Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ref and the Judges for May 4th/Mayweather Interview
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-guer...so-named--64192

Well the stage is set? How did you like the judges (too old in my opinion and I have never been sure about Julie Ledderman).

The ref, Byrd is just okay with me. Seems like a set up!

http://fighthype.com/news/article14169.html

A great interview by Floyd. Was a little surprised to see him at the game but I guess everyone needs a break. And I knew he was going to say Tupac! This is the Floyd I rather hear and read about. I guess he is maturing... good job!
VJones
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 9 2013, 12:48 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-guer...so-named--64192

Well the stage is set? How did you like the judges (too old in my opinion and I have never been sure about Julie Ledderman).

The ref, Byrd is just okay with me. Seems like a set up!

http://fighthype.com/news/article14169.html

A great interview by Floyd. Was a little surprised to see him at the game but I guess everyone needs a break. And I knew he was going to say Tupac! This is the Floyd I rather hear and read about. I guess he is maturing... good job!

I don't concern myself too much with the refs and even less with the judges. A fighters team has to do that bit of leg work. Don't know much about Guerrero's team, but Mayweather's team usually handles their business in terms of objections, questions, etc. At this level, it's imperative.

Btw, I trust Julie's eyes above her fathers. I don't recall any terrible cards from her. But Harold...smh.

I dislike biased/involved/incompetant referring as much as anyone, but one of my pet peeves is when a fighter blames the ref after a fight for a loss. As I see it, a fighter has to fight his/her fight, STAY FOCUSED, make adjustments and move ALL obstacles out of their path. That includes a bad ref. Risk, the DQ if you must...but win YOUR fight. Treat the darned referee like he's invisible (as he's supposed to be). And if he's injecting himself into your fight...then treat him like part of your opponent, make adjustments, and beat (both of) them.
daprofessor
i can see this fight getting dirty quick. both guys are rough in the trenches. byrd is going to have his work cut out for him and hopefully we don't get a situation like the ortiz fight. as for the judges...i think it's fair to say that robert is not going to win a decision. he'll have to ko floyd to win. while i do believe he's going to give floyd his roughest fight to date...even with his pops in the corner and him committing to boxing instead of trading....i can't see floyd getting ko'd. he may get dropped though.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 9 2013, 03:34 PM) *
i can see this fight getting dirty quick. both guys are rough in the trenches. byrd is going to have his work cut out for him and hopefully we don't get a situation like the ortiz fight. as for the judges...i think it's fair to say that robert is not going to win a decision. he'll have to ko floyd to win. while i do believe he's going to give floyd his roughest fight to date...even with his pops in the corner and him committing to boxing instead of trading....i can't see floyd getting ko'd. he may get dropped though.

Floyd has never been dropped. You think Robert has the punching power to drop him? That is a pretty interesting statement. Did he drop Berto, I do not remember him doing so, I will have to go look at the fight again.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 9 2013, 07:26 PM) *
Floyd has never been dropped. You think Robert has the punching power to drop him? That is a pretty interesting statement. Did he drop Berto, I do not remember him doing so, I will have to go look at the fight again.

yes...i think robert can drop him. robert did drop berto. i have a feeling....mayweather is going to have to dig deeper than he ever has for this win.
Cshel86
Where's Kenny Bayless when you need him? Don't get me wrong, Byrd and Weeks are as good as they come, but those crazy facial expressions and hard warnings from Bayless, always adds extra excitement to a fight...and leaves no room for nonsense. Lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 9 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Zab dropped his ass and didn't get credit, that glove touched the canvas..it was an obvious blown call
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 9 2013, 07:50 PM) *
yes...i think robert can drop him. robert did drop berto. i have a feeling....mayweather is going to have to dig deeper than he ever has for this win.

He dropped him with those dirty boxing tactics though, he aint dropping Floyd, I'd be more surprised if he did but anything can happen but I don't see that happening. Berto had an identity crisis right before our eyesI don't think his power is all that impressive at 147. He beat a unknown in Aydin and ate pointless shots, he beat a mentally weak Berto coming off a year layoff and he ate pointless shots..no impressive. He did what he was supposed to do. I know he's game but I need more evidenced as to him putting Mayweather on the canvas because using Berto as a measuring stick is pointless...the stuff he did in that Berto fight won't work in this one
VJones
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 9 2013, 07:50 PM) *

I dunno, Prof...that Berto "drop" (particularly the first one) was a hold and hit job. Don't see Floyd allowing that...but maybe The Ghost will shock me. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 9 2013, 09:01 PM) *
Where's Kenny Bayless when you need him? Don't get me wrong, Byrd and Weeks are as good as they come, but those crazy facial expressions and hard warnings from Bayless, always adds extra excitement to a fight...and leaves no room for nonsense. Lol

Lol. So true, Kenny is definitely no nonsense in there.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 12:56 AM) *
Zab dropped his ass and didn't get credit, that glove touched the canvas..it was an obvious blown call

That's true. But it was hard to call. Even in slow motion and from different angles it was a challenge to see. But you're absolutely right, the glove touched.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 01:56 AM) *

While it doesn't take away the fact his glove DID touch the canvas...you can hardly say "Judah dropped his ass"...that so called KD was the softest KD ever biggrin.gif
mgrover
I think a touch down would be more accurate for the Zab Judah thing haha
Franchize
LMAO @ Bayless and his "That's a HARD WARNING!" I think he's the best in the sport but my favorite is probably Tony Weeks. Byrd isn't bad though. Duane Ford is a big suspect to me.

As for that Zab Judah knock down...really. That's getting "dropped"? That's about as close to getting dropped as the time Floyd took a knee lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 9 2013, 08:26 PM) *

Name one fighter that has NEVER touched the canvas by the closing of their career. I'll wait...

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 10 2013, 10:04 AM) *
LMAO @ Bayless and his "That's a HARD WARNING!" I think he's the best in the sport but my favorite is probably Tony Weeks. Byrd isn't bad though. Duane Ford is a big suspect to me.

As for that Zab Judah knock down...really. That's getting "dropped"? That's about as close to getting dropped as the time Floyd took a knee lol

Bayless is my dude! The way he talks is hilarious!

"You wanna continue???" "Okay, stop the wrestling gentleman!"

Those facial expressions do the trick every time! laugh.gif
mitukczuk
I wonder how Mills Lane would ref the fight. I miss his galloping, 60+ years old and bald head running around having better footwork than 99% of fighters nowadays...

Tony Weeks is my man !! "I got you"
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 9 2013, 10:56 PM) *

I am talking about Mayweather laying on his ass but you are right, Zab should of gotten credit and I think the time he took a knee when he broke his hand. What fight was that? Chitown, do you think if Zab would have gotten credit for that knock down would it had changed the trajectory of the fight?
mitukczuk
It's funny how we are discussing this as if 1 KD in 40+ fights was a big deal. It's not a big deal even in 1 if you get the win. Pesonally I think a legitimate KD would make Floyd fight harder and on a whole new level..and given that he is already few levels above his opposition...oh well.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 10 2013, 07:12 AM) *
While it doesn't take away the fact his glove DID touch the canvas...you can hardly say "Judah dropped his ass"...that so called KD was the softest KD ever biggrin.gif

maybe not dropped but wasn't nothing soft about that. When Zab hit him with that straight left his head snapped back like the excorcist
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 10 2013, 11:22 AM) *
I am talking about Mayweather laying on his ass but you are right, Zab should of gotten credit and I think the time he took a knee when he broke his hand. What fight was that? Chitown, do you think if Zab would have gotten credit for that knock down would it had changed the trajectory of the fight?

It could have, people don't take into account the little things. They just see whats in front of them. I will say towards the end of the first round against Hatton he got hit with a series of punches and if he wasn't as athletic as he is that he would've touched the canvas
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 10 2013, 09:04 AM) *

Sue Me lmao
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 01:57 PM) *
maybe not dropped but wasn't nothing soft about that. When Zab hit him with that straight left his head snapped back like the excorcist

More like a pez dispenser
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 10 2013, 09:04 AM) *

Sue Me lmao
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 12:56 AM) *

yup.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 01:00 AM) *
He dropped him with those dirty boxing tactics though, he aint dropping Floyd, I'd be more surprised if he did but anything can happen but I don't see that happening. Berto had an identity crisis right before our eyesI don't think his power is all that impressive at 147. He beat a unknown in Aydin and ate pointless shots, he beat a mentally weak Berto coming off a year layoff and he ate pointless shots..no impressive. He did what he was supposed to do. I know he's game but I need more evidenced as to him putting Mayweather on the canvas because using Berto as a measuring stick is pointless...the stuff he did in that Berto fight won't work in this one

berto is a big dude who actually fought at 152 in the amateurs. floyd is smaller. guerrero is going to bang the body and shoulders. if floyd stays in the pocket to roll and pick off shots...it's very possible that he gets stunned or dropped. guerrero is a much sharper puncher than ortiz, cotto or shane at this point.
mgrover

Read the third paragraph, that's whats wrong with boxing. I mean come on fight hype.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 10 2013, 03:09 PM) *
berto is a big dude who actually fought at 152 in the amateurs. floyd is smaller. guerrero is going to bang the body and shoulders. if floyd stays in the pocket to roll and pick off shots...it's very possible that he gets stunned or dropped. guerrero is a much sharper puncher than ortiz, cotto or shane at this point.

Yeah Guerrero is sharp but he fights too flat footed now, that's not a good thing. I wouldn't be too shocked if he won but I don't think he will, but I'd definitely be shocked if he dropped Mayweather. Berto was never anything special. There's nothing comparable to him and Floyd and like I keep saying, Robert has not impressed me in his 2 fights at 147. I give him credit for those dirty KD's but I can't put to much stock in him knocking down a hype job by HBO
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 10 2013, 05:21 PM) *
Read the third paragraph, that's whats wrong with boxing. I mean come on fight hype.

That's a press release, blame GB not fighthype
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 10 2013, 06:16 AM) *
Name one fighter that has NEVER touched the canvas by the closing of their career. I'll wait...

Bayless is my dude! The way he talks is hilarious!

"You wanna continue???" "Okay, stop the wrestling gentleman!"

Those facial expressions do the trick every time! laugh.gif

If Cotto could not knock him on his ass I am not betting that Guerrero can do it either. The thing is you have to be in someone's range to be able to get knocked down. Now if he faces a Trout or someone of that weight with punching power or even a Thurman than maybe. Just maybe. I do not see Guerrero hurting to the point where May falls on his ass. If that happens then he may want to rethink his 30 month career plan.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 10 2013, 09:37 PM) *
If Cotto could not knock him on his ass I am not betting that Guerrero can do it either. The thing is you have to be in someone's range to be able to get knocked down. Now if he faces a Trout or someone of that weight with punching power or even a Thurman than maybe. Just maybe. I do not see Guerrero hurting to the point where May falls on his ass. If that happens then he may want to rethink his 30 month career plan.

Again, ANYBODY can hit the deck, and every great fighter has.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 10 2013, 06:51 PM) *
Again, ANYBODY can hit the deck, and every great fighter has.

Not saying they can but my money isn't on Guerrero to be that person to do it.
sduck
I think was Floyd leaving himself open throwing a right hand lead and then getting dropped by a counter right hook from Judah. Getting dropped is an overstatement, he slipped and his glove slightly touched the canvas, but since he slipped due to result of a punch, it was a legitimate KD. The other time is when he fought Carlos Hernandez, broke his hand during an exchange and purposely touched his glove on the canvas, got him counted for a KD. Both are legit KDs, but it's usually not the kind of KDs people expect, like actually being wobbled and flustered by a punch and then hitting the canvas.
Jack 1000
My take,

Byrd is fine as ref. At least no past history of problems.

Julie Ledderman, I'll take her judgements over her father any day. Twenty Years ago, Thirty years ago, Harold was good, now he's only ok, and is off more than he's on.

Duane Ford. I have a big problem with him. Didn't he have had Mayweather convincingly over Castillo in the first fight, in a fight that I thought Castillo won?

Jerry Roth, a little better but not much. I would have picked two out of state judges for this fight. Floyd will get all close rounds, and Byrd won't allow Guerrero to get inside, witch is the only way he can have a chance at winning.

Jack
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 11 2013, 01:55 AM) *
That's a press release, blame GB not fighthype

am sure fight hype could refuse to show it while sure am not the one lining there pockets
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 10 2013, 10:38 PM) *
Not saying they can but my money isn't on Guerrero to be that person to do it.

If I had to take stab at it, I'd say that secretly, your money wouldn't be on anybody to drop Floyd. laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 11 2013, 06:34 AM) *
If I had to take stab at it, I'd say that secretly, your money wouldn't be on anybody to drop Floyd. laugh.gif

I believed Cotto, Diego Corrales, Zab, and Oscar would put him on his ass. But it never happened. I still think if he fights Trout, Sergio, even Thurman that he would get dropped. Thurman has great punching power but his boxing sucks.
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 11 2013, 12:51 PM) *
I believed Cotto, Diego Corrales, Zab, and Oscar would put him on his ass. But it never happened. I still think if he fights Trout, Sergio, even Thurman that he would get dropped. Thurman has great punching power but his boxing sucks.

I honestly think pac has the best chance to drop him. With a awkward punch from a weird angle sort of how he got mosley
VJones
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 11 2013, 03:23 AM) *
am sure fight hype could refuse to show it while sure am not the one lining there pockets

Grove, it's not an issue of refusal really. Just part of the business. Companies put out press releases. Press entities (such as fighthype) release them (without bias). No money exchanges hands. Just part of the 'news' business.

The only suggestion I would have for Hype is that PRESS RELEASE be in BIG BOLD letters with many asterisks at the beginning of the text. Lol

They do have it in the link though.

I personally rarely read any company's press release, because by nature it's propaganda.
mgrover
QUOTE (VJones @ Apr 11 2013, 07:32 PM) *
Grove, it's not an issue of refusal really. Just part of the business. Companies put out press releases. Press entities (such as fighthype) release them (without bias). No money exchanges hands. Just part of the 'news' business.

The only suggestion I would have for Hype is that PRESS RELEASE be in BIG BOLD letters with many asterisks at the beginning of the text. Lol

They do have it in the link though.

I personally rarely read any company's press release, because by nature it's propaganda.

Maybe one day we'll get the utopia of boxing we all dream of
VJones
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 11 2013, 02:19 PM) *
Maybe one day we'll get the utopia of boxing we all dream of

Would be nice. It's my favorite sport to watch. Big on basketball, golf, tennis as well. And none of these other sports have the corruption found in boxing. Merit, not politics ranks you. And no matter how much you try and "sell" an athlete, if they don't perform...they lose. And not just the game, or match, or tourney...but money and standing.

Leave it to boxing to fail us. And badly, sometimes. And yet it draws us in still smile.gif To follow, and watch and sometimes obsess and hit these boards with our comments and stories. Oh boxing, I hate how much I love you. wink.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (VJones @ Apr 11 2013, 02:57 PM) *
Would be nice. It's my favorite sport to watch. Big on basketball, golf, tennis as well. And none of these other sports have the corruption found in boxing. Merit, not politics ranks you. And no matter how much you try and "sell" an athlete, if they don't perform...they lose. And not just the game, or match, or tourney...but money and standing.

Leave it to boxing to fail us. And badly, sometimes. And yet it draws us in still smile.gif To follow, and watch and sometimes obsess and hit these boards with our comments and stories. Oh boxing, I hate how much I love you. wink.gif

All sports have some form of corruption, it's just Boxing's is the only one that doesn't have a punishment system in place. The crooks get off free in Boxing, in other sports they'll be judged and sentenced accordingly
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 11 2013, 12:25 AM) *
My take,

Byrd is fine as ref. At least no past history of problems.

Julie Ledderman, I'll take her judgements over her father any day. Twenty Years ago, Thirty years ago, Harold was good, now he's only ok, and is off more than he's on.

Duane Ford. I have a big problem with him. Didn't he have had Mayweather convincingly over Castillo in the first fight, in a fight that I thought Castillo won?

Jerry Roth, a little better but not much. I would have picked two out of state judges for this fight. Floyd will get all close rounds, and Byrd won't allow Guerrero to get inside, witch is the only way he can have a chance at winning.

Jack

This name has "shit" written all over it. The sad part is, Ford is good at times, but when he fucks up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm almost sure there wont be much corruption in this one, if we factor in who brings more money to Vegas...Floyd or Guerrero? Why is that even a question? Lol.

NOW, if Floyd and Manny were fighting next month, then I'd expect some nonsense from the judges, because of excitement and propaganda.
Jack 1000
It was Jerry Roth, not Duane Ford in Mayweather-Castillo I. The others were John Keene from England and Anek Hontongkam from Thailand. All had Mayweather well in front.

Jack
VJones
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 11 2013, 08:01 PM) *
All sports have some form of corruption, it's just Boxing's is the only one that doesn't have a punishment system in place. The crooks get off free in Boxing, in other sports they'll be judged and sentenced accordingly

True Chi...very true, there's corruption everywhere. But I think boxing is corrupt on so many levels, in ways other sports are not and never were. It's in the fabric of the sport. An old timer once told me that though the "mob" (in the sense of organized crime bosses, etc.) has changed/evolved...boxing is still "mob" owned/run. And that mob has a strangle-hold on the sport and too much money invested to let go easily.
mrchitown
QUOTE (VJones @ Apr 12 2013, 02:04 AM) *
True Chi...very true, there's corruption everywhere. But I think boxing is corrupt on so many levels, in ways other sports are not and never were. It's in the fabric of the sport. An old timer once told me that though the "mob" (in the sense of organized crime bosses, etc.) has changed/evolved...boxing is still "mob" owned/run. And that mob has a strangle-hold on the sport and too much money invested to let go easily.

Really? Damn, you just dropped some knowledge on me...but I totally agree, boxing needs a makeover badly. It's the only sport where the criminals just breeze thru and if they are caught they get off with a slap on the wrist
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.