Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floyd taking shots at ward!?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bnoles4life
WOW. This has gotten this board charged, huh? My two cents:

This is unnecessary, on Floyd's part. In my novice psychologist's POV, Floyd expected some allegiance from Ward and seemed a little disrespected/betrayed by Ward's words. I commented on the article at the time and said, "No where in this article does Andre Ward say Guerrero WILL win...." I think that's the part Floyd omitted when he processed what he read/heard (big emphasis on HEARD).

As far as the interview goes, I believe that was something that could've been/should've been "side stepped". There are a few things, IMO, of which you steer clear and one of them is a person's faith. You can't rationalize someone else's "faith" and to question it, especially when the person hasn't done anything REMOTELY hypocritical, well isn't the wisest of things. Now, someone mentioned he, Floyd, wants to win "hearts and minds, but he doesn't know how...". Well, someone needs to hire him a publicist, b/c this isn't the way to go about it. Think about it: This country is largely ran on Judeau-Christian values and he mocks a guy who uses "S.O.G." as his calling card? While no one is beyond reproach, I have to say, this is a road he shouldn't want to go down. You wanna know how powerful that religion thing is in sports? Manny potentially has fathered a child out of wedlock, has/had a gambling problem and allegedly reneged on a significant debt. All of that, has pretty much been wiped out the moment he "got back right w/ God" (well, that and the media kinda looked the other way.....EVERY TIME)....and dude STILL has a Hennessy commercial in heavy rotation!!!!!

Lastly, Floyd spit that Ward is unpopular, well, as soon as the mainstream media gets wind of this, that's no longer going to be true. If Ward's camp does it right, they could eat this up. I mean, Floyd is like the E.F. Hutton in boxing, when he speaks, everyone rallies around and supports the target(s) of his words. I can see it now, "Mayweather mocks fighter for choosing faith over money." <<<<< No matter how out of context it will be, people will slurp that up.

In short, if it's true Floyd wants to win over people, it's time for Floyd to hire a publicist and save him from himself.
mgrover
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 14 2013, 11:26 AM) *
WOW. This has gotten this board charged, huh?

religion seems to do that to people lol
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 14 2013, 06:26 AM) *

This is unnecessary, on Floyd's part. In my novice psychologist's POV, Floyd expected some allegiance from Ward and seemed a little disrespected/betrayed by Ward's words. I commented on the article at the time and said, "No where in this article does Andre Ward say Guerrero WILL win...." I think that's the part Floyd omitted when he processed what he read/heard (big emphasis on HEARD).

As far as the interview goes, I believe that was something that could've been/should've been "side stepped". There are a few things, IMO, of which you steer clear and one of them is a person's faith. You can't rationalize someone else's "faith" and to question it, especially when the person hasn't done anything REMOTELY hypocritical, well isn't the wisest of things. Now, someone mentioned he, Floyd, wants to win "hearts and minds, but he doesn't know how...". Well, someone needs to hire him a publicist, b/c this isn't the way to go about it. Think about it: This country is largely ran on Judeau-Christian values and he mocks a guy who uses "S.O.G." as his calling card? While no one is beyond reproach, I have to say, this is a road he shouldn't want to go down. You wanna know how powerful that religion thing is in sports? Manny potentially has fathered a child out of wedlock, has/had a gambling problem and allegedly reneged on a significant debt. All of that, has pretty much been wiped out the moment he "got back right w/ God" (well, that and the media kinda looked the other way.....EVERY TIME)....and dude STILL has a Hennessy commercial in heavy rotation!!!!!

Lastly, Floyd spit that Ward is unpopular, well, as soon as the mainstream media gets wind of this, that's no longer going to be true. If Ward's camp does it right, they could eat this up. I mean, Floyd is like the E.F. Hutton in boxing, when he speaks, everyone rallies around and supports the target(s) of his words. I can see it now, "Mayweather mocks fighter for choosing faith over money." <<<<< No matter how out of context it will be, people will slurp that up.

In short, if it's true Floyd wants to win over people, it's time for Floyd to hire a publicist and save him from himself.

Haha i still don't get what the big deal is ahaha, it does have people charged. I seen some god damn essays posted over this little spat.

Who the fuck wants a publicist when you can get attention like this over a little back and forth! Lol, I don't see the draw in all this, its so funny. It's a just an Oakland brother getting Oakland with a D-town dude and the D-town dude getting Detroit on his ass back!

Why the hell is Prince still a manager!!! Lol, this guy is like 50 cent 5 years from now! He's a terrible manager, he's the reason Floyd got haymon and got into promoting himself Haha. Wth is ward thinking having this guy on the team!
Jovi
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 14 2013, 07:26 AM) *

Well written, Side note, i appreciate all of you and being a part of this. I love reading this when I'm cooked, a lot of you write very well while i notice I'm not even considered an "amateur" writer.. Especially any minorities, I'm impressed, they need to have these boxing forums more prevalent on ESPN or some network so EVERYONE can be considered a "Hardcore" fan. That way Andre Ward would be more popular too among others. I'm tryna do something on FIRST TAKE one day, they seem like they dont know shit about boxing. Stephen A is my dude though, he makes me wanna read the dictionary.

Enough baked thoughts.. If what someone said earlier about Ward's Manager is true, then it all makes sense, a shitty promotion team will get you no where even if you have the skill.
Dolimite
This shit has gotten out of hand. These dudes are way far better than this. Jealousy and envy is a female trait. These men both represented their country in the Olympics (Floyd got robbed) and they are both amazing boxers. What Floyd said was true but not needed to be said in public at the same time Andre has said many sly shit about Floyd and that was uncalled for. Prince and Ellerbee needs to stay out of it. Prince is a freaking gangster so he needs to calm down, Sadly this just sold more tickets in a negative way and Andre Ward is finally getting exposure. These dudes are better this and I hope they can call each other up and just squash it and keep moving. Both men spoke out of pocket. Both men need to put this shit down and move on.
neophyte7
THIS IS WHAT BOXING IS ALL ABOUT-- SHIT TALKING AND CONTROVERSY... ALL WHO FEEL OFFENDED AND OUTRAGED TAKE OFF THE THONGS AND TAMPONS!!!
mitukczuk
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 14 2013, 01:11 PM) *
THIS IS WHAT BOXING IS ALL ABOUT-- SHIT TALKING AND CONTROVERSY... ALL WHO FEEL OFFENDED AND OUTRAGED TAKE OFF THE THONGS AND TAMPONS!!!

+1
daprofessor
QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 13 2013, 09:48 PM) *
http://www.fighthype.com/news/external/ind...yweather--63331

James Princes Response to Floyd. The beginning part if what Janes Prince says was extremely inaccurate and out of context. Prophets weren't PRIZE fighters. However Floyd got what he asked for. Some thing's are better left unsaid and Floyd was out of pocket. Janes prince Ethered him and I hope Floyd is humbled a bit after this. Btw I'm a huge fan of most of Floyd's antics. Very entertaining. I fucks with Floyd. But he was wrong to say what he said about ward. That was just some hating ass bird ass nigga shit. I hope the issue ends here.

he did ether floyd...and he was right about the prophets. david was a fighter and a prophet.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 13 2013, 09:58 PM) *
Poor Guerrero...dude is getting no press at all. You'd think that Floyd was fighting Ward on May 4th. laugh.gif

it's probably best for him this way. takes the pressure off.
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 13 2013, 10:26 PM) *
This is blowing way out of proportion because it's between two names that no one expected. Floyd said things that didn't need to be said that wasn't even relevant to the question.

that is always the case. he is his own worse enemy. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 13 2013, 11:16 PM) *
Broners last fight had 1.4 mil views on HBO. Thats what im basing his popularity on. Wards not doing numbers like that. HBOs fast tracking Broner to PPV.

one good showing doesn't make him more popular. like i said...ward has been around for quite some time and has headlined his own shows way more times than broner. broner is still new to the game. he may pass ward in popularity....doesn't make him any better a fighter.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 13 2013, 10:49 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-wards-man...yweather--63331

Check out Ward's piece of shit manager(J- Prince) rebuttal to Floyd. He took a lot of shots at Floyd

pun intended? unsure.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Mar 14 2013, 12:25 AM) *
I guess boxing is starting to turn into WWE or at least Hip Hop. Pure comedy to me.

seriously. this all sounds like that bullshit ass east coast/west coast beef and it's being fed unnecessarily. not even worth covering to be honest...but it's feeding this thread and many others. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 14 2013, 12:51 AM) *
Mayweather sounds like a delusional little man. Selling out arena's worldwide?!!? When has he fought outside the US?

The guy is asked a question about Andre Ward backing Guererro in the fight and Mayweather turns it into a how much is Andre Ward making question. It aint his business how much Andre Ward or any other man makes.

The whole bit about Ali... I dont think Ali would trade in any of it. He was a man with bravado and made the choices to fight who he fought. He paid a price, but I dont think he changes a damn thing. Mayweather will be fine after his career is over, but he did throw a subtle hint that he's avoided certain guys with his comment about the press or the fans picking who he should fight. Interestingly subtle...

laugh.gif pretty much what i was thinking. they comp a lot of the tickets to his fights...but those ppv numbers don't lie.

you're right....what ward makes has absolutely nothing to do anything. it's the whole ego thing speaking on floyds part. he's a great boxer. no one ever said he has great character. that's usually the case with many ppl who are great at things...other areas of their lives leave a lot to be desired.
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 14 2013, 12:58 AM) *
And also the bit about going down as the smartest fighter in history.... Nobody gives a shit about a smart fighter or how smart a fighter was. Just like nobody gives a shit about an undefeated nuclear physicist. I dont give a shit how much these guys make. i just want my brand of entertainment. I understand the whole bit about securing ones family, but its the job these guys chose to do. So as a fan, I want the best bang for my buck. If you can still make money without fighting the best guys, continue to do so. I know I wont pay for BS fights. I got a family to secure too.

i've been saying this for ages. i get that they need to make money....but i don't give a shit about any of that. i wanna see good fights.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 03:29 AM) *
I read J Prince's response and while I love Rap A Lot and what he accomplished as a record exec, he has no place in boxing. He's an extortion artist. Got caught up in a lawsuit with Dawson, Winky left him for some shady shit, Shane stopped messing around with him and that shit he pulled with Floyd is legendary. A ot of the boxers he managed have left him. In his case against Dawson, no one could give a definitive answer on what it is he does for the fighters

He is always made a point to jump into some stuff when Floyd or even 50 is involved. He got involved in a beef against 50 that wasn't his problem, he just wanted to be Suge's play pal and get at 50 because he was signed to Dre. We all know why he goes at Floyd so hard. He stole the guys money and then when Floyd wants out he sends goons at the gym to send a message. I love Andre Ward but like Biggie told 2pac, watch the company you keep

The real ether is how none of the fighters he's EVER managed have been ticket sellers or made big money. None of them put asses in seats. Most of them got decent paydays, Ward is a million dollar fighter, but in his reccent interviews you can tell he's ready for more. I'm sure it makes his blood boil to see those fighters have success without his hands in their pocket. I think his alleged management services in regards to boxing will eventually end just like his record label success

say what u will...but i read nothing but respect coming from floyds team in response to what essentially was more shit talk coming from j prince. all of this wouldn't be an issue now if floyd didn't start poppin off at the mouth. that shit talking flies in some places....but among men, it gets no play.
neophyte7
looks like Floyd accomplished his objective... look at all the hoopla over his comments towards Ward... just adds to his upcoming event- Great Marketing LOL
daprofessor

excellent points. he's beyond the point of no return. he chose the villain role and we all saw how that worked out for mike tyson. floyd keeps giving ppl, the media in particular, much to work with. i've said it in the past...he can benefit from a good p.r. person...but i don't believe there's any understanding on his team of what good p.r. can do. they have said it time and time again...they have it figured out. ok.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 14 2013, 12:23 PM) *
This shit has gotten out of hand. These dudes are way far better than this. Jealousy and envy is a female trait. These men both represented their country in the Olympics (Floyd got robbed) and they are both amazing boxers. What Floyd said was true but not needed to be said in public at the same time Andre has said many sly shit about Floyd and that was uncalled for. Prince and Ellerbee needs to stay out of it. Prince is a freaking gangster so he needs to calm down, Sadly this just sold more tickets in a negative way and Andre Ward is finally getting exposure. These dudes are better this and I hope they can call each other up and just squash it and keep moving. Both men spoke out of pocket. Both men need to put this shit down and move on.

did ward speak out of pocket? i must have missed that.
daprofessor

i don't think anyone is offended. but while everyone is sitting back wondering why boxing isn't mainstream....and why they don't attract big time sponsors and all that...consider this.
daprofessor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 14 2013, 05:10 PM) *
looks like Floyd accomplished his objective... look at all the hoopla over his comments towards Ward... just adds to his upcoming event- Great Marketing LOL

if u think that was by design i have a bridge i wanna sell u. laugh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 09:17 PM) *

Andre Ward Responds to Floyds Mayweather
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 04:17 PM) *

No he didn't, quite the opposite. I agree with others, in that this isn't really news worthy and tbh, from what I've seen, this "blip" has gotten more steam in this forum, than anywhere else (I have my thoughts as to why, but we'll leave that alone).
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 02:17 PM) *

His comment about what he did to Ortiz and after he head butted him. He felt Ward spoke against him then he said a couple of sly shit but nothing serious.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 03:09 PM) *
say what u will...but i read nothing but respect coming from floyds team in response to what essentially was more shit talk coming from j prince. all of this wouldn't be an issue now if floyd didn't start poppin off at the mouth. that shit talking flies in some places....but among men, it gets no play.

J Prince is a fuckin gangster. Don't act like you or anyone else on this board has the nuts to go against him. He already sent goons that put hands on Ellerbe and that eventual turn coat Tommy Smalls. Amongst men? If selling drugs, extortion, and bullying people is a man to you, then that's find and dandy by me. But don't expect me to agree. His record in entertainment business is questionable. Dawson sued his ass and at the hearing no one could tell you what he actually did.Men are defined by much more then what you think. I know you on your Cali kick but open up your eyes a bit fam

Floyd can say what he wants, just like Ward and Prince, but that don't change the facts. You say they comp alot of Floyd fights. WTF you think they do at Ward fights? You can google search and get that info. Bring it back and let's see who is more popula and who shit gets comp'd more. Floyd fights get under a 1,000 comp'd. Broner move numbers. Ward can barely get his mom to come to his fights

I'm seriously asking you what PROFF do you have that Ward is popular then Broner? I'm actually looking for the ehter that you co-signing also. If that's ether then I want to be addressed as Nas from hear on out. Floyd was a bit tacky in his approach and how he said it but don't sit here and deny the fact that he had a point with some of the things he was saying. No one likes Bible thumpers. Why, I don't know. While Ward is the real deal and I feel Floyd shouldn't have questioned that, he could have articulated it better, but therein lies his problem. He means well but it doesn't translate. The thought was nice but when the plan is executed it falls flat.

But in regards to J Prince, I got to say he's the last person to be speaking on anything demonic and about a person's shortcomings. You can agree or disagree but facts are facts.
mrchitown
@andreward
I'm not an athlete who happens to be a Christian, but a Christian who happens to be an athlete!!

@andreward
I Won't Sell My Soul For Money, Fans, PPV Buys, or Whatever Else. I'm Not Selling Out!! God Has Been Too Good To Me!! #SOG

@andreward
I'm not just trying to just get or take something from the game...but give something to the game & leave a legacy.

‏@andreward
If a fighter leaves with their facilities in tact, finances in tact, integrity in tact. You can call that a successful career in my book.

‏@andreward
I love boxing y'all...but there is more to my life than lacing up boxing gloves. It's a small part of my life.

‏@andreward
One day boxing will end. No more fans, no more big checks, no more tv. People will be cheering someone else on. Then...who are you

Got to give it up to Ward, he is forever the class act
BigFightFan
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 06:53 PM) *
@andreward
I'm not an athlete who happens to be a Christian, but a Christian who happens to be an athlete!!

@andreward
I Won't Sell My Soul For Money, Fans, PPV Buys, or Whatever Else. I'm Not Selling Out!! God Has Been Too Good To Me!! #SOG

@andreward
I'm not just trying to just get or take something from the game...but give something to the game & leave a legacy.

‏@andreward
If a fighter leaves with their facilities in tact, finances in tact, integrity in tact. You can call that a successful career in my book.

‏@andreward
I love boxing y'all...but there is more to my life than lacing up boxing gloves. It's a small part of my life.

‏@andreward
One day boxing will end. No more fans, no more big checks, no more tv. People will be cheering someone else on. Then...who are you

He can text whatever, but it doesn't mean that's the way he actually feels on the inside. Who really believes that he doesn't want to be a big attraction, make a boat load of money, and whatever comes with being # 1? It just irks my nerves how people use religion or god to justify an argument and Ward isn't the only one guilty of this. He is basically saying that Floyd sold his soul to the devil lol and that he can't make to that level necause he following the righteous path. Lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 06:07 PM) *
J Prince is a fuckin gangster. Don't act like you or anyone else on this board has the nuts to go against him. He already sent goons that put hands on Ellerbe and that eventual turn coat Tommy Smalls. Amongst men? If selling drugs, extortion, and bullying people is a man to you, then that's find and dandy by me. But don't expect me to agree. His record in entertainment business is questionable. Dawson sued his ass and at the hearing no one could tell you what he actually did.Men are defined by much more then what you think. I know you on your Cali kick but open up your eyes a bit fam

Floyd can say what he wants, just like Ward and Prince, but that don't change the facts. You say they comp alot of Floyd fights. WTF you think they do at Ward fights? You can google search and get that info. Bring it back and let's see who is more popula and who shit gets comp'd more. Floyd fights get under a 1,000 comp'd. Broner move numbers. Ward can barely get his mom to come to his fights

I'm seriously asking you what PROFF do you have that Ward is popular then Broner? I'm actually looking for the ehter that you co-signing also. If that's ether then I want to be addressed as Nas from hear on out. Floyd was a bit tacky in his approach and how he said it but don't sit here and deny the fact that he had a point with some of the things he was saying. No one likes Bible thumpers. Why, I don't know. While Ward is the real deal and I feel Floyd shouldn't have questioned that, he could have articulated it better, but therein lies his problem. He means well but it doesn't translate. The thought was nice but when the plan is executed it falls flat.

But in regards to J Prince, I got to say he's the last person to be speaking on anything demonic and about a person's shortcomings. You can agree or disagree but facts are facts.

i didn't say he wasn't a gangster. i'm not acting like nothing. i know this much...i ain't talking shit unless i'm absolutely sure i can back it up...and even then, actions speak louder than words. you are entitled to your opinion. we have walked different paths. i don't expect you to see shit the way i do. i've been in cali for a minute but best believe i'm south side chi til i die. i'll put that on everything. i've been a man a long time and i've known real men all my life. i guess what it comes down to is we are living in different times. i grew up during a time where if you popped off at the mouth, you got dealt with. plain and simple. i know there are plenty of cats out there that still roll that way. i think it's a generational thing. it's like cats out there that play keyboard gangsters but in real life won't say a single word. it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. best believe words are very powerful. people need to choose them wisely. while he's entertaining some...he's offending others. that's something that can get him hurt. i know the reputation that j prince has.

it's ether because there were prophets who were warriors like he said. i named david as the example. it's also ether because floyd forgot he didn't sell well at one point in his career either. i'm not arguing wards and floyds numbers. there's no comparison....but let's not act like floyd is selling out arenas world wide when he isn't. like i said before....his ppv numbers don't lie...but last i checked, floyd hasn't fought outside of vegas in a long time. also...let's not act like floyd is where he is at because of his own doing. i asked in another post...and i'll ask again... would he be in this position without his pops? or without his uncle? he comes from a fighting family that has decades of experience that he benefited from, so for him to compare himself to ward isn't fair. also...i mentioned that the lack of opposition for ward isn't something he has control of. floyd came at a time when there was plenty of opposition in the weight classes he's been in. i pointed out that ward took a different path. they opted out of their hbo contract to get where he is today. i asked before...and i'll ask again...would floyd still be undefeated without his uncle or pops? without bob arum and his brilliant match makers? it's just ward and virgil hunter. success is a relative term. sure...ward has a gold medal, but he came at a time when things have drastically changed in boxing. there was no team behind him like there was behind oscar, leonard, ali or even floyd for that matter.

broner is popular to hbo subscribers and on twitter i guess. i got rid of both. the ppl i know and talk to about boxing....and there are very many....would agree that ward is the more popular fighter because of his accomplishments at this point. like i said before....broner is young in his career, he may pass ward eventually. especially with him being one of the last guys at hbo. he's the next guy they're going to try and force feed the public.

truth or not....floyd crossed a line imo. i guess he got homotional because ward said he was rooting for guerrero. laugh.gif more proof that he wants to be loved.

this is ridiculous. i'm a floyd fan. again...i don't give a shit about what he does outside of the ring. i'm tuning out on this topic and i'll tune back in for the fight.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 06:53 PM) *
@andreward

@andreward

@andreward

‏@andreward

‏@andreward

‏@andreward

yes he is.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 14 2013, 07:24 PM) *
He can text whatever, but it doesn't mean that's the way he actually feels on the inside. Who really believes that he doesn't want to be a big attraction, make a boat load of money, and whatever comes with being # 1? It just irks my nerves how people use religion or god to justify an argument and Ward isn't the only one guilty of this. He is basically saying that Floyd sold his soul to the devil lol and that he can't make to that level necause he following the righteous path. Lol

that's an assumption.

let's not get it twisted...they're all in this for the money, but that isn't all they're in it for. a friend of mine was recently complaining about an amateur tournament that has been around since forever and how it had fallen from what it once was. everyone and their mother had something to say about why....but the one that stuck out the most to me...he pointed to how the old timers did it for the love of the sport. they wanted to give the kids something good and everyone rallied around that. they didn't make much money doing it either. the new guys running the tournament are all about the money and it's gone to pure shit. so much so that no one wants to participate. money isn't everything.

dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 03:55 PM) *
seriously. this all sounds like that bullshit ass east coast/west coast beef and it's being fed unnecessarily. not even worth covering to be honest...but it's feeding this thread and many others. laugh.gif

Hey man it gives us something to talk about. It gives us to a chance to talk about the truth about fighters
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 06:30 PM) *
yes he is.

Which one? You think he's trying leave a legacy?

I agree, the pussified era is some of the new kids comin up. But no one is above being critiqued, not even Andre. I have no beefs with Ward and I think he's handling it in a classy way, which is a testament to his character. My problem is with his management. And if I'm out of line so fuckin be it but I don't get how he's so bible based and he practically is managed by a man who many consider the devil. It don't work both ways, you can't have it this way and then try to cut off the other way...And in regards to J Prince, I'd be surprised if Ward is managed by him down the road. ALL of his fighters eave him and it's over the same thing..$$$$

I think Floyd did get a little sore about Andre ridin with Guerrero but I don't see the problem with that because correct me if I'm wrong, they go way way back. I don't understand what Floyd sees wrong with him riding for his friend. And I agree we grew up in two different generations. I'ma 80's baby and we don't do the whole speak soft and then fight shit. We'll talk it out and swap it out, at least that's what we did in my hood. I agree that without Roger and Floyd sr he wouldn't be where he is to a certain extent, and you got to say Arum because Arum took a chance on him. But he pushed it to another level and that's something that none of them could've did for him. MJ wouldn't have won rings without Phil Jackson coaching and Scottie Pippen playing his part but that doesn't diminish him and in this case Floyd because they still have to go out and get the job done.

I think he crossed a path in the sense that he attacked Andre for his view on the fight but the religious aspect. I don't agree, no one is above criticism. TBH, I hope they squash it. Both are great talents and instead of this petty and meaningless lil debate they got going, they should be supporting one another and uplifting one another
mrchitown
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 14 2013, 06:24 PM) *

I think he wants to be a big PPV star, he said it earlier this week in fact, but I don't think he's willing to compromise himself to attain those goals. I see what your saying though lol...and that goes back to what I said in a previous post, some (not talking about you) don't like bible thumpers and I think some fans feel he is one(again, not talking about you). There are athletes who play up this religion angle and it makes me sick to my stomach

What gets me is why is it off limits to discuss Ward's, or Tebow's or any other pro athletes situation in that regard. Everybody knows if you go at Tebow, that's suicide lol. It's like saying because I don't got to church regularly I'm a heathen and I can be critiqued but the other goes to church, champions their faith and they get a pass
dre98
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 08:00 PM) *
I think he wants to be a big PPV star, he said it earlier this week in fact, but I don't think he's willing to compromise himself to attain those goals. I see what your saying though lol...and that goes back to what I said in a previous post, some (not talking about you) don't like bible thumpers and I think some fans feel he is one(again, not talking about you). There are athletes who play up this religion angle and it makes me sick to my stomach

What gets me is why is it off limits to discuss Ward's, or Tebow's or any other pro athletes situation in that regard. Everybody knows if you go at Tebow, that's suicide lol. It's like saying because I don't got to church regularly I'm a heathen and I can be critiqued but the other goes to church, champions their faith and they get a pass

I think its nothing wrong with one displaying your faith but Ward or Guerrero should act like they getting in the squared circle because God put them there or they are fighting for God. Boxing is sport where you fight for money and entertainment not for righteousness or anything like that. Its all entertainment and they should keep it that way. Some people are born with different abilities than others but it doesnt mean your fighting like your Palestine and Israel.
Slumpage
Yeah whenever I hear fighters talking bout their particular faith, its never something that interests me as a fan since I'm not religious myself anyway. I guess its because this sport is to all intents fighting for money. I don't really get how you can follow a religious lifestyle and reconcile that, but that's not my problem really. If a fighter has a belief and it motivates him to perform to the best of his abilities resulting in sweet fights, then I'm happy...

As for this whole Floyd vs Ward bs... The most interesting thing I've taken from it all is, why the hell is Ward still associated with this apparently shady as fuck Prince dude?
bnoles4life
Man, this thread took off. LOL.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 08:00 PM) *

We are on the same page, this goes beyond Floyd vs Ward. In everyday life I see so many people waving the religion sword and say they are living according to the good book, but keep up so much crap. Lol it's to point where I find myself monitoring their actions, so I can critique them.
Cshel86
I commented on the article at the time and said, "No where in this article does Andre Ward say Guerrero WILL win...." I think that's the part Floyd omitted when he processed what he read/heard (big emphasis on HEARD).

You'd have to question whether he even processed it, based on his left-field response to the Ward's view of the fight.

QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 14 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Well written, Side note, i appreciate all of you and being a part of this. I love reading this when I'm cooked, a lot of you write very well while i notice I'm not even considered an "amateur" writer..

We welcome your baked thoughts with open arms...now STFU and pass the joint man. Puff puff give man! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 04:47 PM) *
it's probably best for him this way. takes the pressure off.

Hopefully that's the case. He doesn't strike me as the guy who cares much for popularity though.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 05:13 PM) *
excellent points. he's beyond the point of no return. he chose the villain role and we all saw how that worked out for mike tyson.

The difference is, Tyson is/was CRAZY...Floyd just comes off as half-witted sometimes...even when he says things that makes sense.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 14 2013, 06:29 PM) *
No he didn't, quite the opposite. I agree with others, in that this isn't really news worthy and tbh, from what I've seen, this "blip" has gotten more steam in this forum, than anywhere else (I have my thoughts as to why, but we'll leave that alone).

We all know why. It's one of those "1+1" common sense-type answers. cool.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 14 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Well written, Side note, i appreciate all of you and being a part of this. I love reading this when I'm cooked, a lot of you write very well while i notice I'm not even considered an "amateur" writer.. Especially any minorities, I'm impressed, they need to have these boxing forums more prevalent on ESPN or some network so EVERYONE can be considered a "Hardcore" fan. That way Andre Ward would be more popular too among others. I'm tryna do something on FIRST TAKE one day, they seem like they dont know shit about boxing. Stephen A is my dude though, he makes me wanna read the dictionary.

Enough baked thoughts.. If what someone said earlier about Ward's Manager is true, then it all makes sense, a shitty promotion team will get you no where even if you have the skill.

ohmy.gif

I JUST caught this...

NO THEY DON'T!!! NONE of this needs to be publicized...none of it!

I'd fuck around and be like that guy on Twitter who trolled a boxer, and they went after him...found out where he lived and all. Not only that, but we share some decent marketing/promotional ideas on here...no need to overpaid opportunists to get paid off of our hard work.

laugh.gif
Dolimite
Here is the thing, and after rereading Floyd's comments as well as Ward's manager and Wards, and Guerrero's past statements and this is my take:

Floyd sounded off on not particularly Andre Ward but people in general who feel that "God is on there side" and he also said they he may not be perfect but he prays every morning and night. Which means that just because you a squeaky doesn't mean God favors you over the next guy or girl (don't want to be sexist). All the shit Guerrero was talking about how God sent him to humble Mayweather blah blah is a little strange because I am sure that the past fighters Floyd has fought where Christians as well... Manny Pacquiao is a representative of the Catholic Church and he got laid the hell out, did God not favor Manny or was God feeling JMM a little more that night? Saying God is picking you over another man is something of a a conceitedness that I feel some Christians believe that they have over others. Just because you go to church more and tithe and are squeaky clean doesn't mean you are God's favor. Jesus even said "I am not here for the healthy I am here for the sick" meaning that he wants the sinners. Ward represents himself as a gentleman and he seems to be one, but I have no idea what he is like behind closed doors especially with a manager like J. Prince.

As far as his comments about Ward: Yes they were true and he said what he felt he needed to say. I think his comments about melting his gold medal was a little much but everything else I could agree with. He is not known outside of boxing fans, he isn't a big attraction and he isn't making the kind of money that he is suppose to be making. I agree with that. However, I do think he was just pissed that Ward would say one thing (Floyd being his favorite boxing) and then turning around and picking Guerrero to win or pulling for Guerrero to win. Now what would make this interesting if Ward appeared on Camp 360 in Guerrero's gym, that would give Ward exposure and more fuel to the fire or vica versa. What James Prince said was a bit inaccurate, the reason why Floyd got De La Hoya was because his name was getting well known, especially after the Judah and Gatti fight. Floyd was really coming into his own. I think Prince saw an opportunity to speak up for his boxer and that he did. You fight fire with fire. Leonerd E. should tell Floyd to chill and get back to training but Floyd is not going to let that shit by James go so maybe we will have more war of words. Ward should also tell Prince to chill, we don't need another Royce da 5'9 and D-12 beef (someone actually got shot) instead let bygones be bygones. Guerrero has to feel like the side chic because no one is talking about him. LOL. And I do not think Broner at this stage could beat Mayweather.
mrchitown
QUOTE (dre98 @ Mar 14 2013, 07:13 PM) *
I think its nothing wrong with one displaying your faith but Ward or Guerrero should act like they getting in the squared circle because God put them there or they are fighting for God. Boxing is sport where you fight for money and entertainment not for righteousness or anything like that. Its all entertainment and they should keep it that way. Some people are born with different abilities than others but it doesnt mean your fighting like your Palestine and Israel.

I agree
mrchitown
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 14 2013, 08:19 PM) *
We are on the same page, this goes beyond Floyd vs Ward. In everyday life I see so many people waving the religion sword and say they are living according to the good book, but keep up so much crap. Lol it's to point where I find myself monitoring their actions, so I can critique them.

We call that bible thumping lol.....the issue is bigger then Floyd, I think it's more so the religion/God aspect of it. But because Floyd is involved that will get pushed to the side and he's hating and he jealous blah blah blah. I just never understood why because someone champions their faith, which I don't see wrong in..they always get a pass and when someone speaks on them, they're monsters lol

We don't know what's going on behind closed doors. And like I said, Ward is a man of God but he's managed by one of the most notorious gangsters from Houston. J Prince's exploits in the streets are legendary and he's known to rip people off. I give props to Floyd's father for sticking up to Prince back in the day on behalf of his son. That took some balls...but Ward is a great boxer and what he does is what he does but he we don't know if he's as clean cut as some think he is..no one's above criticism, we should all not judge others but criticism and being spoke on is different then judging. And I don't think Floyd was judging him, I think it was a critique that went over the edge but how is he wrong for expressing his opinion
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 14 2013, 07:57 PM) *
Man, this thread took off. LOL.

This aint nothing new. Anytime religion is involved, comments always come in abundance
mrchitown
Andre S.O.G. Ward ‏@andreward
@danrafaelespn Lil Floyd says he spars middleweights. He is the only man I will sacrifice coming to 160 for. He won't take that bait!! #SOG

This is dumb, he just opened himself up for criticism by saying this
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 07:51 PM) *
Which one? You think he's trying leave a legacy?

I agree, the pussified era is some of the new kids comin up. But no one is above being critiqued, not even Andre. I have no beefs with Ward and I think he's handling it in a classy way, which is a testament to his character. My problem is with his management. And if I'm out of line so fuckin be it but I don't get how he's so bible based and he practically is managed by a man who many consider the devil. It don't work both ways, you can't have it this way and then try to cut off the other way...And in regards to J Prince, I'd be surprised if Ward is managed by him down the road. ALL of his fighters eave him and it's over the same thing..$$$$

I think Floyd did get a little sore about Andre ridin with Guerrero but I don't see the problem with that because correct me if I'm wrong, they go way way back. I don't understand what Floyd sees wrong with him riding for his friend. And I agree we grew up in two different generations. I'ma 80's baby and we don't do the whole speak soft and then fight shit. We'll talk it out and swap it out, at least that's what we did in my hood. I agree that without Roger and Floyd sr he wouldn't be where he is to a certain extent, and you got to say Arum because Arum took a chance on him. But he pushed it to another level and that's something that none of them could've did for him. MJ wouldn't have won rings without Phil Jackson coaching and Scottie Pippen playing his part but that doesn't diminish him and in this case Floyd because they still have to go out and get the job done.

I think he crossed a path in the sense that he attacked Andre for his view on the fight but the religious aspect. I don't agree, no one is above criticism. TBH, I hope they squash it. Both are great talents and instead of this petty and meaningless lil debate they got going, they should be supporting one another and uplifting one another

Good post Nas!!! aka chitown
Marcus
ANDRE WARD CHALLENFED FLOYD TO FIGHT AT A CATCHWRIGHT OF 160 ON TWITTER
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 11:03 PM) *
Andre S.O.G. Ward ‏@andreward
@danrafaelespn Lil Floyd says he spars middleweights. He is the only man I will sacrifice coming to 160 for. He won't take that bait!! #SOG

This is dumb, he just opened himself up for criticism by saying this

Now this is plain dumb! He wouldn't go up to Dawson but he would drop all the way down to 160 which is shit for him. Andre is not turning the other cheek and what happen to Ward keeping quiet and talking like men? Funny have quickly people forget their faith but this is getting him exposure. Floyd can't even make 154 get real Andre now people are going to say Floyd is ducking Ward. Well played. We have weight classes for a reason! But I guess it is true all roads lead to Floyd Mayweather, I guess Ward wants to be apart of the Mayweather sweepstakes, but he first he has to get through Andre Berto! This fight would sell!
Jovi
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 14 2013, 07:53 PM) *
@andreward

@andreward

@andreward

‏@andreward

‏@andreward

‏@andreward

What does Andre Ward do other than boxing. I feel him on that one day his time will end in boxing with no more fans checks and TV. But he's wrong, because if you do the right things in your career you SHOULD still have FANS, CHECKS, and TV...If i was one of these boxers SGR type legacies. I would've hopped my ass to ESPN a longgg time ago. The most i hear from boxing is at FIRST TAKE and its just Mayweather or Pacquiao. Hopkins went on the show and talked about Mayweather vs Pacquiao more than promote his own fight, he didnt even say Cloud's name lol. Atleast commentators, my favorite part during the fight comments comes from the boxers input RJJ, Tarver, George Forman, Mallanaggi, even Ward like once...He's a gold medalist, for America, the last one from america in Boxing in awhile actually , the media would eat that shit up, all he needs is his name brought up more, pride of the country. Maybe he really hasn't sold his soul and that's why he isn't getting any of the exposure he should.

I'm Not saying that Ward should just do whatever for popularity. But there's no doubt that once you hear Boxing Gold medalist and you see him dominate, you have respect and become a fan right away. It only took 1 fight for me to become a fan. His most popular and best fight was against Dawson, he decimated him. Dawson was my dude too, when he quit even i put my head down like "Damm, Ward is no joke". No one ever questions if Ward has the skills, but his legacy isn't as respected and brought up as much as it should be.. Dude is the only Gold Medalist from America that currently boxes, the others that i know of are either Latino or Chinese....

It just goes to show the different kind of legacy's one may have, You can be a Gold Medalist and have a Career like Sugar Ray Leonard or have one like Andre Ward. The choice is yours
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 14 2013, 12:52 PM) *
one good showing doesn't make him more popular. like i said...ward has been around for quite some time and has headlined his own shows way more times than broner. broner is still new to the game. he may pass ward in popularity....doesn't make him any better a fighter.

Come on professor. Your reaching now. Nobodies saying Ward isnt a great fighter. Beibers more popular than Sting but that doesnt make him the better artist. Broners getting 1.4 mil views after 2 headline performances. You think that numbers going down?
Franchize
QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 15 2013, 08:41 AM) *
What does Andre Ward do other than boxing. I feel him on that one day his time will end in boxing with no more fans checks and TV. But he's wrong, because if you do the right things in your career you SHOULD still have FANS, CHECKS, and TV..

This +1000

Respect and honor is cool. It will help you sleep better at night. However, not maximizing your marketability is stupid. This guy is talented inside and outside of the ring. He's speaks far better than Floyd. He's knowledgeable and charismatic. He has a far better reputation with in terms of his seemingly squeaky clean background. I'm not saying sell your soul to the devil but there's no reason why Ward shouldn't be a household name. I think he's doing himself a huge disservice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.