Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Alverez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Genius
I got Canelo in this, bet the house. Floyd will need to dominate to win the decision or KO which is unlikely.
Hops
Floyd will simply offer Alvarez a measly $1M. After Alvarez refused, Floyd now has the same reason. That Alvarez doesn't want the fight.
Plah
Huge size (weight) disadvantage isn't an excuse? Don't get me wrong I want to see that fight but you're making it seem like Canelo is the end all be all just when he got a gift last night.
Marcus
To be quite honest, I'd like to See Canelo Vs. Cotto first in September. Thats a fight Im really excited about and I also want this fight to build up to be as intense as Mayweather Pacquiao- but actually materialize lol. I'd rather see Mayweather Canelo in May 2014. However that will be worst for Floyd because he's getting older and Canelo would be more experienced, more seasoned, still VERY young, and his credentials would permit him to get a greater purse if he continues being victorious amongst the 40,000 fans that he draws. If Floyd intends on figting Canelo he better do it ASAP. Time isn't on his side.

Canelo surprised the hell out of me last night. He performed well. Trout's kryptonite was his power. It was a very close fight however Canelo's power/accuracy was the deciding factor. Trout seemed so desperate and put himself at risk although he was more active. Respect to both fighters. Can't believe Canelo is only 22...

QUOTE (Hops @ Apr 21 2013, 02:55 AM) *
Floyd will simply offer Alvarez a measly $1M. After Alvarez refused, Floyd now has the same reason. That Alvarez doesn't want the fight.

No way in hell Floyd can do that after the 40,000 fans that were in attendance last night. And if Canelo fights Cotto on PPV in september im sure they'd crack a million buys at least. I dont even think Floyd has drawn that many fans to a venue. Mayweather Guerrero isnt even sold out yet. They had to add seats for this Canelo fight.
MaxPayne
I would ask everyone not to get ahead of themselves.

I was one of the people who predicted that Canelo would win a decision over Trout. I based this off of watching the Delvin Rodriguez and Miguel Cotto fights. I saw a fighter who was slippery enough to make the other guy miss, but someone who lacked both respectable power or accuracy. Against a marketable fighter like Canelo, you're simply not going to be awarded rounds. Even then, I technically had Trout ahead at the end of it all.

Floyd Mayweather is on another level. He's one of the most accurate punchers the game has ever seen. His punches are so accurate and often timed so well that even without true power at higher weights, you find your head snapping back, because you're walking into straight right hand leads.

The other point here is of conditioning. Canelo hasn't shown himself to be a relentless stalker with a battery like the Energizer Bunny. Floyd could literally keep turning him and popping and moving the entire fight and Canelo would be dumbfounded by the middle rounds, given the class of boxing technique and ability he was up against.

For those of you who subscribe to the popular theory where Floyd's "legs are gone", well, let's say he's up against the ropes with Canelo's head in neck, flailing away with punches to the body and occasional uppercuts. Well, I can tell you that he simply won't be landing much of his punches at all. Floyd on the other hand, would be countering sharply from different angles.

Is Canelo a good young fighter who took a major step today ? Yes. Is he on the level where people can start saying that he would defeat Floyd Mayweather ?

Nope.
Marcus
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Apr 21 2013, 12:13 PM) *
I would ask everyone not to get ahead of themselves.

I was one of the people who predicted that Canelo would win a decision over Trout. I based this off of watching the Delvin Rodriguez and Miguel Cotto fights. I saw a fighter who was slippery enough to make the other guy miss, but someone who lacked both respectable power or accuracy. Against a marketable fighter like Canelo, you're simply not going to be awarded rounds. Even then, I technically had Trout ahead at the end of it all.

Floyd Mayweather is on another level. He's one of the most accurate punchers the game has ever seen. His punches are so accurate and often timed so well that even without true power at higher weights, you find your head snapping back, because you're walking into straight right hand leads.

The other point here is of conditioning. Canelo hasn't shown himself to be a relentless stalker with a battery like the Energizer Bunny. Floyd could literally keep turning him and popping and moving the entire fight and Canelo would be dumbfounded by the middle rounds, given the class of boxing technique and ability he was up against.

For those of you who subscribe to the popular theory where Floyd's "legs are gone", well, let's say he's up against the ropes with Canelo's head in neck, flailing away with punches to the body and occasional uppercuts. Well, I can tell you that he simply won't be landing much of his punches at all. Floyd on the other hand, would be countering sharply from different angles.

Is Canelo a good young fighter who took a major step today ? Yes. Is he on the level where people can start saying that he would defeat Floyd Mayweather ?

Nope.

Great points. I respect what you're saying. But the thing is if Floyd intends on fighting Canelo he's either fought him already yesterday or hes fighting him now. There is no tomorrow or later. When i say that i mean Floyd can not afford to wait. If he wants the optimal chance at defeating Canelo he would fight him ASAP. And if Canelo wanted the optimal chance at defeating Floyd he'd calm his ass down and wait until Floyd is fighting his last fight at 39 when he's ripe for the picking. At this age Floyd can't afford to let Canelo keep developing his ring IQ, stamina, experience, skills, and power. Not saying Canelo is close to Floyds level, but Canelo is definitely a good challenge that would offer Floyd good work.
leonthegee
I didnt see anything from Canelo last night that suggest hes in Mayweathers league. You haters would do your usual. Accuse Floyd of ducking until the fight gets signed. Then Canelo would be a cherry picked opponent.
Dolimite
Canelo is still green and wild but shit whatever. After last night I guess Canelo is now the pound for pound king. He was given a gift. I'm a little sour right now.
Gambit808
I knew as soon as this fight was signed, once Canelo beat Trout, fans would get more confident in being vocal of him beating Mayweather. I mean what did he rehydrate back up to 172lbs. Fight night? If that's the case, Mayweather at most would rehydrate up to 150lbs. Do the math and understand that we're not talking about natural WW's having a shot at beating Mayweather anymore right?
Jovi
I don't think Mayweather fights Canelo because he is so damn big.

As for last night, I didn't like Trout's gameplan but i did like his work ethic and heart. He outworked Canelo even though alot of his jabs missed and power punches were dodged. Trout didn't have the Power that Canelo had just planting his feet and waiting for an opening. He must of put all his power in each of his shots, thats the only reason i'd see why he was tired. Trout didn't go to the body enough when Canelo was sitting there moving his head. I was disappointed to say the least. Canelo only won the fight because of his power, Trout underestimated him big time.

Canelo reminded me of Donaire but Trout is no Rigondeaux/Mayweather............. Also Canelo must watch ALOT of Mayweather!!!! you can see it in his style with each passing fight

Mayweather beats Trout.
Mayweather/Alvarez would prob be like Forman/Ali. Mayweather will have to out box him and not get on the ropes until Canelo gets tired then get that KO. Much easier said than done..
I don't know if Mayweather should take Pacquiao before or after Canelo.
emd01
Floyd is going to retire undefeated and thats if he fights Canelo or not. In a few years Canelo might actually be able to pull it off against Floyd when he gets his grown man strength and his balls drop but atm he's still learning on the job and making improvements. Floyd would pick him apart no matter how much he weighed fight night. Iinm Ortiz was close to 170 fight night wasnt he?
BoxingStill#1
okay folks, lets not get ahead of ourselves..

i see that canelo has the tools to beat may ( power, speed ect).

but hes gonna have increase his work rate to more than a few hard right hands and uppercuts to find floyed.

plus lets not forget the fact that canelo is an all natural jr middle, size would play a factor hear.
Amandla
I know this thread says Mayweather vs Alvarez but the weight difference immediately makes me think of another living legend called Sergio Martinez.

THATS the fight that needs to be made. Canelo vs Martinez. The winner of this can call out Floyd.

And they can come down to 154 for the fight.
JammyJam
I think y'all are getting ahead of yourselves. While Canelo did look very strong and fast...and his head movement has improved dramatically, I still saw a lot of things that would hurt him against Floyd. Trout was inaccurate and slow and I still feel like he boxed Canelo up a bit. If Floyd has any legs left he can potshot Canelo all night. It'd be his toughest fight though.
mrchitown
Mayweather's accuracy and ring IQ is key here. If and when he fights Canelo, he has many tools in his toolbelt that he can use. But I am of the opinion that the longer this fight is put off the tougher it'll be for Floyd to get a win.

Canelo showed some improvements, his head movement was impressive, I expected to see him throw combos but he didn't do it but he landed the more telling blows. He has some serious stamina issues and Mayweather can use that to his advantage....Mayweather-Alvarez is one of the best fights to be made in boxing, hopefully it comes to fruition, I definitely don't want to go through another Mayweather-Pacquiao like situation
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 21 2013, 01:39 AM) *
You know undoubtedly this will be the talk for the next few weeks. it will get ramped up even more should Mayweather beat Guerrero. What will Mayweather's excuses be?? Alvarez doesnt fight for Arum---check! He is available---check!! he wants the fight---check!! He's a big draw---check!!

I think Alvarez size and youth would prevail should this fight come off. Thats why it aint gonna come off, but i'll wait and see what the excuses are...

LOL, Alvarez showed so many holes in his game last night with his wild, wide swinging and missing and he gets too tired out taking shots to the body; Floyd will exploit all of that if he mans up and faces Mayweather. When Saul was asked if he wanted Floyd next, he stuttered and was nervous as a hooker in church.

Floyd will destroy that boy, he has too many weaknesses that he discovered last night vs Trout which is why he didn't call out Floyd and balked when asked about facing him.

Marcus
QUOTE (un01 @ Apr 21 2013, 05:38 PM) *
Everyone wants to see Mayweather fight Martinez and Alvarez, but the size advantage is just too much. We might see those fights down the road but we're definitely not gonna see them now, especially this early in Floyd's Showtime contract. Most likely, we're gonna see Mayweather vs Danny Garcia in September, the back and forth with Angel Garcia and Floyd Sr. Should be hilarious lol, then we'll probably see him fight Alexander.

Mayweather-Canelo=$$$$$$. This fight is definitely being made down the line. Currently thats the most lucrative fight in boxing. I'm just waiting to hear the views for last nights bout.

Mayweather-Martinez would be a legendary fight and i know Im REACHING but id like to see Floyd test himself at 160 for another title in another weight class. Both fighters are gettin ready to leave the game soon. Why not give the fans a legendary fight? But as i said Mayweather-Martinez at 160 is a push althouhg i wouldn't complain if it happened.

I think DSG fights 2 fights at welter before figthing Floyd. 2013 is to soon for that fight to materialize. Fighting either Alexander, Brook, or Purdy in december depending on how things go. Alexander Purdy winner is expected to fight Brook in August when hes healed up and ready to go.

Also those wretched WBC rankings have Amir Khan ranked #2 at welterweight i think. So i Feel theyre trying to make that Mayweather Khan fight happen behind closed doors.

But really theres no one for Floyd to fight besides Canelo, MAYBE martinez, and Alexander/Brook/Purdy winner. So whether the weight differences are to big or not these are really the only viable opponents.

I wouldnt be able to take a mayweather Garcia fight or mayweather kahn figth seriously. Only thing special about mayweather amir kahn is that amir khan would bring money to the table and people would credit him as a threat because virgil hunter in his corner. Virgil cant take away his chin.
ROME
QUOTE (un01 @ Apr 21 2013, 05:38 PM) *
Everyone wants to see Mayweather fight Martinez and Alvarez, but the size advantage is just too much. We might see those fights down the road but we're definitely not gonna see them now, especially this early in Floyd's Showtime contract. Most likely, we're gonna see Mayweather vs Danny Garcia in September, the back and forth with Angel Garcia and Floyd Sr. Should be hilarious lol, then we'll probably see him fight Alexander.

Good points by everyone in here. Glad to see people thinking logically. Canelo was a light heavyweight last night. If they were actually the same size, at this point Floyd would likely dominate Canelo just based on pace and endurance alone. One thing that Trout did from time to time is not let Canelo rest. That seemed to work, somewhat. The difference here is the Floyd is so much more accurate than Trout that he would have been able to better exploit Canelo's periods of inactivity.

That said, Canelo may have a near 30lb advantage on Floyd. If Floyd opted not to fight him, I wouldn't be inclined to call that ducking. Canelo, who may actually be a natural middle/super middle weight, might just be squeezing himself down to Jr. Middle, and should really be looking for Chavez, Martinez or even Golovkin (who says he would come down to Jr. Middle for a fight of that caliber).

If I were Floyd, Canelo would have to fight me at welterweight. I took a chance with DLH and Cotto and was outsized and uncomfortable in both. Canelo is bigger than both of them. Too much of a weight advantage here. At this point in his career, Floyd can do want he wants. He shouldn't be seeking the young up and comer Canelo. Canelo should be seeking him; IF he wants to prove himself. And seeing as how he is apparently looking for that fight, no catch weights; find me at welter.
ROME
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 21 2013, 06:47 PM) *
Well this is where I give Manny Pacquiao credit, Floyd if he fights Saul should ask for a hydration clause limit. Now he will catch so much hell for it but it would make the fight fair. I would say Saul could not rehydrate more than 7 pounds maybe even 5. That is the only way that I would fight Saul.

I completely agree. The issue is, YES, he would definitely catch heat for it. Honestly, I don't see Floyd doing that. I don't even think he'll require Canelo to come to welterweight to fight him, though that would make the most sense. I just think that if Floyd fights him and scrapes by and even loses at Jr. middle, people will completely ignore the fact that he would have been at such a disadvantage in terms of size. It's a bit of an unfair advantage IMHO. Floyd does not squeeze down to welterweight. His fight night weights are likely not much more than the welterweight limit. This would almost be like asking Canelo to fight Andre Ward, considering his in-ring weight. I'm not even sure Ward would outweigh Canelo by as much as Canelo would outweigh Floyd by, come fight night.
That said, that would clearly be an unfair fight for Canelo so I wouldn't consider it ducking if he chose not to fight a fighter who outweighed him by 25-30lbs come fight night. I apply the same principle with respect to Floyd fighting Canelo.
Amandla
QUOTE (un01 @ Apr 21 2013, 07:11 PM) *
Khan is completely off the radar. I don't think He'll be an option for another 1 or 2 years. Whether its Alexander, Purdy or Brook, those are all fights that don't bring in much dollar wise, but will be a fight he'll have to take since the well is dry. I think he'll end up fighting Garcia first. Since he has a little buzz going on, it will be a more profitable fight. Yeah, Floyd will get a lot of flak for fighting someone coming up in weight, but I'm sure Floyd will rather be criticized than kill himself with fighting these middle weights or take less money fighting guys like Alexander or Brook. Floyd will just give the old damned if I do, damned if I don't speech, lol

The Canelo fight will definitely happen, though. That's too much money to ignore. I think Golden Boy is gonna sit on it for a while and have him fight Cotto to build up more hype.

Canelo is there as an option and if he's there and De La Hoya is offering him up. He could take Alexander, Brook, Khan or another low draw at welterweight instead but Mayweather always goes for a BIG draw after a low one. So I think Canelo MIGHT get it but it could be talk. We shall see.

Another option is for him to head to the UK this fall to take on Khan or Brook. Either would be a big draw.
neophyte7
I picked Trout to stop Canelo based on his performance with Cotto and must say-- Canelo surprised me against trout relative to his head movement, albeit he is not busy enough and seems to tire periodically in rounds... He is good yet it is interesting that he was credited with a solid performance despite his constant retreat mode from TROUT who definitely lacks power people gave him big time credit even running for most of the 12th round in a close fight (those scores were pathetic) If mayweather performed like Canelo did people would have called him A TRACK STAR...
checkleft
QUOTE (Amandla @ Apr 21 2013, 02:19 PM) *
I know this thread says Mayweather vs Alvarez but the weight difference immediately makes me think of another living legend called Sergio Martinez.

THATS the fight that needs to be made. Canelo vs Martinez. The winner of this can call out Floyd.

And they can come down to 154 for the fight.

I completely agree here with the canelo martinez fight! The one good thing that came out of last night was that we saw canelos not too small for martinez and maybe some other middleweights if he can't find an appropriate dance partner.

Canelo came in at 172?? Mayweather doesn't even walk around at that weight. I think martinez only rehydrated to about 178 against chavez? But I'm sorry if martinez is anywhere near his chavez fight shape he could seriously hurt this kid. But I mean there is plenty of build up to this fight if it gets made. He could "avenge Mexico" or something. Talk about how he beat cintron and martinez didn't (even tho that fight was blastphemy). I would pay to see serg derail another "great Mexican hope"... It will be a sad day for me when the last of the real aztec warriors retires (marquez)
xxxxxx
A Mayweather-Alvarez fight would be an Event, but in reality, the fight Mayweather should be fighting after he beats The Ghost is Bradley at 147. It's just to bad the promotional companies will not work with each other on that one. After looking through the rankings I'm curious to see who Mayweather selects next for his September fight. It's hard to believe it would be Alvarez at this point, but have to admit that is a fight to get excited about. Obviously it wont be Bradley or Pacman( As long as they are with Arum). Mayweather already destroyed and embarrassed Marquez. Maybe a Garcia or Alexander if they win there next fights? You could make a case for Alexander if they allow it to be Unification at 147. Its hard to knock any unification's that take place(Mayweather has been Lineal, but never Unified). Garcia moving up to 147 IF he beats Judah would be OK, but hard to see that happening also. The Khan fight has lost too much buzz with his defeats and he got a lot of work to do. I don't expect Mayweather to go to Middleweight and fight Martinez. That would be stretching it. I may be in the minority, but if Spadafora could beat a legit opponent I wouldnt mind seeing him in there with Floyd. I'm not big on a Maidana fight either. He's Not gonna fight Broner at this point or ever so who the heck is it gonna be?
daprofessor
i didn't see anything from canelo that would suggest he can beat floyd. i won't entertain the thought of that fight until floyd beats guerrero.
neophyte7
Floyd has the stamina to beat canelo.. Canelo has stamina issues in mym view because he is fighting out of his class he is a 160 or 168 pound fighter. He cannot get away with the rehydration tactic too long before it physically catches up to him...
Hotsauce
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 22 2013, 03:04 PM) *
Floyd has the stamina to beat canelo.. Canelo has stamina issues in my
m view because he is fighting out of his class he is a 160 or 168 pound fighter. He cannot get away with the rehydration tactic too long before it physically catches up to him...

Yea sometime in 2014 he should be moving up in weight.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 22 2013, 11:52 AM) *
i didn't see anything from canelo that would suggest he can beat floyd. i won't entertain the thought of that fight until floyd beats guerrero.

Clearly you did not see that slick head movement that Saul displayed in the middle of the ring. And his accuracy was amazing! Plus he fought a guy within his weigh class and knocked him down. Yes Trout out pointed him and showed ring generalship throughout the fight but that Saul guy, he is the next Reddick Bowe of boxing! Mark my words!
leonthegee
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 23 2013, 03:14 AM) *
Clearly you did not see that slick head movement that Saul displayed in the middle of the ring. And his accuracy was amazing! Plus he fought a guy within his weigh class and knocked him down. Yes Trout out pointed him and showed ring generalship throughout the fight but that Saul guy, he is the next Reddick Bowe of boxing! Mark my words!

30% connect percentage is amazing to you? And Canelo was dying after six rounds. He dropped Trout in the first 15 seconds of round 7 than got outboxed for the other 2 min and 45 seconds of that round. You guys are setting the bar a little low with Canelo arent you? And 431 total punches aint getting it done against Floyd. Thats give or take 40 punches per round for a 22 yr old with 40+ fights. Floyd jumping out of a casket walks through this kid.
checkleft
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 23 2013, 09:43 AM) *
30% connect percentage is amazing to you? And Canelo was dying after six rounds. He dropped Trout in the first 15 seconds of round 7 than got outboxed for the other 2 min and 45 seconds of that round. You guys are setting the bar a little low with Canelo arent you? And 431 total punches aint getting it done against Floyd. Thats give or take 40 punches per round for a 22 yr old with 40+ fights. Floyd jumping out of a casket walks through this kid.

Me thinks he was being sarcastic
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 23 2013, 07:38 AM) *
Me thinks he was being sarcastic

I think the Reddick Bowe comment should of given him a hint. +1
pacco_diablo
Let's take a look at Floyd's opponents over the last 10 years.

Cotto (37-2)
Ortiz (29-2-2)
Mosley (46-5)
JMM (50-4-1)
Hatton (43-0)
DLH (38-4)
Baldomire (43-9-6)
Judah (34-3)
S. Mitchell (56-4)
Gatti (39-6)
Bruseles (21-2-1)
Corely (28-2-1)
Ndou (31-1)
Sosa (35-2-2)

Outside of Hatton, who else was considered a serious threat or top P4P contender at the time of their fight? Now, let's name a few names that he should have fought over that period of time:

Pacquiao
Margarito
P. Williams
Berto

just to name a few...

Granted, most of his opposition has held titles at one point or another but by the time he fought them they had already been exposed, with the exception of Hatton.

What in Money's history shows that he's willing to fight the "current" top talent? He won't be fighting Alvarez anytime soon.

Just my opinion...
karmine20
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Apr 23 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Cotto (37-2)
Ortiz (29-2-2)
Mosley (46-5)
JMM (50-4-1)
Hatton (43-0)
DLH (38-4)
Baldomire (43-9-6)
Judah (34-3)
S. Mitchell (56-4)
Gatti (39-6)
Bruseles (21-2-1)
Corely (28-2-1)
Ndou (31-1)
Sosa (35-2-2)

Outside of Hatton, who else was considered a serious threat or top P4P contender at the time of their fight? Now, let's name a few names that he should have fought over that period of time:

Pacquiao
Margarito
P. Williams
Berto

just to name a few...

Granted, most of his opposition has held titles at one point or another but by the time he fought them they had already been exposed, with the exception of Hatton.

What in Money's history shows that he's willing to fight the "current" top talent? He won't be fighting Alvarez anytime soon.

Just my opinion...

First off i guess we are just gonna forget about Diego Corrales. Or i guess he wasnt a legitimate threat. Like they always say. people are always gonna question floyd but he is the hardest working athlete alive. nobody does three a days and i will never question him or his opposition, unlike most and especially those who have never boxed a minute in there lives let alone a round. SMH
checkleft
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Apr 23 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Cotto (37-2)
Ortiz (29-2-2)
Mosley (46-5)
JMM (50-4-1)
Hatton (43-0)
DLH (38-4)
Baldomire (43-9-6)
Judah (34-3)
S. Mitchell (56-4)
Gatti (39-6)
Bruseles (21-2-1)
Corely (28-2-1)
Ndou (31-1)
Sosa (35-2-2)

Pacquiao
Margarito
P. Williams
Berto

just to name a few...

Just my opinion...

I actually dont think hatton was one of the most threatening opponents. I agree he definitely avoided Paul Williams. But the rest of your post is subjective and your basically expressing your view as a fact that he avoided or fought people outside of their primes.

A few examples, since when has ANYBODY ever avoided Andre berto?
Margarito, pac- not happening because of promotional issues
Cotto- in his prime wouldn't have happened because of the previously stated too, also when they were under the same banner it is a known fact that the bruseles fight was a tune up for cotto, I believe cotto was even there, and after that fight they kept cotto away.
Baldomir-beat zab had one of the best years in boxing and was named fighter of the year I believe
Mosley- got called out by Floyd and didn't want it, then he destroyed marg before Floyd fought him too.
Marquez- this guy lives in the p4p discussion and he is one of the greatest Mexican fighters of all time. I don't think the weight would have made a difference in this fight and I'm a big marquez fan so I don't give him so much flac for that loss and mayweather too much credit for that win.

Everybody ducked willams tho, except serg lol
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (karmine20 @ Apr 23 2013, 03:38 PM) *
First off i guess we are just gonna forget about Diego Corrales. Or i guess he wasnt a legitimate threat. Like they always say. people are always gonna question floyd but he is the hardest working athlete alive. nobody does three a days and i will never question him or his opposition, unlike most and especially those who have never boxed a minute in there lives let alone a round. SMH

I chose my words carefully in regard to the time span that I referenced to in his career. Chico was without a doubt a legitimate and more than formidable challenge for Pretty Boy. In fact, Corales had a lot more to lose when taking that fight. That being said, that was over 10 years ago when Floyd was still building a legacy and not the point now where, for the most part, his legacy has been cemented.

As far as questioning him... those are the choices that he made in who he chose to fight. History will open the doors further on where those fighters were in their careers when he chose to face them, as well as who he chose not to fight. Floyd will be the greatest of all time when it comes to making money in the sport of boxing, relative to any time period. He should be applauded for that. I don't knock him for that. He probably would not have done that though had he not fought who he chose, when he chose to. To me it seems that is what he set out to do, or decided along the way that was more important to him. Which again is fine. I'm not hating.

To call him the hardest working athlete alive may be a stretch though. He is without a doubt one of the most skilled fighters of our generation but this is a big ass planet with a lot of athletic mother fuckers running around on it. I'm not going to herald 3 workouts a day anymore than I am the factory worker who works 100+ a week. Anyone who wants to be successful at what they do better bust their ass at it.

I'll never question his desire, ambition or skill to make money. But, I will question his desire to be one of the greatest boxers ever, which maybe he never had or wanted, honestly I dont know.

My original post was mostly to show why I don't believe he'll fight Alvarez (not yet at least), only from his history of not fighting the biggest current names. The ironic thing is that I'd put money on him to beat Alvarez. My "beef" with Floyd are all the fights that we were robbed of, which is an oxymoron because we are ultimately talking about HIS career.
JammyJam
Lol! He said Berto though! Honestly of there I one fighter I have noticed that Mayweather has been tryna whoop, it's Berto. We know the Pac and Marg stories. Everyone was volunteering Cotto but he was screaming for that fight himself. The ducking talk is old and annoying. We could sit here all day and run through a list of guys each fighter has ducked or supposedly ducked.
mrchitown
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Apr 23 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Cotto (37-2)
Ortiz (29-2-2)
Mosley (46-5)
JMM (50-4-1)
Hatton (43-0)
DLH (38-4)
Baldomire (43-9-6)
Judah (34-3)
S. Mitchell (56-4)
Gatti (39-6)
Bruseles (21-2-1)
Corely (28-2-1)
Ndou (31-1)
Sosa (35-2-2)

Pacquiao
Margarito
P. Williams
Berto

just to name a few...

Just my opinion...

Bruh, stop trollin laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 23 2013, 03:43 PM) *

+1 a million times over. So those four opponents out weigh all of May's 43 opponents?
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 23 2013, 06:43 PM) *

Hahaha
sduck
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 23 2013, 05:43 PM) *

lol when I saw Berto I said this guy can't be serious
sduck
Honestly, probably the only fighter he literally avoid was probably Paul Williams. As did everyone.
checkleft
QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 23 2013, 08:16 PM) *
Honestly, probably the only fighter he literally avoid was probably Paul Williams. As did everyone.

He was a nightmare for anyone at ww
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Apr 24 2013, 01:57 AM) *

Cotto (37-2)
Ortiz (29-2-2)
Mosley (46-5)
JMM (50-4-1)
Hatton (43-0)
DLH (38-4)
Baldomire (43-9-6)
Judah (34-3)
S. Mitchell (56-4)
Gatti (39-6)
Bruseles (21-2-1)
Corely (28-2-1)
Ndou (31-1)
Sosa (35-2-2)

Pacquiao
Margarito
P. Williams
Berto

just to name a few...

Just my opinion...

I secretly posted this, under my troll account...smile.gif
pacco_diablo
Oh Wow!!!

Posting my opinion and now I get troll status??? So everyone is supposed to believe that Money is greatest??? and if not they get labeled as a troll??? Nice! Through the years I believed that this board was a democracy, but apparently if you have anything negative to say about Money it becomes a dictatorship. That's alright though. I've never been good with the rules nor the bird in the flock kind of guy.

I didnt even dog Money. I didnt say that he sucked. I didnt say that he doesnt deserve what he has. I respect the guy, even like him to a lot of degrees. My whole point in response to the subject of this thread is that I'd have a better chance of growing an extra set of nuts before Money fights Alvarez, especially in November. And I gave my reasoning for that.

As far as Berto, the point was only to show the hot fighters at the time. Until Berto was exposed by Ortiz he was undeniably a notable upcoming fighter. I guess I didnt really take into account that Money was retired at that point. So maybe Berto wasnt the best example, but my point still stands that Money hasnt been the major "risk taker," especially when it comes to the current upcoming "star." Again, I'm not discrediting what he has done for himself or the sport, I just have a hard time seeing him in the same light that I do fighters like Andre Ward. Ironically, one of my favorite fighters off all time was often accused of the same thing, Roy Jones Jr.

As checkleft pointed out, it's subjective, but this sport is too, all the way down through the sport into the judging itself.

And yea... I have bitterness toward Floyd, but it's the same bitterness that I have for Manny and Arum. They had a chance to bring this sport back to the public forefront. They had a chance to make one the biggest events in the history of sports, and they fucking robbed us!!! All of them! Because of GREED!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 23 2013, 07:06 PM) *
+1 a million times over. So those four opponents out weigh all of May's 43 opponents?

To some degree, yes. Berto is the only question mark on the list to me. I think Pac, Williams and Margarito handle everybody on the list. Of Course Mosley was a problem for Margarito, but he would have been a very difficult opponent for May as would Williams and Pac. We say promotional issues with Pac and Margarito, I get it. But that wasn't the case with Williams. He was hot shit for about 2 years at 147. There will always be excuses when it comes to Mayweather. His fanbase will always find unique ways to defend him.
Musashi100
if that type of canelo shows up against mayweather than it easy work for mayweather. canelo can't show up 170lb against mayweather an think he can last 12 rd against him. if im mayweather im taking this kid on now instead later because he can only get stronger while mayweather gets older.
checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 11:00 AM) *
To some degree, yes. Berto is the only question mark on the list to me. I think Pac, Williams and Margarito handle everybody on the list. Of Course Mosley was a problem for Margarito, but he would have been a very difficult opponent for May as would Williams and Pac. We say promotional issues with Pac and Margarito, I get it. But that wasn't the case with Williams. He was hot shit for about 2 years at 147. There will always be excuses when it comes to Mayweather. His fanbase will always find unique ways to defend him.

My memory is a little blurry but didn't marquez give pac a little trouble too?.. just a little
pacco_diablo
are all posts being moderated? wondering why my last response to this thread didnt post?
Dolimite
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 07:00 AM) *

Manny could beat Diego Corrales? Or a prime Castillo, or even a even weight Oscar? GTFOH! Williams stands in front of people and takes punishment. doesn't have a heavy shot and from I remember Floyd retired as Williams was coming on but hey whatever. Margarito would have no chance, a slow coming head first plastered hand cheater. Let's be real. And let's not forget the weight they were at when May fought them...
mrchitown
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Apr 24 2013, 09:12 AM) *
Oh Wow!!!

Posting my opinion and now I get troll status??? So everyone is supposed to believe that Money is greatest??? and if not they get labeled as a troll??? Nice! Through the years I believed that this board was a democracy, but apparently if you have anything negative to say about Money it becomes a dictatorship. That's alright though. I've never been good with the rules nor the bird in the flock kind of guy.

I didnt even dog Money. I didnt say that he sucked. I didnt say that he doesnt deserve what he has. I respect the guy, even like him to a lot of degrees. My whole point in response to the subject of this thread is that I'd have a better chance of growing an extra set of nuts before Money fights Alvarez, especially in November. And I gave my reasoning for that.

As far as Berto, the point was only to show the hot fighters at the time. Until Berto was exposed by Ortiz he was undeniably a notable upcoming fighter. I guess I didnt really take into account that Money was retired at that point. So maybe Berto wasnt the best example, but my point still stands that Money hasnt been the major "risk taker," especially when it comes to the current upcoming "star." Again, I'm not discrediting what he has done for himself or the sport, I just have a hard time seeing him in the same light that I do fighters like Andre Ward. Ironically, one of my favorite fighters off all time was often accused of the same thing, Roy Jones Jr.

As checkleft pointed out, it's subjective, but this sport is too, all the way down through the sport into the judging itself.

And yea... I have bitterness toward Floyd, but it's the same bitterness that I have for Manny and Arum. They had a chance to bring this sport back to the public forefront. They had a chance to make one the biggest events in the history of sports, and they fucking robbed us!!! All of them! Because of GREED!

DGAF what you wrote, you played yourself when you put Berto on there. You robbed yourself of having an articulate post.

Like you said it's all subjective, but I do believe Floyd is an ATG but I don't see no fighter currently fighting or on the horizon that will ever be as good as Pep, and Sugar Ray Robinson. The rest of them spots are up for grabs
mrchitown
The only boxer that I'll say that Floyd EVER ducked was Paul Williams, that was a fight I would've loved to have seen...Williams' high punch output vs Mayweather's accuracy would've been great to watch unfold.

Now, I'll never be convinced that he ducked Margarito, people say Floyd fans this and Floyd fans that but never take into account all the facts. Now I do remember Margarito going to the gym and stepping to Floyd, that was pretty funny. But when the Margarito fight was offered to Mayweather, he had already split with Arum and TR.....remember this is when Ellerbe and Arum were doing interviews saying everything was good and they planned to work together in the future, Floyd just wanted more control over his career. But the main reason Floyd didn't fight Antonio was that when that fight presented itself, Floyd was holding out for the De La Hoya fight, and the rest as they say is history
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.