Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guerrero and God's Plan
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Gambit808
No matter what happens on May 4th, win or lose, Robert Guerrero seriously needs to STFU about this whole God's plan BS. I have no problem with him and his faith, and people are entitled to say what they feel, but It bothers me when this guy starts talking like he's Moses or something. For one, THIS IS A SPORT where 2 guys beat the hell out of each other for money, and everyone else watching either gambles or endorses it in some form or fashion through their influence. For two if he loses, it's not only gonna make him look foolish, but it would be embarrassing to see this guys claim of "God's Plan" prove false. This dude is fighting the wrong battle if he's gonna play this whole S.O.G. role. Why won't some of these reporters ask this man; What divine purpose does your victory serve to the world, that God himself would etch out a plan for you brutal beat up another man to gain such fortunes?

I like this guys fights, but this dude's claim to fame rubs me the wrong way the closer we get to fight night. FHC, Who do u want to be humbled more, Floyd or Guerrero?
mitukczuk
Man, i feel ya! When I was reading the article here on HP I was like "What the hell is that guy talking about?!".

I have no problem with his faith too, but with this attitude he might as well come door to door saying the good ol' and annyoing "Do you have a minute to talk about Jesus?". Milking the story of his wife is a bit off too...but that I understand, without it he wouldn't sell.
mgrover
What'd be worse is if he won urghh I have a feeling he will never stop going on about it and come out with shit like "god had his right hand on my shoulder the entire time" you know the stuff that'll make me never forgive Floyd for losing to this guy Lol. Am in a rock and a hard place
checkleft
I think berto and aydin knocked a few screws loose in his head, this motherfucker thinks he's a prophet now or something.

Like I said before, this shit sounds stupid as fuck! Let me get this right, you are a devout Christian talking about violently beating the shit out of people because you believe that's what Jesus put you on this earth for? Andre ward needs to tell his little brother to shut the fuck up, guerrero is making a joke out of Christian fighters. This guys seriously needs to just put this shit to rest. This dude needs to take notes from ward and quit emberrasing himself (a little to late for that tho I think).
Dolimite
"God sent me to humble Floyd Mayweather." This is the quote that bothers me the most. God doesn't need you or any man to humble someone else. And what Robert forgets is that Floyd also is a Christian. And matter of fact Floyd has never said that God sent him to beat up anyone. If anything he has said that something on the lines of "I hope we can both walk away from the fight from what we came with" something on those lines. After every fight he thanks God, so how does God pick you over another person that believes in Him? So if Robert loses and he is the one that is bleeding from nose to mouth what does that make God look like? I think Ghost needs to realize that Manny was also a believer and he even showed his "Bible" study on TV and look what happen to the Catholic ambassador to the Philippines! JMM is also a strong Catholic so was God more on the side of JMM than he was with Pac? Holyfield had scriptures written all over his trunks he still got beat, badly. Boxing though mentioned in the Bible is a sport between two men, luck and skill play tremendous parts, may the Lord be with you but no way can the Lord fight for you.
neophyte7
Yeah he should learn from Holyfield that just because you are JESUS FREAK who feels he is special will not prevent you from getting your ass kicked.. WHEN HE GETS HIS ASS KICKED he will learn
Gambit808
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 27 2013, 01:43 AM) *
Man, i feel ya! When I was reading the article here on HP I was like "What the hell is that guy talking about?!".

I have no problem with his faith too, but with this attitude he might as well come door to door saying the good ol' and annyoing "Do you have a minute to talk about Jesus?". Milking the story of his wife is a bit off too...but that I understand, without it he wouldn't sell.

Lol @ the door to door quote. His wife's story I get, but this whole running around like he's some sort of prophet just looks bad even if he does win. Don't want to sound like to much of a Mayweather fan but he also had a point when speaking about Andre Ward dubbing himself S.O.G.. This point pretty much goes for any sportsman that feels as though God favors them over there opponent or that they (in God's eyes) are more special.
Gambit808
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 27 2013, 07:39 AM) *
I think berto and aydin knocked a few screws loose in his head, this motherfucker thinks he's a prophet now or something.

Like I said before, this shit sounds stupid as fuck! Let me get this right, you are a devout Christian talking about violently beating the shit out of people because you believe that's what Jesus put you on this earth for? Andre ward needs to tell his little brother to shut the fuck up, guerrero is making a joke out of Christian fighters. This guys seriously needs to just put this shit to rest. This dude needs to take notes from ward and quit emberrasing himself (a little to late for that tho I think).

1+ Exactly
leonthegee
Its funny because Roberts dad is the total opposite. Hes talking prison and doing time. Blah blah blah, Floyd Sr this, Im 30 and 0 in the barrio. Im laughing my ass off personally. But hey we all know god sells tickets and if Guerrero can bring in the Cristian demographic then hey hes doing his part selling the fight. Im not surprized Showtime said this will be the most promoted fight in boxing history.
Cshel86
I'm not even sure how to take this one anymore. Robert's already shown us how much of a douche he can be, especially with his silly antics in the post-fight interview at the Berto fight.

I see a mental lapse happening in this fight, something like Ortiz's last two fights. Robert will come out strong, get frustrated if his plan doesn't pan out early, and we'll see him do something crazy...rather than just relaxing and regrouping.

For some odd reason, I still believe he can pull this off, but the whole religious approach that he's taking at the moment, is making me begin to think that he's looking for some type of leniency from the ref, judges, audience, etc...maybe he'll make a point of Floyd using his elbows...maybe that's what he look for a pass for.

Again, I liked when Robert was quiet in the build-up. No doubt that I like trash talk, but this whole religious "I'm trying to win you guys over" approach, is killing me. His dad is acting like the biggest heathen in the world...and it's VERY entertaining! LOL

Come out strong and poised Robert...let's leave this "religious fallback plan just in case I lose" method alone.
BrutUalBK
Boxing is like Gambling from the Lord's point of view and God doesn't condone Gambling which means he does not have HIS hands in one guy's pocket or the other (The Lord takes no sides). The Ghost should focus on his eternal salvation outside of the ring and not in it.

I prefer to see that RG is humbled because he doesn't seem to understand that no matter how powerful your faith is that God said HE causes the rain to fall on the unjust as well as the just. Floyd is going to beat this dude, he (Robert) stands too straight up and is too easy to hit (this will be his undoing).

Guerrero is thinking just because Berto used some generic shoulder roll and that he was able to get to him that he'll be able to do the same to Mayweather, how wrong he will be when it doesn't work out for him.
daprofessor
the lord geebus told the profit robert to humble money may. it's that simple. laugh.gif
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 27 2013, 03:15 PM) *
the lord geebus told the profit robert to humble money may. it's that simple. laugh.gif

That so has the ring of a Kirk Frank adlib lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Mar 27 2013, 04:04 PM) *
That so has the ring of a Kirk Frank adlib lol

checkleft
I still can't believe this guy, next thing you know he's gonna change his nickname to the holy ghost.
wolterb
pretty wacky stuff all around.
mrchitown
I think he uses the shit as a crutch and that's what I don't like. He uses his wife's cancer battle and the religious stuff as a crutch. Everybody got a story, his aint no different from mine, another boxer, or any other person breathing. We all go thru adversity, he acts like he's big shit now. The more he talks the more he actually seems to contradict himself. I believe he's genuine about both but he's definitely over saturating the market with those two situations..on the other hand he should because after May 4th, he's going back to obscurity
dre98
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 27 2013, 06:43 PM) *
I still can't believe this guy, next thing you know he's gonna change his nickname to the holy ghost.

rofl......too much. Thats funny as hell. Robert the Holy Ghost.
dre98
Robert's father latest video on Boxingscene is pure comedy. This fight build up is hilarious. There is nothing wrong with spreading the word of God to the masses but boxing isn't the forum of saying You was put on the earth to humble a person by beating them with your fist. If you gonna humble a person by spitting knowledge of God or something to that effect i understand. He taking it to another level.
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Mar 27 2013, 07:08 PM) *
Robert's father latest video on Boxingscene is pure comedy. This fight build up is hilarious. There is nothing wrong with spreading the word of God to the masses but boxing isn't the forum of saying You was put on the earth to humble a person by beating them with your fist. If you gonna humble a person by spitting knowledge of God or something to that effect i understand. He taking it to another level.

getting your ass beat can be a very humbling experience....so i've been told. laugh.gif
FinitoElDinamita
IT makes me cringe whenever somebody talk about god and shit. It's absolutely cringe worthy to the maximum.

Fuck Robert guerrero's punkass. I realized what a buster he is when he bitched out in a fight against Daud Yordan..
The Original MrFactor
Is it possible to have a Rocky II-like ending where both mofo's go down, 'cept both of these guys don't get up?
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 27 2013, 05:43 PM) *

LOL
scdrking2
Why didnt God tell him to stay in shape? He looked horrible a few weeks ago.
Cshel86
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 28 2013, 08:13 AM) *
Why didnt God tell him to stay in shape? He looked horrible a few weeks ago.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Post of the day!
Dolimite
Bottom line, when he is in the ring against another boxer, it is he in the ring with another man. Robert is crossing the line, remember when Ariza said that God couldn't even save JMM from the ass beating he was going to take from Pac? And look what happen (their 3rd fight). I think Guerrero is making it seem tha God only has favor with him. Mayweather's mom had cancer, he doesn't broadcast that. Most real men would leave their jobs to be home with their wife in that condition. What he did is what he was suppose to do. I'm glad she is better but do not pimp her story, let her talk about it. You were not the one who was sick. It was like Tim Tebow, you could of sworn he was the only Christian in the NFL the way the media carried his story. There are lots of believers in sports. The Bible also says, pray to me in your private room... Robert is sounding like God is his own personal God, and I guess this is what pisses me off. The same God that blessed your wife from her sickness is the same God who has blessed Mayweather throughout his life and the same God who has blessed you. God don't play favorites because if God did, Holyfield would never lost and Pac would had beat the shit out of JMM 4 times.
mitukczuk
And now the gun possession shit. What does he hunt with a handgun? Cheesburgers?
Gambit808
SMH When will these out of town celebrities learn about the gun laws in New York
Franchize
This answer is easy for me. Beyond the fact that I'm a fan of Mayweather, Guerrero talked his way into this fight. He's already ducked multiple fighters. He looked like he was in terrible shape during that photo shoot. Here it is, the biggest fight of your career, that you probably don't deserve, and you're physique looks like Al Bundy post Polk High Football. Then you get a gun charge in a city with some of the strongest guns laws in the country. Jackass.
sduck
Robert Guerrero is not mentally ready for this fight of this magnitude. He's been pursuing it, but it came sooner than he realized.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 28 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Robert Guerrero is not mentally ready for this fight of this magnitude. He's been pursuing it, but it came sooner than he realized.

I agree!! I saw evidence that he wasn't mentally ready for Floyd during their face off, he was talking but wasn't really saying nothing. Mayweather owned Guerrero in their face off and that was supposed to be the time when the challenger makes his boldest stand<<<Robert failed miserably though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 28 2013, 03:41 PM) *
This answer is easy for me. Beyond the fact that I'm a fan of Mayweather, Guerrero talked his way into this fight. He's already ducked multiple fighters. He looked like he was in terrible shape during that photo shoot. Here it is, the biggest fight of your career, that you probably don't deserve, and you're physique looks like Al Bundy post Polk High Football. Then you get a gun charge in a city with some of the strongest guns laws in the country. Jackass.

laugh.gif u know he once scored 3 touchdowns in a single game?
daprofessor
the lord and savior jeebus told the profit robert to take that gun on the plane to make a statement about the right to bear arms.
Franchize
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 28 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Looking back on things, I think he thought calling out Floyd would get him the consolation prize...Adrien Broner.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 27 2013, 08:21 PM) *
getting your ass beat can be a very humbling experience....so i've been told. laugh.gif

In that case you might be right...but I think that Gun Charge my do him in. I think it will be too much pressure now. NY is tough on them Gun laws if he has no priors he might be ok if he has a good attorney. I'm sure Golden Boy will look out for him.
Dolimite
David and Goliath! Fucking really? Goliath was attacking the Jews and basically killing everything in his sight! God hand picked David to beat Goliath, hand picked! And let's not forget that David according to Theologians was no more than 5'4 and Goliath was at least 6'2 which is pretty big to a 5'4 dude! And does GUNerro know that he is actually taller than Mayweather? This fucking guy is pissing me off by the minute!

http://www.boxingscene.com/guerrero-maywea...-goliath--63856
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 29 2013, 10:06 AM) *
David and Goliath! Fucking really? Goliath was attacking the Jews and basically killing everything in his sight! God hand picked David to beat Goliath, hand picked! And let's not forget that David according to Theologians was no more than 5'4 and Goliath was at least 6'2 which is pretty big to a 5'4 dude! And does GUNerro know that he is actually taller than Mayweather? This fucking guy is pissing me off by the minute!

Other than the biblical references and the stupid "I don't get involved in crazyness... I'm a family man" statement (bro you just got arrested on gun charges) I thought he gave a good interview.

The talk of him knowing that roughing up mayweather and fighting on the inside isn't easy and recognizing he will have to do something else to win some rounds is very intelligent of him. I honestly think a good jab to disrupt mayweathers timing is the key along with some pressure and activity in spurts. Let's face it since the castillo fight the only two people to make it sort of a fight with mayweather were cotto and odl and they did it with nice jabs. Either that or you have to be a physical freak like Judah for more than four rounds
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 29 2013, 09:06 AM) *

LOL, aside from the profanity (no judgment against you) I can agree with this. LOL, RG may have it backwards because he wasn't chosen by God, Floyd chose him as the opponent and like you said "Floyd is smaller". So just maybe Floyd could end up being David and RG is Goliath.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 29 2013, 09:06 AM) *

i said that before!!! laugh.gif i knew he had david in mind when he was talking all this religious stuff. floyd is the goliath financially and skill wise. guerrero is being genuine with all of this. this is not an act...it's not mind games. he truly believes this. never underestimate the power of faith.

a lot of what robert was saying is on point. but what stuck out most to me in that article is paulie malignaggi's take on this fight. guerrero is going to make this floyds hardest victory to date....if floyd gets the victory.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 29 2013, 09:30 AM) *
Other than the biblical references and the stupid "I don't get involved in crazyness... I'm a family man" statement (bro you just got arrested on gun charges) I thought he gave a good interview.

The talk of him knowing that roughing up mayweather and fighting on the inside isn't easy and recognizing he will have to do something else to win some rounds is very intelligent of him. I honestly think a good jab to disrupt mayweathers timing is the key along with some pressure and activity in spurts. Let's face it since the castillo fight the only two people to make it sort of a fight with mayweather were cotto and odl and they did it with nice jabs. Either that or you have to be a physical freak like Judah for more than four rounds

i thought the biblical references were on point. let's not act like he walked into a strip club with the strap in his waist. he walked into an airport....with it in a lock box in his luggage and informed them, before they found it, that he had it.

this has all been blown out of proportion in my opinion...and it's only added to the publicity of the fight. i'm starting to get the feeling that this fight may do some amazing numbers, especially with guerrero's christian appeal. laugh.gif i believe he's being genuine and honest...and there will be plenty of zealots who will tune in to see this. never underestimate the power of people with faith (misdirected or not) in large numbers. i'm looking forward to this fight more than ever now.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 01:31 PM) *
i said that before!!! laugh.gif i knew he had david in mind when he was talking all this religious stuff. floyd is the goliath financially and skill wise. guerrero is being genuine with all of this. this is not an act...it's not mind games. he truly believes this. never underestimate the power of faith.

a lot of what robert was saying is on point. but what stuck out most to me in that article is [b]paulie malignaggi's take on this fight[/b]. guerrero is going to make this floyds hardest victory to date....if floyd gets the victory.

Yeah, I liked the way PM broke down this fight. I do believe that RG will be a tough opponent and his father said that they are studying tape pinpointing all of Floyd's weaknesses but sometimes when you tend to focus on someone else's weakness you tend to overlook those of your own.

I believe that RG's defense (having a great offense) will fail him because he will take too many shots and it will be clear that FMJr is ahead thus placing RG in a position where he is going to need a KO to win against the best defense in boxing we've seen since PW.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 29 2013, 02:01 PM) *
Yeah, I liked the way PM broke down this fight. I do believe that RG will be a tough opponent and his father said that they are studying tape pinpointing all of Floyd's weaknesses but sometimes when you tend to focus on someone else's weakness you tend to overlook those of your own.

I believe that RG's defense (having a great offense) will fail him because he will take too many shots and it will be clear that FMJr is ahead thus placing RG in a position where he is going to need a KO to win against the best defense in boxing we've seen since PW.

robert's been studying him since the amateurs. there's nothing new they're going to learn in the tapes. robert has all the ingredients he needs. the important thing for him to remember is when floyd shuts down one of his weapons...he should switch to another. i think he should also consider being a little more defensive after his assaults because of floyds counter punching. cotto took a lot away from floyd by not being there for the counter punches. it was the most floyd had ever missed in his career. make no mistake about it...floyd is on the decline. guerrero is very dangerous.
scdrking2
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 02:16 PM) *
robert's been studying him since the amateurs. there's nothing new they're going to learn in the tapes. robert has all the ingredients he needs. the important thing for him to remember is when floyd shuts down one of his weapons...he should switch to another. i think he should also consider being a little more defensive after his assaults because of floyds counter punching. cotto took a lot away from floyd by not being there for the counter punches. it was the most floyd had ever missed in his career. make no mistake about it...floyd is on the decline. guerrero is very dangerous.

Problem is, you are asking RG to limit his offense and think in the ring. Things which work to FMJ's advantage. RG's defense is his offense and Floyd has infinite more knowledge and adjust on the fly during the fight. Limited head movement and his feet get out of position periodically during flurries, so he better not miss, which we know he will.
scdrking2
I am a follower of Christ. One thing reading the Word of God has taught me is that I am a piece of walking shit. The scripture should indict us in reading how far we are from living true to the word and compel us to be humble in our faith. We speak the Word of God boldly and witness before men, not because of our own righteousness, but the truth in the scripture. If we had no sin and our faith made us worthy, no Christian boxer should ever have lost to Ali.

Is 65:5Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 29 2013, 03:34 PM) *
I am a follower of Christ. One thing reading the Word of God has taught me is that I am a piece of walking shit. The scripture should indict us in reading how far we are from living true to the word and compel us to be humble in our faith. We speak the Word of God boldly and witness before men, not because of our own righteousness, but the truth in the scripture. If we had no sin and our faith made us worthy, no Christian boxer should ever have lost to Ali.

Is 65:5Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

See this is where we need to be careful when we call ourselves Christian and Followers of Christ, not saying that RG curses or uses profanity but when you walk that line of passing judgment on others then you are not walking in Christ which is where the line gets blurred and people no longer see you as Christian but see you only as they are but yet just another hypocrite:

(in reference to using profanity) Ephesians 4:29 tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." First Peter 3:10 declares, "For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." James 3:9-12 summarizes the issue: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

mgrover
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 29 2013, 08:26 PM) *
Problem is, you are asking RG to limit his offense and think in the ring. Things which work to FMJ's advantage. RG's defense is his offense and Floyd has infinite more knowledge and adjust on the fly during the fight. Limited head movement and his feet get out of position periodically during flurries, so he better not miss, which we know he will.

Your talking as if nobody in the world is smarter than Mayweather. Just like brawn has limit, so does brains.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2013, 11:31 AM) *

a lot of what robert was saying is on point. but what stuck out most to me in that article is paulie malignaggi's take on this fight. guerrero is going to make this floyds hardest victory to date....if floyd gets the victory.

Professor I am a believer I am, but the story with David is that God hand picked him. hand picked him! And guess what God even told David what to use to defeat Goliath. I understand what he was saying but he carries a gun from state to state and he wants to say a statement like he doesn't get involved in all the craziness, WHAT! A walking contradiction.
daprofessor
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 29 2013, 03:26 PM) *

not really...all he needs to do is move his head at the end of every combination he throws and pull them hands back to the home position. he's going to get hit/countered...but at least limit it.

one thing i will say....robert in the trenches is far better than shane, ortiz and cotto put together at this point. robert is going to take it to the trenches and he will land on floyd much more than floyd is used to. he's going to make floyd work for this win harder than he's had to work for any other.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 29 2013, 05:07 PM) *
See this is where we need to be careful when we call ourselves Christian and Followers of Christ, not saying that RG curses or uses profanity but when you walk that line of passing judgment on others then you are not walking in Christ which is where the line gets blurred and people no longer see you as Christian but see you only as they are but yet just another hypocrite:

(in reference to using profanity) Ephesians 4:29 tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." First Peter 3:10 declares, "For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." James 3:9-12 summarizes the issue: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

the bible contradicts itself in so many ways....this is why there are so many different interpretations of it. this is why there are so many different churches that call themselves followers of christ. who's following the new testament? who's following the old? is that the kings james version? etc..etc...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 29 2013, 06:55 PM) *
Professor I am a believer I am, but the story with David is that God hand picked him. hand picked him! And guess what God even told David what to use to defeat Goliath. I understand what he was saying but he carries a gun from state to state and he wants to say a statement like he doesn't get involved in all the craziness, WHAT! A walking contradiction.

again...the bible itself is filled with contradictions. so it's followers are not allowed to contradict themselves?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.