Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather signs 6 fight deal w/showtime: Announces Guerrero as May 4th opponent
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
sduck
Depends on how Floyd holds up with the age and layoff, otherwise I see a Mayweather/Ortiz repeat though going the distance.
ks1
Good job da professor with the Devils advocacy and keeping things on an even keel but, c'mon man, those rose colored glasses are starting to get a little too rose colored. laugh.gif Ortiz "rocked" Jr. before the headbutt?, the "pressure of Pac being Koed"?! (say what?), the transition to Sr., the big Showtime deal (Jr. has been fighting big high profile money fights for years now) and the jail thing is little funny to me. It's not like Jr. was locked down like Tyson or Ike Beat-a-hoochie.

Guerrero seems to have a good mind frame so far and you never know what can happen but, based on the available evidence, I just don't see much trouble for FMJ.
flazi
QUOTE (ks1 @ Feb 22 2013, 11:23 AM) *
Ike Beat-a-hoochie.

i lol'd
flazi
in examining guerrero fights and career i just don't see anything that could have prepared him for floyd. Floyd is special, he was sparring with champs as a teenager and has forgotten more about boxing than guerrero has learned. guerrero actually thinks the shoulder roll is all floyd has and thinks he can steamroll it like with berto? is this guy nuts or what? did he not see the judah fight? no shoulder roll there. its going to be a good fight and he will win like 3 or 4 rounds but i see him getting stopped and overwhelmed.
daprofessor
QUOTE (ks1 @ Feb 22 2013, 03:23 PM) *
Good job da professor with the Devils advocacy and keeping things on an even keel but, c'mon man, those rose colored glasses are starting to get a little too rose colored. laugh.gif Ortiz "rocked" Jr. before the headbutt?, the "pressure of Pac being Koed"?! (say what?), the transition to Sr., the big Showtime deal (Jr. has been fighting big high profile money fights for years now) and the jail thing is little funny to me. It's not like Jr. was locked down like Tyson or Ike Beat-a-hoochie.

Guerrero seems to have a good mind frame so far and you never know what can happen but, based on the available evidence, I just don't see much trouble for FMJ.

laugh.gif

ortiz hit floyd with a right hook that landed clean and had floyd reeling to the ropes. ortiz followed up with a bullshit combination where nothing landed. the head butt was out of frustration. go back and watch it in slow motion.

yes....pac was knocked off his pedestal. discrediting, humiliating and just plain hating on pac was part of floyds m.o. there is pressure on him to not fall of that pedestal as well.

yeah...but he's never had a 200 million dollar deal for 6 fights/30mo's.

the jail thing had him doing an excessive amount of push ups that changed his physical make up. he came out top heavy just like i said he would. that's going to effect him in the ring.
ks1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 22 2013, 03:44 PM) *
laugh.gif

ortiz hit floyd with a right hook that landed clean and had floyd reeling to the ropes. ortiz followed up with a bullshit combination where nothing landed. the head butt was out of frustration. go back and watch it in slow motion.

yes....pac was knocked off his pedestal. discrediting, humiliating and just plain hating on pac was part of floyds m.o. there is pressure on him to not fall of that pedestal as well.

yeah...but he's never had a 200 million dollar deal for 6 fights/30mo's.

the jail thing had him doing an excessive amount of push ups that changed his physical make up. he came out top heavy just like i said he would. that's going to effect him in the ring.

I dunno, I'll look at the Ortiz thing again. The hating on Pac thing seemed more to be a business thing than anything else and the overall pressure has been there for awhile now. The money is even bigger now but he was already the highest paid athlete in the world last year.

About the jail thing, was he really at the swoll up? I'm sure he did pushups but it's not like he was smashing big weight on the bench/rape station in the yard at San Quentin. He's been out for what? at least 6 months now? so any changes to his psychique would probably have been temporary at best.
daprofessor
QUOTE (ks1 @ Feb 22 2013, 05:17 PM) *
I dunno, I'll look at the Ortiz thing again. The hating on Pac thing seemed more to be a business thing than anything else and the overall pressure has been there for awhile now. The money is even bigger now but he was already the highest paid athlete in the world last year.

About the jail thing, was he really at the swoll up? I'm sure he did pushups but it's not like he was smashing big weight on the bench/rape station in the yard at San Quentin. He's been out for what? at least 6 months now? so any changes to his psychique would probably have been temporary at best.

i think the pac thing was more than just business. there was definitely a tinge of jealousy going on there with floyd....like how dare they put this guy #1 p4p. the hbo commentators and the bullshit websites definitely fanned the flames over the years. whatever the case...those two will always be linked historically for the fight that never happened. if his focus is slightly off...it could spell trouble. sure...he was the highest paid athlete...but trying to out do himself....at some point the pressure has to be felt.

yes, he was that swoll up. go back and look at the pics. u don't put muscle like that on and take it off immediately. it's the wrong kind of muscle too. i've not seen pics of him lately. 6 months of inactivity may reduce it...i'll hold off on that one until i see him.
Dolimite
Guerrero is spitting the same mantra that everyone who fights Mayweather says: He has what it takes to beat him. I do like the fact that he doesn't think Mayweather is the best fighter and that he picks and chooses his opponents (which is what they are saying about you Rob, that you were carefully handpicked by Floyd...Irony). The reason why I like this is because Guerrero isn't showing May any respect or accolades. He knows that he will be in for a fight and there is no use for kissing butt. Robert id 5'9 and a left handed fighter. This fight might be interesting. My money is still on May. I am calling it now. With May's father in his corner defense will be stone tight. I am looking for Kenny Bayless to be the ref and I am calling it for a 10th round knock out. any bets?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 22 2013, 08:07 PM) *
Guerrero is spitting the same mantra that everyone who fights Mayweather says: He has what it takes to beat him. I do like the fact that he doesn't think Mayweather is the best fighter and that he picks and chooses his opponents (which is what they are saying about you Rob, that you were carefully handpicked by Floyd...Irony). The reason why I like this is because Guerrero isn't showing May any respect or accolades. He knows that he will be in for a fight and there is no use for kissing butt. Robert id 5'9 and a left handed fighter. This fight might be interesting. My money is still on May. I am calling it now. With May's father in his corner defense will be stone tight. I am looking for Kenny Bayless to be the ref and I am calling it for a 10th round knock out. any bets?

guerrero stacks himself up against floyds last few opponents. each had a small degree of success. he sees where he can have those same successes and then some. his assessment of himself and floyd are both accurate ones. he knows it's not going to be easy and he actually gives mayweather credit without praising him too much. i like his demeanor going into this fight. i think the smart bet is on floyd...but at this point...the only thing i am confident on betting on is that guerrero will go the distance. no way floyd is stopping him. i also believe there will be a lot of unhappy fans after the fight. the win...if floyd gets it will be controversial or tarnished someway by guerrero's perceived success.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 22 2013, 06:13 PM) *
guerrero stacks himself up against floyds last few opponents. each had a small degree of success. he sees where he can have those same successes and then some. his assessment of himself and floyd are both accurate ones. he knows it's not going to be easy and he actually gives mayweather credit without praising him too much. i like his demeanor going into this fight. i think the smart bet is on floyd...but at this point...the only thing i am confident on betting on is that guerrero will go the distance. no way floyd is stopping him. i also believe there will be a lot of unhappy fans after the fight. the win...if floyd gets it will be controversial or tarnished someway by guerrero's perceived success.

Yeah, we are both saying the same thing but I do have a feeling Mayweather may actually look for the knock out in the later rounds. Guerrero is taller and actually bigger than Floyd. I am curious how he deals with his size and if he neutralize Guerrero's aggression. I am also curious to see what adjustments Guerrero plans on making in the fight. This should be interesting all around. so many different story lines at play. I just hope Sr, and Jr can work together especially it being black history in all. LOL
Jack 1000
Three Good Articles (Links at the link below.)

"Could the Mayweather Deal Collapse Under it's own Success?"

Learned that Floyd has total say of opponents in the deal." (Like Roy Jones in his prime at HBO, and many know where that lead.) Also, the opponent list is included in the plan, and unfortunately, outside of Guerrero, who isn't even well know to non-boxing fans, there's not really a lot of big names to justify the $60 PPV cost. Granted these ARE NOT the bums that Jones fought in his prime. Problem is, few are gonna pay $60 to watch Floyd fight Devon Alexander. Yes, he's on the list:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/boxing-buzz-170-173639

Jack
mrchitown
I saw on multiple websites including the Boston herald's article and on ESB about Mayweather reportedly turning in a list of opponents. And those opponents were Angulo, Alexander, Guerrero, Garcia, Maidana, and Canelo

I hope that's not true, there's only one name on there that poses a risk of him losing and that his Alvarez. With Showtime basically guaranteeing Mayweather's purses, this puts an interesting spin on things
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 25 2013, 06:45 PM) *
Three Good Articles (Links at the link below.)

"Could the Mayweather Deal Collapse Under it's own Success?"

Learned that Floyd has total say of opponents in the deal." (Like Roy Jones in his prime at HBO, and many know where that lead.) Also, the opponent list is included in the plan, and unfortunately, outside of Guerrero, who isn't even well know to non-boxing fans, there's not really a lot of big names to justify the $60 PPV cost. Granted these ARE NOT the bums that Jones fought in his prime. Problem is, few are gonna pay $60 to watch Floyd fight Devon Alexander. Yes, he's on the list:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/boxing-buzz-170-173639

Jack

i saw that list...it left a lot to be desired. honestly....for both floyd and showtime....it's a bit premature to be making multi fight deals. a win isn't exactly guaranteed in his next fight. i stated in another thread that i saw the potential for this to nose dive if he looks like shit against guerrero, which i believe he will.
Plah
Bums or not, the Roy Jones of the 90's doesn't lose to anyone from that era.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 25 2013, 07:54 PM) *
Bums or not, the Roy Jones of the 90's doesn't lose to anyone from that era.

we'll never know.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 25 2013, 05:47 PM) *
I saw on multiple websites including the Boston herald's article and on ESB about Mayweather reportedly turning in a list of opponents. And those opponents were Angulo, Alexander, Guerrero, Garcia, Maidana, and Canelo

I hope that's not true, there's only one name on there that poses a risk of him losing and that his Alvarez. With Showtime basically guaranteeing Mayweather's purses, this puts an interesting spin on things

Honestly, I see Guerrero as more of a threat than Alverez and I still think Floyd beats "The Ghost" as well. I just don't think "Cinnamon Head" is all that good.

The one factor is the layoff, and how many springs may have been lost in Floyd's steps. But what can Alverez do against Floyd to give him a chance of winning? Their best efforts are strong and determined Castillo, and neither Guerrero nor Alverez have the experience of Castillo. I think Guerrero's best chance is a Castillo I type of fight. Middle-ground is a Hatton type of fight, and worst is a swell and bust up one sided fight like Genaro Hernandez. I hope Robert doesn't get that! I can't tell you how its gonna go, I could see all three possibilities, well maybe not the Hernandez type of fight, Robert's got a great chin, but again does his face hold up? Alverez is a bigger name than Gurerro, but Guerrero is the tougher fighter. at least on paper.

Jack
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 25 2013, 11:05 PM) *
Honestly, I see Guerrero as more of a threat than Alverez and I still think Floyd beats "The Ghost" as well. I just don't think "Cinnamon Head" is all that good.

The one factor is the layoff, and how many springs may have been lost in Floyd's steps. But what can Alverez do against Floyd to give him a chance of winning? Their best efforts are strong and determined Castillo, and neither Guerrero nor Alverez have the experience of Castillo. I think Guerrero's best chance is a Castillo I type of fight. Middle-ground is a Hatton type of fight, and worst is a swell and bust up one sided fight like Genaro Hernandez. I hope Robert doesn't get that! I can't tell you how its gonna go, I could see all three possibilities, well maybe not the Hernandez type of fight, Robert's got a great chin, but again does his face hold up? Alverez is a bigger name than Gurerro, but Guerrero is the tougher fighter. at least on paper.

Jack

Guerrero I think is going to try to maul Floyd but I think he'll end up eating some shots on his way in, in order to get his offense going. I could see his face getting marked up and maybe his eye getting closed Ortiz style. He brings different tools to the fight but I think this is his best option to pull off the win. But depending on which way he tries to fight will decide what Floyd chooses to do. Regardless I see him beating Guerrero and if he fights in September I think he'll beat Canelo soundly too
mgrover
Imagine if the ghost comes out and tries to outbox Floyd, now that's be a shocker
Franchize
I think Floyd is too much of an opportunist to make a list of people to fight ahead of time. What if those guys get beat horribly in the near future and lose their buzz? Boxing is home to the literal "one hit wonders". I can't imagine why someone would pigeonhole themselves like that.

AS far as the Ghost is concerned, the only thing that I see as a threat regarding him is his reach. Floyd hasn't fought a tall guy in a while.
Cshel86
Is it me, or did it appear that Floyd was getting that credit that he "truly deserved" last weekend? It was just too weird for me. Lol
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 26 2013, 02:46 AM) *
Imagine if the ghost comes out and tries to outbox Floyd, now that's be a shocker

It would be a big shock.. but I don't think it would be smart
The Original MrFactor
If that list is correct, I'm not paying to see him to fight any of those guys. Maidana?? Really?? The same on who lost at 140 to Khan. the same one that Devon Alexander had his signature win against. I'd still pay $60 for a Pacquiao fight. I think Angulo beats him at 154. I know, I know Floyd is unbeatable... I'm not so convinced he fights those 154lb guys on the list. The article was right in referencing the HBO/Roy Jones debacle. If you let the fighter handpick his opponents, then it becomes a series of exhibitions and showcases. Floyd beats Garcia and Maidana because they are too small at this point. He beats Alexander because he's just not good enough. I dont think he ever fights Canelo or Angulo. He's not gonna fight a 154lb guy in their prime. Just face it...
Dolimite
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 26 2013, 03:19 PM) *
If that list is correct, I'm not paying to see him to fight any of those guys. Maidana?? Really?? The same on who lost at 140 to Khan. the same one that Devon Alexander had his signature win against. I'd still pay $60 for a Pacquiao fight. I think Angulo beats him at 154. I know, I know Floyd is unbeatable... I'm not so convinced he fights those 154lb guys on the list. The article was right in referencing the HBO/Roy Jones debacle. If you let the fighter handpick his opponents, then it becomes a series of exhibitions and showcases. Floyd beats Garcia and Maidana because they are too small at this point. He beats Alexander because he's just not good enough. I dont think he ever fights Canelo or Angulo. He's not gonna fight a 154lb guy in their prime. Just face it...

Here is my problem with that article, what credibility does it have? I mean is this here say or has this been actually a done deal? I just think people like to discredit this deal and Floyd. I just feel we have to wait and see. We can't jump at every article and says this is gospel.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 26 2013, 05:30 PM) *
Here is my problem with that article, what credibility does it have? I mean is this here say or has this been actually a done deal? I just think people like to discredit this deal and Floyd. I just feel we have to wait and see. We can't jump at every article and says this is gospel.

It's not just one source or one article, it's multiple sites and the biggest one is the Boston Herald, which is pretty reputable. True the list is a rumor but the source came from inside of Showtime. If the list is true, what happens if one of them loses, then he'd have to look elsewhere

Now whether it comes to fruition is another story but IF it's true then that is truly the definition of cherry picking. I like Floyd just as much as you do but c'mon bruh, even you need to man up and admit those are horrible fights. There is only 2 PPV worthy fights on there and that's Canelo and the one he got coming up.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 27 2013, 12:35 AM) *
It's not just one source or one article, it's multiple sites and the biggest one is the Boston Herald, which is pretty reputable. True the list is a rumor but the source came from inside of Showtime. If the list is true, what happens if one of them loses, then he'd have to look elsewhere

Now whether it comes to fruition is another story but IF it's true then that is truly the definition of cherry picking. I like Floyd just as much as you do but c'mon bruh, even you need to man up and admit those are horrible fights. There is only 2 PPV worthy fights on there and that's Canelo and the one he got coming up.

Let's expand on this. What should the list include? Obviously we have:

1.) Guerrero, which is a go.
2.) Alverez (If he beats Trout) No Given.
3.) Trout-if he beats Alverez (I think Trout should be on the list if he wins.)
4.) Pacquiao-No longer Superfight status, but it's better than many others on "Floyd's List." Devon Alexander? That's like watching paint dry!

Ok Fighthypers, let's fill in the next three opponents to make the list fights that people would want to see. Let's make a good Six Fight Deal For Floyd that would not only represent Money, but quality opposition.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 27 2013, 01:27 PM) *

Ok Fighthypers, let's fill in the next three opponents to make the list fights that people would want to see. Let's make a good Six Fight Deal For Floyd that would not only represent Money, but quality opposition.

Jack

4. The winner of Alexander/Brook - IF Brook wins (we'll have UK twist to PPV), if not, then fuck it
5. Amir Khan - if he happens to fight Alexander or Ortiz in the future, if not, then fuck it
6. Josesito Lopez - if he gets past Maidana and has a meaningful fight by year's end, or early 2014 (no later than Jan.)...if not, then fuck it
*Lamont Peterson* - I have no explanation for this as of yet

This is all that can come up with. All of these fights are marketable, but again, none of them are definite at the moment.
Franchize
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 26 2013, 05:19 PM) *

I think Canelo give him probably the biggest threat of his career. I think Angulo, however, is a carbon copy of Magarito. I never thought Margacheato had a chance vs Floyd and I feel the same about Angulo. He's way to easy to hit. His hands aren't very fast and he's gone down before.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 27 2013, 02:27 PM) *

4.) Pacquiao-No longer Superfight status, but it's better than many others on "Floyd's List." Devon Alexander? That's like watching paint dry!

Jack

pacquiao has no business on that list. if he is on the list at all...it should be behind bradley and marquez.

i think trout is more worthy than alvarez at this point.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 27 2013, 02:35 PM) *
4. The winner of Alexander/Brook - IF Brook wins (we'll have UK twist to PPV), if not, then fuck it
5. Amir Khan - if he happens to fight Alexander or Ortiz in the future, if not, then fuck it
6. Josesito Lopez - if he gets past Maidana and has a meaningful fight by year's end, or early 2014 (no later than Jan.)...if not, then fuck it
*Lamont Peterson* - I have no explanation for this as of yet

This is all that can come up with. All of these fights are marketable, but again, none of them are definite at the moment.

alexander shouldn't be on the list unless it's behind bradley. never seen brook fight. who has he beaten to make the list?

amir khan should be behind peterson and garcia.

you can make the case to put josesito before khan....i think peterson and garcia both go before him.

mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 27 2013, 12:27 PM) *

Jack

I've been talking about this to some of my friends and I told them that I think if he seriously chooses to fight 6 times then he should do 3 solid opponents and 3 tough opponents

I think he should fight Martinez, Canelo, the Brook-Alexander winner, he's fighting Guerrero obviously....Canelo, if he beats Trout, and maybe Garcia if he can keep winning. But between Canelo and Danny, I'd leave those 2 open. The 140lbers will be moving up soon and those could be good matchups down the line

If a Pacquiao fight materializes then I'd be interested in that, but at this point I'm more intrigued by the possibility of Mayweather-Bradley
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 27 2013, 08:42 PM) *
I've been talking about this to some of my friends and I told them that I think if he seriously chooses to fight 6 times then he should do 3 solid opponents and 3 tough opponents

I think he should fight Martinez, Canelo, the Brook-Alexander winner, he's fighting Guerrero obviously....Canelo, if he beats Trout, and maybe Garcia if he can keep winning. But between Canelo and Danny, I'd leave those 2 open. The 140lbers will be moving up soon and those could be good matchups down the line

If a Pacquiao fight materializes then I'd be interested in that, but at this point I'm more intrigued by the possibility of Mayweather-Bradley

i'm with u on that one. if i'm bradley i talk mad shit to floyd after i win my next fight impressively.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 27 2013, 07:00 PM) *
i'm with u on that one. if i'm bradley i talk mad shit to floyd after i win my next fight impressively.

He just might do that, the way he's talking now is as if he's the new king of the hill. And in the past he has said that he envisioned himself being the one to defeat Mayweather
neophyte7
I am interested in how Pillow fists can beat mayweather??? If someone thinks so please elaborate.. Iron Dome can barely make a fight for himself with mediocre competition yet he envisions himself beating mayweather LOL--
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 26 2013, 10:35 PM) *

Mr.Chitown I feel cousin but these opponents have to win and be marketable. This list is based on the what if.. The reason why Red Head isn't on the May 4th card is because Alvarez could not guarantee a victory over Trout. Mayweather can not guarantee a victory over Robert. So that list maybe accurate by all accounts but it depends on to much on the what if. Alexander could lose. Matthyssee could lose as well. Garcia I would bulk at and let's face it those are not big money fights. My only thing is let's wait and see versus saying this is Gospel.

My Mayweather five fight list

1. Keith Thurman
2. Trout/Canelo winner
3. Sergio Martinez (154)
4. Bradley
5. Peterson
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 27 2013, 07:31 PM) *
alexander shouldn't be on the list unless it's behind bradley. never seen brook fight. who has he beaten to make the list?

amir khan should be behind peterson and garcia.

you can make the case to put josesito before khan....i think peterson and garcia both go before him.

Well an Alexander fight is much easier to make, and we all know the reason why. I honestly believe Tim and Devon should fight again, but if Tim felt the way he did about a Peterson rematch, then Im sure he'd react the same to the thought of an Alexander rematch.

I also believe that Khan should be behind Peterson and Garcia, but we're talking marketability here, and in that case, we surpasses both of them. Problem is, he needs to prove that he's up the task, and that doesn't include bouts against a midget Molina or an upcoming bout against an untested Diaz.

mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 28 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Mr.Chitown I feel cousin but these opponents have to win and be marketable. This list is based on the what if.. The reason why Red Head isn't on the May 4th card is because Alvarez could not guarantee a victory over Trout. Mayweather can not guarantee a victory over Robert. So that list maybe accurate by all accounts but it depends on to much on the what if. Alexander could lose. Matthyssee could lose as well. Garcia I would bulk at and let's face it those are not big money fights. My only thing is let's wait and see versus saying this is Gospel.

My Mayweather five fight list

1. Keith Thurman
2. Trout/Canelo winner
3. Sergio Martinez (154)
4. Bradley
5. Peterson

Good list and I agree with what your saying. I don't think it's the gospel it's just regular shop talk type stuff. At this point everything is based on a what if with Mayweather....I'm still glad he didn't feed into Canelo's ego by agreeing to face him in the fall. There are some intriguing matchups down the line for Floyd, we'll just have to see how it plays out
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 28 2013, 01:13 AM) *
He just might do that, the way he's talking now is as if he's the new king of the hill. And in the past he has said that he envisioned himself being the one to defeat Mayweather

he's got the skills, speed and attributes to do it. i wouldn't be shocked.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2013, 03:03 PM) *
Well an Alexander fight is much easier to make, and we all know the reason why. I honestly believe Tim and Devon should fight again, but if Tim felt the way he did about a Peterson rematch, then Im sure he'd react the same to the thought of an Alexander rematch.

I also believe that Khan should be behind Peterson and Garcia, but we're talking marketability here, and in that case, we surpasses both of them. Problem is, he needs to prove that he's up the task, and that doesn't include bouts against a midget Molina or an upcoming bout against an untested Diaz.

alexander quit in that figth. no need for a rematch.

marketability or not...khan still should not be high on that list. it's a waste of a fight. if he can't beat peterson or garcia....he's got zero chance against floyd. which diaz is he fighting?
daprofessor
if opponents had to be marketable to face top opposition...we'd never get our next crop of great fighters.

floyd wasn't marketable when he fought gatti. imagine if gatti and his ppl used that excuse.

the 'he's not marketable enough' excuse is lame.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 28 2013, 07:00 PM) *
alexander quit in that figth. no need for a rematch.

marketability or not...khan still should not be high on that list. it's a waste of a fight. if he can't beat peterson or garcia....he's got zero chance against floyd. which diaz is he fighting?

I have to go back and watch it again, but I just remember it ending in a shitty manner. Lol

Marketability trumps everything in boxing, hence why Canelo is so close to landing a Mayweather fight. It sucks, but if it didn't, then we wouldn't be talking about boxing. laugh.gif

Oh yeah, Im not sure which Diaz this is, that Khan is getting ready to fight. More than likely, he isn't much of a threat though.
mgrover
While I'd like Martinez to receive a nice payday, people should stop with him fighting Mayweather. He should stop with the fighting Mayweather talk.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 1 2013, 05:57 AM) *
While I'd like Martinez to receive a nice payday, people should stop with him fighting Mayweather. He should stop with the fighting Mayweather talk.

There is a reason why weight classes exist..... I've never been a fan of FMJ fighting at 154. If he were to go any higher I believe Sergio would give him major issues.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2013, 12:03 AM) *
I have to go back and watch it again, but I just remember it ending in a shitty manner. Lol

Marketability trumps everything in boxing, hence why Canelo is so close to landing a Mayweather fight. It sucks, but if it didn't, then we wouldn't be talking about boxing. laugh.gif

Oh yeah, Im not sure which Diaz this is, that Khan is getting ready to fight. More than likely, he isn't much of a threat though.

totally disagree with that statement. skill trumps everything.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 02:48 PM) *

That's in the ring not outside of it. Boxing has changed whether some of us like it or not. And if it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense.

daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 1 2013, 07:41 PM) *
That's in the ring not outside of it. Boxing has changed whether some of us like it or not. And if it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense.

well fights like donaire/rigondeaux, canelo/trout and matthysse/peterson give me hope.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 01:48 PM) *

I agree professor. Alvarez will find this out as well as the Filipino Flab!
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 03:48 PM) *

Skills dont always land a fighter those big paydays...especially if their promoter cant cut the mustard.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2013, 09:54 PM) *
Skills dont always land a fighter those big paydays...especially if their promoter cant cut the mustard.

if they don't have skill...they can't stay at the top long enough to make the pay days. i guess it works both ways.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 07:12 PM) *
if they don't have skill...they can't stay at the top long enough to make the pay days. i guess it works both ways.

Chavez Jr. is a perfect example! Popular beyond all measure but the moment he actually faced a real fighter he was outclassed. He did hit Sergio with a big shot but guess what Sergio kept on coming. I think Manny is a victim of his popularity overshadowing his boxing skills. The guy has heart and is an exiting fighter but the three boxers that gave him fits were Shane, JMM, and Bradley. All technically sound boxers. So I would say skills pay the bills and popularity pays the rent but overall skills gives you a longer career.
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 2 2013, 09:24 PM) *
Chavez Jr. is a perfect example! Popular beyond all measure but the moment he actually faced a real fighter he was outclassed. He did hit Sergio with a big shot but guess what Sergio kept on coming. I think Manny is a victim of his popularity overshadowing his boxing skills. The guy has heart and is an exiting fighter but the three boxers that gave him fits were Shane, JMM, and Bradley. All technically sound boxers. So I would say skills pay the bills and popularity pays the rent but overall skills gives you a longer career.

When has Shane every been a technically sound boxer lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.