Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Think Floyd Mayweather Will Retire Undefeated?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Wusup FHC! Now that we know about Mayweather's 6 fight deal with Showtime in 33 months, if he owns up to it, do you see him retiring undefeated based on the (realistic) talent around the Welterweight/Super-Welterweight divisions?
mrchitown
Yup, realistically who around his weight class can beat him??? Canelo is an obvious choice but he gets hit too cleanly, look at how a natural junor welter fighter like Josesito backed him up in spots in their fight. The guy he's fighting May 4th in Guerrero, I don't think he has the tools to win the fight. He just doesn't look impressive to me at WW and I think he's being over rated a bit by his new legion of nut huggers.

I said last year that if Cotto didn't beat him then no one would and I'm sticking to that. His biggest challenge and the person who I would say has the absolute best chance of putting that L on Floyd's record is Sergio Martinez but I don't know if those two will ever lace up and fight each other
mitukczuk
Yep...my man will retire undefeated. BUT I think he will get knocked down somewhere along the way - which will haters love. I can already see "Yeah, yeah...he was undefeated but remember that one time he got KD?" biggrin.gif I don't think that Sergio Martinez, while possessing tremendous ability represents a big threat to Floyd though. His at times sloppy footwork and being out of balance and getting put on his ass as the result is something Money will take advantage of easily imo.
BigFightFan
If he completes all 6 fights, no he want retire undefeated. I think Floyd will gauge himself after every fight and retire before losing which is a smart move. Honestly money will be the major issue, if he manages his money he can retire at any point. If not he will fall in line with everyone else's who have fought past their best days.

Let me go off subject for a sec..

I always here Floyd and his team talk about leaving the game with all your falcuties in tact, but it only takes one fight to be ruined in the sport. So the longer Floyd hangs around- the greater the risk of him becoming one of those statistics
Plah
I believe this exact same thread was created some months ago. Can't wait for Cshel's response lol.

Btw, I voted yes because the ones who I think can beat him are Martínez and Trout and I don't think he'll ever fight them. (Them being too big for him, etc).
BrutUalBK
Yes, his ring IQ will keep him that way, he is just that guy (the MJ) of this era.
aTYpicalTYrant
I'm a fan but if he fights 6 opponents that are considered Top Level Comp I'm not so sure. He's getting no younger. Too many variables involved on this one for me. I hope he does go undefeated though.
Franchize
I think he'll get beat only because he's going to feed into the temptation of fighting a natural 154 lber.
neophyte7
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 21 2013, 06:46 AM) *
If he completes all 6 fights, no he want retire undefeated. I think Floyd will gauge himself after every fight and retire before losing which is a smart move. Honestly money will be the major issue, if he manages his money he can retire at any point. If not he will fall in line with everyone else's who have fought past their best days.

Let me go off subject for a sec..

I always here Floyd and his team talk about leaving the game with all your falcuties in tact, but it only takes one fight to be ruined in the sport. So the longer Floyd hangs around- the greater the risk of him becoming one of those statistics

what you said makes sense and also makes what Bernard Hopkins does at his age so remarkable----PBF trains like he does and has perfected defense a la BERNARD HOPKINS... the risk of him becoming a statistic is very small considering that he is 36 still sharp and is still very hard to hit in succession.. even when standing in the pocket.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Plah @ Mar 21 2013, 09:34 AM) *
I believe this exact same thread was created some months ago. Can't wait for Cshel's response lol.

Btw, I voted yes because the ones who I think can beat him are Martínez and Trout and I don't think he'll ever fight them. (Them being too big for him, etc).

yahoo.gif I can't wait
The Original MrFactor
I don't think he completes the SHOWTIME contract. It is possible for him to retire undefeated though. He's done it twice already...
Cshel86
I remember sending a smoke signal for this poster named Gambit808. Took a while to get an answer, so I assumed that he went off to the mountains to be a monk.

laugh.gif
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 21 2013, 07:59 PM) *
I remember sending a smoke signal for this poster named Gambit808. Took a while to get an answer, so I assumed that he went off to the mountains to be a monk.

laugh.gif

LMAO!
Gambit808
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 21 2013, 04:58 AM) *
Yep...my man will retire undefeated. BUT I think he will get knocked down somewhere along the way - which will haters love. I can already see "Yeah, yeah...he was undefeated but remember that one time he got KD?" biggrin.gif I don't think that Sergio Martinez, while possessing tremendous ability represents a big threat to Floyd though. His at times sloppy footwork and being out of balance and getting put on his ass as the result is something Money will take advantage of easily imo.

For some reason I feel that, that should happen (in away) for Mayweather to finally get his just due. It's almost like him being hurt on multiple occasions is not enough to justify his trials and tribulations.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Plah @ Mar 21 2013, 08:34 AM) *

It was. I just wanted some input "post 6 fight deal". Before then I figure he had about 2 or 3 left in the tank to perform at a high level.
KOpower
HELLLLL no. There is a 0.0% chance that Floyd takes care of his money. He will be broke a few years after he "retires"...then come out of retirement for a few paychecks. That is when he will lose. I would LOVE to see Floyd retire healthy and live a good and comfortable life with his family...but it just won't happen. He is a complete mess outside of the ring.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (KOpower @ Mar 21 2013, 08:41 PM) *
HELLLLL no. There is a 0.0% chance that Floyd takes care of his money. He will be broke a few years after he "retires"...then come out of retirement for a few paychecks. That is when he will lose. I would LOVE to see Floyd retire healthy and live a good and comfortable life with his family...but it just won't happen. He is a complete mess outside of the ring.

Do you know him? I do....Him being a complete mess is faaaaaaaaar from the truth....he does however take care of alot of people...
BrutUalBK
Dudes like Floyd (and Hopkins) with the kind of defense and ring IQ he/they have will never get KO'd coldly and will be far too careful against dangerous foes to place themselves into a point where they cannot come back from once they get rocked.

Floyd has been rocked a couple of times, how did he react? He reacted with patience, intelligence and full awareness of what was going on and then he turned around and dominated, so did BHop (when rocked by Pascal).

I can't see why some seem to think that the competition matters as much, both fighters (Mayweather and Bernard) have done the same things consistently from fight to fight and yet no fighter has really been able to figure out a way to KO either of them, let alone totally dominate either man.

I think Floyd will walk away from this sport with an unblemished record regardless of who he faces because his defense and ring IQ is just on another level and fighters like this only tend to come around every 20 years or so much in the way that a Track Star like Bolt only seems to sprout up every blue Moon or so.

Floyd will go out as an undefeated fighter!
Franchize
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 21 2013, 05:58 AM) *

LOL people still hold on to that Mosley 2nd round and the 1st Castillo fight as if they were embarrassing losses. If your lowest moments in the ring consist of a close decision over 10 years ago and losing one round out in a fight in which you domiated every other round, you're doing something really well lol.
Jovi
I think he retires undefeated even with Canelo and Martinez in his last 6 fights.. Canelo would be probably his most exciting fight and record breaker, he would easily handle Canelo, Canelo is tough, young, and eager, so he will try as much as he can but he will go down in the later rounds. Mayweather will be too much, if not a late KO then UD. Mayweather vs DLH 2....And for Martinez, as much as i like his style, its one dimensional, potshotter, keeps his hands down, can counter, no defense. He will get excited and gas out early. he almost didnt make it 12 with Chavez, and Mayweather will hit him more than chavez...Guerrero, Gamboa, Pacquiao, Bradley, Alexander all go out soundly, pacquiao would be toughest of the 5 just off strength but we already know what happens to pacquiao against someone who can counter (marquez) and who can skeet-skoot (bradley).

there's my logic along with alittle simulation from Fight Night Champion....I don't think he would take the Trout fight, but its boxing and anything can happen.

Bernard Hopkins said before that Mayweather's defense was better than his, I like how Bhop is defying age and showing how brain trumps brawn. Marquez also should have motivated to show that age is no factor, as long as Mayweather takes care of his body and keeps working, i have no doubt his skills will pay his bills and then some..
mgrover
300 million?? do you think Mayweather can really burn through all that? I hope Leonard makes sure he invests it in something that will give him a nice money stream after he retires, hopefully Mayweather Promotions does well.
Plah
QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 24 2013, 03:22 AM) *
I think he retires undefeated even with Canelo and Martinez in his last 6 fights.. Canelo would be probably his most exciting fight and record breaker, he would easily handle Canelo, Canelo is tough, young, and eager, so he will try as much as he can but he will go down in the later rounds. Mayweather will be too much, if not a late KO then UD. Mayweather vs DLH 2....And for Martinez, as much as i like his style, its one dimensional, potshotter, keeps his hands down, can counter, no defense. He will get excited and gas out early. he almost didnt make it 12 with Chavez, and Mayweather will hit him more than chavez...Guerrero, Gamboa, Pacquiao, Bradley, Alexander all go out soundly, pacquiao would be toughest of the 5 just off strength but we already know what happens to pacquiao against someone who can counter (marquez) and who can skeet-skoot (bradley).

there's my logic along with alittle simulation from Fight Night Champion....I don't think he would take the Trout fight, but its boxing and anything can happen.

Bernard Hopkins said before that Mayweather's defense was better than his, I like how Bhop is defying age and showing how brain trumps brawn. Marquez also should have motivated to show that age is no factor, as long as Mayweather takes care of his body and keeps working, i have no doubt his skills will pay his bills and then some..

huh.gif
mgrover
Did someone just compared May weathers power to be on par with Chavez Jr a most likely 190lb Chavez Jr...
Hotsauce
it depends how many times does he fight. if he's going to fufill his showtime contract, then no.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 24 2013, 09:12 PM) *
Did someone just compared May weathers power to be on par with Chavez Jr a most likely 190lb Chavez Jr...

I was thinking THE SAME DAMN THING! There is no comparison because of the weight advantage Chavez Jr. Had that night.....
Jovi
I wasn't comparing attributed strength. I was just stating that Mayweather would hit Martinez more than Chavez did in 12 rounds.
checkleft
QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 25 2013, 07:37 AM) *
I wasn't comparing attributed strength. I was just stating that Mayweather would hit Martinez more than Chavez did in 12 rounds.

Martinez has always gotten tagged. Idk why people think he's so slick, chavez barley landed on him the things he did land were just semi heavyweight lol. Mayweathers 10 times more accurately then anyone he's fought but that's far from the real question, once mayweather is hit can he take Martinez speed and power?
neophyte7
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 25 2013, 11:05 AM) *
Martinez has always gotten tagged. Idk why people think he's so slick, chavez barley landed on him the things he did land were just semi heavyweight lol. Mayweathers 10 times more accurately then anyone he's fought but that's far from the real question, once mayweather is hit can he take Martinez speed and power?

Floy'ds defense and agility will offset that his speed... Power? Martinez does not strilke me as such a powerful puncher The Paul Williams one shot deal spooked people.. Mayweather will not put himself in a position where is running into punches- like Pac did against Marquezzz--- Martinez Power will be negated as well.
checkleft
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 25 2013, 01:09 PM) *
Floy'ds defense and agility will offset that his speed... Power? Martinez does not strilke me as such a powerful puncher The Paul Williams one shot deal spooked people.. Mayweather will not put himself in a position where is running into punches- like Pac did against Marquezzz--- Martinez Power will be negated as well.

Forget the williams shot, cause Paul went in blind sort of how pac did. But didnt Martinez bust barkers ear drum? The same guy that fractured chavez face and busted and cut up pavlic and macklins face? I agree he probably doesn't have 1 punch ko power but he has some serious weight on his shots.

But as you mentioned (if Floyd is still in semi top shape) the question is whether he can land something meaningful on mayweather.
mgrover
QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 25 2013, 11:37 AM) *

Maybe, but Martinez wouldn't have to run for 11 out of those 12 rounds thanks to the weight advantage his opponent had. Martinez was literally exhausted by the end of that fight because he put everything he had into it. It's why he dominated 11/12 rounds.

How will Mayweather deal with a middleweight hitting him? He sure didn't like when Ortiz touched him and he weighed in close to 160 did he not? End of it all boxing isn't a game of top trumps so people should stop acting like it is.
daprofessor
i'll put it this way...

do u think showtime payed all that money for nothing? his demise is inevitable. he's not getting through six more fights without a loss. a close look at his last three fights should give anyone paying attention a good understanding. showtime has rolled the dice to be the network that floyd finally loses on. showtime has always been the home of the upset. there are a few guys out there now who can possibly beat him. guerrero is one of them.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 21 2013, 10:19 PM) *
Dudes like Floyd (and Hopkins) with the kind of defense and ring IQ he/they have will never get KO'd coldly and will be far too careful against dangerous foes to place themselves into a point where they cannot come back from once they get rocked.

Floyd has been rocked a couple of times, how did he react? He reacted with patience, intelligence and full awareness of what was going on and then he turned around and dominated, so did BHop (when rocked by Pascal).

I can't see why some seem to think that the competition matters as much, both fighters (Mayweather and Bernard) have done the same things consistently from fight to fight and yet no fighter has really been able to figure out a way to KO either of them, let alone totally dominate either man.

I think Floyd will walk away from this sport with an unblemished record regardless of who he faces because his defense and ring IQ is just on another level and fighters like this only tend to come around every 20 years or so much in the way that a Track Star like Bolt only seems to sprout up every blue Moon or so.

Floyd will go out as an undefeated fighter!

i take nothing away from either guy. bhop is the greatest of this era with floyd being a close second. the thing they have in common....both are self managed and are experts at picking the opposition they can beat. floyd is better at that. bhop has taken far more risks in his career though which is why he has a few losses. i think bhop has way more accomplishments even with his losses.

you spoke of track stars....edwin moses was notorious for skipping races he thought he might lose. floyd seems to be pretty good at retiring when the competition looks steep and coming back when the smoke clears. roger did an interview after floyd beat hatton that pretty much stated the game plan. they haven't invented anything new. ray leonard did the same thing late in his career.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 08:56 PM) *
i take nothing away from either guy. bhop is the greatest of this era with floyd being a close second. the thing they have in common....both are self managed and are experts at picking the opposition they can beat. floyd is better at that. bhop has taken far more risks in his career though which is why he has a few losses. i think bhop has way more accomplishments even with his losses.

you spoke of track stars....edwin moses was notorious for skipping races he thought he might lose. floyd seems to be pretty good at retiring when the competition looks steep and coming back when the smoke clears. roger did an interview after floyd beat hatton that pretty much stated the game plan. they haven't invented anything new. ray leonard did the same thing late in his career.

thats what I hated about Leonard, for the Hagler fight he said he waited till after the Mugabi fight because a part of Hagler stayed in the ring that night. Just such a snake.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 25 2013, 05:41 PM) *
thats what I hated about Leonard, for the Hagler fight he said he waited till after the Mugabi fight because a part of Hagler stayed in the ring that night. Just such a snake.

it wasn't just the hagler fight. he did the same for the duran rematch as well. he never wanted to prove he could beat the best duran or the best hagler...he wanted to have an upperhand. i guess it's an intelligent approach...but it does seem a bit cowardly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.