Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigondeau's skill and ring intelligence is on par with Mayweather's
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Aware
I was totally blown away by Rigondeaux's skill and intelligence. Who saw that move where he stepped into Donaire's right hand punch and jammed it with his shoulder and then stepped back to avoid the left hook? Just fucking beautiful! Are there any other fighters that do that? Rigondeaux did this 3 times, once to bump Donaire of balance and then escape. Mayweather was my favorite fighter and now it's Rigondeaux! What other subtle skills did you guys pick up?
Aware
I guess this is practically a repeat post. I didn't look at any others before I posted it. Furthermore, I don't think any of you look for and enjoy the same little things that I do. So please delete.
mgrover
On par? I don't know maybe, he still makes some mistakes like when he reached for the right hook at times his back leg was pretty far in the air.
neophyte7
His ring generaliship seemed Hopkins like. he actually set up Donaire to walk into some nasty upper cuts.... H
Jovi
I agree, his in and out style, defense and counter punching is definitely on par with Mayweathers. But i would take Mayweathers lead hook over Rigondeaux's. Rigondeaux is just Mayweather going Southpaw haha. And also Mayweather's inside game is much better, Mayweather can stand in the pocket and still not get hit, so he doesn't move around as much but still would if he had to.

Dude is nasty, that's why i been hyping him, well not hyping him but was excited because I recognized the skills and potential he had, he impressed me more than Nonito when i first saw him. Have you seen him do those like shadow feints? and setting people up with it, it's beautiful. Ring intelligence A++.

some of us knew this would happen but dam, I didnt think he would make Nonito look THAT BAD. Funny thing is he seemed VERY CAUTIOUS against Nonito. He didn't throw the as much body shots as he usually does, didn't do the shadow feint, just took it back to the fundamentals. Gotta appreciate it.
BrutUalBK
I wouldn't go that far yet throwing his name in the hat with FLoyd's, we have only seen him vs one opponent and we have yet to see him move up in weight and stop opponents and take shots from them also. So IMHO for someone to say this early into his development that he is onpar with Mayweather is just too soon.
Franchize
I wouldn't go that far but it is refreshing to see some ring IQ in there. He did still get dropped from not tying up correctly and Donaire won the footwork battle until about the 5th or 6th round. He definitely made a fan out of me though and I will be watching his fights in the future. I'm officially a Rigo fan. Not in the sense of say a Daquan Arnett who I'm intrigued by. I'm already completely sold on this guy!
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 16 2013, 11:10 AM) *
I wouldn't go that far but it is refreshing to see some ring IQ in there. He did still get dropped from not tying up correctly and Donaire won the footwork battle until about the 5th or 6th round. He definitely made a fan out of me though and I will be watching his fights in the future. I'm officially a Rigo fan. Not in the sense of say a Daquan Arnett who I'm intrigued by. I'm already completely sold on this guy!

I didn't see it that way! I thought Donaire was never able to cut the ring off and never made Rigo's back touch the ropes/nor did he keep him there and go to the body to stop him from moving so much.
Jovi
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 16 2013, 12:49 PM) *
I didn't see it that way! I thought Donaire was never able to cut the ring off and never made Rigo's back touch the ropes/nor did he keep him there and go to the body to stop him from moving so much.

Yep, i also noticed that Rigondeaux made sure he stayed off those ropes. 10 steps ahead
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 16 2013, 06:14 AM) *
On par? I don't know maybe, he still makes some mistakes like when he reached for the right hook at times his back leg was pretty far in the air.

that's no different than when mayweather throws his overhand right and swings his back foot in to smother the counter.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 16 2013, 07:49 AM) *
I agree, his in and out style, defense and counter punching is definitely on par with Mayweathers. But i would take Mayweathers lead hook over Rigondeaux's. Rigondeaux is just Mayweather going Southpaw haha. And also Mayweather's inside game is much better, Mayweather can stand in the pocket and still not get hit, so he doesn't move around as much but still would if he had to.

Dude is nasty, that's why i been hyping him, well not hyping him but was excited because I recognized the skills and potential he had, he impressed me more than Nonito when i first saw him. Have you seen him do those like shadow feints? and setting people up with it, it's beautiful. Ring intelligence A++.

some of us knew this would happen but dam, I didnt think he would make Nonito look THAT BAD. Funny thing is he seemed VERY CAUTIOUS against Nonito. He didn't throw the as much body shots as he usually does, didn't do the shadow feint, just took it back to the fundamentals. Gotta appreciate it.

i agree...his inside game leaves a little to be desired. he squares up and i was a little disappointed that he let donaire use that elbow to stand him up and drop him. aside from that one mistake though he was nearly flawless.

i'd say his skill and ring intelligence is on par for sure. mayweathers inside skills are superior....but rigondeaux outside skills make up for it.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 07:09 PM) *
that's no different than when mayweather throws his overhand right and swings his back foot in to smother the counter.

I mean he's literally on one foot which leaves his balance not in the best of positions.
leonthegee
You can say Rigos counter punching and defense is on par with Floyd and thats about it. The guys had 4 trainers in 12 fights and none of them could get this guy to come forward. Floyd can fight on the inside. Hes walked fighters down. Thats something Rigo hasnt shown the ability to do that yet.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 16 2013, 02:19 PM) *
I mean he's literally on one foot which leaves his balance not in the best of positions.

so is floyd when he does the move i described.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 16 2013, 02:21 PM) *
You can say Rigos counter punching and defense is on par with Floyd and thats about it. The guys had 4 trainers in 12 fights and none of them could get this guy to come forward. Floyd can fight on the inside. Hes walked fighters down. Thats something Rigo hasnt shown the ability to do that yet.

it's the reason i put him behind floyd and ward. plus he doesn't really have an inside game. but to his credit...i think he is superior to floyd and ward on the outside.
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 10:31 AM) *
it's the reason i put him behind floyd and ward. plus he doesn't really have an inside game. but to his credit...i think he is superior to floyd and ward on the outside.

I dont think so. Not without a jab.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 07:29 PM) *
so is floyd when he does the move i described.

I don't understand how he'd smother the right hand from that position thanks to his foot being up?
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 16 2013, 04:50 PM) *
I dont think so. Not without a jab.

floyd hardly uses his jab. this guys reflexes and foot work on the outside are unparalleled imo.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 16 2013, 04:55 PM) *
I don't understand how he'd smother the right hand from that position thanks to his foot being up?

let me find video for u.

daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 16 2013, 04:55 PM) *

he does it a few times in this fight.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 05:34 PM) *

he does it a few times in this fight.

i remember this fight.....they say he doesn't fight strong tall fighters. Many people said he could lose this fight
Dolimite
Rigondeaux has had 400 amateur fights, he better know something. he is a smart fighter and he made Donaire adjust to his style and Donaire had no answer for it. However this was Rigondeaux first big title fight. He should that he needs to work on his balance and footwork. He was knocked down because he was off balance and was falling back when Donaire landed it which is why the punch was not as affective if he was standing up straight. Rigondeaux is a smart fighter great IQ but let's give him some time before we crown him king.
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 06:12 PM) *
i remember this fight.....they say he doesn't fight strong tall fighters. Many people said he could lose this fight

i thought he fought the wrong ndou. this guy may have had a good record but that was about it. lovemore ndou would have been a stiffer test. they fooled the public with this match up.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 16 2013, 06:20 PM) *
Rigondeaux has had 400 amateur fights, he better know something. he is a smart fighter and he made Donaire adjust to his style and Donaire had no answer for it. However this was Rigondeaux first big title fight. He should that he needs to work on his balance and footwork. He was knocked down because he was off balance and was falling back when Donaire landed it which is why the punch was not as affective if he was standing up straight. Rigondeaux is a smart fighter great IQ but let's give him some time before we crown him king.

i guess u missed the part where donaire shoved his forearm into rigondeaux's neck which stood him upright and allowed nonito to land that shot?
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 06:49 PM) *
i guess u missed the part where donaire shoved his forearm into rigondeaux's neck which stood him upright and allowed nonito to land that shot?

yea looked like The Holy Ghost Guerrero for a minute.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 02:49 PM) *

I have to go back and look at it. From what I saw of the replay it seemed he was already off balance but I will check it out in slow motion. But to answer your question I did not notice Donaire doing that which further makes me think he is a serious hype job.
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 17 2013, 12:15 AM) *
I have to go back and look at it. From what I saw of the replay it seemed he was already off balance but I will check it out in slow motion. But to answer your question I did not notice Donaire doing that which further makes me think he is a serious hype job.

he was stood as square as they could come really
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 06:56 PM) *
yea looked like The Holy Ghost Guerrero for a minute.

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 16 2013, 07:20 PM) *
he was stood as square as they could come really

go back and watch the footage. it was actually a very nice/sneaky move by donaire.
Cshel86
Where was I when this thread was opened???

laugh.gif

I wouldn't quite put him on par with Mayweath just yet, but dude knows how control a fight, even against a more athletic Doanire-type of fighter. Being calm while fighting THAT type of style, is a feat within itself.

He gets this type of credit, because Donaire is an above average fighter that he schooled. That's how it's supposed to go. As much as I dont like Donaire, I cant say that he's a hype job or overrated...because that would be taking away from Rigondeaux's victory, which Donaire is in 5th gear of doing as we speak.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 06:46 PM) *
i thought he fought the wrong ndou. this guy may have had a good record but that was about it. lovemore ndou would have been a stiffer test. they fooled the public with this match up.

He fought the right Ndou. Lovemore loss to Cotto and Sharmba mitchell in 04 and loss to mallinagi in 07. This fight took place in 03. A lot floyd's competition fought each other in some way. Funny though mitchell got waxed to Tszyu in 04
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 16 2013, 07:28 PM) *

laugh.gif

I wouldn't quite put him on par with Mayweath just yet, but dude knows how control a fight, even against a more athletic Doanire-type of fighter. Being calm while fighting THAT type of style, is a feat within itself.

He gets this type of credit, because Donaire is an above average fighter that he schooled. That's how it's supposed to go. As much as I dont like Donaire, I cant say that he's a hype job or overrated...because that would be taking away from Rigondeaux's victory, which Donaire is in 5th gear of doing as we speak.

dude is seriously butt hurt. i heard the excuses in his video before the fight ever started. sad. he blamed his unborn baby....rigondeaux "not wanting to engage" and a few other things. really sad. laugh.gif he's not the only one making excuses though. i've read quite a few articles from some of the shills who are doing their miserable attempt at damage control to undo this schooling.
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 07:43 PM) *
He fought the right Ndou. Lovemore loss to Cotto and Sharmba mitchell in 04 and loss to mallinagi in 07. This fight took place in 03. A lot floyd's competition fought each other in some way. Funny though mitchell got waxed to Tszyu in 04

no. lovemore was the better ndou and was undefeated at the time floyd fought this imposter. laugh.gif mitchell held his own with a bummed knee against tszyu.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 07:56 PM) *
no. lovemore was the better ndou and was undefeated at the time floyd fought this imposter. laugh.gif mitchell held his own with a bummed knee against tszyu.

Well fair enough but they both aint no where to be found.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 16 2013, 04:28 PM) *

laugh.gif

Making Stri Fry for some ho. LOL

I always thought Donaire was well matched. They said that Arce would be his biggest challenge, when I heard that i damn near spit out my Southern Comfort. Rigondeaux is on another level ring IQ wise. He out thought him and you could see Donaire had nothing when the guy wasn't coming straight forward. Rigondeaux used his foot work to perfection. I will not discredit Rigondeaux's amazing performance so I will say by Donaire's previous performances people thought that he would breeze through a newly pro fighter but they were sorely mistaken.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 07:55 PM) *
dude is seriously butt hurt. i heard the excuses in his video before the fight ever started. sad. he blamed his unborn baby....rigondeaux "not wanting to engage" and a few other things. really sad. laugh.gif he's not the only one making excuses though. i've read quite a few articles from some of the shills who are doing their miserable attempt at damage control to undo this schooling.

Did you hear Ward's comments of the fight? I was disappointed. People just need to tell truth and let all that bias bs go
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 16 2013, 08:00 PM) *
Making Stri Fry for some ho. LOL

I always thought Donaire was well matched. They said that Arce would be his biggest challenge, when I heard that i damn near spit out my Southern Comfort. Rigondeaux is on another level ring IQ wise. He out thought him and you could see Donaire had nothing when the guy wasn't coming straight forward. Rigondeaux used his foot work to perfection. I will discredit Rigondeaux's amazing performance so I will say by Donaire's previous performances people thought that he would breeze through a newly pro fighter but they were sorely mistaken.

i just keep going back to his comments about rigondeaux "not being worthy"....and "what has he done? blah,blah,blah..." donaire talked so much shit and got took to school by a dude with 11 fights. he's still talking out of his ass. maybe the rematch is in order? if donaire takes the poor advice of robert garcia and tries to pressure rigondeaux....and throw more punches....he's going to get ktfo'd in the rematch.
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 08:00 PM) *
Did you hear Ward's comments of the fight? I was disappointed. People just need to tell truth and let all that bias bs go

he prefaced everything by saying...."i'm biased because nonito is my friend..." so everything after that could not be taken seriously. i would have loved to hear his commentary or just see his facial expressions when rigondeaux was lighting his boys ass up in the ring. i'm sure that would have told the story. laugh.gif
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 08:06 PM) *
he prefaced everything by saying...."i'm biased because nonito is my friend..." so everything after that could not be taken seriously. i would have loved to hear his commentary or just see his facial expressions when rigondeaux was lighting his boys ass up in the ring. i'm sure that would have told the story. laugh.gif

yea I hear you. If you gonna go there its like why answer the question. People be lying their ass off. Donaire gives a great respect to Rigo on the post fight interview but then he turns left and gives excuses. Don't understand boxers. Everybody wants to be buddies but if someone got that ass tax just call the wash up for what it is.
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 08:15 PM) *
yea I hear you. If you gonna go there its like why answer the question. People be lying their ass off. Donaire gives a great respect to Rigo on the post fight interview but then he turns left and gives excuses. Don't understand boxers. Everybody wants to be buddies but if someone got that ass tax just call the wash up for what it is.

the truth hurts....and some just can't handle it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 08:05 PM) *
i just keep going back to his comments about rigondeaux "not being worthy"....and "what has he done? blah,blah,blah..." donaire talked so much shit and got took to school by a dude with 11 fights. he's still talking out of his ass. maybe the rematch is in order? if donaire takes the poor advice of robert garcia and tries to pressure rigondeaux....and throw more punches....he's going to get ktfo'd in the rematch.

Couldnt agree more. I didnt think that Rigo did enough before the fight was signed, but he DID/DOES have the skill to compete against Donaire. Thats what separates him from breastfed fighters like Canelo.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 09:02 PM) *
the truth hurts....and some just can't handle it.

They box for a living......those eye cookies hurt
dre98
On a side note did anyone see Guerrero's pops make fun of mayweather's classic padwork? Funny as hell but I wouldnt take that work lightly......The one kevin hart did was hilarious
mrchitown
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 08:20 PM) *
On a side note did anyone see Guerrero's pops make fun of mayweather's classic padwork? Funny as hell but I wouldnt take that work lightly......The one kevin hart did was hilarious

I saw that, I think the actual reactions by people to it was more funny then the video. But Guerrero's dad and those moves he was making were kinda funny
daprofessor
QUOTE (dre98 @ Apr 16 2013, 09:20 PM) *

u have a link for that?
Aware
Has Mayweather fought a better quality opponent than Donaire? I.e. a p4p fighter in their prime that is bigger than him. Corrales is not as good as Donaire imo. Is JL Castillo as good as Donaire? Also, how easy does Rigondeaux beat Pacquiao at 122? Donaire is clearly better in the skill department than Pacquiao.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 16 2013, 10:22 PM) *
u have a link for that?

Guerrero dad imitation of floyd and roger:

http://www.boxingscene.com/video-guerreros...-routine--64496

Aware
This is what I was talking about. I decided to make a gif. Who else does this?

www.myobokuzan.org/NB/up/ad9a7ec68e3972acfe2748e7a0d0aa36.gif
Aware
QUOTE (Aware @ Apr 17 2013, 01:04 AM) *
This is what I was talking about. I decided to make a gif. Who else does this?

www.myobokuzan.org/NB/up/ad9a7ec68e3972acfe2748e7a0d0aa36.gif

Does anybody know how to post that gif in here?
mgrover
QUOTE (Aware @ Apr 17 2013, 03:38 AM) *
Has Mayweather fought a better quality opponent than Donaire? I.e. a p4p fighter in their prime that is bigger than him. Corrales is not as good as Donaire imo. Is JL Castillo as good as Donaire? Also, how easy does Rigondeaux beat Pacquiao at 122? Donaire is clearly better in the skill department than Pacquiao.

skills wise? No. But Pac had this reckless abandon were he just tore into his opponent. While the outcome may not be all so different than the Donaire fight, I think Pac would of done better since he's not usually the type to load up with every shot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.