Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You kind of have to give it up to Oscar De La Hoya...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pacco_diablo
He sure has an impressive resume of opponents

Pacquiao
Mayweather Jr.
Hopkins
Mosley X2
Quartey
Julio Cesar Chavez X2
Hector Camacho
Pernell Whitaker

All of which are potential HOF'ers and several in their primes.

not too shabby
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 16 2013, 04:36 PM) *
He sure has an impressive resume of opponents

1. Pacquiao
2. Mayweather Jr.
3. Hopkins
4. Mosley X2
5. Quartey
6. Julio Cesar Chavez X2
7. Hector Camacho
8. Pernell Whitaker

All of which are potential HOF'ers and several in their primes.

not too shabby

not really.

1. loss
2. loss
3. loss
4. loss x2
5. many thought he loss
6. ok...sort of...not really
7. ok...sort of...not really
8. many thought he loss

the one that could have defined him he gave away in the last few rounds...and that was trinidad.

his best wins came against guys that trinidad already ktfo'd....campas, vargas, carr and mayorga.
mitukczuk
Preach Professor !
pacco_diablo
I think I'm more impressed with the wide range of opponents which span greatness back to the 80's. It's sort of like a who's who of great champions. To think how Hopkins has titles at light HW just adds an interesting degree of seperation. I love the history of boxing and can get lost in the who faught who perspective, the weights and time periods. Maybe it's just me...
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 16 2013, 06:39 PM) *
I think I'm more impressed with the wide range of opponents which span greatness back to the 80's. It's sort of like a who's who of great champions. To think how Hopkins has titles at light HW just adds an interesting degree of seperation. I love the history of boxing and can get lost in the who faught who perspective, the weights and time periods. Maybe it's just me...

what is impressive about oscar was his popularity. the guy had it all. if he had won all those fights....he'd be one of the greatest in history. benitez beat duran and loss to hearns and leonard. those are great names on his resume. he's the youngest champion ever...yet his name is hardly mentioned with the fab four. if boxing was a popularity contest....oscar wins hands down. but unfortunately...it's accomplishment that counts. what hopkins has done is nothing short of amazing. his records will stand for quite some time i'm sure.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2013, 02:01 PM) *
not really.

1. loss
2. loss
3. loss
4. loss x2
5. many thought he loss
8. many thought he loss

the one that could have defined him he gave away in the last few rounds...and that was trinidad.

his best wins came against guys that trinidad already ktfo'd....campas, vargas, carr and mayorga.

Drops the mic and leaves. My first post on this board was: Oscar's legacy. He was always the maid of honor but never the bride. He could never beat the big names, plus he got a gift decision against Ike Quarty and not mention Whitker.
Cshel86
The fact that he took on the big names while having so much to lose, says a lot. Always remember, "what one man doesn't do, the next man will get credit for". I'm speaking of Floyd not "taking on all of the big names" (as most casual fans would say), while Oscar did, regardless of whether he won or lost.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 17 2013, 12:48 AM) *
The fact that he took on the big names while having so much to lose, says a lot. Always remember, "what one man doesn't do, the next man will get credit for". I'm speaking of Floyd not "taking on all of the big names" (as most casual fans would say), while Oscar did, regardless of whether he won or lost.

Thats been my campaign on this site. Totally agree. I thought that the OP, was just trying to point this out.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2013, 04:01 PM) *
not really.

1. loss
2. loss
3. loss
4. loss x2
5. many thought he loss
8. many thought he loss

Not much to say after this but I agree..though he beat Trinidad in my view the whole laying back and cruising shit was a bad idea. His legacy for me will be more so the attention and notoriety he brought to the sport not who he fought..maybe if he would've actually won many of the big fights he was in it would be different but it's not.
Genius
He lost to Strum too and avoided Winky and Vernon. Probably more losses...
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2013, 09:48 PM) *

If Floyd would of stayed with Top Rank do you think he would of gotten to fight those big names? Aside from Paul Williams. Williams was tall and a high volume puncher he had no defense and got hit way too easy I just think his height and reached would of caused some problems from Floyd. Plus Paul fought flat footed but who knows how that fight would of shaped up.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2013, 05:01 PM) *
not really.

1. loss
2. loss
3. loss
4. loss x2
5. many thought he loss
8. many thought he loss

I was thinking the same exact thing lol
neophyte7
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 05:12 AM) *
He lost to Strum too and avoided Winky and Vernon. Probably more losses...

I would go a step further and stay he got dominated by STURM...
Dolimite
Should the Buffalo Bills get credit for losing in the Superbowl 4 damn times and not winning one? I mean yeah they made it but they never won. Same with Oscar yeah he fought the best but he got his ass beat. I mean just cause you fight the best doesn't mean shit, beating the best gets you props not just showing up and getting recognition for fighting them. Come on bro...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 17 2013, 04:23 PM) *
Should the Buffalo Bills get credit for losing in the Superbowl 4 damn times and not winning one? I mean yeah they made it but they never won. Same with Oscar yeah he fought the best but he got his ass beat. I mean just cause you fight the best doesn't mean shit, beating the best gets you props not just showing up and getting recognition for fighting them. Come on bro...

damn. the buffalo bills analogy!!! laugh.gif forgot all about them.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2013, 12:42 PM) *
damn. the buffalo bills analogy!!! laugh.gif forgot all about them.

Just cause you fight the best doesn't get you credit. I am sorry, you have to win and if you aren't winning then who cares. So if I play golf with Tiger woods and get my ass kicked would I get credit? If I play Ralphel Nadal and get my ass beat would I to get credit? If get in the ring with one of the Charlo Twins and get my ass kicked would I get credit? NO! If I have a drinking contest with Cshels and his alcoholic ass drinks me 6 feet under should I get credit? Shit no! Neither should Oscar!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 20 2013, 06:23 PM) *
Just cause you fight the best doesn't get you credit. I am sorry, you have to win and if you aren't winning then who cares. So if I play golf with Tiger woods and get my ass kicked would I get credit? If I play Ralphel Nadal and get my ass beat would I to get credit? If get in the ring with one of the Charlo Twins and get my ass kicked would I get credit? NO! If I have a drinking contest with Cshels and his alcoholic ass drinks me 6 feet under should I get credit? Shit no! Neither should Oscar!

that might get you a few free drinks in the bar ala chuck wepner. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.