Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whispers are that Floyd vs Guerrero did less than 1 mil in ppv buys
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
karmine20
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/05/...1-million-buys/

if this is really true. do you think it was a bad move for showtime to sign that monsterous deal? I hope this is nothing but a rumor but i think there might be some truth to this. i really hope its not the case but we will find out sooner than later.
scdrking2
Honestly, it depends on why Showtime/CBS did the deal. Looking at the dominance of HBO in premium programming and ABC in the vertical integration of ABC Sports with the ESPN family and the launch of NBC Sports network, I think they are trying to stake a middle ground. Make a move on HBO in terms of premium cable market share and show a level of integration with over the air CBS and their CBS cable sports network. They are the only one with all three (premium cable, over air network and cable sports channel) but have the weakest integration and not as strong a brand. I think where they will really see a payoff is when they can leverage their over the air sports programming to sell fights. The NCAA tournament was a start, but the football season with broadcasting the SEC game of the week and NFL football will give them the platform they need to bring attention to their other sports properties. They could not really do so before, as they had nothing to sell on the other properties.
Jack 1000
I think a huge reason is that the prices are too high $60 for SD and $70 for HD. if this rumor is true,

Promoters could profit more with PPV by lowering the prices to $50. They would get more buys that way.

Jack
pimpfighterROQ
would not be surprised if this is true. Before all the hype for this fight, Guerero was a nobody. Remember how Floyd pulled that he might fight Alexander next? So the public wished the Guerero fight instead?

Plus Guerero isn't really a fighter that Mexicans would celebrate over on Cinco de Mayo weekend. The undercard without Alvarez also played here as well imo.
scdrking2
Also, this may sound crazy, but way more Black clubs were sponsoring fight parties for this and the last Floyd fight. I think Floyd fight night was killing their business for a Saturday night with all the fight parties. My understanding is that it costs over $2k for a bar to buy the fight. Many folks I know who would have either thrown or attended an in home fight party here in St. Louis attended in a lounge or club. Clubs cant afford to give away a Saturday night, so they have moved into the Mayweather fight scene. Heck, my sister had a fight party at her barbershop a few fights ago, but now her account is flagged as commercial, so.......

Of course, this is purely anecdotal.
The Original MrFactor
For all of you that said, who is Alvarez to think he calls the shots. Here's your freakin' zinger... Alvarez/Trout would have brought this PPV well over a million buys. That was a fight people wanted to see. I refused to buy Mayweather/Guerrero on its face. Guerrero was at 135, doing well. People were not that interested in Mayweather/Guerrero. Mayweathers fans were really the only ones buying into that shit because they wanted to see their Michael Jackson in another blowout. Well, I hope these numbers getr considered in the negotiations for ALvarez(if it happens). Also that $69 was kinda steep too. Wasnt Lewis/Tyson $25? How'd we get to $69 PPV's so fast??
scdrking2
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 03:21 PM) *
For all of you that said, who is Alvarez to think he calls the shots. Here's your freakin' zinger... Alvarez/Trout would have brought this PPV well over a million buys. That was a fight people wanted to see. I refused to buy Mayweather/Guerrero on its face. Guerrero was at 135, doing well. People were not that interested in Mayweather/Guerrero. Mayweathers fans were really the only ones buying into that shit because they wanted to see their Michael Jackson in another blowout. Well, I hope these numbers getr considered in the negotiations for ALvarez(if it happens). Also that $69 was kinda steep too. Wasnt Lewis/Tyson $25? How'd we get to $69 PPV's so fast??

How do you account for the much smaller subscriber base for Showtime as opposed to HBO. Huge PPV numbers are based on casual fans who are attracted by things like 24/7 and All Access. When fewer people see those infomercials for fights, you will have fewer PPV buys. That is to be expected to an extent and was called before the fight by others on the board.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 03:21 PM) *

I don't think Tyson fights were $25 Based on overall PPV averages from cable and dish systems, my memory is the following:

Tyson fights were $30 until Tyson-McNeeley, which was $40. I am pretty sure that Tyson-Lewis was $40. Tyson-Foreman was the first big deal $40 PPV. Some systems did not buy Tyson-McNeeley because of the predicted blow-out, or waited until the last minute. Over a million people (including me) got suckered into that shit. Tyson-Holyfield was $50 for both I and II. (I think $45.00 if you ordered early.) They used to take $5.00 off for early orders. Not so anymore.

I used to get PPV until we upgraded to Triple Play Services in 2007. (Cable, DVR, High Speed Internet and Phone.) We get discounted rates each year, and only play about $185 compared to others who pay about $230 for the same services. The thing is, I just didn't think that PPV is warranted anymore by having an added $60-$70 added to the bill. We have HBO, Showtime, and Sports Pass along with DVR service.

And its not like I am never going to see the fight. On-line stuff is there and its free. PPV np longer represents value anymore, regardless of the fight. $70 now, what's in five years? A $100 championship fight? Unless you have unlimited funds, where do you draw the line and say, "enough?"

Jack
daprofessor
canelo definitely would have given a significant bump to the ppv numbers. there's no denying that. mares isn't as known as canelo.
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 04:21 PM) *

And yet Alvarez still hasn't headlined his own PPV........ I do agree Avarez/Trout would have netted more PPV's, but Canelo was still in no place to dictate. FMJ had actually fought just as many 154 pounders in the last 12 months than Alvarez. Lol
PPV prices have gotten out of hand though. The only way to see a change in that is for the consumer to speak with their wallet. If Floyd Does fight Canelo I'll tip my hat to him for sure. That weight dispariTY is no joke.
mgrover
If I wanted I could pay 10 a month for box nation and I get all ppvs with that Lol

When he fought Ortiz the same thing happened that supposedly it didn't break a million PPVs and look at what happened there. Plus it's only the first fight with showtime give it another fight or two
BigFightFan
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 7 2013, 06:30 PM) *
If I wanted I could pay 10 a month for box nation and I get all ppvs with that Lol

When he fought Ortiz the same thing happened that supposedly it didn't break a million PPVs and look at what happened there. Plus it's only the first fight with showtime give it another fight or two

It doesn't matter that its the first on Showtime. Showtime promoted this fight more than HBO would have.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 7 2013, 06:30 PM) *

that's a great deal.

i just went to a local pub and watched it on a massive screen while i sipped on a pint of ale....all while being served by some very good looking waitresses. oh...the hot wings were bomb too.
Dolimite
This was Showtime's first time at the big rodeo if it didn't crack a million they will go back to the drawing board and do better. Floyd put on a masterpiece so he lived up to his end of the bargain. He even has a new attitude so if anything his next fight will do twice as good. No one expected a 5 year younger version of Mayweather. Even that uncle tom bitch ass Michael Wilbon who hates Mayweather was amazed at his performance. I think it will crack a million plus. Hell even BET showed 30 days in May. I think it did well.
checkleft

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 03:55 PM) *
canelo definitely would have given a significant bump to the ppv numbers. there's no denying that. mares isn't as known as canelo.

Which is a whole nother bad issue by itself
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 7 2013, 07:49 PM) *
This was Showtime's first time at the big rodeo if it didn't crack a million they will go back to the drawing board and do better. Floyd put on a masterpiece so he lived up to his end of the bargain. He even has a new attitude so if anything his next fight will do twice as good. No one expected a 5 year younger version of Mayweather. Even that uncle tom bitch ass Michael Wilbon who hates Mayweather was amazed at his performance. I think it will crack a million plus. Hell even BET showed 30 days in May. I think it did well.

i think i may be alone in thinking this is a good thing for boxing.

maybe they lower the price of ppv's?

maybe they do away with them totally?

ppv is not good for boxing.

bring boxing back to network tv where it belongs. to be honest....floyd vs anyone from 140-147 is not ppv worthy.

floyd vs canelo, martinez or ggg is ppv worthy.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 08:09 PM) *

bring boxing back to network tv where it belongs. to be honest....floyd vs anyone from 140-147 is not ppv worthy.

I completely agree with you. You wont be able to convince Floyd's Michael Jackson fan base. They're cool with Mayweather/Alexander at $70. If he does 700k PPV's with sub par opponents, then he's probably cool with that too. It becomes Mayweather and a series of semi-serious exhibitions.
checkleft
I still don't get all this ggg talk, he has yet to fight anyone at all.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Those are unrealistic match ups and GGG as well as Sergio are still unknown to the casual fan. If you break away from PPV that means you have to find a way to make up for that lost money. I think PPV is bullshit because it cost way to much and you may or may not get a good value on what you paid for. It is 50/50. I think you are spot on.
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 08:17 PM) *
I completely agree with you. You wont be able to convince Floyd's Michael Jackson fan base. They're cool with Mayweather/Alexander at $70. If he does 700k PPV's with sub par opponents, then he's probably cool with that too. It becomes Mayweather and a series of semi-serious exhibitions.

basically. i can't see anyone from 140-147 that will give floyd any troubles. i think he beats canelo easily at this point. i felt differently before floyd sr came back. the floyd we saw in the 3 fights prior to guerrero was ready for the taking. this new and improved floyd looks 10 yrs younger.

daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 7 2013, 08:28 PM) *
I still don't get all this ggg talk, he has yet to fight anyone at all.

quillen/ggg/martinez/geale are all champions. i have seen enough of ggg to say he beats the other champions.

floyd fighting anyone of them would be a HUGE accomplishment.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 07:56 PM) *
quillen/ggg/martinez/geale are all champions. i have seen enough of ggg to say he beats the other champions.

floyd fighting anyone of them would be a HUGE accomplishment.

Of course it would, he walks at about his fighting weight 147. So he would be in the low 150s on fight night fighting guys that on fight night would be in the mid 170s to low 180s in some cases. They probably wouldn't feel his shots ay all at that weight. But everyone's entitled to their own dream fights.

All I've seen of ggg is him stopping bute in the ams, that's the only noteworthy name I've ever seen him fight and I thought bute was winning before he got caught. And he's no rigo when it comes to his amateur pedigree so that can't be his excuse, dude needs to fight someone! Macklin will be a good start, that should be a good fight!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 7 2013, 08:49 PM) *
Those are unrealistic match ups and GGG as well as Sergio are still unknown to the casual fan. If you break away from PPV that means you have to find a way to make up for that lost money. I think PPV is bullshit because it cost way to much and you may or may not get a good value on what you paid for. It is 50/50. I think you are spot on.

once upon a time...sponsors/networks used to put up all the money for these huge fights. we could get back to that if these guys would understand how to lure that sponsorship money. all the street hood shit sells to the general public...but to the guys signing them checks, that shit is a turn off.

as for ggg and sergio being too big...i agree, they are big....but if floyd wants to prove to the public that he is the greatest of all time, he's going to have to step out of his current division to do it because there are no real challenges at 147 for him. plus i think he beats canelo at 154 fairly easily. who else is there at 154 that could possibly give floyd a hard time? at one time i thought trout would...but after seeing his performance against canelo..i'm not so sure. i can't see lara, molina, martirosyan or any one else at 154 giving him any kind of trouble at all. 160 is where the highest stakes lie. we're talking the stuff that all time greats are made of. he can retire off of something like that easily. at this point...sergio is the weakest link at 160...and honestly i've always thought floyd could beat him. with his pops back in his corner...i'm even more convinced.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 7 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Of course it would, he walks at about his fighting weight 147. So he would be in the low 150s on fight night fighting guys that on fight night would be in the mid 170s to low 180s in some cases. They probably wouldn't feel his shots ay all at that weight. But everyone's entitled to their own dream fights.

All I've seen of ggg is him stopping bute in the ams, that's the only noteworthy name I've ever seen him fight and I thought bute was winning before he got caught. And he's no rigo when it comes to his amateur pedigree so that can't be his excuse, dude needs to fight someone! Macklin will be a good start, that should be a good fight!

beating the ouma's and rosado's of the world aren't goint to help everyone understand what it is he brings to the table. i get that. as his management steps up his opposition...u'll see.

i've already said, and i stand by it...i think ggg beats everyone at 160. it's going to start with macklin.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 07:09 PM) *

I don't think at least from the customers viewpoint PPV is good for boxing at all. GGG is only known to hardcore boxing fans. Martinez who got dropped at should have lost to Murray, that's not PPV. Only Alvarez might be because he is a draw to the Latino and Mexican/Mexican American populations. Latino and Hispanic based populations are huge PPV markets. Arum and Delahoya have known this for years. Floyd needs a big name money maker to do well in the numbers. He can't dance alone and do a great PPV. Only hardcore boxing fans knew who Robert Guerrero was. That and $60-$70 for a fight where Floyd was expected to dominate easily and did so, are not strong indicators of PPV success.

The price has to be lower, much lower, and maybe Floyd and his team could look at bringing some fights to regular Showtime. Let's face it. Remember that six fight deal list? Was Alvarez even on that list? He's the only good opponent that's going to make money as a PPV.

If not Canelo, Floyd could just retire. I mean who the fuck is gonna pay $60-$70 to watch Mayweather fight Khan, (except the Brits who don't know any better?) But Spadafora? Devon Alexander? Even hard-core Mayweather fans are going to have a hard time with anybody on that list. There's just nobody good enough, outside of maybe Canelo who could give Floyd a good fight. To hang around just to stay busy when the competition isn't there. Why? There's no big dollars there. Like Floyd even said, "If it makes dollars, it makes sense." Take away Canelo there's no opponents that make sense. That's not Floyd's fault, it's just the way it is with this deal.

Jack
Jack 1000
I added to the topic also inquiring on any figures for the closed-circuit, (a.k.a movie theater sales?) Who payed $15-$20 for the tickets? How was the attendance and atmosphere overall?

Jack
leonthegee
Dont you guys think its odd that this story broke the same time Pacquiao vs Rios was announced? Instead of Steve Kim they use Fat Dan. Ill wait for the offical numbers.
mitukczuk
Since Floyd gets another guaranteed 32 milion MINIMUM, I don't think the PPV numbers are that much important.

I agree with professor - if it didnt sell over 1 mil, maybe the prices drop.

However, I think it did....I remember that after the fight with Ortiz people were screaming 800,000 PPV buys....yeah right.

I'm expecting 1,1mil buys....and if it doesn't make over 1 mil....I still don't care biggrin.gif Forbes has already its winner for 2013...by far.
mrchitown
I'll wait for the official numbers but if it doesn't crack a mili then Floyd is going to have to change his game plan up and get those buys up. This is just a rumor so I'll wait for official numbers but is it really surprising that it might not crack a mil? Guerrero is not known at all.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out, on one hand I hope it does crack a mil so these people who keep claiming to be fans of Boxing but are really Mayweather hunters can STFU. But on the other hand, if it doesn't reach a mil maybe we will finally see a change in the landscape as far as how these fights are broadcasted...Floyd is a boss and say what you want the guy is innovative. He can enhance his legacy even more by helping to usher in a new system in Boxing and do away with PPV's
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 12:45 AM) *
that's a great deal.

i just went to a local pub and watched it on a massive screen while i sipped on a pint of ale....all while being served by some very good looking waitresses. oh...the hot wings were bomb too.

that was me for the Khan fight
Jovi
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 09:09 PM) *
beating the ouma's and rosado's of the world aren't goint to help everyone understand what it is he brings to the table. i get that. as his management steps up his opposition...u'll see.

i've already said, and i stand by it...i think ggg beats everyone at 160. it's going to start with macklin.

I agree
Jovi
I don't see how less than 1 mill ppv is bad. At this day and age, aint nobody putting up whatever numbers a Mayweather fight against a subpar opponent. Ill take Mayweather/Guerrero over a Pacquiao/Clottey anyday haha. Wasn't Guerrero a Mandatory? and this was Mayweather's comeback fight. I think he scored well in all categories even his personality seems much more humbling. He let Broner take on the shenanigans. Hopefully anticipation builds up as each fight goes.

They did force it with the 70$ HD ppv. The only way i see ppv's is if I'm with my fam, but usually I'm on the live stream, times are rough out here. Its free, I'm a fan of Mayweather's skills, I love boxing. But this is the digital age and we gotta use our resources. I know that since i've been streaming and people have seen me that since then they have also streamed so its only growing.

If canelo was on the card then no doubt over 1 mill. I think even Broner on the undercard would've done better numbers. Could've been more attention for the fight too but hopefully Shotime and Mayweather learn from this, it was still a great night.

I blame it mostly on Guerrero, the 70$ppv thumbsdown_anim.gif , and evolution.

Tha Docta
only problem with less than a million PPV buys is that showtime needed 1.3 million PPV buys to break even.

i streamed the fight, but i probably would have purchased it if it were only 50$. i think the pricing and floyds choice of opponent really hurt the PPV sales. he can make up for this if he fights canelo next though. but im not holding my breath.
Cshel86
Cshel reads, "Whispers are that Floyd..."

Leaves thread
JammyJam
Throws Broner on his ppvs problem solved.
mgrover
I seriously don't get how Broner, or GGG can be expected to actually be PPV worthy, tbh not many have been. GGG is hardly known, and Broner, he needs to take care of Paulie first.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2013, 02:25 PM) *
I seriously don't get how Broner, or GGG can be expected to actually be PPV worthy, tbh not many have been. GGG is hardly known, and Broner, he needs to take care of Paulie first.

+1

Jack
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 8 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Leaves thread

My sentiments exactly.
Marcus
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 8 2013, 10:12 AM) *
I don't see how less than 1 mill ppv is bad. At this day and age, aint nobody putting up whatever numbers a Mayweather fight against a subpar opponent. Ill take Mayweather/Guerrero over a Pacquiao/Clottey anyday haha. Wasn't Guerrero a Mandatory? and this was Mayweather's comeback fight. I think he scored well in all categories even his personality seems much more humbling. He let Broner take on the shenanigans. Hopefully anticipation builds up as each fight goes.

They did force it with the 70$ HD ppv. The only way i see ppv's is if I'm with my fam, but usually I'm on the live stream, times are rough out here. Its free, I'm a fan of Mayweather's skills, I love boxing. But this is the digital age and we gotta use our resources. I know that since i've been streaming and people have seen me that since then they have also streamed so its only growing.

If canelo was on the card then no doubt over 1 mill. I think even Broner on the undercard would've done better numbers. Could've been more attention for the fight too but hopefully Shotime and Mayweather learn from this, it was still a great night.

(Admin Note. Stream request removed)
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Marcus @ May 8 2013, 05:15 PM) *
Bro what website do you stream on?

(Admin Note: No public streams on the forum are permitted. Please send PM's and only PM's for streaming information. We have to delete any public streams because we have had instances with promoters and sponsors taking away our accreditation if they see unauthorized streams. We have to delete all public stream URL's for this reason. URL Streams may only be done through email or PM!)

Jack

Administrator
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ May 8 2013, 12:28 AM) *
Dont you guys think its odd that this story broke the same time Pacquiao vs Rios was announced? Instead of Steve Kim they use Fat Dan. Ill wait for the offical numbers.

interesting observation...but i don't see how that benefits them.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2013, 08:36 AM) *
that was me for the Khan fight

someone sent me the link of him getting dropped. i saw the fight...not the whole fight...on youtube.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 8 2013, 10:12 AM) *

yes...guerrero was the mandatory. he didn't set the ppv price. he didn't line up the undercard. how is it his fault? laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2013, 03:25 PM) *

with the opposition that ggg has in front of him...and his style...he's going to be an attraction very soon.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 8 2013, 01:15 PM) *

Leaves thread

Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 09:59 PM) *

While you're fuckin' around...George Michael is my dude! laugh.gif

One of my favorite cuts...

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 8 2013, 10:54 PM) *

Afraid to ask, how we got here...
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 8 2013, 06:54 PM) *

Dude that is my song! I played that to my ex stripper girlfriend, such great memories. I like Freedom and I Want Your Sex.
xxxxxx
The fight will tally near or around the Marquez fight which would be considered a success. The only PPV's that would get near the 2 million mark would be Mayweather vs Paquiao, Canelo, Broner or Martinez.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 9 2013, 12:46 AM) *
with the opposition that ggg has in front of him...and his style...he's going to be an attraction very soon.

If GGG cleans out what's infront of him, people will be looking for him to move up, and then Mayweather definitely won't fight him. But unfortunately he is not yet a PPV attraction and I don't think he will be. I mean we all remember how Hopkins beat DLH and didn't become a big attraction, neither did Mosley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.