Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Showtime Announcers copying HBO's??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutUalBK
We all know how bad of a job Jim Lampley and his crew would gulf the b@ll$ of their house fighters but it appeared to me last night that Showtime's crew was had b@ll$ in their jaws from Alvarez. Trout landed punch after punch and though it had little pop on them he still landed but nothing was mentioned when he landed.

Was the Showtime Crew teabagging Canelo and being totally unfair to Trout??

Is there something we (the boxing public) can do to shine some light on this unfairness (if it indeed exists or just a figment of my imagination)?

DISCUSS!!
Dolimite
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 21 2013, 03:25 PM) *
We all know how bad of a job Jim Lampley and his crew would gulf the b@ll$ of their house fighters but it appeared to me last night that Showtime's crew was had b@ll$ in their jaws from Alvarez. Trout landed punch after punch and though it had little pop on them he still landed but nothing was mentioned when he landed.

Is there something we (the boxing public) can do to shine some light on this unfairness (if it indeed exists or just a figment of my imagination)?

DISCUSS!!

It was sickening! Paulie even was on the act. Now Farhood was pretty balanced but the others it was a free blow job for Alvarez. I guess they want Saul to stay with Showtime. It is to be expected. They have to make their fighters feel love.
Jovi
Well they did mention how it was a close fight and didn't agree with the judges who had it so far ahead.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 21 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Well they did mention how it was a close fight and didn't agree with the judges who had it so far ahead.

Yes they did but during the fight they hardly called anything for Trout, when he was landing 4-1 on shots but then when Canelo landed his one shot they made it sound as though he was thoroughly dominating the rounds.
leonthegee
I didnt think it was as bad as HBO. Its easy to call Canelos punches because you can see those. Trouts a slap boxer. 20% connect percentage? Hes lucky he even got a check.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 21 2013, 07:32 PM) *
I didnt think it was as bad as HBO. Its easy to call Canelos punches because you can see those. Trouts a slap boxer. 20% connect percentage? Hes lucky he even got a check.

You thought that AT was slapping? If that's the case then those slaps had Canelo damn near ready to go in the 6th and let's not forget about the punch that nobody scored (not even the Judges)-the Jab.

AT was controlling the vast majority of the fight with his jab alone, sure Alvarez made him miss a few but Canelo never really threw or landed many of his own but go and look at the stats on the jab and see how wide a river that is between them.

It appears the most important punch in boxing was not and is not even counted these days, what happened to the days of Larry Holmes (when one ruled the sport on his jab alone)??
leonthegee
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 21 2013, 04:38 PM) *
You thought that AT was slapping? If that's the case then those slaps had Canelo damn near ready to go in the 6th and let's not forget about the punch that nobody scored (not even the Judges)-the Jab.

AT was controlling the vast majority of the fight with his jab alone, sure Alvarez made him miss a few but Canelo never really threw or landed many of his own but go and look at the stats on the jab and see how wide a river that is between them.

It appears the most important punch in boxing was not and is not even counted these days, what happened to the days of Larry Holmes (when one ruled the sport on his jab alone)??

Im not saying he didnt win. I thought it was close. I stopped scoring the fight once they revealed the judges scores after 8 rounds. It was obvious to me that they were gonna to give Canelo the fight. But I didnt see much from either fighter.
Cshel86
Trust me, they didn't do 1/8 as bad as HBO. Let's be real here, this fight could've been on HBO, TNT, TBS, CNN, NBC, QVS, Oxygen, Nick Jr, whatever...the announcer's table would've been as bad you guys are describing it. Showtime wasn't all that bad, Trout just didn't give them too many reasons to speak up.

We have to keep in mind that fans/boxing world are clamoring for a Mayweather/Canelo fight within the next year, so of course they're gonna put extra mustard on everything that he does.

For christ's sake, they sang the fuckin' national anthems last night on a non-ppv card...when was the last time we've seen that done??? Hell, they sang the Mexican National Anthem for Canelo before the Mosley fight on the Mayweather/Cotto undercard...again, when was the last time we saw that?

They're pushing this kid...HARD. They did the same for Khan...having a fight in Washington D.C. against a "slick black fighter"...setting the stage for a Mayweather fight in the near future. They tried with Victor Ortiz, with keeping his fights on the West Coast and having him shadow Oscar like a lost kid in the mall.

Canelo is the only one who's passed the test thus far. Of course the networks are gonna pump him up. Again, I didn't see the Showtime team being anywhere as bad as the HBO team. Those dudes are blatant nuthuggers, and could give a flying flock of rat shit about what we thought..because they "thought" they has the "megafight" in the bag...until it fell through for good. HBO seems to be coming to their little dense senses nowadays, right? Lol
mrchitown
They weren't as bad as HBO. I don't think we'll ever see nut hugging on that level but I won't count it out just yet. They were throwing a lot of love Canelo's way but expect a lot of that going forward. As long as that Mayweather fight is out there, we should all get used to hearing the commentators say things like they did last night about Canelo
checkleft
It was worse than Hbo. I did not expect that at all
mgrover
It wasn't as bad they started to call things in favor of Trout at times like when he was walking him down, but if Canelo even farted they'd forget Trout was there and praise his amazing head movement and his power. Yet Trout clearly had the better Ring Generalship all night long with his head movement and footwork. It seems people on score those things when Canelo does them
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 22 2013, 04:31 AM) *
It wasn't as bad they started to call things in favor of Trout at times like when he was walking him down, but if Canelo even farted they'd forget Trout was there and praise his amazing head movement and his power. Yet Trout clearly had the better Ring Generalship all night long with his head movement and footwork. It seems people on score those things when Canelo does them

Yea, I don't think they showed one trout replay the whole telecast. Trout would land 15 punches and canelo would throw 5-6 land a jab and they would show like three different slow mo angles of it. Shit was pretty ridiculous

That commentary was worse than the Bradley pac fight
Plah
It was bad.. but not on HBO's level.
mgrover
QUOTE (Plah @ Apr 22 2013, 02:46 PM) *
It was bad.. but not on HBO's level.

yet...
Franchize
I didn't find it biased at all. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I actually thought they did a good job. Paulie ripped the judges for their lopsided score cards. They had the fight near even for most of the bout. I mean let's be frank here...Canelo is the star and he was winning the fight. That being said, I didn't think they did Trout any sort of injustice. It was a close fight that Canelo won but Trout certainly made a good account for himself. I thought the commentary depicted that. As far as the replays and stuff...yea. I did see a bias. Pst fight, they didn't show hardly any of Trouts moments.

Overall though, I was satisfied. I thought Paulie especially did an excellent job. When Trout was stealing rounds with activity, despite Canelo having the flashier lands, he called it Trout rounds. If it were HBO, they probably would have sided with Christodolou's card.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 21 2013, 07:25 PM) *

DISCUSS!!

yes. the wwe/mma dude is the new jim lampley. they need to get rid of him now!!! chime in on their facebook page. that's what i do.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 21 2013, 11:44 PM) *
Trust me, they didn't do 1/8 as bad as HBO. Let's be real here, this fight could've been on HBO, TNT, TBS, CNN, NBC, QVS, Oxygen, Nick Jr, whatever...the announcer's table would've been as bad you guys are describing it. Showtime wasn't all that bad, Trout just didn't give them too many reasons to speak up.

We have to keep in mind that fans/boxing world are clamoring for a Mayweather/Canelo fight within the next year, so of course they're gonna put extra mustard on everything that he does.

For christ's sake, they sang the fuckin' national anthems last night on a non-ppv card...when was the last time we've seen that done??? Hell, they sang the Mexican National Anthem for Canelo before the Mosley fight on the Mayweather/Cotto undercard...again, when was the last time we saw that?

They're pushing this kid...HARD. They did the same for Khan...having a fight in Washington D.C. against a "slick black fighter"...setting the stage for a Mayweather fight in the near future. They tried with Victor Ortiz, with keeping his fights on the West Coast and having him shadow Oscar like a lost kid in the mall.

Canelo is the only one who's passed the test thus far. Of course the networks are gonna pump him up. Again, I didn't see the Showtime team being anywhere as bad as the HBO team. Those dudes are blatant nuthuggers, and could give a flying flock of rat shit about what we thought..because they "thought" they has the "megafight" in the bag...until it fell through for good. HBO seems to be coming to their little dense senses nowadays, right? Lol

did he past the test? i had him losing. texas, the wbc and showtime were all pathetic saturday.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 22 2013, 01:40 AM) *
It was worse than Hbo. I did not expect that at all

showtime has been great these last few years so to see them go that route was sickening to me. no one is immune i guess? sad.gif
Cshel86
Man I'm still pissed about the way Antonio Tarver went out laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 22 2013, 02:34 PM) *
showtime has been great these last few years so to see them go that route was sickening to me. no one is immune i guess? sad.gif

They were, ever since the rigo fight it seems like they switched roles.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 22 2013, 04:27 PM) *
They were, ever since the rigo fight it seems like they switched roles.

it's like some sort of bad nightmare. sad.gif
flazi
the fight was so heavily put in canelo's favor before they got in the ring. first the venue, texas. then the judges which they switched. then cole as ref and a back up just in case they needed him. oh and the open scoring. the only way trout was winning was by ko. all canelo needed to do was land 2 punches per round and he was safe. how am i, as a fighter, fighting a pretty good fight so far supposed to react when after 8 rounds i haven't won 1 on 1 judges card? trout's jab and bodywork for me won the fight for him.
Showtime was bad but not hbo pompoms bad. the crazy part is that paulie, who fights a style like trout, had canelo ahead. it went almost like his fight with cano.
checkleft
QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 22 2013, 05:27 PM) *
the fight was so heavily put in canelo's favor before they got in the ring. first the venue, texas. then the judges which they switched. then cole as ref and a back up just in case they needed him. oh and the open scoring. the only way trout was winning was by ko. all canelo needed to do was land 2 punches per round and he was safe. how am i, as a fighter, fighting a pretty good fight so far supposed to react when after 8 rounds i haven't won 1 on 1 judges card? trout's jab and bodywork for me won the fight for him.
Showtime was bad but not hbo pompoms bad. the crazy part is that paulie, who fights a style like trout, had canelo ahead. it went almost like his fight with cano.

Great post
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 22 2013, 04:27 PM) *

+1!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.