Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ward named champion emeritus
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
is that really being stripped? i think the wbc is full of shit....but sakio bika and some other unknown dude fighting for a now vacant title isn't fooling anyone. everyone knows ward is the man at 168 and all roads go through him.

he has relinquished his 'emeritus' status.

emeritus status affords him the opportunity to defend when he chooses against who he chooses...i thought. wbc changes their rules all the time. i say fuck em.

if it were jr,canelo or floyd...suiliaman would have given them what they wanted.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2013, 04:17 PM) *
is that really being stripped? i think the wbc is full of shit....but sakio bika and some other unknown dude fighting for a now vacant title isn't fooling anyone. everyone knows ward is the man at 168 and all roads go through him.

he has relinquished his 'emeritus' status.

emeritus status affords him the opportunity to defend when he chooses against who he chooses...i thought. wbc changes their rules all the time. i say fuck em.

if it were jr,canelo or floyd...suiliaman would have given them what they wanted.

No Emeritus stratus is not a stripping. You basically get that when a health injury prevents you from fighting for a time where you could not defend because of heath reasons. In this case, it was Ward's shoulder injury.

The #1 and #2 guys fight for the title with the winner to fight the Emeritus champion when he is healthy and ready to fight.

Ward didn't like the politics so he vacated his Emeritus Status. He can just get the title back by fighting whoever holds the title when he is ready to fight and than he beats the active guy.

Who is Ward fighting next?

Jack
mgrover
Does this really matter? Why the fuck is Ward at super middleweight,
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 20 2013, 06:52 PM) *
No Emeritus stratus is not a stripping. You basically get that when a health injury prevents you from fighting for a time where you could not defend because of heath reasons. In this case, it was Ward's shoulder injury.

The #1 and #2 guys fight for the title with the winner to fight the Emeritus champion when he is healthy and ready to fight.

Ward didn't like the politics so he vacated his Emeritus Status. He can just get the title back by fighting whoever holds the title when he is ready to fight and than he beats the active guy.

Who is Ward fighting next?

Jack

i thought i heard/read something about ward fighting chavez next...that might have been a dream. laugh.gif

daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 20 2013, 07:41 PM) *
Does this really matter? Why the fuck is Ward at super middleweight,

why not? it's his weight class. he hasn't become undisputed. there are still paydays at the weight. it makes sense.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 12:46 AM) *
why not? it's his weight class. he hasn't become undisputed. there are still paydays at the weight. it makes sense.

Whose he honestly left to fight? Chavez isn't moving up, it'll be a while before GGG moves up, Froch and Kessler won't beat him. He needs to claim the light heavyweight title
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 20 2013, 08:06 PM) *
Whose he honestly left to fight? Chavez isn't moving up, it'll be a while before GGG moves up, Froch and Kessler won't beat him. He needs to claim the light heavyweight title

with the new wbc rules about rehydration limits...i think chavez is going to be forced to move up.

there's still dirrell and bute. oh...and a few undefeated up-and-comers.

i'd love to see the ggg fight before he moves up.
mrchitown
The WBC did this weeks ago, Ward is just now responding to it. He did the right thing, these sanctioning bodies act as if they own the fighters. It's about time someone had the balls to stand up to them and tell them to take thier belt and shove it. Hopefully more fighters follow suit
Cshel86
It's hard to even takes titles seriously anymore. ANYBODY can be a champ nowadays, so where's the exclusivity in it? There is none.
pacco_diablo
Seems as if the Ring Magazine championship has become the most respected and universally recognized belt anyway.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 01:36 AM) *
with the new wbc rules about rehydration limits...i think chavez is going to be forced to move up.

there's still dirrell and bute. oh...and a few undefeated up-and-comers.

i'd love to see the ggg fight before he moves up.

wheres Dirrell? and Bute really? After what Froch did to him?
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 21 2013, 09:51 AM) *
Seems as if the Ring Magazine championship has become the most respected and universally recognized belt anyway.

not really.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 21 2013, 11:02 AM) *
wheres Dirrell? and Bute really? After what Froch did to him?

maybe it is time to move up?
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 06:12 PM) *
maybe it is time to move up?

I think it is tbh, fight Dawson and then try to get Hopkins, then whoevers knocking about, aka Cleverly, maybe Pascal.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 01:12 PM) *
not really.

May have to disagree with you on this one. At least right now, their belt holders seem to be in line with the (subjectively speaking) "true" champions.

HW- Wlad
LtHW- Chad Dawson
SMW- Andre Ward
MW- Sergio Martinez
JMW- Saul Alvarez
WW- Money
JWW- Danny Garcia
LW- JMM (just moved up and out)
FW- Mickey Garcia

If I had to make a list of all my number 1's, with the exception of LW, this would pretty much be my list.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 21 2013, 08:51 AM) *

Used to be until Golden Boy bought it out. Now it's just a Jim Lamply pom-pom clinic for popular fighters. What I don't like about Ring titles is that you can sit on your belt FOREVER and never defend it and be called a champion until you retire. Does RING have any stripping policy? The other thing is that if Ring really wants credibility, FORCE the fighters to fight the fights on the network based on Ring Ratings. Ring has no authority or sanctioning legislation to make the fights happen in the ratings and champions that they promote. In other words, Ring can't mandate title fights and make them happen. If they could, they would be a serious threat to Alphabet Federation Belts, but they don't, so its just a manazine ratings system.

It's not like back in the 20-70's when Ring Champions fought ring contenders. Make that happen, than the magazine and Ring belt will have legitimacy again.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 21 2013, 03:47 PM) *
May have to disagree with you on this one. At least right now, their belt holders seem to be in line with the (subjectively speaking) "true" champions.

HW- Wlad
LtHW- Chad Dawson
SMW- Andre Ward
MW- Sergio Martinez
JMW- Saul Alvarez
WW- Money
JWW- Danny Garcia
LW- JMM (just moved up and out)
FW- Mickey Garcia

If I had to make a list of all my number 1's, with the exception of LW, this would pretty much be my list.

this list is impressive...but so long as the magazine is owned and influenced by gbp...it will always be suspect.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 21 2013, 04:12 PM) *
Used to be until Golden Boy bought it out. Now it's just a Jim Lamply pom-pom clinic for popular fighters. What I don't like about Ring titles is that you can sit on your belt FOREVER and never defend it and be called a champion until you retire. Does RING have any stripping policy? The other thing is that if Ring really wants credibility, FORCE the fighters to fight the fights on the network based on Ring Ratings. Ring has no authority or sanctioning legislation to make the fights happen in the ratings and champions that they promote. In other words, Ring can't mandate title fights and make them happen. If they could, they would be a serious threat to Alphabet Federation Belts, but they don't, so its just a manazine ratings system.

It's not like back in the 20-70's when Ring Champions fought ring contenders. Make that happen, than the magazine and Ring belt will have legitimacy again.

Jack

this. well said jack.
Cshel86
In the words of Bnoles4life...the WBC stand for, "Wow...a Black Champion?"
daprofessor
a different perspective....

With all due respect to Andre’s opinions and feelings, it is imperative that the WBC clarifies to the public the chain of events that led to Ward’s designation as WBC Emeritus World Champion .

THE SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPER 6 TOURNAMENT

From 2009 through the end of 2011, the WBC fully supported the super middleweight Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament. The WBC’s support was conditioned on the organizers allowing the full participation of the WBC Champion clearly stating on all communications that when the tournament was over, the WBC Champion was required to make a mandatory defense. On December 17, 2011, Ward won the Super Six tournament and the WBC Super Middleweight World Championship.

THE FIRST ORDER FOR MANDATORY DEFENSE

In the spring of 2012, the WBC ordered Ward to make a mandatory defense of his WBC title against Anthony Dirrell. Soon thereafter, Dirrell was involved in a motorcycle accident, which freed the mandatory commitment at that time. In an effort to keep the division active, the WBC agreed to sanction Ward’s fight against WBC Light Heavyweight Champion Chad Dawson as a voluntary defense of Ward’s title with the condition that the winner would make the mandatory defense in his next fight.

WBC ORDERED FINAL ELIMINATION TO DETERMINE THE MANDATORY CONTENDER

In October of 2012, the WBC ordered that the highest rated available boxers in the super middleweight division participate in a final elimination match. In December of 2012, during the WBC annual convention, the final elimination fight between Sakio Bika and Nikola Sjekloca was ratified, with the winner becoming the mandatory challenger for the world title.

WBC ACCEPTED TO SANCTION WARD VS PAVLIK VOLUNTARY DEFENSE

During the convention, the WBC approved the Ward versus Pavlik fight as a voluntary defense of Ward’s title. The winner of that fight would then face the mandatory contender without any intervening defenses.

WARD SUSTAINED AN INJURY WHICH LEADS TO SURGERY

In January of 2013, Ward underwent surgery to repair his injured shoulder and issued a press release announcing he would be unable to fight for an indefinite period of time.

BIKA BECAME MANDATORY CONTENDER

Bika became the mandatory challenger by beating Sjekloca on February 16 2013.

WBC ORDERED WARD VS BIKA FOR THE MANDATORY DEFENSE

On February 21, the WBC ordered free negotiations for the mandatory defense between Ward vs Bika. A reminder letter was sent on March 5.

WBC VOTED UNANIMOUSLY TO DESIGNATE WARD CHAMPION EMERITUS

In light of his indefinite incapacity, and the fact that the WBC has never received Ward’s medical clearance or a definite availability date, on March 23, 2013, the WBC designated Ward as the Emeritus World Champion by sending him a letter. The WBC announced that designation via a press release on April 9, 2013.

As the WBC Rules & Regulations clearly recognize, all World Champions enjoy many benefits, but also have obligations. Even the greatest WBC World Champions are called to honor their commitments to the WBC and to the fans by facing their mandatory challengers in a timely fashion. Floyd Mayweather just fulfilled his mandatory obligation facing Robert Guerrero, Klitschko will fight Bermane Stiverne, who is the mandatory challenger, just to give a couple of current examples.

The WBC granted the Emeritus Championship designation as a way to honor Andre Ward, and to give him sufficient time to recover from his injury while keeping the division active. The facts are clear: he boxed once in 2012, his last fight was nine months ago, and he has not been able to indicate when will he be ready to return to the ring .

The WBC continues to support Andre Ward and considers him a great champion. The WBC wishes Andre a prompt recovery and much success in his return to boxing and in his work as a boxing analyst.
daprofessor
bika is a rough dude. i wouldn't want to fight him twice either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.