Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who are the best Trainers in the Game?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Dolimite
Besides our very own Professor, who are the best trainers in the game of boxing? My list would be

Pedro Diaz (his strategy against Donaire was perfect), plus this guy is a real Phd. He wrote a book about how to train for different sports (see Alex Ariza he actually studies his craft). Guy is very smart

Virgil Hunter: Need I say more?

Buddy Mcgrit: Great guy. Has a real talent for building his fighters up.

Brother Nassim Richardson: Great boxing mind. A Phd when it comes to the sport.

Floyd Mayweather Sr.: besides all the rest of the stuff he says, this man knows his boxing, look at the guys he worked with. Oscar was on a win streak and son, we know about that guy.

Robert Garcia: great boxing mind and he has belief in his fighters. Plus anyone who can deal with Rios my hat goes off to them

Fritz Sdunek: Old school trainer and has done great with European fighters. Look at the Klitschko brothers and Felix Strum.

That is my list.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 21 2013, 07:12 PM) *
Besides our very own Professor, who are the best trainers in the game of boxing? My list would be

Pedro Diaz (his strategy against Donaire was perfect), plus this guy is a real Phd. He wrote a book about how to train for different sports (see Alex Ariza he actually studies his craft). Guy is very smart

Virgil Hunter: Need I say more?

Buddy Mcgrit: Great guy. Has a real talent for building his fighters up.

Brother Nassim Richardson: Great boxing mind. A Phd when it comes to the sport.

Floyd Mayweather Sr.: besides all the rest of the stuff he says, this man knows his boxing, look at the guys he worked with. Oscar was on a win streak and son, we know about that guy.

Robert Garcia: great boxing mind and he has belief in his fighters. Plus anyone who can deal with Rios my hat goes off to them

Fritz Sdunek: Old school trainer and has done great with European fighters. Look at the Klitschko brothers and Felix Strum.

That is my list.

laugh.gif thanks for the plug.

no list is complete without nacho beristain.
mgrover
Pedro Diaz also trained Cotto for Mayweather and we all saw how he looked there
Marcus
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 21 2013, 07:48 PM) *
Pedro Diaz also trained Cotto for Mayweather and we all saw how he looked there

Cotto might as well retire if he leaves this trainer.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 07:33 PM) *

Nacho was the only name I was gonna drop lol
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 21 2013, 03:33 PM) *

Nacho! How could I forget the great Nacho Berstain! Definitely Nacho is top notch training!!!!!!
Plah
Robert Garcia?

Off the top of my head: Naz, Floyd, Nacho, Pedro, Virgil
Dolimite
QUOTE (Plah @ May 21 2013, 08:52 PM) *
Robert Garcia?

Off the top of my head: Naz, Floyd, Nacho, Pedro, Virgil

I am looking at what he did for his brother Mikey and that Russian dude. He has done a good job with those guys.
Plah
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 22 2013, 12:05 AM) *
I am looking at what he did for his brother Mikey and that Russian dude. He has done a good job with those guys.

Then why not do that with everyone? I know Rios wont ever change his mindset but idk
Gambit808
I'll be fair here and throw Freddie Roach name in there. No doubt he's on a skid but his stable is still Impressive. I still have Bradley/Ruslan as leading candidate in FOY just to throw that in there as well.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Marcus @ May 21 2013, 08:09 PM) *
Cotto might as well retire if he leaves this trainer.

That should read "LEFT" his trainer...as in Cotto has "left" Pedro Diaz.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Plah @ May 21 2013, 08:24 PM) *
Then why not do that with everyone? I know Rios wont ever change his mindset but idk

Because not everyone else is a good trainer. Robert motivates his guys and young fighters are seeking him out. He has a good boxing mind. Shit I will thrown Roger Mayweather's name out there. Great boxing mind, he didn't do much to help Love, I thought it was a mistake when he told love to take more risk against Rosado but still
daprofessor
i think there are a lot of trainers in the game that you never hear of that are excellent. some that i know and admire are....

john bray

eric brown

mike stafford

barry hunter

george peterson

george hernandez

dan goosen

manny robles
mrchitown
Virgil and Barry Hunter are my top trainers in the game right now

Nazim

the Mayweathers(Roger Jeff, and Floyd sr)

Nacho

Robert Garcia is pretty good

I'll put Freddie on the list too even though it seems like his fighters are in the twilight zone recently

mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 01:47 PM) *
i think there are a lot of trainers in the game that you never hear of that are excellent. some that i know and admire are....

john bray

eric brown

mike stafford

barry hunter

george peterson

george hernandez

dan goosen

manny robles

These two are going to be the most in demand trainers one day, their knowledge of the sport is second to none
Cshel86
laugh.gif

LMAO at the topic description reading, "Besides Da Professor".
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 04:22 PM) *
laugh.gif

Diaz and Sr. and Nacho is up there too.

Honorouable mentions are, Lucas' trainer (anyone heard what he said to Matthysse in the Peterson match).
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 03:22 PM) *
laugh.gif

dry.gif

daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 22 2013, 03:41 PM) *
Diaz and Sr. and Nacho is up there too.

Honorouable mentions are, Lucas' trainer (anyone heard what he said to Matthysse in the Peterson match).

what did he say?
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 01:32 PM) *
dry.gif

Professor you know he had to say something smart! I got your back bro! Cali Love!!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 22 2013, 04:50 PM) *
Professor you know he had to say something smart! I got your back bro! Cali Love!!!!

thumbsup_anim.gif
mgrover
A guy called Terry, he was my coach when I was younger, strictly amateur stuff, he won the ABAs a couple of times in his day, maybe it's nothing amazing, but he actually teaches both good defense like slipping the jab and decent offense by cutting off the ring properly. I don't understand how professionals can't cut off the ring, baffles me at times.
Franchize
Roger Mayweather
Floyd Mayweather Sr
Virgil Hunter
Nacho Beristain
Nazim Richardson
Ronnie Shields

I've also grown to appreciate the work of Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Pedro Diaz and James Harvey (Zab Judah's uncle)
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 05:32 PM) *
dry.gif

I got a good laugh out of it because Dolimite tends to troll us from time to time. I think I'm still laughing at that Miami Heat troll trap that he pulled on Chi! Be careful Professor, you may just get a call about training some of these fighters...you know they read these boards...regardless of what they say. I'm waiting for Golden Boy and Top Rank to steal one of our ideas, so I can sue their asses. Lol
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2013, 06:54 AM) *
I got a good laugh out of it because Dolimite tends to troll us from time to time. I think I'm still laughing at that Miami Heat troll trap that he pulled on Chi! Be careful Professor, you may just get a call about training some of these fighters...you know they read these boards...regardless of what they say. I'm waiting for Golden Boy and Top Rank to steal one of our ideas, so I can sue their asses. Lol

I am a troll now! Ouch! Its cool bro, the Hawks and Falcons will one day live up to their expectation. drinks.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 23 2013, 11:00 AM) *
I am a troll now! Ouch! Its cool bro, the Hawks and Falcons will one day live up to their expectation. drinks.gif

Nah man, you're far from a troll. Lol

The Falcons and the Hawks will forever suck...no way around that one. The Hawks haven't been good since the Lenny Wilkens, Mookie Blaylock and Motumbo days. Hell, I thought Jason Terry could save them, but boy was I wrong. I just don't like Falcons fans, but the team isn't all that bad.

I cant truly pin point the best trainers in the game. Most of them have fighters that they've been training since they were kids, so I cant that it truly counts. If they're able to make significant changes to newly acquired fighters, then I can give them credit based on that.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2013, 08:54 AM) *

i know they all read the boards from time to time. they won't admit to it...but they do. laugh.gif we inspire the pundits....don't get it twisted. i've heard them quote shit i've read or wrote myself in forums. fuck the training job. i want jim lampley or max kellermans job. laugh.gif i'll settle for training to though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2013, 11:24 AM) *

The Falcons and the Hawks will forever suck...no way around that one. The Hawks haven't been good since the Lenny Wilkens, Mookie Blaylock and Motumbo days. Hell, I thought Jason Terry could save them, but boy was I wrong. I just don't like Falcons fans, but the team isn't all that bad.

I cant truly pin point the best trainers in the game. Most of them have fighters that they've been training since they were kids, so I cant that it truly counts. If they're able to make significant changes to newly acquired fighters, then I can give them credit based on that.

i believe the opposite to be true. if they take them from the very beginning ala floyd sr/jr that is all the proof i need.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 23 2013, 12:18 AM) *
Roger Mayweather
Floyd Mayweather Sr
Virgil Hunter
Nacho Beristain
Nazim Richardson
Ronnie Shields

I've also grown to appreciate the work of Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Pedro Diaz and James Harvey (Zab Judah's uncle)

Great list, how the hell did I forget Shields, EMM and Harvey..I like Pedro too, I think he's going to do excellent work with Rigo
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2013, 08:54 AM) *

They already have TBH lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 23 2013, 03:38 PM) *
They already have TBH lol

who remembers my comments on how to resurrect pac's career? i thought i made a thread about it. it's playing out just as i suggested. laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Falcons fans are the worse. If Matty Ice would not melt in big games then yawl would have a championship. You know who has the worse fans?? Philly! Those Mfers are asses to the core.

So in your infinite wisdom what trainer past or present could help Amir Khan? lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 03:53 PM) *
who remembers my comments on how to resurrect pac's career? i thought i made a thread about it. it's playing out just as i suggested. laugh.gif

If Guerrero fights Ortiz I want my fuckin check, I brought it up to Robert's family and I spoke about it front of them again with Jeff Mayweather there, they don't want me to bring the Southside of the Chi to them GB events, I'll turn that bitch out lol
pacco_diablo
Buddy "Put your career in the dirt" Mcgirt???

I'm sure he's a great guy but dont think I'd want him in my corner. "Just keep doing what youre doing, baby," "Aim for his chest, baby," "You got this, baby."
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 24 2013, 01:16 AM) *
If Guerrero fights Ortiz I want my fuckin check, I brought it up to Robert's family and I spoke about it front of them again with Jeff Mayweather there, they don't want me to bring the Southside of the Chi to them GB events, I'll turn that bitch out lol

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 24 2013, 10:30 AM) *
Buddy "Put your career in the dirt" Mcgirt???

I'm sure he's a great guy but dont think I'd want him in my corner. "Just keep doing what youre doing, baby," "Aim for his chest, baby," "You got this, baby."

buddy fell off a little but he's still an excellent boxing mind. u have to keep in mind...his prized pupil, arturo gatti was murdered. i don't care who u are...but something like that will suck the life out of u. there are aspects of training that very few ppl understand....and energy transfer is one of those aspects.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 24 2013, 06:06 PM) *
buddy fell off a little but he's still an excellent boxing mind. u have to keep in mind...his prized pupil, arturo gatti was murdered. i don't care who u are...but something like that will suck the life out of u. there are aspects of training that very few ppl understand....and energy transfer is one of those aspects.

The fighters in his gym seem to be doing pretty well as I recently read something about his amateur boxing team doing well
sduck
What's all this bullshit in this thread, everyone knows Freddie Roach is the greatest trainer of all time.
klonopinz
Im not sure if mathysse is still working with pablo sarmiento, martinez's trainer, but if he is, i would recommend puting him in this list. Also do not forget the great rudy perez, a mexican legend, responsible for marco antonio barrera, israel vasquez, and i believe he also worked with maidana before garcia.
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ May 26 2013, 06:04 PM) *
What's all this bullshit in this thread, everyone knows Freddie Roach is the greatest trainer of all time.

laugh.gif
The Original MrFactor
I think this is a hard question to answer because I think the trainer's ability is very dependant on the fighter's ability to take instructions and deliver. I think sometimes you can have a great fighter and the trainer can be a complete dud OR you can have a great trainer and the fighter is a complete dud. The mesh between the two is very impoprtant.

Examples are.

Jermaine Taylor(dud) Emanuel Stewart(great Trainer). Stewart gave greatr instructions, buty Taylor didnt follow the plan time and time again.

The opposite would be
Tyson(great Fighter) and Whover the trainer for the Buster Douglas fight was.

Then theres that great mesh. I love the Mesh that Mayweather has with Roger and Floyd Sr.They all seem to be on the same page with their fighters ability and what they plan to do out there.

I also think that Kevin Cunningham has a great mesh with Devon Alexander. Kevin's a fairly new name to the big leagues as was Devon. They both learned coming up and seem to have gotten better.

So I dont know who the best trainer is. I just there are some guys that get more out of their fighter than others could.
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 27 2013, 06:27 PM) *
I think this is a hard question to answer because I think the trainer's ability is very dependant on the fighter's ability to take instructions and deliver. I think sometimes you can have a great fighter and the trainer can be a complete dud OR you can have a great trainer and the fighter is a complete dud. The mesh between the two is very impoprtant.

Examples are.

Jermaine Taylor(dud) Emanuel Stewart(great Trainer). Stewart gave greatr instructions, buty Taylor didnt follow the plan time and time again.

The opposite would be
Tyson(great Fighter) and Whover the trainer for the Buster Douglas fight was.

Then theres that great mesh. I love the Mesh that Mayweather has with Roger and Floyd Sr.They all seem to be on the same page with their fighters ability and what they plan to do out there.

I also think that Kevin Cunningham has a great mesh with Devon Alexander. Kevin's a fairly new name to the big leagues as was Devon. They both learned coming up and seem to have gotten better.

So I dont know who the best trainer is. I just there are some guys that get more out of their fighter than others could.

kevin cunningham is not new to the game. he trained corey spinks from the beginning as well.

i'll add dan birmingham and don house. birmingham had winky, lacy and now thurman. that doesn't happen by accident.

don house has been in the game for a while...he's a hired gun.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 27 2013, 10:43 PM) *
kevin cunningham is not new to the game. he trained corey spinks from the beginning as well.

i'll add dan birmingham and don house. birmingham had winky, lacy and now thurman. that doesn't happen by accident.

don house has been in the game for a while...he's a hired gun.

Wow, didnt realize that was Cunningham. I like Birmingham with Winky as well. I think its about the perfect storm between trainer and fighter that makes the situation right. Its hard to say who the absolute best is because of this.
BrutUalBK
Maybe he was mentioned somewhere in this thread I haven't read entirely through it yet and I know he is deceased but Bowie Fisher was absolutely one of the best; the man knew exactly what to tell his fighter to do and he never said too much.

Very highly underrated IMHO.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 28 2013, 01:44 PM) *
Maybe he was mentioned somewhere in this thread I haven't read entirely through it yet and I know he is deceased but Bowie Fisher was absolutely one of the best; the man knew exactly what to tell his fighter to do and he never said too much.

Very highly underrated IMHO.

u can't mention nazim richardson without the thought of bouie fisher. very underrated.

i'll also throw another name out there... miller who used to train james toney.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 28 2013, 01:47 PM) *
u can't mention nazim richardson without the thought of bouie fisher. very underrated.

i'll also throw another name out there... miller who used to train james toney.

Yep, unfortunately for Miller it is Freddie Roach that gets all the credit for JT and that isn't right.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 28 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Yep, unfortunately for Miller it is Freddie Roach that gets all the credit for JT and that isn't right.

maybe to the casual fans...but not to those who really know.
scdrking2
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 27 2013, 11:50 PM) *
Wow, didnt realize that was Cunningham. I like Birmingham with Winky as well. I think its about the perfect storm between trainer and fighter that makes the situation right. Its hard to say who the absolute best is because of this.

And from local stories and observations, Cory Spinks did NOT follow directions well at all. In and out of the ring. He could have been really good. Tall, elusive lefty. Had a friend who is a bouncer at a pretty rowdy club here in St. Louis that was a regular hangout for Spinks and posse. Another who was exposed to his training camp after he left KC (or KC dumped him) and he spend no time on the heavy bag. Hence the lack of power.
daprofessor
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 28 2013, 01:52 PM) *
And from local stories and observations, Cory Spinks did NOT follow directions well at all. In and out of the ring. He could have been really good. Tall, elusive lefty. Had a friend who is a bouncer at a pretty rowdy club here in St. Louis that was a regular hangout for Spinks and posse. Another who was exposed to his training camp after he left KC (or KC dumped him) and he spend no time on the heavy bag. Hence the lack of power.

i was down in st. louis in '02 at the black expo for a boxing show and KC had a gang of boxers...all southpaws. devon alexander was the main one. everyone and their mama was wearing t-shirts with his pic on it. i took some boxers down there to compete. we won 1 of 3 bouts. all the kids were slick as shit! cunningham is an excellent coach.
scdrking2
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 28 2013, 01:59 PM) *
i was down in st. louis in '02 at the black expo for a boxing show and KC had a gang of boxers...all southpaws. devon alexander was the main one. everyone and their mama was wearing t-shirts with his pic on it. i took some boxers down there to compete. we won 1 of 3 bouts. all the kids were slick as shit! cunningham is an excellent coach.

KC takes a lot of heat and even at times I have wondered if his guys would benefit from getting more seasoned training as they approach championship level, but he took a lot of those kids from less and nothing and further than no where. He has saved a lot of those kids and they love him for it and he loves them back. Sometimes that makes up for a lack of experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.