Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is anyone studying the tapes?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
Robert Uzzell: Okay Floyd, tell us about Robert Guerrero. What challenges does he bring to your son?

Floyd Mayweather: Iím gonna really be honest with you man. I havenít even taken a look at Robert Guerrero yet. But trust me. Matter of fact Iím going to take a look at him today. I was supposed to been took a look at him. A guy filled my trunk up full of tapes. He said they were in there but I never seen them. So I never seen the tapes. I donít know what happened to the tapes man. But Iím planning on going in and checking somebody and Iím gonna get some tapes and Iím gonna see whatís going on.

here's the first time:

skip to 4:35

Jovi
I know he talks a big game about not watching tapes, but i really hope he's just saying that. If he really doesn't watch tapes and truly adapts in the rings every time, then more power to him that must be tough.

I still want to see the Pacquiao fight too.
neophyte7
This is art of war (deception).. Floyd said in an article on this site that there was nothing impressive about his fight game.. labeled him just a dirty fighter. Now either he is saying that based on watching him fight life and death with Berto (people act like he had an easy fight with Berto LMAO) or he has watched enough of him to conclude there is nothing impressive in Guerrero.
Cshel86
What tha fuck was Roger even trying to say here??? I just heard a bunch of mumbo jumbo about tapes, but none of it made sense. laugh.gif
mrchitown
What am I missing? What's the point of this???...seems like some deceptive BS like what Floyd said about Robert at the final presser. In the end it won't matter.....another Cali bum will bite the dust and Ward will tweet his heart out lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 30 2013, 07:56 PM) *
This is art of war (deception).. Floyd said in an article on this site that there was nothing impressive about his fight game.. labeled him just a dirty fighter. Now either he is saying that based on watching him fight life and death with Berto (people act like he had an easy fight with Berto LMAO) or he has watched enough of him to conclude there is nothing impressive in Guerrero.

Somebody obviously watches tape because he recently said Guerrero's win over Berto wasn't impressive and he made a point to point out that Guerrero is a wrestler...seems like mind games on Team Mayweather's part. They've always said they don't watch tape on fighters
mgrover
would be a total mind fuck if Guerrero came out orthodox haha, just for like a round
Cshel86
Am I the only one who's worried about how bad Roger sounds in this video. I mean, I hear what's he's saying, but its almost like he's lost in his own thoughts and says a lot without saying anything at all...if that makes any sense.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 1 2013, 10:07 AM) *
Am I the only one who's worried about how bad Roger sounds in this video. I mean, I hear what's he's saying, but its almost like he's lost in his own thoughts and says a lot without saying anything at all...if that makes any sense.

That would be to his detriment, you never try and fight in a style that really isn't your best strength. There were a few fighters like SSM who could get in the SP (though he was an Orthodoxed fighter) and could beat another fighter using that style but I've never seen a SP get in the Orthodox style and beat or fight any fighter (especially a naturally orthodoxed one).

Floyd does study tapes regardless of what he says; any General knows that knowing your enemy is half the battle.
Franchize
I take that whole "watching tape" thing like I take Jay and Biggie not writing their rhymes. #1 We don't know how true it is. #2 Maybe Floyd is just better on the fly than coming in with a pre-conceived game plan. He's not the first fighter to say this. Some of the old school trainers say that when you have a rigid game plan, fighters become robots. Then when they get in the ring and their opponent does something they didn't plan for, they panic.
Franchize
BTW, I've been saying for over a year now man. Roger don't look good.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 1 2013, 09:49 AM) *
would be a total mind fuck if Guerrero came out orthodox haha, just for like a round

Makes sense. Roger isn't doing too well.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 1 2013, 12:23 PM) *
I take that whole "watching tape" thing like I take Jay and Biggie not writing their rhymes. #1 We don't know how true it is. #2 Maybe Floyd is just better on the fly than coming in with a pre-conceived game plan. He's not the first fighter to say this. Some of the old school trainers say that when you have a rigid game plan, fighters become robots. Then when they get in the ring and their opponent does something they didn't plan for, they panic.

Its not in Floyd's prefight routine to study tapes of fighters. His team and trainers however do and that information is used to develop a gameplan. Floyd has said.on several occasions that his team watches tapes however he doesn't.

I also don't think you need to study Guerrero to find ou what kind of fighter he is. You can see it within 2 minutes but that and studying tapes are 2 seperate things. If you're studying tape you're looking at hours of footage or at least a few fights. If you watch the last round of the Berto Guerrero fight I don't think that qualifies as studying. I think you can watch Guerrero for 10 seconds and come up with the same diagnosis Floyd did.
mgrover
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ May 1 2013, 07:59 PM) *
Makes sense. Roger isn't doing too well.

yeah erm, I think your quoting the wrong post lol
Jovi
Roger doesnt look good at all, Floyd has been saying this. You really can see how much slower he is too.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 1 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Roger doesnt look good at all, Floyd has been saying this. You really can see how much slower he is too.

i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with everyone. we don't know if that video was taken at the end of the workout or not. also...the man is a diabetic. maybe his blood sugar level is low? i understood everything he said.

if you watch the unedited version of the mitt work he did with floyd....he's still as sharp as ever. if anything...floyd is the one that looks slower to me.
dre98
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 03:58 PM) *
i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with everyone. we don't know if that video was taken at the end of the workout or not. also...the man is a diabetic. maybe his blood sugar level is low? i understood everything he said.

if you watch the unedited version of the mitt work he did with floyd....he's still as sharp as ever. if anything...floyd is the one that looks slower to me.

He seems fine to me. He seems coherent. The time where he did look sick was during the cotto fight when he almost fell going up the stairs into the ring. Diabetes definitely takes a toll on your body and his a horrible disease.
Jovi
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 03:58 PM) *

idk I didn't think too much of it either until i seen the mittwork from back then compared to today. It could also be Floyd too.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 1 2013, 05:44 PM) *
idk I didn't think too much of it either until i seen the mittwork from back then compared to today. It could also be Floyd too.

it may be a little of both. floyd is definitely not turning his shots...he hardly moves and uncle jeff seems to be the one doing all the work.
Jovi
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 06:49 PM) *
it may be a little of both. floyd is definitely not turning his shots...he hardly moves and uncle jeff seems to be the one doing all the work.

I noticed that also he wasn't turning his shots. Being flat footed. I don't see why he wouldn't have jeff doing the most physical work he seems to be the healthiest of them all.

Floyd really is getting older, its very noticeable now. Will probably make this fight closer than it should be like Cotto was.
Jovi
Just seen all access episode 4. I can't believe I'm saying this but Robert Guerrero is looking good. I take my hat off to the guy, i really didn't like him before the fight but his head is in the right place, what he said about floyd was true about being in his high position and not really being a good influence, he said better it was spot on. He's looking pretty fast too, i hope floyd has been doing something off scenes because i see the same stuff and its slower than before. But his body does seems like its bigger than before, the only good sign i got was when they showed one of Floyd's sparring partner's who could be a Super middleweight southpaw if its the right guy and he said "he was unhumanly strong" while his face looked alil swelled up.

I knew he would come back bigger and stronger, but i wasn't thinking too highly of the fight. I am a fan but i don't have the illusion that Mayweather can never lose, ANYTHING can happen in that ring. Gonna be a good fight, I'm excited. Every other big fighter this year has either been upset, or unimpressive.
Cshel86
What exactly is Jeff working with Floyd on during camp? Was he in episode 4?

I'm asking because I was watching it, but fell asleep. I totally forgot that it yesterday was Wednesday, and I had to end up catching the 1AM rerun...needless to say, I was gonna be able to hang.

It DOES seem like a bit of second-guessing in the Mayweather camp, well, according to the way Floyd is talking about the whole "I'm getting older now" stuff. Maybe this is a smokescreen like the ones that the Guerrero camp is putting out there...who knows?

Something tells me that both guys have some pace-changing stuff up their sleeves...its all about who's able to get off first.

Anybody else notice how on the fence I am about this fight??? I'm flip-flopping in every FMJ/Guerrero thread. I'm such a mess right now. laugh.gif
Jovi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 2 2013, 10:15 AM) *

I'm asking because I was watching it, but fell asleep. I totally forgot that it yesterday was Wednesday, and I had to end up catching the 1AM rerun...needless to say, I was gonna be able to hang.

It DOES seem like a bit of second-guessing in the Mayweather camp, well, according to the way Floyd is talking about the whole "I'm getting older now" stuff. Maybe this is a smokescreen like the ones that the Guerrero camp is putting out there...who knows?

Something tells me that both guys have some pace-changing stuff up their sleeves...its all about who's able to get off first.

Anybody else notice how on the fence I am about this fight??? I'm flip-flopping in every FMJ/Guerrero thread. I'm such a mess right now. laugh.gif

laugh.gif me too bro, i just ranted to my roommate how this fight is gonna be a good one and 2013 may be the year of the upset.. I even said that i wouldn't bet any money on mayweather this fight. Very bold statement.
Hotsauce
its funny how these shows changes people minds
daprofessor

u are not alone! i heard some stuff that has me rethinking everything at this point. floyd has executive producer credits on 360? that means he has access to all the footage and gets to say how the whole story gets told. i don't have a problem with him telling the story his way....but i do have a problem with him having access to all the footage. he gets to see what the guerrero camp is doing in camp. that should be classified information and it gives one side an unfair advantage...pretty much like pac/roach had for most of his run. it's kind of hard to lose when u know what the other side is planning.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 2 2013, 02:09 PM) *
u are not alone! i heard some stuff that has me rethinking everything at this point. floyd has executive producer credits on 360? that means he has access to all the footage and gets to say how the whole story gets told. i don't have a problem with him telling the story his way....but i do have a problem with him having access to all the footage. he gets to see what the guerrero camp is doing in camp. that should be classified information and it gives one side an unfair advantage...pretty much like pac/roach had for most of his run. it's kind of hard to lose when u know what the other side is planning.

yea i seen that. i don't think he had that on 24/7
sduck
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 2 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Because age is going to get to him. Just because we got Hopkins who can make it happen at those ages, doesn't mean Floyd is the same. Floyd's family I think also has a history of health problems, so it's going to happen sooner or later.
daprofessor

jeff was down in panama with one of his fighters during this camp. i think he's only helping out in the corner.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (sduck @ May 2 2013, 08:29 PM) *
Because age is going to get to him. Just because we got Hopkins who can make it happen at those ages, doesn't mean Floyd is the same. Floyd's family I think also has a history of health problems, so it's going to happen sooner or later.

Age has already gotten to him
du365
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 1 2013, 12:23 PM) *

BIG use to right rhyme and then he stopped one, all dome after that..
sduck
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 3 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Yeah but I mean, it's going to get to the point where he looks or becomes clearly beatable.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 3 2013, 08:15 PM) *

Looked like the 28 year old Mayweather against Guerrero--
Cshel86
I STILL don't understand what the hell Roger was saying in this video. LOL

He doesn't sound that bad, but damn that was a nice serving of mumbo jumbo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.