Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matthysse vs Peterson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
It seems that Shafer wants to try and make this fight for May 18th in DC with Brook vs Alexander on the undercard. I like this matchup but ive been reading alot of hate on other sites. You know the usual GBP is trying to protect Garcia. But Garcia vs Judah is scheduled for April 27th so I dont see why this fight cant be made. Matthysse has to fight somebody right? At least he gets a title shot. Personally I dont care where Dannys ranked I think Peterson is the best at 140. A win over Peterson could put Matthysse in line for a Mayweather shot. What do you guys think?
checkleft
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 23 2013, 10:58 AM) *
It seems that Shafer wants to try and make this fight for May 18th in DC with Brook vs Alexander on the undercard. I like this matchup but ive been reading alot of hate on other sites. You know the usual GBP is trying to protect Garcia. But Garcia vs Judah is scheduled for April 27th so I dont see why this fight cant be made. Matthysse has to fight somebody right? At least he gets a title shot. Personally I dont care where Dannys ranked I think Peterson is the best at 140. A win over Peterson could put Matthysse in line for a Mayweather shot. What do you guys think?

A mayweather shot? I don't think so but I wouldn't doubt it. This fight would be amazing! I think both guys craft is extremely underrated and I agree with you, out of everyone at 140 I believe lamont is the toughest guy to beat. And last night was he putting some mustard on those shots! Him and matthysse would be for the number one spot, and I bet Garcia moves up after his upcoming fight just to avoid the winner (and to try to land a mayweather fight, I think he has a better chance due to being a bigger draw and being a lot less of a risk than lucas). This is an awesome match up though

And by the way its obvious schaeffer really wants to beef up this card because Alexander seems to be intent on stinking absolutely everyone out, fuck being the undercard this should be headlining.
Dolimite
I think Peterson should fight JMM. That would be something. Matthysse needs to fight Marcos and get it over with. Actually I would love to see Matthysse fight Khan. That would be fire works. I do believe that Peterson and Khan need to rematch each other!
leonthegee
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 23 2013, 09:08 AM) *
A mayweather shot? I don't think so but I wouldn't doubt it. This fight would be amazing! I think both guys craft is extremely underrated and I agree with you, out of everyone at 140 I believe lamont is the toughest guy to beat. And last night was he putting some mustard on those shots! Him and matthysse would be for the number one spot, and I bet Garcia moves up after his upcoming fight just to avoid the winner (and to try to land a mayweather fight, I think he has a better chance due to being a bigger draw and being a lot less of a risk than lucas). This is an awesome match up though

And by the way its obvious schaeffer really wants to beef up this card because Alexander seems to be intent on stinking absolutely everyone out, fuck being the undercard this should be headlining.

I agree with you about Danny having the bigger following but fans would call Garcia vs Mayweather a cherrypick fight. Matthysse is older, has been around, a little bit more polished than Danny, some people feel hes been avoided, and Showtime loves him. We already heard Broner say last night hes moving up after Burns and he wants Danny. Ive always said the only one that can cockblock Matthysse from Danny is Broner.
checkleft
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 23 2013, 11:40 AM) *
I agree with you about Danny having the bigger following but fans would call Garcia vs Mayweather a cherrypick fight. Matthysse is older, has been around, a little bit more polished than Danny, some people feel hes been avoided, and Showtime loves him. We already heard Broner say last night hes moving up after Burns and he wants Danny. Ive always said the only one that can cockblock Matthysse from Danny is Broner.

Lmao. I concur, broner is less risk for Danny than mayweather or matthysse and the Garcia camp doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get a pay day, the look like they want to build a brand and be around for a while.
leonthegee
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 23 2013, 10:04 AM) *
Lmao. I concur, broner is less risk for Danny than mayweather or matthysse and the Garcia camp doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get a pay day, the look like they want to build a brand and be around for a while.

Where you and I disagree is I dont believe Danny is scared of Matthysse. He has to deal with suits like Haymon and Shafer. These guys can sell diseased fish to Long John Silvers lol. Broner vs Garcia is a PPV fight. Once they offer Danny those $ signs he will have no choice but to bite. Most fighters dont run their own carreers. Its the suits that call the shots and make the desicions.
Plah
Hope this gets made, I like Matthysse in this one.
mrchitown
I posted the article source in the Peterson-Holt thread last night, the article which Schaefer said it is originally from The Ring website. I hope GB is serious about making this matchup because in a span of less than 24hrs, boxing fans, trainers, even fighters are already picking who they think would come out victorious

With that said, if Schaefer can make this fight happen then that's another win for us boxing fans. And like Check said, this is your main event fight right here. Devon shows flashes of ring brilliance but he seems content just to grunt like he's having an orgasm and getting the W lol

In no way should this fight play 2nd fiddle to any match involving Devon. It's truly a 50/50 fight in my mid but I think Lamont's defense will play a factor in this one... As far as a Mayweather shot, I doubt and hope that doesn't happen. But then again this is boxing and in this sport, hell has froze over many times

@Dolimite, you know there is no way that Peterson will fight Marquez, he's contractually obligated to GB now. That fight likely will never happen
mrchitown
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 23 2013, 11:44 AM) *
Where you and I disagree is I dont believe Danny is scared of Matthysse. He has to deal with suits like Haymon and Shafer. These guys can sell diseased fish to Long John Silvers lol. Broner vs Garcia is a PPV fight. Once they offer Danny those $ signs he will have no choice but to bite. Most fighters dont run their own carreers. Its the suits that call the shots and make the desicions.

So true, I hope a lot of these fighters wise up and start controlling their own destiny
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 23 2013, 11:18 AM) *
I think Peterson should fight JMM. That would be something. Matthysse needs to fight Marcos and get it over with. Actually I would love to see Matthysse fight Khan. That would be fire works. I do believe that Peterson and Khan need to rematch each other!

From what I understand, they fought in the amateurs (for the Olympic squad, I do believe) and Maidana beat him a couple of times.
Kratza
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 24 2013, 05:03 PM) *
From what I understand, they fought in the amateurs (for the Olympic squad, I do believe) and Maidana beat him a couple of times.

Yeah i think they fought 4 times and Marcos won the first 3 and drew the last one
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 24 2013, 01:03 PM) *

There's a great article I read thats basically a round by round about one of the fights maidana won. I guess it was to see who was gonna go to the Olympic team, but anyways I guess that they literally held a private fight with nothing but judges and trainers there and most felt it was a draw but since they had to have a winner they gave it to maidana because they felt he was more experienced (think Lucas was like 15 or 16). But all the reports from people there said it was the hardest fight they've every had to pick a winner in.

I wish someone would have had a god damn camera phone or something that night. But they said it was crazy, like total undercover top secret stuff lol. Nothing but trainers private doctors and highly regarded judges in a big empty warehouse.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 23 2013, 10:58 AM) *

It would take more than beating Peterson to get Lucas a shot at Floyd, it doesn't work that way; you cannot simply jump over all the WWs and think you're gonna get a shot at Floyd without beating atleast one of the titlist.

I'd love to see Peterson vs Matthysse, I think Lucas KO's him somewhere around the 9th.
Cshel86
I believe Peterson has the intelligence to use his tools and get on the inside against Matthysse.

Ajose was been his stiffest competition, but he fought the wrong fight against Lucas. We've seen Lamont in there with big punchers and we've seen him hit the deck, so that will be nothing new in this fight.

The biggest question is, what does he do when he gets back up? We all know the answer to that...he fights! I kinda feel like Golden Boy is trying to set Peterson up, by making this fight, but let's all agree that Lamont's the most marketable of the two "unmarketables".
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 26 2013, 11:50 AM) *
I believe Peterson has the intelligence to use his tools and get on the inside against Matthysse.

Ajose was been his stiffest competition, but he fought the wrong fight against Lucas. We've seen Lamont in there with big punchers and we've seen him hit the deck, so that will be nothing new in this fight.

The biggest question is, what does he do when he gets back up? We all know the answer to that...he fights! I kinda feel like Golden Boy is trying to set Peterson up, by making this fight, but let's all agree that Lamont's the most marketable of the two "unmarketables".

I have to disagree here, Latin people love Lucas and all the Latinos I know want him to spark up Danny because of what he did to morales. Plus Peterson is mostly a draw only in dc, but I still think Peterson has the edge in with either
mrchitown
Where is Matthyse a draw at because it sure isn't here in the states. Black fight fans love Peterson but that doesn't make him a draw. If the Latins loved Matthyse so much they should show up to his fights because many times those seats to his cards are comped because they don't sell. Matthyse probably draws many in his country but not here and Peterson only sells tix in DC. As far as being a draw they are on even terms however, Peterson has a nice resume of competition and he is the more marketable of the 2
Cheesey1
Peterson all the way. Dallas let me down the last time around, but Lamont won't make the amateur mistake Dallas did.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 26 2013, 12:05 PM) *
I have to disagree here, Latin people love Lucas and all the Latinos I know want him to spark up Danny because of what he did to morales. Plus Peterson is mostly a draw only in dc, but I still think Peterson has the edge in with either

Maybe I was thinking that because of the competition that Peterson's fought. Now that I think about it, they've been on a somewhat even stage.

I want to lean more towards Lamont in this one, but who knows. The easy answer here, is to pick Matthysse. Oh what an animal Lamont would be if was able to stop him.

I underestimate Peterson's short punches all the time, maybe because he doesn't have much power. Hell, if Paulie rocked Juan Diaz with a short shot, then anybody can be rocked with a short shot.

laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2013, 01:03 PM) *
Maybe I was thinking that because of the competition that Peterson's fought. Now that I think about it, they've been on a somewhat even stage.

I want to lean more towards Lamont in this one, but who knows. The easy answer here, is to pick Matthysse. Oh what an animal Lamont would be if was able to stop him.

I underestimate Peterson's short punches all the time, maybe because he doesn't have much power. Hell, if Paulie rocked Juan Diaz with a short shot, then anybody can be rocked with a short shot.

laugh.gif

Those punches he landed on holt had some balls behind them! But out of the two I think Lucas has reacted to shots better (against devon, Judah, soto). Though Peterson can be hurt he has that marquez mindset where he can whether all storms and adjust really well.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 7 2013, 01:14 PM) *
Those punches he landed on holt had some balls behind them! But out of the two I think Lucas has reacted to shots better (against devon, Judah, soto). Though Peterson can be hurt he has that marquez mindset where he can whether all storms and adjust really well.

This very post made the fight THAT much more interesting!

Was I the only one that saw Matthysse having a hard time with Soto? Just in small spurts during the fight, nothing super clear.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2013, 01:50 PM) *
This very post made the fight THAT much more interesting!

Was I the only one that saw Matthysse having a hard time with Soto? Just in small spurts during the fight, nothing super clear.

I gave some of the early rounds to soto. He's just so active and he's a banger as well, but even with the hard shots he was landing I thought matthysse stayed composed and unaffected.
sduck
lol i think Matthysse gonna beat the breaks off Peterson...will be a heavy fight for both though
wolterb
This should be a rough rough fight and I think the outcome could go either way bc Peterson is versatile and has a chin. Just from a living room perspective it looks like matthysse has the size advantage though. dog fight!
jdubbya33
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 23 2013, 07:58 AM) *

I believe Peterson has a better chance than many people think. If he can neutralize Matthesse's right hand things will get really interesting. The body punches will test Matthysse like never before.Great Match-up. As far as Mayweather-Matthysse, Floyd would dominate Lucas.
SharpShooter
I think Matthysse stops Peterson late in a war.
checkleft
Fight is official for the Alexander card according to the front page, I love it!!!
The Original MrFactor
I like this fight. two top guys going at it. i'm slightly favoring Peterson here. If he can get past a rough patch in the first 2 rounds(like in all of his fights lately), he can box and beat Matthysse.

Matthysse ins nothing special. He's a guy that's really big and strong for the weightclass. I think he came in at 160 on fightnight last time out. How long can he maintain at 140? The drains will have to start effecting his performances at some point.
Cshel86
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 24 2013, 03:06 AM) *
Matthysse ins nothing special. He's a guy that's really big and strong for the weightclass. I think he came in at 160 on fightnight last time out. How long can he maintain at 140? The drains will have to start effecting his performances at some point.

I believe that was a typo, and Matthysse cleared it up in an interview shortly after. I thought that the 20lbs rehydration had been his advantage all along. Lol
daprofessor
matthysse is going to stop peterson.

peterson likes to block most of the punches and isn't the type to move around and make u miss totally. that will be his undoing. sitting in the pocket trading with a guy like matthysse is not good for your health or your boxing career.
checkleft
This fight is being fought at 141??? Any thoughts on to why this would take place at a bs catchweight other than my reasoning that its so Lucas and lamont don't lose ranking win or lose?
daprofessor
QUOTE (SharpShooter @ Mar 9 2013, 05:22 PM) *
I think Matthysse stops Peterson late in a war.

nice dirrell gif.
Hotsauce
141???
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 8 2013, 08:53 PM) *
This fight is being fought at 141???

checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 9 2013, 09:28 AM) *

This is on that cotto marg 2 shit
mgrover
It's smart really, GoldenBitch will have two fighters with titles before and after this fight...
mikE11
I think Peterson is good, but there isn't a matchup involving him that would get me excited about one of his fights.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 11 2013, 06:01 PM) *
It's smart really, GoldenBitch will have two fighters with titles before and after this fight...

Guess they did it because the bodies don't recognise unification bouts, pretty stupid.
mikE11
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 12 2013, 12:38 PM) *
Guess they did it because the bodies don't recognise unification bouts, pretty stupid.

What do you mean?
mgrover
What a WBC interim belt? There's no unification.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.