Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terence Crawford vs Broner
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
neophyte7
This guy showed some serious boxing and punching ability... He also is no nonsense. his defense is better than Broner's ... This guy will make noise. Donaire tweeted and compared him to Pernell Whitaker... The guys seems to be the total package. I would love to see him and Broner go at it.
mrchitown
Who promotes him? If it's TR then fuck it, I could care less. But he looked good tonight against Prescott, he dominated that fight and I was impressed by him
neophyte7
I don't know who is promoting him but after he pounded Prescott, I saw Arum leap from his seat into his ear in his corner--- I could tell Prescott wanted to go for the stoppage but was cautious a bit.. testing the waters coming up and banged pretty good. Also took a few good stiff shots on the jaw and came right back. I bet he would give Broner all he could handle aside from his difficulties he will have with Malignaggi
checkleft
Although it was against Prescott, this kid was slick! Bad ass performance, don't know if it would be the same against broner, broner Is much more accurate then Prescott and he is probably faster than Crawford. But this kid is gonna do damage if tonight was a indicator of what he can continue to do
Dolimite
Bob the slob Arum is his promoter. The moment Crawford won the old asshole was hugging him and congratulating him so a Broner fight isn't happening plus it is way too soon for that fight plus Broner is a welter weight. I would love Crawford to stay at 140. Now a match with he and Swift or Peterson would be damn interesting!
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 31 2013, 04:01 AM) *
Although it was against Prescott, this kid was slick! Bad ass performance, don't know if it would be the same against broner, broner Is much more accurate then Prescott and he is probably faster than Crawford. But this kid is gonna do damage if tonight was a indicator of what he can continue to do

I was thoroughly impressed by his abiliTY on 5 days notice. I look forward to seeing him fight again for sure.
Franchize
I don't want to see this fight on HBO. They will suck the life out of this fight and make it so miserable to watch. Not to mention, they probably won't even promote it well.
Cshel86
I thought the Prescott fight was going to be too much for him. He proved me wrong, but a Broner fight would be waaaaay too much for him. Let's not put too much stock in him this early...if we want him around for a while.
neophyte7
waaaayyyy too much.I disagree..Broner was being tagged by the last MIDGET HE FOUGHT-- Broner is being hyped a bit and I don't think he has fought anyone that could do him any damage. After Malignaggi boxes his ears off people will see and will be talking of going down to 140-- Broner I feel is in for an awakening as he enters the 147 pound waters.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 31 2013, 03:01 AM) *

I think he's faster than Broner in leg/footspeed but AB's hands appear to be faster and yes, he will be a threat to any fighter at 140.
Cshel86
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 1 2013, 10:20 AM) *
waaaayyyy too much.I disagree..Broner was being tagged by the last MIDGET HE FOUGHT-- Broner is being hyped a bit and I don't think he has fought anyone that could do him any damage. After Malignaggi boxes his ears off people will see and will be talking of going down to 140-- Broner I feel is in for an awakening as he enters the 147 pound waters.

Disagree if you will, no problem there.

Boxing fans just do the most at times. This untested guy beat Prescott for the love of God, and suddenly he'll be able to hang with Broner? Hopefully this thread was opened, JUST for the sake of opening a thread, because the matchup is just too far-fetched.

I dont agree with people putting that much stock into Broner either, and as much as I cant stand Broner, he beats Crawford six days out of the week and twice on Sunday. The kid has great lateral movement and a great jab, but let's face it, Broner can get to him quicker than the million times that Prescott attempted and failed at.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 1 2013, 01:04 PM) *
Disagree if you will, no problem there.

Boxing fans just do the most at times. This untested guy beat Prescott for the love of God, and suddenly he'll be able to hang with Broner? Hopefully this thread was opened, JUST for the sake of opening a thread, because the matchup is just too far-fetched.

I dont agree with people putting that much stock into Broner either, and as much as I cant stand Broner, he beats Crawford six days out of the week and twice on Sunday. The kid has great lateral movement and a great jab, but let's face it, Broner can get to him quicker than the million times that Prescott attempted and failed at.

What makes you so sure... he would beat him six days out of the week... Based on what? I could see if Broner has been beating up on serious competition but he has not still is a ? This thread was started because Broner has been branded the truth and the future, yet he has fought no one. I have seen Broner and he is damned good, but I was more impressed with this guy's overall skill set. he showed a variety of punches and took some good whacks to the jaw from a heavy handed guy above him in weight-- Impressive- in some ways more impressive that what Broner has been doing- especially fighting on less than one week;s notice I am just not as sold on Broner as many are and I think 147 will be a wakeup call for him-- often the media builds a guy up into where even knowledgeable people by into the hype-- Broner until he beats legit people is HYPE-- and there is nothing wrong with speculating on how he would fare against anyone- he is still a baby in the game... This guy Crawford seems to be every bit as talented and even better defensively--
daprofessor
this crawford kid was the pleasant surprise of the evening. i thought i was going to be watching rock 'em sock 'em robots. i had no idea he was fighting and when i sat down to watch...i was immediately impressed. i heard of him...but never actually saw him fight. the fact that he took this fight on 5 days notice and moved up a weight class against such a dangerous opponent speaks volumes about his and his teams confidence. i will admit that i am disappointed he is with top rank because he'll be the b-side to much less skillful guys like he was on that card simply because arum doesn't know how to promote him. he'll be appreciated by much more intelligent boxing fans. i enjoyed his fight much more than the rios/alvarado fight. watching them...it was almost frustrating to see them take some many unnecessary punches and very little adjustment. my head hurt by the 2nd round and i was cringing through most of the night. the thing about fights like those....these guy both ended up in the hospital. they both left a lot of themselves in that ring. whatever they were paid for this fight will not be enough for what they gave physically. sometimes fighters need to be saved from themselves. unfortunately, the promoter, the network and the teams of both guys don't give a shit. they'll throw these guys right back up on the chopping block to make "history" with some bullshit trilogy and over selling by hbo.
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 1 2013, 05:15 PM) *
I think he's faster than Broner in leg/footspeed but AB's hands appear to be faster and yes, he will be a threat to any fighter at 140.

hence why he won't get fights with the best of them soon. they'll all say he needs to prove himself and fight more competition etc

i meant that about crawford, thought you were on about crawford lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 1 2013, 03:49 PM) *
What makes you so sure... he would beat him six days out of the week... Based on what? I could see if Broner has been beating up on serious competition but he has not still is a ? This thread was started because Broner has been branded the truth and the future, yet he has fought no one. I have seen Broner and he is damned good, but I was more impressed with this guy's overall skill set. he showed a variety of punches and took some good whacks to the jaw from a heavy handed guy above him in weight-- Impressive- in some ways more impressive that what Broner has been doing- especially fighting on less than one week;s notice I am just not as sold on Broner as many are and I think 147 will be a wakeup call for him-- often the media builds a guy up into where even knowledgeable people by into the hype-- Broner until he beats legit people is HYPE-- and there is nothing wrong with speculating on how he would fare against anyone- he is still a baby in the game... This guy Crawford seems to be every bit as talented and even better defensively--

The thing is, Broner may possess the same (or better) skillset as Crawford, but he hasn't fought anybody that forces him to use it. As for Crawford, he has an impressive skillset, but he needed to use that against Prescott. People clamor over Broner's victories, and I agree, he hasn't done much, but we must use treat Crawford the same, because he fought Prescott, nobody special.

Just because Crawford's skills worked against a slower slugger, doesn't equate to him hanging in there with Broner, who's shown us his offense AND defense, but as you said, he's shown it against sub par competition. I guess that's where the rubber meets the road, if Crawford and Broner are ever across the ring from each other.
daprofessor
i may be in the minority here....but judging from the skills crawford displayed against prescott....i believe it's safe to say he can do that with just about any of the top guys in the division. he seemed very poised. a fight with him and broner might play out way differently because they are sort of cut from the same cloth stylistically speaking. broner appears to be a bit faster and stronger. i would welcome the match...but casual fighter fans might not appreciate the chess match it would be.
neophyte7
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 08:54 PM) *
i may be in the minority here....but judging from the skills crawford displayed against prescott....i believe it's safe to say he can do that with just about any of the top guys in the division. he seemed very poised. a fight with him and broner might play out way differently because they are sort of cut from the same cloth stylistically speaking. broner appears to be a bit faster and stronger. i would welcome the match...but casual fighter fans might not appreciate the chess match it would be.

You said a key word- "poised"--- this guy was not rattled in the slightest and seemed very cerebral in there. Not saying that his opposition was not limited to a degree but on short notice this guy was hitting on all cylinders...
daprofessor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 1 2013, 08:39 PM) *
You said a key word- "poised"--- this guy was not rattled in the slightest and seemed very cerebral in there. Not saying that his opposition was not limited to a degree but on short notice this guy was hitting on all cylinders...

prescott is not joke. he was swinging for the fences and actually landed a few shots. crawford just went about his business and showed plenty different looks in the ring. i got the feeling that he's one of those guys that the better the competition gets...the more we'll see.
checkleft
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 1 2013, 10:20 AM) *

I seriously think people are putting way too much weight into that performance. Did anyone every care to think that broner knew his competition was limited that night so he chose to be in harms way to try to put on a show? Demarco was the best in the division and broner demolished him, showing when he's really focused he can be world class.

As for Crawford he was very good but idk why he wants to go back down after this fight. Does he normally fight as a south paw? And BTW did anyone feel the irony w/arum being so excited about having a good defensive fighter even tho he always calls mayweather boring? Lol

Another point is it me or is it weird that fighters who don't do so great in the ams are better pros recently? Broner/Crawford were good in the ams but not great and yet they seem to be a few levels above most blue chip ams that come out. I love how these two came out of nowhere tho!

Btw am I the only one who thinks this dude is gonna have a hard time attracting anyone at LW now? I'm pretty sure he even made ppl at 140 nervously with a show like that
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 1 2013, 03:24 PM) *
hence why he won't get fights with the best of them soon. they'll all say he needs to prove himself and fight more competition etc

i meant that about crawford, thought you were on about crawford lol

I'm an instant fan of this kid, he has all the wrinkles-about the only thing I haven't seen from him is his punching power and ability to come back from adversity if he was tagged/his beard but I'm certain that he will get better fights after the way he easily befuddled Prescott.

We (fans of the sport) have to put this into perspective, this kid took this bout on short notice and easily whupped a man who destroyed Amir Khan.
mgrover
to add insult to injury the kids orthodox but was fighting southpaw the majority of the fight. The minute he switched orthodox he was landing at will and consistently with fluid combos
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 10:48 AM) *
to add insult to injury the kids orthodox but was fighting southpaw the majority of the fight. The minute he switched orthodox he was landing at will and consistently with fluid combos

I said that during and after the fight. I thought that was the sole flaw in his gameplan. I don't get why he switched. He was landing at will from the orthodox stance. His defense was still there when he went southpaw but his punches, other than his jab, were falling short at times. I was impressed by him though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 2 2013, 12:24 PM) *
I said that during and after the fight. I thought that was the sole flaw in his gameplan. I don't get why he switched. He was landing at will from the orthodox stance. His defense was still there when he went southpaw but his punches, other than his jab, were falling short at times. I was impressed by him though.

i think he went southpaw for the same reason alvarado went south paw. bangers like rios and prescott love the right cross/left hook combination because it's their power shots. you take that away when in the south paw stance because the hook is smothered and the cross is further away rendering it less effective.
MAHDI
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 10:48 AM) *

This kid is the next superstar in boxing on the rise. After seeing him last night adjust to an opponent who landed some hard shots early by switching to orthodox and conventional, and mixing in brutal body and head shots, I am sold on this guy. I think he would eat Broner's food... why is Broner fleeing the lightweight division so abruptly? Oh well..
scdrking2
What do people think his optimal weight class would be? Is he ultimately another add at 147 or is 140 better for him long term?
MAHDI
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 16 2013, 11:24 AM) *
What do people think his optimal weight class would be? Is he ultimately another add at 147 or is 140 better for him long term?

He should bang out 135 for while and build his name there... 140 for a while then 147... He has not called anyone out yet and that tells me he is humble and intent on honing is craft.. he will whip a high profile name soon enough.
checkleft
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 16 2013, 09:02 AM) *
This kid is the next superstar in boxing on the rise. After seeing him last night adjust to an opponent who landed some hard shots early by switching to orthodox and conventional, and mixing in brutal body and head shots, I am sold on this guy. I think he would eat Broner's food... why is Broner fleeing the lightweight division so abruptly? Oh well..

I'm guessing you buy a lot of lemons?
The kid is a breath of fresh air but I wouldn't get all "GGG crazy". The boy does have skill but shit wait until he has an actual body in front of him lol

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 16 2013, 10:24 AM) *

He's a big lightweight. He looked good at 140 but he has a thin frame so he may be to small for 147

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 16 2013, 11:30 AM) *
He should bang out 135 for while and build his name there... 140 for a while then 147... He has not called anyone out yet and that tells me he is humble and intent on honing is craft.. he will whip a high profile name soon enough.

And who exactly is there to bang out with at 135? Burns won't fight anyone and vasquez is chasing burns. There's a reason broner left lol. He should have stayed at 140, there's plenty of formidable journey men there as well as top fighters.
MAHDI
[quote name='checkleft' date='Jun 16 2013, 02:18 PM' post='583688']
I'm guessing you buy a lot of lemons?
The kid is a breath of fresh air but I wouldn't get all "GGG crazy". The boy does have skill but shit wait until he has an actual body in front of him lol

Broner has no body of work and people have long ago annointed him the next mayweather. I stand by my statement cool.gif
checkleft
Broner has no body of work and people have long ago annointed him the next mayweather. I stand by my statement cool.gif

"Most people don't know shit about boxing". I stand by that

I'm not gonna hop on the hype train for this guy or broners. They need to fight someone, goes for ggg quillen and all these other dudes calling top dogs out
MAHDI
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 16 2013, 10:44 PM) *
"Most people don't know shit about boxing". I stand by that

I'm not gonna hop on the hype train for this guy or broners. They need to fight someone, goes for ggg quillen and all these other dudes calling top dogs out

Nothing wrong with standing on that and I agree. I know boxing and have followed the sport for more than 30 years. Crawford has not called anyone out. He has humbly displayed great skill. When people saw Lebron James in highschool they said he was ready to dominate the NBA. Crawford in my view is the best of the young prospects and will be dominant. Superstar talent he has, yet that does not mean he is going to have Superstar money of course so maybe I could have put it differently
Dolimite
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 17 2013, 04:26 AM) *
Nothing wrong with standing on that and I agree. I know boxing and have followed the sport for more than 30 years. Crawford has not called anyone out. He has humbly displayed great skill. When people saw Lebron James in highschool they said he was ready to dominate the NBA. Crawford in my view is the best of the young prospects and will be dominant. Superstar talent he has, yet that does not mean he is going to have Superstar money of course so maybe I could have put it differently

He is a great prospect but not the best. The Charlo Twins and Gary Russel Jr. takes that crown.
Dolimite
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 17 2013, 04:26 AM) *

He is a great prospect but not the best. The Charlo Twins and Gary Russel Jr. takes that crown.
MAHDI
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 17 2013, 11:34 AM) *

I saw one of the Charlo's struggle with Demetrius Hopkins but D Hopkins is very hard to hit so I will have to see him again...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 17 2013, 11:34 AM) *

i'd put them all on the same level....but i think crawfords almost flawless victory over prescott trumps any of the others guys wins.
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 17 2013, 10:33 AM) *

I'm sorry but those guys are pretty overrated to me. But just my opinion, don't get me wrong they have godly speed and talent but Crawford has something way better than that, ring IQ. Russell and the twins get wild and sloppy

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 17 2013, 02:40 PM) *
i'd put them all on the same level....but i think crawfords almost flawless victory over prescott trumps any of the others guys wins.

I can agree with this
daprofessor
i've been watching more footage of crawford. the more i see...the more impressed i am. he and broner need to cross paths eventually. crawford switches stances a lot. he seems to be more defensive minded in the south paw stance. i like his style there. if he fights broner in an orthodox stance i think broner gets him.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 02:59 PM) *
i've been watching more footage of crawford. the more i see...the more impressed i am. he and broner need to cross paths eventually. crawford switches stances a lot. he seems to be more defensive minded in the south paw stance. i like his style there. if he fights broner in an orthodox stance i think broner gets him.

A quick slick southpaw would be trouble for anyone. Despite that broners best punch is his straight idc what people say about his left, its too wide for my taste. I have yet to understand why this kid wants to be at 135!!! Lol its infuriating!
mgrover
I think he's more defensive minded in the southpaw stand is because like anybody whose not a southpaw, it's not natural for him, so really he can only throw a punch or two, since combinations feel very unnatural, and can put him out of balance.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 18 2013, 07:42 PM) *
A quick slick southpaw would be trouble for anyone. Despite that broners best punch is his straight idc what people say about his left, its too wide for my taste. I have yet to understand why this kid wants to be at 135!!! Lol its infuriating!

why not clean out the division and maximize his earnings before moving up? i think it's a smart move. 140 and 147 are going to be loaded with talent for a while. he has time to clean up at 135.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 18 2013, 08:10 PM) *
I think he's more defensive minded in the southpaw stand is because like anybody whose not a southpaw, it's not natural for him, so really he can only throw a punch or two, since combinations feel very unnatural, and can put him out of balance.

i don't know about that....he looks pretty good throwing in combination from the stance. i say he's more defensive minded in that position because he seems to sit on his back leg much bettter in that position and his headmovement looks more fluid and natural there. whereas in the orthodox position he looks front foot heavy and a little more squared. he also seems to get hit more in that position.
MAHDI
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 08:13 PM) *
why not clean out the division and maximize his earnings before moving up? i think it's a smart move. 140 and 147 are going to be loaded with talent for a while. he has time to clean up at 135.

I agree... Just keep busy and making consistent change until the time comes. I like his approach and attitude in the ring. He seems to be very cerebral.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 07:13 PM) *

Threres nothing to clean out, I think vasquez is top rank to but burns won't fight anyone and other than that its dead, most of the 140 pounders will be moving up soon and even with that there's plenty of respectable contenders he can fill his resume with still there. He can clean that out while adding respectable wins against guys like zab holt shit if alvarado loses I'm sure arum doesn't mind fixing that fight up, especially since brandon is more marketable. Idk I think the kid is wasting his time at 135, nothing for him there unless burns comes out of his panties.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 19 2013, 01:15 AM) *
i don't know about that....he looks pretty good throwing in combination from the stance. i say he's more defensive minded in that position because he seems to sit on his back leg much bettter in that position and his headmovement looks more fluid and natural there. whereas in the orthodox position he looks front foot heavy and a little more squared. he also seems to get hit more in that position.

haven't seen enough of him to be able to say, am just going off the gamboa fight tbh
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 19 2013, 02:20 AM) *
Threres nothing to clean out, I think vasquez is top rank to but burns won't fight anyone and other than that its dead, most of the 140 pounders will be moving up soon and even with that there's plenty of respectable contenders he can fill his resume with still there. He can clean that out while adding respectable wins against guys like zab holt shit if alvarado loses I'm sure arum doesn't mind fixing that fight up, especially since brandon is more marketable. Idk I think the kid is wasting his time at 135, nothing for him there unless burns comes out of his panties.

i'll agree...there isn't much there, but he should at least collect a couple of straps to increase his earning potential at 140. at this point....he's just another fighter at 140. if he wins a couple straps...he's a champion moving up and puts himself high on the list.
Hotsauce
crawford might be a future GOAT
Dolimite
Crawford is signed with Top Rank. He will be lucky to get 2 fights a year. Arum is not about promoting black fighters. At all. Plus his level of competition needs to be higher. The fight with Broner would be interesting. Crawford has a lot of skill and he is a smart boxer. He doesn't rely on his talent to win but his skill and craft, plus he is a thinker. He could give Broner major problems, plus Crawford has a punch. I think Broner maybe faster. It is an interesting that will never happen
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 10 2013, 06:35 AM) *
Crawford is signed with Top Rank. He will be lucky to get 2 fights a year. Arum is not about promoting black fighters. At all. Plus his level of competition needs to be higher. The fight with Broner would be interesting. Crawford has a lot of skill and he is a smart boxer. He doesn't rely on his talent to win but his skill and craft, plus he is a thinker. He could give Broner major problems, plus Crawford has a punch. I think Broner maybe faster. It is an interesting that will never happen

i'm hoping toprank proves us all wrong and promotes the shit out of bradley, rigondeaux and crawford. laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 10 2013, 11:28 AM) *
i'm hoping toprank proves us all wrong and promotes the shit out of bradley, rigondeaux and crawford. laugh.gif

How does Donaire have a fight before Rigondeaux? That should answer your question!
MAHDI
is that Black fighters have no fan base and that masses African Americans (Blacks) do not follow the sport like mexicans so they are not worth a big promotional investments?

crawford can punch and is very cerebral in the ring. I like him and think that he would give Broner hell
HyyerBlaze
I was at Rios/Alvarado 2....Broner KOs Crawford imo.Better fight to be made with Broner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.