Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikey Garcia vs. Russell Jr
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
This fight needs to happen! Both are technically sound and gifted boxers. Russell's hand speed would give Mikey problems. I hope this fight gets made. Mikey wants (boxingscene.com) and after Russell heals up he should ask for this fight!
Marcus
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 3 2013, 11:54 AM) *
This fight needs to happen! Both are technically sound and gifted boxers. Russell's hand speed would give Mikey problems. I hope this fight gets made. Mikey wants (boxingscene.com) and after Russell heals up he should ask for this fight!

Will never happen. Top Rank Vs. GBP. But they are both respectable opponents that carry themselves like true champions inside and outside of the ring. This is a solid fight. Amazing how Russell didn't use the straight left hand until round 9/10. Wonderful performance. It sucks that his hands are brittle. True talent..
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 3 2013, 03:07 PM) *
Will never happen. Top Rank Vs. GBP. But they are both respectable opponents that carry themselves like true champions inside and outside of the ring. This is a solid fight. Amazing how Russell didn't use the straight left hand until round 9/10. Wonderful performance. It sucks that his hands are brittle. True talent..

He used that straight left early in the fight, he just hurt it and relied on his right.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 3 2013, 12:07 PM) *

These guys are young, hopefully Arum will be dead in the next three years then we can get all the top fights that we are wishing for.
Marcus
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 3 2013, 05:07 PM) *
These guys are young, hopefully Arum will be dead in the next three years then we can get all the top fights that we are wishing for.

Lmaoo i did not see that one coming.

I'll give the SLIGHT edge to Mikey simply due to quality of opposition however if Gary Russell Jr. keeps dominating the way he is there is no telling how that fight could go.

He showed a lot of versatility last night. Speed isn't the only thing in his arsenal. Speed aside, His footwork, head movement, and the angles at which he was throwing his hooks were phenomenal. He's a smooth boxer.

I'd like to see Gary Russell Jr. end the Gamboa hype.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 3 2013, 04:30 PM) *

I'll give the SLIGHT edge to Mikey simply due to quality of opposition however if Gary Russell Jr. keeps dominating the way he is there is no telling how that fight could go.

He showed a lot of versatility last night. Speed isn't the only thing in his arsenal. Speed aside, His footwork, head movement, and the angles at which he was throwing his hooks were phenomenal. He's a smooth boxer.

Dude to the feud that SMS has with Golden Boy/Haymon promotions I do not think that will happen. But we will keep our fingers crossed. Gamboa is actually a good boxer/fighter but he has poor business decisions. Very poor. I would loved for him to had fought Brandon Rios, I had my money on Gamboa all the way. He was much too fast and talented for Rios to keep up with. Mikey has faced great opponents but no one wants any part of Russell Jr. After last night I can not blame them! That kid is going places. I wonder how many weight classes he will be able to move up. My guess is 135-140
mrchitown
I'd favor Russell jr but it's not going to happen so hopefully he can get the De Leon-Mares winner
mgrover
QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 3 2013, 11:30 PM) *

Don't really think theres any Gamboa hype anymore tbh
Slumpage
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 5 2013, 07:47 AM) *
Don't really think theres any Gamboa hype anymore tbh

Yeah there is...from me! lol

HBO still like him, so he'll get another fight. I think they may try line him up against Russell Jr too...
checkleft
I favor mikey. He's a scary young dude, power speed timing ring smarts, the kids pretty complete and he's shown it. Russell has been pampered so far, I heard rumors about his chin but who really knows until he faces someone of relevance. Idk what happened to this dude, he started up around the same time as broner and since then it seems like broner has left him in the dust. Obvious the boy has god given gifts tho
Cshel86
Gary hasn't fought anybody with a good jab, in which Mikey does possess. That should make this one interesting. I have Mikey controlling the pace of the fight from the outside, leaving Russell with too much to think about and limiting the offense that he does have.

We've seen the best of Russell, but it doesn't mean all that much, due to his present competition. NOW, if he can do this against name fighters who have fought better competition, then I'll think reconsider the hype behind him.

Dude (Russell) is more solid and poised for the level of competition (or lack thereof) that he's been facing. Usually, guys that are coming up, will just run through these dudes just to get noticed and signed for bigger fights. His patience and willingness to stick to the game plan, is what makes me give him some type of credit.
daprofessor
this fight would be huge and i don't believe it will ever happen. but if it did...i'd favor russell. too quick, to slick and he can crack.
sduck
Haven't seen enough of Russel Jr to jump to a full conclusion.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2013, 11:49 AM) *
Gary hasn't fought anybody with a good jab, in which Mikey does possess. That should make this one interesting. I have Mikey controlling the pace of the fight from the outside, leaving Russell with too much to think about and limiting the offense that he does have.

We've seen the best of Russell, but it doesn't mean all that much, due to his present competition. NOW, if he can do this against name fighters who have fought better competition, then I'll think reconsider the hype behind him.

Dude (Russell) is more solid and poised for the level of competition (or lack thereof) that he's been facing. Usually, guys that are coming up, will just run through these dudes just to get noticed and signed for bigger fights. His patience and willingness to stick to the game plan, is what makes me give him some type of credit.

No one wants to see Russell, no one. The kid is quick, great footwork and like someone said even better head movement. He would not be in front of Mikey's jabs. I think Russell would just dance around him and pop him all night. Honestly I think Garcia would be too slow for Russell, both fighters have tremendous boxing skill and too be honest this would be a great fight, a great fight. I like Russell by a UD.
mgrover
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 6 2013, 02:11 PM) *
Yeah there is...from me! lol

HBO still like him, so he'll get another fight. I think they may try line him up against Russell Jr too...

I don't think they will till he's either proven innocent or something
Cheesey1
If this ever happens (and as said already, it's unlikely because of the Bobfather), it would be a classic boxing match. The longer boxer versus the shorter, more mobile boxer.

Strategically, the taller guy should have the advantage, (if he knows how to box and move) and Garcia certainly does. I do like Russell's blinding speed and his seemingly better movement, than Garcia, and at least on par ring IQ could very well limit/negate Garcia's length advantage.

Close one, but going with Russell although Garcia could definitely prove me wrong.
wolterb
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 9 2013, 12:27 PM) *
If this ever happens (and as said already, it's unlikely because of the Bobfather), it would be a classic boxing match. The longer boxer versus the shorter, more mobile boxer.

Strategically, the taller guy should have the advantage, (if he knows how to box and move) and Garcia certainly does. I do like Russell's blinding speed and his seemingly better movement, than Garcia, and at least on par ring IQ could very well limit/negate Garcia's length advantage.

Close one, but going with Russell although Garcia could definitely prove me wrong.

I agree completely...the workings of a classic for sure - - both guys have great temperments
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 7 2013, 07:47 PM) *
No one wants to see Russell, no one. The kid is quick, great footwork and like someone said even better head movement. He would not be in front of Mikey's jabs. I think Russell would just dance around him and pop him all night. Honestly I think Garcia would be too slow for Russell, both fighters have tremendous boxing skill and too be honest this would be a great fight, a great fight. I like Russell by a UD.

Same here.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (wolterb @ Mar 9 2013, 01:25 PM) *
I agree completely...the workings of a classic for sure - - both guys have great temperments

Yeah man.

Boxing's got a lot of solid youngsters, with more coming up the ranks. As Dolimite said, once a certain someone goes to meet his maker (after living a long and productive life) there'll be one less obstacle in the way to getting these types of match-ups.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.