Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10:15PM(ET)/7:15(PT) Rios vs. Alverado II-SPOILERS
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mrchitown
I'm glad they didn't rob him, Alvarado deserved it...get ready for the trilogy guys laugh.gif
Cshel86
That 115-113 always spells "Oh shit", but in this one, I can actually see it being that.

I dont know what to think about that 114-113 though...

A rubber match is already being called....as I mentioned earlier this week. Had Pac/JMM not been in the works (which it STILL is, regardless of reports), then Rios would've been given this decision. NOW, Arum can make money off of this rubber match AND money off of JMM/Pac.

laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2013, 11:16 PM) *
That 115-113 always spells "Oh shit", but in this one, I can actually see it being that.

I dont know what to think about that 114-113 though...

A rubber match is already being called....as I mentioned earlier this week. Had Pac/JMM not been in the works (which it STILL is, regardless of reports), then Rios would've been given this decision. NOW, Arum can make money off of this rubber match AND money off of JMM/Pac.

laugh.gif

Aint that a bitch lol

And Rios goin HAM in there. He turnt up for real, they bout to start number 3 right now
The Original MrFactor
That post fight elevates my point even more. Rios is on something...
Cshel86
Yep...Brandon's on something. Not PEDs, but something along the line of PCP or some shit.

This dude is too amped and belligerent.

"I want #3, where Bob Arum at?" laugh.gif

That shit reminds me of that wrestler Ernest "The Cat" Johnson, who used to go tha fuck off in the ring, and say, "Somebody better call my mama!"
JammyJam
That mafucka brandon rios is hilarious
mrchitown
Rios gets his ass whooped and starts talking clear...WTH is going on??? laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 30 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Rios is on something...

All of that energy from Rios after the match...Brandon 'white lines' Rios?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 31 2013, 12:21 AM) *
Yep...Brandon's on something. Not PEDs, but something along the line of PCP or some shit.

This dude is too amped and belligerent.

"I want #3, where Bob Arum at?" laugh.gif

That shit reminds me of that wrestler Ernest "The Cat" Johnson, who used to go tha fuck off in the ring, and say, "Somebody better call my mama!"

For real.
BrutUalBK
I thought I was calling the rounds as fair as I could and I still couldn't see a 115-113 and especially a 114-113. How did I do guys? Do you think I was fair??
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 31 2013, 12:23 AM) *
I thought I was calling the rounds as fair as I could and I still couldn't see a 115-113 and especially a 114-113. How did I do guys? Do you think I was fair??

115-113 maybe...but not 114-113.

Im buzzed, so I need to go back and watch it again.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 31 2013, 12:22 AM) *
All of that energy from Rios after the match...Brandon 'white lines' Rios?

Wouldnt be shocked...
The Original MrFactor
How likely is it that Rios fails a post fight drug test.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 31 2013, 12:23 AM) *

No complaints here.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2013, 11:05 PM) *
What's your Mavis Beacon score???

You type fast and accurate as shit!

laugh.gif

lol, i was actually typing it while watching it with my wife while we were jaw jacking about the fight and who we thought won it.
kidbazooka1
Wow f*cling brutal both these guys are some muthaf*cores. Mike took it tho he was just tad bit smarter but u could tell food was pissed he was ready to go again.
Jack 1000
What a fucking great fight! A little more controlled and strategic than #1. Had it 8-3-1 for Alverado, with a close, and sort of sympathetic Rios tried to come on, even 10th round, but this was definitive. Those cards at 114-113 were far too close. The best Rios gets in this fight is a 116-112 loss. Alverado did better by boxing and moving than the first fight. But he and Brandon both brawled as well! This is exactly what boxing needs! Action fights, and fighters fighting often. not this once a year shit!

Jack
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 31 2013, 12:22 AM) *
Rios gets his ass whooped and starts talking clear...WTH is going on??? laugh.gif

Hahaha I wasn't the only one that noticed.

I liked this fight better than the first, both guys actually showed some skill. Some improves defence by rios and improved movement and offense by mike. I think him switching to southpaw kept throwing brandon off stride and the movement seemed to wear him down. Maybe those 20 pounds overnight took their toll on rios (even tho mike wasn't far behind in weight either)
Jack 1000
Help me out guys,

How did that one judge get 114-113 for Alverado? I need anyone to calculate his rounds breakdown. Consider:

1.) There were no knockdowns or presumably no 10-8 rounds scored.
2.) A 6-6 in rounds is 114-114.
3.) There were no point deductions

What combo gets you to that card?

Jack
Dolimite
My take on Last night's fight:

Commentators: Since HBO Cheerleaders did not have a favorite in this fight they actually did a decent job at commentating. They actually were quiet on for a few seconds to actually watch the action. They did not cheer or show favoritism in any of the fights. Maybe that is what needs to happen for here on out, they do not announce fights that they have a personal favorite in. Roy Jones is definitely losing it. One second he knew Adrien Broner's name and the next minute he was like "whatchmacall it that fighter, whatever his name is" I was like dude you just said his name. It was funny. Kellermen was wishing that Prescott would find this magical punch to put Crawford on his ass and the same with Rios and Alverado. I really do not like Kellermen. Over all they were okay. Doniare is going to get his ass handed to him, sorry.

Fans: Ignorant bastards! How do you boo Crawford and the Prescott fight! That was boxing at it finest! The kid totally took away Prescott's strength by displaying boxing skills great head movement, foot work, and a JAB! His defense lead his offense, Terrance took the fight with five days notice came up in weight and performed beautifully! How do you boo that? This is how I know people really do not know shit about boxing.

Crawford/Prescott: Great fight. This Crawford kid is going to be good. He handle himself very well in the ring with a big puncher and a experienced fighter. Prescott was taken to school and was out of the fight mentally by the 3rd round. When he saw that he could not impose his will on Crawford, Game. Set. Match. Crawford displayed a great technical skills. I always have said boxers beat brawlers all day. Crawford showed great maturity and to be honest he out performed everyone that night. His ring generalship was amazing and the fact that he had the jab working all night and setting up his big shots, this kid has talent. He will do well, except he has to get rid of Arum. I do not think he is ready for Broner, so please put that to rest, Two or three more fights with top contenders then maybe. He should move up to 140, I think he could give guys big issues in the weight class.

Rios/Alverado: Rios gassed out and could not deal with Alverado's limited foot movement. Alverado listened to his corner and kept his game plan. he was going to slug it out but realized that he could box this guy and use a simple jab to disrupt his timing. Rios took some hard shots and Alverado kept his composure. He used his wrestling background to get Rios off of him. Good fight, Rios fought one dimensional while Alverado changed up his game plan and started boxing instead of hitting home run shots. It was great to see Gernardo Hernandez's brother working the corner. These guys will do a trilogy but I think Mike will win because he can adjust where Rios just comes forward and tries to knock the guy's head off. The post fight interview Rios could of shown a little more class and let Mike has his moment to shine and too be honest Rios can't demand shit from Mike. I actually agreed with Letterman's card for the first time in my life... strange.

Ruslan and Bradley still FOYT in my opinion.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 31 2013, 09:27 AM) *

Fans: Ignorant bastards! How do you boo Crawford and the Prescott fight! That was boxing at it finest! The kid totally took away Prescott's strength by displaying boxing skills great head movement, foot work, and a JAB! His defense lead his offense, Terrance took the fight with five days notice came up in weight and performed beautifully! How do you boo that? This is how I know people really do not know shit about boxing.

Indeed.
scdrking2
This fight will end in a similar fashion next time or Rios gets knocked out. He wont be able to solve the movement and boxing ofAlverado and Alverado will be even more confident in that approach. Rios wins wars and as long as there is no slugfest, Rios probably wont win. My caveat is a knockout. He has that chance, as it was obvious he hurt him in the 2nd ( I think) with a hard jab. I hope Alvarado gives his face time to heal. His eye cuts looked pretty open.
Franchize
Had to watch the replay. My ole lady wasn't feeling well last night. As expected, it was an absolute war. Alvarado edged Rios because he controlled the distance. It was fun to watch but *sigh* I hate to be a "debbie downer" or "hater" but I'm getting exhausted of these kinds of fights. This is all HBO and Top Prank seem to be good for now. Slugfest. Arum licking his chops, raking in cash off of guys who will sell tickets but have ZERO longevity. All this is doing is making him richer. Guys build up their name, beat each other to a bloody pulp, and are washed up or have too many losses to force Arum to dig in his pockets and pay him handsomely. Fights like these are PERFECT for Arum. He gets a Gatti/Ward type anticipation and buzz which in turn generates money. However, none of his fighters will achieve the longevity of a Hopkins or Mayweather to force him to pay them big money. Rios probably won't ever yield over 10 million for a fight. All his fighters are good enough to produce a blockbuster but not skilled enough to last.

Ultimately, I'm tired of having to wait on Floyd, Andre, B-Hop, Chad, Adrien etc to fight just to see some defense and boxing skill. That young man Crawford gave Prescott a boxing tutorial and got nothing but boos. WTF? Now I think Crawford thwarted some of his offense switching to south paw because he was out of reach to land power punches a lot of time. That said, he used the ring beautifully, he stabbed Prescott in the face with the jab, he showed tremendous composure (as opposed to Prescott who unraveled), he slipped punches and countered nicely. It's just a damn shame that one of the main criteria boxing is officially judged, ring generalship, is frowned upon in this sport. It's like watching the X Games and complaining about anything that's not a backflip.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 31 2013, 11:09 AM) *
This fight will end in a similar fashion next time or Rios gets knocked out. He wont be able to solve the movement and boxing ofAlverado and Alverado will be even more confident in that approach. Rios wins wars and as long as there is no slugfest, Rios probably wont win. My caveat is a knockout. He has that chance, as it was obvious he hurt him in the 2nd ( I think) with a hard jab. I hope Alvarado gives his face time to heal. His eye cuts looked pretty open.

It's a pick em in the trilogy. The conventional wisdom is that if Alverado boxes he wins, and that Rios can't box so he will be looking to take his head off. The scorecards were too close (two of them at only 114-113 and 115-113 for Alverado, which means that we were only a round away from a draw or even a Rios win, and that would have been criminal.)

Does Arum still see Rios as more of a star than Alverado? Alverado also took pages from the Richar Abril manual on how to beat Rios, along with several war moments.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:07 PM) *
It's a pick em in the trilogy. The conventional wisdom is that if Alverado boxes he wins, and that Rios can't box so he will be looking to take his head off. The scorecards were too close (two of them at only 114-113 and 115-113 for Alverado, which means that we were only a round away from a draw or even a Rios win, and that would have been criminal.)

Does Arum still see Rios as more of a star than Alverado? Alverado also took pages from the Richar Abril manual on how to beat Rios, along with several war moments.

Jack

Scoresheet here:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/alvarado-r...analysis-182663

One judge gave Rios a 10-8 round in the second.

Jack
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:21 PM) *
Scoresheet here:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/alvarado-r...analysis-182663

Jack

Incredible!! I wonder why he didn't give Alvo a 10-8 round in the 3rd when he rocked Rios and dominated him the entire round placing him on Queer Street. IMO they were trying to make that fight look closer than it really was, I scored it here in the RBR and I clearly had Alvo ahead by more than 2 rounds.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 31 2013, 02:21 PM) *

That's about to be another BIG problem in the sport. Boxing media have long clamored for these types of fights, but now that we get them, they will start scoring these imaginary bullshit 10-8 rounds, just because a guy is hurt.

Again, we have to stop getting so caught up in the moment of anticipating knockdowns, that we start counting 10-8 rounds that aren't even there. It happened in the Bradley/Ruslan fight and it happened in Rios/Alvarado II.

It's bad enough that we have horrible scoring in these fights, but the last thing we need is "experts" and novice boxing viewers arguing about what should've been a 10-8 round, let alone, putting in the head of others to think the same.

Lampley almost argued down dipshit Weisfield (I believe that's his name), because he didn't count rounds 1 and 2 of Bradley/Ruslan as 10-8 rounds. I was like, "Damn, this is what THIS guy saw with his own two eyes, why in the hell are you trying to make him score these rounds as 10-8 rounds? For an agenda's purpose?"
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 31 2013, 02:56 AM) *
Hahaha I wasn't the only one that noticed.

I liked this fight better than the first, both guys actually showed some skill. Some improves defence by rios and improved movement and offense by mike. I think him switching to southpaw kept throwing brandon off stride and the movement seemed to wear him down. Maybe those 20 pounds overnight took their toll on rios (even tho mike wasn't far behind in weight either)

Nah you wasn't the only one that noticed lol....and I knew Rios had weight problems as far as making weight but I didn't know he was that big. He came into the fight weighting 161
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 1 2013, 03:19 AM) *
Nah you wasn't the only one that noticed lol....and I knew Rios had weight problems as far as making weight but I didn't know he was that big. He came into the fight weighting 161

And just to think, at 135, this dude used to come in at about 157. I specifically remember him coming into the A. Peterson fight at 157 lbs. Rios is a BIG dude.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2013, 08:16 PM) *
Man, after what Teddy Atlas said last night, I almost changed my prediction of Alvarado by close decision.

Anyhow, he made a great point about Alvarado and his "boxing" skills in the first fight. He made note that Alvarado actually got hurt when he was "boxing". Hmmm....SHIT! That almost killed my prediction, lol.

With that in mind, I'll be a man and let my sack drop, and hold true to my prediction. Reason? IF and only IF Alvarado makes the adjustment that his corner begged for in the first fight, to move to his left after letting off his combinations, then he may have that close decision success that Im predicting.

Alvarado by close decision, with some hard rounds that he creates for himself. I believe it will get hard for him around the 3rd or 4th.

*For some strange reason, I think we'll see Rios on the canvas tonight. Hmm...who knows, maybe it's these margaritas talking to me. cool.gif

you're on a roll lately. good shit!
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 30 2013, 09:58 PM) *
why is it always, brawler KOs a few people, comes up against a solid boxer, gets dominated, I mean can't they learn to slip the motherfucking jab/

it's not that simple. it's about positioning...stance....timing....and a few other things. prescott is a guy that usually throws a lot more punches. crawford took so many things away from him and made him look like a harmless kitten.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Plah @ Mar 30 2013, 10:09 PM) *
Finally a good answer by Nonito.

he's changed his tune since the 'he's not worthy' bullshit. he and robert garcia know rigondeaux is no joke. i can't wait for this fight!!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2013, 10:11 PM) *
That's what I was looking for here, lol.

I'm a bit against Donaire/Rigo. Let's be honest, Rigo has what, under 12 fights?! Now, had he had about 20 fights or so, then I wouldn't say anything about it, but damn.

I still know that Donaire will stop Rigo, but sheesh, Rigo should've been fighting once a month, just for this shot.

PS: Why does it sound like RJJ is reading to some kids on Reading Rainbow during this fight plan?

laugh.gif i actually liked that breakdown by roy. that's something new...and it looks good. it will sound good if roy can do it more naturally.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 30 2013, 10:25 PM) *
am disappointed there's no shoulder roll :/

imitation is the highest form of flattery. props to alvarado and berto for giving us their best impression of floyd. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 30 2013, 10:50 PM) *
...and leaning so far forward.

bingo!!!! i don't get out something so simple can be missed by so many. sit on that back foot a little and it changes the game.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 30 2013, 10:56 PM) *
Alvarado buzzed him again! I don't understand why he doesn't go to the body after he hurts Rios, I don't give a damn how tough Brandon is supposed to be, if your hurt, those body shots will put the finishing touches on any figher

same thing i was screaming for.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 30 2013, 11:23 PM) *

i had it 8-4 for alvarado.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 31 2013, 08:27 AM) *

Commentators: Since HBO Cheerleaders did not have a favorite in this fight they actually did a decent job at commentating. They actually were quiet on for a few seconds to actually watch the action. They did not cheer or show favoritism in any of the fights. Maybe that is what needs to happen for here on out, they do not announce fights that they have a personal favorite in. Roy Jones is definitely losing it. One second he knew Adrien Broner's name and the next minute he was like "whatchmacall it that fighter, whatever his name is" I was like dude you just said his name. It was funny. Kellermen was wishing that Prescott would find this magical punch to put Crawford on his ass and the same with Rios and Alverado. I really do not like Kellermen. Over all they were okay. Doniare is going to get his ass handed to him, sorry.

Crawford/Prescott: Great fight. This Crawford kid is going to be good. He handle himself very well in the ring with a big puncher and a experienced fighter. Prescott was taken to school and was out of the fight mentally by the 3rd round. When he saw that he could not impose his will on Crawford, Game. Set. Match. Crawford displayed a great technical skills. I always have said boxers beat brawlers all day. Crawford showed great maturity and to be honest he out performed everyone that night. His ring generalship was amazing and the fact that he had the jab working all night and setting up his big shots, this kid has talent. He will do well, except he has to get rid of Arum. I do not think he is ready for Broner, so please put that to rest, Two or three more fights with top contenders then maybe. He should move up to 140, I think he could give guys big issues in the weight class.

Rios/Alverado: Rios gassed out and could not deal with Alverado's limited foot movement. Alverado listened to his corner and kept his game plan. he was going to slug it out but realized that he could box this guy and use a simple jab to disrupt his timing. Rios took some hard shots and Alverado kept his composure. He used his wrestling background to get Rios off of him. Good fight, Rios fought one dimensional while Alverado changed up his game plan and started boxing instead of hitting home run shots. It was great to see Gernardo Hernandez's brother working the corner. These guys will do a trilogy but I think Mike will win because he can adjust where Rios just comes forward and tries to knock the guy's head off. The post fight interview Rios could of shown a little more class and let Mike has his moment to shine and too be honest Rios can't demand shit from Mike. I actually agreed with Letterman's card for the first time in my life... strange.

Ruslan and Bradley still FOYT in my opinion.

good take on the evening. totally agree with this entire post.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 31 2013, 08:09 PM) *
That's about to be another BIG problem in the sport. Boxing media have long clamored for these types of fights, but now that we get them, they will start scoring these imaginary bullshit 10-8 rounds, just because a guy is hurt.

Again, we have to stop getting so caught up in the moment of anticipating knockdowns, that we start counting 10-8 rounds that aren't even there. It happened in the Bradley/Ruslan fight and it happened in Rios/Alvarado II.

It's bad enough that we have horrible scoring in these fights, but the last thing we need is "experts" and novice boxing viewers arguing about what should've been a 10-8 round, let alone, putting in the head of others to think the same.

Lampley almost argued down dipshit Weisfield (I believe that's his name), because he didn't count rounds 1 and 2 of Bradley/Ruslan as 10-8 rounds. I was like, "Damn, this is what THIS guy saw with his own two eyes, why in the hell are you trying to make him score these rounds as 10-8 rounds? For an agenda's purpose?"

seriously...these ass clowns should just call the fight and stop trying to force their agenda on the viewers. kellerman is the worst with his..."i ask myself who would i have rather been that round?" wtf kind of bullshit is that!?
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 07:38 PM) *
it's not that simple. it's about positioning...stance....timing....and a few other things. prescott is a guy that usually throws a lot more punches. crawford took so many things away from him and made him look like a harmless kitten.

maybe but if a guy is constantly throwing jabs at you you'd think to learn to slip it at some point in your career, I remember my coach, he was like slip the jab damn it, till I finally learnt to slip it atleast, imagine if a professional boxer who brawls could slip it and throw a left hook. I think that'd be someone worth while fighting.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 1 2013, 03:46 PM) *
maybe but if a guy is constantly throwing jabs at you you'd think to learn to slip it at some point in your career, I remember my coach, he was like slip the jab damn it, till I finally learnt to slip it atleast, imagine if a professional boxer who brawls could slip it and throw a left hook. I think that'd be someone worth while fighting.

don't get me wrong...i value head movement. slipping to me is the best form of defense because it leaves your opponent totally vulnerable to counter punches. most mexican coaches i know do NOT like head movement. they believe it leaves you vulnerable to body punches. i thought that was the craziest thing i ever heard to be honest. different strokes for different folks i guess.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 1 2013, 03:19 AM) *

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 1 2013, 09:15 AM) *
And just to think, at 135, this dude used to come in at about 157. I specifically remember him coming into the A. Peterson fight at 157 lbs. Rios is a BIG dude.

Alvarado wasn't far behind either dude came in at 158 I think, this rehydrating shit is getting ridiculous. Motherfuckers would have been middleweights back in the day.
Cshel86
Still laughing at how Alvarado was getting buckled in the 2nd round. laugh.gif

Totally unnecessary
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 2 2013, 01:50 AM) *
don't get me wrong...i value head movement. slipping to me is the best form of defense because it leaves your opponent totally vulnerable to counter punches. most mexican coaches i know do NOT like head movement. they believe it leaves you vulnerable to body punches. i thought that was the craziest thing i ever heard to be honest. different strokes for different folks i guess.

I always thought it left people more exposed to the right hand if the counter punch isn't fast enough but you could always slip the outside to avoid that
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 02:52 PM) *
I always thought it left people more exposed to the right hand if the counter punch isn't fast enough but you could always slip the outside to avoid that

the best slipping is done to the outside to avoid the counters. slipping to the inside can be deadly. trinidad used to slip a jab to the inside and counter with the hook. very dangerous.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 2 2013, 11:21 PM) *
the best slipping is done to the outside to avoid the counters. slipping to the inside can be deadly. trinidad used to slip a jab to the inside and counter with the hook. very dangerous.

It pays off I think especially for perfectly exposed chin. As long as your opponent doesn't realise your slipping on the inside every single time and eat a right hand counter
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 03:52 PM) *

I've never heard of someone being taught to slip inside, most fighters do that on their own. But that's a big mistake, its always slip to the outside of their elbow.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 3 2013, 12:43 PM) *
I've never heard of someone being taught to slip inside, most fighters do that on their own. But that's a big mistake, its always slip to the outside of their elbow.

trinidad had the slip to the inside timed perfect when he dropped vargas in the beginning of their fight. if done perfectly....it pays off.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 3 2013, 07:17 PM) *
trinidad had the slip to the inside timed perfect when he dropped vargas in the beginning of their fight. if done perfectly....it pays off.

Really does, it's one of those people don't see
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.