QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 1 2013, 01:14 PM)
This may be a bit off point, but let's face it, Arum has a lucky horseshoe up his ass.
He's successfully created some lucrative and fan-friendly rematches, which can lead to other fights. He now has Manny, JMM, Alvarado, Rios, Bradley, and Provodnikov, in the holster. He'll ultimately make a killing off of these fights alone, regardless of how he mixes them.
GBP has some young stars on their roster, but a number of things can happen:
1. We can get those highly anticipated matchups, and they'll end in a sour fashion
2. Someone can test positive for PEDs and ruin everything (Let's face it, most of those of those dudes who came up hot from last year to present, were or are now GBP fighters).
3. They can continue to build their "stars" up by putting them in showcase bouts, only for them to stink it up and get upset. It happens.
4. We can have another series of postponed/cancelled GBP fights, which will turn viewer's attention to these TR cards until the GB fights actually happen.
With all of these factors in mind, when was the last Top Rank disaster? Manny getting knocked out? Cool, but what good has happened since then? This past month of action-packed fights, have pretty much patched up that big boo-boo. Let's not forget, Manny is STILL a draw, regardless.
TR deals with issues waaaay better than GBP. What's happened to GB as of late?
1. They just signed a PED user (Berto), who got busted up by a LW.
2. They signed another guy accused of PEDs (Peterson), who could very well lose to Matthysse, though I give Peterson a strong chance to win.
3. Alexander/Brook has been postponed twice already
4. Khan got knocked by Garcia last July
5. Morales got popped for PEDs
6. Seth Mitchell got whacked by Banks, and the rematch got cancelled
7. Guerrero just got busted with a firearm in the worst state to ever get busted
8. Garcia/Judah got postponed
9. Victor Ortiz is still on the shelf after getting upset by Lopez
10. They put Lopez in a shitty fight against Canelo, smh
11. Trout upset Miguel Cotto, whom was ultimately going to be Golden Boy's 2nd lucrative free agent (like Floyd is), but he got upset and now has to play the waiting game.
12. HBO no longer wants to do business with them
13. They have a loose, but money generating screw in Broner, whose contract is up next month. Even he resigns, who needs that type of liability on their hands?
I know that some of these situations can be made into a good situation, but the damage control that they've had to do over the past year, has been crazy. They've given us some great fights though (after the wound was patched up), but TR's mess usually gets swept under the rug, and they're able to bounce back.
there's another way to look at this...
1. trout/canelo is a great fight. (mega fight imo)
2. mayweather/guerrero is going to be highly competitive. (any fight with floyd is a mega fight at this point)
3. garcia/judah should be good.
4. matthysse/peterson should be good as well.
5. winners of garcia/judah and matthysse/peterson facing each other is a huge statement for best at 140. (mega fight) all 4 of these guys beat rios and alvarado.
6. broner/malignaggi is a huge statement for broner
7. cotto's comeback fight will be a big deal.
8. quillen/guerrero is going to be a good fight.
9. mares/de leon is going to be a good fight.
10. russell jr, jacobs, wilder, lara, kirkland, thurman, santa cruz, maidana, linares, kahn...are all very good guys to have in a stable.