Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whispers are that Floyd vs Guerrero did less than 1 mil in ppv buys
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 8 2013, 10:54 PM) *
While you're fuckin' around...George Michael is my dude! laugh.gif

One of my favorite cuts...

that was a cut though. i can't front. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 9 2013, 12:18 PM) *
Dude that is my song! I played that to my ex stripper girlfriend, such great memories. I like Freedom and I Want Your Sex.

freedom was my shit too!

daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 9 2013, 01:13 PM) *
If GGG cleans out what's infront of him, people will be looking for him to move up, and then Mayweather definitely won't fight him. But unfortunately he is not yet a PPV attraction and I don't think he will be. I mean we all remember how Hopkins beat DLH and didn't become a big attraction, neither did Mosley

if ggg can unify in the next 2 yrs...a fight with ward will be on the horizon and will be huge if both remain undefeated.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 10 2013, 12:57 AM) *
if ggg can unify in the next 2 yrs...a fight with ward will be on the horizon and will be huge if both remain undefeated.

That's the thing, there going to keep moving up, Ward can probably make it to Cruiserweight, a dead division but soon he'll move up to light heavy after a rematch with either Kessler or Froch. How far can GGG really keep moving up? He's not the biggest of middleweights as it is.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 9 2013, 07:59 PM) *
That's the thing, there going to keep moving up, Ward can probably make it to Cruiserweight, a dead division but soon he'll move up to light heavy after a rematch with either Kessler or Froch. How far can GGG really keep moving up? He's not the biggest of middleweights as it is.

he's already said he's willing to fight at 168 and his ppl also called out bhop after he beat cloud.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 9 2013, 12:18 PM) *
Dude that is my song! I played that to my ex stripper girlfriend, such great memories. I like Freedom and I Want Your Sex.

not big on remakes...but they did this one justice.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 10 2013, 01:01 AM) *
he's already said he's willing to fight at 168 and his ppl also called out bhop after he beat cloud.

Bhop said he wanted it so we'll see
mrchitown
Schaefer claims the PPV numbers will be out today and that they probably will be a mili
MaxPayne
For Floyd, it doesn't really matter. He'll make his $30 + million base + % of PPV revenue (and other revenue streams) that is going to give him anywhere from $50 million to $70 million per fight, regardless of opponent.

For Showtime though, heads are going to roll.

I'm going to turn into a corporate tool for a few moments here:

With Pacquiao's devastating KO loss. the entire boxing "market" was shaken up, in a bad way, as far as overall valuation is concerned. The idea that Pacquiao was a mythical figure who would supposedly knock the loud-mouthed, cocky black man called Mayweather was enough to draw in a sea of "casuals".

These "casuals", reviled as they are by hardcore boxing fans, are critical for pushing PPV buys past the 750,000 and 1 million buy rates. It simply doesn't happen without them, especially in the era of livestreaming practically anything.

The deal that was given to Floyd was based off a boxing "market valuation" that assumed that nothing would change post Pacquiao KO loss to Marquez. This was a horrific mistake from an analysis standpoint.

Yes, it's possible that Pacquiao will go on a string of KO victories, but his sheen of invincibility has been removed. Ergo, the genuine hope that people had that this was the guy who could beat Mayweather is largely gone.

With that, it's back to the days of sub 1 million PPV buys for all but a few PPV fights.

Floyd Mayweather alone cannot sell a PPV fight. He needs a dance partner who is of a different race and has a style that is crowd-friendly. Floyd isn't a knockout artist. He's not someone who inspires fear. He's a skilled technician.

What also doesn't help is his new, lower key persona. People don't want to watch this version of Floyd where he's essentially caught the Holy Ghost.

People need to hate him to buy PPV's that he is on. They want to see him coon and wild out. They want to see him flashing the bling, going to strip clubs, being loud and brash and being every single caricature or stereotype that is out there as far as black men go. That's what feeds the hate and that's what ultimately fuels PPV buys.

But Floyd won't do that, and neither does he have to. So with the exception of Canelo, expect PPV buy figures that are much lower than what we've seen historically. It's the new reality.
mgrover
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ May 10 2013, 06:54 AM) *
For Floyd, it doesn't really matter. He'll make his $30 + million base + % of PPV revenue (and other revenue streams) that is going to give him anywhere from $50 million to $70 million per fight, regardless of opponent.

For Showtime though, heads are going to roll.

I'm going to turn into a corporate tool for a few moments here:

With Pacquiao's devastating KO loss. the entire boxing "market" was shaken up, in a bad way, as far as overall valuation is concerned. The idea that Pacquiao was a mythical figure who would supposedly knock the loud-mouthed, cocky black man called Mayweather was enough to draw in a sea of "casuals".

These "casuals", reviled as they are by hardcore boxing fans, are critical for pushing PPV buys past the 750,000 and 1 million buy rates. It simply doesn't happen without them, especially in the era of livestreaming practically anything.

The deal that was given to Floyd was based off a boxing "market valuation" that assumed that nothing would change post Pacquiao KO loss to Marquez. This was a horrific mistake from an analysis standpoint.

Yes, it's possible that Pacquiao will go on a string of KO victories, but his sheen of invincibility has been removed. Ergo, the genuine hope that people had that this was the guy who could beat Mayweather is largely gone.

With that, it's back to the days of sub 1 million PPV buys for all but a few PPV fights.

Floyd Mayweather alone cannot sell a PPV fight. He needs a dance partner who is of a different race and has a style that is crowd-friendly. Floyd isn't a knockout artist. He's not someone who inspires fear. He's a skilled technician.

What also doesn't help is his new, lower key persona. People don't want to watch this version of Floyd where he's essentially caught the Holy Ghost.

People need to hate him to buy PPV's that he is on. They want to see him coon and wild out. They want to see him flashing the bling, going to strip clubs, being loud and brash and being every single caricature or stereotype that is out there as far as black men go. That's what feeds the hate and that's what ultimately fuels PPV buys.

But Floyd won't do that, and neither does he have to. So with the exception of Canelo, expect PPV buy figures that are much lower than what we've seen historically. It's the new reality.

this more or less says defines the current situation to a T
neophyte7
1 million PPV sold... Alvarez better get ready for a rehydration clause... He has had size advantages in weight fighting midgets aside from Trout-- now his fat ass will have to concede... even with a weight advantage the Floyd we saw against Guerrero easily beats red
Hops
300,000 short.

Why would Canelo give in to any shitty clauses when he now knows that he can afford not to fight Floyd and instead continuously build up his own fan base.
Franchize
Canelo is going to end up fighting Cotto. That's my prediction.
scdrking2
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 10 2013, 07:18 AM) *
1 million PPV sold... Alvarez better get ready for a rehydration clause... He has had size advantages in weight fighting midgets aside from Trout-- now his fat ass will have to concede... even with a weight advantage the Floyd we saw against Guerrero easily beats red

I am now of the thinking that if Floyd wants to fight Canelo, dont add the hydration clause. Canelo has stamina issues and we now see that Floyd still has great reflexes and legs. Canelo will probably think coming in as big as possible is his advantage. After he has to chase Floyd for a few rounds blown up as big as possible, Floyd can work his ass from rounds 5-12.
Franchize
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 10 2013, 09:22 AM) *
I am now of the thinking that if Floyd wants to fight Canelo, dont add the hydration clause. Canelo has stamina issues and we now see that Floyd still has great reflexes and legs. Canelo will probably think coming in as big as possible is his advantage. After he has to chase Floyd for a few rounds blown up as big as possible, Floyd can work his ass from rounds 5-12.

I don't think he necessarily will be "coming in big". He's a big dude. He really shouldn't even be fighting at 154. I think if you let a guy who's probably best at 165-170, rehydrate to whatever he wants, you're asking to take on a lot of wear and tear in that fight.
Cshel86
Canelo who???
Hops
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 10 2013, 02:26 PM) *
Canelo who???

An unknown boxer that Neophyte7 is telling Floyd to include a rehydration clause in case they fight.
Hops
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 10 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Canelo is going to end up fighting Cotto. That's my prediction.

This. Canelo can afford not to fight Floyd.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hops @ May 10 2013, 10:34 AM) *
An unknown boxer that Neophyte7 is telling Floyd to include a rehydration clause in case they fight.

Does that chap your buns?
Musashi100
they do this shit every year with mayweather numbers. And i ain't talking about fighters we know he will do numbers with.
scdrking2
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 10 2013, 08:44 AM) *
I don't think he necessarily will be "coming in big". He's a big dude. He really shouldn't even be fighting at 154. I think if you let a guy who's probably best at 165-170, rehydrate to whatever he wants, you're asking to take on a lot of wear and tear in that fight.

I know Canelo is still young and has strong recouperative abilities, but the drying out and rehydrating process will take something out of him versus him only gaining a few pounds on fight night. He only fights in spurts against guys who are not as athletic and defensive as Floyd. Trout has good movement, but sans being in Tejas, if he would have thrown a bit more he would have won that fight. I know many thought he may have won anyway, but it was close and could have went either way.
neophyte7
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 10 2013, 09:22 AM) *

Yeap.. I am sure Sr would craft a strategy right behind what you describe. Based on what I saw last week from Floyd Canelo could get whipped up worse than Guerrero...he is a conventional style fighter... easier for Floyd
Dolimite
Well we know that he did do over a million buys but after reading some comments on other message boards; the numbers are a lie and the full spin is in.
daprofessor
"those numbers better be right!!! i'm anticipating my check from the ppv sales!!!" said no one on this board or any other ever... laugh.gif
checkleft
Ticket sales came in at 9.9 mill gross. So it wasn't a sell out
betii
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 10 2013, 06:47 PM) *
Ticket sales came in at 9.9 mill gross. So it wasn't a sell out

Not for nothing, but Showtime/CBS removed a giant section of seating in order to create a VIP area for network execs....that might have had a little something to do with the numbers.
mrchitown
QUOTE (betii @ May 10 2013, 11:08 PM) *
Not for nothing, but Showtime/CBS removed a giant section of seating in order to create a VIP area for network execs....that might have had a little something to do with the numbers.

I highly doubt that had anything to do with it. The attendance didn't even crack 16 thousand, and many people were complaining leading up to the fight how it had ZERO buzz. Guerrero did NOT connect with the people the way GB and Team Mayweather thought he would

I looked around the arena and kept saying to myself that it would fill up and it really never did, plus you have to factor in those dreaded re-sellers. Aint nobody in they right mind going to pay $250 for seats way up in the MGM to see Guerrero fight. I got my tix the moment they came out and that's how I always do, those re-seller dealers will bleed you dry
Franchize
I knew there was somewhat of a shortcoming as far as Guerrero's popularity when Floyd didn't get booed. Floyd even said, on an interview in NYC, that while he sees Guerrero as a more than worthy opponent, he was basically carrying the sales himself because Guerrero isn't a household name. Floyd almost always gets a shit load of boos. He really couldn't play the villain role this time because nobody saw Guerrero as a real hero.
Jack 1000
Showtime head Steve Espinoza says the fight will do "plus or minus" one million buys. Official figures to be announced in the next few weeks:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/boxing/mayw...iJXSofRCljuJ8oJ

Source: New York Post.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.