Hand speed - check
Power - check
Foot speed - check
Chin - check
Mental toughness - check
Heart - check
Stamina - check
Ring smarts - check

There you have it folks, best fighter I've ever seen.
mgrover
If he had no weaknesses he wouldn't of lost to Duran the first time. He was a snake that admitted it
Genius
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 17 2013, 04:24 AM) *
If he had no weaknesses he wouldn't of lost to Duran the first time. He was a snake that admitted it

He made the mistake of trying to hurt Duran and bang with him. Then the world saw what happened in the rematch, he used his legs and made Duran look silly and eventually quit. Duran couldn't adjust to Leonard...
mgrover
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 10:26 AM) *
He made the mistake of trying to hurt Duran and bang with him. Then the world saw what happened in the rematch, he used his legs and made Duran look silly and eventually quit. Duran couldn't adjust to Leonard...

problem is you can attempt to find a * with every single fight.
mitukczuk
Far from being the best imo...as he dodged The Hawk. No one can even dispute this fact as there is even a video showing his ignorant ass finding his way out of that fight.

SRL will always be a fighter who benefited only from his reflexes and athleticism...once he lost these, he was average. To me, that's what separates the very best from best. As a fighter you can't rely on being athletic and fast as these are two things that might be gone sooner than you think. He wasn't able to adapt........my two cents smile.gif

Not taking away his status of course. He has done a lot for the sport!
neophyte7
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 05:26 AM) *

What leonard against Duran in fight2... Mayweather and Hopkins would be lambasted for RUNNING---- ray leonard ran from little Aaron Pryor and let a DOPE FIEND MACHO CAMACHO KO HIM...
Dolimite
I think his eye will have something to say about your list not only that but Ray got hit way too much for my liking. But to its his own.
neophyte7
hearns clearly beat him in fight 2...
Franchize
I disagree that he had no weaknesses. Much like Roy Jones, he reliedo n his ridiculous God given talent and slacked on fundamentals at times. Casual fans usually joke about how he whooped Floyd Sr's ass, but if you watch that fight, even Sr was landing and timing him well early on. I thought not only did he lose to Hearns that 2nd time (which I give him props for admitting), I thought he lost to Hagler also. Also, SRL, as great as he was, got a lot of credit for flashy shoe shine punches that really weren't landing throughout his career.
mgrover
his flurries remind me of Khan.
leonthegee
Leonards problem was his defense. He was a stick and move in and out type fighter. Hes not like a Toney, Hopkins or Mayweather. He couldnt slip the jab for shit. Thats why he had eye problems which forced him to retire at 25 the first time.
Thebruntje
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 17 2013, 02:04 PM) *
Far from being the best imo...as he dodged The Hawk. No one can even dispute this fact as there is even a video showing his ignorant ass finding his way out of that fight.

SRL will always be a fighter who benefited only from his reflexes and athleticism...once he lost these, he was average. To me, that's what separates the very best from best. As a fighter you can't rely on being athletic and fast as these are two things that might be gone sooner than you think. He wasn't able to adapt........my two cents smile.gif

Not taking away his status of course. He has done a lot for the sport!

Best answer i've read here!! I love Leonard and he will always be one of my favorite fighters but he was faaar from a perfect fighter and little bit overrated to be honest! He reminds of Roy Jones jr, as you mentioned before SRL relied a lot on his reflexes and athleticism, but his fundamentals weren't there! His inside was not that good and he got hit a lot!! I do think however that prime SRL had one the best chins i've ever seen and nobody could question his heart! Very few boxers would be able to defeat Hearns, the way SRL did in their first fight!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 17 2013, 07:12 AM) *
What leonard against Duran in fight2... Mayweather and Hopkins would be lambasted for RUNNING---- ray leonard ran from little Aaron Pryor and let a DOPE FIEND MACHO CAMACHO KO HIM...

lol I was about to post the running thing
Hotsauce
i see you didn't put defense in yo list
Genius
Lol he chose to fight Hearns than little old Pryor. Pryor would've been embarrassed by Leonard....
Genius
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 17 2013, 11:44 AM) *
lol I was about to post the running thing

Moving was his defense.....can't hit what you can't see. He has wins over Duran, Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. No one in the history of boxing has better name wins on their resume.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 01:20 PM) *
Moving was his defense.....can't hit what you can't see. He has wins over Duran, Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. No one in the history of boxing has better name wins on their resume.

ali
Genius
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 17 2013, 01:30 PM) *
ali

Duran is top ten p4p easily, maybe top 5. Those guys are top 20...except maybe Benitez. Ali has longevity over Leonard....Leonard has big time names.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 17 2013, 09:13 AM) *
his flurries remind me of Khan.

I've often thought the same. Khans a poor man's srl... A very poor one

QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 02:20 PM) *

A few wins have an asterisk next to them but better names than that are hard to come by.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Lol he chose to fight Hearns than little old Pryor. Pryor would've been embarrassed by Leonard....

I hear you.. the same Hearns who Pryor beat up in the amatuers... he would have given Leonard one helluva fight
Jack 1000
I never like Leonard, maybe its just that I don't like Pretty Boy fighters. I think with the weight difference Ray would have beaten Pryor. I don't think he had many weaknesses, not any I can think of off the top of my head. Best pure boxer, reminiscent of a lighter weight Ali. Leonard was great.

Jack
Dolimite
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 17 2013, 01:29 PM) *
I never like Leonard, maybe its just that I don't like Pretty Boy fighters. I think with the weight difference Ray would have beaten Pryor. I don't think he had many weaknesses, not any I can think of off the top of my head. Best pure boxer, reminiscent of a lighter weight Ali. Leonard was great.

Jack

Jack who do you like? lol!
mgrover
The Hawk - He dodged him.
Hagler - Hotly disputed to this day, and came back and fought him after and he admits it "hagler lost something after the mugabi fight"
Hearns - Sure he got the win the first time and supposedly he even admits losing the second time, and that stoppage was meh
Duran - He lost the first time, but he'd already lost, nobody credits Duran that win cause of the No Mas thing. It was Leonards fault for fighting Durans fight.

He has either ducked or there was a *.
neophyte7
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 17 2013, 07:32 PM) *
Hagler - Hotly disputed to this day, and came back and fought him after and he admits it "hagler lost something after the mugabi fight"
Hearns - Sure he got the win the first time and supposedly he even admits losing the second time, and that stoppage was meh
Duran - He lost the first time, but he'd already lost, nobody credits Duran that win cause of the No Mas thing. It was Leonards fault for fighting Durans fight.

I agree. Simple and plain...I mean I saw the tape where Pryor stood up and stated humbly. "all I want to do is fight"... the manner in which Ray Leonard treated the man was bullshit. Really, I saw that tape and I could see in Leonard's eyes and in his speech he wanted no parts of Pryor...
Genius
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 17 2013, 04:29 PM) *

Jack
/thread
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 17 2013, 06:21 PM) *

I love slugger fights! Any guy that goes to war every time out! I do respect elusive boxing at the same time though. However, I think the great wars are what people remember the most!

Jack
mitukczuk

Here you go....you can't quite possibly call someone out in a better style. Direct, with class, witty.......I believe SRL was scared shitless....
duwdu
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 17 2013, 07:21 PM) *

I noticed the same thing, LOL!

P34c3
sduck
If he had no weaknesses he wouldn't of lost or gotten knocked down.

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 18 2013, 02:41 AM) *

Here you go....you can't quite possibly call someone out in a better style. Direct, with class, witty.......I believe SRL was scared shitless....

Great video. laugh.gif
neophyte7

[quote name='mitukczuk' date='May 18 2013, 03:41 AM' post='581748']

[/quote

SRL looks gay ...one of the village people...
mrchitown
Damn yall going in on SRL lol
neophyte7
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 19 2013, 02:29 AM) *
Damn yall going in on SRL lol

CHI... I could not let him slide LMAO.. ducking prior while looking like a queer... LMAO.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 17 2013, 05:24 AM) *

if he had no weaknesses...why wait til someone showed vulnerability to fight them?

why make outrageous demands and try to win fights when the contract was signed?

daprofessor
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 05:26 AM) *

watch legendary nights...or read 'hands of stone' and hear it from leonard, his brother and dundee yourself. they knew they couldn't beat duran straight up so they used a different tactic. duran's manager pretty much threw him under the bus in the rematch and helped leonard and dundee get what they wanted.

ask yourself this....why did leonard wait until '89 to have the rubber match?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Genius @ May 17 2013, 02:18 PM) *

pryor beat hearns several times in the amateurs. stopped him once.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 17 2013, 07:32 PM) *

i'll add....duran jumped two weight classes to take his "0" and did so in impressive fashion.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2013, 10:43 AM) *
i'll add....duran jumped two weight classes to take his "0" and did so in impressive fashion.

On foreign land! He fought in Canada which said a lot of his confidence.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2013, 06:36 PM) *
if he had no weaknesses...why wait til someone showed vulnerability to fight them?

why make outrageous demands and try to win fights when the contract was signed?

THIS
mrchitown
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 20 2013, 09:00 AM) *
CHI... I could not let him slide LMAO.. ducking prior while looking like a queer... LMAO.

I can't look at it, I chalk it up to the drugs man lol

you know what he should've did is get Leon Isaac Kennedy aka "I'm taking SRL's image and making boxing movies" and made him fight Pryor. That's the least dude could do after profiting off of his close similarities to SRL lol
neophyte7
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 21 2013, 01:09 AM) *

you know what he should've did is get Leon Isaac Kennedy aka "I'm taking SRL's image and making boxing movies" and made him fight Pryor. That's the least dude could do after profiting off of his close similarities to SRL lol

thumbsup_anim.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 21 2013, 01:09 AM) *

lmfao!!! i forgot all about dude!!! he bagged a bad one in jane kennedy though...i can't hate on him.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 12:14 PM) *
lmfao!!! i forgot all about dude!!! he bagged a bad one in jane kennedy though...i can't hate on him.

I had to take it back for a minute, body and soul is my shit. He got her because she thought she was getting Ray Leonard, he duped her lol
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 01:14 PM) *

Yep, Too Sweet...Speaking of Jane Kennedy, word was she was a Hollywood Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaak!!!! She even had O.J. on her roster, which says a lot, as it's pretty common knowledge, O.J. is allergic to anything w/ black blood lines. #TeamAnaphylaxisReactionToSistahs.
MaxPayne
Better boxers than Sugar Ray Leonard had weaknesses.

Therefore, Sugar Ray Leonard, logically, also had weaknesses.

There has never been a boxer born who didn't have weaknesses.

Sugar Ray Leonard, spectacular as he was, is no different.

It's alright to espouse a fighter's greatness. Let's not get drowned in hyperbole though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 22 2013, 02:08 AM) *
I had to take it back for a minute, body and soul is my shit. He got her because she thought she was getting Ray Leonard, he duped her lol

ali used to hit that.
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 22 2013, 06:54 AM) *
Yep, Too Sweet...Speaking of Jane Kennedy, word was she was a Hollywood Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaak!!!! She even had O.J. on her roster, which says a lot, as it's pretty common knowledge, O.J. is allergic to anything w/ black blood lines. #TeamAnaphylaxisReactionToSistahs.

a lot of the bad chicks get passed around. it's been that way for quite some time and crosses color lines.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 01:49 PM) *
ali used to hit that.

He is the greatest lol
anthonyaccurate
I wonder what Ruben Guerrerro would say in a build up to a fight with Sugar Ray Leonard. Btw, Leonard was bitch ass in that video, not looking at Pryor, telling him "its my show" and then shushing him at the end. But wouldn't fight him, hmmmm....

And cocaine was his weakness, OP...
Genius
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2013, 12:39 PM) *
watch legendary nights...or read 'hands of stone' and hear it from leonard, his brother and dundee yourself. they knew they couldn't beat duran straight up so they used a different tactic. duran's manager pretty much threw him under the bus in the rematch and helped leonard and dundee get what they wanted.

ask yourself this....why did leonard wait until '89 to have the rubber match?

And Howard Davis beat Pryor, all Pryor wanted was a pay day and was jealous of Leonard. He turned down 500 k and the fight didn't happen. Enough with the amateur stuff ppl...if Pryor was such a bad ass he would've moved up to 147 and challenged others. Duran was busy losing and was a part time fighter after "no mas". You never knew what Duran you would get....he had a handful of embarrassing losses. Men Leonard beat!
duwdu
QUOTE (Genius @ May 23 2013, 02:05 AM) *
And Howard Davis beat Pryor, all Pryor wanted was a pay day and was jealous of Leonard. He turned down 500 k and the fight didn't happen. Enough with the amateur stuff ppl...if Pryor was such a bad ass he would've moved up to 147 and challenged others. Duran was busy losing and was a part time fighter after "no mas". You never knew what Duran you would get....he had a handful of embarrassing losses. Men Leonard beat!

What has this line of sidestepping an argument got to do with your innuendo that SRL "had no weaknesses," much less help your argument?

It's okay to be an unrepentant fan of a fighter, but maintaining such hyperbole even in the face of this barrage of solid evidence to the contrary, is in bad taste, imo.
Instead of easing yourself out of the hole, you're just further pointing to the weaknesses of other good fighters, as if, somehow, such would make SRL seem invincible. In fact, it makes him look rather ordinary.

Do you still maintain your initial claim? Just let it go, man.

P34c3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.