Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it is much more difficult to win a gold medal than a world title
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
i just needed to get this off my chest.
mgrover
Well since you have to fight the best to get a gold medal sure I can't disagree. It's just at times you have gold medalists that make you think WTF when they become pros prime example Audley Harrison
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 9 2013, 06:56 PM) *
Well since you have to fight the best to get a gold medal sure I can't disagree. It's just at times you have gold medalists that make you think WTF when they become pros prime example Audley Harrison

heavyweights on a whole are usually garbage. laugh.gif they're the exception.
mgrover
He cruised to a gold medal, was phsically gifted and still messed up Lol the guys such a waste of talent and I swear the David Hate fight was fixed

Gamboa another, I wonder if the PED issue was ever resolved or did 50 cent pay the right people
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 9 2013, 07:01 PM) *
He cruised to a gold medal, was physically gifted and still messed up Lol the guys such a waste of talent and I swear the David Hate fight was fixed

i didn't really follow his career at all so i can't speak on it.
Cshel86
Seems like everybody despises Audley Harrison laugh.gif

Agreed Professor, it's much harder to win some shit that involves you having to go through everybody. These championship belts are a joke nonetheless, and a fighter's rise to a championship can be cherry picked and funded.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 9 2013, 08:26 PM) *
Seems like everybody despises Audley Harrison laugh.gif

Agreed Professor, it's much harder to win some shit that involves you having to go through everybody. These championship belts are a joke nonetheless, and a fighter's rise to a championship can be cherry picked and funded.

Well it used to be back in the day when you had to connect with the white part of the glove in order for a punch to count and adding to that you have to beat the best to be the best.
mrchitown
IDK it depends on how you look at it, but with seemingly 5 different champs in a division in the pro ranks..it does seem easier to win one. But also the amateurs are corrupt worldwide, we always here of money changing hands to ensure a country's fighters get preferential treatment. It was quite a few robberies in this past Olympics. Damned if you do damned if you don't type if deal
Jovi
One day ill be able to answer this from experience. Dreams.

I'd say Olympics, the fighting is different with the gear and points are only added by punches so people throw wild flurries and just don't look precise when throwing punches...Cough Zou Shiming. Power must not be accounted for i'm thinking, i know people can still get KO'd but it doesn't happen often right?

You aren't getting paid to fight so you really have to be motivated, and going up against the best from other countries, someone who may have trained as much as you or even more. Its like the Mortal Kombat tournament.
Franchize
I agree. Mainly because the boxing judging in the Olympics is probably the only thing worse than professional boxing.
mgrover
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 10 2013, 12:31 PM) *

I'd say Olympics, the fighting is different with the gear and points are only added by punches so people throw wild flurries and just don't look precise when throwing punches...Cough Zou Shiming. Power must not be accounted for i'm thinking, i know people can still get KO'd but it doesn't happen often right?

You aren't getting paid to fight so you really have to be motivated, and going up against the best from other countries, someone who may have trained as much as you or even more. Its like the Mortal Kombat tournament.

See I think it's a good thing power isn't accounted for mainly because Olympic Boxing is more towards whose skilled rather than who is a strong puncher. Most the KDs I've seen in amateur boxing were from either well placed body shots or clean blows to the head.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 01:03 AM) *
IDK it depends on how you look at it, but with seemingly 5 different champs in a division in the pro ranks..it does seem easier to win one. But also the amateurs are corrupt worldwide, we always here of money changing hands to ensure a country's fighters get preferential treatment. It was quite a few robberies in this past Olympics. Damned if you do damned if you don't type if deal

just to qualify for the olympics is an amazing feat....especially here in the u.s.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 10 2013, 06:31 AM) *

the headgear is gone. they're scoring on a 10 point must system now. it's gone back to the way it used to be.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 10 2013, 09:09 AM) *
I agree. Mainly because the boxing judging in the Olympics is probably the only thing worse than professional boxing.

i disagree. i know there are bouts where the judging has left a lot to be desired in the olympics....but pro boxing takes the cake when it comes to bad judging.
mikE11
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 10 2013, 01:03 AM) *

There are only 4 champs at most in any division.
mikE11
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 10 2013, 06:31 AM) *

It's like you've never seen am boxing. Top ams rarely throw 'wild flurries' and Shiming was not an exception. Power was accounted for because it was one of the few ways to get judges sitting all around the ring to agree on a punch actually scoring. Successful ams did get paid for results in the olympics. Some by big pro contracts, others by big stipends from their governments.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mikE11 @ Apr 10 2013, 03:08 PM) *
It's like you've never seen am boxing. Top ams rarely throw 'wild flurries' and Shiming was not an exception. Power was accounted for because it was one of the few ways to get judges sitting all around the ring to agree on a punch actually scoring. Successful ams did get paid for results in the olympics. Some by big pro contracts, others by big stipends from their governments.

making the u.s. team pays as well. some of the guys who were on the team made 50-60k a year in stipends.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mikE11 @ Apr 10 2013, 03:04 PM) *
There are only 4 champs at most in any division.

I know MR. Technical lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 10 2013, 02:59 PM) *
just to qualify for the olympics is an amazing feat....especially here in the u.s.

You aint never lied, I've been seeing alot of promise from some amateurs who are currently competing in the US amateur ranks. Chicago actually has some that are doing well. But I tell you this, it's some cats from Detroit, Cincinatti, Cali, Texas that are going to be a problem

I fully expect the men to medal in 2016
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.