Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prediction Thread: Who is next for Mayweather?(Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
KOpower
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2013, 12:44 AM) *
If this is your idea of a joke, then spare us all the agony.

Thanks

Hey, I don't want Floyd vs Malinaggi but it would be so bad that it would turn funny. That would be a terrible fight and I can't imagine a win over a 135 pound Broner would be enough to warrant that fight for Paulie. I watched Paulie get absolutely thrashed by Amir Khan.
Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ May 11 2013, 12:55 AM) *
Hey, I don't want Floyd vs Malinaggi but it would be so bad that it would turn funny. That would be a terrible fight and I can't imagine a win over a 135 pound Broner would be enough to warrant that fight for Paulie. I watched Paulie get absolutely thrashed by Amir Khan.

Man just STFU

As many dumb casual fans as there are out there (present company excluded), they "THINK" that Broner is the "next Mayweather", so Paulie beating him, would definitely call for a Floyd fight, depending on how they decide to promote it, and whether or not Floyd wanted to take the fight.

What if Guerrero/Broner would've happened, and Guerrero would've beaten him, then what? Dont you think that the general public (translation: dumb ass casual fans) would've "demanded" Floyd vs Guerrero???

If Floyd considered Paulie back in '09 with less than nothing to bring to the table, then he'll take him after a Broner win (possibly). Believe me, if JMM wasn't under a TR contract, then Floyd would've been fighting him last weekend, rather than Guerrero.

At this point, I dont see Floyd taking any super risky fights before he retires, so get it out of your wet dreams in regards to hoping that he loses. Again, I take zero pleasure in saying that Floyd retires undefeated, but that's what it's looking like.

With that in mind, just stick your fantasy fight list up your ass...as if there isn't enough foreign objects up in there as we speak.
mrchitown
i doubt that Canelo gets Mayweather next, I do believe Floyd will fight him but that will be down the line. I saw some stadium or arena being built in Vegas when I was there and it's being built by some people from the MGM and I think some other hotels, I wouldn't be surprised if this fight didn't happen until that arena is built. The fight is big enough and that new arena will be have one helluva kick off event if the fight happened then
ft280t
Floyd fights Canelo next he always denies his opponents before he fought Guerrero he said it was Alexander. Anyone think all these long lay offs and then recently sparring with 160 or 165 ponders mean Floyds movin up in weight. You aint gonna spar guys that size for a guy movin up divisions like Guerrero. Man imagine he does win a title at middleweight or somethin nobody could knock his legacy still all time great tho
Jovi
Like what someone said earlier, Canelo looks like the toughest fight but still an easy fight for floyd. I was bitchen for Floyd to make a Catchweight clause just because he can, and show Canelo that he don't call shit. But even without Canelo is going to attend Mayweather university. Mayweather always puts in work the first 4 rounds then turns it down a notch and just starts picking apart. By this time Canelo will probably be tired. He has a good punchers chance though

And as much as i know Cshel hates to admit it, it does look like Mayweather will Retire undefeated.

The way it should be haha fuck.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 11 2013, 05:30 AM) *
i doubt that Canelo gets Mayweather next, I do believe Floyd will fight him but that will be down the line. I saw some stadium or arena being built in Vegas when I was there and it's being built by some people from the MGM and I think some other hotels, I wouldn't be surprised if this fight didn't happen until that arena is built. The fight is big enough and that new arena will be have one helluva kick off event if the fight happened then

This, I believe.

He will fight him down the line, besides, if Canelo is this big prize fight, then why are people rushing it? If he fights his biggest fight in September, then what? Well, it can go two ways...people wont care about his upcoming fights after Canelo, or they could very well care enough to make sure he cracks a million buys like he for the Guerrero fight.

With that in mind, fans cant complain if he decides to wait to fight him. Who would that actually be hurting? If my memory serves me correctly, that would mean that Floyd would be getting older and older, while Canelo would still be in his prime.

Hopefully that new stadium that they're building is a super-sized Bunny Ranch! They dont need any more stadiums and shit out there. Lol
KOpower
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2013, 01:34 AM) *
Man just STFU

As many dumb casual fans as there are out there (present company excluded), they "THINK" that Broner is the "next Mayweather", so Paulie beating him, would definitely call for a Floyd fight, depending on how they decide to promote it, and whether or not Floyd wanted to take the fight.

What if Guerrero/Broner would've happened, and Guerrero would've beaten him, then what? Dont you think that the general public (translation: dumb ass casual fans) would've "demanded" Floyd vs Guerrero???

If Floyd considered Paulie back in '09 with less than nothing to bring to the table, then he'll take him after a Broner win (possibly). Believe me, if JMM wasn't under a TR contract, then Floyd would've been fighting him last weekend, rather than Guerrero.

At this point, I dont see Floyd taking any super risky fights before he retires, so get it out of your wet dreams in regards to hoping that he loses. Again, I take zero pleasure in saying that Floyd retires undefeated, but that's what it's looking like.

With that in mind, just stick your fantasy fight list up your ass...as if there isn't enough foreign objects up in there as we speak.

Nobody is going to demand a Floyd Mayweather-Paulie Malignaggi fight. I can't believe you are trying to argue this. Floyd-Malignaggi is a terrible fight. It is a J-O-K-E of a fight. The good news is that it won't happen. Broner will beat Paulie. Even if Paulie wins, it STILL won't happen. Nobody is paying $70 to watch Paulie get abused by Mayweather and I can't imagine Showtime gives that fight the OK.

Like I said, I watched Amir Khan beat the tar out of Paulie. If Paulie wants Mayweather, he needs to beat Broner and then beat Khan in a rematch at 147. Isn't that "the way boxing works"?
Jack 1000
Let's do some hypotheticals:

How much more money, or less money would Floyd have made if they would have put a potential PPV fight on regular Showtime, or even Commercial TV (CBS?)

Will the powers that be perhaps consider any alternatives to PPV, for Floyd, because none of the remaining discussed opponents (except Alvarez) are PPV worthy?

How did closed-circuit theater sales do for Mayweather-Guerrero?

How do we know that the release numbers are not inflated by Mayweather Productions/Golden Boy?

Jack
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 10 2013, 04:08 PM) *
this moment reminds me of when cotto beat mosley....and floyd beat hatton. it made all the sense in the world for floyd to fight cotto at that point. it was the perfect build up to that fight and it never happened. that was 2007.

fast forward to 2013...present day...

canelo fights on his own show separate from floyd and takes on a tough challenge in austin trout. whether you thought he won or loss is irrelevant. the overwhelming majority believe he won that fight and earned a shot at floyd.

don't fool yourselves. floyd is not fighting canelo next if ever. if floyd fights canelo next....where does he go from there? canelo is the biggest name out there for him. it makes no sense for him to fight canelo now.

Well floyd is getting older. So maybe he wants to fight him now?
Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ May 11 2013, 03:02 PM) *
Nobody is going to demand a Floyd Mayweather-Paulie Malignaggi fight. I can't believe you are trying to argue this. Floyd-Malignaggi is a terrible fight. It is a J-O-K-E of a fight. The good news is that it won't happen. Broner will beat Paulie. Even if Paulie wins, it STILL won't happen. Nobody is paying $70 to watch Paulie get abused by Mayweather and I can't imagine Showtime gives that fight the OK.

Like I said, I watched Amir Khan beat the tar out of Paulie. If Paulie wants Mayweather, he needs to beat Broner and then beat Khan in a rematch at 147. Isn't that "the way boxing works"?

When you over a million people just paid $70 for Mayweather/Guerrero and nobody had a clue who Guerrero was, you cant tell me that Showtime wont give Mayweather/Malignaggi the nod...ESPECIALLY if Paulie beats Broner in jaw-dropping fashion.

NOW, am I saying that Paulie will beat Broner? Who knows. If he beats Broner, then who gives a shit about Khan? A Broner victory would the upset of the year in Paulie's case. Everybody's been seeing this Mayweather clone who happens to be more aggressive than Floyd, to the casual fan, they'll only wonder if Paulie can do the same to Mayweather.

Oh yes buddy, I'm arguing this whole Malignaggi/Mayweather stuff, believe it. The only reason that I'm arguing it, is because you're entertaining it, rather than shutting the F up like I asked to to do earlier. You post like a retarded casual fan, but you damn sure don't think like one. Good luck
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2013, 12:41 PM) *
This, I believe.

He will fight him down the line, besides, if Canelo is this big prize fight, then why are people rushing it? If he fights his biggest fight in September, then what? Well, it can go two ways...people wont care about his upcoming fights after Canelo, or they could very well care enough to make sure he cracks a million buys like he for the Guerrero fight.

With that in mind, fans cant complain if he decides to wait to fight him. Who would that actually be hurting? If my memory serves me correctly, that would mean that Floyd would be getting older and older, while Canelo would still be in his prime.

Hopefully that new stadium that they're building is a super-sized Bunny Ranch! They dont need any more stadiums and shit out there. Lol

If the fight takes place in September I'd be shocked but I won't complain as I really want to see how both deal with the other's strength and weaknesses.

But like you said, if they fight in September, what's next for Mayweather?? I'm sure there will be another opponent that's seen as a threat to him but who would be the one to challenge him and pull in the numbers?

They really don't but we both know it's all about the dollars out there lol
Jack 1000
In my view,

Can't bring Malinaggi into the mix yet until he beats Broner. And I don't think he beats Broner. Malinaggi can't crack scrambled eggs, so all of this with Broner moving up, makes him look better than he probably is, at least we won't have to hear Lamply and see him with the pom-poms anymore.

Broner will win a close but UD over Malinaggi. The fight that really should be added to possibilities is Broner-Mayweather.

Jack
Franchize
I can't see either Broner or Malinaggi fighting Floyd. Broner is obsessed with Floyd and Malinaggi has all but said Floyd is the greatest fighter of our generation. He has a tremendous amount of respect for Floyd and in an interview with Elie Seckbach, he all but said I have no fucking chance vs Floyd.
mrchitown
The Broner vs Mayweather stuff needs to stop. How many times does someone have to publicly say it's not going to happen before it gets through the fans heads? Broner has said he would never fight Floyd so many times yet people still bring it up. Let it go, it's not going to happen
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 12 2013, 04:58 PM) *
In my view,

Can't bring Malinaggi into the mix yet until he beats Broner. And I don't think he beats Broner. Malinaggi can't crack scrambled eggs, so all of this with Broner moving up, makes him look better than he probably is, at least we won't have to hear Lamply and see him with the pom-poms anymore.

Broner will win a close but UD over Malinaggi. The fight that really should be added to possibilities is Broner-Mayweather.

Jack

Damn that's cold laugh.gif
Col Reb
Looking at the rankings, I'd say Khan makes the most business sense, but I could see Garcia getting the nod. I wish we'd see Floyd try to win a MW belt. I'd love to see him fight Canelo next spring and then GGG or Martinez next fall for the MW title.

On a side note, would it even be possible for Andre Ward to get down to 160 for a superfight with Floyd?
Franchize
QUOTE (Col Reb @ May 13 2013, 01:45 AM) *
Looking at the rankings, I'd say Khan makes the most business sense, but I could see Garcia getting the nod. I wish we'd see Floyd try to win a MW belt. I'd love to see him fight Canelo next spring and then GGG or Martinez next fall for the MW title.

On a side note, would it even be possible for Andre Ward to get down to 160 for a superfight with Floyd?

I'd lose a lot of respect for Andre Ward if he did that. I'd lose even more respect for him if he lost.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Col Reb @ May 12 2013, 09:45 PM) *

Unlike other welter weights of the past, Floyd can not put on that much weight. He would be at a disadvantage. Let's be real,he is a skilled fighter no doubt but taking a punch from either of those guys is lights out for Floyd. This is ridiculous to even state. Martinez looked like shit in his last fight and I think age has caught up with him, his long lay off hurt him rather than helped him. By the way, the training he did in his hotel room is a testament on where his heart and head is at.

GGG? Fucking serious dude, come on now. Ward would be a punk for fighting a welter weight. Why not put Pascal on Chad Dawson on that list as well. He is a welter weight fighter and yes he fought at 154 true, but those fights were far between each other. Saul isn't a gifted fighter as people make him seem to be but he still is a BIG jr. middle weight weight fighter, let's be real. Canelo needs to fight Kirkland (who called him out), Lara, and a slew of other 154 fighters who have called him out. One fight at 154 and a very close decision does not make you king of the hill. Clear out your division first then talk shit.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 16 2013, 07:23 AM) *
Unlike other welter weights of the past, Floyd can not put on that much weight. He would be at a disadvantage. Let's be real,he is a skilled fighter no doubt but taking a punch from either of those guys is lights out for Floyd. This is ridiculous to even state. Martinez looked like shit in his last fight and I think age has caught up with him, his long lay off hurt him rather than helped him. By the way, the training he did in his hotel room is a testament on where his heart and head is at.

GGG? Fucking serious dude, come on now. Ward would be a punk for fighting a welter weight. Why not put Pascal on Chad Dawson on that list as well. He is a welter weight fighter and yes he fought at 154 true, but those fights were far between each other. Saul isn't a gifted fighter as people make him seem to be but he still is a BIG jr. middle weight weight fighter, let's be real. Canelo needs to fight Kirkland (who called him out), Lara, and a slew of other 154 fighters who have called him out. One fight at 154 and a very close decision does not make you king of the hill. Clear out your division first then talk shit.

I've been saying it for years now.

Clear out YOUR division then talk about other options
neophyte7
When Broner struggles with Malignaggi.. afterwards I hope he keeps his slave mentality nasty stripper coochie eating mouth shut---
Hotsauce
after watching these fights, mayweather has plenty of opponents.

it should be mayweather/canelo at 154, garcia/matthysse at 140 and khan/alexander at 147.
Dolimite
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 17 2013, 05:27 AM) *
When Broner struggles with Malignaggi.. afterwards I hope he keeps his slave mentality nasty stripper coochie eating mouth shut---

Broner should be in camp, its like he is at every fight. He is talented but has 0 discipline. He is going to take a L early in his career for his lack of discipline. I like Paulie and I am pulling for him in this fight. I am.
mrchitown
Fat Dan is at it again, he sent out more tweets the other day and now he is saying that his "industry sources" tell him that the Mayweather-Guerrero PPV did only 870k and that it will fall well short of hitting a Mili..he went on about how he's known these people for years and they swear on their children that's the actual numbers blah blah blah

So let's say those are the actual numbers. How do you guys think this changes Mayweather's and Showtime's thought process going forward and in regards to his next fight?
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 19 2013, 10:33 PM) *
Fat Dan is at it again, he sent out more tweets the other day and now he is saying that his "industry sources" tell him that the Mayweather-Guerrero PPV did only 870k and that it will fall well short of hitting a Mili..he went on about how he's known these people for years and they swear on their children that's the actual numbers blah blah blah

So let's say those are the actual numbers. How do you guys think this changes Mayweather's and Showtime's thought process going forward and in regards to his next fight?

My best friends, mothers, step fathers, dog told me that the PPV did 1.1 million but yano not to brag lol.

Realistically if they were the numbers ah damn lol, Floyd still gets his 32 million and a cut of the PPV.
hitman
floyd should fight canelo in september. then matthysse/garcia winner in may. if cotto gets back on the winning track, you got cotto II next september. those fights would sell well.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 19 2013, 06:14 PM) *
My best friends, mothers, step fathers, dog told me that the PPV did 1.1 million but yano not to brag lol.

Realistically if they were the numbers ah damn lol, Floyd still gets his 32 million and a cut of the PPV.

LOL, yeah man I agree. I find it funny how he never went out of his way to speak to his sources about those Pacquiao PPV numbers

mrchitown
QUOTE (hitman @ May 19 2013, 07:23 PM) *
floyd should fight canelo in september. then matthysse/garcia winner in may. if cotto gets back on the winning track, you got cotto II next september. those fights would sell well.

Nice....that's a pretty good timeline and fight lineup you posed there
Franchize
I think, if at all, Floyd should fight Canelo in May. Not only will it allow Canelo to build his name resume' even more, it will allow him to work on his English to appeal to the US fans. I think the fight that Floyd SHOULD take is Cotto in September. #1 He pisses on the chances of Canelo's team making the Cotto fight and saying "we tried everything we could but Floyd ducked us so we're fighting Cotto. A true champion" (In another thread, predicted this will happen). #2 He gets to avenge what he feels was a less than stellar performance. #3 He makes money off of a marketable fighter/fight because, although Cotto lost, he looked fairly good vs Floyd. End of the day, I think Floyd will still make more money fighting Cotto than guys like Alexander, Garcia, Matthysse.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 19 2013, 09:24 AM) *
Broner should be in camp, its like he is at every fight. He is talented but has 0 discipline. He is going to take a L early in his career for his lack of discipline. I like Paulie and I am pulling for him in this fight. I am.

Malignaggi has been in with some great comp. Broner was getting tagged by the last midget he faced. Malignaggi can box. Broner is going to have to go for a KO and he may get matadored... I am not sold on Broner's skills in the ring.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 20 2013, 06:20 AM) *
I think, if at all, Floyd should fight Canelo in May. Not only will it allow Canelo to build his name resume' even more, it will allow him to work on his English to appeal to the US fans. I think the fight that Floyd SHOULD take is Cotto in September. #1 He pisses on the chances of Canelo's team making the Cotto fight and saying "we tried everything we could but Floyd ducked us so we're fighting Cotto. A true champion" (In another thread, predicted this will happen). #2 He gets to avenge what he feels was a less than stellar performance. #3 He makes money off of a marketable fighter/fight because, although Cotto lost, he looked fairly good vs Floyd. End of the day, I think Floyd will still make more money fighting Cotto than guys like Alexander, Garcia, Matthysse.

If he loses to Cotto or looks like shit then what? That is a risk and money down the pipe hole. Or if Canelo faces Cotto and looks like shit then what?
Hotsauce
QUOTE (hitman @ May 19 2013, 07:23 PM) *

u are 100% right. those fights would easily sell.
SCIO
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 20 2013, 04:20 PM) *
u are 100% right. those fights would easily sell.

He's only got 5 fights left and none of the other options are as young or as marketable as Canelo. I think he should save the Alvarez fight for one of the very last. Not to mention he just got back to 47 and I think he just wants to stay there for a couple more fights. It's never a good thing to continuously go up and down in weight.
KOpower
QUOTE (SCIO @ May 20 2013, 05:01 PM) *
He's only got 5 fights left and none of the other options are as young or as marketable as Canelo. I think he should save the Alvarez fight for one of the very last. Not to mention he just got back to 47 and I think he just wants to stay there for a couple more fights. It's never a good thing to continuously go up and down in weight.

The problem is that there is no good alternative that Mayweather can fight. Danny Garcia? Devon Alexander? Amir Khan? Eh. Showtime is going to take a solid loss on any of those names if Mayweather's guarantee is the same as it was for RG. Floyd's next fight will probably do less for 3 reasons...

1. More competition in the fall. People will be watching college football and very important baseball come that Saturday in September.

2. Mayweather fought very recently. Floyd has been fighting once or so a year for a long period of time. After a year or so many people are looking for their Mayweather fix. They got it in May and they may not be willing to shell out another $70 for it.

3. Mayweather's last fight was so dominant that the casuals thought it was boring. If he goes in there against another guy people don't give him a chance of losing to, people will think twice before paying that $70.

We will never get the real PPV numbers, but I bet a PPV with Devon Alexander or Danny Garcia does about 750k-800k. That would be a major loss for Showtime if Floyd's PPV guarantee is the same as it was for the Ghost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.