Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Back With His Dad
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MaxPayne
Well, it appears that Floyd Mayweather Sr. will be training his son for the upcoming May 4th bout.

What are your thoughts on this development ?
bnoles4life
Saw that...cautiously optimistic. I think this might be what Floyd needs. He may need a lil' "grass roots" return, as he's getting older. Maybe w/ Sr. in camp, PBF won't "run" his camp a la the old Cotto. That being said, Sr. might need to be reminded, he's the "hired" help, NOT the star. If they can't both fulfill their respective roles, this will be "train wreck tv", once again and the naysayers, critics and HBO execs, will be creaming in their pants.
mitukczuk
If there will be some kind of a drama I am sure, that much like B-Hop, Floyd will be able to train himself in a way. Not saying having a trainer is unnecessary of course!
HOWEVER, I think this will not happen as I am sure Floyd has agreed to his father training him only under the condition Floyd Sr. will not try to be a bigger star. I believe they had been talking a lot about it before the announcement was made.

I too think this can help Floyd. Sometimes during his fight with Cotto he was overly aggressive, which is something Floyd Sr. won't allow. I expect a defensively minded Jr. on May 4th.

Idc if hes fighting Guano or Alexander....even if he would fight a monkey I would tune in just to see how the chemistry between these two is working.

Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 14 2013, 09:03 AM) *
cautiously optimistic

Couldn't have said it better myself. laugh.gif

As long as Roger's on 24/7 and I can get a good laugh in, then I'm cool with that. As long as Sr. remembers, "I'm that dad that went to prison, and came home to a son that took care of me by making millions".

As long as he thinks this, then he'll be fine. Unfortunately, he likes to play the "I'm your daddy, I got all of this started" trump card. laugh.gif
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2013, 10:25 AM) *
As long as he thinks this, then he'll be fine. Unfortunately, he likes to play the "I'm your daddy, I got all of this started" trump card. laugh.gif

It will come up in 24/7s no doubt. HOWEVER....I think that Floyd Sr. had his ego problems mainly because he wasn't in the driving seat and Roger was training lil' Floyd. Once he is in that driving seat (corner) he might act more appropriately...but as I stated above, I think that before Floyd made his decision..an extensive negotiation took place..
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 14 2013, 10:23 AM) *
It will come up in 24/7s no doubt. HOWEVER....I think that Floyd Sr. had his ego problems mainly because he wasn't in the driving seat and Roger was training lil' Floyd. Once he is in that driving seat (corner) he might act more appropriately...but as I stated above, I think that before Floyd made his decision..an extensive negotiation took place..

Let's hope so, lol.

I remember he got out of prison and started training Floyd...that shit lasted every bit of 2 years, and was done. laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2013, 10:25 AM) *
Couldn't have said it better myself. laugh.gif

As long as Roger's on 24/7 and I can get a good laugh in, then I'm cool with that. As long as Sr. remembers, "I'm that dad that went to prison, and came home to a son that took care of me by making millions".

I don't like this, his dad is a completely different person than roger. Floyd Sr will not let Floyd do what he wants and that's something Floyd has gotten used to. I think were gonna see a lot of clashing during camp.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 14 2013, 12:05 PM) *
I don't like this, his dad is a completely different person than roger. Floyd Sr will not let Floyd do what he wants and that's something Floyd has gotten used to. I think were gonna see a lot of clashing during camp.

This "clashing" will pay the bills...I think they know it and use it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 14 2013, 11:05 AM) *

They can clash all they want during camp, but Sr. wont have any control after the first bell rings. Hell, Floyd might pull a Berto and fight a completely different game plan. Well, this time, it will be a Roger-type plan with an excellent shoulder roll, rather than that eye sore that Berto blessed us with for 12 rounds. Lol
The Original MrFactor
Guess i'm concerned about Roger at this point. Hope he's ok...
leonthegee
Floyd will be sharper defensively. He will use his jab and there will be more straight right hands. Sr doesnt get alot of credit for Oscar but he really developed Oscars right hand.
truth
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 14 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Floyd will be sharper defensively. He will use his jab and there will be more straight right hands. Sr doesnt get alot of credit for Oscar but he really developed Oscars right hand.

I agree the type of boxer mayweather is going to be with sr. Is defensive and that combined with accurate punches makes a long night for whoever he fights. Also with him going to jail he will be stronger making him punch harder
BoxingStill#1
All i see is prolly the best Mayweather 24/7 yet..

Same Mayweather in the ring tho
Dolimite
God bless them both. I mean I am happy about this. I really am.
daprofessor
this script sounds all too familiar....

what are the chances that floyd blames a loss or a bad performance on "not wanting to let his pops take credit for the victory..." ala roy jones jr? laugh.gif

mrchitown
Can't wait to see how this plays out, if they both can check their egos at the door then this could work out beautifully. And though I know Roger is ill, I still hope that he's in camp and helping Floyd any way that he can
BigFightFan
I'm not to sure this reunion is solely based on Rogers health issues. I seen a video a couple weeks back of roger in the gym and he looked fine. FMWJr possibly pulled his dad back in so he wouldn't work with Dirrell, to spice up the 24/7, and to sell PPV. Genuine or not this may be the best 24/7 yet and we may see roger and Floyd Sr bump heads in the gym.

Hopefully we will get an unexpected opponent once the fight is announced. I prefer Canelo, Bradley, or Marquez over Devon and the ghost.
MaxPayne
Something about this doesn't sit well with me.

I'm a big fan of continuity, even for a fighter who is such a master of his craft, that he hardly needs any kind of instruction other than words of encouragement between rounds.

I'm a little worried that Big Floyd may try and step into the picture much more than Roger did. Think about how connected you feel when your siblings or kids are involved in any kind of competition.

I just don't want Floyd to get distracted, especially if there's a big moment in the fight, and he gets into it with his Dad at the corner.

I would have been much more at ease if Floyd chose Jeff Mayweather to train him instead.
leonthegee
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Feb 15 2013, 04:04 AM) *
Something about this doesn't sit well with me.

I'm a big fan of continuity, even for a fighter who is such a master of his craft, that he hardly needs any kind of instruction other than words of encouragement between rounds.

I'm a little worried that Big Floyd may try and step into the picture much more than Roger did. Think about how connected you feel when your siblings or kids are involved in any kind of competition.

I just don't want Floyd to get distracted, especially if there's a big moment in the fight, and he gets into it with his Dad at the corner.

I would have been much more at ease if Floyd chose Jeff Mayweather to train him instead.

Your being a little bit too cynical. Sr has been waiting in the wings for a decade. Plus Floyds not a kid anymore. Do you really think Srs gonna waltz up in the gym and boom, " hate this, hate that, change this, change that?" They only have 8 weeks or so. How much could he change Floyd really?
Franchize
As long as they respect one another, it'll be great. That's a big question mark though. I tell you one thing, his defense will be at 110%.

Btw, I'm really pulling for Roger. No doubt if Roger and Floyd aren't in the same corner, Roger must be having some very serious health concerns. Prayers to Uncle Rog man. I love that guy. He's what boxing needs more of. A TRUE trainer with REAL boxing knowledge and deep rooted passion for the sweet science. He's one of the last trainers that realize that skills beats talent!
Franchize
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 15 2013, 07:38 AM) *
Your being a little bit too cynical. Sr has been waiting in the wings for a decade. Plus Floyds not a kid anymore. Do you really think Srs gonna waltz up in the gym and boom, " hate this, hate that, change this, change that?" They only have 8 weeks or so. How much could he change Floyd really?

laugh.gif LMAO @ "hate this, hate that, change this, change that" Like some sort of interior decorator.
checkleft
QUOTE (truth @ Feb 14 2013, 05:19 PM) *
I agree the type of boxer mayweather is going to be with sr. Is defensive and that combined with accurate punches makes a long night for whoever he fights. Also with him going to jail he will be stronger making him punch harder

"If that's what you say bruh" lmao
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 14 2013, 06:54 PM) *
All i see is prolly the best Mayweather 24/7 yet..

Same Mayweather in the ring tho

yea, hearing Floyd was gonna train Jr actually made me want the Alexander fight just so him and Cunningham could go at it. Cause honestly Floyd is gonna emberrass guerrero on 24/7. Robert just tries so hard and just comes off as corny and a hypocrite. He preaches all this Christianity stuff but he hangs out with nothing but cholos yet he's from gilroy lol..
daprofessor
could this possibly be because of floyd's poor performance against cotto?
BigFightFan
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 15 2013, 04:12 PM) *

Great point! This could be exactly the reason he brought his dad in, but Roger should be apart of camp as well. Sick or not Roger should be apart of the camp
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Feb 15 2013, 07:19 PM) *
Great point! This could be exactly the reason he brought his dad in, but Roger should be apart of camp as well. Sick or not Roger should be apart of the camp

floyd talked all that shit about loyalty to his uncle blah,blah,blah...and cotto not having loyalty. laugh.gif this shit happens all the time. i don't know rogers situation....but it's an easy excuse and roger doesn't seem like the type to rock the boat for floyd. there are a lot of of ways to look at this...but i honestly believe floyd sr is the reason for all that skill. i've seen them both put in work and watched them teach. it's clear to me, floyd sr is the best boxing mind in that family. there's no denying floyd jr or rogers accomplishments....but floyd sr knows his shit.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 15 2013, 04:25 PM) *
floyd talked all that shit about loyalty to his uncle blah,blah,blah...and cotto not having loyalty. laugh.gif this shit happens all the time. i don't know rogers situation....but it's an easy excuse and roger doesn't seem like the type to rock the boat for floyd. there are a lot of of ways to look at this...but i honestly believe floyd sr is the reason for all that skill. i've seen them both put in work and watched them teach. it's clear to me, floyd sr is the best boxing mind in that family. there's no denying floyd jr or rogers accomplishments....but floyd sr knows his shit.

If that were the case Jr. would have gotten rid of his uncle years ago. I honestly believe Roger is on the down slide plus it seems that he really has a close relationship with his dad, but who knows what happens behind closed doors. Do you really think Floyd had a bad performance against Cotto? Wow.
I thought it was a tough fight and Floyd knew that going in. Whoever he picks I am sure it will make for interesting television especially with his dad in the picture. I am sure 24/7 will open up its series with showing the clip of that infamous fight between father and son. Then they will go from there. The show will be around if father and son can get along. We shall see. THis shit really sales itself.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 15 2013, 07:32 PM) *
If that were the case Jr. would have gotten rid of his uncle years ago. I honestly believe Roger is on the down slide plus it seems that he really has a close relationship with his dad, but who knows what happens behind closed doors. Do you really think Floyd had a bad performance against Cotto? Wow.
I thought it was a tough fight and Floyd knew that going in. Whoever he picks I am sure it will make for interesting television especially with his dad in the picture. I am sure 24/7 will open up its series with showing the clip of that infamous fight between father and son. Then they will go from there. The show will be around if father and son can get along. We shall see. THis shit really sales itself.

before i comment...anyone else keep getting these annoying ass pop ups???

floyd is on the downside. anyone in their 30's and beyond usually is...

compared with floyds' usual standards...you hardly ever see him lose a round...yes...he had a bad performance in comparison to his others. that's not a knock on floyd by any means. cotto is no slouch.

if floyd pics guerrero...it's going to be a very tough night for him. i can't see him picking anyone else. especially not alexander.

i think canelo/trout should be the main event.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 15 2013, 05:05 PM) *
before i comment...anyone else keep getting these annoying ass pop ups???

floyd is on the downside. anyone in their 30's and beyond usually is...

compared with floyds' usual standards...you hardly ever see him lose a round...yes...he had a bad performance in comparison to his others. that's not a knock on floyd by any means. cotto is no slouch.

if floyd pics guerrero...it's going to be a very tough night for him. i can't see him picking anyone else. especially not alexander.

i think canelo/trout should be the main event.

Interesting, I think the bar is set high. Hell Floyd lost rounds against De La Hoya. I mean Cotto is still a dangerous fighter. I thought it was a very good scrap and it showed Floyd has heart and some fight in him. i enjoyed it!
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 15 2013, 11:06 PM) *
Interesting, I think the bar is set high. Hell Floyd lost rounds against De La Hoya. I mean Cotto is still a dangerous fighter. I thought it was a very good scrap and it showed Floyd has heart and some fight in him. i enjoyed it!

Yea but dlh won rounds based mostly on activity. Cotto was (and always does) doing a good job of timing his jab and disrupting floyds rhythm. I honestly don't see guerrero doing that, has turned more into a phone booth type brawler since his long layoff. He used to box a bit but now he just lives in his opponents chest which I think maybe his downfall if he fights Floyd. He may rough mayweather up but he busts up real easy and I think floyds shots in the pocket will eventually be too much for him.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 15 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Poor performance ?
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 15 2013, 11:28 PM) *
Yea but dlh won rounds based mostly on activity. Cotto was (and always does) doing a good job of timing his jab and disrupting floyds rhythm. I honestly don't see guerrero doing that, has turned more into a phone booth type brawler since his long layoff. He used to box a bit but now he just lives in his opponents chest which I think maybe his downfall if he fights Floyd. He may rough mayweather up but he busts up real easy and I think floyds shots in the pocket will eventually be too much for him.

I swear De La Hoya gased out during that fight. I was so pissed! I was going for Floyd all the way but just for once I wanted Oscar to just show that he had will power to win. Cotto wasn't intimidated by Mayweather and I think it helped in the fight, I honestly believe Margarito took too much from him mentally. Cotto has heart and boxing IQ and it is amazing people are calling him shot! By the way the news is that Floyd is officially ducking Guerrero. Wow and Oprah is poor.
neophyte7
Guerrero did not have an easy time with Berto and was getting his head lifted up and back with shots. His holding and hitting style will not work against Floyd... he is going to get overwhelmed if the fight happens... He does not present the same types of problems Ortiz presented-- He may pull a page out of Ortiz's head butt book in this one---Guerrero is lucky-- really has not done shit and gets a fight with Floyd... he is blessed.. LMAO
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Feb 14 2013, 07:38 AM) *
Well, it appears that Floyd Mayweather Sr. will be training his son for the upcoming May 4th bout.

What are your thoughts on this development ?

At this point Floyd Jr needs to just listen to his Father and not get into petty arguments about what he is supposed to do once he steps in the ring, he (Jr) has to realize that although Sr is his father that he is also his Trainer of whom he should and must listen to. Unlike Roger, Sr will have valid things to say to Jr when he is in there fighting/between rounds, he will tell Floyd what he sees and what to correct and what to capitalize on.

I think this could be a good thing for little Floyd but if he fights with his dad then this will turn into tragedy.
Dolimite
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 17 2013, 01:26 PM) *
At this point Floyd Jr needs to just listen to his Father and not get into petty arguments about what he is supposed to do once he steps in the ring, he (Jr) has to realize that although Sr is his father that he is also his Trainer of whom he should and must listen to. Unlike Roger, Sr will have valid things to say to Jr when he is in there fighting/between rounds, he will tell Floyd what he sees and what to correct and what to capitalize on.

I think this could be a good thing for little Floyd but if he fights with his dad then this will turn into tragedy.

I don't see that happening. Floyd knows his father knows a lot about boxing. He has listened to him before during fights so why wouldn't he listen to him now. Roger gives great advice "keep doing what you doing" lol
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 17 2013, 10:10 PM) *
I don't see that happening. Floyd knows his father knows a lot about boxing. He has listened to him before during fights so why wouldn't he listen to him now. Roger gives great advice "keep doing what you doing" lol

hey if it aint broke dont fix it lol
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 17 2013, 04:10 PM) *

Like you, I hope it doesn't happen but let's not forget that they almost came to blows a couple of months back into 2012 and both have egos bigger than Mt. St. Helens.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 16 2013, 07:11 AM) *
Poor performance ?

i know the spin doctors and judges only gave cotto 2 rounds....i had him winning at least 4...at the most 5. you don't make excuses for great performances.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 15 2013, 10:06 PM) *

that scoring was bullshit in the dlh fight. i thought floyd won 9 to 3. dlh threw a lot of punches but very few landed. i thought floyd carried him in an attempt to get the rematch. no doubt cotto was still dangerous when floyd fought him. i think trout has de-fanged and de-clawed him.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 20 2013, 11:50 AM) *
that scoring was bullshit in the dlh fight. i thought floyd won 9 to 3. dlh threw a lot of punches but very few landed. i thought floyd carried him in an attempt to get the rematch. no doubt cotto was still dangerous when floyd fought him. i think trout has de-fanged and de-clawed him.

You gave Oscar 3 rounds? You were more generous than I was. I gave him 2. He gassed out and not only that but he did not make Mayweather work. Floyd was hitting him at will and even saw where Oscar's punches were coming from and to make things worse, Oscar never used his sizes to his advantage! Most of his punches were blocked and even worse this dude GASSED out! How does that happen? Floyd boxed beautifully even though Oscar's HBO fan boys said differently! Sucks for HBO now doesn't it?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 20 2013, 02:33 PM) *
You gave Oscar 3 rounds? You were more generous than I was. I gave him 2. He gassed out and not only that but he did not make Mayweather work. Floyd was hitting him at will and even saw where Oscar's punches were coming from and to make things worse, Oscar never used his sizes to his advantage! Most of his punches were blocked and even worse this dude GASSED out! How does that happen? Floyd boxed beautifully even though Oscar's HBO fan boys said differently! Sucks for HBO now doesn't it?

yes...i was being generous. laugh.gif

it's more tiring to miss than to land. that's why oscar gassed.
neophyte7
[quote name='Dolimite' date='Feb 20 2013, 02:33 PM' post='574177']
You gave Oscar 3 rounds? You were more generous than I was. I gave him 2.

LMAO-- I love it when people keep it real... I concur Oscar looked amatuerish as hell LOL

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.