is going to be of interesting. I think he has been very humbled by his situation, and maybe will speak a lot about the various trials and tribulations he's gone through. Devon is a Young Champion, Skillwise he's better than Guerrero but it was Eff'd how they went about it all to the expense of Brook, dam son haha.

I actually thought he would announce a Amir Khan or Brook fight for the UK, no idea this was going to happen. As long as Adrien broner and Canelo vs trout on there, i think itll be fine

"At the end of the day" i don't care who he would've fought because i woulda watched it anyway lol. Just love boxing too much. Gonna be a good day.

Marcus
QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 6 2013, 06:58 AM) *
Well played Floyd. I just wanted a better fight than Guerrero. Alexander is more interesting in my eyes. Its gonna be a good chance for Mayweather to shine, and 24/7 is going to be of interesting. I think he has been very humbled by his situation, and maybe will speak a lot about the various trials and tribulations he's gone through. Devon is a Young Champion, Skillwise he's better than Guerrero but it was Eff'd how they went about it all to the expense of Brook, dam son haha.

I actually thought he would announce a Amir Khan or Brook fight for the UK, no idea this was going to happen. As long as Adrien broner and Canelo vs trout on there, i think itll be fine

"At the end of the day" i don't care who he would've fought because i woulda watched it anyway lol. Just love boxing too much. Gonna be a good day.

There was no honor in the way they went about it. The winner of Alexander Brook should've gotten this fight. But time is money, and I guess there wasn't enough time to wait for Devon's bicep to "heal" so that he could fight Brook. One thing for certain, Brook is SICK right now...
duwdu
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 6 2013, 04:58 AM) *
Which is probably why Brook and his promoter think the injury was BS. Brooks' promoter, Eddie Hearn is saying that they won't take any step aside money to allow them to unify the belts. I hope that is true and that if they try to proceed with the match that Devon gets stripped of the title

I doubt that the IBF would choose the Floyd opportunity as the one they'd start a strict enforcement of their rules with. They probably would want Floyd's name - and sanction fee-size - on their record books before he retires. They also know that Brook will probably still be there to chase the crown later.

In my view, the only serious thing out of what Eddie Hearn was reported to have said, is that they have a signed contract to fight Alexander. But even with a contract anything can happen, and signed contracts have been side-stepped in the past, even recently. I think Eddie and Kell would eventually come round to accept some step-aside money.

Like has been said by some, a Mayweather-Alexander fight will be a hard sell though. Even at that, Floyd can be a good salesman all by himself, and could break the 1 million PPV buys barrier with this one, with or without Canelo on the card. Of course, having Canelo on the card, no matter who he fights, would boost such numbers.

P34c3
Franchize
I totally didn't see this coming by the way. Devon Alexander? I've defended Floyd's resume' plenty of times but even I don't get this one...and I damn sure am not anxious to see it. Not trying to see Devon struggle to mount any kind of offense while throwing that bullshit jab of his and grunting all fucking night. Devon does have a resume but damn... this is a hard sell. There's no Cinco De Mayo connection. There's no beef there. Alexander wasn't calling him out. Alexander isn't the new IT guy in boxing. Alexander isn't fresh off a classic performance. I just don't see any reason why he would fight him of all people. I hate to say this, but I'd rather see him fight Guerrero than Alexander.
Franchize
If he was fighting Devon with his September date he supposedly has locked in, mabe I'd get it. Why waste the May date on Devon?
MaxPayne
I'm still holding out hope that it's Marquez and that we're all being trolled.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 6 2013, 09:05 AM) *
I totally didn't see this coming by the way. Devon Alexander? I've defended Floyd's resume' plenty of times but even I don't get this one...and I damn sure am not anxious to see it. Not trying to see Devon struggle to mount any kind of offense while throwing that bullshit jab of his and grunting all fucking night. Devon does have a resume but damn... this is a hard sell. There's no Cinco De Mayo connection. There's no beef there. Alexander wasn't calling him out. Alexander isn't the new IT guy in boxing. Alexander isn't fresh off a classic performance. I just don't see any reason why he would fight him of all people. I hate to say this, but I'd rather see him fight Guerrero than Alexander.

I'mma have to cosign this entire post.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 6 2013, 08:05 AM) *

+1. Devon Alexander doesn't put asses in the seats and is boring to watch. It's not a bad fight for Floyd's first fight back. However, even using Floyd's analogy. "If it makes dollars, it makes sense." This fight won't make much dollars. Devon's not a big name or a big draw. I mean, they would have to stage it in Saint Louis for Floyd to get robbed on the cards, LOL! That's the only place where this fight mean's something. To the rest of the world and the venues, Devon's just not a draw. He should have fought Geurrero, or even Bradley. This will BOMB as a PPV. (At least without a super strong undercard.)

Jack
Plah
Safe choice with Devon, this feels like a tune-up
Marcus
QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 6 2013, 12:25 PM) *

http://www.fighthype.com/news/external/ind...lexander--62121

Idt it will happen guys. At this point Floyd's not only fighting for big money but for belts to add more glitter to his name. The IBF won't allow the unification to happen because Devon is under contract with brook. Unless Mayweather fights him anyway regardless if he gets stripped or not, the fight most likely won't happen. Back to square one..
daprofessor
if this fight happens i will be very disappointed. floyd doesn't have very many options...i get that. one thing is for certain in this match up....it will be the first time since the great willie pep that someone is going to win a round (or several) without throwing a single punch. laugh.gif
Cshel86
So Floyd passes gas, and everybody runs to smell it.

laugh.gif

Dude is clearly bluffing here. If anything, he should pick Brook, if he's gonna go this route.
mgrover
Brooke vs Guerrero anyone?
mrchitown
QUOTE (duwdu @ Feb 6 2013, 07:28 AM) *
I doubt that the IBF would choose the Floyd opportunity as the one they'd start a strict enforcement of their rules with. They probably would want Floyd's name - and sanction fee-size - on their record books before he retires. They also know that Brook will probably still be there to chase the crown later.

In my view, the only serious thing out of what Eddie Hearn was reported to have said, is that they have a signed contract to fight Alexander. But even with a contract anything can happen, and signed contracts have been side-stepped in the past, even recently. I think Eddie and Kell would eventually come round to accept some step-aside money.

Like has been said by some, a Mayweather-Alexander fight will be a hard sell though. Even at that, Floyd can be a good salesman all by himself, and could break the 1 million PPV buys barrier with this one, with or without Canelo on the card. Of course, having Canelo on the card, no matter who he fights, would boost such numbers.

P34c3

Told you lol. Even though the IBF is a sanctioning body, they are the most credible one in my eyes because they uphold their rulings more then the other sanctioning bodies. Guerrero deserves that fight more then Devon
checkleft
QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 6 2013, 01:25 PM) *

That's what I was thinking. But I think its a bluff to make guerrero take whatever he is being offered that he DOESN'T deserve and shut the fuck up. I like this fight better than guerrero anyway even tho Alexander does some dirty work too he has fought better guys.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 6 2013, 04:55 PM) *
Brooke vs Guerrero anyone?

Quick thinking. I got brook if it happens
Dolimite
I have all the respect in the world for Floyd but when I saw this I literally screamed "Oh HELL NO!"Devon is a good guy but this is worse than a Guerrero fight. I would rather Floyd fight Keith Thurman than this fight better yet fight Mattyssee ( I butchered his name, sorry). I would actually enjoy that fight. I honestly hope Floyd was bluffing on this one. The only thing I will be hearing for the next 3 months is that Floyd is ducking Guerrero. Who wants to hear that? This better be gamemanship at its finest! thumbsdown_anim.gif
duwdu
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 6 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Told you lol. Even though the IBF is a sanctioning body, they are the most credible one in my eyes because they uphold their rulings more then the other sanctioning bodies. Guerrero deserves that fight more then Devon

Yeah, you did. And Cshel's "Floyd passes gas..." is funny as hell, lol.

All credit to the IBF for this stand. Good for Kell "Special K" Brook as well, (I'm a fan of his too, btw,) especially now that his name is being increasingly mentioned in the same sentence as that of Floyd.

As for Floyd, he's just earned himself some more fan jeers - and a few thousands more PPV buys for his next fight, especially if it is not against Alexander. Pure trolling=marketing genius.

P34c3
duwdu
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 6 2013, 05:31 PM) *
That's what I was thinking. But I think its a bluff to make guerrero take whatever he is being offered that he DOESN'T deserve and shut the fuck up. I like this fight better than guerrero anyway even tho Alexander does some dirty work too he has fought better guys.

Quick thinking. I got brook if it happens

Me too (for Guerrero-Brook.)

P34c3
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2013, 03:02 PM) *
floyd is running out of options. i don't believe he can beat trout. canelo isn't going to be an easy fight. guerrero was his best option. i think bradley is probably the most deserving though. anything other than the names i just mentioned really don't interest me. i'll focus on the up and comers and spare myself the let down if he fights someone else.

Well, this is a very smart move on Floyd's part. It'll start the pathway to unifying the division, when he beats Alexander then he will be the main guy (not that he isn't now) but this will add another title/belt in that division that he can solidify. At the moment Bradley is already scheduled for a fight, plus rumor has it that Floyd is using this talk of the Alexander fight as a bargaining chip for some other endeavour but I guess we'll have to wait to see what that chip is all about.

Anybody got any ideas why Floyd needs a bargaining chip and exactly what that "chip" may be??
duwdu
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 6 2013, 08:45 PM) *
Well, this is a very smart move on Floyd's part. It'll start the pathway to unifying the division, when he beats Alexander then he will be the main guy (not that he isn't now) but this will add another title/belt in that division that he can solidify. At the moment Bradley is already scheduled for a fight, plus rumor has it that Floyd is using this talk of the Alexander fight as a bargaining chip for some other endeavour but I guess we'll have to wait to see what that chip is all about.

Anybody got any ideas why Floyd needs a bargaining chip and exactly what that "chip" may be??

From the conspiracy theory part of my mind:

One of the reasons Floyd would possibly need a bargaining chip is that a large portion of potential PPV buyers were not convinced Mayweather vs Guerrero was worth buying, or even of being taken seriously. Even some experts also think so.

The bargaining chip is to create the impression it would not be Guerrero, thereby causing some [mostly] casual fans who initially would think Guerrero would be an easy fight for Mayweather, to start having the belief that Mayweather is scared of/ducking Guerrero. This impression quickly goes viral, as does anything Floyd, and generates appreciable numbers of additional 24/7 interest, and ultimately PPV buys.

Already with the frenzy caused by "Mayweather passing gas..." (apologies to Cshel,) some who were initially saying Guerrero would not be worth it, have started saying they'd rather it's Guerrero than the "boring" Alexander.

P34c3
Hotsauce
Floyd fighting an unknown black guy on cinco de mayo?
Cshel86
Honestly, at this point, I believe a Kell Brook fight would sell more than an Alexander or Guerrero fight. I can see a Kell Brook fight happening by the end of this year, that's if Floyd opts to not fight in September.

From what I know, the May date is reserved, but I'm not so sure about the September date. If we're going to have a Chavez/Martinez rematch, and possibly a JMM/Pac rematch (if it doesn't happen in April), then I believe that that's enough entertainment for one month. What's wrong with a December date?

Think about it, if Floyd has a tough fight in May, I just can't picture him coming back so soon, especially at this age. If Brook doesn't make the most of his opportunity now (if he's the selected one), then I believe he'll fight Floyd by the end of the year, and Floyd will fight Canelo next May.

I believe Kell will have enough time to fight twice, before the December even rolls around. Besides, how much did Hatton do in the U.S. before he landed a big fight? He had what, two fights? Against an old Castillo, and nearly lost to Collazo?! He DID have his U.K. fan base though.

On the other hand, as a boxing fan, I'm tired of waiting on Floyd hand & foot, just to see who he fights. It's a bit more frustrating this time around, because fights are getting cancelled and postponed like crazy, so the predictions of who wins what, is being put on hold as well. I believe the bigger disappointment stems from these young WW lions who haven't been promoted right, or failed to produce a stellar performance in a fight against a guy at their own skill level.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2013, 09:03 AM) *
Honestly, at this point, I believe a Kell Brook fight would sell more than an Alexander or Guerrero fight. I can see a Kell Brook fight happening by the end of this year, that's if Floyd opts to not fight in September.

From what I know, the May date is reserved, but I'm not so sure about the September date. If we're going to have a Chavez/Martinez rematch, and possibly a JMM/Pac rematch (if it doesn't happen in April), then I believe that that's enough entertainment for one month. What's wrong with a December date?

Think about it, if Floyd has a tough fight in May, I just can't picture him coming back so soon, especially at this age. If Brook doesn't make the most of his opportunity now (if he's the selected one), then I believe he'll fight Floyd by the end of the year, and Floyd will fight Canelo next May.

I believe Kell will have enough time to fight twice, before the December even rolls around. Besides, how much did Hatton do in the U.S. before he landed a big fight? He had what, two fights? Against an old Castillo, and nearly lost to Collazo?! He DID have his U.K. fan base though.

On the other hand, as a boxing fan, I'm tired of waiting on Floyd hand & foot, just to see who he fights. It's a bit more frustrating this time around, because fights are getting cancelled and postponed like crazy, so the predictions of who wins what, is being put on hold as well. I believe the bigger disappointment stems from these young WW lions who haven't been promoted right, or failed to produce a stellar performance in a fight against a guy at their own skill level.

One cannot dismiss Floyd's age and ring inactivity. It has to catch up with him sometime. One these fights, it is possible that Alexander or Guerrero or whoever is gonna be to what Lloyd Honneyghan was to Donald Curry. I still think its an issue where Floyd haters want to see him lose to anybody or anything. Floyd's supporters at the same time, are tired of the once a year waiting game that Floyd plays. Floyd may have been able to silence more critics by being more active throughout his career.

Jack
Jack 1000
The IBF will not sanction Mayweather-Alexander. (Brook is the mandatory) More from the UK Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-for-title.html

Jack
checkleft
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 7 2013, 01:01 PM) *
The IBF will not sanction Mayweather-Alexander. (Brook is the mandatory) More from the UK Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-for-title.html

Jack

I'm surprised anyone cares, if he really wanted to make the Alexander fight happen he would just ask devon to drop the title and get paid. Who cares about any of the titles anymore, if he really wanted a title he could just ask the wbc to make one up, call it the super duper aluminum title or something.

That's why I honestly believe this is a bluff on floyds part
Jack 1000
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 7 2013, 12:21 PM) *
I'm surprised anyone cares, if he really wanted to make the Alexander fight happen he would just ask devon to drop the title and get paid. Who cares about any of the titles anymore, if he really wanted a title he could just ask the wbc to make one up, call it the super duper aluminum title or something.

That's why I honestly believe this is a bluff on floyds part

Very possible,

It is possible Floyd may fight Guerrero all along, and the Alexander talk was just talk. I mean, flies wouldn't even be drawn to the dump of boredom that would be Mayweather-Alexander. I am not saying that Devon's as bad as when Floyd was fighting nothings like Sosa and N'dou. However, at this stage of his career, Devon Alexander does nothing for Floyd. Give The Ghost his chance. It's not like Floyd's getting any younger. Floyd's age is causing time and options to run out for big fights.

Jack
mgrover
if floyd fights alexander and does not so amazing numbers think he will finally accept 50/50 for a pac fight. or something closer to those numbers, also bob arum dies between then and now.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 7 2013, 11:16 AM) *
if floyd fights alexander and does not so amazing numbers think he will finally accept 50/50 for a pac fight. or something closer to those numbers, also bob arum dies between then and now.

That depends if Manny has waken from his nap.

I am not going to pay to watch Floyd and Devon fight. I love May but I will pass on this.
Col Reb
I was looking forward to Floyd vs Guerrero. I have no interest in Alexander. These are the fights I would like to see the most for Floyd (though we probably won't get any of these):

1. Martinez (fall)
2. GGG
3. PAC
4. Canelo
5. Broner (next year)
Franchize
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Feb 8 2013, 12:38 AM) *
I was looking forward to Floyd vs Guerrero. I have no interest in Alexander. These are the fights I would like to see the most for Floyd (though we probably won't get any of these):

1. Martinez (fall)
2. GGG
3. PAC
4. Canelo
5. Broner (next year)

You want to see Floyd vs Golovkin? You want to see a Welterweight fight a middleweight who punches like a light heavyweight?
Plah
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 8 2013, 09:07 AM) *
You want to see Floyd vs Golovkin? You want to see a Welterweight fight a middleweight who punches like a light heavyweight?

I was thinking the same... from that list I'll like to see Canelo and Sergio, even though I know that one of em (Sergio vs Floyd) will be at a huge weight disadvantage.
checkleft
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Feb 8 2013, 12:38 AM) *

1. Martinez (fall)
2. GGG
3. PAC
4. Canelo
5. Broner (next year)

Golovkin?.. broner?

Cmon now
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 7 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Really? Why do you say that? I think Manny didn't have enough leverage to begin with. He damn sure doesn't after being knocked what is known as the FUCK out. I wouldn't give Manny more than 25-30% at this point.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 7 2013, 01:16 PM) *

LOL, I can't believe you posted this. Are you serious in stating this?? There will nor have there ever been a 50-50 consideration from Floyd to concede giving a fighter who only roughly makes about 8 to no more than 10 million per bout a 50-50 deal. Why would Floyd do that now, especially since Manny got KTFO??

Sorry Bro but you're not making any sense at all on this post, none whatsoever.

Manny would be lucky at this point having two loses in a row (one by devastating KO) to get a 70-30 deal.
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 9 2013, 12:15 AM) *
LOL, I can't believe you posted this. Are you serious in stating this?? There will nor have there ever been a 50-50 consideration from Floyd to concede giving a fighter who only roughly makes about 8 to no more than 10 million per bout a 50-50 deal. Why would Floyd do that now, especially since Manny got KTFO??

Sorry Bro but you're not making any sense at all on this post, none whatsoever.

Manny would be lucky at this point having two loses in a row (one by devastating KO) to get a 70-30 deal.

yeah am stating this. mainly because sure Pac lost, yet where you like it or not he's a draw. The only card Mayweather realistically has is the fact once upon a time he did 2.4 million, the self proclaimed cash cow of the sport. Other than that if where going by the numbers of the two of them reported by Arum for Pac and GoldenBoy for Mayweather I think, nobody pulls ahead that far, both need at least a well known dance partner and please don't pull up the undefeated card. The 8-10 million blah blah blah has been explained fairly well that Pac likes his advances and Arum is only required to report what he's paying Pac on the night of the actual fight.

People can make all the jokes in the world about Pac being sleeping beauty, but if he fights again, the world will want to know where hes at as a fighter and how that loss has affected him. I have always thought they both need each other, if there was no Pac nobody would of given that much of a shit about Mayweather, he says he's glad Pac made money off his name, but they've both made money off each others name.

To everybody else, the loss realistically does nothing to Pac, he still has a country behind him, I mean people cried when he lost. It's a perk of being a nice guy, you can't really do much wrong win/lose/draw.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 8 2013, 06:28 PM) *
yeah am stating this. mainly because sure Pac lost, yet where you like it or not he's a draw. The only card Mayweather realistically has is the fact once upon a time he did 2.4 million, the self proclaimed cash cow of the sport. Other than that if where going by the numbers of the two of them reported by Arum for Pac and GoldenBoy for Mayweather I think, nobody pulls ahead that far, both need at least a well known dance partner and please don't pull up the undefeated card. The 8-10 million blah blah blah has been explained fairly well that Pac likes his advances and Arum is only required to report what he's paying Pac on the night of the actual fight.

People can make all the jokes in the world about Pac being sleeping beauty, but if he fights again, the world will want to know where hes at as a fighter and how that loss has affected him. I have always thought they both need each other, if there was no Pac nobody would of given that much of a shit about Mayweather, he says he's glad Pac made money off his name, but they've both made money off each others name.

To everybody else, the loss realistically does nothing to Pac, he still has a country behind him, I mean people cried when he lost. It's a perk of being a nice guy, you can't really do much wrong win/lose/draw.

Ok, let's go backwards on your post:
1st you stated (incorrectly i might add) that "realistically the loss does nothing to Pac!" The loss was catastrophic to not only Pac but to boxing by ending the so called heir of invincibility that Pac had on him from his fans and totally killed the idea that some actually believed he had a chance at beating Floyd (sorry I wasn't one of them).

2. You've somehow convinced yourself that nobody would've cared about Floyd if it wasn't for Pac, wrong again!! Floyd already had a name for himself without Pac and in reality Pac lived off of Floyd and not the other way around nor was it even, whenever Floyd chose an opponent Pac usually waited a year or two before he decided to face that same opponent or waited until that opponent had been thoroughly beaten by KO/TKO/UD or just got totally exposed then he fought them. Furthermore to add to your claim that nobody cared about Floyd because his name was aligned with Pac's then that is obviously disputed when you compare the numbers of their fights with Oscar.

3. People are making jokes and they will continue to make them about Pac because he was a fool for fighting JMM and passing on the 40 million that was offered to him, now it'll take him 5-7 fights to make that kind of money, he may have a country behind him but that doesn't mean that the USA is behind him. Nobody will go to the Phillipines to fight Manny, nobody.

4. If you believe that crap that Bob Arum states about Manny's PPV numbers then you have to be guzzling the Bob Arum Kool Aid because the fact of the matter is that he (Arum) always and routinely kept the PPV numbers from many of Pac's bouts and the reason for that should be obvious but I'm sure you'll spin this and say that GBP was doing the same thing as you so eloquently stated before.

5. I never claimed that Manny isn't a draw,sure he is but this is still a sport at the end of the day about the bigger draw and right now like it or not, it is Floyd Mayweather and he is in the driver's seat regarding a fight with Manny. There is no way in hell that Arum an argue a 50-50 or nothing even similar because he is in no condition to make an offer, if he was smart then he should be willing to accept a 60-40 at best and a 65-35 at the least.

We can go back and forth all day long about this but I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you because apparently you are not being totally realistic about this sport, its' numbers and the way a loss (in this case 2 loses in a row) will affect a fighter at the negotiating table.
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 9 2013, 12:44 AM) *
Ok, let's go backwards on your post:
1st you stated (incorrectly i might add) that "realistically the loss does nothing to Pac!" The loss was catastrophic to not only Pac but to boxing by ending the so called heir of invincibility that Pac had on him from his fans and totally killed the idea that some actually believed he had a chance at beating Floyd (sorry I wasn't one of them).

2. You've somehow convinced yourself that nobody would've cared about Floyd if it wasn't for Pac, wrong again!! Floyd already had a name for himself without Pac and in reality Pac lived off of Floyd and not the other way around nor was it even done, whenever Floyd chose an opponent Pac usually waited a year or two before he decided to face that same opponent or waited until that opponent had been thoroughly beaten by KO/TKO/UD or just got totally exposed then he fought them. Furthermore to add to your claim that nobody cared about Floyd because his name was aligned with Pac's then that is obviously disputed when you compare the numbers of their fights with Oscar.

3. People are making jokes and they will continue to make them about Pac because he was a fool for fighting JMM and passing on the 40 million that was offered to him, now it'll take him 5-7 fights to make that kind of money, he may have a country behind him but that doesn't mean that the USA is behind him. Nobody will go to the Phillipines to fight Manny, nobody.

4. If you believe that crap that Bob Arum states about Manny's PPV numbers then you have to be guzzling the Bob Arum Kool Aid because the fact of the matter is that he (Arum) always and routinely kept the PPV numbers from many of Pac's bouts and the reason for that should be obvious but I'm sure you'll spin this and say that GBP was doing the same thing as you so eloquently stated before.

5. I never claimed that Manny isn't a draw,sure he is but this is still a sport at the end of the day about the bigger draw and right now like it or not, it is Floyd Mayweather and he is in the driver's seat regarding a fight with Manny. There is no way in hell that Arum an argue a 50-50 or nothing even similar because he is in no condition to make an offer, if he was smart then he should be willing to accept a 60-4 at best and a 65-35 at the least.

We can go back and forth all day long about this but I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you because apparently you are not being totally realistic about this sport, its' numbers and the way a loss (in this case 2 loses in a row) will affect a fighter at the negotiating table.

We probably won't see eye to eye on this so we'll see, I personally wouldn't of had a problem with 60-40. There's a reason I specifically stated that it was Arum who said it was because we all know how he talks shit, and it was HBO who released the Mayweather PPV numbers so there solid. But otherwise we have nothing to compare, at all. And if you really going with that card. Who beat Marquez first? Who beat Cotto first? Who beat Hatton more brutally? Who beat De La Hoya more brutally? You see the bullshit I can spit out, yet we know there's * to all those answers. and the number 3. people will go anywhere for a payday.
Cshel86
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 9 2013, 06:51 AM) *

Glad your having fun tongue.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 9 2013, 04:36 AM) *
Glad your having fun tongue.gif

Great discussions are always cool. Besides, I was a bit buzzed when I posted the Michael Jackson gif. I just saw a few guys exchanging some good points, lol.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 8 2013, 06:54 PM) *
We probably won't see eye to eye on this so we'll see, I personally wouldn't of had a problem with 60-40. There's a reason I specifically stated that it was Arum who said it was because we all know how he talks shit, and it was HBO who released the Mayweather PPV numbers so there solid. But otherwise we have nothing to compare, at all. And if you really going with that card. Who beat Marquez first? Who beat Cotto first? Who beat Hatton more brutally? Who beat De La Hoya more brutally? You see the bullshit I can spit out, yet we know there's * to all those answers. and the number 3. people will go anywhere for a payday.

LOL, cracked me up reading all these highlighted responses. Sure most people will go anywhere for a payday but I also know many in this sport who have not and won't. Yes, what I highlighted is BS but you gotta admit it is a fantasy to believe those reasons will be in consideration at the negotiating table when talking dollars and cents.

Like I said before, you are repeating the crap from Arum. I put about 1% credibility into anything a criminal like Bob Arum says when it comes to the fight game. Bob is too busy trying to figure who to safely pair Pac with to get the tarnish off of his cashcow because he knows that another loss especially to anyone other than JMM, Bradley or Floyd ruins his career totally.

That is why a loss is so devastating to Pac and the reason he won't get to fight Floyd should be apparently obvious, Arum won't accept nothing less than 50-50 and everyone who is logical knows that Pac doesn't deserve no more than a 60-40 split.
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 10 2013, 02:28 AM) *
LOL, cracked me up reading all these highlighted responses. Sure most people will go anywhere for a payday but I also know many in this sport who have not and won't. Yes, what I highlighted is BS but you gotta admit it is a fantasy to believe those reasons will be in consideration at the negotiating table when talking dollars and cents.

Like I said before, you are repeating the crap from Arum. I put about 1% credibility into anything a criminal like Bob Arum says when it comes to the fight game. Bob is too busy trying to figure who to safely pair Pac with to get the tarnish off of his cashcow because he knows that another loss especially to anyone other than JMM, Bradley or Floyd ruins his career totally.

That is why a loss is so devastating to Pac and the reason he won't get to fight Floyd should be apparently obvious, Arum won't accept nothing less than 50-50 and everyone who is logical knows that Pac doesn't deserve no more than a 60-40 split.

I never said they'd be considered, actually am the one who clearly stated they were bullshit, but you seemed pretty content to bring up the fact that Floyd beat X fighter first. What happens at the table we'll never know if it does happen or what its on, if I remember the first time around that this was ever going to happen when the drugs test was a problem Floyd agreed to a 50/50 split didn't he? Unless someone can correct me cause am not too sure

Also if you go fight Pac in China any eastern Asian country you stand to make a lot of money, they seem to love him a lot there. Imagine if it was in the Philippines they could probably find there biggest stage and sell out
Musashi100
i really have no problem with floyd fighting alexander. people are complaining about guerrero but whats the difference? both are C fighters in my eyes. devon has faced better opposition, granted his wins are questionable but he still faced better opposition.
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 10 2013, 05:07 AM) *
I never said they'd be considered, actually am the one who clearly stated they were bullshit, but you seemed pretty content to bring up the fact that Floyd beat X fighter first. What happens at the table we'll never know if it does happen or what its on, if I remember the first time around that this was ever going to happen when the drugs test was a problem Floyd agreed to a 50/50 split didn't he? Unless someone can correct me cause am not too sure

Also if you go fight Pac in China any eastern Asian country you stand to make a lot of money, they seem to love him a lot there. Imagine if it was in the Philippines they could probably find there biggest stage and sell out

No. He never agreed to that. Secondly, why would Floyd...the undefeated fighter with the better PPV numbers, go fight Manny in the Phillipines for equal pay. I mean really. People love to label Floyd as an ashole, and to an extent, rightfully so. That being said, if you took away the names and just called them fighter A and fighter B...this argument wouldnt even exist.

Fighter A
Undefeated
Regarded as #1 P4P
Biggest draw in the sport.
A the top of every fighters dream matchup list.
Considered the most skilled fighter by most
Has no promoter
Makes moremoney and generates more PPV than anyone in the sport.
Arguably has the better resume'
Beat some of the same guys fighter B bet at their natural weight BEFORE fighter B bet them

Fighter B
Impressive resume
Huge Draw
Beloved by most, especially HBO (cult like following)
Just behind Fighter A in PPV sales among active boxers
Has a promoter who robs him blind and makes significantly less than Fighter A
Has KO losses both recent and early in his career
Has looked very pedestrian in his last 4 fights
Has NEVER made the amount of money Fighter A offered him to fight
Has had extremely questionable responses to and avoidances of steroid allegations
Dric
Manny wanted the easiest fight possible, and didn't want to fight Marquez again but from what i read he would have to take less money. Anyway Manny messed up, he could of made way more money fighting Floyd than any other fighter he has faced in the past or in the mere future. But Manny (I'm Scared of needles) Pacquiao resigned with Top Rank with whom may not be handling his finances like they should be, and they ended up getting him beat. You can't keep fighting the same guy whom by the way has your number and not expect to get beat eventually. I was just shocked that he got knocked out lol. But Bob arum is what is wrong with boxing today, and its disgusting that good matches are not being made because of top rank conflict with golden boy.
mgrover
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 11 2013, 02:42 PM) *
No. He never agreed to that. Secondly, why would Floyd...the undefeated fighter with the better PPV numbers, go fight Manny in the Phillipines for equal pay. I mean really. People love to label Floyd as an ashole, and to an extent, rightfully so. That being said, if you took away the names and just called them fighter A and fighter B...this argument wouldnt even exist.

Fighter A
Undefeated
Regarded as #1 P4P
A the top of every fighters dream matchup list.
Has no promoter
Makes moremoney and generates more PPV than anyone in the sport.
Arguably has the better resume'
Beat some of the same guys fighter B bet at their natural weight BEFORE fighter B bet them - that's just technically Mosley and DLH, yet it was DLH who wanted the welterweight limit?.

Fighter B
Impressive resume
Huge Draw
Beloved by most, especially HBO (cult like following)
Has KO losses both recent and early in his career
Has looked very pedestrian in his last 4 fights
Has NEVER made the amount of money Fighter A offered him to fight
Has had extremely questionable responses to and avoidances of steroid allegations

Am not talking about Floyd, am on about any other fighter that doesn't realistically draw as much as them two.

But the thing with the natural weight, am sure you could make that argument that Pac beat Marquez at his natural weight. Having a promoter that robs him blind has nothing to do with making a fight, I don't understand why Mayweather brings this up and am paraphrasing he says that Pac cannot have a 50/50 split because he has to pay Arum, but realistically aren't they both payed whatever and that's dispersed to other parties? Promoters, trainers etc

But a more fairish comparison would be

Fighter A
Undefeated
Regarded as #1 P4P
Makes more money and generates more PPV than anyone in the sport.
Has no promoter
Arguably has the better resume
Beat some of the same guys fighter B beat at their natural weight BEFORE fighter B beat them
Never made the type of money that he offered fighter B

Fighter B
Impressive resume yet recently has declined and was recently KOed
Top ten P4P maybe
Second Biggest draw in the sport
Has above average offense
Has beaten men above his weight natural weight
Beat some of the same guys fighter A beat at their natural weight BEFORE fighter A beat them
Never has made the type of money Fighter A offered him.

That's more of an objective list to directly compare the two.

To be fair its all sad now for boxing, I even chuckled at the guy who said this fight would of happened in September on the front page.

BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 11 2013, 10:37 AM) *
Am not talking about Floyd, am on about any other fighter that doesn't realistically draw as much as them two.

But the thing with the natural weight, am sure you could make that argument that Pac beat Marquez at his natural weight. Having a promoter that robs him blind has nothing to do with making a fight, I don't understand why Mayweather brings this up and am paraphrasing he says that Pac cannot have a 50/50 split because he has to pay Arum, but realistically aren't they both payed whatever and that's dispersed to other parties? Promoters, trainers etc

But a more fairish comparison would be

Fighter A
Undefeated
Regarded as #1 P4P
Makes more money and generates more PPV than anyone in the sport.
Has no promoter
Arguably has the better resume
Beat some of the same guys fighter B beat at their natural weight BEFORE fighter B beat them
Never made the type of money that he offered fighter B

Fighter B
Impressive resume yet recently has declined and was recently KOed
Top ten P4P maybe
Second Biggest draw in the sport
Has above average offense
Has beaten men above his weight natural weight
Beat some of the same guys fighter A beat at their natural weight BEFORE fighter A beat them
Never has made the type of money Fighter A offered him.

That's more of an objective list to directly compare the two.

To be fair its all sad now for boxing, I even chuckled at the guy who said this fight would of happened in September on the front page.

In this case it does or do you not know the history of Arum vs Mayweather? I really do not expect much objectivity from a guy who's Avatar is saying that Floyd is a Chicken but there is enough information regarding the bad blood history of Arum to Floyd and the reasons why Mayweather left him as much so as it is from Arum to Oscar and the reasons he left him for one to gather enough intel to understand why this matters.

What I've learned from being a real fan of boxing the sport and not just some bandwagon Pacquiao fan (as most seem to be on the net these days) is that the overwhelming vast majority of those who started following boxing once Manny got popular is that they just seem to be no more than Parrots or Mockingbirds that simply reguirgitate the lies that come from Arum without checking the facts.

Floyd never agreed to 50-50 but there is a fact that Pac said he'd take less, again Arum being the culprit here still wouldn't allow the fight to happen but I guess the blinded Pac faithful can never seem to see this with Arum's sh*t covering their eyeballs.

Pac never deserved a 50-50 split and now he most definitely doesn't come nowhere near close to it, Manny lost out on 40 million and took 2 loses in a row (one devastatingly) but still Pac's fans come on the net and on this forum pretending to mask their so called "objectivity" behind garbage that they call facts when it is apparent that their logic comes from Arum.

Amazing that this blame game on Floyd continues after we can clearly see the hypocrisy from Arum and the clear avoidance of this fight by Manny Pac and his camp but what else can one expect by those who only follow Fighter B instead of the boxing game itself??

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.