Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cloud vs. Hopkins-Preview (Who Wins? Vote in The Poll!)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Another Title Fight for Bernard Hopkins, this time it's Hopkins vs. Cloud for Cloud's IBF Light-Heavyweight Title. Most of us remember Cloud as getting the shit beaten out of him by Gabriel Campillo on a Don King show, only for King's fighter to get a terrible decision win. Cloud still owes Campillo a rematch, but that's beside the point.

I am not impressed with Cloud, he has power, but can be hit, and Bernard will rough him up and make him work, but King's fighter will get the close rounds, and maybe some rounds that aren't close anyway in a lot of mauling grabbing, ugly shit from Hopkins, who has resorted to dirty fighting and fouling more and more to extend his legacy. Bernard will probably lose around 115-113, 117-110 and 116-112 unanimously, call everybody racist, and storm of like a spoiled child to his dressing room like a kid who just got told he can't have the last piece of cake before supper. This fight will be boring and ugly, at least on paper.

Also,, bashing King's fighters historically does not give a fighter justice on the scorecards. However, I have a feeling that the decision will be fair. Hopkins just not doing enough, and the need by fighting ugly in spots to make it competitive.

Or, does Executioner pull a rabbit out of his ass one last time and give us a Pascal II type performance? The fight on which Bernard should have retired and could have gone out highly respected and praised. When Bernard wins, he can be good guy.

Boring fight? Average to OK fight? Or something more? Can Bernard create excitment again?

Jack
mgrover
I thought Hopkins would take it tbh. If he can control the pace I'd say the wins as good as there
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 3 2013, 02:54 PM) *
Another Title Fight for Bernard Hopkins, this time it's Hopkins vs. Cloud for Cloud's IBF Light-Heavyweight Title. Most of us remember Cloud as getting the shit beaten out of him by Gabriel Campillo on a Don King show, only for King's fighter to get a terrible decision win. Cloud still owes Campillo a rematch, but that's beside the point.

I am not impressed with Cloud, he has power, but can be hit, and Bernard will rough him up and make him work, but King's fighter will get the close rounds, and maybe some rounds that aren't close anyway in a lot of mauling grabbing, ugly shit from Hopkins, who has resorted to dirty fighting and fouling more and more to extend his legacy. Bernard will probably lose around 115-113, 117-110 and 116-112 unanimously, call everybody racist, and storm of like a spoiled child to his dressing room like a kid who just got told he can't have the last piece of cake before supper. This fight will be boring and ugly, at least on paper.

Also,, bashing King's fighters historically does not give a fighter justice on the scorecards. However, I have a feeling that the decision will be fair. Hopkins just not doing enough, and the need by fighting ugly in spots to make it competitive.

Or, does Executioner pull a rabbit out of his ass one last time and give us a Pascal II type performance? The fight on which Bernard should have retired and could have gone out highly respected and praised. When Bernard wins, he can be good guy.

Boring fight? Average to OK fight? Or something more? Can Bernard create excitment again?

Jack

Well, I believe that he will pull off the kind of performance he did vs Pavlik though not as easy/dramatic. It appears that those who dislike Hopkins tends to say the things like you stated in your opening paragraph about the dirty tactics, extending the legacy and other crap but I for one don't boil BHop's career/legacy down to those simple-minded things.

BHop has nothing to prove in this fight, win or lose all he has to do is hang and he will get credit but the young Cloud is the one who has the pressure and has to prove that he has learned from the Campillo fight of which we all can agree that Camp was totally robbed.

DK's judges won't matter in this bout because I'm certain that GBP has already done their homework on who will be judging this contest and they're not having any of that crap they seem King pull off in that Campillo fight.

Hop's by UD
mrchitown
Cloud better get ready for his first L. Even though it should be hi second. He has problems with fighters who can move in the ring, Campillo gave him fits, he is a muscular fighter and he's definitely a power puncher but he needs to be matched carefully for him to win. He has 1 speed and that's straight ahead. I noticed that he's tired late in some fights to, maybe that's why Abel Sanchez had him training in big bear. Bernard jas to just fight his fight and set traps for Cloud. I don't think Cloud will hols up with a master technician like Bernard. Hopkins will dictate the pace and put on a clinic to get the W
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 3 2013, 11:04 PM) *
Cloud better get ready for his first L. Even though it should be hi second. He has problems with fighters who can move in the ring, Campillo gave him fits, he is a muscular fighter and he's definitely a power puncher but he needs to be matched carefully for him to win. He has 1 speed and that's straight ahead. I noticed that he's tired late in some fights to, maybe that's why Abel Sanchez had him training in big bear. Bernard jas to just fight his fight and set traps for Cloud. I don't think Cloud will hols up with a master technician like Bernard. Hopkins will dictate the pace and put on a clinic to get the W

I'm developing more interest in this fight! I'll still take Cloud's youth over Hopkins age, The world knows that Hopkins is 500% more experienced than Cloud, but he's got to get old sometime. I think Cloud knows deep down he lost that Campillo fight and will be ready for this to get the win! BUT, it's not gonna be because Cloud suddenly got skilled to win. Hopkins would have mopped the floor with Cloud even five years ago.

Not a fan of Bernard's personality, but as a prime fighter at Middleweight you got to respect his accomplishments. A shame he and Hagler were not in the same era as a fight between them would have been great! At any rate. Cloud wins because this time, Hopkins has FINALLY gotten too old.

Adding a poll and pinning up! You guys that previously posted, can vote!

Jack
The Original MrFactor
Cloud d12. The spawn of Marvin Gaye is ready to be the busier guy for 12 rounds and win a clear decision only disputed by Hopkins.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 3 2013, 11:14 PM) *
I'm developing more interest in this fight! I'll still take Cloud's youth over Hopkins age, The world knows that Hopkins is 500% more experienced than Cloud, but he's got to get old sometime. I think Cloud knows deep down he lost that Campillo fight and will be ready for this to get the win! BUT, it's not gonna be because Cloud suddenly got skilled to win. Hopkins would have mopped the floor with Cloud even five years ago.

Not a fan of Bernard's personality, but as a prime fighter at Middleweight you got to respect his accomplishments. A shame he and Hagler were not in the same era as a fight between them would have been great! At any rate. Cloud wins because this time, Hopkins has FINALLY gotten too old.

Adding a poll and pinning up! You guys that previously posted, can vote!

Jack

Cloud is just too limited to me. Hopkins is 48 and can move in the ring and Cloud has big trouble with fighters who don't stand and trade with him. He's gon life ad death too many times for me to pick him over BHop. Glen Johnson gave him a run, Campillo beat him and there's a couple of other fights where I've seen him pull out wins that realistically could go either way. I just hope both put on a show, but if I was betting money on this fight I wouldn't put it on Pascal lite
Cshel86
Now, if only Cloud could avoid a jab to save his life...oh the mystery we'd have in store for this one!
Plah
I say Hopkins.. 8 rounds to 4, with several of those very close.
bnoles4life
Cloud, at least I'm hoping. BHop just doesn't do enough anymore, offense-wise. Cloud can be hit, but he's strong as an ox, it will be a bit more difficult BHop to clinch all of the time and most definitely, it will take some significant energy to do so. That being said, Cloud hasn't fought in a while, so I'm sure he'll pull another Campillo-like performance. F*ck, I wish B Hop would ride off into the sunset.
Jack 1000
WOW!

Bleacher Report picks CLOUD by TKO 10!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1556113...ris-cloud-fight

Any here's some funny trash-talk from Cloud. He calls Hopkins fights "Snoozefests." (ESPN)

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/boxing/po...are-snoozefests

Jack
daprofessor
cloud is going to be the first person to ever stop him.

a lot of ppl were fooled by his poor performance with campillo. ppl forget that campillo was a last minute replacement and the original opponent was orthodox not southpaw. cloud has a better trainer and has trained in big bear for this fight. bhop and everyone else is underestimating this kid.
daprofessor
didn't bhop do this for the dawson fight too?
neophyte7
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 6 2013, 05:37 PM) *
cloud is going to be the first person to ever stop him.

a lot of ppl were fooled by his poor performance with campillo. ppl forget that campillo was a last minute replacement and the original opponent was orthodox not southpaw. cloud has a better trainer and has trained in big bear for this fight. bhop and everyone else is underestimating this kid.

Oh yeah... what round you see a stoppage?
Plah
I just don't see Cloud beating, much less stopping B-Hop. I just can't.
Cshel86
I honestly see this as a 40/40/20 bout. 40% in Hopkins' favor, 40% in Cloud's favor, and a 20% chance of some fuckery taking place.

At this stage of Bernard's career, his reflexes have slowed down a bit. If you remember the first Pascal fight, that will probably be the same Hopkins that we see this weekend. He was even stunned in the rematch a couple of times, but never went down.

If Cloud is able to catch him and hurt him, then he'll be able to finish him. At the same time, Cloud isn't that fast, and straight punches aren't his style...maybe because of the muscles. If he catches Hopkins coming in, with an overhand punch, then we'll see the old man go down.

Bernard on the other hand, is a bully himself. Both guys are bullies on their own respective terms. I don't see Cloud doing shit on the inside, and that's where we'll Hopkins rough him up. Their WILL BE blood.

Cloud isn't able to maintain a disciplined gameplan (of a boxer) for 12 whole rounds, so if he doesn't Hopkins within 6 rounds, then his mind and body will part ways as we see Hopkins control the fight down the stretch. Anyhow, Cloud by close decision. All aspects of this fight will resemble Hopkins/Pascal I.

PS: Cant wait for Thurman/Zaveck
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2013, 12:35 PM) *
I honestly see this as a 40/40/20 bout. 40% in Hopkins' favor, 40% in Cloud's favor, and a 20% chance of some fuckery taking place.

At this stage of Bernard's career, his reflexes have slowed down a bit. If you remember the first Pascal fight, that will probably be the same Hopkins that we see this weekend. He was even stunned in the rematch a couple of times, but never went down.

If Cloud is able to catch him and hurt him, then he'll be able to finish him. At the same time, Cloud isn't that fast, and straight punches aren't his style...maybe because of the muscles. If he catches Hopkins coming in, with an overhand punch, then we'll see the old man go down.

Bernard on the other hand, is a bully himself. Both guys are bullies on their own respective terms. I don't see Cloud doing shit on the inside, and that's where we'll Hopkins rough him up. Their WILL BE blood.

Cloud isn't able to maintain a disciplined gameplan (of a boxer) for 12 whole rounds, so if he doesn't Hopkins within 6 rounds, then his mind and body will part ways as we see Hopkins control the fight down the stretch. Anyhow, Cloud by close decision. All aspects of this fight will resemble Hopkins/Pascal I.

Good points,

I think much depends on how well Cloud can adjust to Bernard's smart fighting and rough-house tactics in recent years, if things aren't going his way. If he can, Cloud can win, but if Cloud gets frustrated for the first six rounds, I don't think he is going to be able to setting into a pattern for the last six. If Travoris can't establish a gameplan pattern, than Bernard wins. Age of Hopkins is still a negative factor, as is Cloud's lack of experience in big fights. Both can be hit, both can go down, but Hopkins has more tricks in his magic hat that he can use. Cloud doesn't have that magic hat. The other factor is Hopkins getting to old to do anything with his magic hat.

Max Kellerman made a good point that when you watch Hopkins now, it's not really for exciting fights anymore, but it's "can the old man do something unexpected again?" (When the odds are against him.)

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 7 2013, 12:44 AM) *
Oh yeah... what round you see a stoppage?

late rounds of course. i should know better....because bhop has proven me wrong more than once. i thought pascal would beat him. i got that wrong...but pascal did drop bhop and hurt him more than once. if cloud drops him or hurts him....he's gonna finish him.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2013, 01:35 PM) *

very good points and i agree on most. i think cloud is the younger stronger bully. if he can beat bhop to the punch (with the bullying) or answer bhops bullying with stronger more forceful bullying...it's going to be over for bhop.
mitukczuk
The only thing that saddens me is that there is nothing in for Cloud. I don't particularly like him but there realy is nothing for him if he wins the fight. BHop is old. He is competitive, a legend but old and doesn't bear anything else than a name...again...old name. Tavoris is expected to beat him. If he doesn't his career is at stake, if he does beat Bhop, he beat an old man. I really don't see why he agreed to fight him.

The fight itself will look like the Bhop/Pascal I as many people here have already predicted. Young lion will try to chase and muscle out the old king of the jungle who himself still has some tricks up his sleeve. But I don't know.....I like Bhop and I will be rooting for him (We can't forget about this man rewriting history) hoping the fight will be watchable without any Hopkins/Jones II bullshit. Either way, Hopkins will make it competitive enough to make the public and more importantly himself believe he still can fight. He will not retire unless KO a la Pacman occurs.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 7 2013, 04:16 PM) *
very good points and i agree on most. i think cloud is the younger stronger bully. if he can beat bhop to the punch (with the bullying) or answer bhops bullying with stronger more forceful bullying...it's going to be over for bhop.

I can picture all of the above happening...he just cant allow Hopkins too much time to think.

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 8 2013, 04:08 PM) *
The only thing that saddens me is that there is nothing in for Cloud. I don't particularly like him but there realy is nothing for him if he wins the fight. BHop is old. He is competitive, a legend but old and doesn't bear anything else than a name...again...old name. Tavoris is expected to beat him. If he doesn't his career is at stake, if he does beat Bhop, he beat an old man. I really don't see why he agreed to fight him.

The fight itself will look like the Bhop/Pascal I as many people here have already predicted. Young lion will try to chase and muscle out the old king of the jungle who himself still has some tricks up his sleeve. But I don't know.....I like Bhop and I will be rooting for him (We can't forget about this man rewriting history) hoping the fight will be watchable without any Hopkins/Jones II bullshit. Either way, Hopkins will make it competitive enough to make the public and more importantly himself believe he still can fight. He will not retire unless KO a la Pacman occurs.

Im not sure about some of this post, but most of it, I agree with. There isn't too much going on a light HW, but the buzz can begin Saturday night. Hopkins is on his way out, but of he keeps beating these young bucks, then that makes them look unworthy...Hopkins has to go for good this time, in order for the division to grow.

Cloud CAN make a name for himself, IF he stops Bernard tomorrow...IF. Nobody's ever stopped Hopkins before, and he hasn't looked all that shitty in his losses, so a KO on Cloud's behalf, it enough to make things interesting.

If Cloud decisions Hopkins (which I dont see happening), then that wont bring interest. If he stops him, then there's still Pascal, Dawson, and possibly Ward sooner or later. Hell, Froch and Bute may move up soon, who knows. Im pumped for this one!
daprofessor
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 8 2013, 05:08 PM) *

if pascal had a little more pop....this might have already happened. cloud has more pop. it's highly likely.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 8 2013, 05:15 PM) *
if pascal had a little more pop....this might have already happened. cloud has more pop. it's highly likely.

I completely agree. I can't see Hopkins taking a good shot from cloud, he might be able to outbox him but if he gets hit will more than likely be it. Cloud can throw that thunder (no pun)
daprofessor
bhop whispered these words to cloud....

"He was saying, 'I don't want you to beat me up that bad,' and I was telling him, 'Well I'm gonna whup your a__ anyway," Cloud, 31, told three reporters in a dressing room

cloud went on to say....

"He's got draws and losses and no contests and stuff like that. The people are tired of him. They want somebody to hurt him, really. They're tired of all of his games. I feel like, f__k him. That's what I feel like. F__k him. I ain't mad. I just really mean it. F__k him."

laugh.gif

this is going to be good. cloud was sparring with golovkin in preparation for this fight. offensively speaking, i don't think there's anything bhop can show him that golvokin can't. defensively speaking....that's another story.
neophyte7
Cloud seems to be over confident and underestimating Hopkins...
jdubbya33
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 3 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Jack

I really want B hop to win this one. But I think age catched up with him and he gets stopped. I hope I'm wrong.
Dolimite
I have yet to see Cloud fight so this will be my first time seeing the lad in the squared circle. I do not know about his style of fighting so I will be a close observer. Hopkins is a master at this point in the game. He has the body of a 20 year old and the boxing skills of an all time great. His ring IQ and experience will probably give him the advantage, he has been to the rodeo more than once. His dedication to the sport is like no other. Again I can not call this fight because I have not seen Cloud fight before, but I had to pick, I would go for Hopkins just because of his experience and ring IQ. He is a throw back fighter, he thinks and he hits. Hopefully there is one more execution in the executioner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.